Marvel Comics Thread

Comments

• TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    So this is Ms. Marvel's new look as Captain Marvel huh?
    [img][/img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m120el0Xer1qb0qmuo1_400.jpg

Not bad but...it won't last long huh?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,039 mod
    Tizoc the pic's not working for me (might just be the server that I'm on) but Crimsonspider89 beat you to it anyway.

She'll probably stay on as Captain Marvel for a good four to five years or so (that's the usual turn around for comics, after five years a lot of things snap back to 'normal' because the theory goes the audience changes).

Her book itself probably won't last because Marvel titles with female leads never do sadly. Fan demand kept M2 Spider-Girl around for as long as it did (Marvel's longest running heroine comic). I guess X-Men Legacy staring Rogue is skating by, but it didn't start out focusing on Rogue and the book's not named Rogue either.

Marvel doesn't really have a 'Wonder Woman.' Storm is usually the go-to-person for that (since Stan Lee dubbed her as Marvel's Wonder Woman) but she doesn't have her own book. This might be an attempt for Marvel to have a Wonder Woman.

Sadly the only thing that stops Wonder Woman from getting canceled is that it's one of DC's big 3 and they probably will never can it. Most of the time the sales are not there.

Unfortunately, unless the female character is 'slutting it up' like Witchblade or something along those lines the majority of the comic buying audience just doesn't care sadly.

Brain Wood will write Ultimate X-Men and adjectiveless X-Men.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wondercon-2012-x-men-brian-wood.html
  • NeREMIXEDNeREMIXED [S.H.] Joined: Posts: 1,954
    Avx is almost here!

But why jrjr and Adam kubert :(
    www.SkyHighMinds.com
    Watch as the fanbase and reviewers complain about the fights not being impressive or that they don't feel like 3-4 dollars for a 20 page slugfest isn't worth it =V
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 961
    can't please everyone.

anyone going to the avx launch parties at your lcs?
    Watch as the fanbase and reviewers complain about the fights not being impressive or that they don't feel like 3-4 dollars for a 20 page slugfest isn't worth it =V

I think that's what the AvX VS comics are for. 90% fighting I read, and they do effect the story.
    www.SkyHighMinds.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Joined: Posts: 0
    Sano: I think the other problem with female leads is that often times it feels like the premise or concept of the character is just to push the"girl power"aspect and often times the gender is the sole point of interest. This is especially a problem in a market that is dominated by males, so I think the way females are being written just isn't appealing to boys since they cant identify with the characters on a emotional level like they could with a male lead. I think to make a female lead appealing, they need to write her as a character first instead of a woman first, this way the gender just seems irrelevant because regardless of gender the character is still a great character,
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
    Sano: I think the other problem with female leads is that often times it feels like the premise or concept of the character is just to push the"girl power"aspect and often times the gender is the sole point of interest. This is especially a problem in a market that is dominated by males, so I think the way females are being written just isn't appealing to boys since they cant identify with the characters on a emotional level like they could with a male lead. I think to make a female lead appealing, they need to write her as a character first instead of a woman first, this way the gender just seems irrelevant because regardless of gender the character is still a great character,

Well said.

I don't think there's an easy solution. IMHO some people have written said characters in a way like you say, especially women writers like Marjorie Liu and Gail Simone. To toss in a few male writers here there's Sean McKeever of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane fame and Brian Reed in the former Ms. Marvel series. And Mike Carey when he was writing X-Men Legacy.

It's just difficult to generate interest because and a lot of people won't admit to it they want to see a half naked chick with loose morals. Hey I like Psylocke so I can't say I'm immune to that lol! At least Marvel doesn't pull a Witchblade and do stuff like having Sara say, "This is quite a bust," (referring to an arrest) and zoom in on her breasts. Yeah, that actually happened. o_O

Some of us who are older and um... can just go watch PRON if we want to didn't really sit well with Catwoman and Starfire 'slutting it up' after DC's reboot. Sadly maybe that's the way to target the male oriented audience.

Ms. Marvel's bikini suit is out so they can't go that route. [EMAIL='Q@uic']Quic[/EMAIL]k give her a team and call her book "Avengers Legacy!" :rofl:

The new ASM arc is off to a good start!

Good seeing Sabretooth in Wolverine's comic again. I'm just going to pretend The Hand brought Sabretooth back to life the same way they brought Mystique back so I won't have to read Loeb's take on it. :rofl:

The John Carter comic, God of Mars was cool too. Since it doesn't look like Disney is going to make a sequel to John Carter because it flopped it's nice to have a comic that tells you what happened after the film. Just me I'd rather just read a comic than hit a library. 8-)

Kinda sorta OT but whatevs. I knew that if I kept reading Infestation 2 I'd find a bootleg / fake version of Shuma-Gorath since they were going with Lovecraft creeps. So I found him in TMNT Infestation #2! :nunchuck:

He's an Elder God named "Shub-Niggurath" ha ha! Well, Shub-Niggurath is a real Lovecraftian character too. Robert E. Howard dropped the name Shuma-Gorath in one of his stories as a shout out to his friend Lovecraft. Later Marvel fleshed out Shuma-Gorath and the rest is history is like they say.

Anyway, in the comic Shub is red, has more tentacles, way more eyes and way more mouths (Shuma-Gorath only had a mouth when he appeared in Conan The Barbarian). Big difference is that Shub-Niggurath is weaker than Shuma-Gorath though. I mean he was beaten by the Turtles sans magic as opposed to, Doctor Strange throwing up hand signs. :rofl: Anyway really nice! :wgrin:
  • akumatruniggaakumatrunigga Joined: Posts: 3,312
    "I'm a dude I can't relate to a chick". Sums it up basically.
    Xanatos: You know the answer to that Owen. Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.
  • BENSKIBENSKI ~V4~ Joined: Posts: 1,083
    Come join us in this Facebook group about comic books..Im like the only one out off 100 plp in it trying to educate plp how amazing comics are...someone help..
    -Benski Designs-
    http://www.youtube.com/watchthoseguys review show
    Preview page that's not lettered for Avengers vs. X-Men 2 might just confirm which side Wolverine is on. Possible spoiler.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=56822&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Yo Sano, don't ban me, but Greg Land is the artist on issue #4 ONLY of Avenging Spidey, so get on dat next ish brah!
    Yeah, I'm getting the Lienel Francis Yu issue but I might skip on the crossover that will follow if they force me to buy the other related books.

Missing Joe Mad. Rulk getting his ass beat to a bloody pulp was beautiful. I almost cried. Or laughed. Or both.

EDIT: Speaking of, Captain America knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man, because he was dead during One More Day??? Great just what I was missing. More One More Day / OMIT confusion. :wasted:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=56832&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    from his facebook page

Joe Madureira
    Yes, I will in fact be coming back to Avenging Spider-Man. My next arc is already in the works, and I'm pants-crappingly excited about it. I'm not exactly sure which issue it will be, I'd rather not speculate. Marvel should announce it soon. Hopefully they will post the cover soon. Stay tuned!!
    anyone from the LA/OC SoCal area? Just wondering what is THE comic book store to go to.
    www.SkyHighMinds.com
    anyone from the LA/OC SoCal area? Just wondering what is THE comic book store to go to.

Golden Apple on Melrose. I've met JRJR, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Jonathan Hickman, Rob Liefeld, Greg Pak, Robert Kirkman, Kevin Eastman, Chris Yost, Craig Kyle, etc. there. That area you can find 2 other comic stores there also; up the street there is Melrose Music, half music store and comic store its not as big as Golden Apple but its there. Then there is Meltdown Comics down on Sunset across the street from Guitar Center, its bigger than Golden Apple.

Golden Apple has 20% off new comics every Monday and back issues 2 for a dollar. 10% off when you get a pull list, doesn't stack on Mondays. They have deals here and there. They have top tier guests when they have events there, but this Saturday at Meltdown there doing a launch party for Ultimate Spider-Man. Jeph Loeb, Paul Dini, Clark Gregg, etc will be there http://marvel.com/news/story/18388/ultimate_spider-man_kickoff_parties_in_ny_la

Also on Tuesday both Golden Apple and Meltdown will have Avengers vs X-Men parties but Meltdown is having Ed Brubaker show up.
    AvX #0 was good fun. Love the artwork.

But FF, DAMN the last few pages almost made me yell out "OOOO!!!!" (Rhymes with 'domino.') And I'm at a Subways restaurant lol! BTW did I say DAMN yet? :eek:

All I've been able to read so far.

• RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    FF ending was great.

And Franklin Richards........just damn.
  • RedbeardRedbeard Redbeard Senchou Joined: Posts: 3,317
    FF was mind blowing.

Avenging Spider-Man was good too. My favorite issue of the run so far.
    "Ships would not be intimidated by being boarded by Assbeard. The best he could ever do for a comeback, and maybe it would work, would be to call ol Red Beard a Red-Ass-Beard. Ginger ass pirate, along the lines of: "Does the sheet match the curtains?" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    Playstation Network: RedbeardSenchou
    League of Legends IGN: Redbeard Senchou
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,512 mod
    Tizoc the pic's not working for me (might just be the server that I'm on) but Crimsonspider89 beat you to it anyway.

She'll probably stay on as Captain Marvel for a good four to five years or so (that's the usual turn around for comics, after five years a lot of things snap back to 'normal' because the theory goes the audience changes).

Her book itself probably won't last because Marvel titles with female leads never do sadly. Fan demand kept M2 Spider-Girl around for as long as it did (Marvel's longest running heroine comic). I guess X-Men Legacy staring Rogue is skating by, but it didn't start out focusing on Rogue and the book's not named Rogue either.

Marvel doesn't really have a 'Wonder Woman.' Storm is usually the go-to-person for that (since Stan Lee dubbed her as Marvel's Wonder Woman) but she doesn't have her own book. This might be an attempt for Marvel to have a Wonder Woman.

Sadly the only thing that stops Wonder Woman from getting canceled is that it's one of DC's big 3 and they probably will never can it. Most of the time the sales are not there.

Unfortunately, unless the female character is 'slutting it up' like Witchblade or something along those lines the majority of the comic buying audience just doesn't care sadly.

Brain Wood will write Ultimate X-Men and adjectiveless X-Men.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wondercon-2012-x-men-brian-wood.html
    I never really gave much thought to that but its so very true.... thats really disappointing when I think about it.

Even mystique, she hulk, and the emma book couldn't stick around and they where fairly "loose" or "loose" looking.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
    I think i'll buy the FF books digital. Is the human torch running around with Spidey?

i haven't got a chance to read end of the world yet, but I bought the 1st variant, and will prob get the rest.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    Avenging spider-Man was good, but HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLA GAY
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    I think i'll buy the FF books digital. Is the human torch running around with Spidey?

Next month they'll be living together but I don't think that will last more than one issue so Torch hanging out with Spidey in ASM fits. Well maybe a couple of issues at best.

Avengers with Vision was a really good read. Good use of She-Hulk and Magneto. If you haven't read the Avengers vs. X-Men #0 issue yet and are getting both comics read Avengers first. It will have a greater impact.

Astonishing X-Men wasn't mind boggling just yet but I have high hopes for Marjorie Liu's run. Please don't let me down lol!
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I never really gave much thought to that but its so very true.... thats really disappointing when I think about it.

Even mystique, she hulk, and the emma book couldn't stick around and they where fairly "loose" or "loose" looking.

Mystique and She-Hulk had pretty good runs. In this era, I feel like getting a solid 24+ issues of an ongoing series is respectable.

That Emma Frost solo series was awful, though.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    Next month they'll be living together but I don't think that will last more than one issue so Torch hanging out with Spidey in ASM fits. Well maybe a couple of issues at best.
    I hope it last for awhile though i know it won't.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    Picture from Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes with either a huge roster or a whole lot of guest stars. Spidey and Wolvie woot woot!

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/03/29/is-avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes-getting-unlimited-in-season-two/

Interesting to note is that Luke Cage is older here than he is on Ultimate Spider-Man so if that show is in continuity with Avengers EMH they are not happening at the same time. Unless there's freaky time travel stuff going on.

Or the shows are unrelated. Jeph Loeb did say the shows would kick off a new Marvel Animated Universe before though. But, he's Jeph Loeb so...

man luke looking like a bum lol....
    -Bokkin
    I'm going to see Jeph Loeb tomorrow XD.

With Paul Dini on Marvel now the shows and animated movies should be much better now.
  • crimsonspider89crimsonspider89 Scarlet for DLC Joined: Posts: 2,984
    AvX #0 was good, set up the story. With Scarlet and Vision looking to play a major role from the looks of it. UXF was great, FF made me laugh my ass off. Legacy was better. GO CHAMBER!

Did I miss any that I usually read? Next week WaTXM along with AvX #1 which is reportedly already leaked.
    Zero is now Ichigo. Deal.
    Tools will support tools. Let it be spread.
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm going to see Jeph Loeb tomorrow XD.

With Paul Dini on Marvel now the shows and animated movies should be much better now.

Yup. And not just Dini, but Man of Action (Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Steven T. Seagle, and Duncan Rouleau). Bendis is working on the cartoon, too, isn't he?

I wonder if Jeph Loeb will be a better TV show writer than comic book writer. Teen Wolf and Commando are two of the finest achievements of 20th century western cinema, so I'm hopeful he can replicate that genius precision on the small screen.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
    Bendis is writing/producing on the show.

I can't wait for Season 2 of EMH. I think USM is an hour on Sunday.
    AvX 0 sold out day one in San Diego So I got a copy while I was still here in Maryland.

Going to check out meltdown and golden apple on Tuesday.
    www.SkyHighMinds.com
  • SektorSektor Joined: Posts: 334
    Deadpool max is ending (again)

It'll be sad to see it go so soon but it was a great run
    Bison Dollars
    Earlier today I got to watch the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. I waited about 20 mins in line to get some comics signed by Jeph Loeb. Paul Dini, Misty Lee, Steven Seagle, Ducan Roleau were all present there except for Clark Gregg. He got there late. They gave out the Ultimate Spider-Man premier comic to get signed. Clark Gregg arrived got my Iron Man and Thor blurays signed. The store was being stingy about how many items you can get signed. I told Loeb about it and he was nice enough to sign my 5 comics.
    Yeah they had a party at Midtown Comics for it yesterday where they aired the first episode of Ultimate Spider-Man but I couldn't attend. About to watch it on TV in an hour though!

Say did anyone else catch the fake Spider-Man villain on Young Justice? I think Josh Keaton may have voiced him too, sounded similar. Peter David wrote the episode but I think Greg Weisman of Spectacular Spider-Man fame was having a bit of fun lol! :D

Daredevil was fantastic this week, Mole Man going all fat-fu acrobatic was funny and awesome XD

Avenging Spiderman was OK, but the internet blew the Liberty Bonds thing out of proportion.

FF 16 was amazing, but DAMNIT VALERIA
    You can love Doom all you want, HE'LL BACKSTAB YOU WHEN HE GETS THE CHANCE.
    Still the final pages was just friggin' mind blowing.
    DOOM!

Say did anyone else catch the fake Spider-Man villain on Young Justice? I think Josh Keaton may have voiced him too, sounded similar. Peter David wrote the episode but I think Greg Weisman of Spectacular Spider-Man fame was having a bit of fun lol! :D

Actually that's Black Spider, he appeared in a previous episode of Young Justice-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spider#Television
    ...What surprised me was that one of their teleporters is a friggin' Police Box XD
    Teen Wolf...

Funny you mentioned that. In the first episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Peter repeated the same line from Teen Wolf about Scott and Boof running away when they were kids but they just kept going around the block. Of course it was Pete and MJ instead.

So far Spectacular Spider-Man is better than Ultimate Spider-Man IMHO but the first few eps were alright. I'll keep watching.

I liked Ultimate Spiderman, it's like a more kid friendly version of Batman BatB~
    ...and Sano you did watch Avengers' Season 2 premiere right? Doom was a boss in it \m/
    ...and Sano you did watch Avengers' Season 2 premiere right? Doom was a boss in it \m/

Oh yeah I saw that episode really early during New York Comic Con last year. I liked how they used the Fantastic Four and Doom.