Is there a Dragon Ball Z thread? If not...

BBCampbellBBCampbell Busy bein' DELICIOUSJoined: Posts: 514
Rock the Dragon... (Dragon Ball Z thread)

EDIT: Renamed...

CHAAAAAAAAANGE NOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!

Just copped Season 2 of DBZ. I missed a lot of this show when it was on (I watched the hell out of the "Next Dimension"/"OVER 9000!!!!" dub back in 95, but I really didn't see much past the whole Ginyu/Goku switch), and actually now I'm glad I didn't.

I LOVE the option to watch the dub with the OG Japanese BGM. (Call me weird, but trying to listen to the Japanese track throws me off a little. I usually watch anime with the dub track on, but with subtitles to see what they're REALLY supposed to be saying. I can't explain why, but that's just my preference.)

Anyway, I find it astounding that the simple act of changing the original background music makes DBZ a different show. Instead of a "I'm trying really, REALLY hard to be bad-ass" feel to the show, the show actually gains a lot of heart and feeling.

Anyway, Season 2 ends where I left off: Ginyu is a frog and Kuririn & Gohan are in Saiyan armor.

I only wish that FUNimation would give us the Ocean Group Dub that the UK got. I don't care about recycled (Super Fighitng Robot) Megaman BGMs or censorship, I just want to hear Brian Drummond as Vegeta, Scott McNeil as Piccolo & Terry Klassen as Kuririn again.
Chun-Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his life. You had him shot as you ran away... a hero at a thousand paces.
Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
For me... It was Tuesday...

Comments

• TaichiTaichi Fuck Heroics. Joined: Posts: 1,462
    subtitles are no more accurate than dubs, because it's still a TRANSLATION, yo.
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
    Member- SRK Cobra Kai. "GET 'IM A BODY BAG!"
  • AzraelAzrael Epic Calling! Joined: Posts: 3,258
    ^Yeah, but Funimation mistranslated A LOT of stuff, and liberally added lines as well. There were a lot of serious moments that got turned into slapstick in the Funi dub.

...But I'm betting this thread will be closed in favor of the anime thread anyway.

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,874
    Cell>All DBZ villains.

Super Buu and Dabura are exceptions though...
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • .Free..Free. I am the HNIC Joined: Posts: 808
    The episodes with Frieza got me into Dragon Ball after those battles and Goku turning into SS for the first time i was hooked.... I like Freeza more than all villians... i like garlic Jr. also.
    PAD WARRIOR 4 LIFE
  • Se7inSe7in Holler. Joined: Posts: 590
    The Best Fights of the Entire Series were:

1. Vegeta vs. Recoome

2. Krillen, Pic, Gohan, Tien, and Chaotzu vs. Nappa
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    "Patiently.... Cell Waits.... Next Time On Dragonball Z!"

*Eyes closed and Arms folded while standing in the middle of the ring*

Badass.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    see, there's just too much stuff out I want to buy. I still don't have the first season yet, now I have to get season 2 as well. The first one is more important to me, as I think that saiyan saga was better....that first Vegeta VA and Zarbon were the best out of the entire show.

I'm curious...did the first season include Radditz? ...that wasn't really a high point for me. Radditz = lame....especially compared to everything else that happened after him.
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,350
    I agree,Raditz was lame...

Anyway,I heard Funimation really fucked up with Vegeta's death and didn't keep it consistent because when he got shot by Frieza he was supposed to die.I never understood that part.Did h dies when the planet exploded,or did Gohan take him back to the ship?
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I agree,Raditz was lame...

Anyway,I heard Funimation really fucked up with Vegeta's death and didn't keep it consistent because when he got shot by Frieza he was supposed to die.I never understood that part.Did h dies when the planet exploded,or did Gohan take him back to the ship?

Vegita died shortly after Freezer shot him.........He basically died in Goku's arms.
    Vegita was resurrected after Dende made the wish to bring back all the people Freezer killed to life.

Another thing..........I didn't know Ocean dubbed the whole DBZ series. I was watching the episode where Buu arrived at Kami's place. The music sucked as usual..........

I still feel that Ocean >> Funi's dub. Scott McNeil is on fire.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • {PFH}-Lake{PFH}-Lake Joined: Posts: 2,053
    Cell>All DBZ villains.

Super Buu and Dabura are exceptions though...
    cept for the fact the cell saga was lame, and seemed like they were running out of ideas.
    Starcraft 2 profile, hecatomb code 298
  • HoonyoHoonyo Joined: Posts: 1,514
    what i hated about the dbz dub post-ocean group is the raspy voices. they kinda had this california surfer dude irritability about them. it's been a while since i've seen the dbz dub so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    the voice acting is much better dubbed, i tried watching the jap voice acting, and every character sounded like their balls havent dropped yet. I think cell saga was the best, with frieza right behind them.
  • semijuggalosemijuggalo Joined: Posts: 577
    There's plenty of clips of the Ocean dub on YouTube. I've heard stories about an alternate English dub that continued to use the Ocean Studios voice actors, but I've never found any until YouTube came along. Well, all the stories are true, but this alternate dub ended up recycling background music from that crappy old Mega Man cartoon!

Anyway, here's some clips.

- FACT: #18 is voiced by that black chick from House of the Dead. Don't believe me? Go check imdb!

- They can't use words involving death in the show, so Vegeta can't say "Never say die!"
    -RIP Mom (1954-2013), you were my greatest inspiration and source of encouragement.
    -Never let the fire of your creativity burn out.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,945
    I have always preffered Freezia to all theo other villians, because when he start going through multiple transformations that shit was original. Also the entire Namek Saga while long, the story did give more than one or two characters moments to shine. Even if it was only for like two seconds.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • AzraelAzrael Epic Calling! Joined: Posts: 3,258
    the voice acting is much better dubbed, i tried watching the jap voice acting, and every character sounded like their balls havent dropped yet. I think cell saga was the best, with frieza right behind them.
    I hate it when people say this, because it just doesn't take the whole picture into account.

The only thing I can really say is - if The Simpsons were to age 10 years, would you accept anyone other than Nancy Cartwright playing Bart Simpson? Would it be weird to keep her on as the voice she has literally defined?

That is why the Japanese voices sound strange at first.

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• tempesttempest walking death Joined: Posts: 298
    I hate it when people say this, because it just doesn't take the whole picture into account.

The only thing I can really say is - if The Simpsons were to age 10 years, would you accept anyone other than Nancy Cartwright playing Bart Simpson? Would it be weird to keep her on as the voice she has literally defined?

different strokes for different folks, i mean i'm all japnese when watching anime, but lets be honest .. goku voice in japnesse sucks.... but i do understand what your saying alot people on here think kenshin dub was great.. i'm like wtf!!! kenshin dub voice alone is one of the worse i have ever heard.

my own question is how bad is the picture and animation in these sets i heard alot of conflicting reports.

but can't wait for onepiece sets come out. peace

man does not control his fate but he can fight againest it
  • BBCampbellBBCampbell Busy bein' DELICIOUS Joined: Posts: 514
    The only thing I can really say is - if The Simpsons were to age 10 years, would you accept anyone other than Nancy Cartwright playing Bart Simpson?

Yes.

Well, if Nancy Cartwright could age her voice from a 10-year-old boy to a 20-year-old man and keep it there consistently, then I'd rather her still be around, but I honestly don't think that's possible.

Anyway, I think that the English dub of DBZ suffers because they pulled the plug early on Dragon Ball (after only the Pilaf saga), so between DB and DBZ in the US, we never met Kuririn, Lunch (who initially got cut from the US series), Uranai Baba, Hacchan, Arale (Dr. Slump the manga is being published here now, but I don't know if the anime will ever get picked up), Tenshinhan (who was strangely called Tien), Tao Pai Pai (Who became "General Tao" in the dub), Chaozu, Tsuru-sennin, Yajirobe, Piccolo Daimao and "Ma Jr."

Thus, in the Saiyan saga, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, & Yajirobe are nameless jobbers and Piccolo was always a good guy, just a little grumpy. Also of note is how they changed Piccolo's dialogue to be more sympathetic to Gohan as opposed to "I can't wait to kill you, you know." and "I'm only helping to save the world because I want it for myself."

Switching gears to dub comparison:

While Justin "Yusuke Uramehsi" Cook's Raditz was bearable, he's nothing compared to Jason "Joe Higashi/Yusuke Godai" Gray-Stanford's Raditz.

And in terms of Goku's voices, my order of preference is:

Ian Corlett
    Sean Schemmel
    Kirby Morrow (Seems to be the next logical choice for Ian Corlett roles, since he doesn't do dubs anymore)
    Peter Kelamis (fucking terrible, though to his credit, his screams are pretty close to Masako Nozawa's)
    Chun-Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his life. You had him shot as you ran away... a hero at a thousand paces.
    Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
  • semijuggalosemijuggalo Joined: Posts: 577
    WTF?! Peter Kelamis was the shit in World's Strongest! Too bad his best performance was in just that movie, though.
    -RIP Mom (1954-2013), you were my greatest inspiration and source of encouragement.
    -Never let the fire of your creativity burn out.
  • FallingEdgeFallingEdge Unblockable elbow Joined: Posts: 3,302
    I'm just waiting till they release the Cell Saga on DVD. I'm gonna be all over that.
    Microphone checka, swingin' sword lecture
    Closin' down the sector, supreme neck protector

Extra Fresh League - Colorado fighting game scene
    http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/
    http://twitter.com/fallingedge
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It is possible for different voices to be great or even better. I would most likely hate Goku's jpn voice even if that was the one I heard first....same goes for teen/adult Gohan. Dude was about 18 or so and sounded like a 4 year old japanese girl....get outta here with that.
    Yes.

Well, if Nancy Cartwright could age her voice from a 10-year-old boy to a 20-year-old man and keep it there consistently, then I'd rather her still be around, but I honestly don't think that's possible.

Anyway, I think that the English dub of DBZ suffers because they pulled the plug early on Dragon Ball (after only the Pilaf saga), so between DB and DBZ in the US, we never met Kuririn, Lunch (who initially got cut from the US series), Uranai Baba, Hacchan, Arale (Dr. Slump the manga is being published here now, but I don't know if the anime will ever get picked up), Tenshinhan (who was strangely called Tien), Tao Pai Pai (Who became "General Tao" in the dub), Chaozu, Tsuru-sennin, Yajirobe, Piccolo Daimao and "Ma Jr."

Thus, in the Saiyan saga, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, & Yajirobe are nameless jobbers and Piccolo was always a good guy, just a little grumpy. Also of note is how they changed Piccolo's dialogue to be more sympathetic to Gohan as opposed to "I can't wait to kill you, you know." and "I'm only helping to save the world because I want it for myself."

Switching gears to dub comparison:

While Justin "Yusuke Uramehsi" Cook's Raditz was bearable, he's nothing compared to Jason "Joe Higashi/Yusuke Godai" Gray-Stanford's Raditz.

And in terms of Goku's voices, my order of preference is:

Ian Corlett
    Sean Schemmel
    Kirby Morrow (Seems to be the next logical choice for Ian Corlett roles, since he doesn't do dubs anymore)
    Peter Kelamis (fucking terrible, though to his credit, his screams are pretty close to Masako Nozawa's)

no offense i don't see how the dub suffers when they stop showing dragonball. on tv

• Team CableTeam Cable Girth From Birth Joined: Posts: 236
    I used to think Dragon Ball was good until I started watching real anime.

You don't need three or four episodes to do one fight. Yeah, those fight scenes were ridiculous, a bad guys sits back while the heroes "train" or level up against lesser opponents.

Meanwhile the bad guy says like three lines the entire episode and before you know it we have a lame-ass To Be Continued. It took me a few months to to realize this and say to myself, "what the fuck was that?"
    DailyGirth.com The r(E)volution of News and Media.
    http://www.facebook.com/DailyGirth

Sports, comedy, movies, video games, anime, commentary, '80s and '90s cartoons, comic books. Check it out.
    I'm just waiting till they release the Cell Saga on DVD. I'm gonna be all over that.

i'm with ya that the only one i really want buy , and maybe the other down the line.

• ShinAkumaxShinAkumax Slick Vic Avatar Joined: Posts: 2,055
    I'm still angry about Yamcha.
    This becomes that.
  • BBCampbellBBCampbell Busy bein' DELICIOUS Joined: Posts: 514
    WTF?! Peter Kelamis was the shit in World's Strongest! Too bad his best performance was in just that movie, though.

Agreed. But still... You can't say an actor is good just because he managed to turn in one good performance...
    no offense i don't see how the dub suffers when they stop showing dragonball. on tv

What I mean is that back in 1995, the first 13 eps and the first movie of Dragon Ball were dubbed an aired on syndicated TV. Most of you never saw it because it was on at like 5:30 on Saturday morning. It didn't do too well (I wonder why...), so FUNimation skipped ahead to the more action-oriented Dragon Ball Z (Dragon Ball was more comedy and gag-oriented up until the Piccolo Daimao saga)

It's literally skipping from Chapter 2 in a book to Chapter 17 (The corresponding chapters of the manga.)
    I used to think Dragon Ball was good until I started watching real anime.

You don't need three or four episodes to do one fight. Yeah, those fight scenes were ridiculous, a bad guys sits back while the heroes "train" or level up against lesser opponents.

Meanwhile the bad guy says like three lines the entire episode and before you know it we have a lame-ass To Be Continued. It took me a few months to to realize this and say to myself, "what the fuck was that?"

Hi. 1997 called, it wants it complaints about Dragon Ball Z back.

also, were not in Japan. so why the fuck would you want to watch it like that.:wonder:
    I just dont feel there is enough emotion compared to the US voice

and plus im not japanese.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,310
    i have to say that the japanese narrator shows the difference btween the two versions

but the goku's japanese voice is deffinetly db fan service

i dont like the things say about dbz, i dont understand the negativity, theres no anime like it, or anything as a matter of fact
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    the greatest scene in all of dbz is gohan going ssj2 in japanese.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • ytwojayytwojay Banned Joined: Posts: 2,035
    Can someone explain to me how the Cell story arc ends? That's where I stopped watching.

I remember something about Cell trying to absorb the androids to get stronger?
    I rarely drive steamboats, dad.
    Can someone explain to me how the Cell story arc ends? That's where I stopped watching.

I remember something about Cell trying to absorb the androids to get stronger?

lol jesus...where do we start? you should just wiki that saga...cell saga is like 3 sagas in one.

androids/cell/perfect cell/aftermath

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Always felt they fucked up the Majin Buu sage. . .I mean first Trunks/Goten were supposed to save the world, and be the new generation but fail.....then Gohan gets his powers unleashed and has to save them and then he fails after the drawn out 10 episodes of him getting to full power, and the father son thing they played out.....then the Goku/Vegeta ultimate fusion which ends up not working. . . .to the final battle againest Kid Buu that ends with a spirit bomb . . . always felt they should have had Gohan ended it myself. . .
  • ShinkuuRShinkuuR Still Pissed Joined: Posts: 1,070
    Always felt they fucked up the Majin Buu sage. . .I mean first Trunks/Goten were supposed to save the world, and be the new generation but fail.....then Gohan gets his powers unleashed and has to save them and then he fails after the drawn out 10 episodes of him getting to full power, and the father son thing they played out.....then the Goku/Vegeta ultimate fusion which ends up not working. . . .to the final battle againest Kid Buu that ends with a spirit bomb . . . always felt they should have had Gohan ended it myself. . .

There wasn't supposed to be a Buu saga originally. Wasn't supposed to be a Cell Saga either IIRC, since I heard that Toriyama wanted to stop after Frieza(but the fans wanted it to keep going or something).

As far as the sub/dub issue goes, I watched them when they first started on CN with some friends in college, but then we got some imported tapes of sub DBZ and watched ahead lol. I liked both versions of it because they were different interpretations of it(Dub was very hard edged and tense all the time, while the Sub was more...humanitarian and showed more drama). I guess it's mostly due to the music.

Anyway, which release of the DVDs would I need to get the Ocean Group dubbings plus the original japanese track?(since the dubbing in the new ones suck. :sad:)
    Being the only person to follow the rules, and then getting mocked relentlessly by my peers for it... that's the kind of shit that creates supervillans.
    -Shaft Agent

SF4 Rose matches: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShinkuuR
    Tien is the best. No joke.

The humans became useless after the Cell Saga. I hated that shit.
  • Hokuto ShingoHokuto Shingo It'll Do Joined: Posts: 845
    "Feel my Wolf Fang Fist!!!" - Yamcha a.k.a. the best character in the series.
    |Member of Team Unblockable|
    "And then the boss busted out some crazy intricate broken combo, and she was like "Oh yeah, I know that one. But you need to cancel the low kick into the overhead on the 5th hit, not the 6th. Does more damage. Yep." ~ PK Mays
    "Feel my Wolf Fang Fist!!!" - Yamcha a.k.a. the best character in the series.

one of the many reasons db>dbz

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Tien is the best. No joke.

The humans became useless after the Cell Saga. I hated that shit.

Only human i can think of is Uub. . . .and that's DBGT. . . .maybe 18 if you count her
  • 2pacnbiggie2pacnbiggie Fuck Jay Z Joined: Posts: 159
    Cell probably was the best villain of the series, buu (fat buu) was the funniest

my fav saga was the cell saga followed closely by the buu saga, it woulda been better if some of the ideas for buu werent rip offs of the cell saga like him bein able to regenerate and comin back to life after near death...but overall i enjoyed both of em

i didnt care for the garlic jr saga
    www.twitter.com/sedp23
    Only human i can think of is Uub. . . .and that's DBGT. . . .maybe 18 if you count her

i really dont count ubuu as human since he's a reborn buu. umm 18 is an android.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    i really dont count ubuu as human since he's a reborn buu. umm 18 is an android.

Yeah. . .well Uub does have human parents. . . .and I always thought 18 was wished to a human/ she was once a human and Dr. Gero changed her to an android. . . that's how she could have a kid. . . .
  • 2pacnbiggie2pacnbiggie Fuck Jay Z Joined: Posts: 159
    isnt krillin a human? if not what race is he?

and what the hell is tien?

and the androids where half human half machine...did they ever explain how they got converted to half androids? did gero kidnap em or something?

and i forgot about super 17 too if u wanna talk about gt hes up there with the best villains too
    www.twitter.com/sedp23