DC Comics Thread

Comments

• TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Funny I was thinking if we would have a character popularity poll near the end of this year =P
    So Sano, think one could be made?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,038 mod
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Character poll rules, mostly because I helped create it...I think.

Also don't hate on Batman, you can never get enough Batman seriously. If you complain, you are a commie.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    Yeah it was your idea, in response to IGN's horrible top 100 comic book characters list. Our list was better. No Garfield. :rofl:

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Yeah it was your idea, in response to IGN's horrible top 100 comic book characters list. Our list was better. No Garfield. :rofl:

Oh yeah lol, where we bitched for a week then made our own. Our list kicked ass, I look forward to this year so I can advocate Batman and Daken.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933

Don't rag on Garfield. Me and him are cool. Only comic character I know of that loves food as much as me.

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

• BENSKIBENSKI ~V4~ Joined: Posts: 1,083
    Im def up for more batman titles. So far Ive picked AC,DC, Batwing, Batgirl and storwatch are all pretty good so far. JLI was meh.
    -Benski Designs-
    http://www.youtube.com/watchthoseguys review show
  • NoiNoiPinoyNoiNoiPinoy WorldWideDentist Joined: Posts: 224
    Im def up for more batman titles. So far Ive picked AC,DC, Batwing, Batgirl and storwatch are all pretty good so far. JLI was meh.

Think the Wonder Woman relaunch will be good?
    * Reppin' that 254 and San Antonio *
    * PSN: NoiNoiPinoy *
    * X-box Live: NoiNoiPinoy *
    * CvS2: C-Groove Joe, Blanka, E. Honda *
    * Super Turbo: E. Honda, Zangief *
    * Third Strike: SA1 Ryu, SA1 Hugo *
    ^^ Yes yo can quote me its gonna be good, in the long run :P
    -Benski Designs-
    Don't rag on Garfield. Me and him are cool. Only comic character I know of that loves food as much as me.

Have you read the comic strip lately? It hasn't been funny in over 20 years. Joint was hysterical in the beginning, but the older Jim Davis got the more his sense of humor went out the window. Same thing happened to Schulz with Peanuts, but at least he had Rerun to give us a laugh here and there. Jim Davis has lots of characters he put out to pasture, it's basically the Garfield, Odie and Jon show. Either Garfield complains about Monday, eats a lot, kicks Odie off the table or makes fun of Jon being a dork. Wash / rinse / repeat for two decades...

That alone should auto ban Garfield from the top 100 anything. Maybe a comic strip specific poll only (and I still wouldn't rank him that high) but one that's supposed to represent the spectrum of all comics? Um yeah how about NO.

Anyway, I read Action Comics and to my surprise I'm not impressed. This is supposed to be a younger Superman right? Well he's already in Metropolis, already best friends with Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane and Lex Luthor were in issue one. So what seperates this from a regular Superman comic exactly? That he's a jerk, wearing jeans and working for a rival newspaper? Um okay...

It did have a strong ending and Lex continues to show why he's the man so there was that.

I'll hang in there because of Grant Morrison for a little while and hope there's a reason why he's doing what he's doing.
    Superman curse strikes again.

Wonder Woman should be good, I've never read a bad thing from Azzerello. Think I spelled that right.

Try to get my pick up's today.
  • Exodus.Exodus. Joined: Posts: 7,016
    Hey, guys, what what DCnU books are worth picking up? I only just started reading comics a couple months ago, nothing in the DCU mostly X-Books, Legacy and UXF (once Regenesis happens I think I'm picking up Uncanny and WatXM, and dropping Legacy). I'm thinking about AC, DC, Batman, Batman n Robin, and Suicide Squad (for shits and giggles mostly, I just want to see Harley & Co. kill some people.) I've heard good stuff about Swamp Thing, mostly because of Snyder's work, and Animal man. Martian Manhunter seems like a cool character but I don't know anything about the book he's in.
    gl hf dd ka.
    Anyway, I read Action Comics and to my surprise I'm not impressed. This is supposed to be a younger Superman right? Well he's already in Metropolis, already best friends with Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane and Lex Luthor were in issue one. So what seperates this from a regular Superman comic exactly? That he's a jerk, wearing jeans and working for a rival newspaper? Um okay...
    I don't see what the problem is with him being friends with Lois and Jimmy. If anything this is a re-imaging of Supes' earlier years/days, so the writer can have liberties at how they want it to be written.
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933
    Have you read the comic strip lately? It hasn't been funny in over 20 years. Joint was hysterical in the beginning, but the older Jim Davis got the more his sense of humor went out the window. Same thing happened to Schulz with Peanuts, but at least he had Rerun to give us a laugh here and there. Jim Davis has lots of characters he put out to pasture, it's basically the Garfield, Odie and Jon show. Either Garfield complains about Monday, eats a lot, kicks Odie off the table or makes fun of Jon being a dork. Wash / rinse / repeat for two decades...

I had no idea that they still made Garfield comics.

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

I had no idea that they still made Garfield comics.

And look at what today's (9/8/11) strip is! GARFIELD MAKES FUN OF JON BEING A DORK! Did I call it or what? :razzy:

http://www.garfield.com/comics/todayscomic.html
    Hey, guys, what what DCnU books are worth picking up? I only just started reading comics a couple months ago, nothing in the DCU mostly X-Books, Legacy and UXF (once Regenesis happens I think I'm picking up Uncanny and WatXM, and dropping Legacy). I'm thinking about AC, DC, Batman, Batman n Robin, and Suicide Squad (for shits and giggles mostly, I just want to see Harley & Co. kill some people.) I've heard good stuff about Swamp Thing, mostly because of Snyder's work, and Animal man. Martian Manhunter seems like a cool character but I don't know anything about the book he's in.

Wuts up..well if your def trying to start reading comics, I advise to just start on the new 52 reboots atm. Then after you caught up maybe get in the brightest day/blackest night series or even hush for DC. All great reads.
    -Benski Designs-
  • Rugal 3:16Rugal 3:16 Weisinger's disciple Joined: Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hehe So Far The Highest Rated (generally from all the boards i've come acrossed) Comic in reviews for this week is a Tie between Action Comics and Animal Man..

So Picked Up Animal Man and Damn it was Good for what it is.
    Kurt Buseik: I am a Marvelite at heart, and I like Thor. So it did pain me to see Thor go down. However, in the depths of my heart, I knew this was the way it should turn out. Not because Superman is THE icon, but because even a post-Crisis Superman would win. Many will bring up Thor's ability to create vortexes and all of the other neat tricks Mjolnir can do, but Thor's history is to head in fist and hammer first, and unless he is on the ropes, Thor rarely utilizes his other abilities. I did find Superman's recognition of Thor as maybe his single greatest opponent an appeasement in light of Superman having died at the hands of Doomsday.

"As for Superman and Thor, it's like he said -- where he comes from, the dials go up to eleven. Superman is stronger and faster, which is probably more about the scales of power in the universe he comes from, but it was enough to let him win a very tough battle. If they fought again tomorrow, it might go the other way. Since being more powerful doesn't make you a better character, I don't see it as a slight on Thor, just as the way things are..."
    Wonder Woman should be good, I've never read a bad thing from Azzerello. Think I spelled that right.

That's good. Remember reading somewhere that it'll be more 'horror' than 'superhero'. Huh? lol
    Batman Inc #8-
    Too friggin' good, it's sad to see Morrison off the Bat books soon, but it'll be a great run non the less.

Flashpoint-
    I liked Frankenstein, Project Superman, LoD and Batman, and the last 2 issues were pretty good. Overall IMO, Flashpoint (main book) was pretty good.

Jonah Hex #70-
    A nice last issue, looking forward to the upcoming new series X3

Justice League 1-
    Really good start IMO, hopefully the upcoming issues keep up with the quality.

Superman Beyond #0-
    Really liked this issue, any word on if this is a prelude to a mini or such?
    First look/preview for Superboy #1 and Batman and Robin #1
    -Benski Designs-
    That's good. Remember reading somewhere that it'll be more 'horror' than 'superhero'. Huh? lol

Is it? If so that is awesome, I'm a big Horror nut so influences would be nice.
    Is it? If so that is awesome, I'm a big Horror nut so influences would be nice.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/08/relaunched-wonder-woman-is-a-horror-book-brian-azzarello-says/

I lurk at this site along with IGN for my comic news.
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,757
    I love the start of the New 52 for the Justice League. But I'll miss batman incorporated, at least it ended with Bats and Cats getting some lovin' in before the end of their world ( relaunch). I loved Hal and Bruce two of my favs. I like the supes new book and I hate supes. As long as Wonder woman is good and Flash is on point then I'll be happy.

Hopefully this means new love triangles and I can avoid having to read about Damien Wayne ever again lol. I REALLY hope this means Supes stays depowered and can be hurt which keeps him interesting. I also REALLY hope they make Cheetah a real threat or come up with something better for Diana to fight which gives her an Iconic villain to play off of for years to come.

Heres hoping cheers all! BTW Marvel is confusing as hell right now so I think most of my time will be here until they sort that mess out.
    You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve
  • akumatruniggaakumatrunigga Joined: Posts: 3,312
    I want to jump aboard and I've read Static Shock, Action Comics, Green Arrow and Batwing. Honestly though I have a feeling that this will be temporary for the next epic "52 multiverse mega event"
    Xanatos: You know the answer to that Owen. Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.
    DC wise I goooot:

Detective Comics #1.
    Justice League International #1.
    Swamp Thing #1.
    Green Arrow #1.
    Batman: Gates of Gotham #4 and #5.
    Flashpoint: Legion of Doom #3.

Read Detective Comics and JLI already (You guys knew I would) And I LOVE JLI, pretty much the same as the Maxwell Lord stuff which means perfect, great voice and idea.

Detective felt so....rushed. I liked what he was trying to establish it just felt like he wanted to accomplish it so fast. For anyone who follows my Bat rants you know this has always been my problem when it comes to Tony S. Daniel, he just cannot slow down and keep a steady pace to save his life and I feel that works against a good Batman story. His ideas are good, but something that should have been six issues is solved in three and feels so ho-hum. I'll keep getting for completions sake, but I fear it won't improve in the long run.

His new villain introduction however, has me intriqued.
    The ripped joker face was priceless.
    -Benski Designs-
    The ripped joker face was priceless.

Yeah was a cool ending shot, I do like Daniels art despite the haters. Also Batman speculating on if Joker kills everyone naked was both funny and disturbing.

I can't tell when this is set, Gordon is A LOT younger and the Police are still weary. This whole reboot that isn't a reboot is damn confusing, I literally have no idea which comic is set when other than Justice League.
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Batman Inc is coming back next year and Damian Wayne is still Robin....

Im happy they left in the fact that Barbara was paralyzed.
    I dnt know..I liked Oracle but its nice seeing Barbara as batgirl again handling business...mixed feelings bout this :/
    -Benski Designs-
    Fuck Barbera/Batgirl/Simon, and people buying into it since the comic is actually out now. Where are all the haters now? I think it's just me, my gf and uh...that's it.

Swamp Thing #1 was decent, has some nice potential depending on where they go for it. Right now it feels like Plant Spectre which isn't all that bad of an idea.
    Anyone read animal man?
    -Benski Designs-
    Cassandra is still around, so that's good. I'm happy that the other bitch is gone. Now I always thought it was weird that she was paralyzed this long with all the technology in the DCU. Her coming back is probably the only change I have no problem with.
    They just completely canned Stephanie Brown. After I read it, they showed her getting shot and all. But it looks like oracle got erased as well.
    -Benski Designs-
    They just completely canned Stephanie Brown. After I read it, they showed her getting shot and all. But it looks like oracle got erased as well.

I dont know about that. Because she was still in a chair up until now according to the comic. And I think they hinted at her coming back as Batgirl in a Batman Inc issue.
    smh, what am I talking bout..For some reason I thought she was only in the chair for 6 months. I re read it it says 3 yrs. nm I dnt know what I was thinking at that time :/
    -Benski Designs-
    I heard she was healed "magically".

Also at my local store Batgirl sold out before Detective comics.

Magically healed in the Batman world only means Lazarus pit lol. Bruce was like " time to get up and do some work..go swim." He aint having that.
    -Benski Designs-
    Good point.
  • Exodus.Exodus. Joined: Posts: 7,016
    I read Animal Man. I liked it, don't know too much about the character or "The Red." The dream sequence that introduced the Three Hunters was awesome and really quite freaky. The first half of the book caught me up to the character quite well, his family/powers/past, and the second part starting with the dream sets up for where I hope the series goes. I really liked it, but take my review with a grain of salt I'm new to the comic book world heh
    gl hf dd ka.
    Justice League #4..Any thoughts on how Aquaman look? To me nothing really drastic changed.
    JUSTL_Cv4.jpg
    -Benski Designs-