Is there a Dragon Ball Z thread? If not...

Comments

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gundam has as much support as DB/DBZ.Akira Toriyama just probably wanted it to be over.

Akira wanted DBZ to end after the Freeza saga.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    man i dont understand why gundam continued to make their sequal up till today, but not DB/DBZ when it got more fans, support and profit out of it...i want more DB/DBZ!!!
    Toriyama wanted to end DB with the destruction of Namek. That's why most of the main characters were dead and Gohan was the Z-Warrior left to defend Earth. However, he was persuaded ($$$) to stay on, so he cooked up some technicalities to keep the series going. Then he wanted to keep Gohan as the main character and retire Goku, hence the end of the Cell saga. But once again, he was persuaded ($$$) to bring Goku back for the Buu saga. Finally, Toriyama insisted on ending the series once that was over.

Then, of course, Toei decided they wanted to do more episodes of the show--which Toriyama agreed to, though he didn't want to do anymore issues of the comic and would only do character designs for the show. It turned out VERY awful, and they rightly ended the series in 1997.

Perhaps that's why the Freeza saga is my favorite. It's the last one that really gelled with the series, and wasn't just tacked on to make more money. And I really can't see the wisdom in pushing the series even further at this point.
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Which Spanish dub do you speak of?

I only saw one, but it was great. Voice acting was good, and it was basically the uncensored Japanese version with the OG music- but in Spanish.
    I only saw one, but it was great. Voice acting was good, and it was basically the uncensored Japanese version with the OG music- but in Spanish.

I saw that too. It was on channel 57 here in Tampa (Telemundo). And they didn't cut whole eps out either. Reception was ultra-shitty (I had to watch each ep standing and holding the antenna in my hand...Fox viewing position).
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Re: Japanese Voices

The thing is, America started with DBZ, with all of the characters already grown up. DB was an afterthought, like "Hey, see how it all started!" But in Japan, everything started with Dragon Ball.

that's incorrect, dragon ball came to american shores before dbz but it was never finished, also at really weird hours.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • AzraelAzrael Epic Calling! Joined: Posts: 3,258
    that's incorrect, dragon ball came to american shores before dbz but it was never finished, also at really weird hours.

I know. The Harmony Gold dub. They only did one season (I think), and you're right, it used to air like Saturdays at 5AM.

They only did the one season, and then Funimation picked up DBZ and under the Pioneer's supervision, dubbed it up to halfway through the Freeza Saga. Much like the Harmony Gold dub, it was plagued with horrible/inconsistant airtimes. Not to mention that the show would frequently re-start from "The Arrival of Raditz" whenever Funi ran out of dubbed episodes. Pretty much, the only people who watched were the people who already knew about the show. And all these people hated it for the vast changes it made from the original Japanese version.

DBZ didn't catch on until CN picked it up and gave it a GREAT timeslot, everyday weekday at 5. This is where the show finally picked up steam, and attracted new viewers in America. However, as I said before, these people all came into the show on DBZ - they'd never seen, much less heard of, Dragon Ball. Funi went back and dubbed DB (didn't they?) but it was more of an afterthought. In America, Dragon Ball IS DBZ.

I personally like DB > DBZ. The fights were a lot better - less "I need to over-power you!" and more emphasis on actual fighting/techniques.

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• semijuggalosemijuggalo Joined: Posts: 577
    Az, you forgot about FUNi's original DB dub (Summer 1995-96), which was done years after Harmony Gold. It was distributed by Seagull Entertainment. Yes, the same company that previously helped DiC put Sailor Moon on the air in the states.

They only did one season of that. Unfortunately, this was because anime was originally looked at as mere filler for syndicated cartoon lineups, thus it was canned after the first 13 episodes (Krillin was supposed to show up in the very next ep)! FUNi decided to bring DBZ over early, banking on it as a sure-fire hit.

The rest is history.

*EDIT* I'd like to add that the manga is better overall. If only the anime was paced as well as it was......

*EDIT* I wonder if FUNi ever released those first 13 eps uncut and uncensored? That's all depending on whether or not Vidmark's family entertainment label, Kidmark ever lost the video distribution rights to those eps.
    -RIP Mom (1954-2013), you were my greatest inspiration and source of encouragement.
    -Never let the fire of your creativity burn out.
    Az, you forgot about FUNi's original DB dub (Summer 1995-96), which was done years after Harmony Gold. It was distributed by Seagull Entertainment. Yes, the same company that previously helped DiC put Sailor Moon on the air in the states.

They only did one season of that. Unfortunately, since anime was originally looked at as mere filler for syndicated cartoon lineups, it was canned after the first 13 episodes (Krillin was supposed to show up in the very next ep)! FUNi decided to bring DBZ over early, banking on it as a sure-fire hit.

*EDIT* I'd like to add that the manga is better overall. If only the anime was paced as well as it was......

that songs kinda hot...i forgot about that version of theme song.

the first tournament with goku and krillin in db was too beastly. Some guy would use his bad smell against krillin then half way through the fight krillin remembered he had no nose lol. :rofl::rofl:

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    I always loved the english version of Romantic Ageru Yo...didn't they use that for an rpg?

Be as free as you can be, a childlike love of fantasy,
    The world is a mystery for you and me.
    A miracle, an adventure too, a single wish waits for you,
    The beating of your heart will see you through.

When you think you can?t go on, give it another try,
    The power of your youth is strong, and as big as the sky.
    Search all over the valley, the mountains and you?ll see
    believing in yourself sets you free!

Come on, I?ll give you romance!
    Come on, I?ll give you paradise!
    Liberate the ?you? that you keep inside.
    Come on, I?ll give you romance!
    Come on, I?ll give you paradise!
    Make your dreams come true; you?ll see fantasy
    magic can happen to youuuu
    Speaking of that song, I saw randomly on MTV Japan some pop singer had done a re-make of the song...and she even re-created the scenes from the DB ending animation in her video! They had her with the Bulma hairtsyles, looking out the rainy window, riding the motorcycle, in the Capsule House...she even had a dragon radar.

It was...surreal.

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That dub of DB was actually sorta good. It was clearly censored beyond belief, though they did manage to keep in a few good jokes...like Oolong discovering that Goku in drag wasn't a girl by watching him pee etc, but I liked the music and the voices and the presentation. I was one of relatively few who watched that first dub season of DB before seeing DBZ, and I though Dragon Ball was the shit.

Edit: also, that intro will always be tight.

Edit2: Az, REMEMBER THE NAME. I need to see that shit.
    db dubs any carnation are watchable...the same cant be said about dbz.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Anybody ever see this? It's DB fanart by many famous manga creators!
    -RIP Mom (1954-2013), you were my greatest inspiration and source of encouragement.

alot of those pics are very boring..i liked Eichiro Oda's perspective.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Speaking of that song, I saw randomly on MTV Japan some pop singer had done a re-make of the song...and she even re-created the scenes from the DB ending animation in her video! They had her with the Bulma hairtsyles, looking out the rainy window, riding the motorcycle, in the Capsule House...she even had a dragon radar.

It was...surreal.

^LOL, I was just coming to post that.

Torem_Kamina:

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I like Tite's rendition..................Zaraki Piccolo!
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske

very cute....but why is she driving a bus lol.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,352
    I was wondering why Trunks looked similar to Ichigo.

Wasn't really paying attention,but those are all nice pictures.At least they are showing respect.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    I was wondering why Trunks looked similar to Ichigo.

Wasn't really paying attention,but those are all nice pictures.At least they are showing respect.

you will see parrallels to dbz to bleach and naruto cuz they were huge fans as kids/teens.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • ViciousSLASHViciousSLASH Game Time Jones Joined: Posts: 7,509
    The one guy drew Piccolo EXTRA happy which was funny.

Eiichiro Oda drew Goku just like Luffy, except on a cloud with Nami's stick.
    http://michaelpfeffer.blogspot.com I don't even update this, who cares
  • ShukudaShukuda Joined: Posts: 218
    Well DB/DBZ is pretty legendary. Hopefully it'll get revived sometime in the future...cause I need to clear out some DBZ merchandise.

Did they really have to drag everything out in the anime? Fecking fillers.
    Nagis-Nida-Cago-Basa-Niughtmae-Pryesu!
    Well DB/DBZ is pretty legendary. Hopefully it'll get revived sometime in the future...cause I need to clear out some DBZ merchandise.

Did they really have to drag everything out in the anime? Fecking fillers.

One of the fillers is one of the best episodes, when Piccolo and Goku learn to drive.

That was a hilarious episode.

Driving instructor :CUT THE STEERING!

*chop!*

AHHHHH!!!!

Goku : lol
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,352
    That was a great episode.

They were wondering about why the should learn how to drive when they can just fly anywhere. :rofl:
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    that episode verified that piccolo was really black. he came mid 90's thugged out.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Which version of Cell did Vegeta shoot a Final Flash at? A Cell Jr. hax'd by grabbing a Final Flash blast and punting it away (IIRC). If it wasn't Perfect Cell I say it should've taken out more of him.

Perfect Cell one. The one that could be seen from space. It was a direct hit (Cell didn't try and dodge trying to be badass) and it only took off his upper right torso.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJ7E2dqCyNE
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Perfect Cell one. The one that could be seen from space. It was a direct hit (Cell didn't try and dodge trying to be badass) and it only took off his upper right torso.

Yeah that made no sense, he took out half that whole part of the planet and yet Cell was like "You only hit my shoulder because the writers said so"

lol @ cell saying shit before being hit.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

Yeah? Well, what about Goku hitting Cell with the Warp Kamehameha? He blew his entire upper-body into oblivion, yet when he comes back after self-destructing later, he says that as long as his nucleus (located in his head) was undamaged, he could survive anything!

Talk about your plot holes!

FUNi's version does something much more believeable, and has him say that he could regenerate from any surviving body cells.
    IMHO that's what made Cell so lame. They beat him several times - its was just that his regeneration glitch kept him coming back. Freeza just straight-up took heavy shots and kept coming back.

Also, is Funi actually respected as a dubbing company now? Wow, things have CHANGED since I got out of the scene.

Torem_Kamina:

IMHO that's what made Cell so lame. They beat him several times - its was just that his regeneration glitch kept him coming back. Freeza just straight-up took heavy shots and kept coming back.

Also, is Funi actually respected as a dubbing company now? Wow, things have CHANGED since I got out of the scene.

like i have said 4kids is where funimation was a decade or so ago. back then funimation was the devil and it was inconceivable of them getting any show we loved...now we beg for them to have them.

cell regeneration glitch is because of piccolo.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,874
    Cell=Wolverine lol

Buu is like 100X worse than Cell. I mean Vegeta went Supernova on his ass and he just pulled himself back together.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • WolfkillerWolfkiller Equal Opportunity Destroyer Joined: Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This thread brings back memories. Every day after high school we'd all walk to my house and watch DBZ and Batman:TAS (I think that was on after DBZ anyways) on Toonami. Those were the fucking days.
    Shin-Mech-Brian: As I walk through, I look up and see Chun-Li holding my son and she says, "arrest him!" Ronald McDonald pulls up from behind me and put me in handcuffs. I ask why I'm being arrested and he says, "I'm under arrest for killing Santa Clause."
  • TheSixTheSix Good Ol'Gil Joined: Posts: 1,367
    "......you touched a dragon ball! Didn't I explicitly say to NOT touch the dragon balls during this exercise? Well....DIDN'T I!"

......OK!

Bam!
    Aw, finally, Ol'Gil's moving up to the big leagues, boy! Ow! My back! HA-HA, Owwwww....
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah? Well, what about Goku hitting Cell with the Warp Kamehameha? He blew his entire upper-body into oblivion, yet when he comes back after self-destructing later, he says that as long as his nucleus (located in his head) was undamaged, he could survive anything!

Talk about your plot holes!

FUNi's version does something much more believeable, and has him say that he could regenerate from any surviving body cells.

That wasn't a plot hole, I actually liked that because it showed the power he had and his resilience. His name is Cell afterall.

The Final Flash thing however didn't make sense being that it was a direct hit.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    the first tournament with goku and krillin in db was too beastly. Some guy would use his bad smell against krillin then half way through the fight krillin remembered he had no nose lol. :rofl::rofl:
    God, that dude was nasty. He would dip his hand into his shorts and fling the sweat at his opponent. I still get a little queasy thinking about that particular battle.
  • m121akumam121akuma Power to Tearer Joined: Posts: 1,993
    Snip
    I wouldn't have nearly as big a problem with Funi's release if the new Japanese DVD's were widescreen as well, but they aren't. They're remastered fullscreen. I dunno if Toei's just being a bitch and not releasing the Dragonbox footage to Funi, or if this was Funi's own decision, but either way, it's bullshit.

Word on the subs though. Steve Simmons rocks. I guaran-damn-tee you'll get more out of the story if you watch the subtitled version. Way fucking better translation.
    Me: You want a new console game? That's nice. Here's a new arcade version. Keep those petitions coming, we need more toilet paper
    FurryCurry: lol. make that your srk sig.
    Me: Done and done
  • TrunksSS3TrunksSS3 S3ntinel DestroysALL Joined: Posts: 312
    i didnt even know DBZ seasons were out on DVD...since when?
    Member of -=Team Decepticons=-

PSN Gamertag - S3ntinel2001
    XBL MvC2 Gamertag - Potter2010
    U think you can stop me?..... just try to!
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,953
    I read about the DBZ games before, but I was one of the few that actually saw DB when it first aired back in the day. The eventual jump from DB first couple of episodes to DBZ beginnings was jarring as fuck. Although it did sort of make me appreciate the DB episodes better when I eventually got to see them.

IMO, as a whole DB > DBZ >>> DBGT.

Anyone else think that Goku was a douche after watching DBZ. I loved the kid in DB, but after the Cell game begins he becomes the series biggest asshole.

As cool as it was seeing Gohan kick ass at the end of the Cell Saga, Goku's reasoning for staying dead was weak. Hell, it was a bit of dick move to transport Cell to King Kai's planet to begin with.

It only got worst in the Buu saga. Him not killing off Buu when he had the chance, mutiple times and him abandoning his family (for the second or third time) to train Uub at the end. Dude went from being my favorite to the nigga I hate to see on the screen.

GT was just an abomination and is probably the reason we haven't seen anyone else try to tackle picking up a new DBZ series either set in the future or during the time gaps.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • Power Man FoxPower Man Fox Man's natural enemy Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Oh man i miss dbz so much :sad: I remember racing home from school just to see it.
    I always felt bad for vegeta though, because no matter how hard he tried, goku was just always out of reach.
    Good thread!
    Go read Liar Game, you'll thank me later.