The Official Collected Editions Thread (New & Improved!)

Comments

• TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Errr well I would recommend, if you haven't already:
    Daredevil by Bendis (Brubaker writers the seris after Daredevil). These runs are collected in Omnibus form
    IDW's Transformers series; check the TF thread to see a reading order for the series, or get the Omnibuses
    Hellboy; wikipedia has a list of released TPBs this is a series that may not make sense at first but as you keep reading you'll get to like it/appreciate it more
    EDIT: BPRD: Read this AFTER Hellboy or when Hellboy goes on his quest. Wikipedia has a TPB list of this as well
    Astro City; this is a series from the 90s but has fantastic art and stories
    Nextwave: Agents of HATE by Warren Ellis
    Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis and by the writers that took over after him
    Dark Avengers by Bendis
    Red Hulk by Jeff Parker (his run begins in the TPB "Scorched Earth" so start from there)

That's kind of it off the top of my head ^_^;
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just finished The Boys vol. 9. AAAaaaaah so good! Couldn't believe the final issue

It's too bad DMZ couldn't maintain its level of quality. At this point I would much rather have had Exterminators continue than it. Also still bummed Madame Xanadu was cancelled. Are there any worthwhile Vertigo books right now (and dont say Fables)?

I was in a used bookstore with a large graphic novel selection the other day and ended up buying a bunch. Picked up all the JLA volumes I was missing to have the whole run, the two Ellis Stormwatch trades I was missing (even though DC is set to re-release these in deluxe hardcovers), and some random stuff I'd been meaning to pick up like the new vol. 1 of Hellblazer.

I also stumbled upon a hardcover of Hepcats: Snowblind part 1. I had totally forgotten about this series, which Wizard Magazine of all places used to push pretty hard in its early days. I looked it up on wiki and apparently the creator never finished the series - that's pretty lame.

Some Marvel collected editions news: Ultimate Spider-man and Rick Remender Punisher are getting omnibused, and X-Men Fatal Attractions and Operation: Zero Tolerance are getting the fat OHC treatment
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You are a true fan if you're going to buy hardcovers of Fatal Attractions and Operation: Zero Tolerance. I respect your unabashed love for the nineties.

And as for current Vertigo books, I'm pretty behind on them myself... I haven't read Unwritten, but I've only heard good things from it, and pretty much every Mike Carey book I've read has been money so I can't imagine it being bad. I've also heard good things about iZombie, even though it's got zombies and vampires. On the other hand, it's got Mike Allred. I also haven't read American Vampire yet, but I heard that was good. I've seen all of these at the library, but I just haven't checked them out (literally) because I already own a whole mess of books I haven't read yet. To borrow a stack of comics when I already have a stack of stuff I paid for seems kinda gluttonous...

I also really like what I've read of Northlanders, although that series is ending soon as well. And Milligan's been writing Hellblazer.

Oh, yeah; and FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
    speaking of the 90s, they really need to reprint Deathlok vol. 2

...and Secret Defenders

...and all the midnight sons books

...and 2099
    Captain America Lives Omnibus (vol.3) - the Cap issues were the usual brubaker goodness, I especially like the bucky/black widow interplay. the cap reborn mini on the other hand was really dull, by-the-numbers and unoriginal. I feel like I've read the "character trapped in alternate time/reality slowly realizing something is wrong" a hundred times before. The mini especially pales in comparison to the similarly themed (but differently executed) Batman Return of Bruce Wayne, which was bursting with originality, adventure, fun, and meaning. It also felt like Cap came back way too soon.

Ghost Rider by Jason Aaron Omnibus - I really liked Aaron's first GR arc when I read it in tpb, so it spurred me to pick up this book. Unfortunately, the quality goes south almost immediately after the opening arc. The artist changes and it's all pretty bad until he comes back for the final issues. The stories are pretty terrible - the tone is all over the place and the characters are just dumb. I hate the Danny Ketch characterization throughout. Aaron started treating GR like a joke, and you can feel the contempt he has for the audience. I definitely regret buying this and should have stuck with the first trade.
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    Just started reading the Milligan/Allred x-force. Wow. Really great stuff.
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    went to the good used books store last night and picked up Shade the Changing Man vol. 1-3 and Astounding Wolf-Man vol. 1-4.

I really need to pick up the old Complete Concrete tpb one of the days. I loved that book when I was a kid...I would flip through it at the comic shop every time. I also have some Concrete stories from DHP etched in my brain from when I was young...there was a particular one where he went to this guy's house who was a giant collector that was pretty cool
    Just started reading the Milligan/Allred x-force. Wow. Really great stuff.

Yup. Those comics are my all-time favorite Marvels. I already own all the issues and I bought the omnibus when it came out. I'd probably buy the TPBs if I ever found 'em for cheap, too.
    went to the good used books store last night and picked up Shade the Changing Man vol. 1-3 and Astounding Wolf-Man vol. 1-4.

I really need to pick up the old Complete Concrete tpb one of the days. I loved that book when I was a kid...I would flip through it at the comic shop every time. I also have some Concrete stories from DHP etched in my brain from when I was young...there was a particular one where he went to this guy's house who was a giant collector that was pretty cool

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE!!!!1 Yeah, boy. Just some fantastic comics right there. Gonna be some great reading in store for you. And Concrete, man! I love Concrete. That's definitely up there in terms of my favorite series. The newer TPBs are more complete, but the old Complete Concrete is printed in glorious dimensions.
    Yup. Those comics are my all-time favorite Marvels. I already own all the issues and I bought the omnibus when it came out. I'd probably buy the TPBs if I ever found 'em for cheap, too.

willing to sell the omnibus?
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • Windlord0Windlord0 Swordsman for hire Joined: Posts: 465

I also really like what I've read of Northlanders, although that series is ending soon as well. And Milligan's been writing Hellblazer.

Oh damn. I just saw this. This is my favorite currently running comic. Vikings get so little well made accurate representation in fiction, and it's a damn shame. This was so good, though I don't think any of the long arcs are better than the first one, but the short comics are really well done glimpses at life. Maybe in another 10 years there will be another viking series... maybe.
    chances are I could kill you
    (av: Hizen Hirosada Katana)
    Sorry, Painy. I'm keeping my X-Statix Omnibus until the day I have to raise funds to buy a new spleen or something.
    Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus - I thought this was pretty terrible. I felt Wolverine was written like a teenager for most of it...the whole characterization just felt off. The stories were really lame for the most part, like something a college creative writing student would do...just really pretentious and grating. I really wanted to like this, but it was just bad. Really I don't think Wolverine has been handled well since Morrison's run.

Hellraiser vol. 1: Pursuit of the Flesh - this collects the new Boom! Studios series. It was great! Really impressed by the book and looking forward to reading more. The Hellraiser sequel we always wanted

Hack/Slash Omnibus vol. 1 - This was actually pretty good. Light and breezy for the most part...sometimes a little too light. I like the early stories the most because there was still a bit of scares and menace to it, whereas later it became too slapstick. The Evil Ernie mini was probably my favorite of the bunch...someone really needs to go back and collect all the Evil Ernie stuff in new trades.

Crossed vol. 1 - OOOOOOOMMMMMGGG this book was so good. Don't know how it fell below my radar for so long. I think I avoided it because I thought it was a religious book or something. Goddamn this was good. Ennis on top of his game.

Crossed vol. 2 - Not as good as vol. 1 but still decent.

Jennifer Blood vol. 1 - Liked this one a lot. Had some really funny moments. Classic Hitman-esque Ennis.

Currently reading through Warren Ellis Stormwatch...good stuff so far.
    Recently read Grendel: God and the Devil for the first time. People say it's supposed to be one of the ultimate Grendel stories, but I just didn't like it at all. I finished the whole thing but it felt like a chore. Loved the artwork, but the story just didn't interest me at all. I'm pretty biased against stories in which a corrupt Catholic church rules society with an iron fist.That's probably one of my least favorite story cliches. Still, I tried to give the comic a fair shake, but none of the characters engaged me. I wasn't into the insanity and chaotic mind of Eppy Thatcher and I didn't feel invested at all for Orion Assante's mission. The Pope was a generic bad guy and I felt like if I were a Catholic, I'd be offended by the comic.

I also just read Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths. I enjoyed that a little more. It's a well-done little science fiction war comic. Great artwork, too. Still, I think my favorite Grendel comics are Devil's Legacy and War Child. I also enjoyed Grendel Tales: Four Devils, One Hell. I feel like I should reread all of those, though... My disappointing experience with God and the Devil has made me seriously question my enjoyment of Matt Wagner in general. (I also recently reread his Batman and the Monster Men and Mad Monk stories... Those were pretty average.)

I also read David Lapham's Murder Me Dead for the first time. I got all nine issues for cheap a while ago because I could never find the TRADE, BABY. Murder Me Dead was excellent - the pacing, the craft, the mystery, the artwork, everything. It's a great crime comic and definitely something I can revisit in the future. This is right up there with Stray Bullets and Silverfish in terms of my favorite Lapham comics I've read so far. I've got all six issues of Sparta, U.S.A. (comics which I compiled from digging through quarter bins across the Bay Area over the years, and recently found the last one I needed) on the docket.
    what?!

Monster Men and Mad Monk are great (albeit much more nuanced and subtle than 99.9% of superhero comics out there) and God and the Devil is a classic! I dunno, are you reading this stuff out of order? Because at the end of the day it's not like it's a stand alone story - it's issues 23-33 of a 50 issue series. I dunno, the storyline feels more relevant to me now than ever. An atheist hero taking on the evil and corrupt church...sign me up please. Great use of multiple narratives, great art, the return of the villain from all the way back in issues 1-12...a classic all around. And then you get Devil's Reign next, which is awesome while using a completely different narrative. I mean seriously, has any comic switched things up and pushed the envelope storytelling-wise as much from arc to arc as the 50 issue Grendel series?
    Monster Men and Mad Monk just don't really stand out to me anymore. I've read those two or three times each and my most recent reread just left me feeling like I could live without owning them in my collection. They aren't bad, and I would agree that they're better than most (although 99.9% is an exaggeration) superhero comics. I thought they were rather simple, but as tributes to the Golden Age of Batman, they work very well. There have been a lot of modern day tributes to Silver Age-style superhero comics, but there haven't been as many Golden Age tributes. (Terra Obscura and Project Superpowers come to mind; that's about it.)

I did enjoy the scene where Batman was sneaking around in the castle, only the stairs he was walking on smoothed out and sent him spiraling into a trap room with spiked walls that closed in on him. I could see how most people would find that super corny, but I thought it was funny. At the end of the day, I thought they were just fun Batman tales that don't really probe too deeply into what makes him who he is. They were plot-driven with fine character bits, but ultimately I guess I'm just not too excited by seeing Batman fight monster men and vampires.

As far as Grendel goes, yeah, I've been reading them out of order. The first thing I ever read was Devil's Legacy. Then I think I read Red, White, and Black, and then War Child. I just read 'em as I've been able to find 'em (for cheap). I don't think reading them in order would change my opinion about God and the Devil, though. I respect Wagner's skills as a storyteller, but I just don't like the story in God and the Devil.

It's probably just me, but I'm not down with stories that rail against God or religion in general. Whether it's a story blatantly vilifying organized religion or religious institutions or a story where the antagonists are a bunch of stereotypical right-wing Christians portrayed in an unflattering manner, I am not down with that. I get that most comic book creators are probably atheists, but it's tough for me to enjoy a story when I feel like they're just trying to show how foolish it is to believe in God or practice religion. I'm definitely not Catholic, but if I were, that Grendel story would have offended me.

I'm not hating on Wagner, I'm just saying I don't like God and the Devil.
    the wife bought me the x-statix omnibus. can't wait to get it so i can finally find out what happened after the series was renamed
    Zephy will be happy to know my latest book order includes this fine specimen of comic literature: http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-The-Crossing-Bob-Harras/dp/0785162038
    Whaaaaaat.... An omnibus? What? Why would they even make... Never mind... I give up.
    read the first Planet of the Apes trade from Boom...excellent stuff, both story and art. Boom is on a roll right now
    Yeah, Boom does a lot of really good stuff.

By the way, www.tfaw.com still has a sale until the end of the month. Get some cheap treasure!
    oh yeah I also picked up David Boring by Daniel Clowes at the used bookstore. I didn't know it existed but flipping through it I knew I would like it so I got it. I read it in two sittings and it indeed was excellent.

i definitely need to get into more indie stuff but it's hard to find the good stuff amidst all the blankets/black hole/maus crap
    Yeah, I like David Boring. I think that's my favorite Clowes comic that I've read. You ever read Adrian Tomine's stuff?

Why don't you like Blankets, Black Hole, and Maus?
    The end of x-statix brought a tear to my eye.
    117044f1.jpg

I'm one proud parent.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,590
    I got Scott Pilgrim and The Walking Dead issue 1 free on my ipad, I haven't read a graphic novel in 3 or 4 years and even then I barely got my feet wet. Would be great if there were more than 3 graphic novels available for download it would be so convenient to have my entire collection with me wherever I go. On the other hand while graphic novels aren't the same as regular books I'm not sure yet if I'd prefer a physical collection or not.

Anyone have a resource for e-graphic novels?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod
    Curious. Is Scott Pilgrim on the Ipad in color?

Because they just started releasing the graphic novels in color. I would've gotten the first volume but it was like over 20 bucks for something I own / read in black and white so I passed. I have the video game and that's in color, I'm good. :rofl:
    First volume is. I still can't decide if I want to start a physical or e collection.....although the selection on the comics app sucks since it's mostly all single issues the convenience of having everything with me at once is too good to pass up.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Probably should have posted this much earlier, but Top Shelf's annual $3 sale ends today.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/special-deals

Lots of good stuff there.
    zephy, green apple has the milligan x-force trades. i picked up punisher in the blood last week.
    Are they in the bargain bins outside? Or just on the shelves inside? Seems like every so often the Green Apple just unleashes a bunch of comics into the bargain bins, but I can never predict when or why or which books.
    on the shelves inside. i'll check the bargain bins next time i go
    so i read final crisis : revelations. uch better than FC itself. my question is, what books were leading up to that mini? i wanna read those next.
    haven't read a comic in almost 4 years, on a whim I downloaded The Chair on my iPad and it was really good:tup:

made me realize how much I miss comics.
    Thinking of buying the new x-men Morrison omni.
    TFAW.com is having their annual Black Friday sale. Stuff is already 40%-70% off. On Friday it'll be 50%-80%. The nick and dent TPBs/HCs are super worth it at 70% or 80% off.
    I....bought the Morrison new x-men omnibus.....I feel dirty
    haven't checked in here in a while. still think they should close this forum and give us back a regular thread in GD.

got some books in the mail today:

Walking Dead vol. 8 (hardcover)
    Death of Ultimate Spider-man omnibus
    Crossed vol. 4
    Crossed: Wish You Were Here tpb
    Jennifer Blood vol. 2
    Hellraiser vol. 4
    Planet of the Apes vol. 3

Buying a lot more BOOM! these days. Hellraiser and POTA are excellent, beyond all expectations.
    The madness is starting. TFAW's servers are starting get laggy as hell!
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 961
    recently picked up

Astonishing X-Men omnibus
    Wolverine omnibus McNiven cover
    Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 Romita DM cover
    X-Statix omnibus
    Mighty Thor omnibus
    Fear Agent hardcover vol 1
    Judas Coin
    Manhattan Projects vol 1

I don't know what to read first...
    Nice group of books. I'm getting ASM vol. 2 for christmas (unfortunately not the romita cover) and I'll pick up the Fear Agent omnibus at some point
    recently picked up

Astonishing X-Men omnibus
    Wolverine omnibus McNiven cover
    Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 Romita DM cover
    X-Statix omnibus
    Mighty Thor omnibus
    Fear Agent hardcover vol 1
    Judas Coin
    Manhattan Projects vol 1

I don't know what to read first...

x-statix. trust me on this.
    If you go to cheapgraphicnovels.com or the Pulp Fiction store in Long Beach you can get the Romita cover for 70 bucks.

I did manage to snag the last copy of Fear Agent from there. I think the book sold out quick from what I've heard.

Also forgot to mention that X-Statix and Wolverine omnibus has not arrived yet. I did win X-Statix yesterday on eBay and I'm waiting for my Wolverine omnibus to come soon since I was suppose to get it on Friday but didn't show up.
    my X-Statix came in the mail today but looks like I won't be getting my Wolverine omnibus since either the USPS or the seller messed up.

but here are all my pickups this month
    5kRYf.jpg
    Zephy will be happy to know that i've FINALLY started reading Joe Casey's WildCats.  I've currently read through the first two volumes (aka vol. 2 and 3 of the second series) and they were both excellent.  

I've also been reading the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files - highly recommended.  

That DOES make me happy! Casey also cowrote issues 5 and 6 in the first Wildcats volume 2 TPB, although I think the TPB doesn't credit him. He cowrote the Zealot issues with Lobdell. Granted, Lobdell wrote most of that TPB so you're not missing anything particularly important (other than some pretty Travis Charest art) - Vicious Circles is a genuine starting point. The Joe Casey completist in me felt obligated to point that out.

I've been totally interested in those Dredd Case Files. I need to find some way to score them cheap.

My overall collection's getting to be a bit too much, though - I need to purge. My TRADES, BABY are all stacked up or piled in boxes due to lack of anywhere else to put them.
    edited March 2013
    That DOES make me happy! Casey also cowrote issues 5 and 6 in the first Wildcats volume 2 TPB, although I think the TPB doesn't credit him. He cowrote the Zealot issues with Lobdell. Granted, Lobdell wrote most of that TPB so you're not missing anything particularly important (other than some pretty Travis Charest art) - Vicious Circles is a genuine starting point. The Joe Casey completist in me felt obligated to point that out.

I've been totally interested in those Dredd Case Files. I need to find some way to score them cheap.

My overall collection's getting to be a bit too much, though - I need to purge. My TRADES, BABY are all stacked up or piled in boxes due to lack of anywhere else to put them.
    Yeah a part of me wants to go back and read all the Wildcats books...even though I'm sure most of them suck. I've read the complete Alan Moore tpb but that's it.  I finished vol. 4 last night and I'll be starting on Wildcats 3.0 year one tpb tonight.  What other Joe Casey stuff should I check out?  

I was surprised how much I've been liking the old Dredd stuff.  I'd never read any Dredd comics but the movie was so good I decided to give them a try, and I figured why not start at the beginning.  I actually skipped vol. 1 and started with vol. 2 as it starts with the first Dredd epic, "The Cursed Earth" and they've all been really fun and interesting.  

I did two big purges in the last few months...sold off probaby 125-ish books on ebay.  

Oh yeah, and definitely one of the best tpb's I've read the past year was the revamped Glory.  Excellent story, really great art...it's too bad the series has been canned already.  I haven't picked up Prophet yet but looking forward to doing so.  

I've been very slow in reading/buying the New 52 stuff, as I didn't like the reboot in the first place and DC fucked us by not releasing the final trade to the excellent R.E.B.E.L.S. and a few other titles. I'm also only buying the tpb's as I don't like tiny hardcovers of ongoing series and DC is taking a long time to release the trades of the titles that went to hardcover first (like batman, superman, justice league, etc).  As of now I've read the first volumes of Animal Man, Frankenstein, and Demon Knights.  I thought Demon Knights was solid and a lot of fun, Frankenstein was okay, felt like morrison-lite, and Animal Man was terrible and way overhyped.  
    edited March 2013
    I liked Alan Moore's WildC.A.T.s, even with all the art hiccups. The other WildC.A.T.s run that's fun reading is James Robinson's - I think he did five or six issues, mostly with Travis Charest. Still, Casey and Phillips probably did the best. Version 3.0 is a natural progression of the story, but what hurts is that Dustin Nguyen left after the first year to draw some bullcrap Batman story or something, and then the series was cancelled after 24 issues. Casey had said he had a 48-issue story plotted out, so that sucks. I'm still not over it.

As for other Joe Casey TPBs/HCs to check out, the first thing that comes to mind is Godland. His Mr. Majestic TPB collects 6 out of 9 issues of the series. The Milkman Murders is good. Codeflesh is really strong, too - and there's one chapter in that book that is so lyrical and artfully executed, it pretty much seals the deal. Butcher Baker was recently given the deluxe HC treatment, although I still have yet to read it; it's still in its shrinkwrap sitting on my desk at home. I've heard that it's the purest distillation of the Casey ethos since Automatic Kafka (which some would consider his finest work, although it's never been collected).

A lot of Casey's stuff hasn't been collected, other than his somewhat recent Marvel stuff (Iron Man: The Inevitable, Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin, Fantastic Four: First Family, Avengers: EMH v.1 and 2, Avengers: The Origin, The Last Defenders, Zodiac, Vengeance, and probably some others I'm forgetting). Of those, I'd recommend The Inevitable, The Last Defenders, Zodiac, and Vengeance. His older Marvel stuff was great but you'd have to dig in the back issue bins for his epic Cable run and his Deathlok series. I really liked his Uncanny X-Men, too, other than the inconsistent artwork.

And from DC, his Adventures of Superman run is right up there with All-Star Superman in my mind as the best Superman stories ever - and of course, it's never been collected. Automatic Kafka issues aren't too cheap on eBay. DC never collected The Intimates, either - those jerks.

I've got Glory and Prophet on my radar. I really wanna hit those up. Casey and Nathan Fox even had a run on Haunt, which I've gotta check out, too.

I've been reading some New 52 stuff, mostly all from the library. I mentioned in the DC thread that I read that first Demon Knights book. I didn't think much of it. I couldn't get past the terrible art, but I thought the idea of the story was solid enough. I really liked Animal Man, though. I thought it was the best New 52 book I've read so far. (I borrowed the first two volumes of Wonder Woman, so I'm expecting those to be good.) I haven't been as consistent in posting reviews on my blog, but lately I've been deriving a little sick pleasure from crapping on some terrible comics - I read that first Johns/Lee Justice League and the first Finch Batman, and reviewed 'em both.
    I finished Wildcats. Really dissatisfied with the ending...it felt like the ending of an arc and then Casey whipped up a single page to make it the end of the series. Overall I enjoyed vol. 2 more than 3.0 both in story and art. My biggest problem was that Spartan stopped being as cool in 3.0 since he wasn't really doing too much - he felt very stagnant. It also bothered me that Casey treated AN INFINITE ENERGY SOURCE as something that would go over in such a ho-hum way to the world. It just felt bad from a conceptual level that it would take a year for someone to figure out that AN INFINITE ENERGY SOURCE could be used in a car as a well as a flashlight.

I believe Casey was going to explore the wider ramifications of an infinite energy source in the world, as well as various other plot threads. I read in an interview where he said that the last page of #24 wasn't rewritten even after he knew he was being canceled.