SFIII 3rd Strike (SUPERCADE/GGPO/nFBA,etc) Palmod palettes fair

Comments

• ColorEditColorEdit Joined: Posts: 8
    Just noticed something about PALMOD. When I open the SFA3 rom file (sz3.09c) to colour edit Alpha 3, only around half of the characters are present in the preview window. Also, the last two colours for each character are using palettes from other characters - for example, Ryu's final two colours are Ken's X-ism palettes, but appearing on Ryu's sprite.

I am editing the file found inside Mame's sfa3.zip. How come it's all messed up when everything works perfectly in SFIII3?
  • LETLET 武神流忍法 Joined: Posts: 248
    Basically, Alpha/Zero 3 is not implemented properly in PALMOD yet. I spoke with SuupaBuu some time ago (creator) and he said he put it in because it was half supported and someone might find it useful. I don't think he'll want to fix it fully but there are other ways. If you look at Versus Colors there is a good amount of CPS2 games colour mods. The forums are quite quiet but those guys will definitely help you if you get stuck. It means using a hex editor but it's not as hard as it sounds.
    __
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    I've always wanted a thread for cps2 color edits for srk since the forums on versus colors are dead.

And do you guys mind if I show off my Jojo's edits (since it is a cps3 game and uses the same format) in here as well?

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

I vote yes for Jojo - but maybe CPS2 deserves it's own thread. There are so many games. We managed 30 pages just for 3S after all. But either way, I'm not fussed. Having them all in one makes sense too.
    __
    Alright then since it is allowed been doing this for months :P

testing the flashing palette (also if you look in related videos you can see what my next edit is going to be based on for Kakyoin).

Here are some of my Jojo's edits.
    jojobane-05-07-024030.png
    Ghoul Chaka (you'll notice I already found the lifebars)

jojobane-05-23-040809.png
    Ivan Ooze vs Smurfette

jojobane-05-04-183607.png
    Jotaro(based on a punk band) vs pink Dio

jojobane-04-10-011640.png
    and the edit flithyrich requested

jojobane-04-02-195952.png
    My favorite edit I made on Young Joesph.
    based on (BOC - "The Red and The Black")

jojobane-04-07-165412.png
    Mango Dio nuff said

I have more edits I'll eventually write a tutorial or ask if I can grab shadowdiouk's tutorial since his is better then mine.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

Look really nice, though I've never even played JoJo's and have no idea what the original pals look like!!!
    The game looks like MSF sprites on SFIII:NG backgrounds :D
    __
    Newest Kakyoin Colors
    Based on "Twilight Revolver" By Hierophant Green
    Most of characters and stands in Jojo's is based on music so why not do it for the colors.

TwilightRevolverKayk.png
    If the picture is too big I'll just post the link.

Vid showing the flash on hierophant green .

• alien nose jobalien nose job my metaphors are ok! how are yours ? Joined: Posts: 276
    hey people,

nice to see your edits jed !
    amazing you pulled that by yourself !

I'd prefer to keep things 3S related in here as it's messy enough already with one game and its specific set of tools.

I'm sure lots of peeps would like to see a Jojo hacking thread (I know I would) and would start contributing if you do that.
    However I could understand you don't feel like starting that and won't mind if you pop a few previews in here once in a while, as long as you don't flood the thread ^^

I'll be away for a few months still, so behave while I'm not here.
    Heard 3S is going online at last !

I just found a file about elena's stage colours on a japanese hacking board you pointed to, Jed. Interesting as it's been posted somewhere in 2008 !

'later.
    Please post said file! I am intrigued!!
    __
    Here LET
    http://re2k2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/iiifs/elena_stagecolor.zip

One thing about Elena's stage is the only way too make a good edit is to edit the graphics for it.

Might make a cps2/neo-geo thread soon after I find more palette locations for some of the games not supported in Palmod.

• Klax0rKlax0r Joined: Posts: 16
    Klax0r's PalMod Color Set updated, here.
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    nice colors OZ..
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
    Some nice updates :)

Though I have to disagree with you Jed on the Elena stage. You can make a good colour edit (I nearly got there) but it's problematic because the colour range is so tight. One thing's for sure, you CANNOT get a good edit just by grabbing the hue slider and moving the mouse, which is what those Japanese edits looked like :S

I've been trying to find my way around some Super Turbo stage edits recently which is ironically much harder, but I'll revisit Elena's stage in an effort to finish it and show you what I mean.

I also need to finish Yun and Yang to wrap up my character edits into a full list!
    __
  • AlexxShadenk777AlexxShadenk777 Midnight Runner Joined: Posts: 31
    Hello, I am new and just wanted to post the palettes I've edited for Akuma. One of them is obviously copied from Ken, and half of them aren't radically edited but I think I did a good job.

Um I'm not sure if it's allowed to post a link to the 51 file (for legal reasons I guess?), so I uploaded the palette files in a rar instead.

Edit: uploaded to MediaFire, removed Rapidshare link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4zex9m5v58dlsm

akumapalettes.png
    45682887.gif
    Nice Job like your ex Akuma the best out of that set.

Thanks.
    45682887.gif
    Wow, really nice - though the first 6 look a lot like the regular versions or maybe some others. The EX one is very fresh actually. I think he needs the darker skin shades' brightness taken down so there's more definition but if it is a straight palette swap, it certainly works well.

Slight edits or not, these are a really good job I think! Please post more! Other shotos maybe?

You're right not to link to 51 files by the way. a text file with the ACT codes or an external link are a much better idea (liuke you have done).
    __
  • alien nose jobalien nose job my metaphors are ok! how are yours ? Joined: Posts: 276
    hey nice pals !

thanks for sharing, I may post all I have sooner or later and am not quite happy with all my goukis though so I may steal and edit your EX which looks fresh !

I also think you should enforce volume as LET said, but, in a way, it's just a choice of making something that looks flatter or not.
    Haha, go ahead.

I started editing Dudley's palettes -- mind that I've already edited every character's LP into a different color scheme, but so far for Dudley I've made two, LP and EX. Although, I'm not sure exactly what else to do with him. Besides those two, the rest are pretty much already perfect but I'll try to cook something nice.
    45682887.gif
    OK, I tried really hard with this one...

209_RyuStageTestEditPreview07.png

tested it with my own edits and to me it still looked a bit weird... maybe the sky is the problem, what do you think?

you can find it along with my other tries on ESN's site.
    I like it very stylized.

I say try messing with the contrast but that might mess up the colors.

thanks Jed,

edited the sky, in fact it was too dark... we gain some contrast that way, I'm just half sure it works with my edits now, but it's better this way

209_RyuStageTestEditPreview09.png

I may add blue to the temple's shades and roof to separate it from the sky.

Also, for your interest, I used mostly photoshop's command :

Image>Mode>Grayscale

then put the grayscale image into

Image>Mode>Duotone (hope my translation is accurate as my photoshop is in french)
    That is beautiful. I love those colors, don't edit it again.
    45682887.gif
    thanks, the beauty of ESN's site is that you can still access to the previous steps of any palette by clicking on the "HIST" button, so, no matter what I do next, this one is not lost.

I'll play on GGPO with this one for some time and go back to editing if needed. I just feel that maybe the darkest areas on the roof and temple are too dark compared to my edited chars.
    My Dudley palettes.

Finally I have finished editing my palettes for the most stylish boxer/gentleman of all time.

However I did not touch HP and LK, simply because they already looked perfect and editing those color schemes would be a severe crime of undignity and anyone who does that would deserve to be Corkskrew Blown to the crotch.

...wait, what.

Enjoy. For HK I went with a prisoner sorta look, although I originally intended to make his clothes yellow with blue gloves, but I liked the convict look on him. It's kinda like a joke costume now. :D

Dudley palettes.rar

dudley7pals.png
    45682887.gif
    nice, I think the HK one works best volume-wise, eventhough it's a bit too orange for me, blue+yellow gloves sounds fun !
    I did a dud that I'll add to ESN's and it looks like a stretch from your MP.

EDIT

btw, on this japanese forum that Jed linked to, there was a file called "colorhack katei all" or something, with inside, an IPS file, I checked it recently and it had some console colours a few originals, and some of LET, Poot, probably a couple EveryFlowerFlow and maybe a couple of mine in there too!
    hehe
    Funny some of our stuff made it to japan !

Jed, as you're the one that found this forum, maybe you have some japanese knowledge, as in the jap file there were also three text files that I couldn't read, could you translate anything maybe ?
    We don't need Japanese votes of confidence - but it's nice that they made it ;)

Alien - palette looks nice, I think it could use more range in hue (I liked the purple sky tones) and less contrast. Specifically, if the background is darker than characters' outlines, it pops and you get a visual disconnect. It looks like that could happen here, but test it out in-game and take screenies to be sure :)

Just to mention - it looks very believable, which is the hardest thing to achieve if you ask me, so props due!
    __
    Anotak was the one who found that forum actually by looking for more info on yumeji's xcopy. And my Japanese is more limited then my German so its next to non-existent.

Thanks LET, you stated precisely my sentiment about colour range and contrast, but I must say that I'm getting lazy with this stage as I find this one really hard to edit, and surprisingly, after a bit of testing... I think it works with my edits.
    What do you think ?
    RyuStagedisplay.png

Should I get my darker tones a little down and add some more colours ?

Also, as I couldn't wait anymore ^^ so, I ported your gouki stage draft on arcade graphics... it's been a bit painstaking at some points (as DC rips and arcade don't match on this stage) and it's not the exact same thing you did, but I thought that was good enough. You tell me.
    goukiStagedisplay.png

plus the white gouki is a port of my red oro, may need a couple adjustements before I'm done maybe.
    Also I think I forgot to rip the owl's eyes when uploading the matrix image on ESN's... no big deal and easy to fix.

Jed, thanks for your answer, I was hoping we'd find some japanese colour edit site maybe, but, bah... I don't care that much in the end... if I can display the text (as it shows up as gibberish on this comp), google translate may be good enough.

Oh, and I broke my pad, stick is at work, so I can't make that video I was telling you, LET.
    Doh, shame about the vid.

That Gouki came out better than I recall. Though, I still think both BGs have way too much black as a result of 'multiply' layers in Photoshop maybe (I do this too much).

The sprites don't pop too much or look out of place, but I think it's bad form for BGs to have big chunks of darkness, even in the distance like on the Gouki mod. I thought it would add depth if I made the shadows darker and the foreground moss lighter and more saturated, but in the end it looks too busy, at least in stills.

Trouble is, just toning the contrast down (via brightness/contrast slider) is like sticking a grey filter over the whole BG. This is why I find these edits hard, it's not a problem with sprites. I'm also no expert in Photoshop, even though I've been using it for decades :(
    __
    Yes, surprisingly, I found sprites don't pop that much in the end.
    I'll get a closer look from original sprites in original stages to moded as it actually could work as I enforced volume on chars compared to originals I probably have more range in darkness with stages as well.
    Also...
    did this from your draft, LET, as I found it very nice and different enough from the original stage, I'll edit with ingame shots later

217_IbukiStageTestEditPreview01.png

sadly I discovered that this stage's matrix is flawed. a few things have not been ripped, seems like an address range related problem rather than something we forgot, which is bad luck as it probably mean reripping it all, well maybe not we'll see.
    I'm running a fast check of what stages fully work, or have problems.
    I'll post the full list later.
    So far,

*working : Oro , sean, ryu, gouki/shin gouki(jjst forgot the owls eyes, shin gouki is the same), hugo, necro, makoto, elena, yun , dudley, urien

*flawed (missing part): alex, ken, ibuki, twelve, yang (just forgot some rain, quick fix possible)

*completely fucked ? : remy ?, Gill ?, chun ? for those, the site wouldn't answer.

also , here's the gouki preview

213_GoukiStageTestEditPreview02.png

EDIT :::

ok here are screenies of ingame ibuki, you can see the little glitches, shiny water and on the right and left, the sky stayed the same
    IbukiStagedisplay.png

edited the list of working not working stages, some may need very minor fixes, some may need redoing
  • yuukiyuuki Joined: Posts: 782
    can someone give me a link and or upload the character icons that are the top of the screen next to the life bar? thank you please :)
    かかってきな。
    Hey, I'm not sure what you mean...
    If you want to edit the lifebars portraits, you can do that in PALMOD, which you can download on the first page of this thread.
    If you mean you want the ripped graphics, we never ripped them (I mean as something downloadable on ESN's site) as SuupaaBu already added them into PALMOD, which came before we started ripping stuff.

Closest thing to that is the select screen and warrior path icons I ripped and uploaded on ESN's site. click here or if for some reason my link doesn't work, check the palettes index on ESN's and filter "interface".
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,347
    Made few tweaks on the 3sPalMod.php, it's waaaayyyy faster now and no more crash so far.
    Edit Mode doesn't work but i think no one is using it, so it can wait!
    wicked !

I already added a check palette for chun and remy (I'll have a look later) but Gill fails to load, here's the error message :
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1518165 bytes) in /mnt/163/sdb/f/e/ensabahnur/3S_Pal_Mod/Class/Pal.php on line 401

I'll report and edit my previous message later on stages states, cheers
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,347
    Weird, i tested with biggest palettes available, like Remy stage, and it worked fine.
    I'll check that tonight...
    Ken palettes. I didn't really edit HK's main palette, just the portrait a bit but included them anyway.

Who should I edit next? I don't want to touch Ryu yet.

Ken palettes.rar
    kenpals.png
    45682887.gif
    Irish Ken looks especially cool ;)
    I like EX the best though.

Next? IMO, Sean or Oro...
    __
    hey, I like EX and HP best, sean is dope, go for it !

btw, I work again on a well calibrated screen lately and I discovered the true colors of my latest edits, ugh, I'll try and fix it when I get an hour.

Also, a few days back, ESN tested some new scripts on his site to import pals directly from 51 files or ACT files, generate some previews too.
    So all my pals are accessible now, that makes almost the whole game edited, and I had released next to none so far.
    Also since ESN's new script allows mass import of palettes, some palettes that are not mine and were on my 51 ended up labelled as mine.
    I'll try and add credit where due later but mostly it's LET's work, a couple of Poot and maybe one of EFF, sometimes remixed sometimes not.

cheers
    Ahhh - nice to see you back!

So, does that mean that the previous broken matrrixes work now? I guess, what I'd always hoped for was a background editor on the fly, like Palmod. So, any changes that make ESN's web tool more like that are certainly welcome!
    __