Advanced A2 Discussion

Comments

• StrikeStrike Joined: Posts: 78
    Originally posted by TS
    How do you beat turtle Charlie with Rose?

How can you not? I don't see how Charlie's turtling would pose a threat to her. Tossing Sonic Booms from a distance, that's just free meter for her. Rose with excess meter = Illusions, that's like free chip or extreme damage whether he blocks or makes a mistake respectively. Out poke her? ROSE?!? Nothing in Charlie's arsenal will beat crouching MP. And he can't jump on her: crouching HP or Level 1 Throw will beat it always.

If Charlie's turtling, let him. Absorb his fireballs and retaliate accordingly when he's forced to approach.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Cool a A2 thread. I like me some A2 :) Someone start askin some questions so i can be unbored and answer stuff or somethin. Anyone wanna know Chun stuff /matchups??
    Gunter. I would have to say Sim isn't great in A2 also but he's definetly not bottom'ish, he's more around 6-7 in my oppinon but he does have certain matchups that are just horrid for him. but only high level play usualyl exploits his weaknesses. most people of average skill in A2 can't get around sims standard poke patterns,CC's and drill zoning. i found a pretty good ambigous crossup with him too. knockdown into crossup Rh drill , at the right height its 50/50 on blocking and if it connects is free combo into CC. By far the coolest thing about sim is hitting people with the level 3 jab overhead (hold jab for 3 seconds) or even better doing it in a cC and getting the CC victory flash for winning on it.
    I thought that Sodom was generally favored in his matchup against Gief.

The two main factors were:
    1. Strong scrape isnt duckable by gief
    and
    2. Butsumetsu Buster registers Sodom as off the ground, so Gief cannot SPD him while he is `hopping.`

As for Rose, she`s a lot more than just ducking strong, unless your name is David Sirlin. She has one of the best ACs in the game (especially against CCs thanks to her glitch), and lv. 1 illusions give her the best cross-up in the game and the best airdefense options in the game, as well as great chip. St. fwd is also good for footsies, and cr. rh has raaaange.
  • ShinRyuXShinRyuX Joined: Posts: 136
    The way Charlie can counter Rose's low strong is either kick AC or push CC after Rose misses....I think CCing her whiffed low strong is the key. Rose doesn't have too many ways to reverse AC except her soul spark super. How standing forward is resilient towards a lot of ground based kick ACs such as Ryu's and Charlie's because when she does her standing forward, she is off the ground(similiar to Birdie's low forward).

Rose can basically stand at Charlie's face and absord sonic booms or punch AC when Charlie sticks out something. Or she can just low strong when she wants to play conservative. If charlie jumps in, Rose can low fierce xx lv. 1 aura soul throw. Or push illusion and as Charlie jump in, do her slide so that Charlie lands on it then low fierce into roundhouse drill. Ouch?

Obviously, this is a fight where Rose is clearly at an advantage. There are some thing that Charlie can do.

1) CC her whiffed low strong. This is hard but this will greatly increase your chances. Or simply walk within her range and try to kick AC her. If Rose just sits there, Rose is probably waiting for a chance to punch AC.....a throw attempt might be useful at close range. You must try to beat the low strong which is difficult for Charlie.

2) Jump in with CC through her low fierce.

3) Sonic break super when you think Rose will try reflect so that she gets hit by 2nd sonic boom. If she ever misses a reflect in close range, CC her immediately.

4) kick AC her illusion powered drill on the last hit. then try for a cross up combo/cheap. if you do it too early, you will trade hits.

There is a kind of a glitch you can do with Rose. When someone customs you and you are blocking with Rose, you can punch AC the CC followed up by low strong, short drill. Afterwards....jump at them and do a jump in combo. If they were blocking the normal way, they will get hit. This is a trick. In order to block, you have block by holding forward. Of course, Rose can jump in and throw but her throw is pretty useless. If you ever get thrown by Rose, just tech it and it will do no damage.
  • StrikeStrike Joined: Posts: 78
    Jump in CC against anti-air works, but it works for everybody. And if I see a metered Charlie jump in on my Rose from a very punishable angle, it's most likely he's trying for an air CC blowthrough. No one jumps on Rose unless they're planning on CCing through her. She counters basically everything clean. There is ONE attack Charlie has that can beat her Level 1 Throw... but I think it only works if he's jumping away. I think it's his short, but I remember being extremely surpised when she didn't grab him.

On CCing a whiffed low strong, yeah, if you can do that, that's great. But you're window of opportunity to punish her is so miniscule, the risk might be a little too great to use. Bait a Soul Reflect and CC a missed one on reaction would be a safer and more reliable option.

I think Sonic Break is key against the vs. Rose fight for Charlie. It baits the reflect, and it's hard for her to jump over since you can delay it. Other than that, follow the advice above.
    ShinRyuX that rose glitch you were tryin to explain is applicable to everyone. What it is, is everytime you CC when you get knocked down out of the CC the character that was CC always gets up in the direction that they were running during CC. Its been around quite awhile and is actually something that happens quite often in high level play. When you punch AC with rose she is turning them around (away from you) then she'll usually ,lowstrong drill at which point its the perfect distance and timing for her to land a jump in combo as yer getting up. The person getting up must always block in the opposite direction. but outside of blocking you can try to get out of it with a wake up reversal. trick is you must do the wake up in the opposite direction also BUT it will do the reversal in the right direction to counter your opponent. Lots of mind games can be achieved with the stuff. cuz then u worry so much about blocking the right way she'll just jump in with nothing, then throw, or wait just a SPLIT second longer before going to combo which allows your character to turn back around correctly(getting up wrong way from CC only last first couple frames) then combos you the right way. its quite funny. Feels good when u actually guess right :) Also if people try to jump in CC you and overshoot you , sweep them from behind and they'll get up wrong way.

As far as Charlie using his AC's against low strong from rose, not worth it. Charlies AC's both have some of the worst start up time in the game. in fact i've personally seen rose low strong get AC'ed by charlies kick AC, she recovered before it hits her, she blocks it and AC's his AC.
    ONe good thing Charlie has going for him is his throw, HIs throw takes off the same amount of damage if teched,or not teched. I think Jef Pearlman was first to figure that out.
    Rose can just pressure charlie to death with the right ranged low forward slides which charlie can't hit after or else he eats AC or soul spark super. can't throw sonics cuz she can throw em back followed by more pressure, She has great crossup. too good anti air. Something else Omar does as anti air for style points is to hit them out the air With crouching fierce,2n1 that into friends, then activate CC and soul throw or combo.
    I'll post more crap later, MAX-OUT kRIS g.
  • arcticninjaarcticninja Butterfly in the sky Joined: Posts: 1,205
    while we're on the subject of Charlie....

I got owned by DreamTR's Chun-Li at MWC this year. What can Charlie do against her?

and Charlie owns Gief almost for free :D
    There is one character who can jump on Rose....Zangief. His forward double knee drop can beat Rose's anti air attempts. Her low fierce and I think her lv. 1 throw gets hit by it. Basically, Rose has to do something strange like jump up strong or fierce. I think the best Anti Rose character possibly could be E. Ryu. His blow out custom is really useful against Rose's low strong... Just my opinion.

Charlie almost owning Gief? hmm I don't know that matchup too well but I'm sure Gief can find a way to win. It's funny how normal gief gets owned by normal chuns or shotos but against highly trained giefs, he can surprisingly even things up. Hmm how would this match go.... I would imagine Gief will probably just hang back and charge up meter for awhile. He can avoid sonic boom by greenhand or lariat. Gief should just stick to the ground at this point. I'd imagine Charlie would have a hard time dealing with Gief's jump in, i.e. double knee drop on the way up, especially without charge. And if you do double knee drop then you can SPD him of course. I think Gief should slowly gain ground on Charlie and play footsies with him at close range just like against Shotos. Then jump on Charlie when you think he isn't expecting it or when he is sticking out a move. Even if Gief gets hit, he should keep jumping and try to figure out his opponent such as what makes them sweep or when he likes to sonic boom so Gief can jump in. Good Zangief players will mix up jump in CC, jump in with nothing SPD, knee drop into SPD. And don't forget his lv. 3 FAB. Of course you can try CC after knee drop but Gief can just block the whole thing and now you have zero meter and now you have no AC or CC to save you, muwahaha. It's an old but solid guessing game that makes Gief REALLY dangerous(particularly when he has a lv3). Charlie should be working extremely hard to keep Gief out so I don' think Charlie wins so easily. Actually, if I had choice btw. Gief or Charlie, I'd go with Gief.

Chun vs. Charlie is what you call a total mismatch. Charlie can't jump against Chun, he gets out projectiled, don't even compare CCs, and Chun li can jump in on Charlie when he sonic booms from fair distance without being punished. Basically Charlie is going to get owned even by a decent Chun li player. You can try forward shell kick to beat her ground moves and never jump on her. Against Chun, you should try to build up to level 3 so you can CC through her Kikoken. I cannot stress enough not to jump against Chun. She will keep you away with kikokens and if you do jump, just jump straight up or just block. You are going to lose if you keep jumping against her because she can and will counter you cleanly everytime by low roundhouse. If you want a good anti Chun(not really since she really has no bad matchup), try Ryu, Ken, Sodom, Rose. I've seen those characters do pretty well against her. I personally like playing Ryu against her. Other than these characters, Chun is pretty much unstoppable if you play her correctly. Of course you could play Chun vs Chun which is perfectly even but really :lame:
    Charlie vs. Gief at low levels is hilarious. Charlie can just sonic boom and s.forward as anti-air all day, and a stupid Gief won't know what to do about it.

High-level Giefs own Charlie for free, because only high-level Giefs know about j.strong, drop through SPD, and of course, knees.
    I'll have to take your word for it Gunter ;)

Do any of the moves you mentioned beat out Charlie's short somersault shell? Cause if so, then I see what you're talking about. Hopefully I can make it to Cali in the summer so I can see what high-level Gief is all about :)

and about Charlie vs. Gief at low-levels, I completely agree :D I perfected some guy's Gief at MWC with my Charlie :)

ShinRyuX: Thanks for the anti-chun advice :)

ok, I have another question now: how good is Evil Ryu? Last time I checked, he was allowed in tournaments. How does he compare to the other shotos? I tried using him in a tourney before with limited success, but I prefer using him over the other shotos.
    Why would Gief ever jump on a Charlie that is charged for a flash kick? I mean, I can understand doing it just to CC through, but during the course of a match, the only times Gief is jumping is when it's over a FB or after hypnotizing his opponent into thinking "only ground game". At that range, Gief will either trade or beat a flash kick. Gief should always be in his opponent's face, with s.short, s.forward, s.strong, c.fierce, etc. If he gets pushed back by FBs, he jumps over with j.strong and restarts the ground game. When his opponent starts to poke back, he jumps in for surprise knees and ticks into SPD. By this time there's absolutely no way Gief is without meter and he has the added bonus of "CC fear factor". Gief destroys Charlie in A2.
    Yeah i forgot about that jumping strong. It has a very long reach. Gief's best ground move is probably the s. forward and c. fierce. I know that Gief's s. strong can magically hit certain sweeps like ryu's low forward. With Gief, you should whiff a lot of normals. Not to poke but to charge up and as Gunter said to get in their face to annoy them and to distract them.

Gief can jump on Charlie when he's charged when he's too busy thinking about the ground or when he tosses a SB. I see now that Gief would totally own him. I just haven't seen this match up too often. I don't regard Charlie as a real threat since he has several mad matchups.

E. Ryu has few stuff that makes him really good. He has the dragon punch super like akuma's which does crazy damage and he can do juggle combos with his hurrican kick like Akuma. All his fireballs do knockdown no matter what strength. Normal Ryu can only score a knockdown after a fierce hadoken. No big deal since you're gonna use fierce fireballs at close range anyway. The biggest thing E. Ryu has to offer is his CC. It has this ability to blow someone out at anywhere on the screen. So landing CC with E. Ryu is a must. I would play E. Ryu if his strong dp wasn't multihit. I use that to counter CC or footsies with normal Ryu but E. Ryu's doesn't hit clean. To me, normal Ryu feels more solid although E. Ryu can do more damage. Normal Ryu has everything he needs to win so I choose him over E. Ryu. Omar would probably argue against this but I choose characters that I feel comfortable with. I pick different shotos for different matchups. For instance, against Chuns, Rose, I pick Ryu is probably best. Or characters like Rolento, Gief, I like to pick Ken or Sakura for various reasons. I think as in terms of fun factor, Ken is best hands down. Just watch people cry when he starts rolling after crossups or ticks for some wicked confusion tactics. :evil:
  • js2756js2756 Joined: Posts: 169
    I think that with E. ryu, you have to be slightly more careful than with regular Ryu. If I remember correctly, the damage that E. Ryu takes is comparable to the damage Akuma takes, so there is slightly less room for error because you'll take more damage than if you play with regular Ryu. The comboability of E. Ryu's hurricane kick is still not as good as Akuma's or Ken's though, I'm pretty sure that it will wiff on crouching opponents if you land a combo (eg. j. Rh, cr. Forward, hurricane kick), so A3 strategy applies a bit here: standing opponents finish with the hurricane kick, crouching, use fireball.
  • gutabogutabo Joined: Posts: 288
    Can't download the vid!!!!
    HELP!!!!
    ShinRyuX: It's not that Gief's j.strong has long reach, (I don't think it compares to his superman punch anyhow), it's the fact that Gief magically shrinks to the size of a peanut when you do it. It allows Gief to jump over projectiles much MUCH easier.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't charlie just anti-air CC Gief when he jumps on reaction? Prolly needs a high level, but I remember jumping booms, then eating fat CC. :(
    Yea Gief does win that match vs charlie imo. gief jump strong is a definite key to that matchup but also another one not mentioned i don't think is that far jumping fierce(not the splash) that move has great priority and reaches alot further then most people think. but yea like gunter was saying i believe. Giefs meter is 95% used for his CC and that other 5% is for kick Ac. The throw AC isn't really to great imo. only real real close and against moves with long hit stun is it reliable. Standing forwards,crouching fierce and standing shorts all part of the ground game i agree.

As far as E.ryu I think he's really good when you use his CC to its full advantage. Being really good at reaction CC to whiffed moves and or anticipating moves is key. Yes one big disadvantage is Strong uppercut doesn't knock down. from certain ranges, we used to think that wasn't SUCH a big deal but it really is. most times jab dp is a better use for knockdown attempts. As far as damage handicap yea he does have one but its not as bad as akumas for sure. Uppercut super really isn't to be used to much unless its in a combo at level 2 or 3 cuz combo into CC at level 1 can give u much more then combo into level 1 uppercut super.
    Eryus ability to Combo into CC is also another big advantage. Meaty into CC is cake with him even meaty crouching fierce can be linked into CC, outside of meaty he can combo CC off of crouching strong jabs or shorts, u can do things such as crossup,jab,short,crouch strong, link CC as a standard combo. Teleport is a plus at times.But also remember Player 2 E.ryu is> then p1 e.ryu cuz of the ability to go into corner combos and swith directions for additional juggling.
    Someone also mentioned something on the Rose/Gief fight and how it was mostly giefs advantage. I'd like to point u to the A2 discussion thread on Fighting games forum (prolly have to go few pages back) i posted quite a long response there to that fight. maybe i'll just cut/paste if i can find it. MAX-OUT kRIS g.
    what is Evil Ryu's CC?
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    isnt it just, c.rh, fp fireballs over and over...???

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
    "RESURECTION"

Somes alpha 2 questions

1. How do you roll backwards when doing the air recovery thing? I've done it a couple of times but cant work out how.

2. How does the invincibilty work on CC's. Are the invicibility frames immediately after you activate? Because a lot of the time I see a sweep coming out, activate and get hit out of the CC instantly. But If I activate earlier and there just in the first few frames of the sweep it goes straight through me and they eat a combo.

3. How does the damage work in a CC? Its seems that if you start with a sweep it does alot more damge then if you just start with a special. Why is this?

4. From talk in here it seems that Chun-Li is No. 1 but I have the videos from B3 and only a few people use her. Why is it so?

Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Kenstar
    "RESURECTION"

Somes alpha 2 questions

1. How do you roll backwards when doing the air recovery thing? I've done it a couple of times but cant work out how.
    Um Are you sure you are talking about A2 ? no air revovery in A2 only A3. Please don't mix up a great game like A2 with A3 garbage.
    2. How does the invincibilty work on CC's. Are the invicibility frames immediately after you activate? Because a lot of the time I see a sweep coming out, activate and get hit out of the CC instantly. But If I activate earlier and there just in the first few frames of the sweep it goes straight through me and they eat a combo.
    If you are anyone but evil ryu (his is full screen) you should be blowing out opponents normal moves when they are out on the screen causing you to be able to go into a CC ,Again seems like you might be talking about A3 VC's where they don't blow out moves
    3. How does the damage work in a CC? Its seems that if you start with a sweep it does alot more damge then if you just start with a special. Why is this?
    If you aren't getting good damage in a CC u again must be talking about A3. A2 CC's consist mostly of CC,Sweep,juggle with specials.
    4. From talk in here it seems that Chun-Li is No. 1 but I have the videos from B3 and only a few people use her. Why is it so?
    Chun isn't paticularly #1 but she is top tier meaning one of the top 4 or 5 characters in the game. Ryu,Ken,Chun,Rose are usually considered the top 4 in the game.
    Thanks for any help.
  • OMENOMEN Joined: Posts: 39
    nice thread

Not too much discussion about A2 anymore but nice to see. Although only a few of you guys seem to know what your talking about, I would love to get in some matches (for money or without) in the California area. I normally go to Family Fun Arcade in the Los Angeles area but I would travel to play someone who is exceptionally good. My arcade is the only one in the nation that still plays A2 competitively and holds tournaments so anyone interested can contact me on AIM (MrCali818) or just check the tournament and events regularly for the dates. We also are having a tournament the first week of next year for CvS2, MvC2, and ST. Peace.

Long live A2!:D
    nice thread
    Originally posted by OMEN
    I would love to get in some matches (for money or without) in the California area. I normally go to Family Fun Arcade in the Los Angeles area but I would travel to play someone who is exceptionally good.

Come to NorCal. Sirlin and I believe that A2 is the best SF ever. I'll play it over any other SF, anyday of the week. Only problem is, we can't find a quality board of it.... his is broken, and I sold mine to Thao years ago. Berkeley is the closest place with it that I know of...
    hey i'm game when i come to cali next year for Quals for japan. A2 is my favorite game also. I'm not too shaby at the game for someone who doesn't get to play as much as i'd like. Chun,Sak,E.ryu and Sim are my best i'd say. Wilson tells me all the time how much people play A2 at family fun. sounds like a god send to me. Must be nice. Maybe you guys can organize a tourney for the fri night 24th(my birthday i might plug too) or on 26th . 25th i'll prolly be at quals at camelot all day. Maybe we can get a A2 machine there too! I'll bring the board.
    I used to be so bomb in Alpha 2 back in the day. I used akuma and fucked up all these good players at my arcade, i usualy got like 30 wins or so. Brings back some funny memorys and shits. With akuma his air fireball usualy catches peeps off gaurd and then u and come in with his down hard kick or a ground fireball. His raging demon is hella tite too. Try this ud be suprised by how good it works~!
    *eyes gunter* um yea what he said...... hehe
    Yeh, no help there help there Maxtah

1. Air recovery= b,db,d in air after being hit. Sometimes I roll backwards when landing how?

2. A3 blows out moves easily there is a big invinsibility chunk of frames at the start. A2 just seems different Im not sure how it works which is my question.

3. I get huge damage on my CC's but it seems you do more damage when you sweep first then special x n . Slighty less when anti air special x n and less again when just straight out special x n. Is this right??

Is there any James Chen sorta in depth guide anywhere on A2?
    I'll try to help you Kenstar, someone else can probably elaborate a bit better though..

1. were you using Sodom? AFAIK He is the only one that can roll backwards.

2. I can remmber complaining about this a while back. I don't really understand it myself. One thing to remember is that the more level = more invincibility. EX: It's hard to go walk thru FB's at lvl1, insanely easy at lvl3. Another thing is that you kinda lose it when you hit a button (i think?) Try waiting for the attack to pass through you (by ducking) or walk through it, then attack.

When you activate, it advances frames. So sometimes you see the attack (let's say a sweep) totally animate when you actiavte (whiffing), so you're in the clear. It's the times when their attack is fully extended that it gets iffy.

EX: you activate, and during the "SHWING!" you see your opponent's d.forward fully extended inside your character. This usually means you'll get hit. But sometimes you can just sweep away anyhow and still hit them. Probably has something to do with the amount of super meter you have. But maybe it also has to do with timing? anyhow, this is why you poke with high priority attacks (rose low strong argh) that stay out a bit to defend against CCs.

But if you catch them when ytheir attack is just starting to come out, you got em.. hehe.

3. I dunno, basic rule is that you want to be juggling them somehow. I don't see anti-air CCs being that much less damaging though. Any examples you can give?

hope that helps.
  • chun_li1chun_li1 Joined: Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Gunter

Traditionally, the top tier is known as "The (Big) Four" -

Ryu
    Ken
    Chun Li
    Rose

Most people put Zangief in the second tier, but other than him it's debateable.

Dan is considered 2nd worst in the game, better than only Birdie. I however am willing to prove everyone wrong about that. I think Dhalsim is pretty shitty in A2, and Dan is somewhere closer to mid-tier.

huh, I thought Rolento would be among top tiers in a2? he has a good AA, hard to AC his low strong, damaging CC and best (and only) run away game.

Also, I think his Kick AC into CC is dangerous.

And Rolento can charge the fastest in a2. qcb + p, his back roll, is too good for meter building.

chun_li1
    Space Nazis Incoming : http://www.ironsky.net/
    a little off-topic, but i was wondering how sfa2 gold from sf collection 2 on ps1 stands up to the arcade original

also as fans of sfa2 you may or may not care but capcom just started selling posters for sfa2 again at their website
  • SaBrESaBrE BAI BAI Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    alpha2gold is a terrible terrible game. only cool thing was the color chemes in the presentation lol...
    AZ fighting game crew, team hAZmat

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
    yeah, i figured as much, i kinda remember it being different in the arcade but it had been so long

is regular sfa2 for ps1 much better? i don't have that game but i might be willing to look for a used copy if it's worth it.
    eh, ps1 a2 is a pretty bad port IMO, but if its your only choice, im sure itll do. its missing a lot of animations which messes a lot up. more slowdown, long loadtimes compared to saturn and other various crap.

if you have a saturn, i would highly recommend that version, other than a couple of sound effect issues like rose c.strong sound, the game is the best non-naomi capcom port they've done yet. load times are bearable, all animations are intact, everything in the arcade works. just gotta beef up the speed to turbo 3 since its slower than arcade.

or just get an emulator or the cps2 board and play the real thing

anyway, hope that helps.

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • Ryu1999Ryu1999 Keyboard Warrior Joined: Posts: 838
    Originally posted by SaBrE
    alpha2gold is a terrible terrible game. only cool thing was the color chemes in the presentation lol...

just curious, did they fix the colors fot the CE chars in sfa2gold. cause i remember sfz2a (which sfa2 gold is based off of, no?) had weird CE colors. esepcially for ryu, who was basically just a brown color scheme instead of the off-white, red headband getup we're so used to. however i saw a screencapture of him with those colors, and i figured it was from sfa2 gold...answers?
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:25 PM): dammit i need toilet paper, we're all out
    Me (10:27:36 PM): backed up to all get out?
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:40 PM): so i'll shit then shower
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:46 PM): then shave
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:48 PM): brb in a bit
    This could of already been mentioned, but I'm way too lazy to look, so cut me some slack and just answer the question:

What's the differences between SFA2 and SFA2 Gold?
    I think I know some..

A2G has:
    Cammy (whee)
    CCs are done with fierce+rh
    ACs take a meter and a half to do?
    and I think I've heard people complain about priorities being messed with. >shrugs<

Might as well play the original if you have it..

I've got a question about ACs. Are there any ACs besides Rose's that allow you to combo afterwards? Sometimes I notice they hit funny and leave the opponent standing.. If not, what are some nasty things you can do with Rose's AC after you connect it? CC perhaps? Something nasty with the shadows?
  • OverdriveOverdrive aka Evirdrevo Joined: Posts: 13
    I'd agree that A2 is probably the only enjoyable SF game left. But it has its problems as well. My biggest gripe is that shotos (except Akuma) are just brain-dead easy to play. Chun and Rose are obviously very good, but you have to know what you're doing to make them go. The shotos... anybody can just pick up and go with them.

However, probably the best thing about A2, at least for me, is meter management. Other than MvC2 and CvS2, where you have multiple characters or whatever, there really is no other SF game with as much depth just in the super bar. You have 3 weapons from the super bar, all of which are extremely useful. This depth opens up a whole subgame of keeping track of your opponent's meter as well as yours.
    Originally posted by marvelscrub
    I'll try to help you Kenstar, someone else can probably elaborate a bit better though..

1. were you using Sodom? AFAIK He is the only one that can roll backwards.

2. It's the times when their attack is fully extended that it gets iffy.

3. I dunno, basic rule is that you want to be juggling them somehow. I don't see anti-air CCs being that much less damaging though. Any examples you can give?

hope that helps.

Very late reply but thanks marvelscrub that clears up a few things.
    I think I've worked out the backwards roll thing. From what I can gather its when you air recovery roll after getting hit out of an attempted crossup. The computer thinks your facing the other way so you roll away from your opponent instead of towards. It doesn't happen all the time though, its pretty rare.

Im gonna try and work out the damage difference between sweep, anti air and just straight out special today. Its a bit tricky though since the saturn doesn't give damage levels. I report my results soon.
  • Ryu1999Ryu1999 Keyboard Warrior Joined: Posts: 838
    Originally posted by Overdrive
    Chun and Rose are obviously very good, but you have to know what you're doing to make them go. The shotos... anybody can just pick up and go with them.

i disagree. chun-li is probably more brain dead than any you give her credit for...i mean its pretty easy to bait a intermediate shoto player, but chun-li is so low risk high reward...its ridiculous. i am talking about below expert-level play btw. the bufferability of cr. mk just makes her a borderline scrub char
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:25 PM): dammit i need toilet paper, we're all out
    Me (10:27:36 PM): backed up to all get out?
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:40 PM): so i'll shit then shower
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:46 PM): then shave
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:48 PM): brb in a bit
    Um its all about Paintball now but i'll jump in here quick and just state as a former avid chun player of A2 days, chun in early A2 era was great but as months,years past she wasn't so powerful when anti chun techniques became the standard. She has about 10 things that are more useful then low forward fb and more practical. For one low forward,Fb from anywhere but up close is suicide since u can pretty much Reversal CC through the fb and get big time damage, or reversal super ect will beat a long low forward, fb. Yea if a scrub is playign he's gonna sit there and keep blocking but we're talkin expert level play i think? Besides Stand short,Fb is more effective and longer range then low forward. Best thing about Chun is her CC. Always has been always will be. rh,rh,rh,rh, up+rh is a killer weapon to have at yer disposal.BUT that just didn't cut it after first year of A2. Not many players can really play chun effectively in high level play. You'll notice more ryu,kens then u will chun.Ok now that i wrote all this i dunno what the hell the post was about anymore and i really don't care enough to hit the back button so i will close out this random babble. cya
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Originally posted by SaBrE

How bout the SNES version :p

btw, I was looking for some Rolento and Dhalsim tips or combos. Anyone?
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • ramberkramberk Poneley Fighting Master Joined: Posts: 547
    Any serious A2 Bison players here. Yeah, quit laughing. He's my favorite in A2. Well anyway, anyone here have any special Bison strategies or tricks?

How I play Bison?

Poke, poke, poke, turtle, turtle, turtle. Standing MK all day long, with a long distance crouch roundhouse sometimes. Crouching/standing MP sometimes. Fireball is great if you know when to use it! (Spacing, Bison must be the king of space.)

"Why do you turtle so much? Quit turtling!"

My Bison "Rush Down" is:
    Jump in LK all day long, land and crouch LK, stand LK (repeat from the jump in LK). Foot stomp sometimes, hand stomp sometimes. Jumping up forward or roundhouse. Air throw sometimes. (always charging.) Fireball sometimes. Pin them. Walk up and throw.

Missed a kneepress nightmare? THROW RIGHT AFTERWARDS.

Coolest thing? Once cancelled a standing roundhouse into a kneepress nightmare!

And don't play Rose, Chun or Sakura. But everyone else is fair game!
    MAS stick for sale (8/2011). PM if interested.
    Finding A2 tournaments where I live is almost impossible. IMO, I think A2 is the best SF ever. I hear Texas Showdown is going to have alpha 2. any of the surviving alpha 2 fans going to Texas to play?
    I've just started to play Chun Li and Im trying to work out a solid anti air system. There seems to be alot of different options but nothing is as solid as the good old DP which im used too. So what do you Chun players use and at what distance?
  • Spirited_AwaySpirited_Away Joined: Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I've just started to play Chun Li and Im trying to work out a solid anti air system. There seems to be alot of different options but nothing is as solid as the good old DP which im used too. So what do you Chun players use and at what distance?

Try the standing/crouching rounhouse it does wonders, if want something more like a special move anti air use her triple kick (short version is invincible, super is very good). Chunli is actually an anti-air power-house I'm puzzle why you think she doesn't have solid anti air, personally all her anti-air moves are higher priority than any other character in the game.
    I generally use standing roundhouse when the opponent is gonna land right on top of me or if there going for a crossup. That seems to work fine aslong as they are deep enough on me, it has hardly any horizontal range. She is extremely quick and I can often walk under them and use standing roundhouse when there not deep enough on me. But its the normal sort of jump in I cant find the best option. I havn't tried out crouching roundhouse much I'll see how it goes from memory it seems to trade a lot when I use it. The special triple kick I really dont like but I've never tried it using the short version that may work better.
    This is A2.. have you tried CC or AC for anti-air? :p

I think i remember walk under, s.strong might be ok against cross ups.

What about Adon in this game? His specials seem to be CC fodder, but he does have a crazy low strong, and a fat CC (who doesn't tho i guess). Is he better in this game than A3?
    he is stronger in a2 than a3. its kinda hard to say tho cuz a3's dynamics are totally different than a2. completely different games. but yeah, i think he does better in a2

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
    adon CC = death. that is his whole strategy. he has good normals and should refrain from using a lot of jaguar kicks. low strong, overhead, low roundhouse, standing roundhouse, d/b+forward should be your main weapons. he's very good at zoning and feels sort of like rolento because adon likes to stick to his normals until his CC is ready. once you get a lv3, try to land low roundhouse into short jaguar kicks and finish with a jaguar knee. the damage is just plain sick.
    Originally posted by ramberk
    Any serious A2 Bison players here. Yeah, quit laughing. He's my favorite in A2. Well anyway, anyone here have any special Bison strategies or tricks?

How I play Bison?

Poke, poke, poke, turtle, turtle, turtle. Standing MK all day long, with a long distance crouch roundhouse sometimes. Crouching/standing MP sometimes. Fireball is great if you know when to use it! (Spacing, Bison must be the king of space.)

"Why do you turtle so much? Quit turtling!"

My Bison "Rush Down" is:
    Jump in LK all day long, land and crouch LK, stand LK (repeat from the jump in LK). Foot stomp sometimes, hand stomp sometimes. Jumping up forward or roundhouse. Air throw sometimes. (always charging.) Fireball sometimes. Pin them. Walk up and throw.

Missed a kneepress nightmare? THROW RIGHT AFTERWARDS.

Coolest thing? Once cancelled a standing roundhouse into a kneepress nightmare!

And don't play Rose, Chun or Sakura. But everyone else is fair game!

Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Rose will just eat up bison. Here's why I think he has such problems in that game. ALL of his normals like standing forward gets BEAT by low strongs. Those four characters can just beat all his normals. Add fireball to the face while he stalls and AC his headstomps etc. and Bison is pretty much a sitting duck. For real. This also works on Birdie since you can low strong EVERYTHING. Not just Rose has a good crouching MP. Still, Bison's pretty decent despite this weakness. I think Bison does pretty decent against Sakura since she has a hard time with his pindown but Sak's got her crossup and better CC. Bison's CCs are really sad too because they don't do much damage.
  • mr.hadokenmr.hadoken Old School Style For You Joined: Posts: 621

Jump towards forward or fierce, standing fierce, standing forward, low roundhouse.
    Good hit...but not enough power.