Singapore Scene

Comments

• FakeSteveFakeSteve Mayhem Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 2,499
    Hi :)

I'm a Canadian StarCraft player currently living in Singapore, and really getting into SF4. I registered here looking for some local players because playing online just ain't cool (starhub :bluu:) and I'm real happy to see there's a whole crew!

This is the first fighter I've played, but the depth and complexity, and how obviously skilled the top players are... this is what attracted me to StarCraft, and I've been playing that for nine years.

I'd love to meet up and play with absolutely anyone of any skill level (right now i'm very bad hahah). Right now I'm restricted to playing at the office or my buddy's apartment, cuz the steep pricetag of a PS3 and the game (and maybe a stick) combined is kind of alarming, and I want to make sure I'm gonna get my money's worth in terms of sticking with it before I drop the dough.

I play Rufus, and if you'll have me out to play with you, beer's on me :smokin: I've got my MSN and AIM listed in my profile.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeers
    HOT DOG KING
  • YagamiYagami NOT a KOF fanboy Joined: Posts: 235
    Welcome to Singapore Fakesteve! First thing you could do is register on www.round1.sg because that's where most of us post info on gatherings and whatnot. You just missed out on two great gatherings over the past week so go check it out ASAP!

Btw signed up for the Starcraft2 beta...hope to God i get in!

Also, I post tournament info on my blog sf4singapore.blogspot.com so do check it out. Peace.
    www.round1.sg <-- Singapore's premier fighting games website

http://www.youtube.com/user/atatashai <-- My youtube feat SF4 matches
    Big tournaments coming up! As usual check my blog for details.

sf4singapore.blogspot.com

• Desert FoxDesert Fox no game Joined: Posts: 199
    mann i miss the junction :(
    pringles all day...
  • SlinkunSlinkun s.hp's your face! Joined: Posts: 1,143
    Posting this a few weeks late, but sorry about not getting to play you Yagami. I still showed up to Bugis a couple times that day but you weren't there. Was probably good too since I was so off my game from being underway that I would have probably lost that money match, haha.

You guys have a nice scene though. Those were some of the nicest SF4 cabs I think I've ever seen over at Bugis. It was a pretty roomy viewing area too so you can watch a lot of matches while you wait. If anyone else was in that arcade in early august and wondered who the random white guy playing guile was, that was me.
    In Salt Lake City? PM me if you think your rad in 3rd strike, SFIV, MvC3 or CvS2. Looking for some good competition!

Currently sponsored by the Seraphim Organization! Check out our site at: http://shdfate.wix.com/seraphimorg#
  • thedude.comthedude.com Gedo Gang Goes Funky Joined: Posts: 3,018
    mann i miss the junction :(

you are not alone .

long time no see guys :) . I am now in jakarta and haven't touched SF games for almost a year now and i just found Indonesia's SF4 scene woot .

but i am more enthusiasted to play 3s lol .
    "A spirit of rage, instilled with compassion. A heart of darkness, faithful to virtue."

-Gedo High School Motto
    Posting this a few weeks late, but sorry about not getting to play you Yagami. I still showed up to Bugis a couple times that day but you weren't there. Was probably good too since I was so off my game from being underway that I would have probably lost that money match, haha.

You guys have a nice scene though. Those were some of the nicest SF4 cabs I think I've ever seen over at Bugis. It was a pretty roomy viewing area too so you can watch a lot of matches while you wait. If anyone else was in that arcade in early august and wondered who the random white guy playing guile was, that was me.

Hey Slinkun, I was expecting a call from ya! Yea, too bad we missed each other, it would have been great to meet up and get some games in. Was really busy during that period of time. =( I hope you enjoyed yourself and thanks for the compliments re: the scene. Any chance you'll be popping by again?

D.Fox: You were here before?

thedude.com: LONG TIME NO SEE. How you doing? Do you know the brothers Lius and Toby? They come here often and I'll be meeting them next week. You should really get into SF4, its a good game and all the good players are playing it. =)

• thedude.comthedude.com Gedo Gang Goes Funky Joined: Posts: 3,018

thedude.com: LONG TIME NO SEE. How you doing? Do you know the brothers Lius and Toby? They come here often and I'll be meeting them next week. You should really get into SF4, its a good game and all the good players are playing it. =)

not much , should have known earlier about SF4 players last year or during jan or feb hehe . well maybe friday i will be meeting up with the other players at their hangout .

see you around :P ,see if i can make it back to sg for vacation .
    i want to know about RanBat because i'm keened to make it happen in jakarta .
    "A spirit of rage, instilled with compassion. A heart of darkness, faithful to virtue."

-Gedo High School Motto
    Hey Slinkun, I was expecting a call from ya! Yea, too bad we missed each other, it would have been great to meet up and get some games in. Was really busy during that period of time. =( I hope you enjoyed yourself and thanks for the compliments re: the scene. Any chance you'll be popping by again?

Unsure if I'll be in the area any time soon. If I do wind up coming back it will probably be in a year or so when we go on deployment again. I probably would have stayed in that arcade longer, but when we go out in a foreign country, we're required to have a "liberty buddy" at all times so no one rapes/steals us. It's pretty rough trying to convince people who just want to get drunk to hang out in an arcade for any longer than an hour. Ha.
    In Salt Lake City? PM me if you think your rad in 3rd strike, SFIV, MvC3 or CvS2. Looking for some good competition!

Currently sponsored by the Seraphim Organization! Check out our site at: http://shdfate.wix.com/seraphimorg#
  • TheMummyTheMummy ~Anakaris Curse~ Joined: Posts: 262
    I also miss my hang out place (Bugis Junction).. :(
    ~Anakaris Curse~

My MVC2 Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/whoseyn
    Marvel 2 Filipinas: http://www.youtube.com/user/iamerchie (Other matches)
    PSN: AnakarisCurse

MVC2 Teams: Ruby Heart/Anakaris/Son Son; Anakaris/Storm/Son Son; Son Son / Anakaris / Cable; (and any other 30+ Anakaris varation teams)
    MVC3 Teams: Magneto/Amaterasu/Taskmaster; Wesker/Amaterasu/Taskmaster; Storm/Amaterasu/Lei Lei
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    Where's all the Blazblue guys!?!?!?!
  • BuRn|NgVxBuRn|NgVx MASH! Joined: Posts: 34
    hey kim, the blazblue players (and any other fighting game players for that matter) all hang out at the same arcade @ bugis junction. You can hit up http://round1.sg to check out the blazblue section there.
    You think she's 'just your gal' but she may be Everyone's pal.

All women are filthy lying whores.
  • wepeelwepeel Blanka is my only hope Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Hey guys...gonna ask a different question. Where do you work? I've registered onto jobscentral and most jobs are only hiring Singaporean natives. I could definitely see myself living and working on the island...just wondering what the rest of you guys do, and umm...whether or not any of you know any other employed expats :sweat:
    do you believe I would take such a thing with me, and give it to a police man

-find the truth on page 318 of the Thinking Out Loud Thread V.2
  • RchanRchan Joined: Posts: 46
    I believe you can try if emailing them if you have higher qualifications than what they are expecting . alot of companies now in singapore are hiring foreigners now .
  • AlTheiuMasterAlTheiuMaster Joined: Posts: 2
    Some pics from some of our members who went to Japan for a national tourney.
    http://tetrasg.com/2010/04/09/pictures-from-tokyo-trip-are-up/
  • NerNer Joined: Posts: 23
    Nice thread! Been in Singapore for a couple weeks (French expat), and played at Plaza Singapura a few times. How would you rate the competition there? Ran into a couple scary Sagats, always tough for my Rufus (well, I used to play mostly Gen, can't wait for SSFIV to come out!)!

Might work in Suntec 5, so I'll be sure to check the arcade nearby, and I'll try Bugis of course! Maybe I'll run into some of you!
  • sporetempestsporetempest Joined: Posts: 187
    bonjour Ner, welcome to Singapore. I've heard many good things about the French standard of SF. Anw Plaza Singapura has average competition. The top players in Singapore, as you might have noticed already, always play at Bugis. PM me if you need directions or help getting around.(I'm a Juri and El Fuerte player). Or you can post an introduction at www.round1.sg as most of the Singaporean community is active there.

cheers and enjoy your stay here!

- spore.
  • NerNer Joined: Posts: 23
    Thanks for your answer! Yes there are some pretty good players in France but I forgot to mention I'm not one of them :P My Rufus doesn't do that great, even at Plaza Singapura, so we'll see! Hopefully once SSFIV comes out I can do better with my Gen, even with all the nerfs.

I'll give Bugis a try when I can, probably as soon as this week end. I'll also give a look to that website, thanks!
  • sporetempestsporetempest Joined: Posts: 187
    it's gonna be a huge month for fighting game fans in Singapore this July with two heavyweight events taking place:

1) Battle Medley Singapore - 9th to 11th July at the Singapore Expo

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=240733

2) SBO 2010 Qualifiers - 17th, 24th and 31 July at Arcadia @ Iluma Shopping Center

visit www.round1.sg for more news and info!

get hype!
    It's been awhile since I've been to Singapore, but I'm judging from the posts prior that Bugis is still the place to go for high-level SF4? I'm also guessing they don't have any sort of crazy SSF4 jerry rig setup or anything?

• constellationconstellation Joined: Posts: 126
    Hey guys. I'm visiting Singapore from Canada for about 2 weeks. (I grew up in sg, actually, but I haven't been back for about 7 years) It's my 6th day here now, actually. How's the competition in Bugis Junction in the afternoon on weekdays? It''s pretty much the only time I'm free because of my plans here. Also, is there a SSF4 setup somehow or is it still vanilla? (not looking forward to facing un-nerfed Sagats with Ken, lol)
  • El SweepadorEl Sweepador El Sweepador Joined: Posts: 18
    Hey folks, I'm a Seattle, WA SSF4 player and I'm moving to Singapore (will be there around Nov 1 2010) and am looking for a scene to be a part of. I currently play in the local Seattle scene and hopefully will find or build one in Singapore. Question - is the scene purely arcade based or are people holding console tournaments/get togethers at their homes or in other public locations?

thanks

El Sweepador
    El Sweepador
    Nom Nom Nom
  • BuRn|NgVxBuRn|NgVx MASH! Joined: Posts: 34
    Hey El Sweepador / Constellation

The scene here is primarily Arcade based, centered around Bugis Junction, but players do have console sessions at their various homes. There are 3 jury rigged super cabinets at bugis junction currently.

As for competition on weekday afternoons, it's pretty random. Sometimes people finish work and school early and head down, and sometimes it's dead quiet. Best bet is at least a weekday evening i'm afraid =/
    You think she's 'just your gal' but she may be Everyone's pal.

All women are filthy lying whores.
  • El SweepadorEl Sweepador El Sweepador Joined: Posts: 18
    Thanks BuRN. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Are there any regular tourneys? Also is SRK the place? Or is there a better website for me to use for the Singapore scene?
    El Sweepador
    Nom Nom Nom
  • cookiecarnagecookiecarnage Joined: Posts: 43
    The singpaore SSFIV Scene is building back up in anticipation of the AE version coming out. Lots of tournaments around and prize money to be won.
  • taxtax Joined: Posts: 27
    heya guys, not sure if any mvc3 players from singapore (or who are coming to singapore) are lurking around, but i'm helping to organise weekly mvc3 sessions at iluma (colosseum, level 7) every friday from 6pm to 12am; if you'd like to play some mvc3 or meet up with fellow mvc3 players pls do come and join us. part of the session comprises a tournament titled "BattleField Fridays", where some of our top players thrash it out to see who's the best. that's a great chance to see some high-level gameplay, and we'd be happy to share our skills and tactics with anybody and everybody.

you can check out some of our recent vids here: Round1SG's youtube channel. i've uploaded the finals matches of the latest tourney on the SRK media library, so you can take a look there as well.

we also have a facebook page where we share videos and do a lot of talkcocking about mvc3: MvC3 Singapore on FB.

anyway our next session is this friday, pls feel free to come down and take a look!
    BattleField Fridays for MvC3, 8pm@Colosseum (Iluma level 7)! Match vids posted on: www.youtube.com/user/Round1SG
    MvC3 Singapore on FB: www.facebook.com/MVC3Singapore
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,369
    Anyone know of any arcades that are open until at least 2am in Singapore?
    the latest i know is virtualand@nex, which closes at 1am on fri/sat... there isn't any other arcade open so late.

colosseum@iluma is open till 3am on fri/sat though, you can usually catch us there pretty damn late playing mvc3 on fridays.
    BattleField Fridays for MvC3, 8pm@Colosseum (Iluma level 7)! Match vids posted on: www.youtube.com/user/Round1SG
  • TaXiTaXi Joined: Posts: 1
    the videos for last friday's BFF tourney are out! you can find them on Round1.SG's youtube channel. highlighting a few key matches:

the full bracket results of the tourney are here as well: Battlefield Fridays 1.3 - CHALLONGE!

---

don't forget that BFF 1.4 is just two days away, and we'll be giving our full cash pot to the champion of the BFF league table! the placings are really close so you can be assured it'll be a nail-biting fight to the finish. also, the top 8 players will get to have their gameplay recorded and put up on youtube!

and if you're stuck at home, join us on our live stream at Round1 on USTREAM! lots of trash-talking amidst some really crazy, high-level gameplay.

hope to see you guys there at iluma this friday (or on the stream)! :)
    and here are the winners for BFF 1.4:

1st: Airconman (she-hulk, taskmaster, tron)
    2nd: Seo (dante, zero, sentinel / dante, zero, dormammu)
    3rd: Xian (magneto, wesker, akuma)

videos:
    grand finals
    winners' finals
    losers' finals
    and if you played on the big screen, your match (and face) can be seen on the stream archive!

Full bracket can be found here: http://round1.challonge.com/bff1_4

---

and we finally have a winner for the first ever season of BattleField Fridays! with two 1st place victories and a consistent showing throughout, Xian truly deserves his place at the top of the league table, and has won our full cash pot prize of $100 and the title of BFF season 1 champion!

we'll be taking a 1-week break before we start the season 2 of BFF, so keep on training and you might just be the winner of the next BFF!
    hey guys we're doing an informal console session tomorrow (fri) in lieu of BFF, so please feel free to drop by colosseum (iluma lvl 7) at 7pm or later! :)
  • ATM SPIDERTAOATM SPIDERTAO A Hero Superior... ATM SPIDERTAO Joined: Posts: 4,153
    hey guys, i'm a canadian dude teaching english in south korea... i was thinking of visiting singapore this summer and play at a local mvc3 tourney if possible. do u guys only hold events on fridays? are there any events held on actual weekends? ur matches look pretty good, do u guys play online too? if so, what region? I play on the japanese region since i'm so close to japan but most matches are laggy and everyone hates me cuz i'm laggy =(
    To be the greatest...

ATM SPIDERTAO
    XBOXLIVE gamertag: ATM SPIDERTAO
    hello! currently our tourneys are held every friday, but we also have separate console sessions on weekends as well. let me know when you'll be in singapore, and i'll see what we can do. and thanks for the compliment; we've got some really good players in singapore. :)

as for online i'm not so sure about the region, but most of our players play on PSN (i'm on XBL though). however because of the lag we usually play offline instead.we actually post regularly on a separate local forum, so if you want you can post on our matchmaking thread to look for players:

http://www.round1.sg/forums/index.php?topic=1911.0

hope to hear from you soon!
  • ATM SPIDERTAOATM SPIDERTAO A Hero Superior... ATM SPIDERTAO Joined: Posts: 4,153
    wow thanks for the fast reply! ya tickets aren't that expensive from korea, but u guys are FAR from me. like 4000 km or something lol i thought we might be able to play online but i doubt it hahaha i'll let u know if and when i'll be coming. i doubt i'd go alone, so if another person wants to go to singapore, i'll definitely check it out! thanks man lol
    To be the greatest...

ATM SPIDERTAO
    hey guys, this coming week we're going to switch it up a little...

with the 2v2 REVENGE OF SPORE FUNDRAISER TOURNEY!

we're doing this tourney to:

1) herald the return of our prodigal son spore
    2) let newcomers mix with and learn from veterans
    3) raise funds for our increased rent

more details...

time/date: friday june 3, 8pm at colosseum (iluma level 7)

price: $8 per team. that means $4 per person, which is $1 less than normal BFF price. but there won't be a prize. however, all proceeds will go towards our increased rent (which has been increased for the month of june) so we sincerely hope that everyone can participate regardless.

team make-up: to allow newcomers to interact with veterans, we'll be randomly assigning each newcomer to a seeded player. this seeding will be based on the results of BFF season 1, and also how many teams there are.

example: if we have 8 newcomers we'll randomly assign them to the top 8 and have 8 teams. if there are 16 newcomers we'll randomly assign them to the top 16 and have 16 teams.

format: teams of 2, double-elimination, best of three. catch: newcomers from each team will fight each other first.

hopefully everyone will get to know each other, learn from one another and just have fun. shout if you have questions!

oh one more thing: if all goes well, we're looking to have seven set-ups from now on. enjoy the free play! :)
    we've just finished our very first 2v2 tourney, and i can safely say it was one of the most fun mvc3 sessions in recent history. here are the results:

1st place: airconman/vx
    2nd place: gellon/spore
    3rd place: seo/chin

thanks to everyone for their support and participation, and also understanding re: technical issues. match vids of the top 4 teams will be up shortly. in the meantime, start prepping up for BFF 2.1 that's going to happen next week!
    Less than 24 hours to the start of BFF season 2! It's a brand new start in many ways: besides the Blazblue community joining in the madness, we've done away with the point system, and now have WEEKLY cash prizes for the top 3!

the cash pot will be divided 5:3:2 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively; every week is an opportunity to go home with cash! and even if you don't make it to the top 3, the top 8 will have their vids recorded and placed on YouTube for posterity biggrin.gif

also, let's not forget that we'll have SEVEN setups this season onwards, which means a crapload of freeplay for everyone!

so join us tomorrow 8pm at colosseum for a no-holds-barred fight to the finish! entry fee is $5 as usual, and $7 if you're joining both tourneys.

PS: registrations start at 7.30pm and we're running on a very tight schedule, so please be there on time, or contact me if you need us to hold a spot.
    BFF 2.2 in less than 24 hours!

check out our facebook page for more updates: www.facebook.com/MVC3Singapore

btw spidertao if you're reading this: lulzicon says hi :D
    BFF 2.2 is over! a very interesting top 8 this time around, with newcomer lulzicon making it to the top 3, and of course our MVP mustapusta making it to 4th place.

results
    1st: airconman
    2nd: rchusan
    3rd: lulzicon

honorable mention - 4th: mustapusta

vids
    stream archive: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTe6jbvbG_A
    winners' finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerbszL8gw0
    losers' finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAA-J1VX4DI
    grand finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7E59JATzA
    BFF 2.3 is less than 24 hours away, and just to let you guys know we've managed to get an extension for BFF this friday, so we have the venue from 6pm all the way till closing time... which is 3am! if you're able to stay, please feel free to hang around for more games!
    a very special BFF 2.3: guest starring mike ross and gootecks, and featuring a special beatdown by ACM.

results
    1st - airconman
    2nd - seo
    3rd - yama

vids
    exhibition matches between mike ross and airconman: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicumFW2LtI
    winners' finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFopajTfow
    losers' finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGVC_r7c40
    grand finals: www.youtube.com/watch?v=28fTJb2xxfw

thank you all for accommodating us and our foreign guests! the photos/footage/coverage will be up very soon, and you can be sure everyone will know about the SG fighting scene. smiley.gif
    results for BFF 2.4
    1st - rchusan
    2nd - airconman
    3rd - xian

vids
    winners' finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7DGk3r-DVg
    losers' finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGivRXmuU_Y
    grand finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOTNKK4EHI

as is customary, we'll be taking a one-week break before we start BFF again. nonetheless there should be a console session for next week.

in the meantime, everyone start thinking of teammates. :D
    we're famous!! watch us on cross counter tv here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijB67anwUVU
    UPDATE: unfortunately our next scheduled BFF date of 22 jul has already been taken up at colosseum, so we won't be able to do BFF then. given that, we've decided to have BFF this week (15 jul) and skip next week instead.

please shout with questions/objections/suggestio​ns!

EDIT: just a heads up: i'll be collecting $2 from everyone playing for the mvc3 setup of this week's BFF; unfortunately we'll still need to cover costs so free play won't be free this week. :///

but nonetheless it's a nominal fee to play as many games as you can till midnight, so it's still very much worth it. and money matches are more than welcome. :D

hope to see all of you there!
    hey tax, a few weeks ago, i said i might go to singapore but looks like it's not happening. i'm doing a trip around mainland malaysia instead with some non gaming friends. they didn't wanna go to singapore on a friday and watch me play videogames... so my question is. if i bring my xbox360 to malaysia, will there be dudes who can play with me? lol that's the only thing i can do, aside from leaving my friends a day earlier and going to the crazy mvc3 setup i saw on crosscounter TV with mike ross and gootecks. so my two options are, player matches or lobbies on random days in two weeks... or coming into singapore by myself on like a wednesday night. which option is better do you think? do you guys even play on xboxlive? if i go in person, we can do money matches or whatever, but i might have to change my flight plans which is kinda hard cuz i'm going to the philippines immediately after, but possibly feasible haha let me know!!
    To be the greatest...

ATM SPIDERTAO
    heya! ok first thing is that our typical sessions are on fridays. but i'd be happy to set up a session for you with the rest of our players on a wednesday, just that it won't be as fancy as the one you saw on crosscounter, haha. money matches are not a problem :)

have a think about that; if you do decide to stay in malaysia we know some good mvc3 players as well. you can hit them up at their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/MvC3Malaysia) to set up some matches.

currently i think if the mvc3 malaysian peeps are able to set something up for you your best bet would be with them. but let me know how it goes! btw our facebook page is at http://www.facebook.com/MVC3Singapore; please feel free to chat us up there!
    oh WTF i didn't even know malaysia had a mvc3 scene cuz there wasn't an srk thread! haha thanks for the hookup man. i'll be visiting two cities, KL and penang? are singapores players a lot better than malaysian ones? i mean the top guys... i'll be honest, i watched ur vids and u guys look probably a bit better if not more than me lol. it's kinda hard to tell by just video alone but the fact that u guys have a scene instead of having to rely on laggy matches with japan will make u tough to beat lol. i really wanted to make it to the tournament but if i go 0-2, that would really suck cuz i traveled pretty far. cool, i'll let the malaysian guys know i'm coming and see my travel itinerary. my friends are going back to canada from singapore but i'm going back to korea and then starting my philippines trip to visit a different group of friends. thanks a lot for the quick reply, tax!! much appreciated!
    edit: hey uhhh how do you become a member of that page? i don't know how to be able to post on the wall letting them know i'm coming =/ apparently i'm a facebook noob!
    edit2: nevermind, i just clicked "like" and it allows me hahahahahaha i noticed the top player there lost to tokido in the australian tourney... i lose to tokido too online hahaha maybe i have a chance!!!
    To be the greatest...

ATM SPIDERTAO
    haha glad to hear you managed to find the fb pages. let me know how it goes! :)
    hey tax! so i made a post on the malaysian FB page and they said that something could be arranged. i asked them where is the place to play mvc3 and when is a good day to go but they haven't replied yet and it's been a few days. their FB page isn't as active as the philippines one. i'm going to the philippines next week so that'll be my first stop of epic money matches in mvc3 and sf4 haha. anyway, my question to you is. do you know what the scene is like in kuala lumpur? do they meet in a gaming room that they rent out? in an arcade with xbox systems set up? or do they meet at someone's house? i was hoping they played in a mall kinda like ur setup so i can just show up and play. if you've been there before, can you tell me what it's like there? i arranged with the philippines people that if they can't find someone's house for us to play at, i'll be renting out a gaming room and the locals will supply the consoles and controllers. that seems like a great plan to me!
    To be the greatest...

ATM SPIDERTAO
    i actually haven't been to malaysia in a very long time, but i think they'll figure something out. i don't think they have our setup though. sorry i can't help much here, but you may want to send them a private message or something for more clarification.

also, how hype are you for UMvC3!! LOOK INTO MY EYES.