Ryu Thread

Comments

• shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503
    how would go about doing c.mp, c.mk, super?

since you have to have empty buffer the first qcf after the c.mp, it seems like its possible to negative edge a fireball on accident because of the link timing. I'm thinking that you would probably have to do something like:

c.mp and hold, qcf, d+mk, dfwd, fwd+ release p for negative edge version?

I read on the ST wiki that ryu's c.lk, c.lk, super even when perfectly time doesn't work 100% of the time. Is it even worth trying w\ those circumstances?

is close s.lk, c.lk, super a more consistent method for doing his short short super?
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
  • wakeupsweepwakeupsweep Joined: Posts: 124
    is close s.lk, c.lk, super a more consistent method for doing his short short super?
    No, it isn't.
  • R-JiveR-Jive adoket Joined: Posts: 220
    Can anyone tell me how you s.HP xx Super ? I've seen it done but I've no idea on how it's done.
  • ShinVegaShinVega Shoryuken'n est. 92' Joined: Posts: 191
    :tup:I posted it somewhere else in this forum, but I can't remember where so I'll just explain it again. In order to cancel a s.Fierce into Ryu's super you have to have failry quick input. The motion is dn, dn/twd, twd, (pause), s.Fierce, dn, dn/twd, twd+P. This does work (you have to do it this way with ken in order to score a 7 hit instead of 6 hit combo b/c a c.fierce won't be confirmed). Anyways the hardest thing is the pause. You need to pause for just a few frames so that a hadouken doesn't come out. It gets easier with a lot of practice, just like most everything in life. Post again if that's not clear enough.
    No freely available material is allowed on this site, no exceptions. - ptp
    SF2 Code v1.0: t s+ T++ r f++ g+ m+ s+ v++ M++ n++:-- o++
  • R-JiveR-Jive adoket Joined: Posts: 220
    Thanks ! can't seem to pull it off yet though, I get a s.HP into FB or into DP, seems I'm doing it too slow or missing the timing.

It's way easier to cancel from c.MK into super or from c.HP into super. IMO
  • wakeupsweepwakeupsweep Joined: Posts: 124
    No, it isn't.
    I just noticed what I wrote time ago (probably at 4 am or something). While it's still possible for the super to miss, st.short, cr.short xx super is pretty reliable, and I've had it done to me before, if anyone's wondering.
  • BaSiK_TeKniKBaSiK_TeKniK Joined: Posts: 1,365
    question which color Ryu is good for a beginner?
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod

Smart players, beginners and pros alike, choose Sherbert (Orange) :tup:
  • bitkidbitkid BiTKiD Joined: Posts: 685

No, most newbs should harness the Turtle Power lime green Ryu for best results.
    Dat shit's hoopz n yo-yos dawg!
  • COUMCOUM COUM Joined: Posts: 442
    I know about the piano but I don't like the fact that mp\fp DP's have horrible recovery.

What does it matter? If Gief blocks your DP you're getting tossed no matter which strength you did.

On the topic of close st.Fierce xx Super; I've never managed to do it, but I've had it landed on me off a crossup in a match...:confused: it's not fun.
  • OmegaDL50OmegaDL50 Gaming since 1986 Joined: Posts: 379
    I've been trying to improve my ground game lately (some really damn good players on Kaillera are telling me not to jump)

So I'm trying to learn myself out of jumping on instinct to chain bread and butter jump-ins which I go for alot of Jump in HK, crouching MK two into one into Shakunetsu Hadouken for knockdown.

This only seems to be effective when the opponents dizzy.

So someones been teaching me a low-high mix up

That utilizes to use F+MK overhead into crouching HK for an easy 3-hit knockdown combo, then do cross up HK into standing MP two in one LP shoryuken.

Most of the time during my cross up attempt the opponent backs away leaving me wide open for an anti-air.

So I'm think of brushing up on my long distance game, Is it possible to link overhead F+MP into crouching MK canceled into Shakunetsu / Shinkuu Hadouken to push opponents away to get optimal distance to start a Hadouken trap?

I'm trying to get better with Ryu and he is my main, I've learned the F+MP overhead into HK sweep from the Wiki, I figure if anyone has any more extensive strategies for me to try, Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
  • MurderbydeathMurderbydeath Joined: Posts: 906
    I've been trying to improve my ground game lately (some really damn good players on Kaillera are telling me not to jump)

So I'm trying to learn myself out of jumping on instinct to chain bread and butter jump-ins which I go for alot of Jump in HK, crouching MK two into one into Shakunetsu Hadouken for knockdown.

This only seems to be effective when the opponents dizzy.

So someones been teaching me a low-high mix up

That utilizes to use F+MK overhead into crouching HK for an easy 3-hit knockdown combo, then do cross up HK into standing MP two in one LP shoryuken.

Most of the time during my cross up attempt the opponent backs away leaving me wide open for an anti-air.

So I'm think of brushing up on my long distance game, Is it possible to link overhead F+MP into crouching MK canceled into Shakunetsu / Shinkuu Hadouken to push opponents away to get optimal distance to start a Hadouken trap?

I'm trying to get better with Ryu and he is my main, I've learned the F+MP overhead into HK sweep from the Wiki, I figure if anyone has any more extensive strategies for me to try, Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of my favorite bread and butter combos are late j.fierce, st.fierce xx hadoken

j.jab, st.fierce xx hadoken
    j.fwd, cr.fwd xx hurricane kick

Also, you shouldn't be crossing up if you have to cover that much ground to your opponent, especially if they're standing. If they're getting back up, I like to short hurricane kick towards them then j.hurricane crossup...You have to be just the perfect distance away from them in my experience though.

But I'm a scrub, so I dunno.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hey guys. I hope this is the right place to post this. I've recently started playing after being away from the game for quite a while. I've spent the last week in training mode practicing Ryu's moves, and am comfortable with everything except the Shoryuken. I cannot do this move, my completion rate is about 3%.
    Anyone else have trouble with this when they started out? I've spent hours practicing this, and don't seem to be improving. Is it a matter of persistence?

Any tips would be mostly appreciated. BTW, I'm using a shitty ps2 controller.
  • CapMasterCapMaster OG Pad Player Joined: Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey guys. I hope this is the right place to post this. I've recently started playing after being away from the game for quite a while. I've spent the last week in training mode practicing Ryu's moves, and am comfortable with everything except the Shoryuken. I cannot do this move, my completion rate is about 3%.
    Anyone else have trouble with this when they started out? I've spent hours practicing this, and don't seem to be improving. Is it a matter of persistence?

Any tips would be mostly appreciated. BTW, I'm using a shitty ps2 controller.

Shitty PS2 controller? Nonsense. I play with the PS2 controller.

Just practice it. Make sure you're hitting all 3 points (forward, down, down-forward) and make sure you're hitting the punch button as you come to down-forward. When you're inputting the commands think of it..Kind of like the letter Z as to how you should move your thumb/hands.
    Reborn ST hustler.
    2009 Gamestop Regional Champion
    some things you can try

i'm mostly a ryu player, and here are some tricks i use:

upon a knockdown: crossup j.roundhouse, lk hurricane kick over them, and throw. most of the time people block low so you can hurricane kick over them. just something different to do. let's you keep a little distance for more hadokens, whether they tech it or not

meaty c.forward to either c.stong/c.forward + hadoken: good to use to challenge someone's reversal dp: if they don't time it well, they will get stuffed. if you know they are going to dp, it might be better to just back up when they wake up and let them whiff(this is more for shoto vs shoto)

vs. guile: if i play a guile, and he likes to jump, use s.roundhouse as much as you can: it beats or trades with his jumping attacks and keeps him away. it's a lot more convenient than using a dp. i have way more trouble with guiles that don't jump, and out do my hadokens w/ toward+fierce(his superior s.boom recovery time). if you're going to jump-in as guile, don't kick if you are in ryu's dp range unless you're sure he can't dp you. just empty jump-in and stay close and pressure.

vs. gief: make sure you take advantage of c.short, so you don't let him own you in footsies all day. use your dp's wisely or get spded and killed.

and sometimes, walk-up throw wins matches for me. that's probably my fav way to win when its a close match.
  • yatesyates RandomDragonPunches Joined: Posts: 66
    Killajules: You want to be a dp master?

When you're practicing, never do the same thing more than twice. eg - don't just dp over and over.

You'll want to incorporate this shit:

advancing dp - dp while walking forward
    retreating dp - dp while walking backwards
    crouching dp - dp from crouch
    footsie dp - dp while moving around, no matter what situation you're in

Just start mixing it up. At first, you'll probably want to He-Man it (put a little bit of force; not tension, into the motion). After a while of doing it like that, without thinking about your input, it will "break in" so to speak.

Practicing your dp like this will make it easier to dp out of tick throws, dp through fireball traps, dp through cr.rh fireball, dp jumps on reaction, reversal dp on reaction...etc.

-randomdps
    "I'm ALWAYS jacking off on GGPO." - dreamfire -
    I use a ps2 controller and I have a harder time doing DP's from the right side. I figured out it's because of the way I hold my thumb on the d-pad. I don't have it straight on there, but rather pointed up-right. Trying to correct myself but it's hard to change.
    ... snip...
    ... snip...

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been practicing quite a bit, and am getting the hang of it. It seems I need to do the input a lot faster than other special moves.
    Yates; I will practice all these things. I was just dping over and over, and it gets a bit boring (after like 600 dps :rofl:).
    Thanks again :smile:

Another question... I am currently unable to play against any human players. Will I be able to learn and use some basic strategies playing against the PS2? Or would it be preferable to set up some sort of multiplayer so i can fight other beginners.
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    I am currently unable to play against any human players. Will I be able to learn and use some basic strategies playing against the PS2? Or would it be preferable to set up some sort of multiplayer so i can fight other beginners.

You've got PM!
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • bl4rg3sbl4rg3s babe Joined: Posts: 128
    great thread and great tips
    it's good to review some old/lost information before HD remix comes out
    so long to this salt soaked part of the world
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,292
    Sorry if this is old, but I just recently stumbled upon it and thought it might generate some discussion

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyLovRsm5zA&feature=related
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • BigJonStud12BigJonStud12 Great Stick of DOOM Joined: Posts: 97
    Sorry if this is old, but I just recently stumbled upon it and thought it might generate some discussion

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyLovRsm5zA&feature=related

Those are some awesome combos that the person did. Though, the person could have been punished on one or two of those dragon punches. However, I know that the person threw them because of anticipation that the cpu was going to jump in. Not only that, they made sure that it was the weak dragon punch, so there was a very, very small window that was punishable.
    "Luck is for idiots."

- Dr. Doom
    DOOM #3
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,292
    Can someone talk about the Ryu vs DeeJay match up? Seems like all DeeJay has to do is just hold db the entire match and wait for you to jump...

Also, what kinds of options does Ryu have when he is up close?
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • BigJonStud12BigJonStud12 Great Stick of DOOM Joined: Posts: 97
    Can someone talk about the Ryu vs DeeJay match up? Seems like all DeeJay has to do is just hold db the entire match and wait for you to jump...

Also, what kinds of options does Ryu have when he is up close?

Here is a video that has Gotoh's Ryu against TZW's DeeJay. Though, the actual match won't take place until its 2:15 in the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jKvkR4Okldw

While DeeJay can just hold db, it would be ineffective against a smart Ryu player. If you watch the video, notice how Gotoh keeps it to the ground by using the hadoken's as a poking tool to move in close. However, DeeJay can do the same with his fireballs, so it is imperative that you gain the momentum first. In fact, Gotoh rarely jumps in. As for options in close, continue with the poking game. Poke your heart out, but also keep it on the ground. Force the DeeJay player to do something, and then punish them. Use bread and butter combos, with the weak hadoken as a finisher. That way, you will have the necessary time to implement counter measures. If the DeeJay player justs keep blocking, then just tick throw him.
    "Luck is for idiots."

- Dr. Doom
    DOOM #3
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    Gotoh gets into the air only 4 times that entire match and no times the whole first round, and 2 of those 4 times it was just for air hurricane kicking away and then again when DeeJay was on the ground to jump closer for better positioning (maybe a messed up air hurricane kick, cause he jumps with short). That's some awesome play from Gotoh right there.
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    Naw dude, that's for sure the official scrub colour. :wgrin:
    (Using default configuration, Short is the same as the "Yes" or "Ok" button on Xbox, Playstation, and Dreamcast.)

Can anyone tell me how to combo cr.LK, cr.LK xx Super? I swear there was a way to do it but I can't remember what it was or where I read it.
    I'm shamelessly bumping my ^ previous question ^ and adding another...

Is there any big secret I'm missing to sweeping an opponent's forward jumps? I feel like every time I attempt this they hit me as they come down. I assume it's just a matter of having better spacing but I was hoping someone could confirm for me that there aren't any tricks of which I'm unaware.
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod
    Naw dude, that's for sure the official scrub colour. :wgrin:

Well, I do play a pretty scrubby Ryu, so maybe you're onto something there. Still, I'm all about Sherbert :wgrin:
    Is there any big secret I'm missing to sweeping an opponent's forward jumps? I feel like every time I attempt this they hit me as they come down. I assume it's just a matter of having better spacing but I was hoping someone could confirm for me that there aren't any tricks of which I'm unaware.

It's spacing and timing. The hitbox for Ryu's cr.HK sticks out really far. It goes a little bit past his foot. Around the ankle/heel you can get hit though. So, you want them to land on the tip of your foot or just past it. Also, cr.HK only hits for 6 frames. It has 4 startup, 6 hitting, and 25 recovery. So, if you throw it out too early you'll probably get nailed. My guess is that the timing is screwing you up more than the spacing. Oh, one more tip, crouch while they're in the air so you have a larger window to play with as to when you throw the move out.

I'm not all that great at doing this myself with shotos, but I hope that helps :wgrin:
    The blind leading the blind... :rofl:
    But seriously, thanks a ton for the response, man. I actually made it work for myself a few times on GGPO tonight!

I think I just answered my own question about the crouching short x2 into Shinkuu combo: it was in the Wiki after all. I guess I couldn't find it again because I was hunting for Ryu-specific stuff.
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,746
    Sherbert? Coulda swore it was mango...
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi
  • Homer PimpsonHomer Pimpson Questionable Joined: Posts: 1,179

off topic and I apologize, but this really made me lol :sweat:
    GGPO: MrSimpson
  • stanskistanski Joined: Posts: 43
    I have a simple question about ryu's reversal shoryuken, I was having problems getting it out against a honda player who would go for crossup buttslams, and i just want to confirm it was me sucking and not something else. Do you need to input the shoryuken motion towards the crossup attempt or if he ends up on the other side do you need to input it the other direction?
  • Josh-TheFunkDOCJosh-TheFunkDOC Double Dutch! Joined: Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    If he jumps over you, you need to switch sides with the move as well.

Since you're using Ryu, you can do the piano input with all 3 punches when trying a reversal DP. That's very helpful...until the opponent learns the timing to perform safe jump-ins as you get up. But definitely keep it in mind vs. tick throws, etc.
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-speedrunning - My live stream, mainly speedruns w/ some other stuff now and then
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for the nub question, but i'm trying to understand this combo:

meaty cl.mk, cr.mk xx hadouken

I know what a meaty and a MK is, but what is the cl notation?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for the nub question, but i'm trying to understand this combo:

meaty cl.mk, cr.mk xx hadouken

I know what a meaty and a MK is, but what is the cl notation?

Thanks in advance!

close
    Ah, thx. lol.
  • brianbrian Joined: Posts: 765
    I have a really hard time playing ryu against fireball characters, and I think the reason is because I dont know what to do when my opponent jumps from outside my dragon punch range.

I feel like the mixup of jump roundhouse vs low roundhouse is not in my favor, cause the jump roundhouse almost always trades, and the sweep sometimes just plain loses alot.

suggestions?

If you want specific matchups, then take the mirror, and vs Guile.
  • ChrisisChrisis Follows her path Joined: Posts: 7,684
    Practice your ranges, I play more CE than ST, but if you position yourself right and can see the attack they are doing crouching roundhouse will always win (except against stuff with weird hit boxes like blanka's jumping fierce >.>)
    Isis is something shiny that likes water.
  • brianbrian Joined: Posts: 765
    Practice your ranges, I play more CE than ST, but if you position yourself right and can see the attack they are doing crouching roundhouse will always win (except against stuff with weird hit boxes like blanka's jumping fierce >.>)

Really, so in the mirror, crouching roundhouse is a guaranteed anti air from the right range?

It definitely isnt against Guile.
  • BattosaiBattosai Joined: Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Really, so in the mirror, crouching roundhouse is a guaranteed anti air from the right range?

It definitely isnt against Guile.

If Guile does a jumping roundhouse or jumping forward kick you can cleanly counter it by using crouch strong punch with Ryu, and sometimes straight arm s.fierce.