Unpopular gaming opinions SECOND IMPACT

Comments

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,805
    edited July 13
    if by chess you mean where a simulated random number determines if you actually hit, then sure. Thats actually how a lot of turn based games work, even D&D (dice).
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    That can happen in games with real time combat. The original Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol had that problem.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    if by chess you mean where a simulated random number determines if you actually hit, then sure. Thats actually how a lot of turn based games work, even D&D (dice).

That's one of the reasons I really liked Front Mission. It was turn based but since many weapons had 8 shots or more it was relatively representative of actual variables in combat. Not that it was striving for realism or anything, but it was cool nonetheless. Way better than XCOM is, that's for sure. I swear the percentages in that game are fucking lies
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Gambling Wolf Joined: Posts: 3,116
    turn based combat is kinda stupid imo. I'd rather real ai where you need to actually be good with strategy and execution. ive always kinda hated jrpgs for this reason even back in the ps1 days.

The type where it's two static sides on opposite ends of the screen, FF/DQ style? Sure, that sucks. Persona's is one of the few games of that type where that combat doesn't suck, and even then there dungeon crawling is the worst part of the game.

The type where you move characters around in an actual space, e.g. XCOM, Divinity OS, or Trails? Those are great, and actually have strategy involved due to dealing with positioning and the environment and other elements.

It sucks that "turn based combat" always gets talked about in terms of the former, shittier type.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,805
    The one type of turn based combat i kind of liked was actually FF tactics advanced. Thats actually the only ff game i like and yeah the strategy is deeper there because positioning is really important and isnt just dice rolling and turn taking.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 14
    The one type of turn based combat i kind of liked was actually FF tactics advanced. Thats actually the only ff game i like and yeah the strategy is deeper there because positioning is really important and isnt just dice rolling and turn taking.

Check out the other FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, the aforementioned Front Mission (3 or above IMO), and Stella Deus if you like SRPGs

Edit: I haven't played it yet but Banner Saga is supposed to be real good too.
    Divinity Original Sin is the crown jewel of turn-based combat. Status effects and buffs are useful and in fact highly important; you can interact with the environment in so many ways; you're constantly using a diverse array of interesting skills instead of simple "Attack" commands; party synergy and skill combinations are important; there's unit positioning; etc. And each combat encounter is unique and you can never get by sleepwalking your way through them.

On a slightly related note, if a battle system feels the need to let you fast-forward it or skip it entirely, then it's not a good battle system.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,785
    Divinity is fairly poorly designed in a sense. It works fine if you're set up a certain way to abuse the mechanics but if you're not it can be impossibly difficult. A lot of it's appeal is that it doesn't hold your hand but the game can feel unplayable if you don't have enough elemental wizards and arrows to manipulate everything. You can't run in and smack stuff in it but the game presents that to you as an option, it's not like Magika where you only play a wizard.

RNG hurts turn based​ gameplay but without it it's​ too predetermined. At the same time though even in real-time games unless you're playing against a player the A.I is also going to do random things that can affect the outcome.

Overall turn-based strategy is good, I really enjoy it, the reason I don't enjoy most JRPG combat is it doesn't actually feel like there's any strategy involved or it's very basic cast protection spell when boss charges big attack type stuff.
    edited July 14
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Divinity is fairly poorly designed in a sense. It works fine if you're set up a certain way to abuse the mechanics but if you're not it can be impossibly difficult. A lot of it's appeal is that it doesn't hold your hand but the game can feel unplayable if you don't have enough elemental wizards and arrows to manipulate everything. You can't run in and smack stuff in it but the game presents that to you as an option, it's not like Magika where you only play a wizard.

So it's poorly designed in that it expects you to build a balanced party, focus on strengthening yourself and debilitating your foes, and approach fights in a way that accounts for your surroundings, instead of just charging in head first and expecting to win? Okay, lol. And it's not like physical fighters are lacking in useful skills.

RNG hurts turn based​ gameplay but without it it's​ too predetermined. At the same time though even in real-time games unless you're playing against a player the A.I is also going to do random things that can affect the outcome.

Invisible Inc shows that you can have a turn based strategy game where your actions have consistent effects with no dice rolls, and still have a highly tactical experience. All of the RNG is instead delegated to the procedurally generated maps.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    edited July 14
    Invisible Inc shows that you can have a turn based strategy game where your actions have consistent effects with no dice rolls, and still have a highly tactical experience. All of the RNG is instead delegated to the procedurally generated maps.
    Eeew yuck.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited July 14
    Eeew yuck.

The procedural generation algorithm in Invisible is amazing, and good at providing you with a lot of tactical options. You won't know beforehand what's in each safe, where the guards will be, what agent you'll be rescuing if you're on a rescue mission, etc. It throws all these variables at you regarding the playing field, but let's you make meaningful choice by making none of your actions random. The guards may never dodge your attacks, but you can't dodge theirs, either. It's made me really think about the role of RNG in tactics games. Plus you can have a different experience with the game every run you play.

(Also from a context perspective, you're a spy agency on the run and with almost no resources, so expecting to have a completely detailed layout of each map from the start is asking too much.)
    edited July 14
    All of that makes me think "Ewww, gross."

I have yet to see a single procedural level system that wasn't fucking balls. People say it gives you a new experience each time it really doesn't. It's just the same bullshit re-arranged, and it almost never builds itself in a well thought manner. It's just random shit recycled randomly over and over.

Haven't played Divinity so maybe it's the game that gets it right but I really doubt it would change my mind. That's not to say I don't like games with procedural generation in them, I really like Galak-Z for example, but I'd love Galak-Z even more if it had well crafted levels with lots of thought and planning behind them then just random shit plastered randomly. I know it's an algorithm and isn't really random, but it's random enough and it's never as good as one well thought out carefully crafted map or board. It never manages to compete.

RNG in combat can generally be accounted for but I'm not a fan of it in anything that isn't turned based, and even that has it's limits, XCOM can suck my dick. But if it's a game that's "live action" or whatever, you're in control of your character then yea RNG can fuck off. Fallout 3 can also suck my dick for telling me my perfeclty aimed head shot didn't hit because Dice Roll. Fuck that nonsense. I only accent RNG in an action type game as loot drops and the like. Otherwise not a fan. in a turn based or tacticle game tho? I can deal, it's easy enough to have a plan B or C fall back on for those situation so it doesn't bother me as much.
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ah, to see another talking shit on turn-based combat warms my heart :clap: yeah, fuck that silly foolishness. My stance on the matter has been the same since way back in the NES days, when I first experienced the hilariously awful Dragon Warrior (at least I genuinely enjoyed the music)... I will absolutely not settle for anything less than real time. Give me the Kingdoms of Amalurs, Dragons Dogmas, Diablo types, etc. all day every day over that horseshit. The strange thing to me is that this actually fits an "unpopular gaming opinion" thread.
    All of that makes me think "Ewww, gross."

I have yet to see a single procedural level system that wasn't fucking balls. People say it gives you a new experience each time it really doesn't. It's just the same bullshit re-arranged, and it almost never builds itself in a well thought manner. It's just random shit recycled randomly over and over.

Haven't played Divinity so maybe it's the game that gets it right but I really doubt it would change my mind.

Divinity doesn't have procedural generation; Invisible does. When I say "every encounter is unique" in Divinity I just mean that the game never reuses enemy placements to have identical encounters. But they're still hand designed.

So it's poorly designed in that it expects you to build a balanced party, focus on strengthening yourself and debilitating your foes, and approach fights in a way that accounts for your surroundings, instead of just charging in head first and expecting to win? Okay, lol. And it's not like physical fighters are lacking in useful skills.

You need a physical fighter to tank and you can deal massive damage with gear but the nature of the game is that your party can't be a bunch of warriors and thieves. It's fair enough to have a healer but you need to play Mages because the game revolves around them. That's not the case with​ other RPGs. Divinity is a game where if you spread your talents thin or take the wrong talents you can handicap yourself to the point you need to go again. It's also a game where you can get incredibly rich stealing anything that isn't​ nailed down and the only thing stopping you is your own roleplaying restraints. That's not great design. Divinity is an interesting game, but it's not a perfect example of an RPG done right.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 596
    Mario Kart is mediocre compared to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing franchise.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best game published by SEGA in the last decade.

Fighters Megamix is better than Smash Bros. 64 and desperately needs a sequel.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    Everything else you said is made invalid by this one statement

Get out.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    edited July 14
    Neither of those or Crash Team Racing can hold a candle to Transformed. The level design, roster variety, and controls are just too well implemented in Transformed. They would even have trouble competing in on-the-ground racing with the first Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing game.
    Neither of those or Crash Team Racing can hold a candle to Transformed. The level design, roster variety, and controls are just too well implemented in Transformed. They would even have trouble competing in on-the-ground racing with the first Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Transformed game.

sulu-and-luke-skywalker-at-a-toaster-in-a-t-a-r-d-i-s-25058287.png
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,602
    Never played Mario Kart, but Diddy Kong had some cool vehicle variety, and Crash Team Racing was that shit. Dingodile boys.
    edited July 14
    Also, while I am at it: Darkwing Duck (NES) is better than Mega Man 1-10.
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,113

2 begs to differ
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 198
    edited July 14
    Never understood the need to create a topic for unpopular opinions. They're just opinions not facts. Would anyone be insecure enough to create a topic and warn peoples that something in here might not be to their liking ?

If I find Final Fantasy 7 to be a steaming pile of crap, I can say it anywhere.
    You don't deserve to know my name !
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,473
    Reiji wrote: »
    Never understood the need to create a topic for unpopular opinions. They're just opinions not facts. Would anyone be insecure enough to create a topic and warn peoples that something in here might not be to their liking ?

Good luck with that here. FF fanboyism is pretty high.

Yeah you can say, "Fuck Final Fantasy", but much like saying FUCK CAPCPOM, expect push back.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10

You need a physical fighter to tank and you can deal massive damage with gear but the nature of the game is that your party can't be a bunch of warriors and thieves. It's fair enough to have a healer but you need to play Mages because the game revolves around them. That's not the case with​ other RPGs. Divinity is a game where if you spread your talents thin or take the wrong talents you can handicap yourself to the point you need to go again. It's also a game where you can get incredibly rich stealing anything that isn't​ nailed down and the only thing stopping you is your own roleplaying restraints. That's not great design. Divinity is an interesting game, but it's not a perfect example of an RPG done right.

I don't think that's really true. Divinity never locks you into a set path with your characters. Your starting class determines only your starting gear; after that, it's all up to you. A warrior isn't stuck using only Man At Arms. A rogue isn't stuck using only Scoundrel. They can take from other Skill schools; Aeothurge in particular is great for rogues. The same goes for skill, attribute, and talent points. And if you really didn't want to do that, you can make up the difference with potions, grenades, and special arrows. If you want to make a team of Warriors, you can do it.

As for being able to steal anything, I say that's great design, since it shows internal consistency. If you can carry it and are skilled enough, you can steal anything. If you're strong and smart enough, you can kill anything with a health bar. Only two enemy types in the game are outright invincible, and that's justified in the lore instead of just getting an "essential" flag because they're plot important. Divinity is great because it just lays out a bunch of interacting systems and gives you the freedom to go to town with them in any way you wish.
    Divinity gives you a lot of options but the best one is just to play an earth and fire mage with a Rogue/archer style of character. This is because the NPCs are a fighter and Water/Air Mage who conveniently works great as your loremaster. It has a lot of options but there is definitely a right and wrong way of doing things and while you can do anything the mechanics suggest you shouldn't, you should combo spells and teleport things infront of your warrior to hit.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,792
    Reiji wrote: »

because sometimes the people with those said unpopular opinions are open to discuss why they feel that way and it engages others in a sometimes fun conversation. A lot of people who post here just like to make troll posts, unfortunately. :( This thread use to be really fun and engaging.

and saying ff7 is bad isnt really an unpopular opinion. (here anyways)
    Saying 3/6 is on the other hand though. That'll likely get some push back.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch), Splatoon 2 (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

edited July 14
    Raij1n wrote: »
    2 begs to differ
    I do not think a larger arsenal of weapons makes up for the poor platforming and level design. There are games in the X series that are far better executed than either, but on its own Mega Man 2 only has nostalgia going for it.

Final Fantasy VII is like a litmus test for individual's tastes. I personally could not stand how poorly constructed it was past the first continent. The first disk seemed to allude to something greater coming, but it just became more nonsensical and convoluted the farther it went on. Hopefully, the Remake will fix those problems without sacrificing the greater set pieces. I can't really say Final Fantasy has ever had great gameplay mechanics relative to its peers, so improving on it should not be too difficult.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,473
    Alright, you can stop that nonsense right there homie.

This poor trolling at its worst.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    You know the worst game I've played in recent memory was easily CoD Infinite Warfare. My step-son quit it for Overwatch and I couldn't be prouder as that game was straight ass.
    I do not understand. What does anything I have said have to do with Scandinavian folklore or fishing?
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,468
    edited July 14

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best game published by SEGA in the last decade.

No lies detected :tup:

Mario Kart, while cool, didn't become a contender until the 200cc was added.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    Femto wrote: »

Mario Kart been Solid Gold since the SNES game.
    Sonic racing is a cheap cash-in with a poor attempt at making forgotten characters relevant
  • atiradoratirador Fire and Ice Joined: Posts: 1,580
    I failed to see the appeal of Sonic Racing Transformed

I still have that game on my old PS3, so maybe someday I might return to it
    They're both good :coffee:
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Femto wrote: »

Mario Kart been Solid Gold since the SNES game.
    Sonic racing is a cheap cash-in with a poor attempt at making forgotten characters relevant

You are severely underselling how good Sonic Racing is. I like how Sonic isn't overly reliant on items to maintain or gain positioning. The items are effective but they don't dictate the pace of races and can be completely voided with skillful dodging. With transformed the water and airplane races completely change the gameplay and are not gimmicks like the gliders and underwater sections in Mario Kart.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    Divinity gives you a lot of options but the best one is just to play an earth and fire mage with a Rogue/archer style of character. This is because the NPCs are a fighter and Water/Air Mage who conveniently works great as your loremaster. It has a lot of options but there is definitely a right and wrong way of doing things and while you can do anything the mechanics suggest you shouldn't, you should combo spells and teleport things infront of your warrior to hit.

If you're so anal as to think that only the absolute min-maxed most optimal build is considered "valid," then of course you're going to think that any system is restricted. Besides, Jahan and Madora aren't your only companion options, anyway.

Despite the fact that i still used those companions, my party wasn't quite like what you were describing. I had no real rogue; the closest was giving Madora a few ranks in Scoundrel during the endgame after she ran out of Man At Arms skills. My geomancer PC ended up gaining a heavy focus towards Witchcraft. My archer PC was pretty unoptimized, with more than a few fairly needless points, but could still one shot a boss after Soulsap.

Honestly I can't tell how you wanted to play, such that you felt restricted so much by the game despite it being really open. The game can handle pretty much any style that's not just being a berserker. What's your ideal battle system?
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 14
    Only two enemy types in the game are outright invincible, and that's justified in the lore instead of just getting an "essential" flag because they're plot important. .
    This reminds me of that one nitpick that bugs me about just about any game... when certain characters are inexplicably invincible....and you know it's because they are either tied to the main storyline, or they are characters that would spark huge controversy if you could kill or hurt them (i.e.--child characters)

In the case of Skyrim, fortunately the modding community can take care of removing such restraints. If I recall... I think even my beloved Kingdoms of Amalur had characters that were invincible because they are important to the main story....everyone else was fair game though, and if caught by Guards you could get thrown in jail for a while over it :lol: heh, I like that there's usually an achievement associated with those things... I think Skyrim had an achievement for being jailed and successfully escaping.

On another note--
    Rumble in a controller-- yep, I still don't give a damn about this. It's surprising that they put it into the Switch joycons too... I can't help but wonder how much cheaper Switch might have been without the rumble feature in there. (or perhaps that extra little development time may have been used for something else) In most games, I just turn that shit off if it will let me. Metal Gear Solid was the only game I played that used the feature in an interesting way.

I also do not give a shit about rumble.
    I do not care about the Switch variant, but I loved feeling the vibration of a train in Grand Theft Auto 3 and the vibration of nearby treasure, phone calls and charging in No More Heroes. I think it was also used in some horror title in a scene where you were powerless and scared to a great effect. None of those would have been impactful if it was not for the vibration.
    Meh. Only time I thought Vibration was cool was when Psycho Mantis "moved my controller with his mind." Otherwise it's a pointless gimmick.
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,602
    I liked the vibration in the fishing game, I think from Persona 4, where you could tell which fish was gonna take your bait from the intensity of the vibration.
    Leon63 wrote: »
    I liked the vibration in the fishing game, I think from Persona 4, where you could tell which fish was gonna take your bait from the intensity of the vibration.

A bunch of games have done that with scavenger hunt type shit so you know you're getting closer to the item.

I don't mind vibration really, I've tried turning it off because some elitists think it effects your aim but I always miss it.
    Only "Good" use of vibration force feedback is one of the Extras of the Rival Schools PS1 game.
    Having the School Nurse Kyoko's Office and she gives you a massage

The controller vibrates as she does her thing, you supposed to put the controller against your body
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    CTR being as good as Mario Kart isn't as unpopular as people think outside Nintendo fanboys.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001