The Stick man cometh: Mr Game & Watch

JuddfroJuddfro Joined: Posts: 106
The title says it all. Give what you know about this guy. Heres what I got, (it isn't much)

-his recovery is the biggest difference i have seen, and I'm sure most people know about that, but if you don't after using his up b, G&W comes back down slowly on a parachute. You can cancel that into his down a, which seems to be beefed up but I'm not sure.

Yep thats all I got, but someone has to start it. Discuss!

Comments

• OromanOroman .... Joined: Posts: 584
    He's my new main. I'll try to give a little bit of info. Let me start out by saying Game and Watch has gotten some pretty big buffs. His bucket holds 3 stocks and you gain a stock everytime you catch a projectile. In melee whenever you died you lost all of your stocks, but in Brawl you keep them even when you die. His aerials are very good. His Dair sends him straight down stabbing his opponents with a key. You can kill yourself with this move so be careful. his Fair is the same as melee and is his most powerful aerial. His tilts seem like they were the same as they were in melee. His up smash has a little bit of start up but can KO medium-light characters at 80%. His moves come out faster than in melee from what I remember. That's all I have for now, but I'll add more info when I can get it.

Edit: I'm not sure if his Dair spikes or not.
  • Dj ClayfaceDj Clayface Psn: Dj-Clayface Joined: Posts: 96
    his down throw is nice, you land right next to him, sets up his d-smash, n-attack and u-smash.
    MvC2 will never die
  • LiftedResearchLiftedResearch Real Honest Fighting Joined: Posts: 629
    GnW is serious business in Brawl, beware the BUCKET O' FUN
    Remember the BEARcade 11/18/2005...RIP dear friend.

I forgot to mention that Game and Watch is suuuuuper light. Some attacks can knock him out in the 80% range, and heavy characters might give him trouble. Can you use the bucket for items or is it projectiles only?
  • GorehoundGorehound Awesome, Awesome to the Max! Joined: Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    G&W is the greatest character in Brawl!!!!

Not only did he get a HUGE improvement from his crappy Melee version, but his oldschool-ness can even destroy characters like Metaknight and Toon Link.

He has one of the best Up+B moves in the game. I'm glad they gave him the excellent recovery then attack after the jump special.

He still lacks in the standing fwd+A or B attacks, but he makes up with supreme Air and Down strikes.
    UMvC3: She-Hulk/Iron Fist/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Taskmaster
    LoL: Fizz/Akali/LeBlanc/Fiora/Irelia/Vayne/Caitlyn/Shyvana/Nautilus/Volibear
    MK9: Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, Kitana, Freddy Krueger
    SSF4AE2012: Dictator, Rufus, Chun Li, C. Viper
  • LordLockeLordLocke #1 Toughest Joined: Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    They gave Game and Watch a ton of love-

-He now has a fast neutral air A, so he's no longer juggle bait- it covers a large area in front of and above G&W, and is multi-hit. It's KB is weak, and it's damage is only good if you hit with the entire move, but it's not it's purpose- it's an escape and arse-covering attack, which is something G&W didn't have and really needed.

-G&W is a shield rapist. Air Back+A Turtle kills most shields in two goes. Down-tilt does little shield knockback and good shield stun, which can leave an opponent trapped in there for way too long for their liking. Both the fast fall and floaty versions of the Down+A Key, already a good shield hurter in Melee, does even MORE shield damage now. Most judgment hammers MURDER shields (A 3 seems to simply IGNORE it and sets up juggles). Simply put, a good G&W will be hard to turtle against, because you won't have much shield to hide behind for long.

-G&W's smashes have all been buffed. F-smash is one of the strongest of it's kind in the game, although it feels slower now. Up-smash still is a pain to hit with, but actually is a good kill move when it lands- I think it also has some SA frames when the headbutt actually happens, for I've seen it go through a few moves it probably shouldn't (Lucas air D+A, most notably). The hammers are still weird, but GOOD weird- hitting the opponent just outside the hammer's 'reach' sends them flying upwards drastically, while hitting with the hammer heads themselves sends them flying away at a good angle with decent power. The hit area at the end of the hammer is pretty big- I've used it to stop Ike/Fox/Falco F+B recovery from reaching sweet spot range and send them flying off the top.

-Might only wind up good for comedy value, but the frying pan semi-spikes. I think that it did in Melee too, but it's far more powerful here. If you like to chase after people off the platform (And with G&W's great recovery ability, you should like to- trust me) this could be brutal.

-Speaking of that wonderful recovery, so many mind games come out of the fact that G&W can cancel his parachute at any time and start swinging. A fun one is to use the key on someone lurking near the edge on you if you're coming in high- first a slow-fall version (Hold up on your Control Stick and C-Stick down to bust out a slowfall version) then quickly follow up with a fast-faller. Sounds dumb, probably IS kinda dumb, but it works like a dream and gives you combo ops at low-mid percentages if you hit with both parts of the fast-fall key.
    Meeh...
  • decideci walk up... block. Joined: Posts: 937
    Game and watch is a beast in brawl.
    I wanted to main him in melee but he wasn't good enough, he's my main for sure now.
    On that day, unlike usual, I heard a fireflys glow . . .
  • $hAoLIn$hAoLIn Joined: Posts: 127
    G&W does feel madd fun in Brawl.

His Up+Air feels like a fun tool for giving and airborne opponent a lopsided approach.

Forward+B K.O.ing with a 9 at 10% was fucking insane. Talk about a faster and random homerun bat.
    Clockw0rk, X/V-Rolento, Kain, Gato, Denjin, Aegis, Guile

Mentally my energy is like a figure 8, on its side, that's infinity - Mef Tical
  • Raph_StrykerRaph_Stryker Living the Life Joined: Posts: 878
    Up air is one of my favorite moves in the game. It really screws up peoples trajectories coming down (especially against Dedede's up B), and if you catch them when they are jumping, you will launch them so high (they wont die unfortunately) that they have to adjust to the sudden raise in height.

I have to agree, and i have been, G&W feels so solid in this game. Its a shame his down tilt (the manhole) isnt as powerful any more, but it comes out so fast and has good range, i think it makes for a great poke.
    Not too shabby.
  • LiftedResearchLiftedResearch Real Honest Fighting Joined: Posts: 629
    The manhole is bigger now though, at least it seems that way, and it's downright spammable fast.

Also, Dthrow -> Dsmash works really well. Not sure if he had that in melee, but it's a useful little chain.
    Remember the BEARcade 11/18/2005...RIP dear friend.

• white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    His Dair has sickening priority and I also believe his UP+B might have some invincibility frames at startup.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Got this from Smashboards. Props to omegablackmage for using G&W.

His bucket is very useful....

18% damage, won't KO until well over 100%
    Lizardon - fire breath
    Ice Climber - breath
    Koopa - fire breath

25% damage, KOs around 65% with no DI
    Lucas - PK Fire
    Fox - blaster
    Falco - blaster
    Samus - uncharged shots
    Peach - counter (pan foods)

33% damage
    Ness - PK Fire
    Yoshi - Down B Stars

42% damage, KOs around 20% with no DI
    Robot - optic blast
    Mario - fireballs
    Pit - arrows
    Dedede - Up B stars

44% damage
    Lucario - uncharged energy ball

50% damage, KOs at 0% with no DI
    Pikachu - neutral B lightning
    Wolf - blaster
    Luigi - fireball
    Kirby - final cutter

60% damage, KOs at 0% even with DI
    Pikachu - down B lightning
    Zelda - Din's Fire
    Lucas - PK Freeze
    Lucas - PK Thunder
    Ness - PK Flash
    Ness - PK Thunder
    Lucario - fully charged energy balls
    Samus - fully charged shots
    His Up A smash has super armor when he does the head butt. He doesn't have super armor when he's leaning back getting ready to hit them though.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I was a Game and Watch/Ice Climbers main in Melee and it pleases me to see him buffed while still being SO DAMN FUN TO PLAY. ^_^ I love him.
    His Up A smash has super armor when he does the head butt. He doesn't have super armor when he's leaning back getting ready to hit them though.

Its also extremely powerful, I actually knocked out people before with that attack even though their percentage was low :tup:

He still has one of the best up+B in the game, massive priority but can get killed off easily against Pikachu players!

He still has one of the best up+B in the game, massive priority but can get killed off easily against Pikachu players!

How so? You can "Bucket" Pikachu's Neutral B and Down B thunder attack. Your down tilt out ranges most (if not all) of his tilts and his Down smash. Your Bair and dair will rape his sheilds so turtling wont be an option with him.

G&W best stage is Corneria (Melee). You can "Bucket" the arwing's projectiles and even the Grey Fox's laser. I don't have the damage calculations yet, but I'll post them when I get a chance.

So far G&W doesn't have any bad matchups. He may have problems with characters that out range him *looks at Marth*. Snake can be a hassle as well if you can't get to him. If you get close to Snake he won't do much because he seems like he's made for zoning/controlling space. Heavy characters *looks at Bowser* may give him problems because of their sheer power. G&W is EXTREMELY light so just be cautious when playing heavy characters.

G&W seems like a hit and run character because he can't take much damage; then again, it may just be my play style. I hope this helps any aspiring G&W players *looks at Gorehound* :tup:

EDIT: Is team play possible with friends on Brawl?
    I use him as my main as well, love the frying pan I find it annoys ppl.

I have connected online with friends in team mode. You can also play with 2 ppl online with one wii if it's friend mode.
    How so? You can "Bucket" Pikachu's Neutral B and Down B thunder attack. Your down tilt out ranges most (if not all) of his tilts and his Down smash. Your Bair and dair will rape his sheilds so turtling wont be an option with him.

G&W best stage is Corneria (Melee). You can "Bucket" the arwing's projectiles and even the Grey Fox's laser. I don't have the damage calculations yet, but I'll post them when I get a chance.

So far G&W doesn't have any bad matchups. He may have problems with characters that out range him *looks at Marth*. Snake can be a hassle as well if you can't get to him. If you get close to Snake he won't do much because he seems like he's made for zoning/controlling space. Heavy characters *looks at Bowser* may give him problems because of their sheer power. G&W is EXTREMELY light so just be cautious when playing heavy characters.

G&W seems like a hit and run character because he can't take much damage; then again, it may just be my play style. I hope this helps any aspiring G&W players *looks at Gorehound* :tup:

EDIT: Is team play possible with friends on Brawl?
    Alright I have obtained the calculations.

If you use the bucket on the Grey Fox's laser it will do 46% to your opponent and the knockback is ridiculously strong. It's almost a one hit KO.

If you use the bucket on the Arwing's laser it will do 50% damage to your opponent and it is a one hit KO.

I tested both of these on Fox while his damage was set to zero each time. Since Fox is a light weight the amount of knockback may vary on the weight; however, the weight will not be a factor on the Arwing's laser. If your opponent has already taken damage they will die from either one.

This easily makes it the best stage for G&W players because you can get a free bucket. :rock:
    BTW guys, more important than all of this is that many of GWs attacks auto-cancel. This means he can break shields and punish rolling opponents when opponents are trying to play defensively against him. GW is one of the best offensive threats in the game. Sadly, he dies sooo quickly and easily so opponents like Dedede, Marth or Ike that shrug off pressure and hit back hard can be trouble.
  • 46494649 Certainly, they existed. Joined: Posts: 1,301
    if nobody mentioned this before, Game And Watch can Pillar now like Falco used to
    http://youtube.com/user/xiaoyuryu

not part of the scene.
    Got this from Smashboards. Props to omegablackmage for using G&W.

His bucket is very useful....

18% damage, won't KO until well over 100%
    Lizardon - fire breath
    Ice Climber - breath
    Koopa - fire breath

25% damage, KOs around 65% with no DI
    Lucas - PK Fire
    Fox - blaster
    Falco - blaster
    Samus - uncharged shots
    Peach - counter (pan foods)

33% damage
    Ness - PK Fire
    Yoshi - Down B Stars

42% damage, KOs around 20% with no DI
    Robot - optic blast
    Mario - fireballs
    Pit - arrows
    Dedede - Up B stars

44% damage
    Lucario - uncharged energy ball

50% damage, KOs at 0% with no DI
    Pikachu - neutral B lightning
    Wolf - blaster
    Luigi - fireball
    Kirby - final cutter

60% damage, KOs at 0% even with DI
    Pikachu - down B lightning
    Zelda - Din's Fire
    Lucas - PK Freeze
    Lucas - PK Thunder
    Ness - PK Flash
    Ness - PK Thunder
    Lucario - fully charged energy balls
    Samus - fully charged shots
    so the above post contains all things that GandW can bucket correct
  • Torn ApartTorn Apart New Noise Joined: Posts: 1,150
    Up air is one of my favorite moves in the game. It really screws up peoples trajectories coming down (especially against Dedede's up B), and if you catch them when they are jumping, you will launch them so high (they wont die unfortunately) that they have to adjust to the sudden raise in height.

G&W's Uair is too awesome! Fun to make people hover above you.
    faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

AKA Zeppeli/Necro Bobsledder
    if nobody mentioned this before, Game And Watch can Pillar now like Falco used to

Pillar? I don't know what that is, please explain.
  • KMDKMD Lurkers Anonymous Joined: Posts: 699
    Pillar? I don't know what that is, please explain.

Pillaring was a technique that Falco could do in which he would use his Shine (D+B), then jump cancel it into a SHFFL'd Aerial D+A, land, and repeat the process.
    I'm here to have Eddie turn his upper body into a giant cow skull and make stupid cackling noises while sodomizing people with gigantic black drills. In HELL. Now THAT'S villainy.
    -Ben Reed
  • spideymanspideyman Much Luv to the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i'm new to Game and watch. what is his bucket and how do u use it?
    Much love to the midwest.
    i'm new to Game and watch. what is his bucket and how do u use it?

His bucket is essential to countering ''laser spammers''. G&W's bucket can absorb energy projectiles such as Pit's arrows, Samus's charge shot, Lucarios aura sphere, and even Pikachu's thunder. Whenever you use the bucket on one of these projectiles he stocks them. When you stock 3 projectiles you can use the bucket to release a powerful attack (It's a type of liquid, and you have to be sort of close to hit the opponent). When you die you don't lose your stocks, and you can use the bucket on stage projectiles like Corneria. There are things you can't use the bucket on, but on the first page I provided a list of projectiles that you can stock. The power of t. he bucket depends on the type of projectiles you use, this is showed on the first page as well. You don't have to have perfect aim; Just make sure your close to the projectile. You're invincible when your stocking projectiles, but there is a little bit of lag after you use the bucket. I hope this info helps, if you want more info then just pm me.

What do you have to do to Pillar with G&W?

G&W is an excellent match against any character, well sort of.

I remember doing all 4 character braw and this one really good Metaknight player was always winning, but when I faced him 1 on 1, he couldn't even get near me and lost badly :bgrin:

He does have a problem facing against Toon Link spamming his arrows and bombs, and Zero Suit Samus really slow attacks.

His U+B is his greatest weapon against high flying characters like Snake, Pit, and Kirby since it just smacks them more higher and to the edge :tup:
    What do you have to do to Pillar with G&W?

G&W is an excellent match against any character, well sort of.

I remember doing all 4 character braw and this one really good Metaknight player was always winning, but when I faced him 1 on 1, he couldn't even get near me and lost badly :bgrin:

He does have a problem facing against Toon Link spamming his arrows and bombs, and Zero Suit Samus really slow attacks.

His U+B is his greatest weapon against high flying characters like Snake, Pit, and Kirby since it just smacks them more higher and to the edge :tup:

Yea good stuff, Marth can give him problems because he out ranges everything G&W has ; don't even get me started on Snake. I really need to play you:lol:.
    Yea good stuff, Marth can give him problems because he out ranges everything G&W has ; don't even get me started on Snake. I really need to play you:lol:.

Oh yeah, I have more problems with Snake though.

Yeah lets play, wait, I'm sure I played you before, it was a G&W vs. G&W match because I remember facing a G&W player named ORO.
    Oh yeah, I have more problems with Snake though.

Yeah lets play, wait, I'm sure I played you before, it was a G&W vs. G&W match because I remember facing a G&W player named ORO.

Oh yea that's right

*smacks forehead*

You beat me that time, and that was a damn good match we had. I should have recorded it. It's funny that when I whoop someones ass with G&W on Basic Brawl they switch to G&W as well.:rofl:
    G and W against Marth, feelings, what do you guys do
    Oh yea that's right

*smacks forehead*

You beat me that time, and that was a damn good match we had. I should have recorded it. It's funny that when I whoop someones ass with G&W on Basic Brawl they switch to G&W as well.:rofl:

Yeah, that was an awesome match and we need more love for the real Old-School. lets do mirror matches again next time :bgrin:

Yeah, I notice that too, but they end up sucking with him:rofl:

Oh yeah, I think Pikachu can classify as G&W's mortal enemy. His Thunder is very dangerous against him. I can't count how many times Pikachu's thunder knocked my G&W out from the sky.
  • SatomibloodSatomiblood Cheeseburger Chong Joined: Posts: 4,556
    Game and watch is a beast in brawl.
    I wanted to main him in melee but he wasn't good enough, he's my main for sure now.

Your avatar looks like it should be a character in Brawl.

Anyway, I love G&W. My best character for sure. Still learning, but he's got a lot going for him.

Could someone please post his entire movelist?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
    Could someone please post his entire movelist?

Done, and yes...I copied and pasted this from another site :rofl:.

A, A

Damage: 3, 1+
    Knockback: Very low

A standard attack. Odds are, you wont use it except when you need some space. But there are better moves for that.

Tilt Forward A

Damage: 10
    Knockback: Low

This move has a lot of range, but doesn't do a lot of damage or knockback.

Tilt Down A

Damage: 6

This move has amazing range, and is very quick. It is useful out of shield, and can sometimes trip an opponent, which can lead into one of GW's great Smash attacks.

Tilt Up A

Damage: 8
    Knockback: Moderately Low

Up A is very fast, and is a good punish for an air approach. It can be used very quickly and, at low percents, can combo into another move or another tilt Up A.. It is one of his best combo moves.

Dash Attack

Damage: 11

This move does low knockback, but decent enough percent, and is quick out of a dash. Make sure you aren't predictable with this, as it is very laggy and easily punished.

Forward Smash

Damage: 18
    Knockback: High

Quick and does a substantial amount of knockback, the Forward Smash is one of GW's best moves. Useful after somebody attacks your shield.

Up Smash

Damage: 18
    Knockback: Very High

This is probably GW's worst Smash, but it is actually pretty good. This can be used to halt an air approach, and it does a lot of knockback. Very powerful.

Down Smash

Damage: 15
    Knockback: High

This Smash attack actually does way more knockback than you would expect. It's very quick, and is great to use out of a shield, or a down throw.

Grabs

Down Throw

Knockback: n/a

This is probably going to be your primary throw, as it does literally no knockback. You can tech it, but if they react poorly you can punish out of this throw with Smash attacks, or pretty much anything you want.

Up Throw

Theres no reason for you to use this throw over any of your other throws, because it doesn't set up the opponent for a combo or off the edge.

Forward Throw

The Forward Throw is useful to get the opponent off the edge, but thats about it. A decent setup for edgeguards.

Back Throw

The Back throw is useful to get the opponent off the edge.

Air Moves

Neutral A

Damage: 17

The Neutral A is deceptively good for comboing opponents, and has a nice big hitbox on it.

Forward A

Damage: 16
    Knockback: Moderate

As a standard approach and edgeguard, the Forward A is an all around useful move that does just enough knockback for its speed.

Back A

Damage: 15

One of GW's best moves, and arguably one of the best move in the game. Use the Back A on an opponents shield, destroying it with no consequences; it is impossible to punish if spaced correctly. This is a truly amazing move that you can use time and time again through your matches.

Up A

Damage: 16

This move has a very interesting (and seemingly useless) feature. If the move doesn't connect, it will push your opponent upwards. At first glance, Up A seems silly, but it is a great way to ensure that your opponent cannot punish you even if you miss the attack. Overall, its not the best air attack, but its a good attack when the opponent is overhead.

Down A

Damage: 14, 6 (20 Total)

Down A pulls you straight down like several down airs will in Brawl. It does decent damage, but isn't too useful overall. Down A can spike off the edge, however, which is useful, not great, because it does pull you down as well.

Specials

Chef
    Standard B

Damage: 4

As GW's projectile, the Chef isn't that great, but it can put a few obstacles in the way of your opponents, which is nice. Not particularly spammable, but overall a decent move.

Judgment
    Forward B

Damage: 2 (12 to self) - 32
    Knockback: n/a - Very High

Judgment is a total mystery. It has random effects from harming yourself to freezing your opponent to landing a one hit KO. Feel free to experiment with this move, as it seems to work well after an opponent hits your shield, or after a down throw.

Oil Panic
    Down B

Damage: ?
    Knockback: Moderately High - Very High

You have to absorb a projectile three times in order to activate the Oil Panic. (Its knockback depends on what you've absorbed.) Take in three Samus charge shots and you'll deliver an OHKO for sure. Take in three fire breaths and the effect will be reduced, albeit still fairly powerful. This carries over in between stock, and is great for opponents who like to throw a lot of projectiles at you, particularly Pit.

Fire

Up B

Knockback: Very Low

Fire isn't useful as a direct attack, but it is used for recovery. After youve executed Fire, you can still perform air attacks, which makes it much more useful and diverse.
  • SatomibloodSatomiblood Cheeseburger Chong Joined: Posts: 4,556
    Ah thanks
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just finished practicing with G&W, and I think I'm gonna use him more often. He's really fun to use. Ganon will always be my main, but G&W will make a nice secondary fighter for me.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Question?

Does his bucket really catch all incoming projectiles?

I was able to catch Pit, Mario, Fox/Falco/Wolf projectiles, but why is it hard to catch Link's arrows!

I always end up getting hit by those!
    Question?

Does his bucket really catch all incoming projectiles?

I was able to catch Pit, Mario, Fox/Falco/Wolf projectiles, but why is it hard to catch Link's arrows!

I always end up getting hit by those!

He can only catch energy based projectiles. He cannot use the bucket on neither of the links arrow and bombs. He can't use the bucket on Snakes bombs either. You can use the bucket on Pikachu's thunder.
    He can only catch energy based projectiles. He cannot use the bucket on neither of the links arrow and bombs. He can't use the bucket on Snakes bombs either. You can use the bucket on Pikachu's thunder.

Damnit!

Now there is another reason why Link and Snake are annoying sons of bitches:arazz:
    Damnit!

Now there is another reason why Link and Snake are annoying sons of bitches:arazz:

Yea tell me about it. Snake is probably one of G&W's worst match ups (besides marth.)