The Beer Thread

Comments

• Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,907
    Tripple De Brugge
  • CI581CI581 Joined: Posts: 3,297
    @TFR, there was a party here last weekend. About 9 or 10 people got sick & went to the hospital. Everyone was thinking roofies. It turned out to be Four Loko. Now everyone wants to ban it. :P
  • Robo-mitsuRobo-mitsu Shinobiest Bitch! Joined: Posts: 2,708
    Found a homegrown beer that has made me completely re-think my stance on beer as an inferior source of alcohol. Called 'Good Times'; an excellent scottish beer. It's hard to describe beer without avoiding cliches such as 'refreshing' and 'smooth', but that really is the best way to describe it. First time in my life I've taken a drink of beer and stopped to say, "Struth, that is fucking gorgeous!".
    He has risen! I declare the 20th July National Ninja Day!
  • sandwichcookiesandwichcookie Unregistered User. Joined: Posts: 1,179
    If you're in LA, you have access to some of California's greatest.
    I'd try:
    - Stone Arrogant Bastard

Arrogant Bastard starts out harsh as fuck, but by about half way through with the bottle I'm lovin it.
    I hated hipsters before it was mainstream.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Salty Joined: Posts: 318
    Arrogant Bastard starts out harsh as fuck, but by about half way through with the bottle I'm lovin it.

Double Bastard will be out in November sometime...
    There's always money in the banana stand.
  • Tuna Fish RiotTuna Fish Riot Joined: Posts: 1,025
    I have a supermarket right across the street from home and that's where I normally get my beer. Anyway, they just stocked up on some Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and 60 Minute IPA. I always heard good things about this brew so I gave the 90 Minute IPA a try. The smell was amazing. Overall, it was a great beer. I'm not used to strong bitterness yet, but I can see myself drinking this often. I still need to try the 60 Minute IPA.

In other news, the more I drink Guinness Draught, the more watery it tastes to me. It's still alright in my book, but I think I'll be making the switch to Extra Stout. I'm going to miss watching the surge from the pouring of the Draught though. I heard Extra Stout on tap is godly, but very difficult to find.

Lastly, the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest has left the shelves and is now stocked with Winter Lager instead. I tried it and it tasted pretty good for a spiced beer. I've had some random pumpkin ale before that tasted exceptionally strong with the spices and it sort of conditioned me in wanting to puke whenever I taste those spices. I don't think I'll be a regular consumer for these type of beers.
    If you're in LA, you have access to some of California's greatest.
    I'd try:
    - Stone Smoked Porter
    - Stone Arrogant Bastard
    - Green Flash Double Stout
    - Great Divide Espresso Oak aged Yeti
    - Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter
    - Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Coffee Porter
    - Deschutes Abyss (I don't think they bottle this)

Edit: Great Divide is from Denver, oops

Thanks. I'm definitely going to be hunting for these.
    @TFR, there was a party here last weekend. About 9 or 10 people got sick & went to the hospital. Everyone was thinking roofies. It turned out to be Four Loko. Now everyone wants to ban it. :P

I must try one before they're banned. :rofl:
  • Brutal-RBrutal-R Reassuringly Cheap Joined: Posts: 269
    Found a beer when in a chiquitos restaurant. It is called Desperados and it is too drinkable. Expensive though. £4 something for 3 bottles.
    Ultra Respect to Yeah Dood 120% for the AV.

Flaming new people is wrong. But using CE Bison on them is perfectly OK. - Chachi
  • Machineking1313Machineking1313 Infamous User Joined: Posts: 1,452
    I just read a new study saying that alchohol is more deadly and harmful than all other drugs by far.....I was persuaded to think beer is worse than meth or crack....
    Everyone! Get your torches lit and your pitchforks ready! We are storming Capcom's headquarters while shouting "SHORYUKEN!!!!"

Check out my Yu-Gi-Oh product opening channel! https://youtube.com/channel/UCQXD7kWDoEKw51lPfngMELg
    Please like and subscribe if you enjoy the videos!
  • wezwez Grand Master Kevin Joined: Posts: 555
    Just had a bottle of Delirium last night. Amazing beer.
    Congratulations! You have achieved common sense!
    I just read a new study saying that alchohol is more deadly and harmful than all other drugs by far.....I was persuaded to think beer is worse than meth or crack....

Are they talking about addiction and binge drinking? What do they say about drinking in moderation?
    Went to a Halloween party, friend has a large, LARGE selection of cellared beer. Had a 2004 Stone Russian Imperial Stout (I didn't even know they bottled this!) and it was pretty fucking incredible.
    Anyone in SoCal? San Diego Beer Week starts tomorrow. Pretty incredible shit going on.
    Events San Diego Beer Week, 2010
  • TSwizzleTSwizzle Fearless Joined: Posts: 322
    Thanks for that link! I love SD Breweries.
    I'm captivated by you baby, like a fireworks show.
    Wooooo! Please don't bash me too hard, but I just discovered BevMo! for the first time evurr. It was like I died and dun gone to heaven. It felt like I was in an Office Depot, but instead of office supplies, there was booze and drinking supplies. Back to school shopping is fun now. :rofl:

I bought:
    - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (4-pack)
    - Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    - Paulaner Salvator Double Bock
    - Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier

I took some pics of the bottles. You can view them at my blog.

I can't wait to try them!
  • shadowcharlieshadowcharlie ★ஜ۩dip۞set۩ஜ★ Joined: Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    .........which one?
    Wooooo!
    I bought:
    - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (4-pack)
    - Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    - Paulaner Salvator Double Bock
    - Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier
    if u like russian imperials u have got to try dark lord Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub - Munster, IN - BeerAdvocate and black albert Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers - Oostvleteren, Belgium - BeerAdvocate
    bust my gun at the sun just to sit in the shade~
    ἐξίσταται γὰρ πάντ' ἀπ' ἀλλήλων δίχα
  • shadowcharlieshadowcharlie ★ஜ۩dip۞set۩ஜ★ Joined: Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    also for those that like IPAs try out
    I hardcore U IPA
    bust my gun at the sun just to sit in the shade~
    ἐξίσταται γὰρ πάντ' ἀπ' ἀλλήλων δίχα
    if u like russian imperials u have got to try dark lord

Fo' sho', but the problem is, from what I hear, that is one rare brew. I can only dream of obtaining such a thing.

Thread revival time. I guess it's time for some mini-scorings of the beers I've tried recently.

Old Rasputin (A-)
    This stuff is amazing. Coming from Guinness, the flavors of this beer hits you like a truck. Now I get to experience these "complex" flavors people are always talking about. From the start, I get this dark, fruity flavor which then transitions into the most roasted, burnt coffee flavor I have ever tasted. A very fine beer, but it's something I'm not going to be drinking too often.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout (B-)
    Well... It's like Guinness, but with a good dose of chocolate. Usually, you find people mentioning "dark chocolate" flavors in beer, but this beer is more on the milk chocolate side. It's sweet. I kinda do enjoy this beer, but it's somewhat of a novelty for me. I would take a Guinness Draught over this beer.

Paulaner Salvator Double Bock (B+)
    This is a good tasting beer. It tastes... like some kind of honey water/nectar thing. Seriously. There was an instance when I took a sip of this beer right after sipping some Old Rasputin, and what resulted was a strong amplification of honey. I've never tasted anything so sweet. It was delicious, though.

Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier (Pass)
    Not going to give this beer a grade, because although I don't like it, it's not a bad beer. It deserves to pass. Not a brew for me, though. From what I understand, this is a filtered wheat beer, which means the banana scent will be more subtle. That banana sweetness is definitely something I love. I guess the suppressing of the banana kinda leaves me with some spice notes as the dominating taste, which I'm not too fond of. What is that spice note, anyway? It's the same kind of taste that Bud Golden Wheat gives. Is it cloves or coriander?

Blue Moon (C+)
    It's a wheat beer and leans toward the citrussy side. Nothing special or noteworthy. Nice and simple. Maybe a good beginner hefe?

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (A+)
    My favorite hefe to date. The banana note is so dominating and delicious. One of the few beers that I have trouble drinking slow and savoring. This stuff goes down fast and smooth.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen (A+)
    * NOTE: I had this on tap.
    Okay, I know I said the Franziskaner was my favorite hefe, but I'm actually still debating it and considering this beer instead. Imagine this as the lemony/citrussy version of the Franziskaner. So, instead of being dominantly banana-ey, its citrussy. I was at the pub today and I finished this beer before the appetizers even came.

Guinness Stout (B-)
    After trying Old Rasputin, Guinness just seems like a very simple, coffee-flavored water thing. I still like it. For me, it's a wonderful beer in a minimalistic sort of way.

Bonus Review:

Irish Car Bomb (A)
    * NOTE: I had this at a pub and the Guinness was from tap.

I tried this for the first time tonight. I was a bit intimidated because first of all, I've never chugged anything before, and secondly, I see people failing the chug on YouTube. Damn, it must be pretty harsh going down, right? Nope. I downed it in 4 seconds. I loved it so much, I got a second one and downed it in 3 seconds. It seemed pretty easy and I definitely want to practice and get it down faster. Why? It's a FUN drink. Dropping the shot into the beer was fun and the time-attack just made it even better.

The concoction itself tasted pretty damn good. Bailey's Irish Cream was the dominant flavor, and I guess when mixed with the beer, it becomes like an Irish creme-flavored milk with a tiny hint of coffee. You don't taste any alcohol at all; not even from the whiskey. I'm baffled by the people who fail at drinking this. It's tasty and goes down so easy. You can mistake this for a kiddy drink.

In the end, I looked at the bill and wtf'd when I saw that the drink was $10 a piece. Don't these normally go for $6? Screw that. I'm going to start making these at home.

At the pub tonight, I had the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis first. Then I ate a small appetizer of cheesy, bacony potatoes and lamb sliders. After that was when I had two consecutive Irish Car Bombs. It resulted in tipsiness. Very fun.

----

Well, I guess that's all I got for now. I'll spam this thread some more in a week. Gonna get more beer. I'm gonna definitely get a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which is the top-ranked wheat beer at Beer Advocate. I'm also gonna try some Sierra Nevada Celebration.
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,639
    People can't down Irish Car Bombs because they are bitches.
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Curieux: Ale aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels. (A)
    11% alcohol, corked.
    Yummy. May 2010.
    Not sure if you guys can see this picture of it:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=760563946658&set=a.760563856838.2364523.6702824
    Pink Elephants!
    Blue Moon (C+)
    It's a wheat beer and leans toward the citrussy side. Nothing special or noteworthy. Nice and simple. Maybe a good beginner hefe?

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (A+)
    My favorite hefe to date. The banana note is so dominating and delicious. One of the few beers that I have trouble drinking slow and savoring. This stuff goes down fast and smooth.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen (A+)
    Okay, I know I said the Franziskaner was my favorite hefe, but I'm actually still debating it and considering this beer instead. Imagine this as the lemony/citrussy version of the Franziskaner. So, instead of being dominantly banana-ey, its citrussy. I was at the pub today and I finished this beer before the appetizers even came.
    Never heard of Sierra Nevada's hefeweizen. I will look out for it at the store.

You know what's weird, I don't taste the banana at all in Franki piss water (that's what my friend calls it), and I hate bananas. I've had other beers with a banana flavor and I dislike them thoroughly, but I love Franki piss water.

While blue moon is good, in Eureka California they make Great White which is similar, but in all ways better, according to my taste buds.
    Bonus Review:

Irish Car Bomb (A)
    TOP TIER! A++++! Not for tasting, it's for getting drunk, FAST. And in fact it doesn't taste bad when downed in one go.
  • shin neferioshin neferio BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 812
    blue moon and sessions beer ftw.
    5th King of Tetris
    Christmas Time means Christmas beers!

So far...
    Anchor Christmas Ale 2010 (comes in a magnum bottle)
    Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper (an amazing imperial stout)
    Corsendonk Christmas
    Dupont Avec Les Bon... something. It has a super long french name. It's a tasty Saison.
    St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
  • jonny419jonny419 Joined: Posts: 74

Tremens I hope, best by far
    wiki wrote:
    Delirium tremens (also referred to as The D.T.'s) is an acute episode of delirium that is usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol, first described in 1813.

:lovin:

Also, someone metioned Session beers, I just found that myself and was really pleasantly surprised. Is the Sessions Black any good?
    Beyond Gaming - Don't Just Play, Play For $omething! http://www.beyondgaming.net/
  • iShottoiShotto COME AT ME BRO Joined: Posts: 2,077
    i always associate Irish Car Bombs to chocolate milk in flavor.

Guiness is (imo) the dark beer meant for drinking all night where as a lot of the others i find over powering after 2-3 12 oz bottles.

I like the Old Rasputin though, that shit was amazing.
    Say hello to your mother for me.
  • IrennicusIrennicus Joined: Posts: 1,429
    If I was going to buy a Sessions I'd just save the money and buy a budweiser.
    "I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." - Terry Pratchett
  • the_king_of_tacosthe_king_of_tacos Joined: Posts: 31
    i gota love where i live, there is good beer all around
    here in my town there is a nice little brewery that produces some good shit, the rouge brewery is an hr to the north and deschutes is still within a days drive
    PSN: Magyver_WSA
    the rouge brewery is an hr to the north and deschutes is still within a days drive

Damn. So lucky. :looney:
    I like the Old Rasputin though, that shit was amazing.

It's a great dessert beer. Drink it for dessert, or drink it with a dessert like chocolate cake or brownies.
    You know what's weird, I don't taste the banana at all in Franki piss water (that's what my friend calls it), and I hate bananas. I've had other beers with a banana flavor and I dislike them thoroughly, but I love Franki piss water.

Everyone's smelling and tasting receptors are different, I suppose. If you read beer reviews, you'll notice everyone picks up different aromas and notes. Sometimes it's just hard to identify something precisely. The sweetness/maltiness for me resembles most to bananas, but someone else might say it's more like bready malt or apples.
    TOP TIER! A++++! Not for tasting, it's for getting drunk, FAST. And in fact it doesn't taste bad when downed in one go.

When you put it that way, I should probably change my rating to a perfect score. I didn't give it that plus because I thought it would be more of a challenge, but I must admit that it's probably my favoritest bar drink ever now.
    Tried two more beers tonight.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (A-)
    - A nice, mild balance of banana and cloves. I'm not at all a fan of the clove flavor, but it blends in so well that even I can enjoy it. Refreshing and drinkable. I still like the Franziskaner and Sierra Nevada wheat beers way better, since they focus on the fruit tastes and for the most part omits the cloves.

Sierra Nevada Celebration (A)
    - I'm not an IPA guy, but I loved this brew. I finished one earlier and I'm now craving more. Good thing I bought a 6-pack. I'm still developing my palette and can't seem to identify what the flavors are in this beer. From reviews I read, many call out "pine", but I have no clue what pine smells or tastes like. Is this pine I'm tasting? I don't know, but it's very nice. Finishes with what tasted like bready malt.
  • TheEvilChinaManTheEvilChinaMan I think english! Joined: Posts: 1,160
    I love IPAs. For some reason to me a beer should taste like an IPA, full of hops with a strong taste.

I'm pretty sure most have hit on this, but the Top Favs of IPAs (at least my list in no particular order):

-Stone Pale Ale, IPA, Ruination IPA
    -Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA, IPA
    -Sam Adams Pale Ale
    -Mirror Pond (Deschutes) IPA

Other non-IPA/Pale Ales that are worth drinking:

-New Belgium Fat Tire, Tripple Ale
    -Hoegaarden (if you love Blue Moon, try this instead)
    -Stone Arrogant Bastard (around an 8% alcohol beer)
    -Sam Adams Boston Lager
    -Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale
    -Dos Equis Lager (if you have to be cheap but don't want water, get this)

Only time you should be drinking shit beer (Coors' Light, BEAST, Pabst, etc) should either be before a sporting event or drinking games. It is only a dis-service to yourself to not try quality beer. If you happen to live in California or Colorado, craft beer should be the only thing you drink.
  • g3nshir0_g3nshir0_ Joined: Posts: 371
    I'm no beer aficionado so I simply just take a 40 oz. of Steel Reserve(not so much anymore because it tastes like ass but the punk rock hobo in me rears its head sometimes) or Budweiser. I don't have money to buy all the fancy beers and I don't think I would even want to unless it was for a certain occasion. There isn't much to celebrate, and when there is, I'm usually drinking liquor.
    We're the patron saints of doing absolutely nothing.
    Most supermarkets/liquor stores sell a 32oz Stella Artois/Stone(in CA)/Blue Moon for about the same price as any malt liquor. Though if you are just trying to get drunk for the sake of getting drunk, the spirits is what you should be looking at.

Has anyone tried crafting their own brew? I want to try, but I hear that the cleaning is more of a bitch than the actual brewing process.
  • g3nshir0_g3nshir0_ Joined: Posts: 371
    It's just that I'm a little guy so most people are shocked when they find out I can drink so much. I usually don't drink at all, so I tend to grab a 40 to unwind and pour a little on the curb for the people in my life incarcerated/dead.

I don't drink to get drunk because it's almost impossible unless I'm pouring shot after shot down and I usually don't have that luxury.
    We're the patron saints of doing absolutely nothing.
  • NegroNinjaNegroNinja N-Word Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,620
    that Sam Adams winter ale actually isn't too bad, had about 6 pints tonight, couldn't get enough.
    AKA Hellpockets/Hotpockets/HaxMurderer/Darth Sharpton
    Ayinger Celebrator (C+)
    - Nice, sweet roasted malt taste. A little carbonated. Medium body. Easily drinkable. Despite it's decent taste, I think it's a bit boring to drink.

Anchor Steam Beer (B-)
    - Has that pungent/earthy citrus hops, grapefruit rind scent. Tastes malty. Easily drinkable. Pretty decent.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B-)
    - Also pungent/earthy citrus hop, grapefruit rind scent. Tastes like a mild version of the Celebration. Hardly to no bitterness at all, despite being a Pale Ale.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA (A-)
    - The perfect balance between the Pale Ale and Celebration. Has a bit of bitterness and fresher hop taste. Smells less pungent/earthy than the Pale Ale.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (A)
    - The Celebration is certainly the best of all three. Hardly or no pungent/earthy smell. The aroma from the wet hopping smells so nice. Best flavor and aroma of the three, also. Very floral/fruity and super fresh. The most bitter, but I love it despite that, which is surprising because I'm not a fan of bitter beers. This would be my session beer of choice, but since it's seasonal, Torpedo will take the slot.

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 (D)
    - I'm getting strong water notes and extremely light beer notes. Very carbonated. I guess it's pretty decent if you need a water substitute.

Miller Lite (D-)
    - Same as above, but I get some stanky notes in this one.

Currently in stock to be reviewed:
    - Ridgeway Lump of Coal Dark Holiday Stout (seasonal)
    - Lagunitas A Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale (seasonal)
  • 3b1r4h3b1r4h omgz liek woahhhhhhh Joined: Posts: 499
    ok guys i'm a beer expert, but i'm not gonna post paragraphs about beer in here. i just want to mention that all these reviews of german wheat beers that talk about cloves and bananas are crazy. PURITY LAW there is ONLY 4 ingredients. ALL of those flavors come from the water, malts, hops, or yeast that they use. the germans are VERY good at interpreting different flavors with their choice of what and yeast but NONE of those beers have more than the 4 ingredients i just listed.

the BELGIAN wheat beers however generally contain coriander and orange or grapefuit peel.

i also wanted to post in this thread to cry about how i got drunk last night and split up my 6 pack of 2007 avery mephistopheles.

oh well.
    Don't be scared, just be prepared for the worst. - JMT
    Av by The LUC
    -Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Infinites.-
  • iShottoiShotto COME AT ME BRO Joined: Posts: 2,077
    ok guys i'm a beer expert, but i'm not gonna post paragraphs about beer in here. i just want to mention that all these reviews of german wheat beers that talk about cloves and bananas are crazy. PURITY LAW there is ONLY 4 ingredients. ALL of those flavors come from the water, malts, hops, or yeast that they use. the germans are VERY good at interpreting different flavors with their choice of what and yeast but NONE of those beers have more than the 4 ingredients i just listed.

the BELGIAN wheat beers however generally contain coriander and orange or grapefuit peel.

i also wanted to post in this thread to cry about how i got drunk last night and split up my 6 pack of 2007 avery mephistopheles.

oh well.

well i figured that was a given....It's like when you review rum or cheese or wine, there maybe flavor notes that hint at cherry or nuts with out actually containing them...simple concept really.
    Say hello to your mother for me.
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,579
    subscribe to thread.

recommend someone (me) that never drinks a good ale.

i like newcastle, if that tells you anything.
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.
  • NIKO:ONENIKO:ONE Joined: Posts: 918
    I've went back to drinking a 40 of old english and a tall can of old e with a couple bong hits almost every night now.
    So what if you post on Shoryuken.com, I just threw you three times in a row.
  • VangardBVangardB Joined: Posts: 367
    Drinking my first Arrogant Bastard Ale! I'm liking it alot! I.P.A.s weren't really my thing but i love them now
  • NegroNinjaNegroNinja N-Word Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,620
    Drinking my first Arrogant Bastard Ale! I'm liking it alot! I.P.A.s weren't really my thing but i love them now

I think that stuff actually does turn you into an arrogant bastard...never seen a night where anyone drinking that didn't end up in an argument.
    AKA Hellpockets/Hotpockets/HaxMurderer/Darth Sharpton
    I think that stuff actually does turn you into an arrogant bastard...never seen a night where anyone drinking that didn't end up in an argument.

You should thank its almost 8% alcohol by volume content. Most beers hover around the 4-5% marker. Drinking 6 ABs is like drinking a 12 pack.

I love it though. I think it is a great dinner beer. Drink one of those with a burger and get a buzz going off one drink.