Austin Thread @ Arcade UFO

Comments

• TXscrubTXscrub Joined: Posts: 4
    Anyone in the Austin fgc looking for a roommate? I'm looking to move down from Dallas.
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    Soooooo Austin peeps. I'm moving to Austin, TX in about a week and a half.

What's good? XD
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• ziggybgwziggybgw Calvin and Hobbs. Get it? Forget it. Joined: Posts: 40
    Cant wait for Arcade UFO to reopen… Any of yall Austin folk headin down to Houston in April for Texas Showdown?
  • dance robotdance robot Joined: Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    ziggybgw said:
    Cant wait for Arcade UFO to reopen… Any of yall Austin folk headin down to Houston in April for Texas Showdown?

I'm probably going to go.  I don't think I'll have improved enough by then to even win a game, but it'll be fun regardless.
    I'm bad at SSF4. I'm looking for someone who is similarly bad to train with offline in Austin, TX. PM me!
    I'm going. I go to a lot of tournaments. More than welcome to ferry a few people over with me if we split the hotel room and gas.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• Voyager1Voyager1 Joined: Posts: 13
    Most of you probably already know, but UFO is reopening this Friday, March 1st!
    Austin, TX, UFO
  • tl_crowtl_crow stupid hitbox game Joined: Posts: 460
    I will be there friday to win every scv match and lose every sfxt match
    BEHOLD THE GLORY OF THE BINGO ENGINE
    GGs tonight. It's really good to have you back, UFO.
  • neemo6neemo6 huh what Joined: Posts: 563
    Didn't realize there was an arcade in austin, i was just there for a race at the new track.
    SSFIV: Sagat/Rufus
    MvC3: Zero/Skrull/Doom
    More you guys should play sfxt this friday. I'll be there a little later then normal (i'm estimateing.. 10pm) due to my new schedule. I have my voice back. I promise no more gross sickvoice.
  • Voyager1Voyager1 Joined: Posts: 13
    Has anyone heard a peep about Ranbats?
    Austin, TX, UFO
  • Pervert_QPervert_Q a.k.a Pizza Josh Joined: Posts: 470
    selling xbox 360 with hdmi, no controllers/cables/hd 40 bucks. Also have a wireless adapter for sale $20 or if you buy both $50 obo. 903 399 6659
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    anyone down for sfxt tonight?
  • KamTxKamTx Unblockable Arts Joined: Posts: 244
    anyone here at ufo play ttt2? I know the scene died but if there's a ranbats i'd def be there for it.
    PSN: TXImperial
  • danvan3000danvan3000 Joined: Posts: 74
    I'm coming to Austin for Chaos in Tejas at the end of May, but it looks like I'll only be able to come to UFO on Wednesday night that week, are there usually people playing SF4 every day?
    edited April 2013
    KamTx- There's a bunch of people that play TTT2 but it doesn't seem like any of them go to UFO unless there's a ranbat. :/

To the cool dude I played SFxT with last week- I will not be there today as I have previous plans, but I should be there next friday. All things considered, I may just start going there on weekdays too, as it's really not hard to get there from my job now that I have (the tiniest of) transportation.

Also- I bought Yatagarasu and it is my new favorite 'Tokido Yelling At You' simulator.
    Post edited by tl_crow on
  • KamTxKamTx Unblockable Arts Joined: Posts: 244
    when do ranbats start?

I'd like to get a community stated going here. I know a few do play off tz - online and record mode seems to be the ways to go for most. Btw, when is ufo actively busy? Weekend during the days?
    PSN: TXImperial
  • NovaSentinelNovaSentinel Joined: Posts: 1
    I'm from San Marcos but I come up to UFO occasionally to play some Marvel. Great place! I've loved every second so far, I need to bring more token money next time.
    I dumbed and forgot about texas showdown this weekend. I'm assuming few people will be at the UFO because of it?
  • SendMasterSendMaster its all a dance... Joined: Posts: 579
    edited May 2013
    Post edited by SendMaster on
    Like everyone else you want to learn to way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying -- Bruce Lee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDWkVRK8kQ#t=1m31s
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sup guys. Next tournament event in Austin over at Big Daddy's Bar.

https://www.facebook.com/events/314450672014762/
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • TalarioSpadaTalarioSpada Joined: Posts: 4
    Anyone know if there's going to be any injustice at UFO?
  • danvan3000danvan3000 Joined: Posts: 74
    posted here before but didn't get any reply... coming to Austin in a couple weeks for Chaos in Tejas, is UFO worth going to on a Wednesday night for AE? Just wondering about how many people go.
    @TalarioSpada
    UFO has Injustice, and I'm down to play games whenever someone is free.

@danvan3000
    Hard to say, but UFO's busiest night is no doubt Friday night.

Sorry if this thread looks dead, but most of our post/feedback goes into the facebook group. Best to look into that if you're interested in the Austin scene.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/170184739744077/
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • Wet WillyWet Willy 流石 Joined: Posts: 7
    edited June 2013
    Come level up at our beginners tournament with on the spot guidance and help for those who want to level up, and come prove your strength in the all level tournament! I want to make this a monthly event, so tell your friends and we can start this off with a bang! More info on the poster below.
    942018_4903426954033_1915455409_n.jpg

IMPORTANT: DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO JUNE 15TH, ALL TIMES WILL BE THE SAME.
    Post edited by Wet Willy on
  • CynosureCynosure Joined: Posts: 193
    Really wish I could come to this, nobody plays 3s around here.
    @Cynosure

Wrong topic? Cause if this was the right topic, you'd be saying something like "man, every time people play 3S at UFO" because it's true.

Twitter; PozerWolf
  • shinjokershinjoker Joined: Posts: 3
    Hello, Austin thread. I recently moved to Austin (Cedar Park) from Buffalo, NY. I've casually played sf and other games, but mainly (used to) play Tekken. I've heard of the awesome UFO arcade, and was curious to see how active the scene is. Anyway, HI!
  • I_Love_SakuraI_Love_Sakura Joined: Posts: 6
    Hey guys, I really want to get into the local fighting game scene. Is Arcade UFO where it's at for fighting games in Austin? Or is there another place people gather.
  • SendMasterSendMaster its all a dance... Joined: Posts: 579
    Yatagarasu for $0.75: http://groupees.com/doujin

6 Days remaining.
    Like everyone else you want to learn to way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying -- Bruce Lee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDWkVRK8kQ#t=1m31s
  • Da MinstaDa Minsta Joined: Posts: 229
    wow....... my account still works on shoryuken... 4 years later

mvc2 for life

-minh
    PS3 SN : MINCEX
  • Daniel.CDaniel.C Joined: Posts: 4
    What, Texas has a scene?
  • OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,537
    Hi, um, so I didnt go out this weekend, but Im thinking today Ill head down to UFO just to get out of the house and see if theyll let me play Akai Katana on a 360. It was cool last weekend seeing guys playing KOF 13 so much, wish I could have joined in, but I thought it was a tourney and I got there late. I prefer KOF over other games. I dont have a current system to practice new games on, just older ones to play. I wish I could come down once a week or twice and get in with people and level up and get great.
  • Wet WillyWet Willy 流石 Joined: Posts: 7
    This Friday! (sorry for the late notice SRK!!!)
    971817_10200382848884334_1729158281_n.jpg
    edited August 2013
    awe wish i could have made it
  • Daniel.CDaniel.C Joined: Posts: 4
    Wow. I wished I saw that earlier. Arcadeufo should really use their twitter.
    Daniel.C wrote: »
    Wow. I wished I saw that earlier. Arcadeufo should really use their twitter.
    The Facebook group is much more active than this thread or their twitter account. https://www.facebook.com/groups/170184739744077/

Just ignore the trolls and watch out for the events. You know, just like every other forum. :p

• IkarugaDCIkarugaDC fight for LAUGHTER Joined: Posts: 16
    i generally check FB, yelp, sows, some other places to see what ppl have to say about UFO, under the assumption the other co-owner I don't live in the same residence as actively uses Twitter and checks SRK. Clearly I'm mistaken, and I don't have control of the UFO twitter so I apologize for that being dead as hell. I need to get some sort of aggregation going for all of these places or I'm going to go crazy checking it all manually all the time. In fact, if you guys could relay anything you hear to me, like overheard complaints or something, that'd be great.

SO. Any ppl looking to get feedback and notifications, I try to get back to ppl on FB; most (or all now?) of the posts on UFO's facebook page are by me. All the UFO catcher stuff, vending machine, blah blah, and so on. I TRY to keep up with the events, but since I don't generally participate in them myself and mr. co-owner does, I was under the assumption he shared these things on twitter, but I was proven wrong by our last 3S tournament. So I'll try to get on top of that too. REGARDLESS, I have no control over the twitter account or the webpage.

With that said, Duckie, thanks for redirecting ppl, and I can't find coffee monster at costco or sam's lol i tried. There's just normal Monster, normal blue, I think one of the two places carries absolute zero, and some of the tea variants. If you want those, I can get stuff, but the last (incidentally, the first) purchase of monster took so long to get out the door I'd only get it knowing you wanted it. You'd essentially have your own slot in the vending machine.
    AH 1/F, AH 2/2S: Fiona, Mei-Fang
    http://www.youtube.com/IkarugaDC for lots of Austin, TX match videos and Arcade UFO stuff.
    236+A 236+B 236+C 360+AB, sacred punish your way through life.
    Oh yeah just so people know they have 360 versions of Akai Katana and DOA 4 there if you want to play them. I tried to join the FB group, but was denied.
  • IkarugaDCIkarugaDC fight for LAUGHTER Joined: Posts: 16
    you might need to talk in person to one of the admins like pozer or JDR about the austin fb group because that one is a closed group.

And yeah, I noticed we have those last time i looked in the cabinet. Torn between making an ephemeral post on FB about it, or making signage to print out later.
    AH 1/F, AH 2/2S: Fiona, Mei-Fang
    http://www.youtube.com/IkarugaDC for lots of Austin, TX match videos and Arcade UFO stuff.
    236+A 236+B 236+C 360+AB, sacred punish your way through life.
  • xKurosakixKurosaki Joined: Posts: 9
    So I just moved to tx about two weeks ago. And I'm trying to find places to play competitively. The online scene just isn't for me. Please some one help me out. I plan to come out to the UFO this weekend.
    xKurosaki wrote: »
    So I just moved to tx about two weeks ago. And I'm trying to find places to play competitively. The online scene just isn't for me. Please some one help me out. I plan to come out to the UFO this weekend.
    Might help us if you tell us what you play?

If you play AE or UMvC3, it might help if you posted in here, too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170184739744077/

(PS: Don't expect people in that group to care unless you play AE or UMvC3, sadly. There are a lot of people who play other games though, they just don't post in there. There are TX groups for games like Skullgirls and KoF where lots of Austinites post.)

If you play 3rd strike friday and saturday from 10 to 1 theres a great handful of talent there who are all very welcoming to new players..
    Oh yes, there is an AWESOME 3S group here. Buncha great guys!

Copying and pasting from the fb group

We're in Austin, Home to arcade UFO, venue is a no brainer and I just so happened to stop by the arcade today and ran into management (joshua yan), while there I presented him with an idea that I think all of you will like and I'm more than happy to announce to you, the players.

I give you: "For me it was Tuesday..." RanBats and gathering. Every other Tuesday bring your game, a friend, heck bring your mom, but more importantly bring $6 dollars and enjoy automatic entry into the RanBat and gain access to free play at any of the 4 available AE arcade/console set-ups so long as no tournament match is being played on it. The schedule is as follows:

Oct 15,29
    Nov 12, 26
    Dec 10, 17
    3 week gap due to holidays
    Jan 7, 21

Start time is tentatively scheduled for 7:30PM, with RanBats having an ever so prompt start time of 8:30PM sharp, sufficient enough time for all our locals to get out of evening class or work and make it through our infamous traffic jams. Once the tournament winds down, the unused set ups will be left on free-play and players may choose to play in whichever format they all agree upon: 2/3, 3/5, first to 3, etc. End time is also set at midnight (closing).

RanBats will run on a point system similar to previous RanBats, points will be relegated like so:

1st = 10pts
    2nd = 8 pts
    3rd = 6 pts
    4th = 4 pts
    5th = 2 pts
    6th = Lvl up hommie

********** Money WILL NOT go towards a price pot, please, please be aware of this! (I don't want anyone to end up being upset and/or disappointed). We're already getting a heck of a venue and deal that is hard to beat. This is a central location that is familiar to not only the locals, but the surrounding cities giving it greater appeal. The addition of free play pre and post RanBat action will allow us to grow the level of skill in our community in an environment that caters to us. Although not familiar with it as the host, streaming capabilities are available and I'm sure the employees would be more than willing to help in the matter. Also, If for whatever reason you decide you don't want to play AE and get the urge to play something else you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to do so. And if that's not enough, in order to offset any possible criticism and further incentivize out of town participation I'm willing to put up $100.00 of my hard earned cash towards the top 3 finishers for a 60/30/10 split.

Rules will follow most commonly used AE tournament guidelines with a:

- Double elimination format
    - 2/3 for all matches with the exception of grand finals with a 3/5 and any subsequent bracket reset thereafter
    - No game altering or breaking glitches
    - Winner keeps same character while the loser may pick a different one
    - Winner may change Ultra, but must chose before opponent choses his

* for all of our Pad users UFO is equipped with both PS3s and XBOX 360s so I'll make sure to accommodate everyone in regards to this, understand this may stall things a bit, but given the fact that we'll have so many set ups available to us I don't see this being too big of an issue. Nevertheless, if you happen to own a converter please bring it along so you can jump on the first set-up available (that is not the arcade) and move things at a steady and consistent pace. Thank you.

I will be there Every Tuesday I can, but in case of my absence I've already arranged for another member (Pozerwolf) of the community to aid me with this endeavor. I'd like to point out that this is a community driven effort by the people for the people, so for all you locals if you want this thing to thrive and flourish I challenge you to help out by running brackets and cuing-up people for matches. This will ensure continuity and growth. I Don't expect to be doing this forever and I'm sure neither does pozer, but my wish is that the torch doesn't get dropped or even passed down, but rather reassigned on a biweekly basis in order to prevent us from having such an extensive drought of competition like the one we've experienced here in Austin for the last 10 months.

I hope to see you all next Tuesday... Let there be AE!

Yours truly
    J.

P.S. Let's make this a success, spread the word and let's play some games.
    Not that I play AE, but I'd never be able to make one of these on account of my own weekly gatherings for Skullgirls that I've been doing for months now that's also held on Tuesdays.

Man, I can never make it out on tuesdays to get there. one of these weeks i will though. By the way, well start to have bimonthly tournaments happening at the goodwill computer museum north above i35 and 183 down the hill from the wallmart. Ill post more info as it comes on the FB group.

This was so much fun, it was like at 3 something am and we were sobering up after going to the bar. man, if you guys havent come to ufo on the weekend you should.
    860_10200765553811718_792485111_n.jpg
    edited November 2013
    1001248_10200871254174161_1282548401_n.jpg

Ok, so of course Akuma is banned, but everyone else is ok. Teams will be random, but ultimately someone will choose who is teamed up with who in case two really awesome players are teamed up.
    Sad I couldn't go to the ST tournament (as it's one of my favorite games), but I sprained my shoulder and can't use an arcade stick for at least another two weeks.

Damn shame, I bet I could have taken this thing, too. :p