Spider-Man, The Amazing Thread

Comments

• thecarnalcorpsethecarnalcorpse ~Damaged Joined: Posts: 285
    I'm curious, did anyone enjoy Spider-Man : Reign? There was quite a bit of hype for it, and then it sort of died out. I thought it was a beautiful mini-series, Kaare Andrews did a wonderful job. Seeing Spider-Man in that Dark Knight Returns-esque story was quite a change of pace. Its probably one of the darkest, but most inspirational Spidey stories I've ever read. In fact, I'm not afraid to admit I got a little emotional while reading it. I thought the similiarities of the art to that in "The Dark Knight Returns" was a bit too much, but obviously, this was Andrews' homage to Frank Miller.
  • kane_warheadkane_warhead Blanka forever Joined: Posts: 1,532
    I'm curious, did anyone enjoy Spider-Man : Reign? There was quite a bit of hype for it, and then it sort of died out. I thought it was a beautiful mini-series, Kaare Andrews did a wonderful job. Seeing Spider-Man in that Dark Knight Returns-esque story was quite a change of pace. Its probably one of the darkest, but most inspirational Spidey stories I've ever read. In fact, I'm not afraid to admit I got a little emotional while reading it. I thought the similiarities of the art to that in "The Dark Knight Returns" was a bit too much, but obviously, this was Andrews' homage to Frank Miller.

I enjoyed it alot
    Sunod-Ako.com - Your Total Resource to Philippine Fighting Gaming
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I thought the first issue to Reign was one of the best single issues of Spider-Man I had read in a long time. The rest of it was still really good to me, but I think that first issue set the bar so high that there was no way I could reasonably expect the remaining issues to measure up. I'll probably reread it one of these days and see how it feels. Artwork was gorgeous, pacing was great. I think it hedges a little too closely to DKR in terms of conceit and tone, and in the end I didn't really see why Andrews worked so hard on maintaining that homage feel. That feeling worked great in issue one but I think the series as a whole could have been even better than it was if he drifted a little away from his most obvious reference point.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • SerpentSerpent Holy Phoenix Joined: Posts: 3,730
    Haha I always considered Hobgoblin Spidey's defining villain. People always claim it's someone like Venom but he really only spend maybe 4-10 issues combined being relevant, plus Maximum Carnage if you want to count that, but that's more of a Carnage vs Spidey/Venom thing. Meanwhile Hobby....spends something like 100 issues making Peter's life miserable and then follows him into the Wolverine crossover too!

You can skip the first 100 or so ASMs. It's really old and it shows. I mean if you REALLY want to see one dimensional Lizard and Vulture by all means go for it, but I think you are better off skipping to around 150 or so and then reading until right before the Clone Saga, which everyone says to skip (and I managed to avoid).

JMS...doesn't know how to write the characters. He has absolutely no grasp of MJ and May. I bet he was the driving force behind Civil War and having Peter's identity revealed, which I bet they still haven't resolved (I am behind a few issues now because I was disgusted). Back in Black probably ends with Spidey doing his usual copout "wait what am I doing this is wrong" act, so it's kind of a stupid angle to ever use. Maximum Carnage did that type of issue a lot better.

Ultimate Spidey starts off okay but it really bogs down around the 90s. I don't think I like any of the Ultimate series comic books. There was some Iron Man one awhile back but I think it got discontinued. His wife divorces him and theres some new type of armor that you can just sort of paint onto yourself, but I think it makes you crazy or something. I dunno, they only wrote like 2 issues and they were like 4 months apart so I gave up on it. Maybe udon was writing it.
    Haha I always considered Hobgoblin Spidey's defining villain. People always claim it's someone like Venom but he really only spend maybe 4-10 issues combined being relevant, plus Maximum Carnage if you want to count that, but that's more of a Carnage vs Spidey/Venom thing. Meanwhile Hobby....spends something like 100 issues making Peter's life miserable and then follows him into the Wolverine crossover too!

You can skip the first 100 or so ASMs. It's really old and it shows. I mean if you REALLY want to see one dimensional Lizard and Vulture by all means go for it, but I think you are better off skipping to around 150 or so and then reading until right before the Clone Saga, which everyone says to skip (and I managed to avoid).

JMS...doesn't know how to write the characters. He has absolutely no grasp of MJ and May. I bet he was the driving force behind Civil War and having Peter's identity revealed, which I bet they still haven't resolved (I am behind a few issues now because I was disgusted). Back in Black probably ends with Spidey doing his usual copout "wait what am I doing this is wrong" act, so it's kind of a stupid angle to ever use. Maximum Carnage did that type of issue a lot better.

Ultimate Spidey starts off okay but it really bogs down around the 90s. I don't think I like any of the Ultimate series comic books. There was some Iron Man one awhile back but I think it got discontinued. His wife divorces him and theres some new type of armor that you can just sort of paint onto yourself, but I think it makes you crazy or something. I dunno, they only wrote like 2 issues and they were like 4 months apart so I gave up on it. Maybe udon was writing it.

They already resolved Spidey's identity being exposed to the world.
    They already resolved Spidey's identity being exposed to the world.

How? Use a spoiler tag or PM it to me. Thanks.
    How? Use a spoiler tag or PM it to me. Thanks.

It happened during Avengers: The Initiative #7
    The Scarlet Spiders to thank Peter for helping them beat the vultures. Exposed themselves to the News that they are part of a government black ops of Spidermaen and Peter Parker was fired after the Civil War fiasco. They dressed as the red and blue spiderman, black spider man and Iron spiderman. They announced that after their announcement Peter Parker is no longer associated withe black ops and will no longer have powers.

Peter thanked them for getting the media off his back and being privy about his secret identity again
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Scarlet Spiders to thank Peter for helping them beat the vultures. Exposed themselves to the News that they are part of a government black ops of Spidermaen and Peter Parker was fired after the Civil War fiasco. They dressed as the red and blue spiderman, black spider man and Iron spiderman. They announced that after their announcement Peter Parker is no longer associated withe black ops and will no longer have powers.

Peter thanked them for getting the media off his back and being privy about his secret identity again

Huh, well that's interesting. Had a feeling Marvel wasn't gonna keep Spidey's ID out in the open. Does the super hero community at least still know his ID. Either way, this will satisfy a lot of fans that hated Spidey unmasking.

MJ is one horny wife. Seems like Peter and MJ are always doing it like rabbits on the Discovery Channel. :rofl:
    There was some Iron Man one awhile back but I think it got discontinued. His wife divorces him and theres some new type of armor that you can just sort of paint onto yourself, but I think it makes you crazy or something. I dunno, they only wrote like 2 issues and they were like 4 months apart so I gave up on it. Maybe udon was writing it.

Ultimate Iron Man was a complete 5 issue miniseries and it available as a TRADE, BABY. Orson Scott Card wrote it. The next volume of the story is set to begin either next month or early next year, again written by Card.

I'm gonna have to say, in my best

That sounds like something DC would do. I guess it doesn't really matter, though. Looks like the whole thing will be resolved anyway in Spider-Man's own books.
    MJ is one horny wife. Seems like Peter and MJ are always doing it like rabbits on the Discovery Channel. :rofl:

Yeah. My favorite was that time they did it on the ceiling in Aunt May's house. While Aunt May was in the room. Good thing old people have weak hearing skills.
    That's dumb. How are they going to convince superheroes and supervillains that the story isn't just a fake? How did JJ react to it? I doubt kingpin buys it, last I saw he was busy trying to kill May and MJ.

I don't think I need a spoiler for this but just in case.

edit-actually I have no clue how to use the spoiler tags here, that's how it is on other mbs...oh well.
    Wait, Peter banged MJ on then ceiling in Aunt May's house? When was this? Was it during Howard Mackie's run on the relaunched ASM?
    That's dumb. How are they going to convince superheroes and supervillains that the story isn't just a fake? How did JJ react to it? I doubt kingpin buys it, last I saw he was busy trying to kill May and MJ.
    JJ is confused. He doesn't even know what to believe anymore. The new Scarlet Spider group are totally black ops anyway. They showed that they can also assume civilian identities.
  • 4Play4Play Galactic Asshole Joined: Posts: 1,534
    Wait, Peter banged MJ on then ceiling in Aunt May's house? When was this? Was it during Howard Mackie's run on the relaunched ASM?

Yeah I wanna know too. Sounds like something from the '90s.
    SRK: 4Play(main), redpremium.
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod
    Reggie - You asked me before, I think in the Marvel thread but I'll just respond here. I finally got around to watching Spider-Man 2.1. Well I watched all of the Spidey movies back to back on Friday when I was in my turkey coma lol! Anyway, 2.1 rules! You won't be disapointed with the extended footage. One of the best if not the best superhero movies just got better! I'll put this in spoilers just in case.
    There's lots of bonus material in it, stuff that got cut from the final film due to time constraints most likely so a lot of the scenes are extended. One of the more important scenes is when Peter Parker is talking to the doctor. The line where Peter Parker tries to use his powers and says "Strong desire for what I want" makes a lot more sense now because it is something that came up in the conversation with the doc. There is also a scene where MJ's actress girlfriend talks to MJ about accepting the proposal to JJJ's son way too fast. The first Doc Ock fight scene is a little bit longer too. There's lots of other extended scenes like these in the movie.

The best stuff has to be, remember that guy who got in the elevator with Spider-Man? The scene is entirely different, it's the same guy but the dialog isn't the same. It turns out he's a PR guy who wants to promote Spider-Man and sell merchandise based on him, he comes up with "Thwip" cologne. :rofl: He hands Spider-Man his business card and Spidey says "I don't have any pockets!" :rofl: Oh and the best part in all of 2.1 is there's a scene where JJJ puts on the Spidey outfit that he had in his office! He has the entire suit on without the mask and is jumping on tables pretending to shoot webs! Betty, Hoffman (Ted Raimi) and Robertson are all looking at him through his office window like WTF. Damn it's worth getting just for that scene! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    I personally own 2.1, but it doesn't make a huge difference to me. The added/changed stuff is a mild curiosity, but if you already own the original version of 2, you might just rent 2.1.

The new Hal Sparks scene is funny, but I found Jameson prancing around in the Spidey suit a little creepy. Like, if I were Spidey, I would probably just make a new costume after seeing that scene.

Sorry, dude. I just made that up to amuse myself. I don't think Spider-Man is allowed to have blatant sex. But who knows, maybe sano will write and illustrate a fanfic.
    Sorry, dude. I just made that up to amuse myself. I don't think Spider-Man is allowed to have blatant sex. But who knows, maybe sano will write and illustrate a fanfic.

Maybe if it's "The Other" Spider-Man and I get to use tentacles somehow. :badboy:
    I think it hedges a little too closely to DKR in terms of conceit and tone, and in the end I didn't really see why Andrews worked so hard on maintaining that homage feel. That feeling worked great in issue one but I think the series as a whole could have been even better than it was if he drifted a little away from his most obvious reference point.

I couldn't agree more.

I had no idea about this, and I gotta say that's weak. With as much hype as Spidey's un-masking created, Marvel picked a pretty lame way to smooth it over. I know comics are constantly evolving...but, that's what, 40+ years of continuity radically undone and suddenly resolved in the span of a couple of months? Un-masking should mean something. Fucking 'nuff said. :/

I had no idea about this, and I gotta say that's weak. With as much hype as Spidey's un-masking created, Marvel picked a pretty lame way to smooth it over. I know comics are constantly evolving...but, that's what, 40+ years of continuity radically undone and suddenly resolved in the span of a couple of months? Un-masking should mean something. Fucking 'nuff said. :/

Marvel probably realized they done 'effed up. They couldn't keep Spidey unmasked so they probably figured a quick bandaid fix, even a sucky one, would get the job done.

One Spidey villain I want to see come back is Tombstone. Gerry Conway wrote a great 4-part story on in on his run with Spectacular Spider-Man. Robbie had evidence to put Tombstone away but he was so freaked by Tombstone that he wouldn't talk. And Tombstone killed A LOT of people. Robbie wouldn't say jack. And in Tombstone's mind, the reason he didn't kille Robbie (just broke his back), was because he felt he was his friend.

This is something I've been wondering about: just who is Spidey's best friend in the super hero community? Is it The Human Torch or Daredevil? Seems like Spidey's kicked it more times with the Torch and DD, but DD knew who Peter was. Of course Spidey and Torch had this "usual place" they'd meet up at (Note: A No-Prize Award for the person who guesses Spidey & Torche's meeting place). Spidey and DD clashes on several occasions but not nearly as many times as Spidey clashed with the Torch.
    ^ Human Torch more likely.
    Marvel probably realized they done 'effed up. They couldn't keep Spidey unmasked so they probably figured a quick bandaid fix, even a sucky one, would get the job done.

I don't think that Avengers has really resolved it - and by "resolve," I mean that the writers have closed the book on the entire issue of his public identity. I feel like that's something Slott tossed in to give readers a bigger sense of a connected universe. I think everything important that's happening to Spider-Man is taking place in his book.

Logically, just 'cause those government ops dudes told the media a lie doesn't mean that the public believes them. People still believe Matt Murdock is Daredevil, so I'm sure there are still people in the Marvel Universe who still think Peter is Spidey.
    One Spidey villain I want to see come back is Tombstone.

Y'know, this reminds me of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. It was only about 21 issues, but almost every single issue was PURE GOLD. Unfortunately, there was a shitty two-parter that featured Tombstone - the only blemish on an otherwise fine run of Spidey comics. Daniel Way wrote that Tombstone story, so no surprise there, I guess.

But everyone's gotta track down the Tangled Web TPBs. Should be three or four of them. It's top tier creators taking turns to write Spidey stories. There's a rad Garth Ennis three parter, a Bruce Jones/Lee Weeks three parter, a Rucka/Risso issue, a Jim Mahfood issue, an Azzarello issue, a Paul Pope issue... They're all awesome. COOKE even did two giant-size issues.

And Tangled Web is where Milligan and Fegredo did the "Flowers for Rhino" story, one of my all-time favorite Spidey stories. Crossing Flowers for Algernon with the Rhino makes for some surprising tragedy and comedy. Most Spidey stories seem to be about one or the other, but Flowers for Rhino hit all the spots.
    This is something I've been wondering about: just who is Spidey's best friend in the super hero community? Is it The Human Torch or Daredevil? Seems like Spidey's kicked it more times with the Torch and DD, but DD knew who Peter was. Of course Spidey and Torch had this "usual place" they'd meet up at (Note: A No-Prize Award for the person who guesses Spidey & Torche's meeting place). Spidey and DD clashes on several occasions but not nearly as many times as Spidey clashed with the Torch.

I would also say Human Torch is Spidey's best superhero friend. Mostly because they are actually good friends. I think DD tolerates Peter more than he enjoys sharing a friendship with him. Matt can be a pretty arrogant person and I think he finds Peter's sense of humor and general sense of self-deprecation to be quite annoying.

Like when Daredevil was going through the worst time of his life, he didn't turn to Peter. Even when Peter reached out to him, Matt basically just brushed him off and told him to bug off. I don't think Matt is really close to anybody other than Foggy and maybe Ben Urich.

The Torch and Spidey hang out even when it's not a team-up. They both respect each other, even if I doubt they would ever admit out loud. They joke around with each other like pals and they've gone to each other for pep talks when they were in dire straits.

Plus, they got that romantic special spot at the top of the Statue of Liberty, baby.
    Zeph, you get the No-Prize for guessin Spidey & Torch's meeting place!! :rock:

I read a single issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. It was a reprinted issue in the Spider-Man Movie TPB. Was about these two kids living in an apartment. The younger brother is watching TV, the older brother is watching his little bro. Electro knocks Spidey into their apartment. The kids stand up to Electro and almost get killed for it, but Spidey owns Electro. There's a cool bit at the end of how a hero does what he can, whether he wears spandex or not. Good stuff.

I've heard about that Flowers for Rhino story. I guess I'll be picking up the Tangled Web trades to read it. Bummer about that Tombstone story. Why must they crap on a good villain like that?

DD can be arrogant? I guess I haven't read enough DD to know. I've only read 10 issues of DD my whole life. Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil arc (vol. 2 of DD #1-8) and Bendis DD #35 and #41, I believe. I thought Spidey might be DD's best friend among super heroes but that could be Iron Fist. Like I said, I haven't read much DD. Seems like Spidey and Torch are closer buds. Kinda hard to imagine seeing as they were always at odds with each other back in the day. :rofl:
    Yeah, that Electro story in Tangled Web was by Kaare Andrews, the same guy who did Reign. It's pretty cool how different his art is on those two projects. I didn't even realize it was the same guy.

DD is a loner who has a lot of pride. He isn't always an arrogant blowhard, but he has it in him to ignore people who are trying to look out for him. He's the type of guy who believes in himself and that his own way of doing things is right. If you think about it, he's basically got the perfect supervillain origin, except that for some reason he consciously chose to be a hero. That's one of the things that makes him so fascinating. Going all the way back to the Miller stuff, and up to the Bendis and Bru stuff, you can really get the sense sometimes that Matt is his own worst enemy.

Bonus feature: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=litg/2007/1126/18112007145.jpg
    Spider-Man: The End
    You know, about Tombstone, I just remembered that he showed up in the Brubaker/Lark Daredevil a couple months ago. Just another reason to start reading DD.
    You know, about Tombstone, I just remembered that he showed up in the Brubaker/Lark Daredevil a couple months ago. Just another reason to start reading DD.

Well good thing someone brought him back. I love those hitman style villians.

Oh and every Spidey fan should check out Spider-Man: The Icon. It's a huge $50 book that detail's Spidey's history and all things Spidey from toys, the movies, everything. LOTS of cool pictures to look at.

Next Spidey trade I get will be Kraven's Last Hunt as I never did read the entire story arc.
    Well good thing someone brought him back. I love those hitman style villians.

Oh and every Spidey fan should check out Spider-Man: The Icon. It's a huge $50 book that detail's Spidey's history and all things Spidey from toys, the movies, everything. LOTS of cool pictures to look at.

Next Spidey trade I get will be Kraven's Last Hunt as I never did read the entire story arc.

You should definitely hit the Last Hunt, it's easily one of the best Spidey stories I've ever read. It's pretty simliar to Reign in that it has a greater sense of realism to it than most stories. However, where Reign has that depressing, gritty feel, Last Hunt is just fucking grim and disturbing.
    Kraven's Last Hunt is excellent. Who can forget the rat fighting against a spider while Spider-Man was fighting Vermin? That story was years ahead of its time.
    Spider-Man Icon book, you can check out some pages for free. ^_^

http://www.spidermantheicon.com/see_inside.html

Spider-Man's history too. Groovy! LOL I had that Spidey Secret Wars Toy with that Hologram Shield long ago, the black suit one was dope too. :tup:

http://www.spidermantheicon.com/history.html
    Kraven's Last Hunt is one of the many reasons DeMatties is the man. I was thinking of making a list of must read Spider-Man stories to post here. Kraven's Last Hunt is definitly top tier material and so is The Death of Gwen Stacey. Another great story that always gets overshadowed due to Gwen's death is The Death of Captain Stacey. He dies in Amazing Spidey #90 as a result of saving a child from falling debre caused by Spidey's fight with Doc Ock. The kicker? Ock's tentacles go wild due to Spidey spraying them with a special web fluid that would cause the mad doctor to lose control of them. ASM #90 is one of my all-time fav Spidey comics due to the last few pannels at the end. Very, touching stuff. The arc starts in ASM #88.

sano, good looking out on Spider Man: The Icon. :tup:
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    There was a second story concerning the fallout of The Last hunt, read it as a kid. It's probably not as awesome as I remember it being, but check it out for the scariest rendition of The Lizard ever, drawn by Todd Mcfarelane.

Info here on the villian it featured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_%28comics%29
    Man, like five years ago I found a TPB of T-Mac's Torment arc for 2 bucks. I can't believe I wasted two bucks on that - what was I thinking??? I probably wasn't thinking at all. Boy, it's hard to believe that Spider-Man #1 is one of the top-selling comics of all time.
    The Spider-Man One More Day / Brand New Day E-Drama continues! Dan Slott, future Brand New Day writer talking back to someone dissing his work -

Chill, biscuit.

Take a breath. Read an issue or two first. I'm VERY proud of SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH. But that project was a very specific animal. Every member of the new AMAZING SPIDER-MAN writing team is fully aware that this is AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and what that entails.

If you think it's going to be a non-stop-yuck-fest...
    If you think this book is NOT going to have intense moments...
    If you think this book is NOT going to have a balance between fun and seriousness...

...then it is my proud duty to assure you that you are completely wrong.

I hope two months from now, after you've seen the first arc, I'll have brought you around. I don't know how much of my work you've read in the past-- but it's not all SHE-HULK, and SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH. There've been darker projects, like ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL and more mainstream titles like AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE. I like to think that somewhere between that and POWERPUFF GIRLS I've shown a pretty good range.

I believe the one consistant element in my work-- going all the way back to my licensed property days-- with things like REN & STIMPY, TEENAGE NINJA MUTANT TURTLES, and BATMAN ADVENTURES-- is that I invest a lot of time, energy, and passion into studying whatever property I'm working on, getting the feel and the "voices" right, and providing NEW units of that entertainment. Give me some credit here. This is AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. It's not SPIDER-MAN-JOKE-TIME-THEATER.

It's my job, my pleasure, and my greatest dream come true-- to GIVE you the BEST issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN that I can. And that means AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. I understand that. It's a compact I have with the readership and I sincerely take that to heart.

Source -

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=137818&page=2

And what the heck, JMS not down with the story he's writing, One More Day?

Speak of the devil and he shall appear....

For whatever it's worth, the situation is not as clear cut as one
    might hope. The reality of any writer workingfor any company, DC or
    Marvel or Image, is that when you're handed a franchise character,
    you're basically entrusted with something that the company owns, and
    the company has final say in what happens to that character, because
    as a writer, you're only there for a certain amount of time and then
    the next guy has to come in. Spider-Man belongs to Marvel, not to me,
    and at the end of the day, however much I may disagree with things,
    and however much I may make it very CLEAR to all parties that I
    disagree, I have to honor their position.

In the Gwen storyline, yes, I wanted it to be Peter's kids, Joe over-
    rode that, which is his right as EIC. I got the flack for that
    decision, but them's the breaks.

In the current storyline, there's a lot that I don't agree with, and I
    made this very clear to everybody within shouting distance at Marvel,
    especially Joe. I'll be honest: there was a point where I made the
    decision, and told Joe, that I was going to take my name off the last
    two issues of the OMD arc. Eventually Joe talked me out of that
    decision because at the end of the day, I don't want to sabotage Joe
    or Marvel, and I have a lot of respect for both of those. As an
    executive producer as well as a writer, I've sometimes had to insist
    that my writers make changes that they did not want to make, often
    loudly so. They were sure I was wrong. Mostly I was right.
    Sometimes I was wrong. But whoever sits in the editor's chair, or the
    executive producer's chair, wears the pointy hat of authority, and as
    Dave Sim once noted, you can't argue with a pointy hat.

So at the end of the day, all one can do is try to do the best one can
    with the notes one is given, and try to execute them in a professional
    way...because who knows, the other guy may be right. The only thing I
    *can* tell you, with absolute certainty, is that what Joe does with
    Spidey and all the rest of the Marvel characters, he does out of a
    genuine love of the character. He's not looking to sabotage anything,
    he's not looking to piss off the fans, he genuinely believes in the
    rightness of his views not out of a sense of "I'm the boss" but
    because he loves these characters and the Marvel universe.

And right or wrong, you have to respect that.

jms

Source -

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17697

Ha ha I wonder if Marvel will split up Peter Parker and Mary Jane or if this is the biggest swerve since Sentry. Maybe we've been hoodwinked with a bunch of phoney solicits and Aunt May will just end up biting the dust instead. Doubt that's gonna happen but it would be crazy if Marvel pulled a psyche out like that. Guess we'll see what happens.
    Either way, I'm really enjoying One More Day. I wonder if JMS really means it or if he's just helping Marvel mess with us. I just read part three and thought they did a good job coming up with the plot and imbuing actual gravitas. Wouldn't really expect such a well-written comic to be written by a guy who doesn't care about what he's doing. It's better than just having Superboy-Prime punch the walls of continuity.

Also, I greatly enjoy it when hardcore Internet fanboys get pissed off. Maybe I'm just sadistic that way. But I do enjoy seeing Marvel have the guts to tell a story that most fanboys would not want.
  • margalismargalis Joined: Posts: 714
    While not quite up to some of the other stories listed the Sin-Eater stuff was good as was the "Spider-Man vs. Wolverine" story.
    The Spider-Man One More Day / Brand New Day E-Drama continues! Dan Slott, future Brand New Day writer talking back to someone dissing his work -

Chill, biscuit.

Take a breath. Read an issue or two first. I'm VERY proud of SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH. But that project was a very specific animal. Every member of the new AMAZING SPIDER-MAN writing team is fully aware that this is AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and what that entails.

If you think this book is NOT going to have a balance between fun and seriousness...

I hope two months from now, after you've seen the first arc, I'll have brought you around. I don't know how much of my work you've read in the past-- but it's not all SHE-HULK, and SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH. There've been darker projects, like ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL and more mainstream titles like AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE. I like to think that somewhere between that and POWERPUFF GIRLS I've shown a pretty good range.

I believe the one consistant element in my work-- going all the way back to my licensed property days-- with things like REN & STIMPY, TEENAGE NINJA MUTANT TURTLES, and BATMAN ADVENTURES-- is that I invest a lot of time, energy, and passion into studying whatever property I'm working on, getting the feel and the "voices" right, and providing NEW units of that entertainment. Give me some credit here. This is AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. It's not SPIDER-MAN-JOKE-TIME-THEATER.

It's my job, my pleasure, and my greatest dream come true-- to GIVE you the BEST issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN that I can. And that means AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. I understand that. It's a compact I have with the readership and I sincerely take that to heart.

Source -

jms

Source -

Ha ha I wonder if Marvel will split up Peter Parker and Mary Jane or if this is the biggest swerve since Sentry. Maybe we've been hoodwinked with a bunch of phoney solicits and Aunt May will just end up biting the dust instead. Doubt that's gonna happen but it would be crazy if Marvel pulled a psyche out like that. Guess we'll see what happens.

That was a very interesting read. Nice to hear JMS thoughts one OMD and other Spidey stories. I think Joe made the right decision by not having Peter be the daddy of Gwen's kids. JMS has created one of my fav runs on ASM. I'll miss you JMS!! :sad:

Dan Slott also has me looking forward to ASM. At first I was on the fence but now I'm ready to face front and be a true believer! :wgrin:
    Either way, I'm really enjoying One More Day. I wonder if JMS really means it or if he's just helping Marvel mess with us. I just read part three and thought they did a good job coming up with the plot and imbuing actual gravitas. Wouldn't really expect such a well-written comic to be written by a guy who doesn't care about what he's doing. It's better than just having Superboy-Prime punch the walls of continuity.

Also, I greatly enjoy it when hardcore Internet fanboys get pissed off. Maybe I'm just sadistic that way. But I do enjoy seeing Marvel have the guts to tell a story that most fanboys would not want.

Gotta say, I'm also enjoying OMD. The story is very emotional and moving. I've only read up to issue 2. Gotta get part 3.

Ahhh so that's one reason why you enjoyed Sin's Past. I thought it was a great story but so many people hated it. Those people go go shove a jack hammer up their anus.
    While not quite up to some of the other stories listed the Sin-Eater stuff was good as was the "Spider-Man vs. Wolverine" story.

Was that the story where Spidey got the cheap costume that had "Die Spine" written on the back?
    Ahhh so that's one reason why you enjoyed Sin's Past. I thought it was a great story but so many people hated it. Those people go go shove a jack hammer up their anus.

Yeah, man. I'm all for doing unexpected and weird things to franchise players. I mean, it's Spider-Man for cryin' out loud. It doesn't matter what Marvel does to him. They can always change it later. It's not like they can ever permanently mess him up. Spider-Man will always be around. It's not like they can run him into the ground and write something so stupid that they'll have to cancel his comics and movies and videogames and lunchboxes.

Generally speaking, the people who hate on Sins Past seem like continuity whores to me. It's like they think that story somehow completely invalidates Gwen's death or something. But I love it 'cause there was some genuine heart in that arc. It's just an imaginary story... aren't they all?

And we've seen the end result of giving the fans what they want - that whole Jason Todd voting thing back in the day. That story sucks.
  • margalismargalis Joined: Posts: 714
    Was that the story where Spidey got the cheap costume that had "Die Spine" written on the back?

Yuppers.
    When does issue 4 of OMD drop? I still need to get issue 3. Marvel could be screwing with us on axing Pete and MJ's marriage but they could be dead serious. I'm totally on edge.

Zeph, do you think Spidey is an easier character to fix when Marvel screws him up? Was something I've been wondering about since I read your last post in the thread.
    I definitely feel that Spidey is easy to fix. Marvel knows how important the Spider-Man is to their company so even when they do something terrible, they'll go hire better writers. It might take a year or two before things get on track but it's not like there will be irreparable damage.

Just look at how things were after the Clone Saga. Spidey's situation in the stories was pretty messed up, with MJ faking her own death to get away from him. Who wrote that stuff? Howard Mackie? Eventually Marvel wised up and got Jenkins and JMS. Jenkins managed to tell good stories even during the period when Spidey and MJ were estranged. And then JMS finally brought them back together.

To me, that's what you call "fixing" the character. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they can create good comics there's nothing broken. Jenkins fixed Spider-Man by writing good stories and JMS eventually pleased the fans by fixing the character's status quo.

And I think the reason why it sounds so easy is because they're not gonna cancel Spider-Man even when it sucks. Eventually things will get better because someone talented will have an opportunity to write the comics.

Can't really say the same with a character like, say, Adam Warlock. I mean, if someone screws him up, it might be another 5-10 years before he gets another shot at a revamp.

It's like pro sports. Even if your team sucks, you just keep hoping there's a light at the end of that tunnel. (Unless you're a Knicks fan, because there clearly is no hope unless Dolan fires himself.) If you have a good franchise, the turnaround'll be relatively short. If ownership/management sucks, you might endure a 13 year playoff drought before you start seeing progress. WE BELIEVE
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    Close friend of mines got an early issue of OMD part 4.

All i gotta say is

WHY Joe Q WHY!!!!!

I'm not buying another Spidey comic.:annoy::annoy::annoy:
  • akumatruniggaakumatrunigga Joined: Posts: 3,312

Chill, biscuit.

Source -

jms

Source -

hmmm a writer that couldnt handle the heat from some marvel dork? :lol: What JMS is saying is bullshit cuz if he owned a character he'll be doing exactly the same as well.

It is ok to me. It is just how he is willing to dayum near destroy time to save his aunt? Are you serious? That i didnt like. Now what is up the hint of showing his daughter. Will there marriage stay intact?

All i gotta say is

WHY Joe Q WHY!!!!!

uh oh
    Xanatos: You know the answer to that Owen. Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.
    So what the fuck happened in OMD?

All i gotta say is

WHY Joe Q WHY!!!!!

What he said. Big up to Marvel for saving me 12 dollars a month in 2008! :tup: Now back to reading my 400 + issue Spidey DVD-Rom. I'm up to 1965 now. Ah, while I read I can sit back, relax and reminisce. And wish Spidey wasn't making deals that were so devilish. :rofl:

Spoilerooney for the last issue of OMD -

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140806
    Spoilerooney for the last issue of OMD -

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140806

Ah hell naw! Fuck Joe Q.
    WTF is wrong with Marvel?

WHat happened to Mary Jane?

And They brought back Harry Osborn?
  • akumatruniggaakumatrunigga Joined: Posts: 3,312
    you see this is the reason why i dont bother with purchasing comics. I may not even bother dealing with Black Panther anymore. I have 2 more issues to go and im uncertain now. Well it is back to my desk and getting em in ways im not supposed to.
    Xanatos: You know the answer to that Owen. Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.
  • TigerboiTigerboi C.R.E.A.M. Joined: Posts: 2,109
    Fucking Wack
    Marvel sucks.
    Awwwwww naaaaaaaw!!! Naw, man!! NAW!!!:annoy: Joe Q is a mawp. I'm pretty sure I said I'd make his head my new bowling ball. Or was it a golf ball? Whatever. Well, I hope that fat fool is finally happy. So what is Peter 19 now? Man Harry is back? I don't wanna sound like a continuity whore but it really, really seems like Marvel has decided to screw us all. I guess Joe is against fictional character's marriage or at least Spidey's. So I guess no more MJ. Then again, once Marvel sees the huge backlash they done caused, maybe they'll fix things. Man, I didn't even read my issue 3 of OMD and I had a feeling Joe Q was gonna do it like this. Did I mention he's a mawp?
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    fuck joe q
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE