Marvel Comics Thread

Comments

• boxbox Joined: Posts: 1,611
    Got Mighty Avengers this week. I'm enjoying this more I did New Avengers. Nice to see the way the team operates on their first mission and how they interact. Miss Marvel, Wasp and Black Widow all stepped up into leadership roles.
  • FrazCTF4LIFEFrazCTF4LIFE The Hardcore Gamer Joined: Posts: 99
    Well guys i work in a comic store in downtown Manhattan and if you want to know whats going down im your guy on the inside biz. Anyways I read Captain America 26 the long awaited next issue and also read the new FF. I wont spoil it for anyone but both were goood reads.
    Mess with the best die like the rest. ZeroCool
  • DSDS Hell Revealed Joined: Posts: 4,904
    This month's Ultimate Xmen was actually the best one so far. I'm loving Kirkman's take on the Morlocks. Good shit, so far. For some reason, Bishop can't be trusted. There's just something about him that make's me think he's up to something big.

Uncanny Xmen was alright. The whole deal with the M'Kran(sp?) crystal and Xavier was so fucking predictable.
    I predicted 12 issues ago that this would be the arc where he got his powers back, and guess what? Xavier get's them back.

Other than that, the way things ended could only mean that there's gonna be more Shi'ar stuff happening in the coming months. BTW, was this only a 12 issue run for Bru, or is he gonna stay on the book?

And am I the only person NOT enjoying The Mighty Avengers? It just feels like we have to sit through the dialogue and KNOW what the fuck they're all thinking at the moment.

As for the Ultimates: Hawkeye was issue 13. 'Nuff said.

Fallen Son: Captain America was good. We got to see why Clint ended up joining the New Avengers.
    <Chibi> ill make sure to have komi invite you when he weds his hug pillow though
    <@bellreisa>; you may now kiss the waifu
    <@bellreisa>; if you're lucky she might even kiss back
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,064 mod
    Only read a few Marvel books this week.

Mighty Avengers - Tygra's cameo was too good! :rofl:

Uncanny X-Men - Overall a good issue.
    So Corsair died? Man Brubaker's an assassin. RIP Corsair, you were gangsta... Still I loved where it left things off though. Havok and Polaris as Starjammers and is Hepzibah gonna become an X-Men? And Prof. X got his mental powers back (yeah it was predictable though lol) and he can walk at the same time, will he have these powers in time to face off against the Hulk in WWH? Arg this sets up some good stuff down the line, can't wait to see how things play out!
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • Kira YamatoKira Yamato Flying Thunder God!! Joined: Posts: 60
    Can anyone tell me which issue and comic this spider-man picture is from?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7361/spideyps4.jpg
    Marvel comics I read this week:

Friendly Spider-Man Annual - Freaking rules! A look back at Sandman's life by the legendary Peter David! He even explained why Sandman let Spider-Man suck him up in a vaccuum cleaner in their first fight ever! :rofl: PAD for President!

Captain America - WHAT THE? Brubaker said there was gonna be an autopsy in this issue and I didn't see it. Come on man I want to see Cap's guts Six Feet Under TV Show style YEEEES! Good issue but I wanted to see the damn autopsy... scientists can't find the 'Soul Gland' in the human body but what about the 'Super Serium' gland Cap has huh? HUH? Eh maybe next ish...

She-Hulk - HA! HA! HA! We finally get to see Tony Stark punk Shulkie, you don't mess with MARVEL'S GREATEST VILLAIN (Copyright 2006 thru until Hulk kicks his Ass) and expect to walk away unscathed now that's just crazy talk! :looney:

X-Men was fun. Like MC Hammer would say, STOP! SPOILER TIME!
    So this Mystique / Iceman hook up is real I guess, I give it 2 months before Mystique does some messed up crap to mess it up. Still not sure if she lost her powers on M Day or not. Now if Rogue touches you, YOU DIE so that's gonna be something to screw with her head big time when Satsui No Hadou Gambit returns next ish with the Marauders for the big 200th issue of X-Men throwdown oh yeah!
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Can anyone tell me which issue and comic this spider-man picture is from?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7361/spideyps4.jpg

I'm not exactly sure. But if I had to venture a guess, I would guess that it's from Spider-Man: Venom Vs. Carnage by Peter "I Need To Pay Rent" Milligan and Clayton Crain. That image certainly looks like Crain's current style, and it's got Venom and Carnage.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-713428097/sets/between-the-gutters
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/between-the-gutters-podcast/id1311976402
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Are there any plans to make any civil war hardcovers? cuz i plan on getting the road to civil war, civil war, young avengers+runaways, and frontline tpb's but if they come out with any HC's which i prefer for exactly the reasons sano posted then i'ma be pissed so can someone shed some light.

Just finished reading ultimate ironman vol1it was a very different take on the pro-reg bastard it was a little slow at first but picked up after the bullies threw him in the incinerator n i noticed he can take his suit off so i'm assuming he doesn't fuse with it via techno organic virus till much later on.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,082
    So Corsair died? Man Brubaker's an assassin. RIP Corsair, you were gangsta... Still I loved where it left things off though. Havok and Polaris as Starjammers and is Hepzibah gonna become an X-Men? And Prof. X got his mental powers back (yeah it was predictable though lol) and he can walk at the same time, will he have these powers in time to face off against the Hulk in WWH? Arg this sets up some good stuff down the line, can't wait to see how things play out!

Nah, I have a feeling that at that time, he'll be
    Fixing Rogue, cuz apparently those Shiar brain-suckers made her go just a little bit crazy.

But hey, if Spiderman and Wolverine taught us anything, it's that you can have 4 of your own solo adventures, while being in two different teams and still manage to get the job done.

And this month's Cable/Deadpool made me sad.
    Seriously, the entire issue was about him prepping himself for taking down the Mummudrai and then like 3 pages into Xmen he just goes 'go get him, Rogue.' That and they do way too much Outlaw-related cock blocking. Either have her take off her top or don't.

But none of that really matters...cuz I'm gonna KILL TONY STARK!
  • ShinkuuRShinkuuR Still Pissed Joined: Posts: 1,070
    So at a local bookstore(books-a-million), they have some Marvel HC's and Trades for buy 2 get 1 free. I already have/read most of the stuff they had, but I am curious about Ultimate FF since I've read the first trade and thought it's ok.

Does anyone know if the series is solid enough for me to buy 3 trades of it? Should I save up the money and buy the Annilation Trade instead(even though I know SHIT about the characters in it) and just some other random stuff? Should I just say 'fuck it' and buy the Criminal trade instead(since Bru did it?)

Help!
    Being the only person to follow the rules, and then getting mocked relentlessly by my peers for it... that's the kind of shit that creates supervillans.
    -Shaft Agent

SF4 Rose matches: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShinkuuR
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    So this Mystique / Iceman hook up is real I guess, I give it 2 months before Mystique does some messed up crap to mess it up. Still not sure if she lost her powers on M Day or not. Now if Rogue touches you, YOU DIE so that's gonna be something to screw with her head big time when Satsui No Hadou Gambit returns next ish with the Marauders for the big 200th issue of X-Men throwdown oh yeah!
    If she did lose her powers, the writers fucked up. Mutants who lose their powers are supposed to lose all aspects of the mutation (ie blue skin)
    The thing is that she has not used her powers at all after M Day as far as I can tell unless I missed something. So I just don't know either way. I think it's just writers screwing with us unless I'm forgetting something... last time I remember her using her powers was the story when she tried to seduce Gambit that took place before House of M.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So at a local bookstore(books-a-million), they have some Marvel HC's and Trades for buy 2 get 1 free. I already have/read most of the stuff they had, but I am curious about Ultimate FF since I've read the first trade and thought it's ok.

Does anyone know if the series is solid enough for me to buy 3 trades of it? Should I save up the money and buy the Annilation Trade instead(even though I know SHIT about the characters in it) and just some other random stuff? Should I just say 'fuck it' and buy the Criminal trade instead(since Bru did it?)

Help!
    For Ult FF are you referring to the tpb's or the hardcovers? I've read the first 4 trades and they are solid but not spectacular. I think you would like the Annihilation trade more. It doesn't matter if you don't know the characters since they treat everyone to a new introduction.

Criminal has a trade already?
    Yup, the first CRIMINAAAAAAAAL!!!!!11 TPB, "Coward," is already out.

Ultimate FF was all right. I'm with Giddy on this one- the Ellis run is solid, but it probably won't blow you away or anything. It's not Ellis' best work, but it even Warren Ellis' "I Need To Pay Rent" comics are still better than average.

Is there an actual TPB for Annihilation? I thought they were releasing the whole saga as a trilogy of HCs?
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
    Yeah, I assumed he was talking about the hardcovers, of which the first two volumes are out
    For Ult FF are you referring to the tpb's or the hardcovers? I've read the first 4 trades and they are solid but not spectacular. I think you would like the Annihilation trade more. It doesn't matter if you don't know the characters since they treat everyone to a new introduction.

Criminal has a trade already?

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=6514
    Criminal TPB came out 5/9. I didn't even realize it myself until I saw it today.

They only had the tpb's of UFF, and only books 1,5,6,and 7. I'll probably get Annihilation instead, but I'll have to buy another HC at the same time at that price...Maybe Kraven's Last Hunt or something...

I have to start catching up with X-Men...
    Being the only person to follow the rules, and then getting mocked relentlessly by my peers for it... that's the kind of shit that creates supervillans.
    -Shaft Agent

runaways is good in hardcover, also a new punisher max hardcover just came out along with the ultimate galactus trilogy hardcover
    Yeah. Kraven's Last Hunt is a classic Spidey story, but if you got a good deal, get all three Runaways HCs. Best "teen superteam" comic ever.
    come on now, runaways is good but it's no power pack...
  • flyboyz2000kflyboyz2000k Joined: Posts: 33
    New avengers illuminati was so wierd. I thought all the stuff Reed, Strange and xavier were saying was BS. I assume the beyonder is blackbolts son from reading silent war 4. If he is their son then he has every write to exist in that Universe. NAmor was the only smart one there, I am note even sure now if reed and co. actually believed what they were saying
    Yes I have debated against her, and yes she is hard headed, but it is still funny as hell.
    come on now, runaways is good but it's no power pack...

Bub, I said, "Best 'teen superteam'" and not "best pre-teen superteam." I know you like fantasizing about 9 year old Julie Power, but it was Runaways that let her grow up and, y'know, fill out.
    New avengers illuminati was so wierd. I thought all the stuff Reed, Strange and xavier were saying was BS. I assume the beyonder is blackbolts son from reading silent war 4. If he is their son then he has every write to exist in that Universe. NAmor was the only smart one there, I am note even sure now if reed and co. actually believed what they were saying

Issue was just weird.
    So Secret Wars II was the Illuminati's fault? Huh? And Beyonder got the Michael Jackson look when he came to Earth and looked at a magazine, I guess now he got it from his fake Manhattan? Strange strange Bendis... I suppose this murders the theory I heard years ago about the Beyonder being Spider-Man's son... even though that theory was a little out there...

Much like Wolverine was this month.
    Wild Child alive during World War II? WHAT? Oh and Feral dies maybe...

Weird weird week for Marvel...

On the positive side, I liked Spider-Man Fairy Tales. Though I wish they would of chosen a more obscure fairty tale other than Little Red Riding Hood the way X-Men Fairy Tales did but it was still a fun comic.
    I think Illuminati has been great. I'm not so hung up on the previously established continuity, so the things introduced in this mini are pretty interesting to me. It's got pretty good drama for stuff that's mostly flashbacks.

And Wolverine has been weak. The art is amazing, though- get Bianchi paired up with another writer. It's not just that Loeb's introducing all sorts of weird stuff to make the "Wolverine Mythos" seem even more layered... It's just that it's totally boring and adds nothing to the character. Who the heck wants to buy a comic book just to look at fight scenes with no real tension behind them. There's just no damn way Loeb can even hope to approach the top tierness of Origin. Loeb is no Paul Jenkins, that's for sure.
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    Loeb is no Paul Jenkins, that's for sure.

i'm sure lint would agree
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • Sheng-LongSheng-Long Joined: Posts: 1,419

I haven't read Silent War but Blackbolt in Illuminati said he doesn't remember Beyonder. I think its implied that he came from an alternate reality.

What did Reed, Xavier and Strange say that you thought was BS?
    I think Illuminati has been great. I'm not so hung up on the previously established continuity, so the things introduced in this mini are pretty interesting to me. It's got pretty good drama for stuff that's mostly flashbacks.

I have to re-read Secret Wars II issue #1 again but I think it can work and not mess up continuity too much, it's a little shoe-horned but the entire series is based on shoe-horning stuff in so it goes with the territory.

And if anything, Slott's gonna write a story in She-Hulk soon that's supposed to explain any continuity glitches, IE someone's been messing with Marvel continuity lol! Sounds like fun but I fear Slott will use this as an excuse to retcon She-Hulk sleeping with Juggernaut, just about the only good thing that Chuck Austen did... when Wolverine mentioned to She-Hulk about her sleeping with Juggernaut in her comic Slott had her say something like, "When did that happen?" :looney:

Lol speaking of Secret Wars II, while I didn't like the series that much via way too many tie-ins, the last issue, the last page was the first time I saw evolution when the Beyonder created his own planet and through the evolutionary process man was born on his world after billions of years. This caused me to ask my older brother "What the heck is that?" See, you can learn stuff from comics. :smile:
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    Wow...Avengers:The Initiative #3....man oh man Komodo gets punked HARD by Spiderman.
    Picked up New Warriors #1 too...looks interesting so far. Just want to see what this new team looks like.
    Read a bunch of Marvel comics this week.

Avengers Initiative - They try to capture Spider-Man. And, um, if you liked the Spider Robot armor pick this one up! And if you didn't like it, well pick this up anyway, or at least walk into a comic shop and check out the last few pages! Ha ha ha Tony Stark is a crazy bastard. :rofl:
    Say word Tony Stark has an army of Spider-Man Robot suits!

Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness - Ash and Doom dialog was hella funny!

Marvel Universe Mystic Arcana Book - Of course I haven't read the entire thing yet but it serves the purpose of most MU books nowadays, only features magical characters that have not gotten bios lately or people who need more updated bios. I was hella suprised they listed Shuma-Gorath's Iron Bound Clad books in the Magical Books section! I do so hopey Shuma-Gorath either appears in Mystic Arcana or maybe the Spider-Man/Red Sonja crossover... man you can't just tease someone with Bendis using his name as an Avengers password and that it maaaang!

Omega Flight - Needs more USAgent. The few lines he says talking crap steal the entire book!

Spider-Man Family - OH NOS no story from Mckeever this time! It's the beginning of the end waaaah... There was a cool story of the new female Scorpion fighting against the old Scorpion who is wearing Venom's suit now. And the wiiiiiinner -
    Female Scorpion took it oh man how many more times will Gargan Venom get punked lol!

Cool book all around. A fun Spidey / Fantastic Four story and a reprint of What If #1 which asked the question what if Spider-Man joined the FF. The Spider-Man J manga was actually pretty good for once.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane - Nice backstory about Flash Thompson's current financial troubles. I love how this book takes the time out to tell stories like that. Teen Felicia Hardy is HOT!

Both Spider-Man Family and Spidey Loves MJ had a really funny comic strip gag type story of Hulk going on his first date with Betty! That was TOO FUNNY! :rofl:

Uncanny X-Men - Really cool. Storm is in it, hooray! In the back of the book they hint about a new Starjammers book, and if you've read the last issue you know what that means heh, I'll just say the Starjammar crew has really changed lol! Spoilers for the rest of the ish -
    So it looks like Professor X knows Magneto is out there somewhere and the Morlocks are up to no good, Masque jacked up Caliban and looks like he is about to put a smack down on Leech ooohs....

Very good Marvel week for me.
  • Windlord0Windlord0 Swordsman for hire Joined: Posts: 465
    So I started reading the MAX Supreme Power, and what is with the mirrorring of major DC heroes. They are probably common hero types, but they even poke fun at the common conventions of the DC books. Did anyone ever explain why they made a whole series copying superman, batman, wonder woman and so forth. I am enjoying it so far, but somebody must have asked this question before I did. (I know it came from squadron supreme, but then why was that mimicing DC)
    chances are I could kill you
    (av: Hizen Hirosada Katana)
    Back in the '70s, before Marvel and DC did official crossovers, each company agreed to create their own JLA and Avengers analogues. So the JLA encountered a team of Avengers analogues and the Avengers encountered the Squadron Supreme. The Avengers analogues in the JLA comic were forgotten quickly, but the Squadron Supreme must have been well-received.

So the Squadron Supreme continued to make appearances in Marvel comics throughout the years, eventually spawning their very own maxi-series in the '80s.
  • akumatruniggaakumatrunigga Joined: Posts: 3,312
    Hey what is happening guys. I just wanted to post that I am really trying to get this gig with Diamond Comic Distributors. They are looking for a marketing representative and if thing turns out well, I'll make sure that I'll be that additional source you guys need.

Anyway moving on...

[spoiler= CAPTAIN AMERICA #26
    ] Bucky is a bit on the wacko side. But I dont blame him. It makes me wonder though. Was he the one that supposedly killed Iron Man and it states in......[/spoiler]
    did Iron man really die? Ultron was kicking some ass
    you know what IM is a str8 up bitch. I was hoping that she was going to really turn him to scrap metal
    as usual my man BP is the shit and kicking ass inspite of not having powers. I can see why every black hero wanted a piece of storm ass. (she went at Silver surfer head on) I was like dayum!
    Xanatos: You know the answer to that Owen. Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.
    In answer to your spoiler about Mighty Avengers #3 -
    No because that story happens prior to Iron Man character showing up in other books... he's gonna be alive at the end of the story.
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    So the big hooplah thats been going across various comic book forums turns out to be true
    *Spoiler*
    So near the end of New Avengers#31 we find out after Echo stabs Electra that Electra is a *SURPRISE* a Skrull warrior.
    I'm not surprised considering if you read New Avengers Illuminatti #1 this was gonna happen eventually but this makes u wonder who else could be a Skrull in disguise
    Kusanagi02 - Your post has been edited with a spoiler tag. Using a different color for lettering does not always work because people use different background colors / skins. :sweat:

So yeah just click edit on your post and see how I created the spoiler tag for future reference. Thanks. :smile:
    Marvel stuff I read this week, talked about World War Hulk briefly in the WWH thread -

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man - This was great, and Spider-Man busted out those dumb ass stingers because he was fighting a mystical opponent, and he even he said they were stupid. :rofl: A cop popped the back of a trunk that had a bunch of guns so he could arrest Spidey and he came up beside him and sang, "What you gonna do with all that junk with all that junk in your trunk?" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Man that's how Spidey SHOULD be written! Another writer I'm gonna miss since he will leave the book the same time JMS leaves... Some good stuff with JJJ too, spoilers -
    Robie told JJJ to cut Spidey a break, that deep down both he and JJJ must of known that Peter Parker was Spider-Man but were just in denial looking away from all of the evidence. JJJ later fired Robie. Seems like he and Spider-Man are finally gonna have it out.

Mystic Arcana Magik - Was lots of fun. Nice that they used with Magik without another dumb ass ressurection.

Nova - Fun book too. Spoilers -
    Nova kicked most of the Thunderbolt's asses, Bullseye was missing. He ran into Penance AKA Speedball. Ultimately he decided to leave Earth and go back to outer space because he wasn't going to register or become Anti-Reg. Too bad, I guess we won't get to see the Hulk / Nova throwdown, after Annihilation he is most def one of the people that could give Mr. Green Jeans a good fight.

New Avengers - Last but not least by any means. Hey Bendis, WHAT THE....??? Seems like an interesting idea but I want to see where they go with this one. I've really grown to love Yu's pencils on this book HUGE SHOCKER in the ish BTW.
    Elektra's a Skrull? And Luke Cage's baby too? HELLA WHOA... You know me, I can only hope they say that the real Elektra died during Frank Miller's run and she's been a Skrull ever since to do away with another dumb ass ressurection but I don't think Marvel will go that far... unless they do some crazyness like she's always been a Skrull... most likely they'll say she was replaced with a Skrull at some point. Don't know about Luke Cage's Skrull baby though that one is hella weird...
    So the big hooplah thats been going across various comic book forums turns out to be true
    *Spoiler*
    So near the end of New Avengers#31 we find out after Echo stabs Electra that Electra is a *SURPRISE* a Skrull warrior.
    I'm not surprised considering if you read New Avengers Illuminatti #1 this was gonna happen eventually but this makes u wonder who else could be a Skrull in disguise
    Since the green tint in Luke's daughter's eyes mean that she's probably a Skrull kid, does that mean that maybe Jessica or Luke are clones? Or both?? And if they aren't, where did the kid come from??

Shit is gonna get crazy.
    -Shaft Agent

• DSDS Hell Revealed Joined: Posts: 4,904
    World War Hulk #1. 'Nuff fucking said.

And yeah, New Avengers had a pretty weird plot twist. But, it's Bendis, so I expect that from him.
    <Chibi> ill make sure to have komi invite you when he weds his hug pillow though
    <@bellreisa>; you may now kiss the waifu
    <@bellreisa>; if you're lucky she might even kiss back
  • nameingwaynameingway I say thee nay Joined: Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    world war hulk was indeed, the mother fucking truth. i'm already hyped for the rest.