Marvel Comics Thread

Comments

• blazeu25blazeu25 blaze it up Joined: Posts: 2,054
    why does colossus have jags helmet?
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 961
    why does colossus have jags helmet?

http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_542

Is the Ultron War/Age of Ultron taking place after AvX?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Joined: Posts: 0
    Gambit gets a new ongoing series.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/04/15/c2e2-gambit-gets-new-ongoing-series

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

I'm a gambit fan so I'll be checking this out for sure, oddly enough I can't remember the last time he ever had a solo series or 1 shot(mind is drawing a blank).

Hey what's a good store to order online from by the way?

I'm looking for a lot of back issues but I have no clue what online store would have the best resource and best deals?
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    It's funny how there are as many Gambit haters as there are fans, at least from what I've seen lurking the net.
    ...but I can't be the only one looking forward to 2 of the creative team behind Immortal Iron Fist's new series am I?
    HAWKEYE2012002_02.jpg
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    I hate that costume so much, looks far to generic.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • True TatsuTrue Tatsu Senpuu or Seppuku Joined: Posts: 1,657
    Kaine's no Ben Reilly, but I'm planning to stick with it. They just don't ridicule Texas nearly as much as Texas deserves to be ridiculed.
    I've been jonesing for the return of Kaine ever since Eddie Broc was without his Venom symbiote. Not hatin on Flash Thompson getting to walk again, but neither was what i had in mind... :bluu:
    why does colossus have jugs helmet?
    see Fear Itself :coffee:
    :sad: tier bending :bluu: the saltiest of techniques :shake:
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,068 mod

http://www.mailordercomics.com/

http://www.midtowncomics.com/

KZA - Ultron War is supposed to be Bendis' last Avengers story so in theory it will take place after AvX. In theory anyway.
  • SektorSektor Joined: Posts: 334
    I'm looking for a lot of back issues but I have no clue what online store would have the best resource and best deals?

TFAW.com is my personal favorite.

That Hawkeye #2 cover looks pretty awesome
    Bison Dollars
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I hate Gambit so much. What a stupid, insulting character. His costume makes no sense and he speaks likes Batroc the Leaper and every other stereotypical French guy ever.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-713428097/sets/between-the-gutters
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/between-the-gutters-podcast/id1311976402
    I'm rather indifferent to Gambit either way (don't love or hate him really) but I do wish he was included in the X-Men anime. Both himself and Psylocke would really flourish in that genre, particularly with their projectile and energy based attacks. I get that they went with current favorites from Whedon and Morrison's runs and stuff. I still enjoyed the anime all the same. The cameos in the last episode were really cool.
    I think gambit is a badass, sure maybe he's the typical french guy(or what people think a french guy would be)but out of all the characters to translate to other media I think he has been one of the best. He was funny and cool in the 90's cartoon and a series favorite during the high point of x-men comics during that same time. I would like to see him more involved again and I think a solo run will do him justice.
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
    Outside of the Carey/Bachalo run, I can't really think of any outstanding Gambit moments that made me think he was actually cool. So many of his "iconic" moments are just Claremont (or Lobdell, or Niceza) forcing him to be as badass as '90s Wolverine. It was like Jim Lee (or whoever designed his stupid costume with the purple armor, metal boots, fingerless hobo gloves, and utterly pointless head thing) thought that adding a trench coat and a stereotypical French accent would automatically make Gambit a badass. (I guess that's why Jim Lee gave Grifter a trench coat.) I feel like all my top memories of Gambit involve this one kid who used to play MvC2 at my old arcade and do the Gambit glitch whenever he was frustrated at all the losing.

Now that I've had a moment to reflect on it, still in shock that Jim Lee didn't give the Grifter a stereotypical French accent. Or metal boots.
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
    Marjorie Liu had a great Gambit in her X-23 run. Uncanny X-Men 350 is another good Gambit issue. I still have my Uncanny X-Men 266. He used to be my favorite character but then he really didn't stick out that much so I lost interest in him.
  • SektorSektor Joined: Posts: 334
    Agreed Gambit was pretty cool in X-23 but that's all I've read of him. Haven't seen him in anything else
    Bison Dollars
    Yeah funny how to make the character cool they had to drop all the stupid "badass" shit. Him telling her that Peter Pan story and telling off Logan a bit about how he was handling her situation were great.
    My initial reaction was to make an offhand comment about how X-23 is an even dumber character than Gambit, but I'll give the Marjorie Liu run a chance eventually... Her NYX didn't totally suck and I gotta support an Asian in comics, I suppose.

Also, I never understood why Gambit's wearing a thong on the cover of Uncanny #266.
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    I just read Fear Itself last week. (Found all the issues in a 50-cent bin.) I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, considering it was Fraction and Immonen. I still think Marvel's secret crisis crossover war events are a lot better than DC's, with the exception of Final Crisis.

final crisis was the worst one of all. hell i even bought the trade and TRIED to like it. story was bad
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    Outside of the Carey/Bachalo run, I can't really think of any outstanding Gambit moments that made me think he was actually cool. So many of his "iconic" moments are just Claremont (or Lobdell, or Niceza) forcing him to be as badass as '90s Wolverine. It was like Jim Lee (or whoever designed his stupid costume with the purple armor, metal boots, fingerless hobo gloves, and utterly pointless head thing) thought that adding a trench coat and a stereotypical French accent would automatically make Gambit a badass. (I guess that's why Jim Lee gave Grifter a trench coat.) I feel like all my top memories of Gambit involve this one kid who used to play MvC2 at my old arcade and do the Gambit glitch whenever he was frustrated at all the losing.

Now that I've had a moment to reflect on it, still in shock that Jim Lee didn't give the Grifter a stereotypical French accent. Or metal boots.

I hate to be a fanboy here but I strongly disagree with this statement about gambit. I think gambit's "effect"lost some luster because at some point in time he became a bit over saturated. It happened with logan,peter,wade and is bound to happen to any character who reaches a certain point of popularity. Enough time has passed for him to become relevant again, but this time tempered with less camp and a bit more characterization on the man behind the accent....also would be nice to see a bit more of his"hit on anything wearing a skirt"swag come back.
    - Sasha Grey
    I hate Gambit so much. What a stupid, insulting character. His costume makes no sense and he speaks likes Batroc the Leaper and every other stereotypical French guy ever.
    You're just jealous you don't have a sexy cajun accent as he does =V
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    final crisis was the worst one of all. hell i even bought the trade and TRIED to like it. story was bad
    You are such a master baiter.

I hate to be a fanboy here but I strongly disagree with this statement about gambit. I think gambit's "effect"lost some luster because at some point in time he became a bit over saturated. It happened with logan,peter,wade and is bound to happen to any character who reaches a certain point of popularity. Enough time has passed for him to become relevant again, but this time tempered with less camp and a bit more characterization on the man behind the accent....also would be nice to see a bit more of his"hit on anything wearing a skirt"swag come back.
    My problem with Gambit (besides his horrible costume design) is his characterization. Outside of Mike Carey (and Chris Bachalo drawing him), Gambit's always basically been a jerk. It's like writers/editors think he's supposed to be this supercool, badass lady killer who straddles the line between hero and scoundrel. But what ends up happening is that the creators never really figure out what he's supposed to be. They just make him switch sides and change loyalties over and over.

I mean, first we got Gambit as a member of this secret bayou assassins guild, or thieves guild or whatever it was. Then he joins the all-new, all-different Uncanny X-Men, only to have it come out that he was a member of Mister Sinister's Marauders when they killed a buncha mutants living in the sewers. But I guess everyone forgives him and he's a full-fledged X-Man, only he's a complete ass and keeps on getting into fights with Wolverine and Bishop. Eventually, he and Rogue leave the X-Men so they can define their relationship, only Gambit's a complete ass and keeps on getting into fights with her. When they rejoin the X-Men, Gambit has an affair with Mystique (Rogue's foster mom) and then becomes Apocalypse's Horseman of Death. Of course, he gets better and rejoins the X-Men, only to betray them to the Marauders during the Messiah CompleX affair. Even though he's a complete ass, he then reforms (again) and fights to save Charlie Xavier's life. I guess he's still a good guy now?

That's just convoluted, man.

Wait, what? I didn't even have to check Wikipedia. Why do I know this crap? I hate Gambit...
    Lmao well it's the same thing with magneto who is sometimes a hero, sometimes a villian or sometimes just in the middle. I actually think joining the horseman is when the"villian"antics should have suspended for him cause if I was the x-men I'd be like"dude wtf"lol. However I always saw him as a han solo type in that he's ultimately a force for good but kind of ass about it and maybe even slightly untrustworthy. His solo run could possibly define and give him a permanent "placement"in terms of characterization....but I can't fault him for screwing rouge and her step mom ha.
    - Sasha Grey
  • NeREMIXEDNeREMIXED [S.H.] Joined: Posts: 1,954
    I put FF4 on my pull list with #600 and have been hooked ever since. Hickman's writing and Epting's art...omg. I've asked myself each issue why I never read FF4 before (especially after reading the latest Future Foundation) so I bought a trade of the last arc and I'm asking myself again, "why the fuck have I never read FF4 before?!"

It's so good, I recently read that Stegman is going to leave Scarlet Spider and jump on FF4. I don't know what will become of Epting, if he'll stay in the art rotation or leave. I hope he'll go to Uncanny X-Men though. That book has seriously been lacking, in art and story. Just super duper mediocre all around which is bad for the flagship 'X' title.

Also it's a damn shame that FF4 isn't in the top 10 comic sales every month.
    www.SkyHighMinds.com
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,252
    Gambit was good during his solo run with New Son and he was written well enough during the Blue and Gold team era X-Men.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    Only read AvX 2 and ASM so far.

AvX was kind of meh but I did like that one scene of the two teams running towards each other just like the 90's X-Men cartoon intro lol!

ASM was pretty cool. Best use of Doctor Octopus ever.
    Caught up. The Wolverine and the X-Men AvX tie-in had stuff that should have been in the main story. The Avengers AvX tie-in had stuff that I'm glad is not in the main story. :rofl:

Shout out to X-Force though. I love this comic! :lovin:
    Latest Punisher issue was great, but that ending...hmmm. Also Spidey and Punisher are a fun combination. I just hope there'll be a story where Spidey drives Punisher bonkers that he'll actually give him a non-calm response.
    Didn't care much for AvX TBH =P
    Punisher reminds me of Snake too much and I like it.
  • Kusanagi FireKusanagi Fire Joined: Posts: 52
    ASM this week was pretty darn cool. Really enjoyed the way the battle with Sandman was handled. Can't wait for the next issue.

Stegman leaving Scarlet Spider makes me sad. Hopefully the book gets an equally talented artist.

AvX... ugh. I know, I know, it's only two books in, but man. I really want Marvel to have a GREAT event for a change. Not feeling JRJR's pencils in issue #2 (it was good in the first issue) either.
  • BladeOfJusticeBladeOfJustice The Just Blade Joined: Posts: 812
    AvX... ugh. I know, I know, it's only two books in, but man. I really want Marvel to have a GREAT event for a change. Not feeling JRJR's pencils in issue #2 (it was good in the first issue) either.

That's why I'm looking forward the "AVX: VS" series, when they start coming out. Better artwork and we get to see the fights we've I've been waiting for(Stark v.s Magnus). It took me a while to realize that there's two series covering the issue. I hate jr.jr's art, occasionally it looks decent, but for the most part, his art is terrible. It's the only thing I hate in this series, like when he draws Iron Man's Mark 37 armor, I feel like he completely redesigns it tot he point where I don't even recognize it. That, and everyone looks "block-y" for some reason.
  • RedbeardRedbeard Redbeard Senchou Joined: Posts: 3,317
    JrJr's art is like needles in my eyeballs.
    "Ships would not be intimidated by being boarded by Assbeard. The best he could ever do for a comeback, and maybe it would work, would be to call ol Red Beard a Red-Ass-Beard. Ginger ass pirate, along the lines of: "Does the sheet match the curtains?" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    Playstation Network: RedbeardSenchou
    League of Legends IGN: Redbeard Senchou
    IMO when JR Jr. rushes, his art isn't very good. His art for JMS' Spiderman run was fantastic IMO.
    JrJr's art is like needles in my eyeballs.
    Apparantly he's a good worker, which is why marvel still has him around, yet I still wish he'd stop drawing. Or that they at least found someone else to do the main storyline artwork, takes away from the enjoyment. At this point I'm just reading it for the story, because the way he draws Tony drives me crazy... Wtf is he drawing?

tumblr_lfx735pyTE1qzlpr4o1_500.jpg 1160130-iron_man___new_armor_super.jpg
    I think he gets the job for these events because he can crank out fast work. Probably when they are going for quantity over quality, they look to JrJr. I can understand that.

But I agree, his Iron Man art is by far the most bothersome. And the face of any female.
    "Ships would not be intimidated by being boarded by Assbeard. The best he could ever do for a comeback, and maybe it would work, would be to call ol Red Beard a Red-Ass-Beard. Ginger ass pirate, along the lines of: "Does the sheet match the curtains?" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    His art dipped in quality but I do like the art in Kick Ass but when it transitions over to the Avengers it looks bad. AvX 1 did look good though.
    The only issue of AvX I've enjoyed so far was the Wolverine & the Xmen tie in. Hoping it gets better in coming issues.

Does anybody else think it is absolutely absurd for somebody with normal human durability like Cyclops to take a shield throw to the temple and not have their skull split open?
    This event is shit and it's comics, things don't make sense.
    I love how utopia is so free to Tony's tech lol.
    Wow, there are actually people who don't like JRjr's art?

You all deserve Avengers Vs. X-Men.
  • MadeManG74MadeManG74 Joined: Posts: 669
    Latest Punisher issue was great, but that ending...hmmm. Also Spidey and Punisher are a fun combination. I just hope there'll be a story where Spidey drives Punisher bonkers that he'll actually give him a non-calm response.
    Didn't care much for AvX TBH =P

I only just read the first Trade of the this new Punisher series (issues 1-5) and I really liked it. Seems like a good balance between Ennis/Aaron's ultra dark Punisher from MAX and the wacky stuff I saw a bit of in the Fraction run from way back (never read that series though).

Are these Spiderman/Daredevil crossovers all under the Punisher label/series, or are they a seperate mini-series? I might check them out at the not-so-local comic shop next time I'm in town.