Originally posted by Cthulhu32
yeah, I see one flaw in your reasoning though. Why would you point out that someone sucks if they are not drawing to be anything but themselves? What if they draw and draw and really enjoy their style, ya sure, it's got A LOT of flaws or whatever, but it makes em happy, and they want to share what they got ya know. Why on earth would you say "Man, you need to get better before you post here" or whatever.
Ok, here's what happens with me in this kinda situation not online, I've got some friends that really are into fighting games and what not, so yeah, they're not amazin artists or anything, and they draw out their favorite character right. I mean some of em look like a 4th graders drawing or whatever, BUT this person put a lot of effort into this drawing, so obviously I knew they didn't care if they were better or worse than anyone, and so I just say "Wow, that's pretty good man! I like the style! Very creative" I'm not like "Well, you see, you greatly need to improve how you draw your faces, and the body structure is all off, it reminds me of boiling crap."
As long as someone doesn't ask for an HONEST and CRITICIZING comments or critiques of how they could get better, and just wants to show people their work, I'll say good things, because I know when I've shown people my work in the past, usually they say it's really good, and I'm gettin better, they know I'm not amazing or anything. I'll ask some comments, they'll tell me this looks a little ackward, but you could improve it easily.
-This board is a social environment, not a college board of judges, so if you do put any comments on someone's art piece, please be respectful man, don't just be an ass.
READ THAT POST PEOPLE.
THAT IS THE ART GALLERY BIBLE.
1. This is NOT art school. NOR is this critique class. This is a FAN ART Gallery. For fans. Not only for professional artists. EVERYONE IS WELCOME. and EVERYONE should be able to post art without fear of bashing.
2. People post their art here for FUN.
3. harsh critique should not be delivered unless asked for. (of course constructive comments are ALWAYS welcome
4. NOT EVERYONE wants to be a professional artist one day. 90% of you just draw for fun.
5. a PERSON drew the picture you are about to bash. And that person put a lot of effort into their work. That person also has FEELINGS.
6. Remember the old saying.... "If you can't say something nice, don't say a goddamn thing at ALL" so have some damn common courtesy.
7. Art bashing is a pet peeve of mine. I am very unforgiving when I see senseless bashing.
anyway, now that i have more time on my hands I WILL be enforcing the critiquing rules. Yes you can critique, but use common sense. and remember the best thing you can do for a beginning artist is to ENCOURAGE THEM. This doesnt mean you cannot point out their faults, but be ENCOURAGING. I understand that constructive criticism is imperative for artists to get better, but use your GOOD judgment about how that critique should be worded.