DC Comics Thread

SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod
This thread is about DC comics. We are talking about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Robin, Green Lantern, Flash, Justice League, Teen Titans and all of the insane amount of characaters you saw on Justice League Unlimited! So come here to talk about DC comics, TV shows, cartoons and movies.

Remember, not everyone is reading what you are so use spoiler tags when necessary.

"To the Bat Poles Robin!" :rofl:

So to start, DC Comics I read this week.

52 - Nightwing was in it, HOORAY!

Morrison's Batman was really good this week. Spoiler -
Say it ain't so Batman got his ass kicked oooh...

Comments

• Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    green lantern is the shit

FIRST POST BITCHES!!!!
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • DSDS Hell Revealed Joined: Posts: 4,904
    JSA motherfuckers!!!! That book is too good and it's really picking up. You guys need to start reading that. I feel like I'm the only person reading it. :sad:

For some reason, it ALMOST seems like DC is setting it up for the next age of comics. It feels like the heroes(i.e. the current identities) we currently know won't be there much longer. Is it just me or does anyone have that same feeling?

Also, the Flash is getting kinda.......good. It's not Geoff Johns 'good', but tolerable nonetheless. I still think it was a tad too early to bring in the Rogues Gallery, but whatever. We'll see where this goes.
    <Chibi> ill make sure to have komi invite you when he weds his hug pillow though
    <@bellreisa>; you may now kiss the waifu
    <@bellreisa>; if you're lucky she might even kiss back
  • ChairHomeChairHome hiding under your bed Joined: Posts: 1,733
    Thank goodness we can talk about other comics in this forum now.

I liked the previous two Flash issues. The last page in the latest one was kind of a headscratcher. Forgive the pun, but I think this comic is picking up some speed. Doesn't hurt that Tony Daniel (from Teen Titans) is becoming the regular series artist. Check out some of his Flash sketches here: http://tonydaniel.blogspot.com/

I really want to get into JSA, but I don't want to have to pick up another title. I've already got JLA, Flash, Teen Titans, and 52, thinking about picking Robin back up, too.
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

Cool nintendo av not by me :-(. Found it on the net.
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod

For some reason, it ALMOST seems like DC is setting it up for the next age of comics. It feels like the heroes(i.e. the current identities) we currently know won't be there much longer. Is it just me or does anyone have that same feeling?

Yeah I think when World War III kicks off, Batman picks up a sword and Jason Todd becomes Red Robin things are gonna be really different. No worries though, fans bitching about stuff will always make everything go back to the status quo sooner or later...
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants RIP Shatta........ Joined: Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What's up with DC doing a retcon of Spoiler's death? Bullshit like that you can't cover up.

If that's the case............Leslie Thompkins should not be sandbagging it in Africa.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    After Infinite Crisis they can do whatever they want, it's a new reality due to Alexander Luthor combining different aspects of different Earths. Like Batwoman being alive and a lesbian for example.

Of course we are all just gonna attribute this to Superboy Prime punching out reality, that's how Jason Todd came back to life, people seem to reference that instead of what Alexander Luthor did... 'cuz it's funnier. :rofl:
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 18,983
    JSA motherfuckers!!!! That book is too good and it's really picking up. You guys need to start reading that. I feel like I'm the only person reading it. :sad:

Also, the Flash is getting kinda.......good. It's not Geoff Johns 'good', but tolerable nonetheless. I still think it was a tad too early to bring in the Rogues Gallery, but whatever. We'll see where this goes.

Nah I'm reading (Vandal Savage is back, squee.), I lost all faith in Marvel since my main man Cap died (Supposedly) and they love doing year long arcs I don't like. Other's I'm reading are the new JLA, very good comic, I consider the "New Avengers" of DC (Pre Civil War).

Green Arrow continues to impress me, I love GA to death. His battles with Doctor Light and Deathstroke are amazing, and if you know the characters it shows GA's uncanny abilities. Also: Boxing Glove Arrow, 'nuff said.

To Chairhome: I haven't really been wowed yet, I loved Wally and it's kinda hard to adjust to Bart as Flash, I liked him as the jokester Impulse/Kid Flash.

About Infinite Crises, Some things I liked and some I didn't. SB's death: NO! 52 being published because of it? YES. Black Adam and Question all the way folks.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • DebaserDebaser no box required Joined: Posts: 764
    What's up with DC doing a retcon of Spoiler's death? Bullshit like that you can't cover up.

If that's the case............Leslie Thompkins should not be sandbagging it in Africa.

For the weird fans like me who actually care about her! Hooray!
    Edward James Olmos? You got class man! Kemo Sabe!
    -Gandido
    AV by Worthless, Infinidragon, Epp1e, SuicidalGrandpa, DominoLogic
    put me down for week 1 (as in the last issue of countdown) i mean it is counting down right?
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • Nightwing1990Nightwing1990 WING-NUTT Joined: Posts: 370
    Can't fuck with nightwing
    :pray:NIGHTWING OWNZ ALLLLLL:pray:
    Pained Auron - Yeah it's counting down, but Deathscythe already took week 1. So far, it's looking like this -

51 Countdown Poo!

Taichi - Week 36
    sano - Week 33
    Deathscythe - Week 1

For those of you who don't know what we are talking about, we have an ongoing pool where we guess which week 52 will ship late. 'Poo!' came about because of a typo Zephyranthes made, I thought he was serious and it stuck. There's only 2 people left (no new entries) in that pool so if either one of them wins they will win X-Force # 1 from Zephyranthes' collection drawn by the... 'amazing' Liefeld... If no one wins Zephyranthes will have to put X-Force #1 on his refridgerator.

And after that we are starting a new pool for 51 Countdown. You have to guess the exact week the book ships late. So far the prizes are Superman Red and Blue and Maggot's first appearance in X-Men. I'll toss in a Liefeld book too once or something equally... 'good' once I see what I have. So if you want a week pick one and we'll put you down.

You can also pick issue issue #0, that will ship the week 52 ends, only because DC wants to make it a full 52 issues and not 51 so they can say they published a book on time for 2 years straight...

51 Countdown is gonna be FIRE with Paul Dini and McKeever on board. I'm liking 52 but 51's gonna own it. That joints gonna be like Justice League Unlimited with people dying with lots of great bright red 52 blood and gore plus great character interactions McKeever style. Plus it's freaking World War III oh snap! Only bad thing I'm seeing is that Jason Todd is a major character booo... however they'll put him in the Red Robin suit so Nightwing can stay Nightwing so hooray!
    put me down for week 0
    Okay. So far -

51 Countdown Poo!

Pained Auron - Week 0
    Taichi - Week 36
    sano - Week 33
    Deathscythe - Week 1
  • flyboyz2000kflyboyz2000k Joined: Posts: 33
    Green lantern is going to be the bomb when the SC comes out. Anyone think the Manhunter Grand Master will become part of the SC? Definitly green lantern the best right now and everything else is ok. I like Blue beetle and checkmate as well though I really think that should be picked up. Anyone think that the cosmigods in USAFF should have been more than what they were depicted as? I thought they would be on par with the celestials from marvel. I hope they make a comeback in the DC universe.
    Yes I have debated against her, and yes she is hard headed, but it is still funny as hell.
    Put me down for not being late on any week. Like 52. :-D
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

• TaichiTaichi Fuck Heroics. Joined: Posts: 1,462
    I really am not liking the current editorial direction DC is taking.

but since I'm a DC Fan for life, I take it like Boston Fans take the Red Sox sucking year in and year out.

that said, Green Lantern CORPS Rules, but fuck Hal Jordan.
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
    Member- SRK Cobra Kai. "GET 'IM A BODY BAG!"
    As far as Editorial, My only real beefs with DC are -

1. Too much Jason Todd exposure who I feel should of never came back to life in the first place so I don't need him rammed down my throat every five seconds.

2. A hero who... they decided to kill off in 52 for no apparent reason. The character became popular because of Justice League Unlimited, why would you want to kill him off now, that's just stupid... Not that death means anything in comics, see #1. Still it feels like they put a whole bunch of people on a dart board and the dart hit this person so they decided to kill him off, no real point to this person's death.
    The Question

Other than that, smaller beefs I guess. Still read plenty of DC books and stuff, enjoy them for the most part. I think between DC's World War III and Marvel's World War Hulk 2007's gonna be the year where America gets jacked up big time. :rofl: So '07 should be a strong year for funny books.

Though on a larger scale of things with DC, the WB/DC embargo that kept Batman villains off of the last season of JLU, not allowing Bruce Wayne to appear on Smallville, things like this are just retarded IMHO... but at least they can put some quality stuff on TV.
    my real beef with DC, is that I think Legacies should go forward, not back.

I don't see any real reason in giving Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen their old names back.

I just don't like how they're going backwards.

If you're not the first to carry the name, then you shouldn't be the last.
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
  • Nightwing1990Nightwing1990 WING-NUTT Joined: Posts: 370
    Enough bout Batman Green Lantern, where is Blue Beetle???
    :pray:NIGHTWING OWNZ ALLLLLL:pray:
    Max Lord turned his head into a canoe
    Metal Men movie in the works:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32152
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

Metal Men?! DC will just try to make a buck on anything, can't be worse than Marvel's Ant-Man flick though. Ten bucks say's it'll star Ben Affleck.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • KnuckIfYouBuckleyKnuckIfYouBuckley A Real American Hero Joined: Posts: 1,506
    Metal Men?! DC will just try to make a buck on anything, can't be worse than Marvel's Ant-Man flick though. Ten bucks say's it'll star Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck IS Dr. Will Magnus! :rofl:

But seriously jesus christ I remember having a conversation between a friend of mine, me, and the people that work at our local comic shop, about comic book movies...and I said..."People these days will make a movie of a book if 10 people read it, as long as they think there's money to be made..."
    PSN: K_I_Y_B
    Xbox Live: KnuckIfUBuckley

UMvC3: Nova-b/Frank West-a/Dante-a

2013 SRK Fantasy Football League World Champion
    and its sad, because they can't even put together a decent fuckin' flick like Green Lantern.

how hard is it?, Hal gets the ring, he fights Sinestro in space, buncha fan-service cameos, roll credits.

yeah, I'd do a Hal movie.

I'd also introduce John, and Kyle, so that eventually they could do some Parallax shit.
    Your kidding.....right? I'm sure Jennifer Gardner or w.e will be the chick bot and your absolutely right about that, anything could be made, I'm waiting on a Creeper movies starring John Leguizamo.

Green Lantern flick: I'll say it'll star, oh, Justin Timberlake as Hal, with Bee Arthur as Sinestro. The sequel will have Ice T as John Stewart, doing extreme sports/spy missions for the government.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants RIP Shatta........ Joined: Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Metal Men movie in the works:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32152

What................and no Green Lantern flick?
    Flash movie?!?!
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    What................and no Green Lantern flick?
    Flash movie?!?!

Man, you don't even want to know what they were planning with those movies. Well, the GL one, at least:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/17971

That's old news (about 3 years old), so its probably changed direction or been cancelled altogether. Thank goodness.

The Flash one had David Goyer writing the script, but he left the project.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31446

Hopefully they're either going forward with the Flash one, or combining all these projects into the planned Justice League movie:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31683
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

DC comics I read this week:

Nightwing - Tha tha tha THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Nightwing goes up in a bar and beats the crap out of everybody looking for some info! THERE WAS EVEN BRIGHT RED BLOOD IN THE BOOK! Comic was so good it made me want to jump in a time machine and do something evil to Devin Grayson when she was writting Nightwing so badly. You know something REALLY EVIL like ring her doorbell in the middle of the night and run away oh yeah...

52 - Oh snap what the hell happened? This issue had the worst artwork of the entire series! Wow, I didn't think the artists were going to be the ones who had the nervous breakdowns and didn't pull it out one more time. Each issue so far even though it had rotating artists the book had a consistant look, except for this one. Man they only had six issues left... Maybe we should start another poll when this crappy art will return in 52? like 52 BOOOOO! Artwork aside the story was pretty good and Nightwing was in it again, hooray!

JLA - I couldn't resist buying both covers, put them together and you get an image of the new roster plus some older characters / costumes in the background. Call me crazy but I like the new roster, they are not crazy overpowered, they may even break out a sweat once in a while. And oh yeah they got Nightwing as a reserve member! :rock:

Detective Comics - This was yet another great story about Nightwing's adopted father Batman. Okay Nightwing had nothing to do with this story whatsoever but since I mentioned Nightwing's name when I talked about the other DC books I read I figured why not. :rofl: No Detective story this time, I wish every issue had one. Scarface version 2.0 still creeps me out. Still a strong comic but I want more mysteries for Bats to solve.
    I'm a bitch about the League.

I'm all about the Big Seven, they should always be the 'core' of the League.

and I want J'onn to join at some point..........call me a traditionalist, but he's joined every League so far.
    and I want J'onn to join at some point..........call me a traditionalist, but he's joined every League so far.

I love the big seven as well, but I can make an exception for this roster. It seems fun so far. I'm always up for something different.

As for J'onn: I hate his design at the moment. It's......man....my head hurts looking at it.

Last weeks 52 was weak. Ugh....Animal Man returning was cool though. And Green Lantern just keeps getting better and better.

You have the ability to instill great far. Welcome to the Sinestro Corps.
    <Chibi> ill make sure to have komi invite you when he weds his hug pillow though
    y'know I don't even read JLofA, right now? I might start picking it up, I dunno, but at the moment, I've already got a bunch of shit I read, and I kinda like my pulls, so I'm gonna leave 'em be.
    JLA is one of the better comics, though their pulling what I call a "Bendis" and taking lower powered characters and making them interesting (Black Lightning, Vixen, etc.)

It's good to see Nightwing getting some respect! I'm glad he's a reserve member, maybe he'll move up sometime in the future. I need to start reading his comic again, I'm a fan boy.
  • boxbox Joined: Posts: 1,611
    Picked up JLA this week. Seemed a little disorganized. Kept on jumping from one place to another in different order. But I like the lineup though. Vixen seems pretty cool.

This is the only monthly DC title that I'm picking up right now.
    Okay, I just caught up on the past two weeks of 52 and I have some questions:
    Was the "twice named Cain" thing that the crime lady figured out in the prophecy just that Batwoman was Kathy Kane? Or something else? It just confused the hell out of me because it was like, "We tried to kill Batwoman to fulfill the prophecy and failed, but what if we misinterpreted. Wait, that's it! We must kill Batwoman to fulfill the prophecy!"

JLA was pretty nice though. But... (I'm pretty daft, sorry I need these explanations)
    Was the guy that Batman and BL were ID'ing at the end from an off-screen case?

Thanks. Also, Karl Kerschl needs to do more work. I love his art. He did the Teen Titans backup story for last week's 52, and the first OYL Robin issue, and I think a Flash issue.
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

JLA is one of the better comics, though their pulling what I call a "Bendis" and taking lower powered characters and making them interesting (Black Lightning, Vixen, etc.)

I don't have a problem with them doing that, especially since BL and Vixen are both former Leaguers anyway.

remember, 52 was to showcase characters who wouldn't otherwise have a spotlight.

Steel didn't do well last time he had an ongoing......though, if they play him up like DC's Iron Man (which he is), he's badass.

he's seriously one of my top ten favorite characters.
    Steel is getting great reception in 52, and I've been meaning to read that but I had a comic slouch and catching up is hard as hell. I really want it for Black Adam, who is one of my all time favorite characters. When did Steel get out of the Aegis Suit? I might have to Wiki him.
    He was killed in OWAW (I think), and then when he was resurrected he went back to the old suit.
    then, in 52, Luthor injected him with his 'everyman' serum, so Steel's skin became metal (Like Colossus, only he couldn't turn it off), until the effect wore off, and he went back to the suit.

and if you buy 52 for Black Adam, I assure you, his is probably THE strongest storyline in the entire run.
    Thanks for the info, I might have to search for back issues (Hopefully not at a ridiculous price) I heard Black Adam is the shit in it, and his acts will effect DC greatly. Question is another hero I love, and it would be nice to read about him as well.
    if you pay more than $2.50 an issue, you're getting ripped off.....

no issue of 52 shouldn't cost you more than cover price.......including the first appearance issues.

that's just my opinion, but online retailers are probably thinking with dollar signs, so be careful who you deal with.

buy in lots if you can, it's easier that way.

or you can just wait for the trades, which will be coming soon.
    Trades I might, or I can use the internet to download, though I like to contribute more than do that. I only really do that for hard to finds, or just plain expensive, comics.
    I had my local shop pull the first issues of JSA and JLA for me, just so I could check 'em out, but I really REALLY hate the idea that Alex Ross is influencing both titles.

oh well, All Star Superman next week, WOO!
    Okay, I just caught up on the past two weeks of 52 and I have some questions:
    Was the "twice named Cain" thing that the crime lady figured out in the prophecy just that Batwoman was Kathy Kane? Or something else? It just confused the hell out of me because it was like, "We tried to kill Batwoman to fulfill the prophecy and failed, but what if we misinterpreted. Wait, that's it! We must kill Batwoman to fulfill the prophecy!"

This interview regarding 52 # 48 should help clear up some of that. Note that it involves 52 spoilers of course.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=107765

Regarding your JLA question, it's a prologue for the next issue. So just tune in next month, same JLA Time, same JLA channel. :smile:
    Man, JLA is too fierce. I love that book.
    Red Arrow is gonna be too good on that team.

And 52 this week was pretty confusing. I just read through it and pretended to not really care. But, then I read Sano's link and I guess it made sense. Crisis averted...?

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy reading Supergirl after the first 4 or 5 lackluster issues that Loeb wrote. Good stuff so far from Joe Kelly.

Busiek's Superman this month sucked. 'Nuff said.

Superman/Batman: That Benitez guy can draw an awesome Batman. The art is what really kept me hooked on this issue. Overall, pretty good story, but the art really sold it well. That guy needs to draw JSA or something. OR......

Detective Comics because Kramer's art is fugly. Harley was fat in the issue. Like she hasn't worked out in the past year or so. The story was still fun though. Dini just loves himself some Harley action. It was like watching Batman TAS all over again.

Nightwing was pretty good. He's all angry and moody now. It's about time.

And now I'm gonna move onto the Marvel side of things in the other thread later on because there are some goodies in there that I must rave about.

*goes into the Marvel thread*
  • KnuckIfYouBuckleyKnuckIfYouBuckley A Real American Hero Joined: Posts: 1,506
    Detective Comics because Kramer's art is fugly. Harley was fat in the issue. Like she hasn't worked out in the past year or so. The story was still fun though. Dini just loves himself some Harley action. It was like watching Batman TAS all over again.

This intrigues me. :wonder:
    PSN: K_I_Y_B
    Xbox Live: KnuckIfUBuckley

UMvC3: Nova-b/Frank West-a/Dante-a

2013 SRK Fantasy Football League World Champion
    This interview regarding 52 # 48 should help clear up some of that. Note that it involves 52 spoilers of course.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=107765

Regarding your JLA question, it's a prologue for the next issue. So just tune in next month, same JLA Time, same JLA channel. :smile:

Thanks, Sano. I'm still a little confused though. I can't remember that far back, but when they first showed Batwoman and that prophecy pic, weren't they already trying to kill her to fulfill the prophecy, hence the discussion that they failed? Or were they just trying to kill Kathy Kane (or batwoman) and just figured out recently that they were the same person? I could just look back at my old issues... but the laziness... :-(
    O Hadoken!
    |=( -O)
    /\

Lately I have been in a love/hate relationship with DC.

now, it's not enough to make me jump ship.....my devotion to DC is eternal, but I'm getting kinda sick of three major things regarding DC Comics, and Comics in General.

I hate the Revolving door on Death. If Marriage can be permanent, so can death.

I hate the fact that every twenty years, the universe is reconfigured so three characters don't look older than thirty.

and I hate that Legacies are going backwards for some reason, instead of forward. Hal and Ollie were dead, the line for new names should form at the rear, we already had guys named "Green Lantern" and "Green Arrow".
  • nameingwaynameingway I say thee nay Joined: Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i agree with taichi, nothing against hal or ollie. i don't even remember/know how he's alive in the first place (lol). last time i knew he was the spectre.

speaking of the spectre, i just remembered the time where the entire justice league combined with him and bats took the rein. good stuff.
    This intrigues me. :wonder:

It's Paul Dini, that's why. He hasn't done anything multi-part yet. But, there seems to be a main villain at the moment that has appeared more than once already(for those that read the book, you know who already) and each issue has pretty much played out like an episode. All stand-alone issues.
    Thanks, Sano. I'm still a little confused though. I can't remember that far back, but when they first showed Batwoman and that prophecy pic, weren't they already trying to kill her to fulfill the prophecy, hence the discussion that they failed? Or were they just trying to kill Kathy Kane (or batwoman) and just figured out recently that they were the same person? I could just look back at my old issues... but the laziness... :-(

As far as the laziness thing goes that makes 2 of us and looking up older comics is a mission in itself for me, it means lifting up heavy boxes to find where the heck the box with all of my 52 comics are... :rofl:

So, going by the theory that if you give a half assed / crappy answer on the internet someone will come along and give a better one and make you look stupid... :sweat:

I just think it's pretty much like you said, "The prophecy must come true we will try again!" It could be that Batgirl was the one they were meant to kill, just that Intergang isn't aware of her. Yeah, I don't remember the first attempt on Batwoman's life but my memory is fuzzy on that... too busy hoping Starfire doesn't die... And it could still be that Batwoman is still going to buy it and bleeds to death since she shows up nowhere after 52 AFAIK, just like Starfire OH NOOOS... But there are still a few mysteries like where did the book came from in the first place so I kind of doubt we have heard the last of it... and better explanations of everything down the line in actual comics and not just interviews...