I just want to talk about ST and nothing new is posted.. and the 08/15/ ? of the day.

Comments

• fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    Oh, BTW, that Dhalsim trick on the SBO DVD wasn't done against a Honda (although Hakase did play Kusumondo earlier); it was against Tsuji's boxer.

Yeah your right! My bad!
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    * Do you ever think your a little too "old" to be playing ST?
    i'm only 18, so nope!

I would've never guessed you were only 18 lol
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Do you ever think your a little too "old" to be playing ST?
    At 28, I'm pretty geriatric by fighting-game standards, but nah, I don't think anyone's ever too old to play ST. Although it gets a little weird when you try to explain to someone what your hobbies are...

What is your mentality when picking lower tiers?
    I think about how badly I'm going to lose, because I can't control most of them worth beans.

Do you enjoy the technical difficulty of ST when executing moves/ combos?
    Enjoyment of ST comes in spite of my lousy execution, not because of it. I laugh when I win with DeeJay, because I think to myself, "Were my 1-hit combos too much for you, mon?!"

Who is your favorite character and why?
    I love all characters. Guile is one of my favorites, because he gets to throw tons of projectiles, isn't very combo- or execution-dependent to play at a basic level, and has a strategic playstyle.

Ryu, on the other hand, feels completely different. With Ryu, it always feels like I'm playing poker -- is this a good time to throw a fireball? While there's some luck involved in the short-term (your opponent can always make a lucky guess on a jump-in), the good players show the best judgement in the long-term.

Do you love to see low teirs win as much as I do?
    It's interesting, but I probably don't think it's as big a deal as other people, in part because I don't think the tiers are as exaggerated in the first place as most others seem to think.

What is the favorite color of your character and why?
    If I can, I always pick purple. You know, like a raisin? Or I pick the closest thing to purple, like Chun Li's or Claw's pink colors.

I don't get these people who play a character but don't have a color preference and just hit any old button, getting a random color each time. Freaks! :wink:

Do you even have a favorite color for a character?
    No, but I like to give them all nicknames. Minty Chun! Robin Hood Ryu! Banana Gief! Skeleton Dhalsim! Barbeque Fei!

Which boss character was/is your favorite.
    Sagat, because he GOT no muscles. Dhalsim doesn't SEEM to have any muscles either though.

Do you really use the advanced methods as much as you should: piano-ing, push release, etc?
    Actually, I piano every time I throw a Sonic Boom, Max Out, or Kikoken. :wonder:

How do you size up an oppent b4 you play them?
    I take a sideways gander at them with one of my beady, little eyes. Seriously, I don't take the game seriously enough to worry about that sort of thing.
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    I can't control most of them worth BEANS

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously Raisin, you need to quit with the modesty. Everyone knows your a BEAST at ST.
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    Would you consider you self addicted to playing SF/ST?

I can't stop...I wish I could spend a few years in Japan to get better.

I play whoever I like regardless of Tier, it just so happens that my main in ST is top tier, but in other games I play medium/low/high tiers:

Garou: Main characters are Rock (low) and Freeman (Garbage tier)
    SFA3: V-Cody (Mid?)
    KOF 2k2: Ramon (Mid...?), Kula (TOP) Vice (TOP) Kusanagi (Okayish) Andy (Mid)
    Virtua Fighter 5: El Blaze (Not really tiers in this game, but he ain't top...)
    Fatal Fury Special: Laurence Blood (No tiers in this game, but he ain't top), Andy, Krauser, Geese.
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,292
    I can't stop...I wish I could spend a few years in Japan to get better.

Become a vagabond like Ryu. Just roam the earth in search of arcades and fight for tokens :rofl:
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Question of the Day updated.....
    4/14/08 Question?

What is the first action you (typically) take against the following characters (see below) with your favorite/main character at the start of a match? Why?

• Honda:
    • Blanka:

(The other characters will be on other days)
    ===================================

Seems like you can answer all of these Question of the Day things with "It depends" (on which character you're using)

But I'll play along.

Ryu: Mix up between: wait and block; standing jab; walk backward.
    Cammy: Pray I dont die
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
  • ExarkunExarkun MrGameAndWatch Joined: Posts: 271
    4/14/08 Question?

What is the first action you (typically) take against the following characters (see below) with your favorite/main character at the start of a match? Why?

• Honda:
    • Blanka:

===================================

Seems like you can answer all of these Question of the Day things with "It depends" (on which character you're using)

But I'll play along.

Ryu: Mix up between: wait and block; standing jab; walk backward.
    Cammy: Pray I dont die

I usually throw out Jabs or Shorts to avoid those roll in attacks, never any anti air because you know.
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod

• Honda:
    • Blanka:

My main is Sim.

Honda: Close ducking jab followed by jump back.

The jab stops his torpedo or hands and jumping back usually gives me enough time to HP him out of the sumo smash if he goes for that. Sometimes I skip the jab and just immediately jump tho. It's not as good, but feels a little less risky.

Blanka:
    Close ducking jab, then block.

Again, jab stops his roll. But Blanka seems to have more variety of starting options than honda(electricity, hop forward, slide, etc). So, I just try to watch what he does and follow up accordingly. Occasionally I'll start by just jumping back, which is usually followed by HP/HK(if he takes to the air) or MK/HK drill if he stays grounded.

PS: Fatboy, you should play along with answers to your own questions!
  • VegaVega Joined: Posts: 917
    I play Vega.

Vs. Honda I... jump backwards with fierce punch.
    Vs. Blanka I... jump backwards with fierce punch.

That's my answer for about 12 of the characters on this game. True story. :smile:
    7 and a switchblade.
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
    I play Vega.

Vs. Honda I... jump backwards with fierce punch.
    Vs. Blanka I... jump backwards with fierce punch.

That's my answer for about 12 of the characters on this game. True story. :smile:

lol isnt that the truth!
    PS: Fatboy, you should play along with answers to your own questions!

I bet hes just doing surveys to find out what his Sim/Blanka should anticipate :lol:

New Q post 04/15/08
    Simple preference question:

-Ryu or Guile?

-Why?

If its ST, then Ryu. He's more versatile and balanced. He can adapt to just about anything. He has the DP, which punishes any jump in (although it was nerfed in ST). He has an overhead, j.mp juggle, a super that passes thru fireballs, deadly fireball trap games, rushing punch. The man is truly a worthy fighter.

Relative to Ryu, ST Guile is fun to play as, but the fact he has no standing roundhouse really diminishes the fun factor for me. Yea I can do c.Fierce/j.Fierce, but it just isnt the same. Well ok, its still somewhat fun, but what it boils down to is that I'm not that great with charge characters, nor am I familiar with Guile at time of this post. So, Ryu bc I know more about Ryu than Guile.

- If SF was real, and a group of fighters fought against an evil tyrant with psycho energy, which of these two fighters would you really want to save the world?

Be careful here, please consider all geo-political consequences that an indivual could bring to political landscape when ruling an evil underground empire . Remeber, Ryu is the wanderer who wants for nothing of tangible wealth, or Guile the rogue military Special Forces commander so hell bent on revenge he leaves his wife and child behind to pursue it.

What difference does it make? Both want Dictator gone, and neither are really that interested in politics, so aside from one of the two toppling an evil organization, as long as one of them did it, the world is better off for it.

• skankin garbageskankin garbage ARE YOU OKAY!? Joined: Posts: 961
    B]4/14/08 Question?

• Honda:
    • Blanka:

My main is Chun...I have two things that I 'typically' do vs Self-Projectile characters (Honda, Blanka, Cammy, Bison, etc.):

1. Walk back. Safest option vs. Headbutts/Blanka Ball etc. If Honda/Blanka starts the round off with a jumping attack, you can make them land on a Jab Fireball, since you were holding back at the start of the round.

2. Immediate Fierce Fireball. If Honda/Blanka tries to kick off the round with Headbutt/Blanka Ball, you've already got the advantage. This is also handy for if they try pretty much anything except for jump, so if they throw out any attack, or hesistate at all, they'll get hit by/have to block the fireball. I do this a lot less against Honda, because his flying butt pliers move can close the distance safely.
    http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ - My own personal insights about games; totally inspired by David Sirlin and James Chen.

"Jesus would be MAD if he had to fight Ivan Ooze."
    "*I'd* be mad if Jesus had to fight Ivan Ooze.
  • wolf_1wolf_1 Joined: Posts: 169
    -Ryu or Guile?
    don't know exactly what this question is asking but I used to play nothing but Ryu but now my new fav is Guile (GWILL!!!!).

-Why?

- If SF was real, and a group of fighters fought against an evil tyrant with psycho energy, which of these two fighters would you really want to save the world?

Neither because I don't like Charlie Nash.
    -I used to play nothing but Ryu but now my new fav is Guile (GWILL!!!!).
    Wait, so you stopped playing Ryu because the you couldn't rock the special hairstyle like that guy in the video? That's the Wandering Warrior hair, man. You can't bag on that.

Honda's voice in the last couple seconds of that video is priceless, too. Next time I play you with Honda, I'm gonna do crappy imitations of that (interrupted) line all day long. :tup: What I lack in speed on the ground...

If I remember correctly, from that same video, there was a Zangief section where he sounded exactly like Count Dracula.
    i'm only 18
    Weird, color me surprised too. I got thrown off the scent because you play the GoldKen with such maturity.

-Why?

That shit is great!
    Asian mullet!? wtf...

Yet even that cant keep me from playing as Ryu

Here's a better clip from that video... (although that crossup DP was pretty damn deadly)

Simply can't be stressed enough...

new questions posted
    -Ryu or Guile?

-Why?

Ryu. I've never really cared for Guile much. I think part of it was that back in WW you couldn't pick the same characters and one of my friends always picked Guile, so I never did. But mostly I just don't like sitting in defensive crouch that much.

Do you counter pick?

Rarely. In casual play, I usually only do it when I'm frustrated and want to pound my opponent for "getting lucky" so many times against me :rofl: In tourneys, sometimes, but I often feel like I'm second guessing myself.
    How do you feel about counter pickers?

They're weak! LOL! Just kidding. I don't really mind counter picks. And in casuals, I actually kind of like it when they counter pick because it gives me a chance to get better at a tough match-up.

I don't usually jockey around the select screen much. I go right to the character I want to play and pick them and let my opponent pick whoever he wants. It's kind of fun to watch them figure out who they should use :wgrin:
    Who is you least favorite character to play against with your favorite character?

I play Sim.

My least favorite match-up is probably Honda. I've played this match a ton and I still get scared. He feels like a more mobile version of Gief/Hawk and he has more options if he gets you cornered. I know what to do, but it feels like one or two screw-ups can cost me the round.

Runners-up are Chun and Claw for bein' dirty sluts :rofl:
    Do you counter pick?

No. I cant get better if I do

They give me an avenue to improve myself. Thanks!

Who is you least favorite character to play against with your favorite character?

Again I dont really have a favorite, but I will say that Cammy vs Guile is freaking ridiculous. I mean come on... he can literally sit in crouching down-back position all day and there really isnt much she can do about it.

New question 04/17/08
  • wolf_1wolf_1 Joined: Posts: 169
    fatboy check your pm..... im craving for some offline casuals since my inet is down.
    Who do you fear more:

A good T.Hawk or a good Zangief?

Why?

Depends who I'm playing really, as well who I am playing as. Fear the player, not the character.

Which of these two characters do you feel is better?

Gief. Hawk can get pretty predictable. His entire game seems to rest on j.jab-> 360, repeat. Then again I could make a similar argument for Gief, but Gief is just way more fun period. Something about SPD's and FAB's is just more appealing than Hawk's knockoff of it. Also, I dont really know Hawk at all, so I couldnt really make an acurate comment, just an opinion. Maybe someone should make a Hawk tutorial... or better yet, another Gief tutorial (Giga's tutorial was fun to watch, even if it was only against Ryu)

Do you counter pick?
    I might if I didn't find playing some of the matches and characters so unpalatable. I think I tried playing Claw and that lasted about 3 days or something because I don't enjoy playing as evil characters. I'm not convinced I'd do any better in the long run with counter-picking anyway.

It enrages me when my opponent plays in a way that he thinks gives him the best chance to win. :wink:

I'm not sure who my favorite character is right now, but I'm gonna be in the minority and say my least favorite opponent is probably Zangief. Something about the way his matches go isn't as appealing to me as the other characters.

- Rawrrr, I'm'a grab you!
    --- Omg no stay away plz!!

The aesthetics of his matches are also ugly to me. Either he gets close and does that awful-looking piledriver or he gets zoned out and eats punches and kicks like a big lunkhead. Foogly all around. :arazz: :wgrin:
  • krostkrost :9 Joined: Posts: 811
    I would've never guessed you were only 18 lol
    Weird, color me surprised too. I got thrown off the scent because you play the GoldKen with such maturity.

LOL, that's interesting to know!

QOTD:

i fear a good t.hawk more than i do 'gief, mainly because of the j.jab trap. i have not played many really good hawks, but being caught in that trap seems very scary :<.
    FTSS
    RED_KEN
    Who do you fear more: A good T.Hawk or a good Zangief?

T.Hawk.
    Why?

I rarely get to play against T.Hawk, let alone a good T.Hawk, so I really don't have much of a game plan to begin against him. I don't feel at all comfortable about the range of his pokes, and I'm not very familiar with the fake-outs people use to get in with him. And if a good Hawk does get in on me, I'm toast. I'm not very good with the reversal teleport :sad:

In theory, I'd say Hawk. Gief has a little easier time getting in, but he's not quite as scary once he does get in.
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    Do you counter pick?

No, i'm not good enough with all the characters to be a counter picker. Plus it seems the counter to many characters is a Shoto and I don't play Shotos. Plus winning a match-up that is "bad" for your character is more satisfying!

I respect someone more if they stick with their character despite the match-up than if they just pick the counter to whoever I pick. But really it's not a big deal.

Who is your least favorite character to play against with your favorite character?

I play mainly Honda so my least favorite is another Honda. Honda v. Honda is the worst mirror match of all time! No other match is more painfull to play or watch, LOL.
    GGPO name : madpossum
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Who do you fear more:

A good T.Hawk or a good Zangief?

probably a good t hawk.
    Why?
    cuz he has a dp.

t. hawk because gief gets assraped by a lot of characters. fei, chun, sim, honda, claw in particular. also t. hawk has a dp. ume dp is really intimidating. in fact, its almost necessary against sim for ryu. so this should apply to t. hawk too.

and t hawk can get right next to you after one command throw and go for another tick.
    04/16/08 Questions ?

3 Questions today?

Do you counter pick?

at times, yes.

they can counter pick all they want but its not gonna do a damn thing if they dont know the character they are using.

i use vega and prolly ryu or blanka is my least favorite. both matches are in vega's favor but they can fuck you up quick if you get too predictable and/or defensive.

4/15/08 Question ?

Simple preference question:

-Ryu or Guile?

-Why?

Be careful here, please consider all geo-political consequences that an indivual could bring to political landscape when ruling an evil underground empire . Remeber, Ryu is the wanderer who wants for nothing of tangible wealth, or Guile the rogue military Special Forces commander so hell bent on revenge he leaves his wife and child behind to pursue it?.

gameplay wise, guile. storyline wise, still guile.

I hate using shotos period. their normals are subpar to average at best compared to other characters. aside from their fireballs, they have the weakest reach in the game. (okay, maybe fei long's reach is almost as bad, but at least they are high priority) Ryu doesnt excell at anything either. his fireball is just average. its fat but not as fat as chuns. recovery is not as good as guile or sagats. speed is not as good as sagats either and the startup is not as fast as chuns. its just average. his dp is also just average. there are better dps that either has more range, does more damage or more invincibility.

walk up, wakeup, whiff move and back to back dragon punch is the most ridiculous thing in a fighting game. it just seems so.............random. maybe i'm played cvs2 for too long the risk reward factor isn't even worth it most of the time. you get it blocked, you are left flailing in the air while the opponent busts their biggest combo on you.

guile has some pretty good traps/followups after the sonic boom and he has a better normals than ryu. (c.mk, backfist, sobats).

i just simply dont like ryus gameplay. hes the jack of all trades, master of none. if i want to fireball someone to death, i'll use sagat. if i want to rush someone down, i'll use balrog, fei, etc.

even storyline wise, guile makes more sense. i dont think ryu really cares about overthrowing bison and becoming a hero. he just wants to fight, thats it.

B]4/14/08 Question?[/B]

• Honda:
    • Blanka:

Honda: hold downback and block. if he tries to headbutt, i flip kick. if he does nothing, i poke him and try to go for a wall dive.

Blanka: jump back hp/hk.
    04/11/08 Question?
    Next question will be 4/14/08

Situation (2)

You are in a Shoto fireball war.

You are in "that" perfect distance away from each other to be throwing the fireballs: Generally safe from jump-ins, yet if the person guesses right he can nail you with that one jump-in RH right on your face and land safe. BUt if the jump late you get a free SRK.

You both have the same amount of life.

There are three ticks left on the timer.

No one has a super meter.

You just both threw 3 fire balls in a row.

You know that the other person is beginning to have the same thoughts as you: Another fireball *may* be coming. How do I turn that into a win?

You know if you wait and see what he does, there is a high % chance you'll take some block damage (and lose the match) if he throws a Fierce FB or if you wait for the fireball and jump over he'll AA you.

If you guess wrong and try an early jump or he baits you, you get AA'd and lose.

You feel your opponent is ever slightly better than you. You really want to press for a win b/c you may need next two rounds to over come him for the set. A draw-game in not a option.

What do you do?

break the perfect distance and try to find an opening to land some hits in?

i'm not really too sure what i'll do since i dont like using shotos.

ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • BlueMary69BlueMary69 If I Drown let me Sink Joined: Posts: 749
    1. I Fear A good T-hawk For sure that elbow stuffs the crap out of my chun im soo scared of hawk lol and hes dp makes him way scaries then gief.

2. I think gief is better because he has so many set ups for hes 360 spin where as hawk itsharder sometimes to get close against a fireball opponent.
    New ? up 04/21/08
    Crap. Off the top of my head huh...

Today?s questions are more like a little test. See how many you can get right. Please do not use YBH or any other Frame/damage faq to give you your answers. Try go from game play experience or memory... (Exclude. O.sagat and Akuma from your answers) I myself did not get them all right....

1) Whose fireball does the most damage? Ryu

2) Whose fireball comes out the fastest? Ryu

3) Whose fireball has the fastest recovery? Ryu

4) Whose fireball will always knock down? Sim

5) Who has the strongest non-special throw (does not include grabs: i.e. noogie, head butt, and etc)? wtf? ... I dunno....Gief?

Scores will be curved.... :wink:

EDIT: Didnt see O. Sagat and Akuma were to be excluded

1) Whose fireball does the most damage?
    Don't know. DeeJay's Max?

2) Whose fireball comes out the fastest?
    Chun Li (6 frames), followed by DeeJay (8 frames) and then Guile (10 frames).
    I remember studying a lot of the frame data on fireballs 'cause I was curious.

3) Whose fireball has the fastest recovery?
    Guile (20 frames).

4) Whose fireball will always knock down?
    Dhalsim's MP or HP fireball?

5) Who has the strongest non-special throw (does not include grabs: i.e. noogie, head butt, and etc)?
    On the ground? Chun Li's MP throw.
    In the air? Guile's kick throws. Is Cammy's punch airthrow tied with that? I know that does a ton too.

Edit: Y'know what's funny is Chun's MP ground throw of doom combined with the "can't tech a throw if it would've KO'd you" rule. Those 2 combined are a killer. My friend plays Chun Li, and I don't know how many times I've been well ahead in health and then gotten chucked with a giant knockout throw and been like NOOOOO!

Your char goes flying 100 feet up in the air as if you teched the throw even though you didn't, but the character's body is like limp in mid-air because you got knocked out, so it looks funny. :lol:
    I've got a feeling I'm gonna fail miserably on this :wgrin:

Ryu's red fireball?

DeeJay

Guile

Ken (I know Sim's MP and HP do, but his LP doesn't)
    5) Who has the strongest non-special throw (does not include grabs: i.e. noogie, head butt, and etc)?

Chun Li

EDIT: Answers changed to include non-shotos. I still think I'm gonna fail hard though :wgrin:

EDIT: For some reason reason, I thought all the fireball Q's were only about shotos. Of course Guile's recovers faster and such. Hehe...oh well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ No worries. Change your answers to inclued the whole cast! :wgrin:
    New 04/22/08 ? is up!!
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    Let's see here...

Shinkuu Hadouken :woot: Not including that? Then yeah, I'd have to say Ryu's red hadouken

Dee Jay's max-out?

Guile's sonic boom, possibly tied with yoga fire?

Yeah, there's the non-jab yoga fire and um.. I wanna say Chun, but that's probably not true. Or hell, I dunno. New Sagat?

Crap, man.. I'm assuming this is out of the entire cast (excluding Gouki and O. Sagat and airthrows) so I'm gonna guess Zangief's mk throw. Out of the fireball characters? Maybe Chun? (Man, I really hope not)
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
    What were your thoughts the VERY first time you saw SF2 and the cast of 8 it presented?

It was love at first sight. Our local arcade had been starting to get kind of stale. I went there one day and was in the middle of trying to get through Strider on one token when one of my friends came up to me and said "Dude! You gotta check out this new game! There's a crowd forming around it!". So I went over to the machine with him and was blown away.

I had loved playing Karate Champ back in the day, but this was like Karate Champ on steroids. And it wasn't just the red guy vs the white guy, although it had that too :rofl: There were multiple characters! That did different things! It was crazy! When I finally got a chance to play, I picked Honda and found out very quickly that mashing on the punch buttons would get you these crazy slaps. I beat quite a few people that day with this "strategy". It was so much fun!

From that day forward, I started to spend a lot more time at the arcade again. Ahhh memories...

PS: Fatboy, when are you gonna join in on answering these Q's?
  • SupernautSupernaut Joined: Posts: 9

Ryu and his HCF projectile.

If you interpret "coming out the fastest" as being the startup time, I'd say Chun. Otherwise it's Deejay if we're talking about projectile speed.

Guile

Sim's strong and fierce fireballs.

Chun and her bugged Strong-version throw.