Is Sonic hot garbage?

NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank accountJoined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
So yeah Ive been trying to use him but I can barely pull a win out of my ass. Sure hes quick but trying to stop his momentum sometimes can be a pain. Ive actually rolled offstage quite a few times trying to attack someone. And thats another thing It seems like none of his attacks are really special. Most of the time is like big whoop i rolled into this guy for 8 percent damage, or the fact that none of his direction+A attacks have any decent range. On top of all that, I assume hes considered a light character so im flying off the stage with 80 to 120 percent (mostly getting hit by Ike because thats who my friend plays).

So is Sonic hot garbage?

Comments

• ShintoShinto Mr. Solo Dolo Joined: Posts: 1,586
    Not really, I just think he has no good knockout moves like the other characters.
    East Coast.
    Nyc_Shinto = Psn
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Are you playing with items? You should be. And as such, you should be TURTLING. Grab a sword, smack him, then run like hell. Throw stuff at him. Run for the smash balls and assist trophies and pokeballs.

He's really fast! You shouldn't be using that speed to get yourself killed faster than if you were using Mario.
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,782
    He is probably mid tier.

Honestly if he had maybe one more kill move and his smashes were faster, he would be high tier.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • JacJac Makin' It Rain Joined: Posts: 105
    Sonic is really good at building damage but has a very hard time killing....his back airs and forward smash is what i used to kill but the forward smash takes forever to land :rolleyes:
    Av by aberz
  • ShadeShade FEMLE Joined: Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonic is solid. And the fastest guy in the game it seems (ZSS is up there, too). Not having any strong knock out moves doesn't mean much, when the average knock out is 100%. Seriously, it's kind of hard to knock people out before that on most stages.
    Average knockout is more like 150ish.

I'm not gonna front about Sonic.

He isn't good.

But he isn't bad either.

He's ok.

*shrug.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Strongly feel that Sonic is a motherfuckin beast. I hope I'm wrong though because I'm having a hard time beating him.
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,888
    Not really, I just think he has no good knockout moves like the other characters.

QFT. It's a BITCH to kill people with him. F-Smash seems alright but that's about it =/
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • JoeMastersJoeMasters Awaken ! Joined: Posts: 452
    I never have trouble killing with him really. I think hes a fuckin beast and has maad potential. His up+B spring is too good, and his combo potential is stunning. Definitley one of my favorite/best characters.
  • ShintoShinto Mr. Solo Dolo Joined: Posts: 1,586
    I say this is the Official Sonic thread and the title sticks...
    East Coast.
    Nyc_Shinto = Psn
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wow, official Sonic thread huh? Im honored.

Ill admit there are some good times to be had with Sonic though, as someone posted earlier his up+B is great for getting places and his air back+A (single spinning kick) is probably the thing i knock people out with the most. Not to mention his Super Sonic mode which is ungodly good if you can control it well. I guess I was really just expecting more of him since he was probably the biggest hype builder of the game for me.

One interesting thing I did with him was me and someone else were knocked off the stage and because the other person was below me when I did the spring, the spring fell on them and knocked them away a little bit.

As far as combos, i dont really see combos in SSBB, I just see stuff that works sometimes, like I do a launching attack and jump and do his "rising tackle" as Ive come to call it since the final hit of that can send opponents pretty high up under the right conditions.
  • Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    Yeah, you can hit people with the spring. If you do the spring from the ground, it'll actually stay there and act as a spring for 3 jumps or so. I haven't found any useful application for that yet.

Also, a quick way to stop from a full run (offline only) is to hold down and tap X, A as if you're doing a kara-throw in 3S. Sonic will do his dive kick right off the ground, and it'll also hit whatever's in front of him relatively hard (hard for Sonic, at least).
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,261
    ....I am quite annoyed that that you called this the official sonic thread...mostly because of the name...>(....I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!!
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Well, its not technically saying he IS hot garbage, just illicitly implying that he is. Like on the news when something blows up somewhere and the ticker at the bottom reads "Is it TERRORISIM?" just to get people to keep watching to find out that it was just some random explosion.
  • pizzacat83pizzacat83 Joined: Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonic kicks ass, enough so to flirt with being a top tier character. Super Sonic is one of the better final smashes in the game and he's a very evasive character, so he's a monster with hit-and-run tactics. His lack of a good killer move is his only real weakness, similar to Meta Knight, but items can help overcome that. Since Smash is a game that any retard can play well (button mash and do well), people tend to think Sonic sucks more than a freshman female at a frat party because Sonic is the hardest character in the game to play.
  • skisonicskisonic Joined: Posts: 1,131 mod
    he is not good.

you are all nuts.
    Internationally known. East coast home.

I bet some people thank god for the internet and the keyboard everynight when they pray. "NOW I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT!" - big|dave
  • Zero-SR388Zero-SR388 ODIUM Joined: Posts: 111
    He's not bad.
    He's just weak.
    He needs Bowser to be at at least 200% for a KO.

But I've seen people get about five kills off of his final smash, and It's easy to get the smashball beacause he is so fast.

The only problems is his lack of effective smash attacks and his speed is hard to control.

Once you can control him he should be pretty decent, but he's still only around mid-tier.
    MvC2: Cable/Magneto/Psylocke
    MvC3: Mag/Fuckin/Neto
    AC: A.B.A.
    He's not bad.
    He's just weak.
    He needs Bowser to be at at least 200% for a KO.

But I've seen people get about five kills off of his final smash, and It's easy to get the smashball beacause he is so fast.

The only problems is his lack of effective smash attacks and his speed is hard to control.

Once you can control him he should be pretty decent, but he's still only around mid-tier.

I don't care if bowser needs to be at 200%. I'm still all over the place and there isn't much that the fat king can do about it.
    High Enough

• Zero-SR388Zero-SR388 ODIUM Joined: Posts: 111
    I don't care if bowser needs to be at 200%. I'm still all over the place and there isn't much that the fat king can do about it.

Just stating a fact...
    MvC2: Cable/Magneto/Psylocke
    MvC3: Mag/Fuckin/Neto
    AC: A.B.A.
  • RekanoRekano ONE MORE ONCE Joined: Posts: 602

Bowser's aerials, Side B, and I disagree. :D
    -Rekano OuTz
    "Chris Hansen can't stop them titties."-Geese Pants
  • KWASIAKWASIA Postings an Art Form Joined: Posts: 250
    can someone explain to me the differences between his side b and up b... though i toyed with i can tell there are some difference but it's confusing... also has anyone found any use for these moves...
    Those who push themselves, and are willing to face pain, exhaustion, humiliation,
    rejection, or worse, are the ones who become CHAMPIONS! - Neil Strauss
    www.devastationevent.com
  • TamTam Joined: Posts: 650
    spin dash into them and keep 'em in the air
    force 'em on the spring

and fuck them up that way!!

most of his kill moves have to be preemptive so don't let them fall to the ground WHATSOEVER

he's got that spring for a good reason and why it can stay on the floor should be part of his gameplan

REAL TALK!!
    Every second counts
    Bowser's aerials, Side B, and I disagree. :D

I need to play a bowser...how about it son!?
    High Enough

• TigerboiTigerboi C.R.E.A.M. Joined: Posts: 2,109
    For the record, his up tilt is REALLY good for KOs. So is uair.

f-smash, uair, bair, u-tilt.

His only ko moves it seems. He's defiantly not hot garbage, but not that great either.
    Marvel sucks.
  • RekanoRekano ONE MORE ONCE Joined: Posts: 602
    I need to play a bowser...how about it son!?

Yessir. Just gotta catch you on when Im home from work.
    -Rekano OuTz
    "Chris Hansen can't stop them titties."-Geese Pants
    Yessir. Just gotta catch you on when Im home from work.

I've seen you on but everytime I see you it always says...'BRRRRRRRRRAWWWWLLINNNNNNN!!!' *says it just like 'Ballin'*. I definitely wanna see how your bowser is.
    High Enough

I agree, Sonic is a hot mess. You agree with me right sonichuman? LOL!!^_^
  • HolyOrderChippHolyOrderChipp Unregistered User Joined: Posts: 94
    I really hate how his running A is frame disadvantage on HIT. Your opponent recovers before you do. It's damn annoying.
    On Xbox Live, the three most common ways to insult someone are 'communist', 'Jew' and 'gay'. Somewhere, there's a gay Jewish communist who's wondering how people keep guessing. -- Decadence
    You have to spam it and sapce it so that when it hits you are away from them.

So don't use it when they are cmaping near the edge.

Sucks cuz it limits Sonic's approach. His dash attack is one of his best moves by far.

Also ALOT of shit in Brawl is frame disadvantage on hit.

That's just something we are all gonna have to deal with.
    I agree, Sonic is a hot mess. You agree with me right sonichuman? LOL!!^_^

lmfao...I like how you actually have deebo from friday as your avatar....and you keeeep on talkin your mess from way down there...just wait till you get up here! You're gonna have your fill of him till you get sick!
    I really hate how his running A is frame disadvantage on HIT. Your opponent recovers before you do. It's damn annoying.

O.o...the heck you talking about? I've had no problems with sonics running A in fact for him I feel that's the most spammable thing you can do considering if you're doing it correctly he recovers behind the person

Sucks cuz it limits Sonic's approach. His dash attack is one of his best moves by far.

as far as limiting his approach..his running a does seem to be his best but i don't think it's his only one...i've been working on others to mix things up by using his speed but it's hard to demonstrate half the time with lag online...:(....

also from what i've played...I think sonic will be having the hardest time against falco and pit from what I've played so far...Emblem you demonstrated that too me whenever i started to spin you just shot me and put a stop to it...lol. Pit can use an arrow from what i've played of my friend's pit...but if you roll and let go at the right time sonic will just bust through it...but I haven't seen it work on falco's laser yet. It probably still won't work though because falco has a higher rate of fire than pit.

where the hell is zan at?
    High Enough

I have a lot of trouble with Lucas. His PK Fire stops EVERYTHING, and he can just bat you out of all your ball attacks, since he has a disjointed hitbox.

Sonic's B, side b, and down b are ass. They have mediocre priority and don't KO for shit.

PK fire has some serious lag. It's best that you bait it out and react. Try going in with n-air and dashing up smashing in.

Not sure if it will work, but that's what I would try.
    Marvel sucks.
    Well, it's not really the PK Fire that's the problem. It's the bat. The fire just zones and pressures you into running up, at which time you'll get batted.

Yeah, I'd try entering from the air with fair and n-air.
    Marvel sucks.
    My current strat is to just lose and switch to Snake (who is arguably my "main"), then bomb his face.

It's been working.

Sonic is not hot garbage or hot mess. Hes a pretty decent character. People see things like no k.o. ability and poke range and think hes bad. Try stutter stepping his f-smash. If you don't know what it is i'll give a brief description. C-sticks by default does smash. tap it foward for a f-smash. now stutter stepping is when u enter a backward step right before hitting f-smash with the c-stick. It increases your range enough to beat a marth foward smash, despite his disjointed hitbox. I did not discover/find/invent/name this technique.

Anyone who wants to bag on a character should at least know what they can do before they turn their auto-trashtalk on =/.

with that said sonic is still nowhere near top-tier, but hes not low. i agree with the mid tier statement (although it is a little early to go into tiers, what with new advanced techniques being found out daily.)
    lol, that name makes no sense. That's cool though. have to try it.
    Marvel sucks.
    Sonic's B, side b, and down b are ass. They have mediocre priority and don't KO for shit.

PK fire has some serious lag. It's best that you bait it out and react. Try going in with n-air and dashing up smashing in.

Not sure if it will work, but that's what I would try.

actually I think you maybe able to cancel some of the charge up time on sonic's homing attack if you press b again....I don't know if anyone has said anything on that. As for his side b and down b being ass...I have to disagree...it all depends on how you use it. If you're using these from a far ass distance away where they know it's coming where the person can spam laser and or pk fire at you then yess it's gonna be ass if they know how to stop you. Have you ever tried following up a side throw with one of the dashes? Also I've noticed that depending upon where you are in the spin depends on the priority. Example being when I was fighting Zan's Sonic and he was spinning towards me from one of the b moves I waited until the last second and let go completely beating out his...I haven't been able to test it out with any other attacks from anyone else besides Pit's Arrow...If you do it correctly that ball will eat right through it.
    High Enough

for his b attack, you have to hit b twice while charging ( so b to start, then b,b quickly). Neutral b is also a good gimp tool if you time it rite. With his side b, if you do it before you use your second jump (i.e. after you get knocked side of the stage) you can double jump after, then up b. A very good situational recovery move, and gives great horizontal recovery. Not sure about invincibility frames on any of his specials though.
  • The MC CluskyThe MC Clusky Ultra Arcade Community Manager Joined: Posts: 1,138
    Sonic can use his Up B to reach the top of the screen and KO at very low percents with Up air. I saw someone kill Marth at 40 percent on Corneria (very short ceiling) and Snake at 100 percent on Smashville (fairly high ceiling).

Side B and Down B can be jump canceled into aerial combos at any point, to rack up good damage.

He is limited nonetheless when it comes to killing moves, but he shouldn't be used against the heavyweights. He's better against fast characters that are lighter.
    facebook.com/ultraarcade
    twitter.com/ultra_arcade
    www.ultraarcade.com