The Official Collected Editions Thread (New & Improved!)

Comments

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    check out City of Crime, Batman and the Monster Men, and Batman and the Mad Monk
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,624
    year one > all other bats gn's

IMO hush, dkr, n long haloween are all tied for 2nd best. You should read the man who laughs if u liked the killing joke (who didn't) think of it as joker: year one n brubakers writing owns by showing how bats is completely unprepared for dealing with joker the first time they meet and u MUST read dark victory it's the sequel to halloween and just about as good.

Read gothic and child of dreams if u want something different there both very underrated, gothic is kind of a supernatural tale where batman fights a man who sold his soul for limited immortality and child of dreams is a manga tale...thats right MANGA! LOL but it's actually very solid and bats goes to japan to kickass.

Can someone post a link of all the civil war tie-ins there are too many to keep track off and have they made any CW gn's preferably hardcover? Will i get confused if i read ONLY the tie-ins of a series for example spiderman isssuex-issuey are CW tie ins but if i read only those and no other issues in the series will i know whats going on?

I would appreciate gn recommendations for cap A, anything with onslaught, venom/carnage, transformers (i read g1 from IDW and it was decent), any big events/crossovers from the past cuz i'm sure something as epic as CW happens every year right?, How is the age of apocalypse saga?, what is house of M all i know it's part2 of some big 3part event where scarlet witch kills ppl, anything where i can see super heroes fight one another, anything on any not so well known but still very notable super hero, n finally i guess any "must haves" that every comic book fan should have.

EDIT: just read ultimate ironman vol1 it was a very different take on the pro-reg bastard i liked it alot and he took his suit off so i'm assuming he doesn't fuse with his suit via techno organic virus till the later years? finished the preacher series and wow I <3 vertigo onto absolute sandman now!

EDIT2: I really enjoy the ultimate line what a great idea to modernize and retell origins n whatnot so ppl new to the comic scene like myself can play catchup to everyone else while still having an enjoyable read that resonates with our world however my only gripe is that i have quite a bit of knowledge of the 616 and little changes to the ultimate line bother me simply cuz i know it wasn't like that in the oldschool comics for example venom's origin being an anti-cancer suit, or prof x being having a very different persona i guess it's the nerd in me but when i see things n the ultimate line that make me think hey thats not what happened in so n so storyline originally.

I would also like some suggestions for more source material for example which would be better for a 19 yr old who has some knowledge of the x-men universe uncanny or astonishing? i remember years ago 2 friends told me an island named krakoa captured the og x-men while prof sent a team to rescue them n 1 of them was vulcan who died so prof erased clops's memory of it n sent a 3rd team to save them. Prof experimented on danger and admitted to loving jean grey i think? LOL prof x doesn't sound like the nice guy he is in ultimte xmen (though he does lie/manipulate occasionally but only minor things) anyways so what series's should i read to get not that info specifically but that type of info on x-men, or spiderman (neighborhood, amazing, sensational, spectacular waay too many to choose from), and whoever else u feel u should suggest should be appreciated.

Theres so much shit out there i don't know how to find what i want or where to get it so any i would appreciate a link that could help me sort out what i'm looking for (ign SUCKS)

i was thinking of checking out y the last man it has a very good premise so i guess it should be at least a half decent read and is there any gn's on the origin of the thunderbolts other then the CW gn?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Most of the Civil War books that I've read are pretty self-contained. Amazing-Spider-Man and Captain America in particular are very good reads. I really like Civil War. The TPB is pretty expensive, though. But it is very entertaining. (Keep in mind that I also think House of M is very entertaining and that I don't like any Crisis.)

Captain America recommendations:

Brubaker's run, of course. Start with Winter Soldier: Volume 1 and move on from there. On a related note, one of the awesome things about the Civil War Cap TPB is that it actually merges seamlessly into the ongoing Cap epic and the Civil War story.

Other than that, you should check out Truth: Red, White, and Black by Robert Morales and Kyle Baker. Much respect, it's like the only recent Marvel comic that Alan Moore actually praised in public.

I also think the Marvel Knights Captain America run was above average. The first TPB, The New Deal, has art by John Cassaday. Some of the other TPBs have some Jae Lee art, too. Just skip Captain America: Avengers Disassembled. That one was really weak.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,624
    Thanks zeph winter soldier looks hot n red, white, black looks like it explains alot so i guess patriot must be the son oif the original cap A.

BUMP for everything else i asked.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Orochi - just to let you know, there is a Captain America Omnibus coming out that includes Brubaker's Cap #1-25...I dont think it will be out until august or september though.

For X-Men they are releasing Brubaker's first big arc as well as Mike Carey's first big arc in hardcovers

But if you want the best Cap, check out the Captain America: Heroes Reborn tpb

On the reading front, I finished Shadowpact vol. 1. I enjoyed it for the most part even though I dont like Enchantress' new costume or Chimp's super hero costume, and the art was a little cartoon-y for me. I also dont know if I like the whole Nightmaster becoming young thing. The ragman issue was cool though.
    P. Giddy is the meanest and most cruel there is. That's just... wrong.

---

Oh, baby. They're coming out with Essential Silver Surfer volume 2. It's gonna include the first 18 issues or so of the late '80s series, too! Hopefully they will continue to pump these out... The world could always use some more Ron Lim Powerblasts.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Im looking for:

Earth X
    Universe X vol.1 (I have vol.2)
    Paradise X

and anything else related to this great series. If anyone knows a good site to get such things or knows if they are being reprinted anytimes soon, please, DO TELL!
    www.ebay.com

finished sandman mystery theatre vol. 5 - very good stuff, good character development. Dodds is like what batman would actually be like in the real world, as a human.
    I think the Earth X series is still in print. I still see copies of all the TPBs at bookstores and comic shops.

---

Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of the best, man. I always think of that when I think of the best Vertigo comics ever. Wagner and Seagle did a really great job developing the relationship between Wesley and Dian. I think their relationship really helped make the stories stand out as more than just pulp noir tales. Especially compared to other superheroic comics where the romance is pretty basic or just trite.

And I love that Detective Burke. Gotta be one of the best supporting "cop" characters around. I love that snarky attitude of his.

---

This is the stuff I've read lately:

Eternals HC - This was amazing. I never read any of those old Kirby comics, but Gaiman and JRjr's work is fantastic. This needs to be an ongoing series. Except I have no idea who should write it if Gaiman's too busy. But the story here is just too good to not follow up on it.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane HC - sano pride, baby, sano pride.

Walking Dead v.6 - How intense was this? Just ridiculous. This is Kirkman's best comic. Everything in Walking Dead is just on the mark. The character development is so believable, the art is on fire, and the plot is just crazy good--it's surprising and yet inevitable.

The Boys - Finally got around to read the TPB of this, and yeah. I can see how it out-Preachers Preacher. Maybe I'm just desensitized or personally disturbed, but I really don't see why DC wanted to cancel this comic. I feel like I've read things that are more violent, sexual, and obscene. I guess DC musta crapped themselves after seeing Ennis piss all over a JLA analogue. This series is shaping up to be classic, though. It's like the best of Ennis. It's got all the debauchery, humor, and messed up stuff like his work on MK Punny, Kev, Fury (the original), and Thor: Vikings. It's got the intense, driven, contextual violence like Punny MAX. It's got the heart and soul like the characters in Preacher.

The Homeless Channel - I know the guy who made this, so I guess I'm biased. It's a story about a woman who starts a 24/7 cable TV station about homeless people. AiT/PlanetLar always publish good stuff. The black and white art totally reminds me of Bendis' art. Matt's a really good writer, though. There's a free 32 page preview on his site. www.thehomelesschannel.com
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,972 mod
    Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane HC - sano pride, baby, sano pride.

Man I'm gonna miss McKeever on this book. I wish Marvel would of given him a main title...

He did do a few 616 stories in the Spider-Man Family comics, though they were mostly fill in the gaps between ages old issues kind of stuff. Those are great and hopefully Marvel will decide to collect those in a trade one day. He did a Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends story where Spidey hooked up Firestar and Ice Man for a while and they broke up very briefly after lol (during this time Spidey was married) and he even brought in Video Man from that cartoon into 616 all while making the story fit between old Spider-Man and X-Men issues! Man this guy knows his Spider-Man! :lovin:

Oh well I'm looking forward to his Teen Titans comic.
    due to excellent job news I was finally able to order the tpb's that have been piling up on my want list. I got:

52 vol. 1
    Exterminators vol. 2
    Batman and the Mad Monk
    Green Lantern Corps vol. 1
    Runaways vol. 3 HC
    Punisher MAX vol. 3 HC (btw...go out and read Man of Stone now if you havent)
    Ultimate Galactus Trilogy HC
    Superman: Camelot Falls
    The Boys vol. 1
    Annihilation vol. 2 HC
    Jonah Hex vol. 2
    Walking Dead vol. 2 HC

...yeah so about $200 worth of stuff:wgrin:
  • defcondefcon the ronin Joined: Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    did anyone else think The Killing Joke is a little overrated? i just can't buy how the story ends; considering what the Joker did in that arc, you'd expect old Bats to have pummelled him for like at least two pages or something. Since it's Moore, naturally it can't be garbage... but definitely like a high 7 out of 10 at most since the end RUINS it. Cute, but RUINOUS ending... hardly worthy for a Batman/Joker storyline finale.

im mostly a vertigo/marvel/image head right now, but i'm interested in the green lantern and flash. can anyone recommend good arcs in those two series with excellent writing? i like epic, but there's only so much over the top everybody has god powers that I can take (/cough, marvel, /cough), and i don't like emo. i really liked versions of GL and Flash from Kingdom Come, so if there's any stories that explain how those powers developed or whatever I'd be game.

btw, if anyone is interested in experimenting with some titles they've heard about but don't feel like shelling out the greenbacks to check out, hit me up for a good link.
    to my elite peeps with the murderous mystique
    i hit the streets with beats and they critique for weeks
    they be like, how that kid rah reach the peak?
    pull out the heat and use my technique to speak
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    The Killing Joke is kind of crummy, and Moore himself will be the first to admit that the payoff of the story doesn't work. That said, The Killing Joke does offer a very fascinating look at the Joker, in spite of the misfire at the end, and the artwork is well done.
    Got my copy of Batman and the Mad Monk the other day. Read it after I reread Monster Men. I think Wagner's run was pretty good. It really felt like a big, comic version of an Animated Series episode. It has that awesome old-school mentality with new school verve.

I loved that part in Mad Monk where Batman was in the castle, and then the stairs he's walking on just disappear and he just slides down into a deathtrap room where the walls have spikes and just close in on him. That was pretty entertaining... That cliffhanger- "The walls! They're *choke* closing in!" was awesome.

---

I think The Killing Joke is one of the best Batman stories. It definitely not one of the best Alan Moore stories, but it's beyond what most Bat-writers even attempt. It's definitely a very British story. The resolution is very weird, but I think it works for the story. It's unusual, but I thought it was affecting for a Batman and Joker tale. And Bolland hardly ever does interiors- that's one of the best-looking Batman comics around.

---

For Flash comics, I think you gotta check out Geoff Johns' run. According to wiki, he started on issue 164. His Flash run was amazing, just top tier superhero stuff. Until the last year or so, when he got caught up in making the comic tie-in with the Crises. It ended pretty ignominiously, but when it was on fire, it was FI-YA!
    god damn...The Boys vol. 1 is probably the best start of a new series I have read in the past 12 months...this comic kicks ass
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Now this is my kinda thread!

I doubt anyone will know of this book when I throw out the title, but earlier this week, I picked up a graphic novel called Penguin Bros. I've never heard of the book before but the whole concept of penguins in an action comic appealed to me and the artwork is really good. Haven't read it yet, but it was cheap. Only $3.98.

I didn't think Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane would go on for as long as it has. McKeever's MJ books are usually only 4 books long but this ig going on book 18. I gotta get the TPBs sometime.

Marvel's Essential line. I know I may be in the minority, but I'm a big fan of these books. Sure, they are in black & white but for 20+ comics at $16.99 its a good way to catch up on Marvel titles from the '60s-'80s. I love Claremon'ts reprinted work in Essential X-Men 1. Would Essential Silver Surfer 1 be worth picking up? I only read one SS comic and it was a reprint of SS #14, where he met Spidey, but it was very good.
    Penguin Bros, eh? Sounds interesting. Tell us how it is after you read it.

Yeah, that Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane stuff started out as two Mary Jane miniseries before it officially became an ongoing. McKeever's las issue is #20, but Marvel recently announced that Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise) will be the new writer. So it should still be good or possibly even better.

I like the Essential line, too. I actually think that Essential Howard the Duck truly is ESSENTIAL. For a '70s comic, it's got some groundbreaking stuff. And the writing isn't too shoddy. It's got a sense of humor. Plus... Gene Colan artwork. There are some players whose art still looks just as good in black and white. Gene Colan is one such player.

I just wish the Essential line would reprint more modern comics. I respect and cherish Stan Lee as much as the next guy, but it's tough to read some of his stuff. I mean a lot of the dialogue he wrote in the '60s was dated back in the '80s. So I can't really force myself to slog through every single Spider-Man and FF. But those Essentials are definitely worth the money, even if Kirby's art isn't in color. It's still good, y'know?

I actually have Essential Silver Surfer v.1. I've only read it once, but I think it's good. Considering that it's all his '60s comics, it's great. It's possibly one of the only times that Stan Lee's over-the-top writing style really enhances the story. People say Spidey is emo. They don't realize that Surfer gave birth to emo.

One of these days, I gotta get Essential Surfer v.2. They're starting to get to the '80s/'90s Surfer comics... That means RON LIM POWERBLASTS. For the win, of course.
  • TaskmasterTaskmaster The Mad Jackal Joined: Posts: 528
    Picked up Punisher HC volume 3 recently. I only cared for the first half, but it's very nice.

Also picked up the Fell HC wich is awesome.

Still waiting for my Planet Hulk HC though.
    "It is better to let people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and eat a dick like a cake mews."

Adam Warlock, Thread of the year 08, SRK.com
    anyone have an opinion on the millar/land ultimate ff stuff? HC vol. 3 comes out tomorrow which collectes their two arcs
    I think it's decent. I am not a fan of Land's art, so I didn't think too much of it myself. But the stories and writing are pretty good. You can see where the Marvel Zombies came from, I guess. And that President Thor story was fun.
    what about agents of atlas...it's pretty thick for a premiere so I may splurge
    I don't know, I haven't read Agents of Atlas. That's definitely something that's also on my Amazon wish list, though. The art's really good. And you're right, it's thick for a premiere. All premieres should be priced like that. Some of the extras are old Golden Age comics, I think. I've heard good things about the series, and just flipping through it, I would bet that it doesn't suck.

Never really read any of Jeff Parker's work, though. Maybe an issue of Marvel Adventures once in a while, and some short stories in Marvel Romance comics, which were funny and entertaining. I heard his X-Men: First Class was also pretty good. That also just came out in HC.
  • RockChoRockCho Turtle Power Joined: Posts: 760
    Try to nab Mark Waid's run on Captain America before Heroes Reborn. Part of it was "Man without a Country" and a run in with Red Skull with the Cosmic Cube, but I forget the title of that arc. I think it was Operation Rebirth or something like that.

Fun stuff.
    It’s not like they are going to stab me, right? As long as nobody stabs me I am happy to receive criticism.
    -Yoshinori Ono
    letting people know Annihilation vol. 3 HC drops today
    Ah, I remember some of the Waid Cap stories. I enjoyed them when I read them but I never felt any particular urge to go back and reread them. One of the weirdest ideas Waid used was using Cap to save Red Skull's life (or was it vice versa? I forget). What I remember most about that run was Ron Garney's art. For the longest time, I thought that was the last decent-looking series he drew because I didn't like any of the art he'd done since then. It was only recently when I saw his Amazing Spider-Man that I felt like Garney was good again.

Here's some of the TPBs I've read lately.

Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation - It was average, I think. I stopped reading Villains United after the third or fourth issue, but I managed to finish this one. The art's above average. Catman is still kind of a ridiculous villain/anti-hero, but at least he's got some personality. I still like Deadshot, too. The Deadshot miniseries by Christos Gage was superb (why isn't THAT a TPB?!), and it's nice to see some of the elements from that story touched upon in here.

Catwoman: The Replacements - The art is very good, especially the coloring. The story, not so much. The were a couple gaps in internal logic in the plot. Not to mention that I think the plot was silly. Mild SPOILER but it's just a bad idea to give Selina a baby. There's just no way that this comic could ever live up to Brubaker's legacy.

Hawkman: Rise of the Golden Eagle - This was below average. TPB collects 9 issues, with various artists. Some of the art is pretty garbage, with all these lameass cleavage and butt shots of Hawkgirl. I don't really need that stuff. The story was extremely lackluster. There were gaps in the story's logic and it still ended up being completely predictable. Not to mention there's at least one stupid deus ex machina. How many times can a guy fake his death and hold a fake funeral to trick his enemy? Sheesh. This might've been a decent story back in the '60s. Even back then, it might've been considered "quaint." It's hard to believe this was made a couple years ago and followed the Geoff Johns run.

The Ray: In A Blaze Of Power - Written back in the early nineties by Jack C. Harris (I've never heard of him) with art by Quesada. The art is really nice! But the story's pretty boring. After the third issue, I just skimmed the rest of it. This was one of those comics that was definitely overwritten. Too much exposition, plenty of heavy-handed narration in thought balloons, and dated dialog ("Great heavens!") with no sense of irony.

Green Lantern/Green Arrow volume 2 - This is some vintage stuff right here. Neal Adams art still looks great. The plots and ideas of the stories are interesting, with a lot of cool character moments interspersed. There's definitely plenty of dialog and narration that dates the work, but overall, I think I can say this has stood the test of time. It has aged well and is probably some of the finest superhero comics of the '70s. Hey- at least it's better than Spawn or Witchblade or Fathom.
    Is Marvel's Infinity Ghauntlet worth picking up? I've seen a copy at Borders but that sucker is like $30.

And I also need to get Watchmen because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I've thought about getting DC's Crissis On Infinite Earths but I heard it wasn't newbie friendly and may require some knowledge of DC's Earth-2 heroes and villians.
    You need Watchmen. If the superhero genre were suddenly destroyed tomorrow, we could still recreate everything using Watchmen as the template. Not only is Watchmen essential for your comic book collection, but it's essential FOR YOUR LIFE.

Infinity Gauntlet's a fun story. I wouldn't say pay 30 bones for it, though. Can't you find it cheaper online somewhere?

And Crisis is just for (I hate to drop the f-bomb, but...) fanboys only. There's no real other purpose in reading it.
    crisis is a good intro to the dc universe for those who like to work. it presents you with this huge tapestry of characters and eras that may seem daunting at first but soon proves to be a great guide in finding new comics to follow and characters to read about.
  • eddymastaeddymasta The Man Without Fear Joined: Posts: 702
    my friend enjoys ultimate spider man, and civil war stuff more then Watchmen.

Should he be assassinated?
    GGPO: Angrylobster
    One of my friends tried to read Watchmen but gave up after the second issue. "Too many words," he said. "I don't want to think when I read comics," he said. "It's too much for me," he said.

So I just punched him in the face, and it was all good and gravy. We can still be friends.
    I did a good amount of reading this week and I have a lot of new tpb's to get through so the thoughts will be rolling in.

Punisher MAX vol. 3 HC - collects The Slavers which I had previously read, as well as Barracuda. Like almost every MAX story The Slavers gets better the second reading, although to me the ending still seems a little meh. I know people rave about it but I don't think the old guy got it any worse than the guy who pissed on his family's graves. One thing I like about this arc is that it is very compact, very focused and in the end, very emotional, maybe the most emotional arc yet. Barracuda on the other hand is just plain fun - I love the change in artwork and it suits the story well. Barracuda himself was a pretty fun guy...more likeable than any other MAX "villain" so far. The "fucky?" scene was priceless.

Superman: Camelot Falls - Thought this was very good, better than Busiek's previous arc Back in Action. The artwork is really nice and the story promises to have some fun stuff. The Days of Future Present scenes worked pretty well I thought because they were very contained. Jimmy as last man on earth was pretty funny

Runaways vol. 3 HC - about 3/4 of the way through this...good stuff...I will not be continuing with whedon
    Punisher MAX is just so consistent. Every TPB is great. I think The Slavers is maybe my favorite so far, but I don't know. I like 'em all. One of the things about Punisher MAX is the art is always really great. Fernandez' art has progressed and evolved since the first arc he drew, and it just looks really nice.

I was listening to this interview with Ennis a while ago, and he was talking about how The Slavers was a key storyline for him. I think that's why it's probably the most emotional of all the arcs so far. He said before he wrote it, he read an article about human trafficking, and learning about that stuff just pissed him off enough to write the story. He basically said that if there could ever be a force like Frank Castle existing in the real world, he would really want him to be unleashed on slavers.

What's been awesome about seeing Ennis write Punny is just the fact that we're getting to see him kill all these people in new and interesting ways. It's not just how he kills them, either; it's also whom he kills. I used to wonder if Punny would kill a woman. I used to wonder if Punny would kill a Wall Street shark. I used to wonder if he'd kill an old man who was no longer a threat to anyone. I used to wonder if he would kill a prostitute. I don't have to wonder about all that stuff anymore. I think the only thing I want to see answered is if Punisher would kill a child.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    my friend enjoys ultimate spider man, and civil war stuff more then Watchmen.

Should he be assassinated?
    Probably.

I actually don't recommend Watchmen to people who are just dipping their toes into comics, because it helps to have a decent foundation in the realm of classic superheroes before digging into what Moore and Gibbons have to offer. Deconstructionism is much more effective when you understand the things that are being deconstructed.

Also, introduce him to Eisner. Many of his short form comics had no words at all, save the titles. I can see your friend's reaction from here, and it is hilarious.
    My folks mentioned giving me some cash for my birthday so I think I'm gonna use some of it to buy a $20 copy of Watchmen. I'm sure the hardback is nice but it cost to many dead presidents.

Heard Sandman was good so maybe I'll pick that up sometime.

Essentail Spider-Man vol. 8 is out and I need to cop a copy of that sometime. Took Marvel forever to get that baby out. I also need to pick up Essential Peter Parker, Spider-Man vols. 2-3. Roger Stern wrote some stories in those books and he's one of my fav writers to have ever worked on Spider-Man.
    Ah, I remember some of the Waid Cap stories. I enjoyed them when I read them but I never felt any particular urge to go back and reread them. One of the weirdest ideas Waid used was using Cap to save Red Skull's life (or was it vice versa? I forget). What I remember most about that run was Ron Garney's art. For the longest time, I thought that was the last decent-looking series he drew because I didn't like any of the art he'd done since then. It was only recently when I saw his Amazing Spider-Man that I felt like Garney was good again.

Garney is a solid artist and not flashy. His stuff on Hulk & a few DC comics were pretty good.

The pre-Heroes Return/Reborn Waid stories were fun. Man Without a Country and Project Rebirth got me hooked. Waid Cap stories after Heroes Return were "eh" at best. The afformentioned Cap not killing Skull because of his moral code (which is bs... because Cap has killed many times before) and the really wack laser shield. The idea of Cap's shield breaking was actually a neat idea... but wasn't handled well in my opinion and the how the shield came back together was insanely bad.
    It’s not like they are going to stab me, right? As long as nobody stabs me I am happy to receive criticism.
    -Yoshinori Ono
    Also, introduce him to Eisner. Many of his short form comics had no words at all, save the titles. I can see your friend's reaction from here, and it is hilarious.

TRUTH!!!

Pick up any and all "The Spirit" trades by Eisner. Interesting short stories of the same main character, but the storytelling is second to none for a lot of them.

"A Contract with God" is good too, but more emotional than anything else. Don't expect any action sequences here. More of a slice of life, pondering meaning of life type stuff.
    -Yoshinori Ono
    I think Watchmen is a must-read even if you're not really into superheroes. The thing that makes Watchmen challenging to read is the fact that it's so dense, not because it is about superheroes. It definitely takes patience to read the book. It's not like a Wolverine comic where you can just blast through it. The art in Watchmen is as vital as the actual text.

I feel that Watchmen isn't so notable for how it deconstructs the superhero genre as it is for how it impacted and showed off a wide range of the comics medium's ability to tell a story. Maybe to appreciate that, a reader might need a little understanding of comic strips, but even that is simple enough to obtain.

Yeah, there's always weird stuff going on with Cap comics. Although I don't remember much of Waid's run, I do remember that it entertained me for the most part. All that stuff you mentioned, like not killing the Skull because of a moral code, was a cop out. And the photon shield, man, I almost forgot about that. Seeing that photon shield show up in Avengers comics was like seeing Electric Blue Superman in JLA comics.

I think we all can agree that Brubaker is writing the definitive portrayal of Captain America.

The Spirit by Eisner is just crazy good. Decades ahead of its time. Those hardcovers are so pricey. I wish they'd make more affordable paperbacks. They made one "Best of the Spirit" TPB but I think that's it so far. And A Contract with God is just classic. Too many great comics!

Stuff I've read lately:

Daredevil: Frank Miller Visionaries v. 1-3 - This is classic stuff. I had already read volume 2 (with the Elektra saga) but I reread it when I got my hands on volumes 1 and 3. Miller only drew the stuff in volume 1, so the stories were only okay in those. But you can really see how he progressed as an artist and writer as time went on. The stuff with Elektra was awesome. People always talk about what a great death she had, but the issue after her death was amazing, too. It was about DD still thinking she was alive, because how many times have people come back from the dead in comics? When Miller finally got around to her resurrection in volume 3, it was very ambiguous. And the final issue featuring Bullseye... All that stuff Miller did with Bullseye was intense. DD has had a lot of top tier runs. This is one of them. Essential for superhero fans.

Black Hole - This is pretty much the first Charles Burns comic I've read (other than those Altoid commercials he drew). It's really good. Lives up to all the hype and acclaim. His artwork is fascinating. The story didn't have as much sex as I thought it would (or perhaps I am merely a desensitized and overly depraved), and the character beats were really engrossing. This is something you can read over and over just to pick out all the little nuances. And you can just get lost in the art.

Green Lantern: Willworld - By DeMatteis and Seth Fisher, this is a great Hal Jordan story. Taichi needs to read this to understand how cool Hal is.

Soulwind - Scott Morse is one of my favorite dudes. His Barefoot Serpent is one of my absolute FAVORITE graphic novels of all time. Soulwind was an earlier work, all in black and white, but it seems even more ambitious. The story spans thousands of years and has a pretty large cast. It starts with a legendary samurai sword and ends with an explanation of universal history. It's mind-boggling at certain points, but it's definitely worth reading again. His art is amazing. Morse is just so versatile, switching styles even on the same page in service to his story.
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    gabe did you finish annihilation yet? what did you think?
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    I'm on the last set of issues (ronan) in the second hardcover. I'm still waiting on a shipment of books with the third hardcover to arrive in the mail.
  • RavenRaven Member Joined: Posts: 67
    Does anyone know when the next Astonishing X-Men trade is coming out?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
    those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."
  • RoninChaosRoninChaos Treading Paper Joined: Posts: 4,091 mod
    I just finished re-reading Bendis' run on Daredevil and it still stands as my favorite run by any creator on any character. I still think Daredevil is one of the most under-rated characters in comics.

I also read Daredevil: Father, and I was actually suprised how much I enjoyed it. I thought it was cool Quesada changed up his style some, and the images he did that you saw from Matt's own eyes were really pretty stunning. The thing that shocked the fuck out of me was the ending. It really showed that no good deed goes unpunished, and that encapsulates one of the things I like the most about the character; this guy is god damned selfless. He really is. And he's fucking crazy. No matter how close Matt gets to happiness, something ALWAYS happens. Always. Poor bastard.
    -[E.M.S. for life]- -[Da Foot Clan]- -[Kobra Kai]-

Fuck Dan Marino

"Let's get shit straight: NOTHING can protect you from Ronin." -- Ducky

Making use of my "I am a bitch" card right now, please acknowledge it. -- OMFG

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.
    Does anyone know when the next Astonishing X-Men trade is coming out?

Probably won't be out for a while. The current arc still has another 2 or 3 issues to go, and it got delayed a bit because Cassaday took a month to draw an issue of Fallen Son. Assuming the book stays on its bi-monthly schedule, it'll probably be at least another 4 or 5 months until the serialization finishes, and then maybe another month until the TPB.

I keep hearing that Whedon/Cassaday are planning to cap off their run with a giant-size annual, though, so if they include that in the TPB, it'll probably add another 2 or 3 months.
    I just finished re-reading Bendis' run on Daredevil and it still stands as my favorite run by any creator on any character. I still think Daredevil is one of the most under-rated characters in comics.

I also read Daredevil: Father, and I was actually suprised how much I enjoyed it. I thought it was cool Quesada changed up his style some, and the images he did that you saw from Matt's own eyes were really pretty stunning. The thing that shocked the fuck out of me was the ending. It really showed that no good deed goes unpunished, and that encapsulates one of the things I like the most about the character; this guy is god damned selfless. He really is. And he's fucking crazy. No matter how close Matt gets to happiness, something ALWAYS happens. Always. Poor bastard.
    I agree, it is definitely up there, along with his ult. spider-man run as well. I look forward to reading through the hardcovers again to see what I missed the first time.

from this weekend:

Walking Dead vol. 2 Hardcover - this is probably ancient history to most of you as this collects the third and fourth tpb which came out a long time ago but they are just getting collected in this format and as such are my first exposure to the material. I have never been part of the vocal crowd gushing over Walking Dead - I think volume 1 is good but not great, and volume 2 didn't really do a lot to raise my opinion. I feel as though the prison set piece was mostly wasted and could have been exploited much more. I still don't like practically any of the cast of characters and after volume 2 I especially don't like our main guy (his kid and the young girl are probably the two I like the most). Maybe it's because I've been into the zombie thing for a long time and have had different variations of Dawn of the Dead play out in my head for years that nothing here seems fresh out that creative - mostly stuff up to this point I have seen before. I want the zombie story to end all zombie stories - not another vignettes piece on survivors. The black girl with the sword seems lame too.

Annihilation vol. 2 - I found Silver Surfer to be fun, especially all of the cameos by the guys I grew up with (AirWalker, Terrax, Morg) but something about it seems very far-removed from those series' of old. And what is up with Firelord's redesign? The twist in issue #3 is cool and I will be interested in how it plays out, even though after all that has come before I still don't see how Surfer just decided to become herald again like that. Super Skrull was alright but a little lame in places and not as good as Drax, whereas Ronan was very cool, with incredible artwork. He is definitely the character I want to see more of most. Did I mention the art rocked?

Green Lantern Corps vol. 1: To Be A Lantern - Truthfully I was disappointed by this one. I loved GLC: Recharge - it introduced us to 3 dark new lanterns while giving us some good Guy and Kyle action but vol. 1 loses much of the characterization that made that work and the plots are mostly pretty terrible. Hopefully this one will get better. I find the concept of Mogo very cool and hope it is exploited.

Jonah Hex vol. 2 - more of the same one-and-dones. I am thinking about dropping this after the next tpb which collects his origin story. I like the art a lot and it is nice change of pace buying a western but the stories are too decompressed and it doesnt feel worth my money

Batman and the Mad Monk - pure awesomeness. Thank god they at least reprinted the covers full page this time. I hope they will collect both arcs in a hardcover. Dini and Wagner are basically the only people who need to write batman ever.

52 vol. 1 - really enjoyed this one (even though the covers arent reprinted full page), the extras after each issue are brilliant and the story is rocking. too bad its taking dc so long to get these tpb's out.

Currently reading: Ultimate Galactus Trilogy
    On deck: Exterminators vol. 2
    On the horizon: Amazing Spider-Man omnibus baby!
    Walking Dead vol. 2 Hardcover - this is probably ancient history to most of you as this collects the third and fourth tpb which came out a long time ago but they are just getting collected in this format and as such are my first exposure to the material. I have never been part of the vocal crowd gushing over Walking Dead - I think volume 1 is good but not great, and volume 2 didn't really do a lot to raise my opinion. I feel as though the prison set piece was mostly wasted and could have been exploited much more. I still don't like practically any of the cast of characters and after volume 2 I especially don't like our main guy (his kid and the young girl are probably the two I like the most). Maybe it's because I've been into the zombie thing for a long time and have had different variations of Dawn of the Dead play out in my head for years that nothing here seems fresh out that creative - mostly stuff up to this point I have seen before. I want the zombie story to end all zombie stories - not another vignettes piece on survivors. The black girl with the sword seems lame too.

That's interesting that you feel that way. I don't really agree, but I can see what you mean. To me, Walking Dead is more of an ongoing soap opera than a series of vignettes, though. I don't watch many zombie movies and I never really got into all the other popular zombie comics other than this one. The zombies are hardly key to most of the plots. Most of the time they are just obstacles in the way of the survivors. But I think this book has more heart and real emotion than just about anything else Kirkman has written. And I am truly big on Adlard's artwork. He is way too underrated.
    Jonah Hex vol. 2 - more of the same one-and-dones. I am thinking about dropping this after the next tpb which collects his origin story. I like the art a lot and it is nice change of pace buying a western but the stories are too decompressed and it doesnt feel worth my money

I have read a few Palmiotti/Gray comics and I never really got into them. But I also find myself attracted to the Western genre in comics. You try Loveless yet? I only got v.1 so far, but I think it is shaping up to be probably the best Vertigo title of its generation. The Lone Ranger TPB from Dynamic Forces came out recently as well. I haven't read it but I hear it's good. I know the art is excellent. The Long Haul from Oni (by Antony Johnston and Eduardo Barreto) is also a nice Western/heist story.
    Batman and the Mad Monk - pure awesomeness. Thank god they at least reprinted the covers full page this time. I hope they will collect both arcs in a hardcover. Dini and Wagner are basically the only people who need to write batman ever.

Ha, yeah I love the combo of the modern with the retro in the Wagner Batman. The best was Batman falling into a room where the spiked walls started closing in on him.

What I've read lately:

Conan (Dark Horse series) v. 1 - This is the motherfargin' truth. I can't really think of too many good fantasy comics (outside of Bone, and Sandman if you count that as a fantasy), and Conan is really more part of the swords 'n' sorcery subgenre, but this is still awesome stuff. The artwork is seriously jaw-droppingly gorgeous and Busiek's writing here is better than almost anything he's ever done outside of Astro City/Secret Identity/Shock Rockets. It's impressive how each chapter/issue serves as a satisfying tale in and of itself while everything as a whole builds up to an epic sense of adventure storytelling. It took me forever to finally read this and now I desperately need more.

Ghost In The Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface - Holy crap, I think this book out-Filths the Filth! Well, maybe not exactly, but I hardly understood anything in Ghost in the Shell 2. The story had all this science fictiony stuff about robotic consciousness, electronic brains, neural realities, and the human experience. The plot seemed like an afterthought to all the intense ideas. I own the original Ghost in the Shell manga, and even when that one got heavy into the science fiction philosophy, there was still a coherent plot. This one, I really have no idea what happened. I just know that I liked it and that the art was incredible.

Buja's Diary - http://www.amazon.com/Bujas-Diary-Se-yong-O/dp/1561634484/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7964370-8273505?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184044901&sr=8-1
    Yeah, everyone needs to check this out. As you can see from the link, it's a Korean comic. It's a book of short stories. Most of them are good and the rest are great. The title story alone is straight cash. There is a very strong lyrical content to the pieces and it's pretty obvious the creator really understands the "poetry" (so to speak) of the comics medium.

Brownsville - http://www.amazon.com/Brownsville-Neil-Kleid/dp/156163459X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-7964370-8273505?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184045109&sr=1-2
    This is a story about Jewish gangsters in the '30s. I love crime stories so I figured I had to get this from the library. It was a solid read. I might like it more if I read it multiple times. At times the story was tough to follow because there were lots of names and I had trouble figuring out who was who. It wasn't the best crime story I ever read, but it's certainly a very strong comic book crime story.
    jackpot!

BATMAN/GRENDEL

MATT WAGNER (W/A)

On sale Dec. 19
    FC, 208 pages
    $19.95
    TPB, 7" x 10"

Complete in one volume for the first time, the acclaimed stories that pit Gotham?s dark detective against the embodiment of evil, written and drawn by Grendel creator Matt Wagner!

Sleepless protector of his troubled but beloved city, Batman uncovers a new threat when Hunter Rose, the original Grendel, arrives in Gotham. It is a battle of might and minds as the Dark Knight faces off against this sophisticated and deadly assassin. Years later, Batman?s ceaseless vigil is disturbed once again, this time by the twisted cyborg Grendel-Prime. Seeking an artifact of terrible dimensions, Prime will stop at nothing to achieve his ends!

? Collecting both Batman/Grendel miniseries co-published with DC Comics, this volume presents material that?s been out of print for over a decade, starring two comic-book icons!
    hey Zeph, Dark Horse also announced they will be reprinting the old Savage Sword of Conan series in Essentials-style format
    That's right, I saw that on the solicitations. That sounds like a great purchase. I never read any of those old-school Conans, but for that price, it can't be much of a waste of money. At least the art for sure is going to be good.
    goddam... Exterminators #6 was sooo good. This is now officially one of my favorite series. Terry Moore is serviceable on Walking Dead but here he is bloody brilliant. This plus DMZ are head and shoulders above most everything right now
  • eddymastaeddymasta The Man Without Fear Joined: Posts: 702
    My DD:Father just got here today in HC. I'm a bit more then half way through and its already too freakin good. <3 DD
    GGPO: Angrylobster
    Exterminators vol. 2 - brilliant stuff, the series really hits its stride in these issues. The issue with the exterminator lucha libre in the ring with the rats was great. His fate in the last book though... And with his old partner returning, it is on. Living in LA definitely helps reading this book as well.

Ultimate Galactus Trilogy - I'm sad to say, but this was a real stinker. Absolutely nothing happened in Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret had some cool art and good scenes with Ultimate Captain Marvel, and Ultimate Extinction was just build up to nothing. FF2: Rise can't be worse than this. I tried to like this, I did...but the house of m-like decompression hurt bad.

Justice League of America vol.1 The Tornado's Path - I'm pissed that the zero issue was not included and that my copy had a small tear in the 3-page fold out but I thought this was a fun read. The art is really good and I liked the picking of the team aspect. I actually liked the supes, bats, ww standing around looking at pictures more than the red tornado plot. I dont have much history with amazo or starro and the whole villain plot was a bit confusing but it went by quick enough. I think of Brad now as "the good loeb". Did he do an arc after this? Or was it just one and done?

Up through issue #3 of ASM. #3 is the first that is not split into two stories and I enjoyed it the most of the bunch so far. It is the first appearence of doc ock and the art is really starting to take shape.

Currently Reading: Ultimate Fantastic Four vol. 3 HC (Porno Sue!)
    On Deck: Planet Hulk!