The Official Collected Editions Thread (New & Improved!)

Comments

• ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Did some comic book hunting at various stores in my city this weekend and came out with a couple decent books, especially considering their prices. Here's what I found:

Aliens Omnibus Volume 1 - $3
    JSA volumes 7 and 8 - $4 each (volume 8 is the Black Reign storyarc that I read years ago and remembered liking)
    JLA: Heaven's Ladder -$4 (been looking for a copy of this for years now... I guess I can finally return the copy I "borrowed" from my friend)
    Thunderbolts: Caged Angels - $4 (great read)
    On The Road to Perdition - $3 (the semi-sequel/side stories to the original Road to Perdition)
    Livewires - $4 (one of Marvel's sweetest and most underrated miniseries of the past several years)
    Redwall - $1 (comic adaptation of the Brian Jacques novel; for only a buck, I figured why the hell not take a chance)
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-713428097/sets/between-the-gutters
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/between-the-gutters-podcast/id1311976402
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    If you don't like 100 Bullets, then I will slap you in the face with Carpet Lint's balls.

I got bored half way through but I have the first 3 books.
    I now also have Watchmen (finally found it being sold) and Mouse Guard Winter 11xx, forgot what the year was ^_^;
    Livewires...where've I heard of that before?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    Somehow, I'm not surprised you found 100 Bullets boring.
    Between the Gutters: A comic book podcast that talks about the stories within the panels.
  • Carpet LintCarpet Lint MUHFUGGA NEVA LOVED US Joined: Posts: 3,404
    I got bored half way through but I have the first 3 books.
    This is unfortunate.

(Although technically, since there's like 11 trades out, "half way" would really mean you would have to get to the fifth or sixth trade.)

I've actually heard that complaint from a lot of people, that 100 Bullets is "too slow" for them. And that nothing happens and that it's too boring.

Which is just absolutely insane to me, since that's the reason I can't even stand most big name Marvel and DC books these days. They stretch out four issue stories into like 70 issue megacrossover events that spill into 40 different titles.

It just makes me angry that in a world which DC can release pure shitfests like 52 and then Countdown to 52 and then Count Back Up to 52 and then Hey Here's 52 More Issues To Buy - like 200 weekly issues of pure watered down garbage comic books, and it sells like hot cakes...comics like 100 Bullets are dismissed out of hand because, well..."nothing happens."

Admittedly though, it's a hard story to follow, overall. That is a definitely legitimate gripe about 100 Bullets. And there's so much time between trades and the story is getting so complicated now that every time a new trade comes out, I seriously have to reread like the past five trades just to get all caught up again. And even then, it still takes me a few read throughs to completely get.

But I don't mind rereading these stories at all. I think some of the absolute best story telling in comic books is in 100 Bullets. Most of them are just stories that are fun to read, like one-shot or three part arcs that you enjoy just for the sake of enjoying a good story. I don't think that every comic book story necessarily needs to tie into a larger crossover, universe-wide event.
    I rather enjoyed 52 when I first read it, I plan to reread it again someday though.
    I didn't read Countdown nor the weekly Trinity comic series as I was not interested in them.
    I may consider reading Trinity though.
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    Are we seriously comparing 100 Bullets to 52? Really? 100 Bullets and 52? Why?

Tell me it's just because they both have numbers in their titles.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I liked 52
  • Dragon PunchDragon Punch Get your self blood shot Joined: Posts: 780
    Hey boys, it's been a minute.

Picked up a bunch of stuff over the summer (I opted to stay at home for half a year and build up a library of books/comics instead of moving out. My friends think I'm an idiot but I'm getting to the point where I'm actually pretty satisfied with my collection). Bout to head out but i just read 2 comics i had to big up.

Sleeper- season 1 and 2: I'm sure the Bru heads are all ready all over this, but what ever. Brubaker +Noir is all ways win, but toss in some superhero shit and it's guaranteed to be gold. I think I like this run more than any of his Criminal stuff.

I Kill Giants: I kind of cried, that is all.
    Free URL Redirection and URL Shrinking - http://www.link-shrink.com

Av by Blue Phoenix
    Ah, yes, SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEPER!!!!!!11!!1 is one of the best comics of the decade.

...and let's not compare it to 52.
  • DeathReaper47DeathReaper47 Katana-rama! Joined: Posts: 1,995
    Fear Agent is the truth. Picked up the first trade, and its pretty darn good read, even though its only four issues(with the next arc/trade being six, but whatever). Heath Huston is instantly likeable; he's a southern John McClane in perma-hangover. Its the fun kind of sci-fi adventure, the ones where mind-controlled monkeys swing giant wrenches and our hero flies around with a Buck Rogers jetpack and fancy ray guns(you can almost hear the 1950s B-movie sound effects). Also, he TOTALLY punt kicked a brain in the jar. Hell of a cliffhanger with the hero being KILLED in the first arc(although I read ahead on Wiki just to see how he came back). Definitely looking forward to the other trades, and the supposed movie that might have a 100+ million dollar budget, some say.
    I probably would've Matt Murdock roundhoused her ass using the vibration from her ignant ass voice to locate her. - Stuck being Stuck
    I had time to kill at the bookstore last night and I ended up reading Ultimatum and Ultimate Spidey: Ultimatum.

Somehow it was even worse than everyone said.

If Ultimate Spidey and New X-Men got me back into reading comics, Ultimatum came very close to pushing me back out. Never have I read such an abhorrent series from a major publisher. Never have I seen a book shit on so much continuity and fan goodwill for the sake of nothing. The worst part about Ultimatum isnt that it's another Jeph Loeb crapfest (which is to be expected) but that it totally derailed Ultimate Spiderman, turned its world ugly and for what purpose?

I wasnt reading comics during the Chuck Austin days but he couldnt be as bad as Loeb.
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,068 mod
    Loeb's worse than Austin IMHO. Austin's so bad it's hysterical. Loeb just makes you wanna cry.

Loeb's alright whenever he works with Sale for some reason. His non Marvel stuff is better than his Marvel stuff too. I'm still shocked at how good his Buffy Season Eight issue was... I wish he'd stay at DC or just leave Marvel. He doesn't get Marvel characters or their universes at all IMHO.
    ...I liked Austin's War Machine mini from a few years back...
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    do yourself a favor and read "scalped" that shit is amazing...its up there with top tier shit like 100 bullets, y the last man, etc...

and it has one of the best written bubbles in the history of bubbles that made me laugh and im sure you guys would get a kick out of it...

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
    Ok, so I'm currently re-reading the Messiah Complex OHC and I do admit I like a lot of it: the story is very cohesive from issue to issue and works in a whole messload of X-characters without them feeling shoehorned in or glossed over. Also, the artwork throughout is really, really strong. Perhaps the coloring is a bit too mark and muddled at times (which seems to be a line-wide problem for Marvel) but these issues collect artists at the top of their game and each chapter looks great.

But there's one major thing that gets me so I can't recommend the book and I zero'ed in on it during my second reading last night. Everything is going pretty fine story-wise, events are building on top of eachother and the mystery is thickening, and then we get to the third to last page of chapter 6 (Uncanny 493). The mansion has just been decimated by sentinels who wolverine and cyclops find out were piloted by people infected with nano-sentinels. All of a sudden out of the blue, Wolverine says "you really think Cable'd go that far?" Wha-wha-whaat? Since when were they talking about Cable? When was Cable even mentioned in this or prior issues? Why would Wolverine immediately pin this on Cable? Cyclops follows up that Cable had access to nano-sentinel samples (big deal), he's a scientist (who isnt in the MU?) and "we have no idea what his agenda is here...we have to assume the worst." WTF? I dont know an ally's agenda this time so I assume he wants to kill us all? Really? And the hilarious part is to underscore this, the writer has wolverine say in the next panel "I guess so." and that ends the debate! "I guess so." = Let's go out and hunt Cable down like a dog...it's not like we have a long history with him and he was recently an x-men member and all...

And this is CYCLOPS saying all of this. CYCLOPS aka Cable's freaking FATHER! He puts a hit out on his son! And all because "he's a capable scientist...we have no idea of his agenda...we have to assume the worst". Cable carries a gun around too...does that mean Cyclops should link him to the Kennedy assassination? I mean, I just recently read through a bunch of late 90s x-men trades (x-men vs apocalypse etc) and they are chock full of cyclops/jean with Cable scenes where they show love and respect and talk a bunch about sending baby nathan to the future and the ramifications etc. Hell, it's Cyclops who sacrificies his life to save Cable at the end of The Twelve...but this is the guy who now, with only the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence is going to put a hit out on Nathan? Really?

So this is where the book loses me. It made no sense the first time I read it, and it *really* doesnt make sense this time. I mean, how many hundreds of times has one of the x-men been mind controlled or similarly made to betray the team against their control, and the rest of the x-men recognize it and fight the real culprit instead? But no, this time it's "let's kill Cable" when they don't have any evidence or even motive he had any involvement. They might as well have picked a random team member's name out of a hat and said "wolverine - go kill."
    Today I got, for around a total of $70-
    Showcase presents Jonah Hex Vol. 1
    Y the Last Man Vol. 10 (completing my collection!)
    Gotham Central Vol. 4
    Cairo

While I was looking thru the TPBs in the shop I noticed an Ultimates HC; turns out it was Ultimates 3, I sighed then put it back in the shelf.
    Today I bought-
    Spiderman: Back in black
    Civil War: Wolverine

If I go to the mall again I may pick up-
    Spiderman: One More Day HC
    Spiderman: Reign
    Savage Dragon Black and White omnibus Vol. 1 (collecting the first 20-ish issues)
    did not like spiderman reign at all
  • TaichiTaichi Fuck Heroics. Joined: Posts: 1,462
    just started reading Moore's Swamp Thing Volume 2.

holy shit is this some good readin'.
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
    Member- SRK Cobra Kai. "GET 'IM A BODY BAG!"
    did not like spiderman reign at all

As I skimmed it a 2nd time, it's a 'what if-ish' type of story where MJ died and Peter is know a skinny old man but still with his powers.
  • DeathReaper47DeathReaper47 Katana-rama! Joined: Posts: 1,995
    Been reading Preacher for the first time. I'm kicking myself for not discovering its brilliance earlier. Also reading Ennis' Hitman, which maybe isn't quite as good as Preacher, its definitely more fun.
    I probably would've Matt Murdock roundhoused her ass using the vibration from her ignant ass voice to locate her. - Stuck being Stuck
    I've been making my way very slowly through the Secret Wars II omnibus.

Quite possibly the worst company-wide crossover in the history of crossovers.
    I've been making my way very slowly through the Secret Wars II omnibus.

Quite possibly the worst company-wide crossover in the history of crossovers.

Definitely the worst. You had to buy a ton of comics to keep up with it. Only positive kind of is that comics were only about 75 cents back then so you could afford to keep up with it more or less. Still a really big step down after Secret Wars I. Marvel got a little greedy and wanted more crossover money.

Only positive for me is that -
    The very end of the saga exposed me to theory of Evolution for the first time ever. I don't remember most of the story but I do remember that last page, since I didn't understand it and immediately asked my older brother about it.

I did like the bits with Spider-Man and the golden notepad for what it was worth. Well at least I remember it.
    classic gi joe vol. 6 should come out on wednesday. first time these issues have been collected
  • Truest StrikeTruest Strike The Power Cosmic Joined: Posts: 444
    Can someone give me info on the old Ninja Turtles series? I heard they came out with some trades based on the series from Keven Eastmen and Peter Laird. I'd get it because my old issues are falling apart.
    classic gi joe vol. 6 should come out on wednesday. first time these issues have been collected

Yeah most def picking that up. It's been a long wait for new G.I. Joe classic TPBs.
    Can someone give me info on the old Ninja Turtles series? I heard they came out with some trades based on the series from Keven Eastmen and Peter Laird. I'd get it because my old issues are falling apart.

This book came out this year that collects the first 11 issues.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?asm=24&TID=19545864
    just picked up all 4 quantum and woody tpb's for 5 bucks a pop. Priiiiiiiieeeeeeeeesssst!
  • Truest StrikeTruest Strike The Power Cosmic Joined: Posts: 444
    Thanks, Sano. That helped. They also have another one I ran into while at Border's today... must get all TMNT stuff this X-Mas!

:wgrin:
    just picked up all 4 quantum and woody tpb's for 5 bucks a pop. Priiiiiiiieeeeeeeeesssst!

Where'd you find 'em? I am envious, you lucky, lucky man.
    Where'd you find 'em? I am envious, you lucky, lucky man.

they were sitting there in the bargain section at Golden Apple :sweat:

too bad the last 5(?) issues were never collected
    Vol. 6 G.I. Joe TPB was bad ass. Can't believe they are already up to Cobra Commander with that blue and white armor. :smile:
    I think they've got up to vol. 9 solicited so far, and the tpb's seem to be selling out and getting scarcer so hopefully it's full steam ahead to collect the entire series.

Interesting note form reading Priest's website it seems like Larry Hama was Priest's biggest mentor/father figure at Marvel who would teach him how not to let the white man hold him down.
  • sonnywortziksonnywortzik relax Joined: Posts: 362
    I'm currently halfway through with DC Showcase Booster Gold & the 1st volume of Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle & I'm loving both of them.:lovin: I wanna know what I need to read to know why Jamie has been gone for a year since I'm planning on buying the next 2 volumes. Somebody mentioned to me that it was Infinite Crisis? Anybody want to confirm this?
    I'm currently halfway through with DC Showcase Booster Gold & the 1st volume of Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle & I'm loving both of them.:lovin: I wanna know what I need to read to know why Jamie has been gone for a year since I'm planning on buying the next 2 volumes. Somebody mentioned to me that it was Infinite Crisis? Anybody want to confirm this?

After Infinite Crisis, the DC Universe jumped ahead one year in a loose event titled "One Year Later". There isn't necessarily any trades/issues to get that fill in the gap. It's probably explained in one of the Blue Beetle trades, or not explained at all.
    @Sonny- Sorry for this late reply but from what I searched Jamie first appeared in Infinite Crisis, then after it finished he got his series which continue his adventures. So get Infinite Crisis to know more about him.
    Thanks for your help guys. I'll definitely pick that up along with the rest of the trades for Beetle.
    Thanks for your help guys. I'll definitely pick that up along with the rest of the trades for Beetle.

And if you want to see what happened to the previous Blue Beetle, pick up "The Omac Project" trade, which is a prequel to Infinite Crisis.
  • ViciousSLASHViciousSLASH Game Time Jones Joined: Posts: 7,510
    Yo, Will Clint.

I got Mesmo Delivery. It is very short, only 60 pages. It has a nice bunch of sketches though. Plus it's only ten dollars.

It's basically a little comic twilight zone episode. Which the creator said was one of his influences. It was a fun read. Very well drawn.
    http://michaelpfeffer.blogspot.com I don't even update this, who cares
    All right after the whole amazon glitch fiasco I ordered, they went ahead & canceled all my orders but, the good news is that they gave me a $25 gift certificate so I went ahead & ordered the 1st four volumes of The Sandman =) Feels good man
    Yesterday I finished rereading Batman: The Long Halloween. I hadn't read it in its entirety in probably at least five or six years. It hasn't aged well at all. When I first discovered it, I loved it, but after giving it a semi-critical reading, it doesn't hold up. There's nothing really wrong with the art, though. Tim Sale carries the entire thing. His storytelling skills give the story a weightiness and verisimilitude that simply isn't present in the text.

I now stand by P.Giddy's long-held assessment that The Long Halloween is crap.

The writing is weak. The narrative captions are heavy-handed and teem with cliches. Totally ham-fisted. Also, it's like Loeb thought he could make Batman's narration all the more dramatic by constantly splitting up his sentences with ellipses or dashes. For a superhero comic that tries its damndest to be a crime noir, it fails in its plotting. The structure of the story does not play by the rules of legit mystery-telling. Loeb cheats in the story. For example, Batman is the protagonist and narrator of the book, but Loeb constantly shows us things that Batman wouldn't know. There's even a ridiculous scene where one of the other characters, the Roman, has a thought balloon. There's only one thought balloon in the entire story, and it's the Roman's. That's not just cheating, it's lazy writing.

I don't think Loeb even knows who Holiday is. The so-called "ambiguity" is just a buncha garbage because he either wrote himself into a corner or he never planned to reveal Holiday's identity in the first place.

I'm in the middle of rereading Dark Victory again. So far, I think it's better than The Long Halloween, but I need to finish reading the rest of it before I can collect my thoughts.