Spider-Man, The Amazing Thread

Comments

• SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,059 mod
    Great podcast interview with Dan Slott regarding the upcoming Spider-Island storyline!

http://marvel.com/news/story/15994/download_the_amazing_spider-man_666_podcast
    He briefly mentions that the Spider-Man Big Time outfit is his favorite Spider-Man costume lol being biased of course ha ha! !t's the first to use green which Ditko reserved for Spider-Man villains. He also says he loves the fact that the suit is in Marvel vs. Capcom 3! :woot:
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    OK I'm gonna ask a question that most of you might not like to discuss but...are they planning on reuniting MJ and Peter, also undoing that stupid magic retcon Mephisto did, any time in the next year or so?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    No marriage since anyone with power at Marvel is still against the idea. The stupid retcon is going to remain in place.

JQ hinted a long time ago that they would date again, but that was a long time ago (he's no longer EiC) and Carlie Cooper apparantly isn't going anywhere. Sigh... Given how unpopular Carlie is I can't imagine Pete and Carlie not splitting up or at the very least not remaining exclusive for long, but who knows.

Seems like the Spider-Man / Ms. Marvel pairing was more popular, but Slott doesn't want Peter dating super heroines. He says it makes the normal life of Peter Parker, not so normal.

Stephen Wacker on CBR recently said that there would be a lot of MJ in the comic soon. Hope for the best I guess.
    No marriage since anyone with power at Marvel is still against the idea. The stupid retcon is going to remain in place.
    Why is that though? As ridiculous as that retcon is, why not think up a more ridiculous story...just not as ridiculous as OMD (like say oh, Loki regaining his full memory, and upon visiting Mephisto he learns of what he did to Spidey and in repaying his favour undos the retcon, see CONTINUITY!)
    JQ hinted a long time ago that they would date again, but that was a long time ago (he's no longer EiC) and Carlie Cooper apparantly isn't going anywhere. Sigh... Given how unpopular Carlie is I can't imagine Pete and Carlie not splitting up or at the very least not remaining exclusive for long, but who knows.
    I wish I didn't dislike Carlie but...her being MJ's replacement just doesn't work for me =/
    Seems like the Spider-Man / Ms. Marvel pairing was more popular, but Slott doesn't want Peter dating super heroines. He says it makes the normal life of Peter Parker, not so normal.
    Eh I can live with advances from Black Cat on Spidey, but to me Peter and MJ was one of the best pairings in comics, just reading through JMS' run shows how great they are together.
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    Lol no offense bro but do we really need to go into why Marvel doesn't want Peter and MJ married again or why they won't unretcon the retcon right now? Join like any Spider-Man forum. I'd recommend CBR so Dan Slott and Stephen Wacker can throw reasons at you all day long. :rofl:

If you'd like to see Spider-Man and Mary Jane married in a new comic, and her being pregnant too at that pick up Age of X Universe #1. Yeah it was only one issue, a short story that took place in the Age of X world but it was still nice to see.
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 961
    didn't someone call out Slott not too long ago and he went crazy on them lol?
    Lol no offense bro but do we really need to go into why Marvel doesn't want Peter and MJ married again or why they won't unretcon the retcon right now?
    iF IT's gonna lead to a clusterfuck, then I'm fine not talking about ;P
    Join like any Spider-Man forum. I'd recommend CBR so Dan Slott and Stephen Wacker can throw reasons at you all day long. :rofl:
    Ooof, nah that won't be good for my self esteem =P
    didn't someone call out Slott not too long ago and he went crazy on them lol?

Someone said Slott wasn't a real Spider-Man fan. Slott said fuck you straight out. Slott was right for saying it, the guy who said it even apologized.

Say what you want but that guy has a huge Spider-Man collection, owns every video game Spider-Man is in, a ton of toys and so on. Maybe he's not pro Spider-Man being married but to say he's not a fan of Spider-Man, you have GOT to be kidding me...
    Someone said Slott wasn't a real Spider-Man fan. Slott said fuck you straight out. Slott was right for saying it, the guy who said it even apologized.

Say what you want but that guy has a huge Spider-Man collection, owns every video game Spider-Man is in, a ton of toys and so on. Maybe he's not pro Spider-Man being married but to say he's not a fan of Spider-Man, you have GOT to be kidding me...

Slott? I remember one of guy had a room just only Spider-Man stuff I think he was trying to enter a contest for SDCC last year. He had some crazy stuff there too.
  • Lost DogLost Dog There are hardly any data. Joined: Posts: 264
    Oh. Well, I like Carlie a lot. I know she's no replacement for MJ and all, but I still like her
  • RoninChaosRoninChaos Treading Paper Joined: Posts: 4,091 mod
    Well, I just read ultimate spider-man 160. Fuck you, Bendis. Fuck you.
    -[E.M.S. for life]- -[Da Foot Clan]- -[Kobra Kai]-

Fuck Dan Marino

"Let's get shit straight: NOTHING can protect you from Ronin." -- Ducky

Making use of my "I am a bitch" card right now, please acknowledge it. -- OMFG

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.
    Oh. Well, I like Carlie a lot. I know she's no replacement for MJ and all, but I still like her

would have preferred Ms. Marvel since they had a date and did mention it toward the end of the Spider-Man Siege one shot.
    Ms. Marvel won't happen because Slott doesn't want Spider-Man dating a Super Heroine. He said it would make the normal life of Peter Parker out of costume, not so normal and would unbalance the book and the character.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    616 Spidey's gonna be a virgin forever isn't he?
    616 Spidey's gonna be a virgin forever isn't he?

He's slept with Michelle, Black Cat and Carlie in the last two years so no.

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    He's slept with Michelle, Black Cat and Carlie in the last two years so no.

This brings up an interesting question: Would retcons or reboots erase cherry busting?
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    He lived with MJ for a bunch of years and mostly everything happened, except the marriage. Pretty sure they still shared the same bed, as couples who live each other do.

I'm not reading OMIT to give you a clear answer on what those 'living together' years were like now, but I haven't heard anyone blame JQ for drawing two separate beds in the story... :wonder:

Before even the marriage and everything his relationship with Black Cat was very physical. Images of the two in bed together were common.

There's a bunch of years in ASM I haven't gotten around to reading, most of the '70s and early '80s so I can't comment much about that time period right now. Going through the entire series at a snail's pace. I'm up to where Gwen just left to Europe, so still on Lee and JRsr's run.

During that Goblin kids debacle it was revealed that Spider-Man never slept with Gwen. Retconning Spider-Man Blue out of existence. HA HA Loeb. I have nothing against the two having sex or really care but anytime someone sticks it to Loeb, even unintentionally - :rofl:

It's often debated that the first time he had sex was with Betty Brant, while she was married. That's what the author intended at the time but current Marvel denies it. Her husband Ned showed up at their apartment in the morning and was upset that Peter was with her all night. He found the two in the kitchen at the time. That's as close as you can get to suggesting an affair in the '70s.

Current Marvel's stance is that he just spent the night consoling her. I'm really indifferent about this one and I think it's one of those few things that readers can decide for themselves. I can see from Marvel's standpoint how they wouldn't want to depict Spider-Man as a guy who would sleep with a married woman, even if it was his first love.
    Damn, Spidey is more of a player than I imagined. At least if he was taking it to Betty his spider-sense would warn him of an angry, pissed off husband coming to get him.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    Not to double post, as an OG I dislike the notion but Sano is cool.

Anywho making some headway into my Spider-Man grab bag. Picked up #657-#664 a few weeks back and just now digging into it, since I had to make myself get over reading it in order until I can easily find some back issues.

So far it's okay, the FF and Spidey situation feels kind of awkward if you ask me, and seeing as the team is rather apathetic to him I find it a difficult event to read.

At least it seems he is back in the red/blue in the next issue (#660?) so that is cool, I hope their relationship is better handled in the actual FF title. probably just me though, as usual.
    It's not a double post if they're at least a day apart~
    It's not a double post if they're at least a day apart~

Oh really? Thanks for that 'Zoc.
    Mind you it happens to me sometimes: I post in a thread, then a day or 2 later I come to post something and find my post is the last one in it.

OK I know the 90s aren't Spidey's best years, but before JMS run were there any worthwhile stories or miniseries featuring Spidey?
    Also am I the only one who read Garth Ennis' Spiderman story in Web of Spiderman?
    They really didn't do that many limited series' for Spidey back then because he always had 3 or 4 books running at the same time. If they wanted to tell a series styled story they'd just run it through all the books. Like they did for Kraven's Last Hunt or more recently The Other.

Me I enjoyed Michelinie's run on ASM since that's what I grew up on. Nostalgia aside he had McFarlane and Larsen draw for him too. Even if you are not the biggest fan of their artwork it's still a pretty big deal for Spider-Man's legacy, and the industry a bit given how big those two have become.

Michelinie had lots of editorial mandates that plagued him and did more harm than good (Maximum Carnage, making Venom a hero, Spidey's revived parents were all editorial, so was the marriage but I never found that to be a bad thing myself) but I guess almost everyone on ASM has, with the exception of current Slott it seems.

Note that the '90s were a time where artwork was way more important than story. Still I can look back on most stories and still be entertained by them to this day, pretty much by taking it for what it is. A different time for a different audience.

Finished the run, waiting on the new issue.

While for the most part I enjoy Slott's run, some old stand by problems are still there.

Most glaring is once again Aunt May. I've come to conclusion the 110 year old woman wont die for some reason. But WHY is she always involved in the story? Like take 663 for example. She's at Mr. negative's crib handing out food and OH NOES! She has a Negative stroke to create cheap dilemma.

Tizoc made a good point to me, it's basically girlfriend fridge syndrome. There was no point other than to get a cheap scare for spider-man, since he can't go a day without three things happening: aunt may almost dying, having a complicated issue with his current girl fling because of his dual identity, fighting a villain. Sub villain fighting with one to three pages of self doubt and you have the flow chart.

Also while I love Mr. Negative and think he could have a great career as a threatening villain, all his stories stink, seriously. Put him in something good Marvel.

Gig at me Sano, I'm all pumped full of spidey and his odd science lessons each issue. Also I blame you for everything, 'zoc doesn't understand why.
    Gig at me Sano...

Don't have much new Spidey info to add. Kind of tired of all the Spider-Island hype, just want it to start already. Ryan Stegman's ASM issue comes out this week. The pages I've seen online look really good.

Looks like the musical is doing alright despite the horrible reviews. Which means tickets are still way too high. Not paying $60, which is the cheapest price you can pay to go. I can buy a video game for that price. Crazy. Broadway has deals sometimes so I'll try to keep an eye out.

Mentioned this in the SF / Capcom thread a few weeks back, but in the first volume of the Phoenix Wright manga there was a spider fanatic who collected everything based on spiders. He even collects Spider-Man comics! :tup:
    IMO Mr. Negative's concept would work great in a stand alone Vertigo/MAX like series.
    Aww, I thought we could have squabbled over my issues lol.

But yes road to Spider-Island is taking forever, not to mention I have no fucking idea why Jackal is doing all of this but hey whatever floats his boat.

Any signs of Kraven returning soon? Grim Hunt was SO good, I thought he might pop up in Island actually.

Edit to Tizoc: Yeah I could see him working well in the style, I thought his best story so far was his Shadowland tie-in mini series that focused more on him.
    Goddamnit Sano what madness is this?!
    2s8kcja.jpg
    What you never seen that before? Really?
    I never really bothered with the Marvel team-up series before =P
    I was just lurking through a comic website when I saw that.
  • ThirtyfourThirtyfour Wait Joined: Posts: 3,805
    heard green goblin is in MVC4
    hype
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvsCnWO9Qw
    SSF4: AE v.2012 Dudley Video Tutorial
    Goddamnit Sano what madness is this?!
    2s8kcja.jpg

I don't know if you are old enough to remember or if they gave those commercials where you live but there used to be a bunch of commercials where people would do anything for Hostess cupcakes (Twinkies in particular). In the story Galactus discovers his hunger is satisfied by a fake version of Hostess cupcakes (so Marvel can avoid a lawsuit) and Aunt May as his herald helps Galactus find them across the universe with Franklin tagging along. It was a gag story and turned out to be a dream of the writer anyway.

Found this one at a convention for really cheap a few years ago. Really funny. :rofl:
    ROFL, we didn't have such commercials over here, but that description is hilarious, making me want to read it XD
    Yeah, now that I think of it, I think he was making fun of the comic book ads for Hostess cupcakes and not so much the TV commercials. They would have ads that featured characters like Spider-Man, Superman, Archie, things like that centered around Hostess cupcakes.
    Yeah, now that I think of it, I think he was making fun of the comic book ads for Hostess cupcakes and not so much the TV commercials. They would have ads that featured characters like Spider-Man, Superman, Archie, things like that centered around Hostess cupcakes.

And they were amazing.
  • EverdredEverdred seriously casual Joined: Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is it blasphemy to like the new ultimate spider man?
    IG kleofus_hagel
    Psn kleofus_hagel
  • NeonGenesisNeonGenesis You have no hope! Joined: Posts: 54
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to reading comics and I was wondering where to begin Spider-man in the current Marvel timeline. I would like to start from the beginning but don't know what is first saga for the series.
    XBL: N3ON GENESIS
    PSN: Akatsuki-

SFxT: Juri/Kazuya
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • EverdredEverdred seriously casual Joined: Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ultimate spiderman is brand spanking new. No more recycled storylines.
    IG kleofus_hagel
    Psn kleofus_hagel