The Beer Thread

DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!!Joined: Posts: 924
So being that it is the greatest holiday of the year, I see it only fitting that we start talking about our favorite kinds of Beer, get generic Beer purchasing advice, or make fun of ninnies who drink Light Beer.

So I'll start this out.

Beers I am currently found of:
Guinness Draught (only from tap, can't stand the bottled stuff)
Guinness Extra Stout(only bottled Guiness I enjoy)
Killian's Irish Red
Michelob AmberBock
Yuengling Traditional.
Say hello to your mother for me.

Comments

• BobbypigoBobbypigo Joined: Posts: 2,466
    Moretti is a great Italian beer and Ive been fond of peach beers latley too.
  • DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!! Joined: Posts: 924
    Moretti is a great Italian beer and Ive been fond of peach beers latley too.

HRmm, I have not heard of that kind before.

What kind of flavor does it have, or rather what beer does it taste similar to?
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,225
    Lech and Tyskie.

Two Polish beers that taste nice, go down easy, are stronger than most beers and come in 500ml bottles :)
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • BobbypigoBobbypigo Joined: Posts: 2,466
    HRmm, I have not heard of that kind before.

What kind of flavor does it have, or rather what beer does it taste similar to?

Its a Pilsner so its light and delicous, kinda like Dry Japanese beer called Asahi which is another great choice now that I think about it.
    Lech and Tyskie.

Two Polish beers that taste nice, go down easy, are stronger than most beers and come in 500ml bottles :)
    Asahi is also 500ml, shit, they all should be 500ml with a cork!
  • DropOffDropOff @NharlieCash Joined: Posts: 535
    I'm pretty into stella artrois at the moment.
    It's fine
  • Hajime SaitouHajime Saitou Wolf of Mibu Joined: Posts: 507
    I've been drinking black and tans lately (half guiness and half bass) It was kinda weird at first but it's actually pretty good. Other than that Redstripe and Amberbock are my faves.
    Life; its the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
  • elitericerocketelitericerocket FTS Joined: Posts: 742
    I'm more of a Gin and Tonic man myself. When I do drink beer though, I like Harp, and Newcastle.
    Avatar Makers: free, Master Chibi, .dub., Yeah Dood 120%, savaii64
    Current Avatar by: savaii64

[:hp:,:qcf::lp:,:qcf::2k:]

Dear 2009 Members,
    You fail.
    Oh fuck no!

Harp is disgusting and Newcie Brown isn't too far behind!

G&Ts are nice for a change.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • surewhyyoucansurewhyyoucan Quarter Up Joined: Posts: 498
    Lech and Tyskie.

Gotta try those.....but I haven't seen em here.
    I'm more of a Gin and Tonic man myself. When I do drink beer though, I like Harp, and Newcastle.

Three of my favorites :tup:

I just bottled my first homebrew yesterday. Tasted great, and it was flat. Made a brown ale...kinda week on the alcohol, but I'll be ok.

Went to a beer tasting, and tried a Mesquite beer that tasted as awful as it smelled. Did not agree with my tastes.

Been trying the mix and match thing, and really liked Old Engine Oil, which was a really dark ale.

Gonna have some Newc tonight.
    Say what you will
    Smoke your last Cigarette
    Don't know whay I've done, but I feel afraid
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,339 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Guinness, Heineken, Yuengling, Sam Adams, and eventually I will try Sam Adams Utopia

http://www.winejockey.com/sku29556.html
  • G.O.TG.O.T #1 Haggar fan Joined: Posts: 2,164
    I don't have too much knowledge on liquor and beer overall. But when it comes to beer I think

Tecate w/ Twang and Corona Extra. That's as far as i know on decent beer. Any suggestions for me? I've tasted Guinness I didn't like it, Bud Light is meh only if it is the only thing to drink and the females are getting loose. Miller is actually ok to me, and besides those I really never had top tier beer.

Ninja Edit: scratch that I've had that one with the blue bull on it lol. My uncle had a lot of those.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Not much of a beer person, but I like

Heineken
    Dos Equis
    Corona
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • starboystarboy A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A Joined: Posts: 550
    http://www.shiner.com/

Shinerbock>*
    It's a dark Czech-style beer brewed here in TX.

Available in 38 states, if it's available in your area, pick it up!!!!
    The ORIGINAL SFC.
    www.txsfc.com
    click on gill's penis to enter.
  • drauchdrauch Tia Joined: Posts: 91
    I like Leinenkugel, Blue Moon, and various Sam Adams. That's about all I drink, along with some girly stuff :).
  • AdverseSolutionsAdverseSolutions Joined: Posts: 1,106
    fat tire

/thread
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    Natty and coors. And I only drink beer If im playing ruit

I love vodka and anything hard more than beer.
  • ParryPerson.ParryPerson. It is done. Joined: Posts: 4,011
    Sam Adams Boston Ale is my standby, but I'll forever have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in my place.
    #LAFGC on EFNet

<MrWizard> ive pre banned parry from evo south
    <[Parry]> This is because I ditched helping on the smash brackets isn't it
    <MrWizard> yep
  • R-JiveR-Jive adoket Joined: Posts: 220
    Most Dutch beers except Heineken which is mediocre at best, I'm more of a rum or whiskey guy anyway.
  • PlutoburnPlutoburn Alpha Booze Head Joined: Posts: 247
    Only dead fishes go with the flow
    Most Dutch beers except Heineken which is mediocre at best, I'm more of a rum or whiskey guy anyway.

Judging from the way you spell whiskey, I take it you are more of a fan of American or Irish whiskey instead of scotch?
  • gunnersgunners Joined: Posts: 1,731
    Red stripe, Stela artois and Heineken I guess.
    Judging from the way you spell whiskey, I take it you are more of a fan of American or Irish whiskey instead of scotch?

Yep, you got that right :) I love me some JD,Four Roses or Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker is an excellent scotch though ( not red label :P )
  • Episode_667Episode_667 Hybrid Dolphin Joined: Posts: 656
    It's Steamwhistle for me, usually.
    "That's like practicing godhand by playing dynasty warriors." - DropOff
  • DhalsimownsDhalsimowns Joined: Posts: 976
    Fat Tire ftw
  • Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    These are my top beers:

Michelob Ultra
    Tiger Beer
    Bierbitzch
    Pyramid Hefeweizen (no lemon)
    Red Stripe
    Taiwan Beer
    Fat Tire
    Sam Adams (poor man's Fat Tire)
    Dos Equis

And some microbrews are good, too.
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
  • Digital MasterDigital Master Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Medalla Light and corona with lemon,without it i dont drink it
    "Un gusano c murio en el patio y mi barriga sangra agua llena con banana royal en los valles donde encontre a un anciano muerto luego de haberme suicidado en la pila de mierda de un elefante." - Lokagirla
  • SasmastaSasmasta Joined: Posts: 6,270
    I usually just roll with Budweiser.

Also, Red Stripe is good, but don't spill that shit on the floor.

For reals...
    :eek: -"They ate what from a cup!?"
  • MAGUS1234MAGUS1234 walk forward Joined: Posts: 3,993
    ^^ I feel ya, budwieser always comes proper. I can see Redstripe smelling like ass on the floor, I left an open one in my room for like 2 weeks and the shit smelled rank.
    I came to Keystone II and all I got was DP'd.
  • rush downrush down AKA AAKurtz Joined: Posts: 1,019
    yeah fat tire and stone.

I would have to say that being in Japan is truely sad being the beer fan that I am. Never have I seen a country so fond of drinking yet so depraved of good beer. Every Japanese beer just tastes like recanned miller, bud, and coors, but costs twice as much. In fact most of those shitty beers like nodogoshi aren't really beer but beer flavoring + booze. I guess they do this to get around some kinda beer tax/destroy the Japanese spirit.
    SSF4: Gen, Hawk, Gouken
    3s: Ibuki, Q, Elena
    BLazBLue: Litchi
    MvC2: Rogue, Sent, Blackheart
    I actually like Asahi, Kirin, and Sapporo. They taste more crisp and dry than American beers.

Yep, you got that right :) I love me some JD,Four Roses or Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker is an excellent scotch though ( not red label :P )

Even though my sommelier class only spent 9 hours of class time on distillates, we did go through & taste many kinds of whiskey and scotch. I've been drinking Glen Fiddich 12yo as my staple whisky for ages, but Irish whisky I tasted in class was a revelation... Most Canadian and American whiskey are continuous stilled (commercial method, and due to its wacky efficiency and how its done, you could claim quadruple or 10 times distilled but the end product will just be cleaner but characterless), most better whiskey are pot stilled, usually, scotch are double pot stilled, Irish whiskey are triple distilled, so while they are not as powerful as scotch, they are still as aromatic and incredibly smooth.

I've had difficulty sharing scotch with chicks... but that'd be the go-to one. Who could resist a whiskey called Red Breast.

http://www.classicwhiskey.com/whiskey/redbreast.htm
  • Gamma ChargeGamma Charge Rivethead Joined: Posts: 83
    Stella Artois is excellent. Guinness is great, but on tap. Newcastle is another favorite. The Ithaca brewery has some good beers. Also, I like the Rogue label from the NW US. Other than one local BBQ place with an extensive beer collection on tap I have a hard time finding it anywhere around here.
  • rush downrush down AKA AAKurtz Joined: Posts: 1,019
    I actually like Asahi, Kirin, and Sapporo. They taste more crisp and dry than American beers.

Yeah my buddy who's big on beer said the same and heres my argument.
    1) The Japanese beer we actually get in the States is different or changed to suit U.S. tastes. You guys should try Japanese guiness... = (

2) It's import/expensive so there is a mental effect. I'm not saying you are stupid or anything, I just don't think most people (98%) really know what they like/want. We are all guilty of this effect. My claim is that a blind test on bud and asahi will proove its very hard to tell the difference.

In fact I think I will run this test
    SSF4: Gen, Hawk, Gouken
    3s: Ibuki, Q, Elena
    BLazBLue: Litchi
    MvC2: Rogue, Sent, Blackheart
    Perhaps. I think I'd be able to tell the difference, though, but it's not like I'd place any of those beers on the top tier of beerdom (but I WILL put Bud on low tier). I am well aware of the price effect, though, but I think the miniscule scale in this case wouldn't really sway my decision. For example, to me, $8 Michelob Ultra will always be way better than $12 Sierra Nevada.

Yeah my buddy who's big on beer said the same and heres my argument.
    1) The Japanese beer we actually get in the States is different or changed to suit U.S. tastes. You guys should try Japanese guiness... = (

2) It's import/expensive so there is a mental effect. I'm not saying you are stupid or anything, I just don't think most people (98%) really know what they like/want. We are all guilty of this effect. My claim is that a blind test on bud and asahi will proove its very hard to tell the difference.

In fact I think I will run this test

For best result, taste things blind.

Decanter, a world-renowned wine magazine based in London conducted a water taste test, employing the best tasters in Europe to find the best tasting water, the result was stunning, the tap water from Thames was actually 3rd, and the most expensive water was only in the middle of the pack.

Recently there was a big cheese competition where a commercially produce cheddar out of Scotland won, the organizer had to come out and explain the process it was judged (blind, 3 rounds).

So... our knowing of a product and price will really cloud our judgment... is an understatement.
    Jameson is the only whiskey you need.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    Jameson is the only whiskey you need.

heh, that's actually the next Irish Whiskey I am going to try. The 12yo.
    snip

Interesting, I'll have to try that sometime , I'll check if they sell it over here.
  • AgantK7AgantK7 Nexus Corporation Joined: Posts: 129
    I like Leinenkugel, Blue Moon, and various Sam Adams. That's about all I drink, along with some girly stuff :).

Blue Moon and Seasonal Moon varieties FTWins thread.
    -K7
    Beware the wrath of a patient man.
    -Plato
    Cancer will always be low-tier on any SRK ranking, because Mummy-B beasted all over it.
    -Azrael
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Joined: Posts: 565
    Michelob Ultra

Trying to watch that figure Sep?

Tried Ultra once and never again. Watered down piss. Ugh.

Guinness FTW. Just bought two 18 packs from Sam's Club. 14.9 oz cans. Next best thing to tap. Man these next three days are going to rock hard.

[URL="[URL]http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com"]Jameson[/URL[/URL]] is the only whiskey you need.

Truth.com.

I'm so glad I'm Irish. Nothing but awesome comes out of that country as far as booze.
    Jack Burton: "How do you do ma'am. Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game."
    White Tiger: "Cash or charge?"
    Jack Burton: "Oh gosh, cash, I guess. I mean it's not deductible, is it."
    Guinness, Heineken, Yuengling, Sam Adams, and eventually I will try Sam Adams Utopia

http://www.winejockey.com/sku29556.html

Yeah was watching a Modern Marvels on Brewing and that shit looks DELICIOUS,

any idea when/how often the release Utopia?

and DAAAMN that's an expensive brew lol, def. not something you drink to get fucked up on.
  • KyoujinKyoujin Vermont Guildsman Joined: Posts: 1,157
    Since moving to the UK, I've tried alot more beer than I ever have:

Red Stripe
    Asahi
    Carling
    Black Lamb
    Carslburg *I'm really fond of this one*
    Tetley's

And of course, Canadian beer:

Labatt Blue
    Moose Head *porbably the cleanest, most crisp beer I have ever tasted*

And the 'Buck a Beer' Lakeport: 24 beers for 24 bucks
    Who is John Galt?

www.octopuspie.com
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    foster lager, Negra Modelo, molson..GO CANADA ! :woot:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Bump for lazy niggas who refuse to use the search function.
    Yeah lately I've been diggin the yuengling

http://www.yuengling.com/

Their traditional Lager is some mother fucking goodness I don't know why but it tastes so gooooood.

lol they tell you how they brew it

http://www.yuengling.com/brewed.htm
  • I Am LotharI Am Lothar ಠ_ಠ Joined: Posts: 2,798
    Mack and Jack's African Amber Ale
    Deschutes Obsidian Stout

imo.
    AIM: SubtleDagger256
    When I was in Richmond, VA, I had some crazy Japanese beer that was billed as a Blue Moon substitute. It didn't taste like Blue Moon, but it was still hella good. I wish I could remember what it was.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of most stouts, but the Ale sounds dope.
  • I Am LotharI Am Lothar ಠ_ಠ Joined: Posts: 2,798
    When I was in Richmond, VA, I had some crazy Japanese beer that was billed as a Blue Moon substitute. It didn't taste like Blue Moon, but it was still hella good. I wish I could remember what it was.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of most stouts, but the Ale sounds dope.

The stout is really fucking tasty, much better than Guiness. It pretty much tastes like coffee. Here's a review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/197

People jizz themselves over it.
    AIM: SubtleDagger256
    I'll pick it up if I can find it. I love me some beer. It's why I have this belly now. :(
  • RomfiniteRomfinite in the dark Joined: Posts: 1,208
    Its all about the OE