Unpopular gaming opinions SECOND IMPACT

Comments

• Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,113
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Only "Good" use of vibration force feedback is one of the Extras of the Rival Schools PS1 game.
    Having the School Nurse Kyoko's Office and she gives you a massage

The controller vibrates as she does her thing, you supposed to put the controller against your body

Reminds me of this girl I'd talk to early in high school around when the rumble pack first released. I lost it when she told me she crashes in 1080 snowboarding on purpose.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Rumble/vibration was a gimmick at best.
    Removing that from modern controllers should improve battery life overall
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    tataa8P wrote: »

You can turn vibration off at the system level in PS4, so that's not an issue
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,792
    I don't even notice vibration
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch), Splatoon 2 (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

I notice it more when it's off than when it's on. I kinda like it, though it wouldn't bother me more than a minute if it wasn't there
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    Remember when Rumble was removed from the PS3 controller? There was a huge backlash over it. I didn't take people cared for rumble that much.

Funny thing was Sony was in middle of a lawsuit and was force by courts to discontinue Rumble till the case was order.
    It was some rinky dinky company that claims vibration force feedback was their patent and they invented it years before force feedback hit the scene.

Nintendo and Microsoft decided to settle out of court and just pay the company, Sony decided instead to fight it.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • ShogunZShogunZ You Jelly? Joined: Posts: 1,822
    edited July 16
    I don't know to what degree this is popular or unpopular here, but I believe that ultimately open world gaming is the future of videogames and holds, by far, the greatest potential for gaming. That is, if done right. SPECIFICALLY, I mean if you take any linear to semi linear set of mechanics and drop it into a rich enough open world, it's better than ANY linear game.

Imagine, for example, if you had Souls/Bourne combat perfectly transposed into a world like Skyrim. This gives you the solid mechanics of From's series but with the freedom and player agency to apply those mechanics however you wish. I firmly believe this is the true potential of videogames and will ultimately be the pinnacle of the medium. Core mechanics/player agency...I would not mind mind if the vast majority of games were created this way.
    PS4 Now Playing: Persona 5, Injustice 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn
    edited July 16
    Freedom and uncertainty is directly opposed to purposeful design. At least when it comes to some things like level design.

I haven't played THAT much of Skyrim, but like if you mean truly being able to do anything anywhere there's a lot of issues you run into such as being able to break continuity, having issues with difficulty curves, etc. It isn't possible to design an open world that is both consistently challenging with consistent great level design and is truly open and free.

Open world games can't become a pinnacle of anything other than open world games.

I can agree on wanting better, more solid, deeper combat options, but depth and width at the same time is extremely difficult to do and design for. Like if Skyrim had all it's same combat options but every system is made that much deeper, developing them at all, as far as development time goes, will massively increase, let alone the balancing required.

Granted if they didn't make it THAT wide and made it just DECENTLY deep, it can still work, just like the amazing Dragon's Dogma, but that's not a simple feat, and DD'S open world is rather restricted compared to western open world games as a result
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    edited July 16
    There's so much more to Souls then just the combat and the extremely purposeful level design is a big part of it. Transferring Souls Combat to a Skyrim world would be missing a very large amount of what makes Souls what it is and why it's so good. I really can't agree with that statement, the idea of just putting Souls into Skyrim sounds fucking awful to me honestly. That may be my bias against Bethesda talking but even say putting Souls into the open world of Witcher III a game I really love doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I really don't think there is a one greatest end all be all design style or philosophy, but ways within each type of style that elevates that style to a higher level, but even those philosophies will wear thin and get old and phase in and out of popularity, they are just trends in the end. I love Souls but find I dislike a lot of Souls type games for example.

Imo the ultimate philosophies are to find what works for you and refine it, and to never stop experimenting and trying new things even if they end up not working. Remember that Souls became a thing because Miyazaki took over a failing project and decided to just try a bunch of experimental stuff and see what worked and what didn't. Demon's Souls is an extremely experimental game and does a lot of stuff the worked well and was used again as well as stuff that either didnt work, or didn't work well enough to continue being expanded upon and thus Demons is the only one that does them.

Once you decide there is one ultimate way to do something, your over and done imo.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    This is what makes me wary of the newest Metro entry.

I love the pace and design of those games despite its flaws. They could easily fuck the strong narrative aspect by opening the world too much. I don't want Fallout: Russia. I want another solid Metro game. I feel they could pull it off, though with the way they had the overworld and its condition there will have to be an entire new cast a couple generations down the line.

You can't transplant what makes certain games charming or fun into an open world just for the sake of having an open world, you'll dilute the overall experience or lose something in translation.

And I don't know the general opinion... But Bethesda for the most part can eat a couple bags of dicks. I think Wolfenstein is the only thing they're doing that's any good these days. I'd rather bathe with a toaster plugged in than play Skyrim

• FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,785
    Dragon's Dogma was basically Skyrim meets Monster Hunter. It had flaws like no multiplayer, bad menus and some bad dialogue but it was an amazing game. The world was amazing, combat was fun and it was huge like Skyrim, the game goes forever especially with the post-game and DLC.

The Witcher 3 is another brilliant game with fun combat, good storytelling but a huge open world.

Demon's Souls style games work in part because you're fighting more than enemies, you're fighting the level. I've completed all of them and if you had room to move they'd be brain-dead at times with backstabs and arrows. They work because they put you in uncomfortable situations. Half the game is finding shortcuts and a lot of the suspense in boss fights is because you don't just die and instantly reattempt them, you need to fight your way back.
    edited July 16
    Raij1n wrote: »
    This is what makes me wary of the newest Metro entry.

I love the pace and design of those games despite its flaws. They could easily fuck the strong narrative aspect by opening the world too much. I don't want Fallout: Russia. I want another solid Metro game. I feel they could pull it off, though with the way they had the overworld and its condition there will have to be an entire new cast a couple generations down the line.

You can't transplant what makes certain games charming or fun into an open world just for the sake of having an open world, you'll dilute the overall experience or lose something in translation.

And I don't know the general opinion... But Bethesda for the most part can eat a couple bags of dicks. I think Wolfenstein is the only thing they're doing that's any good these days. I'd rather bathe with a toaster plugged in than play Skyrim

Bethesda only produces Wolfenstein, they are the devs of it. Same with DOOM.
    edited July 21
    ]Bethesda only produces Wolfenstein, they are the devs of it. Same with DOOM.
    That only half, Bethesda didn't made Wolfenstein or Doom, they only produce and distribute it.
    But ID Software is own by the same parent company as Bethesda, Zenimax.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 16
    cheh, I still fantasize of the day when Elder Scrolls-level depth and lore is blessed with superior combat inspired by any of my favorites, like Dragon's Dogma, Amalur, etc..with of course the stability of those other games (Kingdoms of Amalur never crashed once, if I recall..and it has only one game-breaking bug that is easily avoided if you know in advance.. Dragon's Dogma never had any technical "issues" either, in my experience. Whenever I play Skyrim now... I just keep wondering when the next crash/freeze will be, which ultimately ruins what is otherwise a truly legendary gaming experience). It would instantly be the greatest game of all time for me, without question.

So far Witcher 3 is coming pretty close to that... but the 1 problem there is that it obviously is not as "free" to imagination/roleplay like Skyrim... you're "Geralt of Rivia" there..not really your own character...the best you can do is imagine it as your "version" of Geralt. Skyrim lets me be any type of character I want to be in that world, with any kind of name, including monstrous things like "Vampire Lord" or a werewolf (*or "werebears" and other things thanks to mods, of course--sidenote--even without mods, "werebears" ARE in there, folks. :tup: The shit was too awesome when I ran into a pack of those one day... my character wasn't at all ready for that...)
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 596
    I do not think open world is particularly great unless it is properly populated with meaningful npcs, interiors, and objectives. In some ways The Legend of Zelda (NES) nailed the open world with difficulty spikes.
    Legend_of_Zelda_NES.PNG
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Dragon's Dogma was basically Skyrim meets Monster Hunter. It had flaws like no multiplayer, bad menus and some bad dialogue but it was an amazing game. The world was amazing, combat was fun and it was huge like Skyrim, the game goes forever especially with the post-game and DLC.

Yeah, but DD also had real level design in a bunch of places, and it wasn't ANYWHERE NEAR as big as Skyrim actually. And if you think about it, it's actually not that big of a game at all. Which isn't to say I think it's small, I think it's sized just right, but for people that really love open world games, I've seen more than once people say that it's kinda small.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    I'll second that. Dragon's Dogma's world is nowhere near the size of most open world games, which is one of the things I'd like to see improved if we ever get a sequel. That said, Bitterblack- the most linear part of the game- Isle was my favorite section due to how focused it was on the stellar combat.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    That only half, Bethesda didn't produce Wolfenstein or Doom, they only produce and distribute it.
    So...what I just said pretty much.
    That only half, Bethesda didn't produce Wolfenstein or Doom, they only produce and distribute it.
    So...what I just said pretty much.

You said they "are the devs of it"

I'm guessing you meant "aren't"
    edited July 16
    I did...lame.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,418

Im sure removing rumble could improve battery life somewhat but devs need to just make the controllers better period. If Nintendo can put out a controller that lasts 40 hours off of one charge with all the shit thats in it including rumble then the other companies should be able to do that as well. And thats also not including the wii u pro that has less functions but has rumble with an 80 hour battery life.
    Gasaraki wrote: »

Yeah, but DD also had real level design in a bunch of places, and it wasn't ANYWHERE NEAR as big as Skyrim actually. And if you think about it, it's actually not that big of a game at all. Which isn't to say I think it's small, I think it's sized just right, but for people that really love open world games, I've seen more than once people say that it's kinda small.

I guess it just feels big due to all the towers and things and lack of fast travel. Not to mention the whole night/day thing and how long some of the fights like the Ur Dragon can take. The game feels huge but in reality it must just be incredibly time consuming.
    On something else above, as much as I love being Geralt and I think it adds a lot being a specific character I miss the personalisation sometimes and I miss having a party.

That was something I got into a discussion with once over Dragon Age Inquisition. I really liked Dragon Age Inquisition but because The Witcher was also an open world fantasy RPG that came out around a similar time they got compared a lot. DA:I wasn't perfect but it did a lot of things right and the whole party banter thing and the freedom to play a character as what I envisioned was great. I had a lot of fun with the game being the pious noble son with blind devotion in the Maker.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonichuman wrote: »

Im sure removing rumble could improve battery life somewhat but devs need to just make the controllers better period. If Nintendo can put out a controller that lasts 40 hours off of one charge with all the shit thats in it including rumble then the other companies should be able to do that as well. And thats also not including the wii u pro that has less functions but has rumble with an 80 hour battery life.

That was a better point, props homie.
    I play fighting games on both stick and controllers and I ain't losing sleep about NOT having vibration/rumble on my input device.

Heck, when I was younger we didn't have that gimmick and console games were still fun.
    I guess what I really don't like about open world games is that I can find mused walking for hours without anything new or engaging it exciting. Fast travel systems were a godsend to thus type of game. I don't think I would've enjoyed HZD nearly as much if I had to walk or ride a beast every single damn place I went.

Raij1n wrote: »
    I guess what I really don't like about open world games is that I can find mused walking for hours without anything new or engaging it exciting. Fast travel systems were a godsend to thus type of game. I don't think I would've enjoyed HZD nearly as much if I had to walk or ride a beast every single damn place I went.

What's nice about DD is that sometimes you come across big enemies that are difficult enough to take seriously, but not enough to be a big danger (most of the time) so it kind of breaks the monotony of running.
    I almost never fast traveled in HZD lol.

I didn't in Dragon Age Inquisition as you miss the banter and there are plenty of materials and things to collect.
    I didn't at first but then when even the is thunderjaw never killed me out in the wild I just wanted to clear the map. The only thing that really ever troubled me were stalkers until I broke their dynamics apart.

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,418

I play fighting games on both stick and controllers and I ain't losing sleep about NOT having vibration/rumble on my input device.

Heck, when I was younger we didn't have that gimmick and console games were still fun.

Im actually one of the people that likes rumble as a feed back device. It especially helps in fps when the visual cues of 'you are being shot right now' aren't enough for you to act quicker. I can understand those that find it to be nothing but a gimmick but I find it helpful.

Im actually one of the people that likes rumble as a feed back device. It especially helps in fps when the visual cues of 'you are being shot right now' aren't enough for you to act quicker. I can understand those that find it to be nothing but a gimmick but I find it helpful.

I find it helps as well in certain games. Especially on the PS4 as you can sometimes even tell the direction you're being shot at from the vibration.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,156
    I have always enjoyed the rumble feature on Playstation consoles. All things considered it comes across as much more refined than other consoles.

Not sure how unpopular this opinion will be but racing games really need to tap into the non-petrol head market again.

I was thinking about this with Crash Team Racing but back in the day there were way more arcade-style racers and combat racers. Not just Mario Kart. I kind of miss car-combat/racing games. I grew up on stuff like Wipeout, Carmageddon and Twisted Metal.
    Id like to see more arcade combat style racers come up.

A new Road Rash, or Roadblaster or something. Roadblaster was awesome.

Even a new Outrun despite its later iterations being passable would be cool.
    edited July 18
    There are a bunch of dead franchises if they want a few extra nostalgia dollars. Rollcage was a good one.

Edit: Huh, apparently there is a game called Grip on Steam that is basically just that.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    I want another game like Blur that was an arcade racer with kart racer items. It was my favorite racing game last generation. It sucks that it flopped.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    I want another game like Blur that was an arcade racer with kart racer items. It was my favorite racing game last generation. It sucks that it flopped.

That's always the problem isn't it, money. Sometimes the ideas are great just poorly executed as well. They blame the concept when really the execution is why somethings don't sell. Other times it's just poor marketing or a cold market and they don't risk it happening again.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    Not sure how unpopular this opinion will be but racing games really need to tap into the non-petrol head market again.

I was thinking about this with Crash Team Racing but back in the day there were way more arcade-style racers and combat racers. Not just Mario Kart. I kind of miss car-combat/racing games. I grew up on stuff like Wipeout, Carmageddon and Twisted Metal.

Look up Redout, it's pretty good.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,473
    Rock n' Roll Racing was great. It was like the spiritual successor of RC Pro Am.

Extreme G, Wipeout... We need another futuristic speed fest, like a return of Star Wars Pod Racer, or *glares at Nintendo* F-Zero.

Yeah there's Fast Racing NEO, but I think there's room for more.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just want a new good RIDGE RACER, I still have found memory of the arcade games running people off the track and being the only one to know how to drift.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    Speaking of racing games, how I wish Burnout comes back. That series was sick!
    I really liked how hyper-realistic the sense of speed was in those games to the point that the graphics were tearing up because so much was going on in the screen.

That and Sega GT.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,662
    Road Rash 1-3 remastered in hd, 60fps and the music redone with guitars and drums. Will never happen but I can only dream
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Road Rash sucks. Better it be forgotten about.

I still play, and love, Burnout Paradise. Game is just fun. I've liked most of the Burnout games.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
    drizzt360 wrote: »
    Road Rash sucks. Better it be forgotten about.

Last time I said this in this thread was about P5.

Fuck you.

No, Fuck you all.

I am still getting MVC I