Let's talk about money - The Finance Thread

1464748495052»

Comments

• EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey heads up! CLX and LOW have ex-dividend dates on Tues (this week). Monday is the last day to get in, and both are trending down currently so they might have a great day tomorrow. I'm thinking about flooding about 1K for each stock, we shall see!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel

• Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't know the first thing about stocks but I went ahead and opened a brokerage Roth IRA account via Vangaurd. I'm probably only going to toss $500-$600 into it this year because I'm paying off credit cards right now. My question is should I just let the account sit idle until I've saved up the 1-3 thousand dollars to buy a mutual found or should I buy stocks now?
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,492
    I don't know the first thing about stocks but I went ahead and opened a brokerage Roth IRA account via Vangaurd. I'm probably only going to toss $500-$600 into it this year because I'm paying off credit cards right now. My question is should I just let the account sit idle until I've saved up the 1-3 thousand dollars to buy a mutual found or should I buy stocks now?

First off, Congratulations! Welcome to the club homey! Vanguard is an excellent choice. Since you mentioned you are NOT familiar with stocks, i would recommend you to get index funds or etfs for now. Do not get into Mutual funds. Here's the list of what Vanguard offers for ETFs:

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list#/etf/asset-class/month-end-returns

Some general 'simplified' translation:
    Large cap- 'safest' --> Small cap-> 'riskiest'

The market has been bullish for a long-ass time so the majority of etfs are in the up and up; instruments that are naturally depressed(CDs, bonds etc) during bullish is also reflected in their index/etf version.

With regards to stock trading, use this to have general idea w/o using real $$.

http://www.investopedia.com/simulator/

BAIDU Earnings Conference meeting this Thursday y'all.

=============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

• Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,447

First off, Congratulations! Welcome to the club homey! Vanguard is an excellent choice. Since you mentioned you are NOT familiar with stocks, i would recommend you to get index funds or etfs for now. Do not get into Mutual funds.

I heartily agree. Especially for an IRA, which is a long-term investment vehicle, you'll be much better served (and diversified) with a low-fee index fund. Ignore the day-trading stuff some of the people in this thread are into.
    New Jersey
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Okay, thanks for the info.
    Also, there are many set-it-and-forget-it style. One way is something called three-fund portfolio.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

Bogleheads is an ode to John C. Bogle; father of index funds. He founded Vanguard Group :bow: :bow: .

Good luck meng.
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.

• merdocmerdoc Dont Get Shot. Joined: Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Any of you guys use WiseBanyan and if so, is it worth using it?
    Winning is Everything
    I use Robinhood and Acorns.

AMD slightly beats earnings but still takes a noise dive. Sorry Ken, this is proof that NVDA is bad news for both it and Intel. Around 12 dollars, however, the stock is a can't miss opportunity. LMT failed to beat earnings, so it dipped as well.

CAT was a win for me though. It's currently undervalued even with the +4.98% increase after CRUSHING earnings. They nailed it, and there's still time to get in before it becomes overpriced. I hope ABBV can beat earnings too because JNJ crushed theirs.

• JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,340
    edited October 25
    Just made a Vanguard acc for a retirement account. How should I go about this, fam? Looking for your sage like advice to give me an idea.

Thinking of going pretty much all into VOO, but not sure.
    Post edited by Joshkaz on
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/10/25/senate-votes-overturn-rule-consumers-suing-banks/797728001/

*Sigh*, yes the previous System gives winning lawyers tons of $$ if they win the class-action lawsuit but to outright ban consumers is beyond insane.

edited October 26
    Big day yall! Earnings reports are out for big time stocks. I hope yall made some money!

Amazon jumped 7.33% very much expected. They are just crushing it man, the stock is flooded with money and killing other businesses. I regret selling Amazon, wtf was I thinking? BUT I did buy Google, up 3.19%

BIDU is getting raped. Down $27 bucks, good thing I got out! WYNN beat earnings but currently it's standing pack. Fuck man what a day what day, UNH mysteriously jumped! Loloolololol this shit is nuts!

Intel beat earnings and jumped a little

• Ken34Ken34 a.k.a Mashima Taichi Joined: Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yup, shitty week for me. T, AMD, and biotechs all nosedived all at the same dam time. oh well, thats life.
    "True Strength is something Money and Credit cards cannot buy"
    It's not too late for NVDA Ken, I know you like money so it's time to roll with the big ballers. Analyst are predicting it's gonna top $350 and with the way AI is going I truly believe that. As long as AMD stays within that 12 dollar range I think that is a good price point.

The tech industry soared on high wings today. Every tech stock was up more than 3% at one point.

I find it insane that large-cap titan Amazon, with a 500+ Billion market cap, has its stock value go up in double-digits this week :wow: :wow: . This tech age is freaking insane. If i only i invested when it was just an 'online bookstore'..

giphy.gif

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    Amazon taking over. Bet that Amazon and Google will merge soon into either Amazon Google or Google Amazon...
    Damn AMD is looking quite bearish, while NVDA continues to stomp on. This might be an overreaction, but I read somewhere that it could drop to 5 bucks. I didn't want to believe it, but this might be a good buy now that everybody is panicking.

Ephidel wrote: »
    Damn AMD is looking quite bearish, while NVDA continues to stomp on. This might be an overreaction, but I read somewhere that it could drop to 5 bucks. I didn't want to believe it, but this might be a good buy now that everybody is panicking.

overreactions are always time to buy, as long as the fundamentals of the company havent changed, but the guidance was bad, so if anyone was planning to buy during this sell off, i wouldnt buy huge positions.
    edited November 4
    So Apple is at an all time high after earnings, not bad. I bought the stock at $152, but sold around $156 because I felt the money could be used elsewhere after discouraging Iphone X reports. However, I jumped back in around $155 or so and I have been holding on ever since. FAANG stocks are still a must buy, even with a looming bearish market hanging over our heads. The only FAANG stock I don't own is Amazon, it's because I feel like Alibaba is going to blow up and I can diversify that money. One could argue that NVDA is outpacing Netflix, so the N in FAANG should be "NVDA" lmao.

Anyway, here's my portfolio setup in a nutshell:

FANNG (FB, APPL, NFLX, NVDA, GOOGL)
    Microsoft and Alibaba round out my tech. I'm very tech savvy because I believe in it.

Health stocks (JNJ, ABT, ABBV)
    I want to put United Health somewhere in here later on. Tech and Health stocks are the primary focus on this portfolio.

Trump Supporters (XOM, BA, CAT, ED)
    Stocks composed of construction, energy, oil, and aerospace. All the things Trump wants to focus on.

Blue Chips (MCD, HD, PG, T, VZ, GM)
    Any portfolio setup loves blue chippers. Great dividends, decent growth, solid buy and holds.

Banks and Payments (WFC, BAC, V)
    I wouldn't mind adding Paypal and Square but since they don't pay dividends they don't really stack on what I'm trying to setup

Monthly Dividend stocks (STAG)
    Most of them center around real estate or business stuff. There's tons more like APLE, GLAD, MAIN, O, all that dividend stacking that contributes monthly payments

+17.93 growth today! Not bad
    Post edited by Ephidel on

edited November 6
    i got in LABU at $77, its a X3 leveraged etf of the XBI ETF which is biotechs.

its showing the h pattern which usually becomes a W pattern

chart.ashx?t=LABU&ty=c&ta=1&p=d&s=l

edit:
    AMD shares surge on a report of laptop chip deal with Intel to fight off Nvidia
    Post edited by Ken34 on
    AMD up 7.28%; it's back lol. Ken is still making that AMD money!

Disney jumped 2.03%, thanks to Thor I'm willing to bet. I knew this would happen, but since Disney has gone nowhere for months I was scarred jumping in because they have earnings coming up.

Ephidel wrote: »
    AMD up 7.28%; it's back lol. Ken is still making that AMD money!

Disney jumped 2.03%, thanks to Thor I'm willing to bet. I knew this would happen, but since Disney has gone nowhere for months I was scarred jumping in because they have earnings coming up.

nah disney was up because there is talks that they will buy most of fox's assets. pretty much a merger but not, this means the possibility of xmen characters making a come back in mvc may be upon us if the deal goes through
  • hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 9
    Those oil plays I was doing a while back didnt really amount to much, but some of my other stuff did...My account is up 60% in the past couple months (!, indeed). Almost all gains in weed stocks. Canada legalizes weed next summer and stocks have been rising topped off with a crazy little rally that sparked a week or so ago. This sector is spoiling me, if I dont get double digit % hikes I get bored, hahaa. The Canada rally seems about to die down after having gone parabolic, but US tickers look like they about to pop now. Cali is supposed to legalize Jan, so I am hoping for a rally in US names starting from ~ now to mid-Dec (we got a crazy US-wide rally last Nov after the elections which is what put me on to the sector in the first place). I really dont trust the US tickers (with the whole federally illegal thing), but they are starting to move again. Call me naive, but I am convinced that the Canadian tickers are going to go off next year. I am way overweight in TWMJF and MEDFF (grey market tickers for US traders on the two largest Canadian LPs) which both went parabolic. I am not saying to buy in now, just that I am going to be in all in on the Canadian LPs next year. I figure we will have some dips between now and then in the Canadian names. For US names I am in KSHB and MPXEF (CBICF) and a bunch of other crap, but I plan on being out of US early next year (although there are some Massachusetts plays for next summer). Lots of crazy US pennies too, but I dont really mess with those.

Anybody else paying attention to this sector?

And no, I dont smoke.
    megaprops to toyrobotterror for avatar gullysh*t
    SMG is on my watch list, so yeah it's definitely something to consider. Many would consider it risky though with all the feds watching. Once the legalization opens up more the money will start pouring in.

I gotta jump in Disney tomorrow. I hate chasing the market, but it's still quite undervalued

• hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 10
    For US names short term (mid-Dec) I am looking to enter MDCL, TRTC (just had a good 10Q running up to the Cali legalization but has been a persistent dog), DIGP, ITHUF (oh and hoping for GRWG to catch on). Despite federal status I expect money to pour. We will see.
    Post edited by hubcapsignstop on
    edited November 11
    Last weeks Canada rally was sparked by a US fortune 500 company buying a 10% stake in Canopy (TWMJF). This brought a good amount of visibility and the Canadian LPs seem to be consolidating so far rather than dropping. Money seems to be rotating around the top tier Canada tickers based on every little piece of known news that comes out. Aurora (ACBFF) just jumped 15% today after a slow and steady uptick over the last couple months. I honestly dont really know what to expect from the rise of a new industry borne of deregulation (and the Canadian Cos are poised for international domination). I would say the risk in getting into these Canadian Co.s at this moment is probably high, but at this point I am done selling off my Canadian LPs until next summer (holding my cores). Will buy on dips. We will see if I can trade this plan and see what happens.

And New Jersey mayor doing things here too...
    I was wrong the Canada rally is still going, just rotating into the 2nd tier LPs. MEDFF still going at +6.27%, ACBFF parabola continues up another 27.83% today, Aphria (APHQF) up 6.83%, Cannimed (CMMDF) up 7.22%, Harvest One (HRVOF) up 11.61%, Organigram (OGRMF) up 14.18%, Supreme (SPRWF) up 9%, Namaste (NXTTF) up 9.37%, ABCann (ABCCF) up 9.32%, Maricann (MRRCF) up 16.07%, Cronos (PRMCF) up 12.26%, THC Biomed (THCBF; a dog LP) is up 14%, Kalytera (KALTF; a dog canadian biotech) up ~40%. Canada is overshadowing the US rally. I am betting on Organigram and Supreme to follow through with a solid break out.
    The delays on this tax reform has investors spooked, most of everything is down right now on the US side. I don’t want to jump into too many international stocks, but I am still holding BABA. With that market cap it’s just a matter of time until they blow up. Stocks with great dividends aren’t hit as bad, especially since I did some dividend capturing last month. Gonna try to cut down the day trading though, otherwise taxes are gonna eat me up. Buy and hold is still my original plan, up to year you get that 0% ratio.

I’m already well diversed again, but I want to add Walmart, L Brands, and Chase to my account.

edited November 15
    Oh well; mainly dips yesterday to fill gaps. News of Aurora hostile takeover attempt of Cannimed (@ 4.53X with a cap of $24/share). After the parabolic run of ACBFF, this seems like a crazy deal if current price holds (I expect it will be pressured somewhat but not be decimated due to the terms of the proposal - 4.53X or $24 whichever is cheaper). I am going to put in limit order for cheap CMMDF this morning. Will prob be halted although sometime the grey market tickers dont halt when they otherwise should.
    Walmart up almost 10% an excellent, well timed buy! Most of all retail stocks are up right now, and the market is back to being bullish again.

BTW, I sold off Netflix. I might regret this now (especially since it’s up 2%) but it’s my LEAST favorite FANG stock. Go long on Disney, Netflix business model is entirely sold on streaming. The stock is trending overpriced value and Disney still owns all those other markets. NVDA is your N in FANG

Alibaba is about to breakout. I feel it man, it's up again anothter 1.55%

It's not too late to jump in yet. Better do it before it hits $200 lol

edited November 22
    My new portfolio setup:

FANG (FB, APPL, NVDA, GOOGL)
    Here's my version of FAANG. It lacks Amazon, but I still have BABA and MSFT to compensate. NVDA is outperforming Netflix, Intel, and AMD. I sold off Netflix because it's
    my LEAST favorite FAANG stock. GOOGL still owns youtube at the end of the day, so I'm covered there.

Health Stocks (ABBV, JNJ, ABT)
    No change. United Health is still on my watchlist, but it's becoming a little too overpriced for my liking. Portola is still very risky until they get another drug approved.

Trump Supporters (BA, XOM, CAT, ED)
    No change here either. Everything this administration wants to emphasize: oil, energy, warfare, aerospace, etc. Oil has slid a bit lately though.

Banks and Payments (V, SQ, JPM)
    I thought about adding Paypal here too, but SQ was too good to pass up. Turned BAC and WFC into JPM, the more popular bank. Everybody uses Visa.

Monthly Dividend Stocks (MAIN, STAG, APLE, GLAD, SPHD, O)
    I did some homework and found that these are pretty much the best Monthly Dividend stocks, dividend stacking helps reduce the damage on those dips.

Blue Chippers (MCD, SBUX, WMT, HD, PEP, F, PG, SMG, T, DIS)
    Everything is here. McDonalds, Starbucks, Pepsi, Ford (got 8 shares of that), PG, T, these are blue chip stocks. Buy and hold them. Simple.

Strong portfolio, it hits a lot of markets and well diversified. The only weakness I see is not enough ETFs, so I'm thinking about adding ROBO.