Video up! How to turn brawl into a TRADITIONAL FIGHTER! Alternate mode of play.

Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently InconsistentJoined: Posts: 4,304
So me and my friend had an idea with Stamina mode today, so we gave it a shot and played a few rounds in our new format and were pleasantly surprised to stumble onto this great new way of playing the game. So without further introduction, let me introduce to you:

HOW TO TURN BRAWL INTO A TRADITIONAL FIGHTING GAME

Version 1:

First you're going to need a custom level. Go to the level editor and pick the largest field size possible. Then, maximize the block size. Starting at the top in the middle, place 5 of the spike rows. Then switch to the square building blocks and place one on each side of the spike blocks, then place 4 more below each of those. Once that's done, fill in the middle with more normal building blocks at the very bottom, you should have room for three.

Basically you want it to be 4 blocks tall by 5 blocks wide, and you'll have a fighting area of 2x3. This is going by the BIGGEST SIZE POSSIBLE ON THE BLOCKS.

Ok now that that's done, go to special brawl and set the match type to stamina. Pick your characters and set their HP to 300. Most standard brawl matches are 3 lives and usually, most lives end around 100%, so 300 HP = 3 lives about. Pick your custom map and when the match starts, you'll be inside the arena ready to fight.

This room is ABOUT the normal dimensions of a standard fighting game screen, it's small enough that the person can't run away all day, but also big enough to give you some room to work with. We were trying to recreate a normal fighting game screen so this should be perfect.

Another thing of note about this mode is that knock back is not increased with damage. Combos are always possible. This makes the game a lot more fun, but this also means that low % infinites will always work here, so in order to make things fair, you must ban certain things. Here's a rule list for "fair play" to keep from breaking the game:

Rules
- No Chain Grab infinites. If you do your initial grab for the chain grab, you may only follow it up with a different grab. For example with dedede, you can only do down throw into up, left, or right throw. For Ice Climbers, you may only do 1 of each throw in a combo, IE: forward throw into down throw into up throw or whatever.
- No laser / jab locking.
- No inescapable attack infinites.
- If the person can DI out of your infinite or tech, it's legal, IE neutral A against a wall with a lot of characters.

Version 2

This version requires NO RULES. The level design is different, as it requires a pit at the end to disrupt chain grabs and laser locks, but, that also adds to the fun of it. I've made 2 versions of the level, one with a spring at the end and one with spikes at the end. I think the spikes make it more intense and rewards corner pressure better, as the springs allow for an easy escape from the corner, but you can still do some fun stuff with the springs.

There is a problem with this version, being that Lucario has an EXTREMELY long chain grab which is virtually an infinite on the heavy characters. This can be counteracted by setting the damage ratio to 1.2, but it also takes away from the combo-ness. It's yet to be decided if 1.2 damage ratio would be the standard format for this.

SCREENSHOTS

Version 1 Map Layout
Version 2 Spike Layout
Version 2 Spring Layout

DOWNLOADS

Maps

I'm not sure which is which, but the 3 stages are the Version 1 level, and the Version 2 levels with spikes and with springs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dcll1rlg19n
http://www.mediafire.com/?ngjpdggzxyx
http://www.mediafire.com/?gmtndyk9lvy

Videos

Replays

Until I get some replays uploaded to youtube, if you'd like to transfer these replay files to your game and watch them, feel free.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtvdxijz13g
http://www.mediafire.com/?mjxnih5gs1m
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmzw10xujmy

So far that's about it. Now go give it a whirl, it's extremely fun and fast paced since combos are always possible, and it really makes smash feel like an actual fighter.

Lemme know what you guys think.
"You know that sinking feeling when Zero hits you?" - MTP

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.

Comments

• ZoogstinZoogstin Joined: Posts: 1,021
    Wow jon. You've really out done yourself. I love the idea. But we still gotta make this somewhat like smash. But I wouldn't mind playing this style as well. This puts a whole other view at who would be good.
  • Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently Inconsistent Joined: Posts: 4,304
    Yeah, like this mode actually makes sonic really good since you don't have to worry about KOs. He's actually good as far as racking up damage goes. I bet it helps a lot of other characters out as well.

MK is still a beast in it though since he does so much damage x_x

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    wow.... just wow...

evo should just drop smash from their roster... you guys dont know how to play the game without gay ass maps, rules, or items. BAN SMASH FROM EVO BEFORE SRK RUINS THE RULESETS!
  • The Mad KingThe Mad King Hyou~ Joined: Posts: 262
    Actually, looks pretty fun. Maybe we could try that out for one of the weeklies for shits and giggles?
    wow.... just wow...

evo should just drop smash from their roster... you guys dont know how to play the game without gay ass maps, rules, or items. BAN SMASH FROM EVO BEFORE SRK RUINS THE RULESETS!

This is for fun you douche bag. Calm down.
    Actually, looks pretty fun. Maybe we could try that out for one of the weeklies for shits and giggles?

I thought about that, but you can't use custom rules or custom maps online x_x

yo guys check this out:

the way I came up with the tag system...simple..Team Battle

Stage: Battlefield,Shadow Mosses,Havenbow,

Rules: Teams...one member from each team stands on the top platform while the other two are on the bottom..both members at the top cannot move until tagged by another team member...to tag you must taunt once...then the one who taunted goes to the top and waits...there is a 30 sec wait after a tag has been made..you have to trust whoever you are facing

Stock or time rules can apply

items: off

what yall think, you should give it a whirl

good idea sam,ill make the stage later

Sounds cool but you might have to trust the other players a bit too much, lol. Maybe you could do that with a custom stage with some platforms REALLY high up and elevators going up to them. And then if the person wants to tag out, they have to actually make it up to the person, giving the other guy a chance to knock them down.

Oh also, I came up with a way to do this without the falling blocks, all you have to do is replace the top row of blocks with the largest possible spike things, instead of falling blocks, because the game won't spawn you on top of spikes. This way, you always spawn right in the middle.

• Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Cool for Lucario.
  • Corner-TrapCorner-Trap Troll Harder Joined: Posts: 2,683
    Fun little idea, but I don't like the banning of techniques you proposed.
    wow.... just wow...

You're a moron.
    Fun little idea, but I don't like the banning of techniques you proposed.

I hear a lot of mixed opinions on that. I've already discussed it a ton though on SWFthough, so tell me what you think after you read all the arguments for and against banning infinites: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167103

• Zero-SR388Zero-SR388 ODIUM Joined: Posts: 111
    wow.... just wow...

Lol, youre hilarious.:lol:

And the whole banning of techniques thing is a great idea, because Falco could just chain grab forever.
    It'd be crazy.
    It would be like playing a pro team of Cable, Magneto, and Psylocke with a team of all servbots in MVC2.
    MvC2: Cable/Magneto/Psylocke
    MvC3: Mag/Fuckin/Neto
    AC: A.B.A.
    Get some match vids up. You should also give this game a name.
  • YerocYeroc Lost in thought Joined: Posts: 7
    Jon you're my hero. Next time I'm up there we're trying this shit out. Speaking of, what're you doing next Thursday?

Edit: What about the IC infinite grabs? They can be done with like 3 different throws, so dependent on your rule interpretation they're perfectly legal.
    Find myself beside a stream of empty thought,
    Like a leaf that's fallen to the ground,
    And carried by the flow of water to my dreams
    Woken only by your sound.
    - Wishbone Ash "Leaf and Stream"
    Jon you're my hero. Next time I'm up there we're trying this shit out. Speaking of, what're you doing next Thursday?

Edit: What about the IC infinite grabs? They can be done with like 3 different throws, so dependent on your rule interpretation they're perfectly legal.

Thursdays are usually the days we do GG / Arcana gatherings here, so I dunno. We could play online sometime though, but I'm totally up for chilling if you're in raleigh on a non-thursday day. Or maybe I could skip out on the gathering. You ever free any other day?

For the IC infinite, I think the rules said "no infinite chain grabs" so that should cover ice climbers infinites, but I'm not sure what a fair way of ruling what they can and can't do would be. How does the IC chain grab work anyway?

Make it so that IC can't do one specific grab more than once. This way, IC would at maximum have a combo consisting of three grabs.
  • jubehjubeh Lord of Death Joined: Posts: 199
    Sounds like a nifty distraction. I think a lot of people on SWF were totally missing the point, with their, "I'd rather play a traditional fighting game," responses. But that's SWF for you.

Has anyone discovered any really broken ass shit, aside from the banned stuff?
    Yeroc and myself were trying to figure out how we could make the map so that the infinites and laser locks are still legal but prevent them from truly being infinites, and we found that putting a small spike pit or a spring at the ends of the level make it impossible to chain grab forever / laser lock into the wall. The spikes make it really fun because you can pressure them into a corner then spike them into the spikes. It's pretty fun actually. I'll post up some vids and map screen shots tomorrow hopefully.

Yeroc and myself were trying to figure out how we could make the map so that the infinites and laser locks are still legal but prevent them from truly being infinites, and we found that putting a small spike pit or a spring at the ends of the level make it impossible to chain grab forever / laser lock into the wall. The spikes make it really fun because you can pressure them into a corner then spike them into the spikes. It's pretty fun actually. I'll post up some vids and map screen shots tomorrow hopefully.

You're a genius. It's like a steel cage match. This mode really should have a name.
    You're a genius. It's like a steel cage match. This mode really should have a name.

I'm terrible at names, any suggestions? >_<

• chopachopa Joined: Posts: 932
    Brawl Fighter 2 X turbo hyper champion edition?
    Bleach DS2nd FC: 1547 1407 9810
    JUS FC: 1890 7151 3409
    Pokeymanz: 0301 6273 4857
    If you want a game in the above AIM/PM me
  • OromanOroman .... Joined: Posts: 584

Super Smash Brothers 3 Third Strike

Brawl for the future :rock:
  • JoeMastersJoeMasters Awaken ! Joined: Posts: 452
    wow.... just wow...

go back to smashboards cock sucker.
  • jubehjubeh Lord of Death Joined: Posts: 199

+1

Cept add Super Smash Brawlers to the front of it. And stick a dash somewhere.
    lol Brawl as a real fighting game....sorry it it was Melee then yeah but not this game.
    Brawl Fighter 2 X turbo hyper champion reload slash accent cleft overture stamina battle coliseum HD perfect edition?

Fixed.

Or.....BF2XTHCRSACOSBCHDPE.

Pretty catchy acronym if I do say so myself.

• residentwaterfowlresidentwaterfowl a.k.a Duck Joined: Posts: 106
    I actually have made a few arenas for Stamina Mode only. I made one by just making a huge U out of blocks with spikes on the two tops. Made for fun times.

I made another one with edges so you can still be KOed. However, the lack of knockback in Stamina mode makes KOing nearly impossible except for a select few characters.

Platforms makes stuff pretty fun, too. I might make a whole series of Stamina arenas so it doesn't get stale. It's still Smash after all.
    STHDR: Blanka/Honda
    CvS2: C-Blanka/Dictator/Honda R2
    SSFIV: Blanka/Chun-Li
    GGXXAC: May
    I suck at fighting games :|
  • mashermasher Chun's booty itches Joined: Posts: 348
    LEts gets some vids so this in action...
    Oct 17 2007 mark yo calender
    SF4 is coming!!!

http://www.360elite4free.com/index.php?ref=4173787
    paying $15 for your referral
  • ShintoShinto Mr. Solo Dolo Joined: Posts: 1,585
    LEts gets some vids so this in action...

Agreed.
    East Coast.
    Nyc_Shinto = Psn
    Major update to the first page. Downloads, Screens, Videos, and a new mode.

My SWF version is so much prettier x_x http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167103

• omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    wonder how much the tier lists change in this
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SAMURAI what are you thinking posting that on SWF? You know they are a bunch of simple minded fucks. People were already criticizing you on the first page.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SAMURAI what are you thinking posting that on SWF? You know they are a bunch of simple minded fucks. People were already criticizing you on the first page.

I figured there might be SOME open minded people on there willing to give it a shot. I found about 1.

Everyone else is all "IF I WANNA PLAY A TRADITIONAL FIGHTER I'LL PLAY GG, ALSO YOU SHOULD ALLOW INFINITES BECAUSE THEY TAKE SKILL."

Sigh. I even changed the thread title trying to avoid throwing sand into their vaginas.

I figured there might be SOME open minded people on there willing to give it a shot. I found about 1.

Everyone else is all "IF I WANNA PLAY A TRADITIONAL FIGHTER I'LL PLAY GG, ALSO YOU SHOULD ALLOW INFINITES BECAUSE THEY TAKE SKILL."

Sigh. I even changed the thread title trying to avoid throwing sand into their vaginas.

I'm glad there were a few people who were open minded about it.

Infinites in Brawl take skill? Holy hell these guys must be real pros! I think we should cut all contact with them since anything we do is "wrong". :annoy:
    Apparently tapping forward then Z and down is the hardest thing ever.

They might shit themselves if they saw a magneto infinite, lol.

• SMS TeamSMS Team "Kneeasy" does it!! Joined: Posts: 221
    So me and my friend had an idea with Stamina mode today, so we gave it a shot and played a few rounds in our new format and were pleasantly surprised to stumble onto this great new way of playing the game. So without further introduction, let me introduce to you:

HOW TO TURN BRAWL INTO A REAL FIGHTING GAME

Version 1:

First you're going to need a custom level. Go to the level editor and pick the largest field size possible. Then, maximize the block size. Starting at the top in the middle, place 3 of the falling arrow blocks at the top. Then switch to the square building blocks and place one on each side of the arrow blocks, then place 4 more below each of those. Once that's done, fill in the middle with more normal building blocks at the very bottom, you should have room for three.

Basically you want it to be 4 blocks tall by 5 blocks wide, and you'll have a fighting area of 2x3. This is going by the BIGGEST SIZE POSSIBLE ON THE BLOCKS.

Ok now that that's done, go to special brawl and set the match type to stamina. Pick your characters and set their HP to 300. Most standard brawl matches are 3 lives and usually, most lives end around 100%, so 300 HP = 3 lives about. Pick your custom map and when the match starts, let the falling blocks drop you down into the fighting area below you. They'll reappear and leave you in an enclosed, inescapable room.

This room is ABOUT the normal dimensions of a standard fighting game screen, it's small enough that the person can't run away all day, but also big enough to give you some room to work with. We were trying to recreate a normal fighting game screen so this should be perfect.

Another thing of note about this mode is that knock back is not increased with damage. Combos are always possible. This makes the game a lot more fun, but this also means that low % infinites will always work here, so in order to make things fair, you must ban certain things. Here's a rule list for "fair play" to keep from breaking the game:

Rules
    - No Chain Grab infinites. If you do your initial grab for the chain grab, you may only follow it up with a different grab. For example with dedede, you can only do down throw into up, left, or right throw. For Ice Climbers, you may only do 1 of each throw in a combo, IE: forward throw into down throw into up throw or whatever.
    - No laser / jab locking.
    - No inescapable attack infinites.
    - If the person can DI out of your infinite or tech, it's legal, IE neutral A against a wall with a lot of characters.

Version 1 Map Layout

This can also only work if it's also in Stamina Mode (300 HP at best.) so that the match doesn't go on forever.
    This is my "I'm going to FUCK... YOU... UP..." face.
    Please make a note of that. ^_^
    SSBB: Bowser, Ice Climbers, DK, Olimar, Luigi
    This can also only work if it's also in Stamina Mode (300 HP at best.) so that the match doesn't go on forever.
    Ok now that that's done, go to special brawl and set the match type to stamina. Pick your characters and set their HP to 300. Most standard brawl matches are 3 lives and usually, most lives end around 100%, so 300 HP = 3 lives about. Pick your custom map and when the match starts, let the falling blocks drop you down into the fighting area below you. They'll reappear and leave you in an enclosed, inescapable room.

reading is too strong.

• SwoopsSwoops Care for a free sample? Joined: Posts: 632
    It's an interesting mode, especially when a lot of moves become obsolete and others become a staple. It doesn't balance it out that much though seeing as higher tiers seem to get higher and lower ones get lower. S'fun though :p
    wtf who changed my thread title? I guess it was because of my comment of "real fighting game". I'll fix that into something more politically correct because I'm sure the reason was not to piss off smash boards people / smash lover boys.

Sorry I'm one of those Smash elitists (I take competitive Smash seriously), but I wanted to say this looks like something quite fun to do. I'm considering adding it as an event to a future tournament to see what other players in my state think of it. I will decide what Damage Ratio works best (I want to preserve combos, but discourage spammy attacks), and I will likely use Springs to null Dedede infinites, and items will likely be turned off. However, a version with Final Smashes on might be interesting, too. ;)

BTW, don't worry so much about the negative posts you got on SWF. The number of scrubs/noobs over there has increased drastically since Brawl launched and I rarely post there, myself. But there are also those people who are not noobs/scrubs who really do not enjoy Stamina Mode but lack the elocution to say as much without sounding like jerks.
  • JoeMastersJoeMasters Awaken ! Joined: Posts: 452
    Infinites in Brawl take skill?

R.O.B. has a fast fly infinite D:
  • WobblesWobbles I beat Ken once. Joined: Posts: 28
    You don't actually need to use the falling blocks. If you set spikes as the ceiling instead, people *must* spawn inside the level. You can also stall on falling blocks by jumping on top of them repeatedly, which keeps them from falling. Just a thought.

This mode sounds badass, and the next time I play I'll be doing it.

If you want more variation on all of this, try making levels with slopes and stuff too. They pretty much end chaingrabs and laserlocks and stuff... well, except for the Ice-Climber nonsense. That junk is just silly :P
    http://eskimosister.blogspot.com

My blog about Melee, ICs, and competition in general.
    Sorry I'm one of those Smash elitists (I take competitive Smash seriously), but I wanted to say this looks like something quite fun to do. I'm considering adding it as an event to a future tournament to see what other players in my state think of it. I will decide what Damage Ratio works best (I want to preserve combos, but discourage spammy attacks), and I will likely use Springs to null Dedede infinites, and items will likely be turned off. However, a version with Final Smashes on might be interesting, too. ;)

BTW, don't worry so much about the negative posts you got on SWF. The number of scrubs/noobs over there has increased drastically since Brawl launched and I rarely post there, myself. But there are also those people who are not noobs/scrubs who really do not enjoy Stamina Mode but lack the elocution to say as much without sounding like jerks.

That'd be awesome if you were to run this as a side event, I'd love to see what people thought of it. Damage ratio 1.2 is the minimum if you want no infinites or chain grabs, but it would save you the trouble of enforcing rules, so that might be good.

Personally of the three maps, from what myself and the people I play smash with have tried, I think we all agree that the map with the spikes is probably the most fun. It gives you that ring out kind of feel, and if someone is at the edge blocking, you can push them off onto the spikes, lol.

But yeah, I know SWF is pretty much 95% noobs and 5% people that can actually make intelligent posts, so I didn't worry about it too much.

btw you're the guy that wrote the preliminary MK guide back in the day, right? If so, <3
    You don't actually need to use the falling blocks. If you set spikes as the ceiling instead, people *must* spawn inside the level. You can also stall on falling blocks by jumping on top of them repeatedly, which keeps them from falling. Just a thought.

This mode sounds badass, and the next time I play I'll be doing it.

If you want more variation on all of this, try making levels with slopes and stuff too. They pretty much end chaingrabs and laserlocks and stuff... well, except for the Ice-Climber nonsense. That junk is just silly :P

Oh yah I forgot to add the part about spikes up top to replace the falling blocks, thanks for reminding me. If this mode gets popular, I'll definitely make some new maps. It sucks you're limited on blocks in the stage builder, it won't let you make block border around the map and then work with what's in the middle, just making the border uses up like....70% of your alloted blocks >_<

Let me know what you guys think when you finally try it though. :tup:

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm all up for this idea.

I'll be sure to do this and possibly get some videos on this.

Also, how do I upload replys to the Wii?
    I wouldn't mind just uploading that footage into my comp so I can put them on youtube and we can see how things go down in your matches Sam... but...
    Yeah, I don't know lol ;o
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
    I'm all up for this idea.

I'll be sure to do this and possibly get some videos on this.

Also, how do I upload replys to the Wii?
    I wouldn't mind just uploading that footage into my comp so I can put them on youtube and we can see how things go down in your matches Sam... but...
    Yeah, I don't know lol ;o

You'd need one of those little SD cards to insert into the comp and then transfer to the wii. But if you wanna add me on za wii, I'll give you my info and I can just send you the replays that way.

Wii #: 0024 2825 8422 7778
    Brawl FC: down there \ /

My matches were just vs the comp and one was to show the lucario infinite, but, I just wanted to show off combo potential and what not. Someone on SWF posted a vid of what the matches look like on version 1:

• SamuraiPanda001SamuraiPanda001 Joined: Posts: 175
    You know what the biggest downside to this is? You can only have one song per stage :D

But really, this does seem interesting, and would be a fun side tournament every now and then. And has anyone thought to try this combined with heavy Brawl? Heavy Brawl has been brought up constantly as an "alternative" that "feels more like Melee", but the biggest downside was that many characters had balls for recovery in that mode (like Sonic). But combine it with this, which doesn't require recovery, and you might have some interesting results. Well, it could just turn out to be a really broken game ^_^
    haha yeah, I think Heavy mode might give half the cast grab infinites. I wish there was a way to just increase hit stun in the options, that'd make everything perfect.

• SamuraiPanda001SamuraiPanda001 Joined: Posts: 175
    I tried it out a bit in heavy mode (I used 1.3 damage and 300hp for no particular reason though) and I think it was quite fun. Then again, I was only playing the computer, so a match between humans is bound to be quite different.
  • BrahmaBrahma Get it on Joined: Posts: 519
    One of the big problems I see is projectile spamming and camping become more potent strategies than they already are. Since this is damage based, you don't need to get close to kill, and can rely solely on projectiles. I can see Toon Link and Snake becoming top tier easily, as they both have several projectiles to mix up to compensate for move decay, and TL in particular as fast enough to play keep away all day while spamming projectiles.

If your character doesn't have a good projectile, they are at a huge disadvantage. Some of the balance given to characters without projectiles is that they are heavier and therefore survive longer, which is not the case in stamina mode. Characters like DK, Bowser, Wario, Ike, etc. who are viable in stock play don't stand much of a chance in stamina play.
    Ready, steady, deadly...
    One of the best feature of smash is that you can kill someone at 0 damage or 300 damage. There is a level of risk at all times. I guess this mode would make the risk escalate faster.
  • KMDKMD Lurkers Anonymous Joined: Posts: 699
    This looks pretty fun, I'll have to try it out sometime.
    I'm here to have Eddie turn his upper body into a giant cow skull and make stupid cackling noises while sodomizing people with gigantic black drills. In HELL. Now THAT'S villainy.
    -Ben Reed
  • HolyOrderChippHolyOrderChipp Unregistered User Joined: Posts: 94
    Ok, I tried this before, but it always spawned me on top of my ceiling. I guess that it won't spawn you on spikes, so a spike ceiling is the solution. There is a problem, though. The hit stun in Brawl is noticeably lower than in Melee, and because of the nearly-no-knockback nature of this mode, things that were safe before can be punished. If higher damage ratio increases his stun, I would recommend turning it up. About wall infinites, other infinites, etc., just allow them and play multiple 100 HP rounds. I find that 100 most closely resembles other fighters. If you don't like how floaty Brawl is, you can set it to heavy in Special Brawl. I, of course, would advocate customs with interesting terrain, rather than mostly flat ones, but regardless of stage design, I think there's real potential for Stamina tournaments as an alternate format.
    On Xbox Live, the three most common ways to insult someone are 'communist', 'Jew' and 'gay'. Somewhere, there's a gay Jewish communist who's wondering how people keep guessing. -- Decadence