The Superman Thread: PREACH IT, goody!

Comments

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Just read Emperor Joker, other than the confusing opening I liked it. Ignition, Bizarro and Superman were most interesting, and Joker played his part well lol.

Batman got messed up big time, honestly I think it's one of the most brutal things I've seen in comics. (In a psychological way).
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • RoninChaosRoninChaos Treading Paper Joined: Posts: 4,092 mod
    If they were to do another superman movie, I'd like to see Darkseid. Have supes' ship pass Apokolips on his way to Krypton, insert shit about finding earth, show up to earth and try to take the mother fucker over.

Of course, that's what the fanboy in me wants to see. Hell, I'd be happy with a movie version of the superman animated show where Darkseid shows up and merc's turpin. lol
    -[E.M.S. for life]- -[Da Foot Clan]- -[Kobra Kai]-

Fuck Dan Marino

"Let's get shit straight: NOTHING can protect you from Ronin." -- Ducky

Making use of my "I am a bitch" card right now, please acknowledge it. -- OMFG

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    If they were to do another superman movie, I'd like to see Darkseid. Have supes' ship pass Apokolips on his way to Krypton, insert shit about finding earth, show up to earth and try to take the mother fucker over.

Of course, that's what the fanboy in me wants to see. Hell, I'd be happy with a movie version of the superman animated show where Darkseid shows up and merc's turpin. lol

lol turpins death is one of the only animated deaths...permenant ones in kid cartoon history.

superman:tas was the truth
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

For The Man Who Has Everything (Supes Annual 11)

By mandate of the SRK Comic Book Forum Illuminati, Superman Annual #11 is a required favorite Superman story. It's not enough to just read it or watch the JLU adaptation. You must also love it long and hard.

Exile At The Edge Of Eternity (Superman 400)

Must There Be A Superman? (Superman 247, or the 1970s trade collection)

The Showdown Between Luthor And Superman (?)

I will try to track those down somehow and get back to you. Then I, too, shall be able to look down from the mountaintop of Superman Readers and laugh at the masses who have not been able to experience the classics, and thus, who completely misunderstand the purpose of Superman's existence.

(I don't remember what this story was called, but I found it deeply touching. Kindly try not to laugh at me.)

Ha.

Peace On Earth

I think Superman is maybe the one superhero who looks okay as one of Alex Ross' fat friends dressed up in a Halloween costume.

Yeah All-Star Superman will not ship this week. At the very least, it is not on Midtown Comics' list of books coming out this Wednesday.

That sucks, dude, that we won't be getting any ASS this week. On the other hand, at least goody can bump up his post count by restarting the countdown. Guess there's a bright side to every sad situation.

Don't know alot about Supes,but is he the strongest ever from his planet or is there evidence of others from his planet being even stronger?

I think that he is the strongest because he's the only survivor of his planet. Unless Supergirl counts as a fellow survivor. Even so, Superman is still stronger than Supergirl because he is a man and she is a girl.

I am not too sure about the Kryptonians who survived by being trapped in the Phantom Zone. I presume they are about as strong as Superman (assuming they can gain power from our galaxy's yellow sun). If they worked out in the Phantom Zone, maybe they could be stronger than Superman, but he was a farmer, so he probably has pretty good fitness even without his powers.

I think my two of my favorite Superman stories (other than Alan Moore's and ASS) are still It's A Bird... and Secret Identity.

Action Comics #775 is another one of the best. That was the one where Superman fought the Elite, who were basically an analogue for The Authority. Joe Kelly wrote some goodass shit about why Superman is still relevant in a postmodern world. The comic just works because it has a great plot that's also a great metaphor. It's Superman vs. The Authority!

Action Comics #800 was memorable, too. Maybe because I only read it like a few months ago, but it's another Joe Kelly story about why Superman is such an icon. There's a series of connected vignettes illustrated by various artists but it's only at the end when you really see where Kelly's going with his story. Pretty skillful writing. There's a lot of cool imagery in the comic, like this one scene Lee Bermejo drew of a firefighter wearing a t-shirt with the S-shield.

Speaking of Bermejo, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is another one of my favorites.

I just got Joe Casey's entire run on Adventures of Superman from eBay and read it all. Casey's one of my all-time favorite writers but I have to admit that his Adventures of Superman run is uneven due to the terrible editorial situation (early 2000s). A lot of his issues were forced crossovers with the other three monthly Superman comics at the time, so that sucked. (I think that's why Superman comics generally sucked through the entire '90s.)

But the issues when you could tell he was allowed to do his own thing really shined because Casey had generally had Superman use his mind to defeat his foes, and Superman mostly used his powers to help people. There was a good mix of Silver Age-style adventuring and British Invasion-style meditative storytelling. He had some great artists working with him, too, like Wieringo and Pete Woods. Some dude I ain't ever heard of, Derec Aucoin, did a bunch of Casey's issues, too, and they were pretty outstanding. What happened to Aucoin?

Other than that, I don't really know what else are my favorites. I like Superman For All Seasons and Birthright, but I don't know if I would proclaim them from the mountain and laugh down at the people who haven't read them. Maybe it's because lots of people already did read them and I wouldn't be able to feel as unique, pretentious, and elitist by claiming them as my favorites.

Oh, I guess Alan Moore's complete run on Rob Liefeld's Supreme ranks pretty highly. We all know Alan Moore's Supreme is basically all the Superman stories he ever wanted to tell. That's the best stuff, probably.

And Casey's run on Mr. Majestic is basically a pre-Crisis Superman thing. Ed McGuinness drew awesome stuff for those, back before he got stuck drawing things written by hacks like Jeph Loeb and... uh, Jeph Loeb.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • TaichiTaichi Fuck Heroics. Joined: Posts: 1,462
    Just bought the Death of Superman TPB.

the best part about that story is STILL when Doomsday steamrolls the Justice League.

because they fucking sucked back then (and that's saying something, considering I'm a HUGE fan of Guy, Ted, and Booster).
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
    Member- SRK Cobra Kai. "GET 'IM A BODY BAG!"
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    By mandate of the SRK Comic Book Forum Illuminati, Superman Annual #11 is a required favorite Superman story. It's not enough to just read it or watch the JLU adaptation. You must also love it long and hard.
    My love is always long and hard.
    I will try to track those down somehow and get back to you. Then I, too, shall be able to look down from the mountaintop of Superman Readers and laugh at the masses who have not been able to experience the classics, and thus, who completely misunderstand the purpose of Superman's existence.
    Upon checking into it, I'm pretty sure all three of these stories are in the Greatest Superman Stories volumes. I feel like a poseur now.
    I think my two of my favorite Superman stories (other than Alan Moore's and ASS) are still It's A Bird... and Secret Identity.
    These are both very good, though I'm hesitant to call them Superman stories. They're tangentially related to Superman, but I tend to think of them as independent of the mythology.
    Other than that, I don't really know what else are my favorites. I like Superman For All Seasons and Birthright, but I don't know if I would proclaim them from the mountain and laugh down at the people who haven't read them. Maybe it's because lots of people already did read them and I wouldn't be able to feel as unique, pretentious, and elitist by claiming them as my favorites.
    Lulz. They're really not bad at all. They just don't have that light-shining-down-from-the-heavens-to-favor-us-mere-mortals quality that you get with something like ASS (for instance). And for Waid and Loeb, the storytelling and characterization are at least decent.
    Oh, I guess Alan Moore's complete run on Rob Liefeld's Supreme ranks pretty highly. We all know Alan Moore's Supreme is basically all the Superman stories he ever wanted to tell. That's the best stuff, probably.
    I haven't read The Return, but I've read Story Of The Year. It's superb. I bet Alan Moore is the kind of guy who looks in the mirror every morning and says, "Who's a clever bastard? That's right: Alan Moore is a clever bastard." Great gimmickry in addition to the old-school storytelling.
    And Casey's run on Mr. Majestic is basically a pre-Crisis Superman thing. Ed McGuinness drew awesome stuff for those, back before he got stuck drawing things written by hacks like Jeph Loeb and... uh, Jeph Loeb.
    Lulz x2.
    Just bought the Death of Superman TPB.

the best part about that story is STILL when Doomsday steamrolls the Justice League.

because they fucking sucked back then (and that's saying something, considering I'm a HUGE fan of Guy, Ted, and Booster).
    Yeah, that was one of the especially irksome details of that arc. Maxima? Ice? Come on. You'd figure if someone as important as Superman is about to get snuffed, the least they could do is throw in a few A-list League members for the occasion.
  • Carpet LintCarpet Lint MUHFUGGA NEVA LOVED US Joined: Posts: 3,404
    I still don't understand why Guy couldn't have just chucked Doomsday into space with like a giant yellow spring or something.

Superman Annual #11 and Action Comics #775 rank in my top 10 favourite single issues of all time. I would never have suspected one of my top ten issues would be by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke. I like both of them (Deadpool and JLA)...but what are the chances, you know?

But that comic was like Superman, Truth, and Justice punching Mark Millar and his ultra extreme team of assholes (regardless if it was The Authority or The Ultimates) right in the face. Feels so good every time I re-read it.
    I still don't understand why Guy couldn't have just chucked Doomsday into space with like a giant yellow spring or something.

I don't understand why Superman didn't just float in orbit and just shoot fire from his eyes down at Doomsday while Batman thought up a plan to destroy that Hulk-ripoff motherfucker.

I think it was stories like Death of Superman that turned me off to Superman for so many years. They made me think that Superman was a dumbass because these writers would only show Superman solving problems by punching them out. Superman has more power than a million exploding suns and he is the original golden guardian of good, right? So how come when the going got tough he never used his powers and only tried to punch his foes. I never got that.

But that comic was like Superman, Truth, and Justice . . .

I do believe you mean to say "Superman, Truth, Justice, and the American Way." Stupid Canucklehead. Get it right, bub. Go play some damn baseball and eat some apple pie.

Action #775 is one of my favorite single issues, too. I still reread it a couple of times a year. But I think Superman was punching Warren Ellis, not Millar. Doesn't Action #775 predate Millar's runs on The Authority and The Ultimates? I'm too lazy to check, so I will just confidently say that I am correct.
    Zeph: The reason Supes didn't use his powers?

had nothing to do with Superman, had everything to do with his shitty writers. "Superman isn't relevant, anymore. Let's kill him!"

"Brilliant!"

no, not brilliant. Superman wouldn't BE Irrelevant if you were a competent writer, asshole.
    Now at Midnight, all the agents, and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do...
    Zeph: The reason Supes didn't use his powers?

had nothing to do with Superman, had everything to do with his shitty writers. "Superman isn't relevant, anymore. Let's kill him!"

"Brilliant!"

no, not brilliant. Superman wouldn't BE Irrelevant if you were a competent writer, asshole.
    Truer words were never spoken. And Supes isn't the only classic hero who's gotten this kind of treatment in the modern age.
    Eight days. I have a five dollar bill on my wall. I put a push-pin through the Great Emancipator's forehead. That money is just waiting to go to the comic book store so I can pull some ASS.
  • nameingwaynameingway I say thee nay Joined: Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    action comics #775 was fucking great. if anyone hasn't read it, move it up on your list of things to do. superman, serious business.
    action comics #775 was fucking great. if anyone hasn't read it, move it up on your list of things to do. superman, serious business.
    It's decent. I'll always remember it as the comic in which Superman proved conclusively that psychic mutants don't have shit on him.
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    I am a Superman newb you all will be laughing at from the top of that mountain.
    Just a few questions
    Isn't he supposed to be just as intelligent as Batman?

Isn't the only reason Batman "gets away" with "beating Supes" the fact that Superman would try his best not to kill him?

If Superman wanted to he could just obliterate the entire city block Batman was hiding in right?
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    I am a Superman newb you all will be laughing at from the top of that mountain.
    Just a few questions
    Isn't he supposed to be just as intelligent as Batman?
    It depends on who's writing him and what time period you're looking at. Classic Superman, among his many other super-abilities, was super-intelligent. He had a perfect memory, was an extraordinary lateral thinker, and had a knack for learning new things quickly. The modern Superman is much more average in this regard.
    Isn't the only reason Batman "gets away" with "beating Supes" the fact that Superman would try his best not to kill him?
    While Superman's hesitance towards harming his friends is a factor, Batman is also the most absurdly broken character in all of comics. Really, if it is even thinkable for a human being to be able to do anything, Batman has already mastered it. He is an expert in anything and everything remotely relating to crime fighting, he is a brilliant tactician, and he is always prepared.
    If Superman wanted to he could just obliterate the entire city block Batman was hiding in right?
    Sort of. It isn't just an issue of whether Superman wants to do it or not. His sense of psychological restraint is so powerful that it prevents him from exercising his powers in lethal ways, even if he might want to.

That said, a guy with all of Superman's physical power and none of his deeply-ingrained compassion could turn Batman into a cinder from miles away if he wanted to.
    The reason Batman continually beats Superman has nothing to do with 'in story' ideas.

it's simple: Frank Miller did it in DKR, and it was awesome, so awesome that anybody who came after had to try the same thing.

so awesome that it became cliche.

Superman would destroy Batman in a one-on-one fight, even if Batman WERE fighting dirty.
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    Sorry I don't mean for this to degenerate into a vs thread, it's a given that Supes would own Bats if things took a turn for the worst. Thing is what defintes "the worst?"
    What would it take for Supes to pull the stops on his psyche and destroy his opponents?
    What about how he was depicted against "Aliens?"
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    yeah, I'm not in the mood for a versus thread either.

I can't think of very many epic Superman arcs. After you've read "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "Superman for All Seasons", and "For the Man who has Everything"....What else is there?

All Star Superman is a given, but I've read all of that too.
    Exile At The Edge Of Eternity is pretty epic. It's short, but it's epic in scope. Check it out. It's written and drawn by everybody's favorite former escape artists-turned-awesome comic book guy.

Also, six days. Hopefully.
  • kane_warheadkane_warhead Blanka forever Joined: Posts: 1,532
    The reason Batman continually beats Superman has nothing to do with 'in story' ideas.

it's simple: Frank Miller did it in DKR, and it was awesome, so awesome that anybody who came after had to try the same thing.

so awesome that it became cliche.

Superman would destroy Batman in a one-on-one fight, even if Batman WERE fighting dirty.

I don't believe that.

This is Batman, we're talking about. I'm not being a fanboy, but we all know that Superman at it's best would always go to brute force. Batman always has a contingency plan. And even if we go that Superman could just kill Batman at Superspeed with SUper strength or whatever... Batman always has some ace in his sleeve. In continuity, Batman can already sneak up on Superman(I'm talking about the first arc in JLA grant morrison run).

Batman always prepares for everything... And Batman always fights dirty. There are no rules regarding a dirty fight.
    Sunod-Ako.com - Your Total Resource to Philippine Fighting Gaming
    is superman birthright canon?

cause if it is...superman got some broken ass powers in it. lol. soul seeing.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • kane_warheadkane_warhead Blanka forever Joined: Posts: 1,532
    is superman birthright canon?

cause if it is...superman got some broken ass powers in it. lol. soul seeing.

Before the infinite crisis it is. It retcons Man of Steel.

But after the incoming crisis we'll get a new history.
    Sunod-Ako.com - Your Total Resource to Philippine Fighting Gaming
    Before the infinite crisis it is. It retcons Man of Steel.

But after the incoming crisis we'll get a new history.

oh fucking hell....just..just when i thought supes might be kinda cool. fuck.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Yeah, in the intermediate between "Infinite" and "Final" Crisis, I wouldn't get too hung up on what is and isn't canon, because it could all easily change next summer.
    Yeah, in the intermediate between "Infinite" and "Final" Crisis, I wouldn't get too hung up on what is and isn't canon, because it could all easily change next summer.
    I think the official word right now is that Supes currently has no origin. Except, of course, the basic shit that stays consistent among the different versions.

If they have any sense at all, they'll pull their heads out of their asses and just hire Grant Morrison to expand the first four panels of ASS #1 into the new origin story.
    Exile At The Edge Of Eternity is pretty epic. It's short, but it's epic in scope. Check it out. It's written and drawn by everybody's favorite former escape artists-turned-awesome comic book guy.

What issue number is this Steranko story and where can I find it?

Also, Superman vs. Aliens is plain whack garbage.
    What issue number is this Steranko story and where can I find it?
    Superman #400, a whole page back in this thread.

It's in one of the "Greatest Stories Ever Told" collections. Probably the first one.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I :lovin: this thread.

I'm gonna get it outta the way right now. I was not impressed with Superman For All Seasons. Yes, I said it. The book didn't do a thing for me and I'm a huge fan of Loeb/Sale collaberations. OK, I admit that I liked how the story was more about Clark than his blue & red alter ego, and I don't mind a slow paced style story but for some reason, I just didn't really take to this book at all.

Are the current regulae Superman titles, Action Comics and Superman worth reading? Sounds like everyone is just sticking to All-Star Superman.

Superman: Birthright was an awesome story, I thought. A fantastic retelling of Supes origin. No big deal if it isn't cannon anymore.

Speak of Supes origin, why oh why, must DC constantly eff with it every few years? The origin Segiel & Shuster came up with was just fine. There's a reason Spider-Man's story hasn't been screwed with. The reason? Lee & Ditko explained all we needed to Spidey's origin was explained perfectly in just 11 pages. Heck, Morrison sumped up Supes origin perfectly in All-Star Superman #1 in just 8 words and 4 pannels. Guess that isn't good enough for DC. I think they get off screwing with Supe's origin and doing multi-world stories.

Oh and if you're any kind of Superman fan, yiou WILL own all 3 vols. of Superman: TAS. This isn't even something that's up for debate. I mean, if you don't own them, you're an awful human being that no one will ever love. No, scratch that, you aren't even a memeber of the human race. It was thanks to this series that I saw some of the best Superman in animation ever. Dan Turpin get killed by Darkseid's Omega Beams, Superman flying into rage, brilliant, amazingly beautiful stuff. Thanks to STAS, Darkseid became one of my fav Superman villains.
    Yeah, The Animated Series is definitely rock solid. Season three was especially great. Too bad it came to an end... of course, they turned around and did Justice League after that.

DC keeps fucking with Superman's continuity because they have this intense neurosis about whether or not Superman is still relevant. If they'd concentrate less on keeping him relevant and more on just writing some fucking decent stories, like Grant Morrison is, there wouldn't be a problem. Supes is a classic. He'll be relevant if you just stick to what makes him great.
    Four days.
    Three days. Every time I count off another day, I feel like I'm tempting the fates to delay this fucking book again, but according to the DC official site the book is still on schedule for the 14th.
    Monday's a holiday, correct? So is the post office shipping one day later than usual?
    Monday's a holiday, correct? So is the post office shipping one day later than usual?
    You're right. Veterans Day. Which should be Sunday, but more state workers will get the day off if they move it to a Monday. Shit.

Be that as it may, the 14th is still the marked release date, so it retains its symbolic power. And what is Superman about, if not symbolic power?

Two days... sort of. Fuck you guys; give us the god damn book already...
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,062 mod
    Yeah it comes out this Wednesday, no delay. The only veterans comic books care about are Sgt. Rock and Captain America. :rofl:
    Yeah it comes out this Wednesday, no delay. The only veterans comic books care about are Sgt. Rock and Captain America.
    I see a "Definitive Comic Book Characters Who Are/Were Soldiers" thread on the horizon.

Anyway, good news for ASS lovers everywhere.
    I see a "Definitive Comic Book Characters Who Are/Were Soldiers" thread on the horizon.

Yeah Flash Thompson served in Viet Nam but it's never mentioned again due to it being something that would make him ancient, so now he just served overseas somewhere. That's a crash course in comic book characters who were soldiers right there... :rofl:

Well big up to all the veterans in real life anyway. It's pretty neat when you read comics that date back to the 60s that if you read the letters page you'll see lots of them were written by people in the armed forces. :tup:
    Yeah Flash Thompson served in Viet Nam but it's never mentioned again due to it being something that would make him ancient, so now he just served overseas somewhere. That's a crash course in comic book characters who were soldiers right there... :rofl:
    Didn't Ben and Reed actually serve together in WWII?
    Not only that, but Wolverine teamed up with Richard and Mary Parker back in either WWII or sometime during the early Cold War, back when Spider-Man's parents were hardcore agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    So Superman has participated in wars too before right? Did he get in on the punching Hitler in the face action that was going on back then?
    So Superman has participated in wars too before right? Did he get in on the punching Hitler in the face action that was going on back then?
    Supes didn't really touch the war. There was a lot of WWII themed cover art, but as for the stories themselves, there was one that ran in Look Magazine that featured Superman singlehandedly apprehending Hitler and Stalin. This, of course, was before the United States actually entered the war, so showing Supes roughing up Stalin wasn't politically incorrect yet. Anyway, that's the only actual Superman war story that I can think of, and it wasn't even in Action Comics or Superman.

What's more remarkable is seeing 30 year old Supes taking care of the problems of the Great Depression. Now, almost 70 years on, he's still in his 30s and he's... well, he isn't really handling the problems of today, unless you count ludicrous continuity shifts to be a modern day problem. Which I do.