Let's talk about money - The Finance Thread

Comments

• RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,870
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Anybody got any advice when it comes to family and money? Like I want to help my family out but it seems way too often they are hitting me up for money. I can't seem to go A month without someone needing something. And they 9/10 times have no intentions of paying it back. I did the math and I have given nearly 2 grand out to folks. That shit is crazy! That could've put A dent in some of my debt. Do I just start telling folks no I got my own problems? Or put A cap to how much I'll give out to family?

Hold onto something of equal value until they repay you as collateral. Tough situation you're in but cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents can fuck off. Bros, sisters, and parents might get consideration depending if they've paid you back.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • StarhammerStarhammer The failings of this world fills me with laughter. Joined: Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Don't know how many of you are nearing retirement age, but.......................

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7eab376f4a9b7d1d63580ce58&id=af6eaf9faa&e=0a701a4652

Basically saw this coming already. Well, stack your own papers bros. Big daddy government ain't so big and getting smaller.

-Starhammer-
    Million wrote: »
    Personally, it warms my heart to see them all suffer for their poor choices. You like the Chris Brown types? How's that occasional domestic violence taste? It's fun learning how to "take a bump" like a WWE superstar, isn't it? Yeah get beat you worthless trash. Get shit on. I want to see you bitches crash and burn forever. It's like I can smell the fragrance of their ruined lives... it fuels the soul.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    mIRC wrote: »
    Julia Stiles came flying out of the womb into the wall. The fuck are you talking about? The doctors had to scrape her off of the wall. Some people merely adopted the wall. She was born in it, molded by it. Pink Floyd made an album prophesizing her birth.

AV by Rick Ross.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,434
    Starhammer wrote: »
    Don't know how many of you are nearing retirement age, but.......................

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7eab376f4a9b7d1d63580ce58&id=af6eaf9faa&e=0a701a4652

Basically saw this coming already. Well, stack your own papers bros. Big daddy government ain't so big and getting smaller.

-Starhammer-

That'll tank the economy. Great Depression II, here we come...
  • StarhammerStarhammer The failings of this world fills me with laughter. Joined: Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Listen up bros. It's really close to that time again. Click and listen to this one. It might save your money, if not your life.

-Starhammer-
    Personally, it warms my heart to see them all suffer for their poor choices. You like the Chris Brown types? How's that occasional domestic violence taste? It's fun learning how to "take a bump" like a WWE superstar, isn't it? Yeah get beat you worthless trash. Get shit on. I want to see you bitches crash and burn forever. It's like I can smell the fragrance of their ruined lives... it fuels the soul.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    Julia Stiles came flying out of the womb into the wall. The fuck are you talking about? The doctors had to scrape her off of the wall. Some people merely adopted the wall. She was born in it, molded by it. Pink Floyd made an album prophesizing her birth.

AV by Rick Ross.
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 527
    While the crash is obvious with the warning signs already. Based on how the DOW has been acting I think its hedge fund managers propping it up baiting investors to buy into the high prices while they slowly sell off their shares. I dont think the crash is going to be that rough with Trump in office.
    How so?

He's hit the ground running after he was inaugurated and while I dont think he will audit the Fed. Its more so a move to put pressure on the Fed seeing as they reduced their proposed interest rate increase to a cap of 3%. (IIRC they were think 5-7%.)
    Another thing Trump is flirting with the idea of gold/silver backed currency in the case of the American dollar crashing as oil prices drop from OPEC losing credibility. Or even using that as the opportunity to shift the dollar on the sale of oil from Saudis to American produced oil sales.

All in all. If Hillary was elected I would be considering it the case of "end of the world" and even the beginning of a global currency.
    But with Trump, I have faith the American economy will survive the storm and come out even stronger then before.
  • twigstertwigster Joined: Posts: 567
    While the crash is obvious with the warning signs already. Based on how the DOW has been acting I think its hedge fund managers propping it up baiting investors to buy into the high prices while they slowly sell off their shares. I dont think the crash is going to be that rough with Trump in office.
    How so?

The problem is that no one knows whether the crash will be hyperinflation, or massive deflation, or even "slow" deflation, where we don't have a big crash all at once, and the market goes down over a period of 5 years or so.

So you have to have some mostly boring mix of cash and precious metals.

Anything still in the stock market has to be something you're okay with losing.

I'm actually picking up commodities right now since many of the miners are quite cheap.
  • Ken34Ken34 a.k.a Mashima Taichi Joined: Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    so....yall still acting scared of the market when all this money is being made?

chart.ashx?t=AMD&ty=c&ta=1&p=d&s=l

i entered AMD @ $9.77, its up 15% today....now obviously im going to take most of it off and lock in my gains, but if yall seriously not buying any big dips right now yall are crazy. as long as the SPX continues to hold the 21 EMA on the chart(around 2272 ish), im buying dips all day. if the spx gives me 2 closes below the 21 EMA then im out.
    "True Strength is something Money and Credit cards cannot buy"
    Anyone got any money bet on Marine Le Pen?

She's a lot scarier than Trump IMO, but her chances keep improving. Her main rival on the "right" is undergoing a huge scandal at the moment.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 6
    I put 500 bucks on her when the odds were 5 to 1. The French are being real assholes about the actual odds by not publishing polls so I didn't feel confident enough to throw big money down. I usually won't bother gambling on anything less than 2:1 odds. At 5:1 it was at least worth putting some money down in the hope that the French were tired of being terrorized. I still have serious doubts that the French have the balls to save their own culture.
    Post edited by J-ride on
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    What website? I need to put some $ down...
    I use betfair, the European site will let you bet on anything. Elections, coin tosses, it's pretty hilarious. Right now Le Pen sitting on 3.9 to 1.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

www.minds.com

The reason I'm posting that link here is because I like 'em. They may end up taking over when YouTube finally shits itself into oblivion. Right now, they don't have an IPO or stock, but I wanted to get their name out there for my fellow SRKers. If I find out anything else, I'll share it.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    you really think youtube is going anywhere lol?

its like saying facebook is going away. not happening in this lifetime.
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

SNAAAAKE wrote: »
    you really think youtube is going anywhere lol?

its like saying facebook is going away. not happening in this lifetime.

Go away? Maybe not.

Of couse, I thought the same thing about AOL and Netscape. There is always someone better waiting around the corner. If you're lucky, you never run into them. I still think that YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are all out there fucking up. Right now, they don't have any credible competition for their audiences. However, Poor ol' Hillary was the same thing. Nobody could beat her........................................Until he did. :rofl: Now, will this website take over the top spot from Youtube? who knows? There will always be another,"Next big thing". The future won't let us know what that thing is until it is too late. With any luck, we can see it in time to catch the wave and ride it to success. I don't know if this is that wave, but I'll keep my eye on it and share what I find.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    YouTube owned by Alphabet, so not going anywhere...
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    YouTube owned by Alphabet, so not going anywhere...

yea that was my thinking as well, google too stronk, no way youtube is going anywhere. atleast not in our lifetimes, maybe in a 100 years if the world shifts in tech to something else, but productivity and creativity have been getting slower and slower, so i wouldnt worry about that.
  • orochi ryuorochi ryu Tevale Joined: Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    cool thread
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So, any marijuana stocks poised to take off? I hear they will or won't after they report their profits in April.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,331
    edited February 10
    Would it be a good investment as of now, to buy some shares from Activision?

*Newbie here*
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,389
    Weeaboo wrote: »

I would think you're a day late on that, but who knows, maybe they can keep surprising people. I only heard the number, you'd have to look into why they did so well this quarter and think about whether they can keep it up.
    New Jersey
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,331
    So, a no?
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    So, any marijuana stocks poised to take off? I hear they will or won't after they report their profits in April.

I'm looking into LDS.CN (lifestyle delivery systems), you should check it out. It's the cheapest of the 4 publicly traded stocks that have a marijuana distribution license in California.
    So, a no?

Nah.

I would think you're a day late on that, but who knows, maybe they can keep surprising people. I only heard the number, you'd have to look into why they did so well this quarter and think about whether they can keep it up.

ATVI did well thanks to overwatch having a high user count and surprise up on revenue from their aquisition of the mobile game they picked up last year(was it candy crush?) , they are doing really well, but i wouldnt buy the top of a gap up
    edited February 16

edited February 19
  • RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME Trumpologist Joined: Posts: 1,240
    J-ride wrote: »

It doesn't say how the soft AI came up with the figures but.... I'm listening. At least it mentions concrete figures for the 1st round. That is something for me to go off of. I put like 1k on fillon when he was 7x and cashed out when the odds shifted to 4.9x. I made 300 profit. I pulled out because I was sure fillon wouldn't be able to recover.

I was thinking about placing a bet where le pen gets over 30% in the first round but I thought that was reaching. The Artificial Intelligence says Le pen will get 28% of the votes in the first half round so we'll see. If Le pen and Macron make it to the second rounds with figures similar to what the Artificial Intelligence said then I'll take it much more seriously for the final round and I'll bet some money.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 27
    So I've got 5k that I'm willing to get pretty risky with, any suggestions besides just straight up gambling?

Like, what do you think Nintendo stock will do the day of the switch release?
    So sometimes (often) I just don't understand markets.

The price of platinum has gone up by $40 in the last 2 weeks, and yet the primary platinum miners have barely moved.

Either the algos on Wall Street are SUPER clairvoyant, or the the price of the miners is just not correlated with the asset they mine, OR everyone is just missing this.

Annoyed. I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy those mining stocks yet.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,455
    twigster wrote: »

The price of platinum has gone up by $40 in the last 2 weeks, and yet the primary platinum miners have barely moved.

Either the algos on Wall Street are SUPER clairvoyant, or the the price of the miners is just not correlated with the asset they mine, OR everyone is just missing this.

I don't know anything specific about the platinum market, but just at a theoretical level- if platinum prices have increased to offset a dip in production, the value of the mining operations themselves may have held relatively constant.
    twigster wrote: »

same thing happened to gold, gold has been on a nice uptrend lately, but GDX which is the etf that follows gold miners, has been having alot of trouble getting back above its 200 day moving average and it broke down today in a big way.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,252
    Have any of you guys done Index Universal Life Insurance? Someone came over today & pitch it to me & seem ok for an extra safety net savings. What are your thoughts?
  • IanoIano Joined: Posts: 51
    rcaido wrote: »
    Have any of you guys done Index Universal Life Insurance? Someone came over today & pitch it to me & seem ok for an extra safety net savings. What are your thoughts?

I've done a VUL that was mutual fund based and almost 10 years later I can't wait until the day where I can pull the money out and invest it via other means. I say 10 years because they penalize you heavily for taking the money out early. I don't know how an index-based one compares, but on the VUL the commission was high (hence the pitch), the insurance premium higher than the competition, and the fees on the funds themselves pretty high. In all cases I would have been better off with a term + investing the $s myself. If you're gonna go for it, I'd definitely crunch the numbers first against something like a term life + index funds.
    NeoBlood wrote: »
    So I've got 5k that I'm willing to get pretty risky with, any suggestions besides just straight up gambling?

Like, what do you think Nintendo stock will do the day of the switch release?

use half of it to play baccarat with the dragon bonus (10:1 & 30:1). That's my avatar by the way lol.
    I'm thinking of tossing 2k at SNAP before they hit 30 bucks a share...but how long can they sustain their growth? They lost 514 million last year. Everyone says they've yet to be profitable as a company. I still want their stock, but it'll be one I keep with a fast escape in mind.
    I'm thinking of tossing 2k at SNAP before they hit 30 bucks a share...but how long can they sustain their growth? They lost 514 million last year. Everyone says they've yet to be profitable as a company. I still want their stock, but it'll be one I keep with a fast escape in mind.

it can either be the next facebook or the next twitter, it depends on their team and if they can properly monetize and grow their business model. but in the short term, i can see the stock running just on hype, but i would be careful cause when the hype is up, you could wake up one morning to a huge gap down.
    Ken34 wrote: »

it can either be the next facebook or the next twitter, it depends on their team and if they can properly monetize and grow their business model. but in the short term, i can see the stock running just on hype, but i would be careful cause when the hype is up, you could wake up one morning to a huge gap down.

Even a put order wouldn't prevent a lot of loss if that happened. I need to tread carefully here. They really DO only have hype backing them...
    SNAP is bullshit. Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

In other news, it's looking very much like Marine Le Pen will win the French election. The socialists/left are in disgrace, Francois Fillon (the closest thing France has to a Republican party) is currently steeped in a scandal (giving fake jobs to his wife and son which were paid for with state funds), and Le Pen and a guy named Emmanuel Macron (who started his own party recently) are polling 1 and 2.

For those who don't know, French elections have 2 rounds, 1 where everyone is present, and then the second round in which the top 2 from the first round have another election. That winner becomes president.

I'm not really sure what executive power the French president has, but if she can get France out of the EU, then the party's all over.
    Just waiting for the crash. One play I'm eye balling is Nickel. With producers making deficits and PDAC happening it looks like it might make a pop again.
    Last majour highs was back in 08-09 when prices were 20-ish/ lb, though the cause of the highs was China with steel production.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-05/china-cuts-economic-growth-forecast-among-reform-push-here-are-key-changes
    Puts a kink in things but I'm still bullish on Nickel with the Trump WALL. Gonna see if I can hop in on the lows of a producer during/after the crash for a long term play.
    ATM Nickel is 5-ish/ lb.
    So from now on when I see a commodity shooting up while the associated miner/producer stays flat, I'm just going to assume it's algo/trader trickery. Platinum went up to $1050 or something and then got beaten down to $949 over the last week and a half.

Just some traders trying to catch people in the trap, I think.
    hey yo. anybody invested in any of the Automation companies? I keep hearing about,"Store X is switching to kiosks" and "This place over here is getting so many robots to do these jobs" and of course I'm adding two and two together and coming up with possible money maker.

NOTE: I haven't gotten to read these yet, but I ran into them while on this subject and I trust these sites, sooooooooooooooo.......................

http://seekingalpha.com/article/279225-3-leading-automation-stocks
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/03/stocks-to-buy-in-home-automation.aspx

This is what caused this post:

Looking forward to hearing what all of you have to say.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    I'm waiting on another 2008 coming soon...

Has anyone bought any VIX or other volitility indexes and such lately
    I'm waiting on another 2008 coming soon...

Has anyone bought any VIX or other volitility indexes and such lately

nah. Just sticking to my plan of dividends. even if things bottom out, I can stop and let the dividends keep paying, or sell it all out if need be. I'm like you. I feel like a crash is near. I'm still trying to see what, or where, or how it will start. If no clues have fallen by the end of Summer, I'll just continue on as normal. Good luck everyone.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    The interest rate(s) hikes are making it more expensive to have credit cards, mortgages, any other types of loans, so... here we go...
    hey yo. anybody invested in any of the Automation companies? I keep hearing about,"Store X is switching to kiosks" and "This place over here is getting so many robots to do these jobs" and of course I'm adding two and two together and coming up with possible money maker.

NOTE: I haven't gotten to read these yet, but I ran into them while on this subject and I trust these sites, sooooooooooooooo.......................

-Starhammer-

My thought process on Automation is that its only happening cause minimum wage is to high and another factor to consider is that good service is still valued even with all the comforts of technology. Might even get people nostalgic if the technology starts to develop rapidly.
    Its not a subject I enjoy or would even entertain on my part but...I'd stay with the big businesses of automation like the ones Seeking Alpha suggested.

Reasoning is that while the consumer versions seem all nice and fancy, I think it will be a niche market especially with the Wikileaks Docs of the CIA people will be weary of internet based products. Imo.
    Not to mention if any big chains finally makes a massive move towards automation whoever got the contract should have a massive spike in a day. Depending on the volatility, it should be good safe stock to day trade as well.

All in all, if you want to make a jump and hold a couple for the long term you can. I'd at least wait for after the crash to entertain the idea.
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,389
    My thought process on Automation is that its only happening cause minimum wage is to high and another factor to consider is that good service is still valued even with all the comforts of technology.

Automation keeps getting cheaper; the timing may change a little but it will happen regardless of minimum wage.
    New Jersey
    The interest rate(s) hikes are making it more expensive to have credit cards, mortgages, any other types of loans, so... here we go...

this is why I held off on the house hunt. I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but if anything can go wrong................

-Starhammer-

My thought process on Automation is that its only happening cause minimum wage is to high and another factor to consider is that good service is still valued even with all the comforts of technology. Might even get people nostalgic if the technology starts to develop rapidly.
    Its not a subject I enjoy or would even entertain on my part but...I'd stay with the big businesses of automation like the ones Seeking Alpha suggested.

Reasoning is that while the consumer versions seem all nice and fancy, I think it will be a niche market especially with the Wikileaks Docs of the CIA people will be weary of internet based products. Imo.
    Not to mention if any big chains finally makes a massive move towards automation whoever got the contract should have a massive spike in a day. Depending on the volatility, it should be good safe stock to day trade as well.

All in all, if you want to make a jump and hold a couple for the long term you can. I'd at least wait for after the crash to entertain the idea.

hmmmm. Sounds like good advice. :tup: There's no rush on my part. I most likely will wait a while longer. This crash should've happened already IMO, but I'm not fool enough to think that the water is safe because it hasn't happened yet.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    Started at over $10,000 in beginning of 2016. No under $6,000. Have a plan to pay off by June or July...

@Starhammer that thing talked about finally came through...
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,493
    Hey I had my Tax return's filled electronically about a month ago. And I've been checkin every week on the IRS website. And it is still in processing. How long does the IRS have to give me my tax return? Should I be concerned that it is taking this long? I never had to wait this long before
    ^ Mine only took about a week, but I filed the first week I was able because I have had my identity stolen before. I have had it take a month or longer before.