Berserk Manga

soulbankaisoulbankai I can't comboJoined: Posts: 227
I think this is where to put this.

Berserk is a great series in that it has a deep story and characters that you can connect with. Let me also add that this is one bloody fuckin manga. An example of how violent this series is are the manga covers, look at one of the manga covers, it has Casca all naked on top of Guts, whos nakedness is covered Casa's naked body, and also his blood.

Synopsis: .... I'll try not to spoil it if you get interested in this manga.
Guts is looking for revenge on his former ally, Griffith. After Going through one of the most terrible moments in his life, he makes a crew and sets off on a journey to help Casca, Gut's lover. From the deep pain and suffering she experienced in the past, Casca has lost her mind and travels with Guts to bring her memory back. Along the way, they meet mysterious new people who they fight, kill, and at times band together with in order to accomplish their mission. But Griffith, stands in their way and is also part of the God Hand, the legendary group known as Gods to regular humans. At every turn Guts in confronted with thoughts of his past and problems that newly arise.

I'm not sure if America is that far in the series yet, so I'll end the synopsis there. I hope that people on these forums can pick up this manga.

So please discuss this manga on this thread.:wgrin:
If only I knew how to combo, I would probably actually be a decent fighter.

Comments

• KrsJinKrsJin Cheat Kune Do Joined: Posts: 1,347
    I own the series, have for quite awhile. And felt super blue balled after the finale. Everyone keeps mentioning how I should read the Manga, think it's finally time lol.

Does the Manga start at the same place as the series did or at a different point?
    Number one chief rekka.

Live in Colorado or plan to visit? Check out www.extrafresh.net
  • Manny_OManny_O Joined: Posts: 710
    I own the series, have for quite awhile. And felt super blue balled after the finale. Everyone keeps mentioning how I should read the Manga, think it's finally time lol.

Does the Manga start at the same place as the series did or at a different point?

The manga starts at the same point as the anime, but goes way farther than the anime did. The manga's still ongoing and hasn't finished yet. The manga is far better than the anime in every way, so you should definitely read whenever you get the chance.
  • soulbankaisoulbankai I can't combo Joined: Posts: 227
    The manga starts at the same point as the anime, but goes way farther than the anime did. The manga's still ongoing and hasn't finished yet. The manga is far better than the anime in every way, so you should definitely read whenever you get the chance.

True dat true dat. The manga even has characters that weren't in the anime. About 6 characters are missing in the arc that the anime covers that are in the manga. And the manga goes to about to 30 volumes in japan right now. America, I think has about up to 18 volumes at the moment. But yes, read the manga. You'll love it regardless of how different it is compared to the good (but crappy compared to the manga) anime. It also continues where the anime left out in greater detail. Currently, there looks to be no end in sight for the manga, I mean, the series that inspires it is 114 volumes soooo.....
  • DanSCDanSC Joined: Posts: 597
    this is one my favorite, but honestly i think the story became less good and excited after Griffith became one of the Godhand, i felt like it focus too much on other people and wars..but it still a very good manga and one of my favorites.
  • EndlessEndless Death Before Dishonour Joined: Posts: 2,021
    I've been reading BERSERK since 2001, and it's my favorite series. It had quite a good amount of influence in my life.

I just hope it ends in my lifetime, and Miura doesn't get ill or something.

Shameless plug for a friend of mine: The best english webpage/compilation of almost all the BERSERK statues out there
  • The GranbyThe Granby Magnetic Sarah Joined: Posts: 546
    Best series ever.... I imported the japanese up to 31 oooohhh so damn good.

This thread will be full of awesome.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
  • monbabymonbaby StudyStudyStudy!... Joined: Posts: 1,615

I seen the anime and have volumes 1-3...

I hope guts destroys that bitch griffith who happens to be the most jealous nigga ever created...

Berserk has made me realize one thing in life...

Life revolves around beautiful women...
  • Manny_OManny_O Joined: Posts: 710
    I've been reading BERSERK since 2001, and it's my favorite series. It had quite a good amount of influence in my life.

Shameless plug for a friend of mine: The best english webpage/compilation of almost all the BERSERK statues out there

Those statues look awesome, I'd love to get one but they're pretty expensive it seems.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    really having those stupid magic addons such farnese and the stupid little witch wannabe ruined the manga..it's like a circus now

until the first eclipse and some chapter after, berserk was the best manga ever made
    good series indeed, but i feel that the current chapters are kinda boring..... to be honest.

the series doesn't seem to be going anywhere atm....
    You guys are crazy, the story is even better BECAUSE IT'S MOVING ON, ie it's not about guts killing apostles for 20+ volumes like Hokuto no Ken with swords. Maybe you guys don't like a plot moving but hey that's why we have Ichi the Killer.

As for farnese and schierke, this is a story about demons, otherworld spirits, and elves right? It was that way from freaking book 1. The band of the hawk section was just to lay the background story for why guts is killing shit, or again, this would just be just pointless hacking up of things.

All of the current stuff is guts working for his girl caska and showing what griffth is doing.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
    good series indeed, but i feel that the current chapters are kinda boring..... to be honest.

for the win

it's true that an arc involving creatures from another world may imply magic and such
    but right now it's all about shilke focusing channeling a spell with tons of pages where she only try to call some spirits and gatsu and shilke team up to avoid the armor to hunt for allies

this to me it's boring

it become even more if you add a crapload of useless side characters such as those prostitutes from the second eclipse arc and now the farnese family

especially when we have such interesting unanswered question like the skull knight and his past wearing the berserk armor, zodd's past and origin and what exaclty a bejelit allow to his owner (gatsu/pak still own one do you remember?)
  • PinionPinion LOver Joined: Posts: 499
    You know I really don't mind the members of Guts' party, but I've got to say that as of late Puck being used as a forced source of comedic relief is really starting to get on my nerves.

The most recent chapter of Berserk is a fine example of this. Starts off great, with the monologue by the berserker spirit residing within Guts (which is starting to remind me of Fenrir), but then suddenly we get hit with, like, 10 pages of Pucks stupid overly animated shenanigans.

I don't mind the side stories concerning Farnese or Schierke, but this nonsense with Puck seriously needs to get toned down cause it's becoming a HUGE turn off.
    Good and evil are chimera.
  • G.O.TG.O.T #1 Haggar fan Joined: Posts: 2,164

Is it possible to order any of those statues?
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • SmrKSmrK SF4 < 3S Joined: Posts: 251

I hope guts destroys that bitch griffith who happens to be the most jealous nigga ever created...
    Berserk has made me realize one thing in life...
    Life revolves around beautiful women...

You seem to have missed the whole point of Berserk... As someone mentioned before, the anime leaves you very blueballed. It actually got me reading the manga. Griffith had his reasons for his actions, as is explained in the anime, although manga goes much deeper.

I own volumes 1-15 and think that Berserk is one of the best manga series out there. Anyone knows how many volumes are available through Dark Horse comics? Takes me ages to order and receive'em over here:arazz:
    iHelp ^^

3S - Dudley, Alex
    SSF4 - Balrog, Dudley, DeeJay
    BB:CS - Arakune
  • JackTenrac!JackTenrac! Dollar Yen - Level 304 Joined: Posts: 2,797
    - But Puck is comic relief. Decent, unabridged, comic relief.
    Brett at T7- "Bearrama?!"
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod
    Love Berserk. And yes the manga is better than the anime but I give the anime props for being as violent as it was, like the blood was pure red on that show and not that shiny white stuff they were doing a lot when the show came out. The anime left a lot of stuff out since they only had 13 episodes but they got a lot of stuff in too. It's rough that it ends on such a cliffhanger but every question brought up in the first episode was answered in the final ep, they brung up a lot more questions though ha ha! Big up to no Puck in the anime, I hate his ass. :rofl:

The Serpico / Guts fight in the last chapter was tight, I heaRd about that last year and was happy to read it finally in Dark Horse's latest translation.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Well first off this DOESN'T have to be hear; there already was a Berserk thread in the General Disccusions forum, but it died off sadly.
    Anyway new chapter comes out in Freaking Nov., BUT Vol. 32 comes out END OF NOV.!
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    Well first off this DOESN'T have to be hear;
    Hear what?
    there already was a Berserk thread in the General Disccusions forum, but it died off sadly.

A comic's a comic, and as frequently as that thread a appears, it was best suited to be in the comic section of the forum anyway.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Is it possible to order any of those statues?

Yes, but expect to pay $$$$ because all of the statues range from $200 to the rarest costing about $1000 (Market value. Original price was about $500)

http://www.art-of-war.co.jp/

I have my Zoddo II (Limited edition, bloody version) for sale

As for the manga, I admit it is going slow now, but nothing is extraneous.
    Character development and showing why the characters are doing what they are doing.

If you want to read a mindless violent story, there are other mangas out there for you.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    "Bear wrote:
    Well first off this DOESN'T have to be hear;
    Hear what?

A comic's a comic, and as frequently as that thread a appears, it was best suited to be in the comic section of the forum anyway.

Sorry grammatical error on my side, I should've written 'here' :P.
    It's fine by me mind u, just so long as we discuss Berserk and manage to get others into it.
    BTW how well translated are the English releases? Do they stay true to the original source?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    - no worries.

-One Manga
    has fan translations, but I doubt that they are accurate speech wise. It sounds too modern to be that. Still, entertaining.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    The English releases from Dark Horse are very accurate, they even retain the Japanese sound effects. Not edited or anything, just as bloody with lots of demon sex like the original work.

Guts is an interesting character. Every major decision about his life was made for him, and the one time he makes his own decision by leaving the Band of The Hawk everything goes terribly wrong. He really is a slave to fate.
    for the win

it's true that an arc involving creatures from another world may imply magic and such
    but right now it's all about shilke focusing channeling a spell with tons of pages where she only try to call some spirits and gatsu and shilke team up to avoid the armor to hunt for allies

this to me it's boring

it become even more if you add a crapload of useless side characters such as those prostitutes from the second eclipse arc and now the farnese family

especially when we have such interesting unanswered question like the skull knight and his past wearing the berserk armor, zodd's past and origin and what exaclty a bejelit allow to his owner (gatsu/pak still own one do you remember?)

What the hell, those were some important parts of the story dude. And the prostitutes also had a big part as well. I mean half of the shit Guts has done wouldn't have been possible with out all those "side" characters, IE we wouldn't have ANY INFO PERIOD on Skull Knight or Behelit without Schierke/Flora. And we wouldn't have gotten that awesome Guts+Zodd part as well as a ship without farnese/serpico. And we wouldn't have caska back PERIOD if it wasn't for the prostitutes. I mean what do want the story to be like.

"Guts kills everyone in his way, has grand DBZ battle with Zodd, tag teams with Skull Knight for a grand master tournament, then they use the behelit for one gigantic boss battle with the God Hand!"

I mean this arc is more exciting than the Band of the Hawk section where you pretty much knew Griffith was going to get what he wanted no matter what. You can't really predict where Miura is going to go with this series right now other than where the ship is supposed to be headed.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
    The English releases from Dark Horse are very accurate, they even retain the Japanese sound effects. Not edited or anything, just as bloody with lots of demon sex like the original work.

Guts is an interesting character. Every major decision about his life was made for him, and the one time he makes his own decision by leaving the Band of The Hawk everything goes terribly wrong. He really is a slave to fate.

Actually, it's the exact opposite.

Guts is one of the only characters OUTSIDE of fate.

*spoilers

Guts was supposed to die during the Eclipse, predicted by a lot of characters, including Zoddo
    However, Guts survived, and afterwards Godhand, Zoddo, and Skullknight acknowledged that Guts is outside of Fate's hands now, so in essence, he is the only one who can really affect Godhand and Griffith.
    Of course, this is to the amusement of Godhand, and Zoddo gives Guts respect that he survived and is very unique.
  • DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!! Joined: Posts: 924
    Currently only on Vol 10, but I must say even the little bit that I've read its already exponentially more bad ass than the anime(which was already in a whole new league of awesome).

Was just pointed to the thread recently, just dropping in to say hewwo
    Say hello to your mother for me.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 17,616
    I've been keeping up with the Berserk manga up till now as it's being pushed over here...This is the most goriest manga that I myself have seen and I'm loving how kentaro miura is drawing this stuff...supposedly the anime series is supposed to start back up at sometime cause it kinda sucked that they had to stop basically halfway...does anybody know what's the deal with that?
    - The Zodd + Gatts team up manga was jokes. Gatts is swearing and threatening Zodd as he's riding him.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    It looks like people are starting to get interested in BERSERK. I'm glad. I hope this thread will grow larger. But yeah, I love all the characters. I want to see more Skull Knight!!!!! Everytime I see him for some reason I think, "Akuma?" I can't wait to see what happens next, but I know that this shit will be FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Actually, Serpico is epic. A lapdog, but he's the Shikimaru of Berserk. Sure, Skull Knight is a badass and all, but Serpico is too much power for his role. His backstory is serious business, but lacks the action. Still, his tale is quite a beastly one in itself and it's great seeing a human have the power to confront and match Gatts at somewhere near his non-berserk level.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Out of all the new characters I must say I do like Serpico the most, he is too damn smart. But I wouldn't call someone who got punked by Guts liek twice in a row epic, amazing but not epic.

I'll join the Serpico fan club if he takes down a big apostle though. So far only Guts and Schierke seem able to do that.

Beary Ryoma- I know that about the Zodd + Guts part, but it still was an awesome chapter.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
    Serpico, Gatts, Zodd, and Locus are my favs right now.

Skull Knight is a complete friccin mystery. I want to see him kick ass soon.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
    - Ah...punked. That's easy, since every monster, apostle, and whatnot verbally. But beaten in a duel with Gatts, that took more than 3 mins with cunning, finesse, and speed as his ally and with his own talent? that's something to give props to. Serpico wasn't punked. Serpico is still a worthy adversary of Gatts because when they had fought, Gatts did stagger a few times. He almost did that more times than he did with Griffith, still. Serpico understands his ability better than the other characters of Berserk do and adjusts to his situation accordingly. Almost as well as Skull Knight, but better than Slike, Isidoro, and, surprisingly, Zodd would.

It's questionable if Gatts would have won, though. Gatts didn't use his knives, and he also didn't whip out the arrows, bombs, and/or cannon. Well, the first fight he did.

- Surprised that Owen is a recurring character, though.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    - I give serpico credit that's for sure, I just hope his character manages to survive the whole ordeal before it's over. This is miura after all, dude had no reservations killing off half the cast that he took 15 books to develop.

-I think it's cool how there are characters WAAYYY from the begining that still matter in this story. I mean I can't tell you how much I hate stories that introduce important looking characters and then...... never go back to explain them. The Berserk world is so well interconnected, I can't wait to see who else Miura brings back.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
  • Fin.K.MFin.K.M . Joined: Posts: 97
    wat

Are we even talking about the same manga here? I can understand if you think the current chapters are slow, but to say that the series isn't going anywhere is kind of silly. It's a little slow now because they are in the process of 'going somewhere' and their current situation doesn't really allow Guts to be slicing a shitload of demons in half. Before this, we had TWO huge battles back-to-back and a major plot revelation, and you can bet a lot of shit is going to happen once they reach their destination. Hell, we don't even have to wait that long; judging by the last page of the latest chapter, some serious poo-poo is about to go down right now.
    As for the manga, I admit it is going slow now, but nothing is extraneous.
    Character development and showing why the characters are doing what they are doing.
    Exactly.

The characters are what got me hooked on Berserk, so I happen to enjoy the latest chapters. I especially liked the dialogue between Guts and Schierke at the end of ch.287.
    - KM
    #TOSF
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,288
    Reading it right now and I am on Chapter 147.

I've never wanted a hero to defeat the bad guy as much after reading this.Griffith's quite easily one of the most evil characters I have ever seen in comic book form.

And monbaby is that Caska in your avatar?
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    Reading it right now and I am on Chapter 147.

I've never wanted a hero to defeat the bad guy as much after reading this.Griffith's quite easily one of the most evil characters I have ever seen in comic book form.

And monbaby is that Caska in your avatar?

Yeah that's caska bro, and I agree, Griffith is a bitch, but that's part of why Berserk is so good, tragic anti-hero and an extremely evil yet at the same time righteous villian.

Fin.K.M - totally agree, Berserk only gets better. How long has this series been going? Like for almost 10+ years? Classic.
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
    - Remember Rick James' music? well, Berserk's been around since then.

- Even so, Serpico isn't one to die easily. Something seriously fierce would have to go for him to depart of this world. Rickert would need to get back in somewhere. I'm surprised that Griffith didn't recreate his main members of the Band of the Hawk(Corkus, Pippen, Gatts' main dude) into apostles in order to trick Gatts and Caska, though.

- I noticed that the One Manga translations are very loose. For instance, I'd see Silke is being renamed several times.

- Berserk is a big manga with various characters. There are times where the story has to keep you informed of what the other characters and problems are at(Kushan vs. Midland war, Zodd's fights, Band of the Hawk, especially Sonia and Mule, Midland itself). Heck, I'd like to know what Azan is doing from time to time. It's good to cover them all because this shows good development.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Since there's a lot of people coming over from general, as the mod of this forum I am only going to ask two things, so far no one has crossed these rules so no problems.

Please do not post up any links where you can read scanlations of Berserk for free or give people links where they can download the manga for free. The reason for that is this forum is very pro you going to a comic book store, or in the case of Berserk a Japanese book store or a regular bookstore and supporting the art form. What you do in your PMs is your business, just keep it out of here.

No scans. A lot of that is for the same reason as above. By scans I mean you grabbing your book and scanning away. Find an existing link or better yet, describe what you just saw which is a lot easier and far less work. Big reason for this is see above.

The other thing is regarding spoilers. This is more of a suggestion and not an actual rule. I suppose it's a floodgate now that can't be stopped and honestly I think at the point we are up to in the US there aren't really major spoilers to come at least for a while, or at the very least I already know a bunch of stuff that's going to happen through friends of mine lol! But if you wish to use them type it out like this -

[ s p o i l e r =Berserk] Bla bla [ / s p o i l e r ]

When you put it together, it looks something like this -
    This manga rules!

If you are not sure just quote this post and you will have an example on how to do this.

Any questions about these rules, complaints, whatever just PM me. Thanks.

Aside from that again since I haven't had a single problem with anyone on this thread so far have fun! DON'T KNOW RYE DON'T KNOW RYE IT'S TOO RATE! IT'S TOO RATE! :rofl:
    What is up with that beast inside Gutts? It says it's been around since he was born in one of the chapters. Is it a manifestation of him wanting to survive, or is it something else? Because it seems to be something not connecting to God or the Apostles at all.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!! Joined: Posts: 924
    thanks for the info sano :)
    Say hello to your mother for me.
    - Probably just something that seemed to be from the brand. It wants to kill Caska, so it can be from there.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    I think it's another spiritual being seperate from the godhand. It just seems to have an effect on guts that allows him to do crazy ass shit. Guts survives some insane situations, I'm glad schierke and the rest are there to keep his ass sane and alive.
    Bear Ryoma wrote:
    - Remember Rick James' music? well, Berserk's been around since then.

O-M-G...

*monkey falls from the sky*
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
    No prob Sano. But yeah, I'd really rather wait and get the manga at the comic stores that download them. Its not that I don't like crappy quality scans or fans tranlating it, its just that I want a good translation so I know I won't get fucked over when it comes to important things like names getting changed because of romanizations or anything like that. But thats cool.

I really didn't expect Serpico to become that much of a great character. I always thought of him as like.... an average joe of some sort. But he just kicks ass from my point of view, and I can see that most everyone here totally agrees. Hmmm.... Saying that, I hope to see the characters grow. Oh, and I only read a few scans... and skipped way too far ahead for my tastes. I recently just decided to stop reading scans. For the reason above really. I can't wait till I get a fucking JOB!!!!! Then I'll be able to support my BERSERK habit and get the manga already!!!!!
    Not sure if yall have seen this since it's a little old but this is the greatest Berserk AMV EVER! :rock:

• ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I was reading that in one of the interviews with Miura, he says that the story is only about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way through. And has every intention to keep the manga going for another 30 years. So those with out patience, this may not be the manga for you.

Also for those that say the manga doesn't go anywhere. Of course you feel that way. Anytime you read one chapter a week to a month (a couple months in Miuras case), you're going to feel that it moves very slowly. But if you try reading volumes back to back you'll typically see the story move quite well.
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,288
    Awesome AMV.

Also that ugly fetus thing that popped out of Caska's cooch,was that Guts and Caska's kid and Griffith just fucked it up when that incident happened,or is it Griffith's kid?
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    Awesome AMV.

Also that ugly fetus thing that popped out of Caska's cooch,was that Guts and Caska's kid and Griffith just fucked it up when that incident happened,or is it Griffith's kid?

It's Guts+Caskas kid according to the Skull Knight just disfigured by the Eclipse.

Also thanks ShinjiGohan for the info, 30 years later I can look back and tell my kids how badass this series was (or at least hope it was badass that far ahead hahahah).
    -Daniel Esquer
    www.virtuafighter.com
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm pretty sure that it was the first thing you said.