The Official Collected Editions Thread (New & Improved!)

Comments

• ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    CRIMINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!11! is one of the best serials around. A single issue is certainly worth $3.50. (No ads, the story is longer than 22 pages, a letters page/editorial, an article about pulp fiction or crime noir.)

Scalped is probably worthy of CAAAAAAAAAAAPS!!!!!111!!!! status as well. I've only got the first TRADE, BABY, but I've read it a couple of times through. Next convention I hit, I'm gonna get all the rest of it for as cheap as I can possibly find.

You can't go wrong with either of those crime comics.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    i went to the library and got a bunch of ultimate spidey comics. from hobgoblin all the way up to clone saga. reading silver sable now. great stuff
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • 4Play4Play Galactic Asshole Joined: Posts: 1,534
    Here's some stuff that I got recently. Thanks once again to Zephy for linking to TFAW. Great deals on the used stuff.

Thor: Blood Oath- Decent old school romp. I liked the premise but it felt rushed towards to the end. Like a lot of time in Olympus but Egypt and Japan got few pages. I guess Oeming got careless in the pacing. Though the action was great es[ecially the Herc segment. Looking forward to find the Thor Disassembled trade. Art was alright. Kollins art is alright not terrible.

Iron Man: Hypervelocity- A bit too complicated in the tech talk for it's own good. Yet it serves as a reminder of how smart Tony is. the premise was awesome and was character exploration without the real character being present. The art was great. It was kinetic and reminiscent of Ethan Van Sciver's art whom is a fantastic artist. I liked it more than The Inevitable. Sorry Zephy.

Wolverine: Blood Debt- Meh nothing special in both art and story. Silver Samurai was a joke.

Now I'm hunting down the Waid/Wieringo FF run. SO GOOD.
    SRK: 4Play(main), redpremium.
    Yeah, I've had my eye on Hypervelocity ever since it was serialized. I didn't jump on it during the TFAW sale because I felt like I was already spending a lot of money. One of these days I will pick it up and read it all. Adam Warren wrote this other mecha-inspired miniseries, Livewires, a year or two prior to Hypervelocity. That's worth tracking down as well, although I think Marvel only made a digest TPB of Livewires and it's probably out of print or hard to find now.

I also saw the Wolvie: Blood Debt book at a local used bookstore for only 3 bucks a couple months back. I didn't buy it then, and now it's gone. Guess I don't regret that any more.
    Livewires, huh? I think I heard about it and then dissapeared.
    Blood debt turned into the boring Wolvie in Japan story in mere moments. Blah.

Jst finished Zemo- Born Better. It was okay. It seemed like a potential great story but was boring at times. Though I got to say I liked the character of Zemo. A complex man, sure would like to read more stories with this dude. I guess I meesed up though by not reading the Thuderbolts TBp that came before this though. The whole Fabian Nienza run.

Question I was thiking of picking up some Flash trades. Which ones are good? I heard good things about the Geoff Johns' run which books cover his stuff?
    Hey, hey... Livewires is still available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Livewires-Vol-Clockwork-Thugs-Yo/dp/0785115196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247805765&sr=8-1

Maybe it's not completely out of circulation yet. Too bad it's not on sale or anything. But, yeah, it's good fun stuff. It doesn't look like it would have anything to do with the Marvel Universe, but it's firmly rooted in all that wacky SHIELD and AIM super-espionage high technology stuff. One of these days, some clever writer should reintroduce these characters to Marveldom at large.

The Flash TRADES, BABY that Johns wrote are, in order: Wonderland; Blood Will Run; Rogues; Crossfire; Blitz; Ignition; The Secret of Barry Allen; and Rogue War.

I didn't like The Secret of Barry Allen and Rogue War at all. It was about that point where I felt all the Crisis junk sucked all the heart of the stories. The series just started getting inconsistent and choppy, and it felt like Johns started to care more about showing how the Flash's world was a key component of the DCU as a whole. I thought the last arc ended his whole run on a whimper. If you don't mind that stuff, you'll probably like them more. Everything up to Blitz is really nice superhero stuff - it's all got great character-building and world-building, meaningful action, fun adventuring, clever examples of the Flash's powers, exciting art. Blitz is epic, the payoff to all the buildup. Ignition serves as a nice little epilogue, and that's how I choose to remember Johns' Flash.

I also like The Return of Barry Allen by Mark Waid. That was the first comic that got me into the Flash back in the '90s and I still think it holds up well. It shows you everything cool about the Flash and Wally West. I read the other Waid TPBs but didn't like them.
    Hey, hey... Livewires is still available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Livewires-Vol-Clockwork-Thugs-Yo/dp/0785115196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247805765&sr=8-1

Maybe it's not completely out of circulation yet. Too bad it's not on sale or anything. But, yeah, it's good fun stuff. It doesn't look like it would have anything to do with the Marvel Universe, but it's firmly rooted in all that wacky SHIELD and AIM super-espionage high technology stuff. One of these days, some clever writer should reintroduce these characters to Marveldom at large.
    Awesome. Not a big fan of Marvel's digest but I'll pick this one up.
    The Flash TRADES, BABY that Johns wrote are, in order: Wonderland; Blood Will Run; Rogues; Crossfire; Blitz; Ignition; The Secret of Barry Allen; and Rogue War.

I didn't like The Secret of Barry Allen and Rogue War at all. It was about that point where I felt all the Crisis junk sucked all the heart of the stories. The series just started getting inconsistent and choppy, and it felt like Johns started to care more about showing how the Flash's world was a key component of the DCU as a whole. I thought the last arc ended his whole run on a whimper. If you don't mind that stuff, you'll probably like them more. Everything up to Blitz is really nice superhero stuff - it's all got great character-building and world-building, meaningful action, fun adventuring, clever examples of the Flash's powers, exciting art. Blitz is epic, the payoff to all the buildup. Ignition serves as a nice little epilogue, and that's how I choose to remember Johns' Flash.

I also like The Return of Barry Allen by Mark Waid. That was the first comic that got me into the Flash back in the '90s and I still think it holds up well. It shows you everything cool about the Flash and Wally West. I read the other Waid TPBs but didn't like them.

Great I'll hunt those down. Thanks.
  • DeathReaper47DeathReaper47 Katana-rama! Joined: Posts: 1,995

Now I'm hunting down the Waid/Wieringo FF run. SO GOOD.

Dude, I JUST got the second and third Ultimate Collection HCs. The first one was sooo damn good. The second one involves FF vs Shield vs Doom, the FF meeting God aka Jack Kirby, invaders from another dimension, and a Spider-man team-up :lovin:

Also, I wanted to get more of Johns's Flash, but half of the fuckers are out of print.
    I probably would've Matt Murdock roundhoused her ass using the vibration from her ignant ass voice to locate her. - Stuck being Stuck
  • ViciousSLASHViciousSLASH Game Time Jones Joined: Posts: 7,500
    Waid Wingo FF run is amazing. Waid was hitting everything on that run and Wingo's art fit the book so well.

And yeah, John's runs pretty much ends at Blitz. Then it gets all bogged down with the crisis crap. Blitz is a great capper though. The way the fight with Zoom went so fast that even superman didn't notice it was great.
    http://michaelpfeffer.blogspot.com I don't even update this, who cares
    Dude, I JUST got the second and third Ultimate Collection HCs. The first one was sooo damn good. The second one involves FF vs Shield vs Doom, the FF meeting God aka Jack Kirby, invaders from another dimension, and a Spider-man team-up :lovin:

Also, I wanted to get more of Johns's Flash, but half of the fuckers are out of print.

Ah yeah I guess vol 2 covers Authorative Action, Hereafter, and Disassembled then with part 1 being Imaginauts and Unthinkable. So vol 3 is just Rising Storm?

----
    I swee that theres 2 Grant Morrison Flash TRADES, BABY: The Human Race, and Emergency Stop. Any good? Any Morrison with acid assist?
    Ah yeah I guess vol 2 covers Authorative Action, Hereafter, and Disassembled then with part 1 being Imaginauts and Unthinkable. So vol 3 is just Rising Storm?

----
    I swee that theres 2 Grant Morrison Flash TRADES, BABY: The Human Race, and Emergency Stop. Any good? Any Morrison with acid assist?

I guess I said it wrong; Vol. 2 is Authorative Action and Hereafter, Vol. 3 is Disassembled and Rising Storm.

I like those Flash trades by Morrison/Millar. The Suit one is really good, and theres an arc where Flash races against an analogue of Sonic the Hedgehog...FOR THE FATE OF THE EARTH!
    I probably would've Matt Murdock roundhoused her ass using the vibration from her ignant ass voice to locate her. - Stuck being Stuck
  • matrix9280matrix9280 Not banned Joined: Posts: 2,604
    Waid Wingo FF run is amazing. Waid was hitting everything on that run and Wingo's art fit the book so well.

I think the Chris Claremont/Salvador Larroca/Art Thibert/Liquid FF run was one of the best in comic history. They worked together on 30 issues with no fill-ins. Sadly I don't think it's in collected form. It's a shame since those are some of the best Fantastic Four comics ever.
    There are three truths in this world: Lies, Damn lies, and statistics.

If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    good news from sdcc: Absolute Planetary vol. 1 will be rereleased.

other highlight from recent solits is Shade: The Changing Man tpb's vol. 1 and 2. Thoughts Zephy?

Stuff I've read recently:

Final Crisis HC - this actually collects FC: Submit and Superman Beyond 1-2 along with the main FC series. I thought it was all pretty good, but mainly as a self contained mini and not a companywide crossover as it certainly didnt have the scope or effect of Infinite Crisis (probably the best event crossover of my comic reading lifetime). I was really bummed that the two Beyond issues were not presented in 3D for the trade. I guess my main problem story-wise with FC was that I didnt give a crap about the monitors and them turning human etc. Not something I would have hinged the crossover on. Loved Frankenstein being front and center though. That guy needs his own ongoing.

Final Crisis Companion - the commentary to FC 1 was good, as was FC: Requiem. FC Resist was pretty cool too I guess.

Secret Wars Omnibus - This was interesting from a historical perspective and the art was good but on the whole its a pretty shitty crossover and really pales in comparison to COIE. Nice Package though.

Punisher Max vol. 5 HC: Think I mentioned this one last time but let me just reiterate how awesome the final Ennis Punisher hardcover is that collects Long Cold Dark and Valley Forge, Valley Forge. Everything you love about Punny Max is right here. The series ended here for me...no reason to go forward.

Dark Tower: Treachery - The third dark tower mpe is pretty good because it goes into stuff that the books didnt. I feel the creative group is getting the swing of things by now. Lee's art is still too static for my tastes and the writing too revertial but its gotten better.

The Stand: Captain Trips - I thought this was really good, although the source material is also amazing obviously. The one thing I wasnt blown away by was Randal Flagg's character design. Still, always easy to get lost in this story. Was left wanting more. I hope this series will reflect the Uncut The Stand.

Zorro vol. 1 - from my boy matt wagner. Starts out a bit slow but ends really well. Wish Wagner did the art as his covers are great. Would like a more linear narrative and more action in future installments.

Classic GI Joe vol. 1 - reprints of the Marvel GI Joe series. These early issues are pretty grounded, not too many recognizable joes beyond Duke, Scarlett, and Snake Eyes. No Destro yet or any of the more flamboyant Cobras, just Commander and the Baroness. Good stories though, most of them by Larry Hama. All of them have a little twist to make them a bit more than they seem.

Irredeemable Ant Man tpb - previously this was only available as 3 digest-size trades but recently marvel released a regular tpb collecting the whole series. Very good, very different than any other marvel series I can think of in tone and in writing and structure. definitely check out. from robert kirkman.

Punisher: Barbarian with a Gun - collects an arc from Punisher War Zone written by Chuck Dixon with great art by John Buscema. Very solid, if standard Punisher fare.

Young Liars vol. 2: the most fucked up series i have read in a long, long time. If people bitched about final crisis not making sense...give this book a read.

Shadowpact: The Burning Age - Ah, the final Shadowpact tpb. I've always been drawn to books like this, full of weird characters you know will be cancelled. Sleepwalker would have been a great fit on this team. This trade was written by Matt Sturges, as opposed to creator Bill Willingham, but Sturges actually does a very good job on both of the 3-issue arcs and the ending is very good.
    good news from sdcc: Absolute Planetary vol. 1 will be rereleased.

other highlight from recent solits is Shade: The Changing Man tpb's vol. 1 and 2. Thoughts Zephy?

Aw, yeah, baby! Absolute Planetary. Gotta get it this time around. Do you know if it's gonna be 75 or 100 bucks?

And Shade, The Changing Man by Milligan is possibly my favorite comics series ever. It's definitely got that surreal tone that a lot of the early pre-Vertigo/British Invasion comics shared, but it's still weird and quirky even by those standards. I think what sets it apart is that it's got a lot of heart. You never get the sense that Milligan is coyly detached from his characters or anything; he's clearly invested in them and as the series progresses they change and grow, and deal with love, loss, and all that stuff.

The art's really interesting, too. Early Bachalo art looks absolutely nothing like how it looks now, but you can kind of see how his realistic style slowly evolved into his Generation X style before transforming into modern-day Bachalo. The guest artists are all generally pretty good.

I think the stuff in the first two TRADES, BABY are really good comics, but the series really ups the ante once it gets past the "American Scream" storyline. Even so, I always found Milligan's observations on America pretty astute for a British dude.

It's some awesome stuff, man. I honestly don't know if you'll like it, but at least give it a shot. The first four issues of the series form a pretty complete story because it was originally meant to be a mini. Then it just got bumped into an ongoing because those first four were just so glorious. You can always read the first four to see whether it'll align with your sensibilities.

The early issues aren't as weird as I'm probably making it sound, especially if your mind can handle Young Liars anyway.
    There's a Irredeemable Ant Man TRADE BABY? Awesome.
    I read all of Y the last Man today.

I hated it.
    I am gonna slap you in the balls. WITH CARPET LINT'S FACE
    Woah there Zephy.

PEACE be with you.

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL.
    I just bought all of 100 bullets.

What is wrong with me? I feel so strange. God I hope it's not as bad as that awful awful Y the last man?????&&&&&
    If you don't like 100 Bullets, then I will slap you in the face with Carpet Lint's balls.
    If you don't like 100 Bullets, then I will slap you in the face with Carpet Lint's balls.

I hated Y the last man as much as I hated All Star Superman. Both were HOOOOORRIBLE.
    Nice! Good looking out.

Torpedo Comics also has an eBay sale of Marvel's Essentials TPBs. Not as good as the TFAW sale, but it's there if you want to look. http://shop.ebay.com/torpedo_comics/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_sc=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_pgn=1
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just bought all of 100 bullets.

What is wrong with me? I feel so strange. God I hope it's not as bad as that awful awful Y the last man?????&&&&&

so you read it in one day and hated it??? when it comes to reading, that is form of entertainment where if dont like something i will not finish it..like some movies even if i dont like i will finish but with reading that shit does not happen...so im suprised you got through it...what didnt you like about it...

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
    No I am kidding, I thoroughly enjoyed it. That is why I read all of it in two days.

I got all of 100 bullets here, and I will start to read that after I finish fast food nation.
    Latest stuff I have read:

World War Hulk OHC - the oversized hardcover collecting world war hulk and a few other issues. I think I like it better this second time I read it but it's still no Planet Hulk. My biggest gripe is Sentry - such a stupid character. Also the climax should have been better and darker - not just the 10000th time we see bruce banner carted away in a containment unit.

Hulk: Heart of the Atom MPC - really liked this one. It collects a bunch of diferent Hulk comics that revolve around him shrinking to atomic size and visiting a medival world he begins ruling with his love Jarella. First one was written by Harlan Ellison.

X-Men: Magik - Storm and Illyana MPC - this is the Magik limited series from the 80s. Some interesting stuff but not that great. Cant say I have ever read anything by Claremont that I can say I loved.

Avengers: From First to Last MPC - Didnt like this one all too much. The stories in the beginning were good (I think they were backups in Classic Avengers comics) but I wasnt feeling the Peter David Last Avengers story.

Wolverine: Not Dead Yet MPC - this collects a 4 issue Wolverine arc from the late 90s (or early 00s) written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Leniel Yu. Thoroughly enjoyed this although it didnt really seem weighty enough to merit its own trade.

Sandman Mystery Theater Volume 7 - Collects The Mist and Phantom of the Fair. Wagner and Seagle are slowly bringing in more golden age JSA members as we get Ted Knight and Jim Corrigan. Solid stuff all around.

DC One Million - This is the same trade as JLA One Million. Freaky stuff. It didnt help that DC didnt reprint the freakin covers of the issues so you never know what you're reading. There are some really cool/strange parallels to All Star Superman in this, like a lot of the ideas were born here.

Hitman: Rage in Arkham - good stuff, they better collect the rest

X-Men 2099 vol. 1 - Didnt love this. Classic Ron Lim art but could have been written better. Needs more characterization and more ties to the classic x-men.

I have stopped buying trades due to my job situation but I still have a huge backlog I am getting through. Highlights of upcoming stuff include Power Pack Classic, Exiles Ultimate Collection, more GI Joe, and the entire Johns Flash saga. I am also still keeping my trade pull list updated so I know what to order once my new operation is up and running.
    Anybody reading The Mighty or Irredeemable?
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,032 mod
    I've been meaning to talk about this for a while but I enjoyed X-Men Magneto Testament soooo much.

The story tells of Magneto's ordeal in the concentration camp and they go through lots of stories in the comics to streamline everything and clear things up so we can have one cohesive back story. Pak gives nods to stories told in the past like New Mutants #49 and Uncanny X-Men #199.

The artwork by Giandomenico is beautiful yet haunting, he finds ways of telling so much horror by showing so little. In one scene there's a pile of corpses in the background and it is drawn is such a way that it's just 'there' and there are no artistic tricks used to pull your eyes towards it. Scenes like this are depicted as just the way life was on a concentration camp.

A tremendous amount of research was done when crafting the story to make it seem as historically accurate as possible. There's lots of liner notes with internet links that can be seen here.

http://www.pakbuzz.com/magneto

There's a forward by Stan Lee and there is also the true story called "The Last Outrage" that was printed in the single issues.

On top of all this, the book even lays out lesson plans for teachers who wish to incorporate this book while teaching their kids about the Holocaust. It even suggests that they use Maus as well. Here's a lesson they suggest you preform before reading this book, but it's not the only one. There are quite a few.

"Prior to the start of the class, divide the classroom and remove chairs from one side of classroom. As students enter the classroom, have them pick playing cards from a deck. Tell the students holding black cards (clubs or spades) to take the seats. Tell the students holding red cards (diamonds or hearts) to remain standing.

Show the class a bag of candy (or a similarly desirable prize). Explain that the class will vote on how the candy is distributed. There are two options. Either everyone in the room will get a piece of candy or all of the candy will go to the people who are seated. Ask for people to vote for each option with a show of hands. But when you count the vote, make a point of only counting the votes of the students who are seated.

Ignore any comments or complaints from the students who are standing. Respond only to the students who are sitting. And even if the sitting students voted to disburse the candy to everyone, only give the candy to the students who are sitting.

Then "break character" and allow all the students to sit. It might also be a good idea at this point to redistribute the candy fairly. Ask your students whether the system for distributing the candy was fair. Ask them what specifically made it fair or unfair. Ask the standing students how it felt when they realized they were going to be treated unfairly. Ask the sitting students how it felt when they realized they were going to receive special privileges.

Discuss with your students about the ways some individuals make much more serious distinctions and divisions between people for reasons such as race, religion, gender, political beliefs, and sexual orientation and ask students to express their opinions and thoughts about such division. While students are discussing their opinions, remind them to reflect on their reactions to the activity."

I have to say that this is one of those books that makes me proud that I am still reading Marvel comics to this very day. I strongly urge that everyone goes out and gives this book a shot.
    that's good to hear.

but i dunno, I've always felt weird about the whole magneto being in concentration camp thing. I guess it's something I dont feel like a superhero universe should delve that much into
    Yeah, I feel you on that one. Sometimes it's tacky when corporate superhero comics try to make a whole big thing with some real-world event. Even worse, it could be disrespectful.

Nowadays, it's tough to imagine Magneto as a Holocaust survivor. He's still in the prime of his life, despite getting decapitated by Wolverine. Also, didn't some cosmic being turn him into a baby and allow him to grow back into his prime? That musta been some CLAREMONT stuff back in the '80s.

We all know Mags is young as hell, are there even any other games where 80 year old men administer blazing fast ass rapings like in MvC2? COMMA SPLICE!
    I forgot how awesome Transmet is...I think I'd been reading too much Ellis superhero stuff. If it was around when I was 14 I would have turned out awesome
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    just read ex machina trades 1-7. good stuff. will be reading the full run of y this week.
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    Top Shelf is having a big sale to celebrate the upcoming The Surrogates movie.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/specialdeals

They got a bunch of things at $3 and a number of other books with slashed prices. At a glance, I'd definitely recommend The Barefoot Serpent by Scott Morse; for three bucks, that's a steal. One of my all-time favorite comics, it's a heartfelt meditation on sibling love, death, and Akira Kurosawa movies. The anthologies look really tempting, too.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Thanks Zephyranthes for recommending Hate.

I was glad to read something funny for a change. Overall great book, but the one scene when the Jew say he will report the chick to the Elders of Zion failed on me. I understand it is black humor, but the scene just bugs me.

since there is a link above for another book i just read, Essex County, i recommend checking out the preview. I only have one big f'ing complaint. The book is great. You guys should really check out the preview, but at the bottom of each f'ing page they put Book One: Tales From The Farm | (page number). I am not sure why whoever decided to do this, but they should of know the eye would gravitate toward there if the art is f'ing black and white. I was able to get over it because it was a really good story. If you do check out the preview, also check out the individual volumes. They dont have that shit in the bottom.

I also picked up Mome Vol 1. Some good stories, but the last two sucked
    latest books read:

Avengers: Hawkeye mpc (vol. 22) - Collects a 4 issue Hawkeye mini series from the 80s as well as some random issues featuring hawkeye and mockingbird. I thought the mini series was very good, definitely better than any of Claremont's mini's from this time period.

Cloak and Dagger mpc (vol. 23) - I was into C&D as a kid growing up so this is stuff I have read before. Would have liked more extras, but this is a solid mini. Hopefully there will be a C&D Classic tpb series to collect the regular series

Classic GI Joe vol. 2 - further collecting the 80s Marvel GI Joe series. Enjoyed this volume a lot. Destro is introduced and the majority of the collection is one long storyline with a great ending. Looking forward to future volumes.

Captain America: Fighting Chance - Denial - I think they should have released a complete Fighting Chance tpb instead of splitting it into two. I like bad marvel books from this time period so this was a good one. Story is basically nonsensical but who cares.

Exiles Ultimate Collection vol. 1 - collects the first 19 issues. This was my first exposure to Exiles. I'm not a big Judd Winick fan and this collection doesnt really change that as it has good elements and bad. I wish there were longer arcs so we got more involved in the alternate worlds. I also wish the while timekeeper/tallus device was dropped as it is a very phony plot device that doesnt make a lot of sense and takes away from the dramatic proceedings. I would rather have the plot grow organically from the timeline like in quantum leap or sliders. I also wish Blink had more characterization.

Infinity Crusade vol. 1-2 - Really like this one, although it's obvious why it's considered the least of the Infinity Trilogy. The IC trades collect the main IC mini as well as relevent issues from Warlock and the Infinity Watch and Warlock Chronicles, all written by Jim Starlin. I like all of this stuff and I love that Darkhawk and Sleepwalker are both involved (as they were in Infinity War). The main IC mini is pretty weak when compared to War or Gauntlet - it just isn't big enough to sustain the event. I also didn't like that Surfer was relegated to the background.

Power Pack Classic - I was into PP pretty hardcore as a kid so this is all classic stuff to me. It isn't really written like other marvel comics of the time (or since). Fun stuff, very grounded.

Scalped: Indian Country - Not bad but I wasn't blown away by it.

Transmetropolitan vol. 1-2 (new printings) - great, classic stuff. A breath of fresh air. I wish we had a Spider J active in the press irl

Tales of the Green Lantern Corps - new tpb collecting the 3 issue mini and a bunch of backups. I think I liked the back ups the best out of this tpb, as the main story was a little weak.

Hawkman: Endless Flight - didnt really like this. I've never been a Hawkman fan and this didnt change my opinion much. I particularly dont like hawkgirl/woman

Invasion - collects the 3 giant size mini series issues by Keith Giffen. This was pretty fun but runs out of steam after the second issue. Bothered me that the focus was too much on the bad guys/aliens and not enough on the heroes (and when it was it was the 3rd stringers)

Millenium - yeah, this was pretty terrible and nonsensical. Did anything ever happen to these new super powered characters?
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,032 mod
    P. Gorath are you reading the earlier Classic G.I. Joe trades that came out a few years ago or the newer reprints of those books? Before they got up to about vol. 6 or so, just after Serpentor showed up. Me I'm just waiting for the new series to catch up.
    Im reading the new IDW trades..I think they are up to vol. 5 now. Hopefully they will continue and collect the whole series. Really want the Snakeyes trilogy which started with #94 and the Destro trilogy at #116
    Bought a lot of Spidey stuff, slowly getting through it.

JMS Ultimate Collection Vol. 1: Halfway through it, I'm really enjoying it. JMS dialog is great, Spidey/Peter Parker is witty, intelligent, heroic, responsible, and everything else that makes Spidey, well Spidey. Not much in the way of a supporting cast so far, but Aunt May is a fun, well-rounded character for the first time ever. The issue where she tells Peter she knows he is Spidey was fantastic, and I really liked that she was more upset that Peter has been lying to her for years, although she still hates him being Spider-man. A lot of people don't like the Ezekiel/mystic spidey-totem, but I do. Its very interesting, Ezekiel a very likable character(I keep imagining Liam Neeson doing the voice, the wise mentor role I guess), and it adds to the narrative instead of taking away. Also, woot for Parker becoming a teacher. Real character development!

And man, Romita JR is fantastic in this thing. The fight with Morlun is one of the most brutal I've ever seen, and he he's just as good doing action and he doing emotional issues like the Aunt May confrontation issue.

Seriously, I'm loving this so far. I got all the run up until New Avengers, right before it gets into all that "Other/Civil War/Back in Black/One More Day" bullshit. Lets just hope "Sins Past" isn't TOO bad. I'll go in with an open mind, since I heard fandom is pretty love it or hate it about that.
    I like JMS' Civil War, Back in Black, and Sins Past stories. The Civil War and Back in Black stories were probably some of the better Marvel books to tie into the event. They had some good characterization and really nice artwork, and some dramatic buildups to the action sequences.

Sins Past I like because it's melodramatic and shocking (well, at the time it was serialized this was the case). The craft of the comic is strong as well; the actual writing, the pacing, and the characterizations are all strong, and I think it's got the best artwork Deodato has ever produced.

Do I think the actual ramifications of the story make sense in the wider context of the history of the Marvel Universe? Probably not. But I do laugh at fanboys who were up in arms solely because of a "retcon." I'm about as big a Gwen Stacy fan as there is, but it's not like I took this story personally and got pissed at what happened to her. It's just Spider-Man.
    Just read Sins Past, its definitely up there with my favorite Spidey stories from this decade. Its a well-crafted, emotional story with fantastic artwork and strong characterization.