The Doctor Who Thread

RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.DJoined: Posts: 37,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
Anyone watch this besides me? Is the older series worth watching?

Comments

• RagetowersrageRagetowersrage Poots on Newts Joined: Posts: 47
    Never seen much of the older stuff, but the new shit is tight.

Love the "Blink" episode. those other two where Doc and Martha are in 1930 were bullshit. I think they are trying to push the whole realationship business with them a little too hard.

With Rose, whom I wouldn't mind giving a nice hard dicking to, they at least waited a season before trying it, letting the characters develop together. Instead of just "Hey how's it goin? I'm from space! Wanna be my girl friend?"

But yea, The Doctor is cool in my book any day :tup:
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Never seen much of the older stuff, but the new shit is tight.

Love the "Blink" episode. those other two where Doc and Martha are in 1930 were bullshit. I think they are trying to push the whole realationship business with them a little too hard.

With Rose, whom I wouldn't mind giving a nice hard dicking to, they at least waited a season before trying it, letting the characters develop together. Instead of just "Hey how's it goin? I'm from space! Wanna be my girl friend?"

But yea, The Doctor is cool in my book any day :tup:

Yeah ive been watching the new show since season 1. The fucking Sonic Screwdriver has got to be the Infinity Gauntlet of power tools because the bitch does everything. Yeah and in the Blink episode motherfucker did all types of preptime. But the most badass episode this season so far though has been "Family of Blood". Assholes found out what happens when u piss him off. Making himself human was "act of kindness". :lol:
  • {PFH}-Lake{PFH}-Lake Joined: Posts: 2,053
    I dont remember to much of the old Doctor Who, but i do remember it was really good. As for the new Doctor its ok id rather watch the old.
    Starcraft 2 profile, hecatomb code 298
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The new Mr.saxon episode airs tonight!! the ...... is back!!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Doctor Who is a great show... I can still hardly believe they brought it back. Especially after the Paul McGann movie and no series happening. This new series is way better than that movie, which was trying to appeal to someone's idea of the US audience too much. It was still well received in Britain though, they just didn't make a series because it totally bombed in the US. It's a shame because I thought Paul McGann was a great Doctor... hoped they might bring him back for the new show.

A question for the people who watch it in the US: what channel do they put it on over there? Is it popular or just a cult following kind of thing?

Also, I'd say the classic series is worth watching. It ran for such a long time though, it has really good and downright awful patches. If you want to get into it, the stuff from the 70s is the most watchable, if you get past the dodgy sets and special effects. I love the earlier Tom Baker stuff, like "Ark In Space", "Terror of The Zygons" and "Pyramids of Mars". :tup:
    Doctor Who is a great show... I can still hardly believe they brought it back. Especially after the Paul McGann movie and no series happening. This new series is way better than that movie, which was trying to appeal to someone's idea of the US audience too much. It was still well received in Britain though, they just didn't make a series because it totally bombed in the US. It's a shame because I thought Paul McGann was a great Doctor... hoped they might bring him back for the new show.

A question for the people who watch it in the US: what channel do they put it on over there? Is it popular or just a cult following kind of thing?

Also, I'd say the classic series is worth watching. It ran for such a long time though, it has really good and downright awful patches. If you want to get into it, the stuff from the 70s is the most watchable, if you get past the dodgy sets and special effects. I love the earlier Tom Baker stuff, like "Ark In Space", "Terror of The Zygons" and "Pyramids of Mars". :tup:

Scifi Channel shows it here but I usually watch it on tvlinks. I just finished off Torchwood Season 1 which leads right into "Utopia". Are they going to do a second season of that? It would be weird to not have Capt. Jack there. The man is nuts, took on the devil like it wasnt shit.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/12_december/12/torchwood.shtml

:smile:

...and I would assume that Jack is coming back, but I don't read spoilers. He could die on Who tonight for all I know. Actually he probably will, but you know, I mean die and not get back up again. :razzy:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/12_december/12/torchwood.shtml

:smile:

...and I would assume that Jack is coming back, but I don't read spoilers. He could die on Who tonight for all I know. Actually he probably will, but you know, I mean die and not get back up again. :razzy:

True, so true. Another thing I found funny about Jack is he'd screw anything with a pulse.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The New Earth: Come for the catgirls...stay for the healthcare. But remember: never trust a nun, never trust a nurse, and *never* trust a cat. Novice Haime for the *rowr!* :lovin:
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I've been watching dr.who since i was a kid. It has a cult following over in the states. It used to be on pbs when i was a kid along with red dwarf.

I like the new series except i miss the first doctor of the new series reboot..he isnt as ugly as this new guy and had ok teeth. the new guys teeth are like a dentists nightmare.

rockbogart? the old shows are worth it but its really about which doctor you like cause they can easily be hit or misses due to the doctors.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The classics are god tier. I grew up watching that late night on PBS. Tom Baker is the best doc, with Ace is the best companion. The hottest companion is a toss-up between Peri and Ace. I wanted a K-9 soooo bad as a kid. :tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    The classics are god tier. I grew up watching that late night on PBS. Tom Baker is the best doc, with Ace is the best companion. The hottest companion is a toss-up between Peri and Ace. I wanted a K-9 soooo bad as a kid. :tup:

this man speaks 100% truth...tom baker and that damn scarf are top tier.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    The old ending sequence was a little scary. Dr. Who came on at night, and I was a little kid.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The old ending sequence was a little scary. Dr. Who came on at night, and I was a little kid.

You mean those flying colors and the creepy original music? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you taped someone's eyelids open and made them watch that acid trip you could brain wash them. Surprised it didn't scare me, as much of a wuss as I was as a kid.
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Mainly it was the friggin' music...that shit was eerie as hell. I listened to it a few minutes ago, and I get it now. The music goes from creepy in the beginning to inspirational and somewhat adventurous and rousing. I'd never listened to the whole sequence once the show ended when I was a kid.
    Anyone watch this besides me? Is the older series worth watching?

the Doc Who series have very nice girls in them.
    My favorite television show as a youth of 8-12 or so. Used to come on PBS saturday nites from 10-12, and I'd always watch before getting up for service the next morning. Tom baker was the best Dr. the one who followed him was kinda cool too though. The music/outro was indeed godly. Just a great show and I need to go purchase all the old episodes on DVD. I saw that movie several years ago and thought it sucked royally, maybe I should give the new show a chance.
    My favorite television show as a youth of 8-12 or so. Used to come on PBS saturday nites from 10-12, and I'd always watch before getting up for service the next morning. Tom baker was the best Dr. the one who followed him was kinda cool too though. The music/outro was indeed godly. Just a great show and I need to go purchase all the old episodes on DVD. I saw that movie several years ago and thought it sucked royally, maybe I should give the new show a chance.

oh defintly..i bet you'll like the new show. Ya..the fox movie was ass haha.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • hythyt Joined: Posts: 112
    *wonders how many of the newer views had a fangasm at the end of Utopia*

VOTE SAXON!
    *wonders how many of the newer views had a fangasm at the end of Utopia*

VOTE SAXON!

So the other Time Lord was in the older series? TV links seems to have all the older ones so i might start watching them.
  • ioio Joined: Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i've been watching for years. i have most of the older stuff on dvd. it's suuuper cheesy, but it's what i grew up on.

the new show is amazing. super, super fun ( for those who watch)

series 3 starts on sci-fi in july. that's a super fast turnaround

my ps3 id is dedicated to the man...err, his scarf ahaha
    (you're == you are) != your
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,342
    This is that show that is based in London or something right?

My teacher was some kind of Assistant for this show(No Lie).He was even credited.I believe he worked on the older show.His last name was Bankston,can't remember his first.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    So I just watched Friday's episode. Damn this master guy is evil. Next episode is the series finally. I wonder if they will start another series next year or something. The next season of Torchwood will probably be about the post-Master era if they succeed.
  • tempesttempest walking death Joined: Posts: 298
    god i remember Tom baker has the doctor god so many good memories.and yes get the older stuff your enjoy them. peace

man does not control his fate but he can fight againest it
    The maste is also a Timelord so he wouldn't die just move on to his next incarnation no?
    The maste is also a Timelord so he wouldn't die just move on to his next incarnation no?

im pretty sure the master and the dr are the last timelords..unless they changed the continuity around.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Yeah but they don't die they regenerate, are we assuming in current continuity that the Dr./Master are on the last of their lives?
    Yeah but they don't die they regenerate, are we assuming in current continuity that the Dr./Master are on the last of their lives?

from my understanding...the last doctor was supposed to be the last life or sumtin...i heard they tweaked it..so i'm not sure if he's on his last life. If he is..im curious to see how they will fix it..turn the master good? lol. nah too easy.

Well the tardis is a child of the universe essentially it'd be interesting if they could have that play a part in it.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • DarkshineDarkshine Get Like Eko Joined: Posts: 572
    Why is this topic not higher up in the forum listing! BUMP, I say, damnit!

The current doctor is in his tenth incarnation, so given the Time Lord rules about 13 regenerations, he's got about 3 more left.

Which brings us to the Master....

Long story short, the Master likes to cheat. He cheated his way to a new body in the Tom Baker (4th) era, and then was supposedly sucked into the Eye of Harmony during the TV Movie (which is unfortunately canon). As the current Master explained in The Sound of the Drums, the Time Lords resurrected him, so he's fresh on his 2nd body.

It's the first time in the new series that they've stuck their hand deep in the old series history. For the most part the writers have been teasing us about it. So far, none of the fanboys are getting immensely angry about it, which is good considering Russell T Davies' scripts aren't the most coherent.

Can't wait for this Saturday!

Oh any of you seen the new series eps dubbed in Japanese? Pretty funny shit.

The current doctor is in his tenth incarnation, so given the Time Lord rules about 13 regenerations, he's got about 3 more left.

Which brings us to the Master....

Long story short, the Master likes to cheat. He cheated his way to a new body in the Tom Baker (4th) era, and then was supposedly sucked into the Eye of Harmony during the TV Movie (which is unfortunately canon). As the current Master explained in The Sound of the Drums, the Time Lords resurrected him, so he's fresh on his 2nd body.

It's the first time in the new series that they've stuck their hand deep in the old series history. For the most part the writers have been teasing us about it. So far, none of the fanboys are getting immensely angry about it, which is good considering Russell T Davies' scripts aren't the most coherent.

Can't wait for this Saturday!

Oh any of you seen the new series eps dubbed in Japanese? Pretty funny shit.

Damn, might have to look this movie up on tvlinks.
    Damn, might have to look this movie up on tvlinks.

??? i thought the master was in his sixth incarnation..... i.e. mr.saxon = master. no six:xeye:
  • RagetowersrageRagetowersrage Poots on Newts Joined: Posts: 47
    Anyone catch "The Colbert Report" last night?

He was talking to the Unity '08 guy and the guy was saying how people can go online to the net conference they are doing and that's when they will decide who they want to back for a candidate.

Then Colbert goes "Oh so this is all online? Well all you're going to get is a but of internet nerds. Everyone is gonna vote for either Doctor Who or Chewbacca!"

So I say...Doctor for President.

Hell if the Master can be Prime Minister, then Doc can be Prez!
    ??? i thought the master was in his sixth incarnation..... i.e. mr.saxon = master. no six:xeye:

That reference meant that John Simm = sixth actor to play the Master, not sixth incarnation.

Don't look up the movie unless you really really have to. It's *that* bad.
    That reference meant that John Simm = sixth actor to play the Master, not sixth incarnation.

Don't look up the movie unless you really really have to. It's *that* bad.

ahhhh thanks for the info... anyhow the last episode is tomorro.... will martha come through for the doctor??
    Just seen the last episode......
    biiiig spoilers!!!!!
    below.......

<spoiler>The doctor is now alone.. master dies refuses to regenerate...... it even had a flash gordon moment when someone picks up his ring.... did he regenerate as a woman or will he live on i.e. his human wife is pregnant?!

WTF!! Jack will someday become the face of Boe!!!!!!!</spoiler>
    all i can say is i will quit the series if they ever pull a power rangers bullshit and make the master good.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Boe is that big giant face that told TheDoctor he was not alone and no the master does not become good.

The ending was strange setting up for the christmas special, yea that was defently some Ming the Merciless shit at the end.
    i havent been watching the new doctor but im watching all that are dealing with the master.

martha's a cutie..i heard rumors the girl who played rose was gonna leave..sad to see her go but her replacement is defintly a cutie.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog: