Let's talk about money - The Finance Thread

Comments

• twigstertwigster Joined: Posts: 567
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Hey I had my Tax return's filled electronically about a month ago. And I've been checkin every week on the IRS website. And it is still in processing. How long does the IRS have to give me my tax return? Should I be concerned that it is taking this long? I never had to wait this long before

I read an article that the slow IRS work is affecting auto market sales.

https://mishtalk.com/2017/03/20/used-car-prices-most-in-any-month-since-2008-only-2nd-february-in-20-years/

giphy.gif
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Used car prices are in an odd place. I don't quite understand why they are so high. When it came time for my wife to get a new vehicle it was only 5K more to buy a new sedan vs a 4 year old car of the same make and model. IMO that's not reasonable. I would pay 5K for new more and get an additional 5 years of use out of a vehicle.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,312
    edited March 20
    What do you guys think of gold and silver as a long term savings investment?
    CFN ScootMagee
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,252
    J-ride wrote: »
    Used car prices are in an odd place. I don't quite understand why they are so high. When it came time for my wife to get a new vehicle it was only 5K more to buy a new sedan vs a 4 year old car of the same make and model. IMO that's not reasonable. I would pay 5K for new more and get an additional 5 years of use out of a vehicle.

Yeah fresh car scent is worth 2k alone. Trying to get a reasonable price used truck, looks like i may have to buy new or something really old.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,501
    What do you guys think of gold and silver as a long term savings investment?

To my knowledge. Investing in gold and silver is simply for protection against inflation. You wont see too much return
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,312
    Anyone here use Robinhood for investing? I'm starting to consider using it to get into investing.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,443
    Someone on CNBC and on here said that the next bubble is the credit bubble. See automobiles and such.

The so called credit crunch some say. Will be like 2008 once more probably...
    Anyone know of any interesting bets regarding Brexit?

Theresa may will declare Article 50 (essentially an independence statement) soon.

Is it possible to bet on the EU-UK trade negotiations? Actually, I still haven't even placed a bet on the French election, it's looking increasingly like Le Pen will win, and without huge difficulty.
  • mastermindmastermind BACON STRIPS Joined: Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 25
    Dang it was about a year to the day since I last posted in here.

What's changed. Not too much. I'm over $100k net worth, majority of it is liquid cash, though. I haven't heavily invested yet because I've still been stockpiling cash for a down payment for a house; just enough in my Roth 401k at work to get the match but that's it. I'll get back to my Roth IRA after our down payment goal is fulfilled. I want to get above at least 12% saved up to make the mortgage payment reasonable. And in the Seattle area, 12% is ridiculous. But I think we're in a good spot financially to do that. Hoping to get a house before the end of the year.

Not really sure how the housing market will be once summer hits, but it's been a seller's market around here and the prices are ridiculously high. I've been playing patiently for a while, but my wife is getting restless hahah
    -mastermind. NEXT TIME, WE EAT FIGHT STICKS.

SF2 code: t+ c(+) T-@+ r f(++) g@+ m? s->++ v+ M- n--:-- o+
    edited March 25
    I'd go for the 20% down payment because it almost always nets you a better rate and you don't have to have private mortgage insurance.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

My ultimate goal is 20% because fuck PMI, but I'm not sure if I can hit that before the end of my lease at the end of summer. Actually now that I'm looking at my sheets, I'm actually closer to 16 than 12. /shrug

Well shit.

• RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME Trumpologist Joined: Posts: 1,240
    Woof, Seattle. It's good you have a wife, I hear the women are absolute shit over there. How much is the house?
    I met my wife in California, natch. Got married and moved her up here. haha

Don't have my sights on a particular house yet, but the price range I want is between 250 and 350. It'd be our first home, so I'm not looking for anything huge; 2br/2ba and a garage for my squat rack.

Talked to my dad today. "I'm thinking about trading options. I bought a tutorial course."

Nope, I am FUCKING OUT of this market. nope nope nope nope nope.

Not that I'm particularly invested very much in stocks anyway. But he's been caught in every bubble since... probably 1987.
    mastermind wrote: »

What's changed. Not too much. I'm over $100k net worth, majority of it is liquid cash, though. I haven't heavily invested yet because I've still been stockpiling cash for a down payment for a house; just enough in my Roth 401k at work to get the match but that's it. I'll get back to my Roth IRA after our down payment goal is fulfilled. I want to get above at least 12% saved up to make the mortgage payment reasonable. And in the Seattle area, 12% is ridiculous. But I think we're in a good spot financially to do that. Hoping to get a house before the end of the year.

Not really sure how the housing market will be once summer hits, but it's been a seller's market around here and the prices are ridiculously high. I've been playing patiently for a while, but my wife is getting restless hahah

Where are the Street Fighter scene(s)? I'll rape everyone...
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,353
    twigster wrote: »
    Talked to my dad today. "I'm thinking about trading options. I bought a tutorial course."

Not that I'm particularly invested very much in stocks anyway. But he's been caught in every bubble since... probably 1987.

I thought everybody knew that we were nose diving into a recession.
    My discord didn't work out, quick say something funny so I can add you in the sig!
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,389
    BullDancer wrote: »

I thought everybody knew that we were nose diving into a recession.

I think everyone expects at least a correction because this shit is crazy, but until it actually hits everyone's trying to keep the party going.
    New Jersey
    edited March 26
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

I have no idea. I haven't been to a local in close to 10 years.

Seattle proper is your best bet, and there's a Northwest Street Fighter group on FB that seems to have gotten all the attention away from the Northwest forums here. I have been told that Northwest Majors is happening the weekend of 4/7 out in Des Moines.

mastermind wrote: »

Thats because you use Akuma in ST.
    I can win without akuma. Now everyone's coming out of the woodwork lol
    I can win without akuma. Now everyone's coming out of the woodwork lol

Nah SF2 is dead...No SF2 this year at Northwest Majors. NO way im going to bring my arcade cabs to that fucktard TO. Someone else might bring theirs, i might show up & sneak in...No way im paying $60 or $75 venue fee.
    LOOOL, they said some high roller mystery tournament. Hopefully, it's not SF Bore or some shit. Funny if mystery is Mortal Kombat (1992)
  • StarhammerStarhammer The failings of this world fills me with laughter. Joined: Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 2
    Tried to give my 2 weeks notice at work today.

40 minutes later, they come back with a retention offer of TWENTY-SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. (I'll get 15.6k after tax, roughly)

winning.

Damn. The like button is gone. No worries. Master Pai mei will express my feelings for me.

wnod_zpswa6nkl4j.gif

:rofl: yeah, that's a sign and a half for your ass right there. Might be about time to eject and take the winnings off the table.

-Starhammer-
    Million wrote: »
    Personally, it warms my heart to see them all suffer for their poor choices. You like the Chris Brown types? How's that occasional domestic violence taste? It's fun learning how to "take a bump" like a WWE superstar, isn't it? Yeah get beat you worthless trash. Get shit on. I want to see you bitches crash and burn forever. It's like I can smell the fragrance of their ruined lives... it fuels the soul.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    mIRC wrote: »
    Julia Stiles came flying out of the womb into the wall. The fuck are you talking about? The doctors had to scrape her off of the wall. Some people merely adopted the wall. She was born in it, molded by it. Pink Floyd made an album prophesizing her birth.

AV by Rick Ross.
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 527
    http://www.coindesk.com/the-trump-administration-is-buying-into-blockchain-tech/

Dumping this here. Initially I was against Crypto currency but now...Its looking to be a good idea to start dabbling into it in the next year or 2.
    Even if you dont want to mine some you can still buy and hold them in digital wallets and services.

Hell, you can even trade them! Services that lets you trade them like fucking stocks WITHOUT THE LIMITS! 24/7
    Fucking only bad part is lack of people in the market and extremely volatile nature but at the same time...Play you cards right you could casually turn 100 bucker of bitcoin to 200 catching the dips. (Coinigy and Bittrex are great services.)

https://themerkle.com/top-6-major-cryptocurrencies-and-the-differences-between-them/
    Hear VIX and other volitility indices are a good buy now. They are at the lowest. You know what that means...
    What the fuck was she doing carrying around a dozen gold bars?
  • StarhammerStarhammer The failings of this world fills me with laughter. Joined: Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    hey yo. Here's a vid that can help us see the signs of a recession. Check him out.

-Starhammer-
    Personally, it warms my heart to see them all suffer for their poor choices. You like the Chris Brown types? How's that occasional domestic violence taste? It's fun learning how to "take a bump" like a WWE superstar, isn't it? Yeah get beat you worthless trash. Get shit on. I want to see you bitches crash and burn forever. It's like I can smell the fragrance of their ruined lives... it fuels the soul.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    Julia Stiles came flying out of the womb into the wall. The fuck are you talking about? The doctors had to scrape her off of the wall. Some people merely adopted the wall. She was born in it, molded by it. Pink Floyd made an album prophesizing her birth.

AV by Rick Ross.
    Reticently wrote: »
    This one might strike close to home for a few of you:

Charlton%20Heston%20Laugh_zpseqhtrpn1.gif

what in the fuck?

If I'm toting blocks like that around, I'm not getting out of that car for anything short of reaching my destination or death.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,501
    Hey I'm ready to start investing now. I got a 1000 bucks I want to start with. I've been reading up on this thread and looking up youtube vids by this dude

He mentioned that commisions and fees is one way beginners get killed in the market. So does anyone here have any brokers they would recommend? Should I go through my bank? (WellsFargo) Go through an online broker such as Etrade? I'm looking to start investing this week
    Nice. :tup: like I said in the GD thread, I've only recently started listening to him too. I'll be changing up some strategies I have thanks to him.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,389
    I liked his caveats, but I don't know I'm down with his other advice. An index fund would still be blue chips and you'd actually be diversified.

Plus his claim of 30-40% returns for 5 years is . . . hard to believe.
    New Jersey
    ^ I do ok, I usually sit in the 8-15% range. I don't see consistently breaking 20% single every year without insider trading.

• Ken34Ken34 a.k.a Mashima Taichi Joined: Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yea 8-15% per year is very doable.
    "True Strength is something Money and Credit cards cannot buy"
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,269
    The way I look at it, if my return for the year beats the inflation rate; I'm happy.
    Here is one site that lets u u play with fake money @bb_hoody http://www.investopedia.com/simulator/
    Good luck man.
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of the most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki
    The way I look at it, if my return for the year beats the inflation rate; I'm happy.
    Here is one site that lets u u play with fake money @bb_hoody http://www.investopedia.com/simulator/
    Good luck man.

Thanks a lot my dude. I remmeber back when I went to this colege in NY we got to play this stock simulator for like a week. I forgot it though. But does this follow the actual stock market but just with fake money?
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Good luck man.

Thanks a lot my dude. I remmeber back when I went to this colege in NY we got to play this stock simulator for like a week. I forgot it though. But does this follow the actual stock market but just with fake money?

That's exactly what it does.

Learning how to invest is a wonderful way to educate yourself. Hell, learning how to read and interpret 10K's and 10Q's is an invaluable skill in my opinion.
    french election has the global markets in a frenzy, s&p futures up over 1% right now and gold down over 1%.
    That's exactly what it does.

Learning how to invest is a wonderful way to educate yourself. Hell, learning how to read and interpret 10K's and 10Q's is an invaluable skill in my opinion.

I wished they taught that stock market game back in high school but then again, i went to p.o.s. public school :mad: . if i remember right, I believe i had saved up about $500+ by the time I was 17.

@BB_Hoody : http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/ to see upcoming IPOs. Pick an industry you are somewhat familiar with; play with it in that investopedia account.

"I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of the most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki
    For folks that wants to try Peer-to-peer lending investment: if u can afford to not touch your $$ for 36 months or more, here's some screenshot of what the Lending Club tool(one of the many p2p website out there) look like:
    ss1.png

Basically the Grade A-G is the ranking of loan notes from the most Safest/low interest--> riskiest_get rekt/high interest. You can decide how much each 'Note' is and it will be allocated according to your spec. I believe the minimum is $25.00. I set mines to $100. As you can see, there are preset ones and u can create a custom one. I customized mines so that it adds up to 99% allocation with 1% put aside for cash accumulation. You get this nifty overall summary:
    ss2.png

Obviously this is NOT for everyone; this investment vehicle requires time and you can't pull-out whenever. If you want to get your full $$ back; u need to stop the auto-investment with a click of a button(it's literally an off/on switch that takes 1 business day at most to take into effect) and wait for all the notes to be repaid etc.
    This is perfect for me because I just don't have the time nor patience for stock trading anymore but don't really want to lock extra $$ in an IRA/roth-wait-till-55-years-old deal. It's pretty sick seeing those monthly statement in the end seeing dat interest accumulate :tup: :tup: .
    Make it rain SRK!
    giphy.gif
    Hey. While this may not be much news to you all, A person I've been talking to at Minds.com has told me that they may soon make it possible to buy stocks with their company. I'll update you all as soon as I know more.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,870
    edited April 24
    How long are the loans for? Making $5 off of $100 is great if it is short term but over the course of an entire year it probably isn't worth it. I assume there are different amounts you can lend for different lengths of time.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    J-ride wrote: »
    I'm interested in putting some cash into minds.com, especially since youtube seems intent on burning itself to the ground. Honestly I have no idea why so many companies rise to the top and then have to start messing around with the formula that took them to the top in the first place. When google bought youtube they should have just left it as it was instead of trying to socially engineer everyone into a communist or whatever the fuck they are trying to do now.

Yea..that yt monetary policy update six months+ ago is still causing all sort of butthurt. It is harder now for up-and-coming youtuber to earn dat $$ and the popular ones need to monitor their uploaded vids because YT can disable the ad-$$ flag anytime.

@Richter 36 months.
    Anyone here self employed & has a retirement plan? I would like to have additional options to my Roth IRA for retirement.
    nasdaq breaches 6k for the first time ever. weve had 2 days in a row now with a super strong rally, french election just gave us the boost to continue the bull market.
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 527
    I hope some of you guys entertained the idea of crypto currency trading. When I first suggested it Bitcoin was at 1200-ish mark. Right now its sitting at 1600 USD.
    Other coins like Litecoin (LTC) was at 7, now 30.
    Etherium (ETH) was at 50, now 90.

Now the big coins to look at now are XRP, LTC, XMR, ETH, ETC, DASH for a long term play. Right now I think all the cryptos are on highs cause of news of other countries looking to adopt them into exchanging them as if they are money.
    Looking to buy into them once people take profits and a dip forms then hording them for the long term.

Other thing to note that this isnt a bubble as Bitcoin is losing its market dominance as these other lower end coins are giving Bitcoin a run for its money as they have better algorithms, transfers, security, etc.
    The biggest one to take over Bitcoin would be ETH.
    edited May 8
    I might grab some ETH and hold it for a while and see what happens, thanks for the tip. Are there penalties for transferring it back to cash?