Hi-Def Sprite thread (first post updated! 1/9)

Comments

• cmymancmyman Joined: Posts: 24
  • gmbluedestinygmbluedestiny Joined: Posts: 102
    no problem haha
  • pootnanniespootnannies mr. negative Joined: Posts: 3,165
    decided to do an original. it's the Hell Knight from Doom 3 in 80x59

real size:
    hkdoom32copy.png

blown up:
    hkdoomcopy.png

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • ScissormanScissorman Neal D. Anderson Joined: Posts: 1,170
    Whoa, that's awesome poot! Doom 3 rocked, and that was one of my fave monster redesigns!
    thanks. i liked doom3 also, just not as a doom game, but the monster designs were awesome!

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Nice, Doom 3 is pretty awesome! Cool job pootnannies!
  • BigbossBigboss Still can't DP Joined: Posts: 126
    Well.. I'm a little late to this party it seems. I had the idea awhile back to do some high(er) resolution animations and stuff for fun.. maybe even plug them into mugen or something if I ever cared to kill my hands... I didnt actually think of the trace method though... that's a really good idea. I did the ol look and draw with each frame.. which kind of lead this animation to look way too technical and very imperfect... It's a lot of work to get these things going, maybe I can get some inspiration to get this finished.

HD_Remix_Felicia_fixed.gif
  • SasmastaSasmasta Joined: Posts: 6,270
    Wow, that looks pretty dope, Bigboss.

Hope you get inspired. That would look mint if finished.
    :eek: -"They ate what from a cup!?"
    looks like your onto a great start Bigboss. i see some lines that are jumping around, especially her leg muscles but you can tween them in photoshop with layers or use image ready or better yet (imho) use flash to animate the roughs and then bring it back into photoshop and retrace it there. can't wait to see it finished! keep us posted on your progress

• NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Probably never going to finish this but I guess Ill post it anyway.

donnyani.gif
    Well, I decided to give it another go today instead of just letting it sit. I decided to grab an actual sprite rip and lining it up instead of the lookie method. It didn't match up quite as well as I'd hoped it would. Not that I'm surprised- my animation skills are pretty weak. Anyway, now that I have a guide of sorts it shouldn't be too hard to hammer out the jitters and get rid of the extreme definition. Felicia doesn't need to be THAT muscular.

UPDATE: Thought I would add a bit of progress here.. I cleaned up the lineart on the first frame quite a bit.. as you can see there's more to it. I've got a color pallet going as well... Not just a simple reuse of the original- anything worth improving on is worth going all the way with. However I'm going to need to work on the lines I have.. not 100% happy with them. She's lacking some crucial inner details as well.. That's something for the coloring stage.

Felicia_cleanlineart.jpg
    Probably never going to finish this but I guess Ill post it anyway.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5475/donnyani.gif

damn, i hope you finish that one! that's badass!
    Well, I decided to give it another go today instead of just letting it sit. I decided to grab an actual sprite rip and lining it up instead of the lookie method. It didn't match up quite as well as I'd hoped it would. Not that I'm surprised- my animation skills are pretty weak. Anyway, now that I have a guide of sorts it shouldn't be too hard to hammer out the jitters and get rid of the extreme definition. Felicia doesn't need to be THAT muscular.

UPDATE: Thought I would add a bit of progress here.. I cleaned up the lineart on the first frame quite a bit.. as you can see there's more to it. I've got a color pallet going as well... Not just a simple reuse of the original- anything worth improving on is worth going all the way with. However I'm going to need to work on the lines I have.. not 100% happy with them. She's lacking some crucial inner details as well.. That's something for the coloring stage.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Hironaga/Felicia_cleanlineart.jpg

looking really good so far. keep at it, it'll be worth the effort

I like where this...IS GOING!
    Some progress- I'm not that great at tracing it turns out. It really suffers from jumpy line syndrome.. rest assured that it Will be corrected! Felicia's idle stance is 14 frames long.. so it got a little mind numbing. I do plan on correcting some things that I'd like to see fixed in the animation.. according to capcom her right shoulder is as big around as her torso.. I'd like to get her hand motions to be a little more circular as well. maybe some more secondary animation fixes too. I'll need to get out the big book of anatomy to get the appropriate details in her arms and midsection. But take a look and let me know what you think.

Felicia_idle.gif

and the original:

dark1.gif
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    So I hear theres some talent here on SRK. I'm posting here cause I've contributed a few half-done sprites, and I don't know if there is a need to make a new thread.
    I'm looking for anyone interested in world/setting/character design for a fighting game. I was the lead and only programmer for SkullGirls for 2 years. I have since separated from the group and personally sick of artists who want to make games but know nothing about the games they want to make. I have a complete engine programmed with the content tools along with it, and I believe I have enough experience with my previous projects to really get this thing moving. Maybe there are people around here who have already created characters for a fighting game, but don't have the time, ability, or commitment to develop it themselves.

So if you guys know anyone thats interested, please have them send me a private message.
  • mikrosmikros Yo, Joe! Joined: Posts: 1,034
    Chun Li's continue pose from SFIV had potential for fun outfits, so i made a sprite base off it and started making clothes for her: cheerleader outfit inspired by the one in Pocket Fighter; her outfit from her SNES SF2 ending; and Li-Li's outfit from Capcom Sports club.

chunnhbpg1.gif

I have also thought of Mai Shiranui's outfit, the waitress outfit of a Range Murata Pinky doll and Sailor Moon's outfit. More ideas are welcome.
    interesting chun li's, mikros. i really like the shadow detail on them. my favorite is the one in the middle for some reason. please do more:lovin:

• Tokoyama2000Tokoyama2000 Joined: Posts: 681
    keep up the mint work, bigboss. i can't wait to see this thing finished
    http://www.edwinhuang.com <--- portfolio site
    ironpinky <--- twitter
    You and me both... Unfortunately I have no less than 8 art projects this month so I'm not sure when the next update here will be... I'm not going to be posting any more on it until it's 90-100% done- otherwise it would get pretty annoying.
  • HumpskiHumpski The Scarlet Terror Joined: Posts: 676
    my favorite is the one in the middle for some reason.

It's because of the short shorts. :rock:
    Follow me on twiiter! Let's get Poison some great Ultra SF4 buffs.
    https://twitter.com/Poison_UltraSF4
    Hey pootnannies,

I am currently rearranging the picture order on my DevArt page. So a lot of the links found on the first page of this thread are no longer working or have been deleted. Nevertheless, ill pm u a shitload of new links under the same names u placed on the first page for my work once everything is finalized. As a side note, I have time again to try out some new techniques for "hd-ing" sprites now that its summer.

Anyways, glad to see some awesome work recently done from all of u. Hope to see more.
  • MechaPyronHaHa!MechaPyronHaHa! Quite a Name Joined: Posts: 31
    1. Prov, I came into this thread randomly, and now I dont' want to touch SFHD anymore, becuase everything you are making blows that game out of the water. I know it would be expensive for Udon to do this, but maaaaaaaaaaan! It looks amazing

2.Blak, I really want to see you do an animated sprite. of anyone, your style is so freaking dynamic and actiony, Sean looked like he was in the middle of a dribble, Spider-Man is just purity, and Venom is amazing as well. I am loving everything you make.

3. Poot, go apply to Udon plz, or ARC or someone lol! IMO you could make a doujin fighter.

EDIT: Then I see neoBlood with remakes of my damn favorite fighter in TMNT
    I guess I'll be doing some downloading, I am truly inspired to try this out now!
    Trident White gum
    Hey pootnannies,

I am currently rearranging the picture order on my DevArt page. So a lot of the links found on the first page of this thread are no longer working or have been deleted. Nevertheless, ill pm u a shitload of new links under the same names u placed on the first page for my work once everything is finalized. As a side note, I have time again to try out some new techniques for "hd-ing" sprites now that its summer.

Anyways, glad to see some awesome work recently done from all of u. Hope to see more.

sure no problem
    1. Prov, I came into this thread randomly, and now I dont' want to touch SFHD anymore, becuase everything you are making blows that game out of the water. I know it would be expensive for Udon to do this, but maaaaaaaaaaan! It looks amazing

2.Blak, I really want to see you do an animated sprite. of anyone, your style is so freaking dynamic and actiony, Sean looked like he was in the middle of a dribble, Spider-Man is just purity, and Venom is amazing as well. I am loving everything you make.

3. Poot, go apply to Udon plz, or ARC or someone lol! IMO you could make a doujin fighter.

EDIT: Then I see neoBlood with remakes of my damn favorite fighter in TMNT
    I guess I'll be doing some downloading, I am truly inspired to try this out now!

thanks. i'm actually planning on doing animation for a fighting game with a friend who programs. we'll see how that turns out.

i hope well see more from Bigboss as well. hope you don't give up on your project.

• dj_ShwAydj_ShwAy Practice makes PERFECT. Joined: Posts: 20
    tahts some good stuff.
    Jimmy T. Tran
    Xbl---djshway
    Main: Boxer Alt: Blanka, M.Bison
    Feel free to invite me, i would always like some practice good or bad.
    No need to worry about me abandoning this.. I've already spent so much freetime on it that it would be an absolute waste not to finish. Like I said before I have several art projects that I'm trying to tackle at once- 5 of them for my real job no less. I think a lot of people will be pleased with the final results but I'm just not in a position to reveal anything yet. I'd rather have a (pretty damn close to) finished product before I start taking up more forum bandwidth. I'm looking to blow those Udon sprites out of the water; since they're an embarrassment for the most part.
  • dragonJABdragonJAB street fighter men Joined: Posts: 352
    No need to worry about me abandoning this.. I've already spent so much freetime on it that it would be an absolute waste not to finish. Like I said before I have several art projects that I'm trying to tackle at once- 5 of them for my real job no less. I think a lot of people will be pleased with the final results but I'm just not in a position to reveal anything yet. I'd rather have a (pretty damn close to) finished product before I start taking up more forum bandwidth. I'm looking to blow those Udon sprites out of the water; since they're an embarrassment for the most part.

Can't wait until we see the finish product men.
    av's by
    = BIGWORM, Muffin,DominoLogic
    and the one and only Monkeyspank
  • Mr ListMr List Lord of the Scrubs Joined: Posts: 1,393
    i dont get why all the hd sprites on this forum seem to look exactly like the low res versions but nice and crisp and clear
    but hdremix sprites look nothing liek the originals.
    Hey hey let's go kenka suru , Taisetsu no mono protect my balls! Boku ga warui so let's fighting...
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
    Depends on your point of view. Is it a good thing, or a bad thing that Udon's sprites are different? They went about actually redrawing every single sprite.. Not very well; but that's what went down. For the most part people in this thread have faithfully recreated what the original sprite actually is. I think being faithful to the original is more aesthetically pleasing than trying to completely reinvent the wheel. I'm going for a mixture of style, redrawing what I need to while trying to keep the charm of the original.
    Depends on your point of view. Is it a good thing, or a bad thing that Udon's sprites are different? They went about actually redrawing every single sprite.. Not very well; but that's what went down. For the most part people in this thread have faithfully recreated what the original sprite actually is. I think being faithful to the original is more aesthetically pleasing than trying to completely reinvent the wheel. I'm going for a mixture of style, redrawing what I need to while trying to keep the charm of the original.

well said. that's exactly what i think too:wgrin:

• SDCSDC Joined: Posts: 21
    This thread is really, really impressive.
    Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted something here. Anyways here is something for all of u.

3bfb088757f3a6ee2fdbffc2eca26c9d.jpg
    Damn! Baby got back...and legs...and calves.

But I am fond of a thick chick.

Perhaps shed down her foot width though. Keep my dream alive.
    aight ill try to keep ur dream in mind Sas. Might make her left leg a bit thinner though. Well see though once I get the chance to color her and add more detail. :)
    aight ill try to keep ur dream in mind Sas. Might make her left leg a bit thinner though. Well see though once I get the chance to color her and add more detail. :)

just need to thin her ankle and adjust the width of her foot and she should be perfect!

• ExMachinaExMachina valar morghulis Joined: Posts: 276
    Bored~ This is basically a retrace - just goes to show how much detail is already in the SF3 sprites. Didn't do any blending, so I'll just post it at half size.

makotofirstdraft.gif
    r4r3truffle.deviantart.com || gamersatuva.com || PSN/Steam - exmakina || GFWL - ExMachina13
    Wow, I like that Makoto because her face is showing.

It's hard to find some nice Makoto art where she isn't all steroided out...

or being pelted by ****s.
    Bored~ This is basically a retrace - just goes to show how much detail is already in the SF3 sprites. Didn't do any blending, so I'll just post it at half size.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/285/makotofirstdraft.gif

nice! good job dude:tup:

• wakasashewakasashe www.thefedups.com Joined: Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Whoa definitely awesome Makoto!
    Shakin' them lightning legs since '91.
    ---
    fedexfightnights.blogspot.com
    wakasashe.blogspot.com
  • NeskNesk Hadouken! Joined: Posts: 388
    Working on an Abel HD sprite, tell me what you guys think.

abelwip.png
    SSFIV: Balrog, Adon, Ryu
    My fight moneeyyyyyy!!