The Official TALES Thread (Sword Rain Alpha) - Tales of Berseria Coming!

AlterGenesisAlterGenesis new srk is trollinJoined: Posts: 3,481
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
What's up, people? Being one of the big fans of the Tales series and the impeding releases of Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World on the X360 and Wii respectively, I felt that this topic needed to made to discuss the new games and the old ones alike. To refresh some of the people on the history, as Tales is celebrating in 10th Anniversary in North America.

Tales Website (Japanese): http://namco-ch.net/taleschannel/index.html

Main Tales Franchise:

Tales of Phantasia (1995) SNES [Japan Only]
- Ported to PS in 1998 [Japan Only]
- Ported to GBA in 2003 [Worldwide Release]
- Ported to PSP in 2006 [Japan Only]

Tales of Destiny (1997) PSX [Japan & North America Only]
- Ported remake in 2006 to PS2 [Japan Only]

Tales of Eternia (2000) PSX [Japan & North America Only]
- Ported to PSP in 2005 [Japan & Europe only]

Tales of Destiny 2 (2002) PS2 [Japan Only]
- Ported to PSP in 2007 [Japan Only]
- PS2 Director's Cut in 2007 [Japan Only]

Tales of Symphonia (2003) GC [Worldwide Release]
- Ported to PS2 in 2004 [Japan Only]

Tales of Rebirth (2004) PS2 [Japan Only]
- Ported to PSP in 2008 [Japan Only]

Tales of Legendia (2005) PS2 [Worldwide Release]
Tales of the Abyss (2005) PS2 [Worldwide Release]
Tales of Innocence (2007) DS [Japan Only]
Tales of Vesperia (2008) X360 [Worldwide Release]
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (2008) [Worldwide Release]
Tales of Graces
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Berseria

Other Titles: Tales of the World

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon (2000) GBC [Japan Only]
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (2002) GBA [Japan Only]
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (2003) GBA [Japan Only]
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (2005) GBA [Japan Only]
Tales of the Tempest (2006) DS [Japan Only]
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (2007) PSP [Worldwide Release]
Tales of Hearts (2008) NDS [Japan Only]
Tales of Versus (2009) PSP [Japan Only]

Fan Discs:

Tales of Fandom Vol.1 (2002) PS2 [Japan Only]
Tales of Fandom Vol.2 (2007) PS2 [Japan Only]

Upcoming Releases:

Tales of Berseria [Worldwide Release]

More info to be added when it arises. Discuss this great long-standing series.

EDITS:
- Regions where games are available.
Post edited by AlterGenesis on
#ipressallthebuttons
XBL: AlterGenesis
PSN: AlterGenesisOP

Comments

• Mr. BastosMr. Bastos Joined: Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I might actually get a 360 for the new tales game, I have been on the edge of getting one recently with a lot of cool games but this one might just push me over the edge. I really love the series. I used to play Phantasia in my C++ class on emulator. that was a really fun game. I'd say my least favorite is probably Destiny with Legendia coming in close second. Though I would have like to see Destiny 2 come out here in the states. Abys and Symphonia are probably 2 of my favorite.

I have them all the ones that came out in the US except for phantasia(which I should look for). I have rebirth(but I don't own the disc) and innocence and plan on giving them a play sometime. I might play rebirth this summer, because I've heard so many great things about that game and it is supposed to be one of the best. plus the game looks beautiful and the fighting system is cool.

is there a tales fan site? like SRK for SF, or suikosource fo suikoden?
    "I have nothing to lose but my life, and I got that for free."
    -Setzer FFVI

"Why did God give me a brain and a penis, but not enough blood to use them both at the same time?" -Robin Williams
  • AlterGenesisAlterGenesis new srk is trollin Joined: Posts: 3,481
    There is a Tales forum here: http://tales.namco.com/forums/

It's a pretty big one too.
    #ipressallthebuttons
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,361
    Tales of Symphonia 2 looks sexy.

Always loved this series.

Was a huge fan of Phantasia,and Symphonia.I didn't like Abyss as much because Luke was a whiny bitch.Even his 2nd half turn around didn't change it for me.

Veperia also looks damn god.It will be interesting to play a totally new Game.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
  • AlphaDragoonAlphaDragoon ._. Joined: Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Bonnie Pink opening FTW. They fucking BETTER keep it this time in US.
    Spirit Juice on a new SE game:
    "If it's not Xenogears Episode IV I don't give a fuck what Square-Enix does."
    I would assume that nowadays, they'd be able to have multi-language tracks for game.
    #ipressallthebuttons
  • VariantXVariantX Phantom Assasin Joined: Posts: 136
    I thought they were going to have it sung in english for the us version i think. It might have been an interview done by 1up at somepoint
    Aah..... it tastes like........burning!!!!
    I thought they were going to have it sung in english for the us version i think. It might have been an interview done by 1up at somepoint

*bangs head against desk if true*

EDIT: Abyss owns the fuck outta Symphonia (IMO anyway, the battle system was way better) and Luke was awesome. Anise however failed at life and should've gotten shanked in an alley somewhere.
  • Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh cool. I didn't know there was a remake of Tales of Destiny for PS2. Did that make it to North America cause I don't remember seeing it anywhere.
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
    Oh cool. I didn't know there was a remake of Tales of Destiny for PS2. Did that make it to North America cause I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Nah, the jerks left it in Japan. Just like Tales of Innocence for DS. :tdown:
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I want Tales of Destiny remake soo bad but i can't find anywhere
    Yeah, I should really label the games that were Japan only. I'll get to that. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think I can confirm the US version will have Bonnie Pink singing in English. Which is yes, kind of wack.
    #ipressallthebuttons
  • FatalFuryDFatalFuryD Feint Cancel Addict Joined: Posts: 956
    Eternia and Phantasia are made of utter win. The only thing I don't like about the series is that namco always replaces the original title movie music with generic fantasy music when they port the series to western market.
    My Eternal Fighter Zero cmv, match footages and tutorial vid:
    http://youtube.com/user/seaechiowai
    (Latest update: 7 Jan 2010)
    Inuie G. Choi
  • LiftedResearchLiftedResearch Real Honest Fighting Joined: Posts: 629
    Tales of Destiny is a classic in my book, definitely deserves a look. Heard tons of good things about Symphonia, but never got around to checking it out. The new Wii Tales looks...dated, but I'll probably still give it a try.
    Remember the BEARcade 11/18/2005...RIP dear friend.

• Hatred EdgeHatred Edge One Bad Day Joined: Posts: 16,491
    A Tales thread?

Hmm.... I played a few.

Tales of Symphonia: Never finished it. Had a hard time finding someplace to level up.

Tales of Legendia: Beat the storymode. Did some of the quests afterwards. Didn't finish that either. Random battle+slow moving on maps=me bored and angry.

Tales of the Abyss: Stopped at level 26. After playing the other Tales games this one felt exactly the same. IMO it had nothing to keep my interest long enough. Coolest thing was Ash and Luke though...

I'm not too excited about the Tales series but I haven't given up on them yet. I wish this new Tales was coming out on PS3...... Dammit.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • #reload#reload huh Joined: Posts: 853
    i can't believe vesperia is being released on the 360 though. seems like the 360 is trying to cater to RPG players, with the release of eternal sonata and lost odyssey and all.

i plan on buying a wii to play tales of symphonia 2, since that game was my favorite non-smash game on GCN.
    Yeah, I should really label the games that were Japan only. I'll get to that. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think I can confirm the US version will have Bonnie Pink singing in English. Which is yes, kind of wack.

Whoa wait, it's still Bonnie Pink though?

Yay. She can actually sing in English so I don't mind. :tup:

EDIT: The story of Abyss is awesometastic, I suggest finishing it to anyone who hasn't.
    Indeed, yes, it will still be Bonnie Pink. She sings multi-language, so yeah.
    #ipressallthebuttons
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 4,039
    Tales of Symphonia 2/Dawn of New WorldTrailer

A new trailer with gameplay footage. I wasn't sure about the graphics at first, but see things in action, it looks ok.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    Tales of Symphonia 2/Dawn of New WorldTrailer

A new trailer with gameplay footage. I wasn't sure about the graphics at first, but see things in action, it looks ok.

thanks for that. I'm looking forward to it
    -Setzer FFVI

"Why did God give me a brain and a penis, but not enough blood to use them both at the same time?" -Robin Williams
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    Been found wanting.
    - A Knight's Tale
    RPGamer has their impression of the game up:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/tov/tovimp1.html

and some new screen, movies, and art too.. I really want a 360 for this game. It looks beautiful. Too bad I'll be in Japan when it comes out, and not able to play anything other than handheld stuff..

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/tov/screens/tovss062608-1.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/tov/tovmov.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tales/tov/art/tovart062608-1.html
    -Setzer FFVI

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,398
    tales has a history of 4 player modes doesnt it? i wonder if vesperia will be online enabled

:wonder:
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    tales has a history of 4 player modes doesnt it? i wonder if vesperia will be online enabled

:wonder:

4 players? I remember 2 players with a special item, but I don't know about 4.. and it's not true multiplayer.. it just allows someone to control your other characters during battle.
    -Setzer FFVI

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,398
    4 players? I remember 2 players with a special item, but I don't know about 4.. and it's not true multiplayer.. it just allows someone to control your other characters during battle.

yeah i just read the review, no online. im thinking of tales of symphonia aswell, it's four players.

if eternal sonata can do it then we need more of this shit

also J RPG's tend to be more popular when they are more darker and edgy, why a three player kiddy game (eternal sonata) when you could put your focus on making a more old school manga RPG with multiplay.

not controlling a character during non combating mode? why not work on something that allows someone who owns the game to invite a friend to download something that allows them to play during battles and watch when they arent playing and keep unique stats? isnt that possible in ths day and age?

sorry for all the questions tales of vesperia looks wicked though, i got hyped for it and its not even a series iv eevr got into, my little bro loves tales of symphonia, he completed it back when it was released on gamecube
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Played the Vesperia demo via the beauty of a Japanese Silver account.

- The demo is entirely in English for some reason.

- The voice work is done by the same actors who've done the voices in previous Tales games, but with Symphonia-level voice direction. In other words, the lines have all been very well spoken so far.

- The characters are Yuri, the lead, plays like a combination of Luke and... I dunno, Zero; the main chick, who has a rapier and is very Rutee-esque; a mage girl who has a really cool "cast a giant sword that rotates around me while I run around" attack, and a wolf (!) with a sword (!!) who uses Tales-esque swordsman attacks.

- The demo is multiplayer, and you can pick Manual right off the bat.

- The boss kicked the crap out of me, my brother, and my cousin. We found out too late that you have to use the hazards surrounding the stage.

So far, very impressed with Vesperia.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
    I told you that shit was awesometastic. :tup:

After playing Luke for so long, it's hard for me to get used to Yuri's style. But I'll adjust eventually, that guy is fucking badass.
  • SerpentSerpent Holy Phoenix Joined: Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I got a 360 in large part because of this game and Star Ocean 4. I'm really looking forward to it. Man it'd have been even better if the release date was July 31 (the day after the BAR).
    Playing some more, my only real beef is Bandai-Namco's insistence on keeping some sort of "line" system in combat. Free-running should be what the whole combat system is based on... just as long as, unlike Star Ocean, I can choose a Manual mode. Still, very fun, and the camera in multiplayer does a good job of keeping everyone visible.
    I told you that shit was awesometastic. :tup:

After playing Luke for so long, it's hard for me to get used to Yuri's style. But I'll adjust eventually, that guy is fucking badass.

Yes you did, and much thanks for the tip on getting a JP XBL account!

Yuri doesn't feel like a Tales swordsman at all. I feel like I'm playing Zero.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
    Is acquiring such an account difficult? I don't know anything about it, so if you would care to enlighten me that would be great. =)
    #ipressallthebuttons
    Is acquiring such an account difficult? I don't know anything about it, so if you would care to enlighten me that would be great. =)

It's not that tough.

I used this link:
    http://www.destructoid.com/eternal-sonata-demo-hits-japanese-xbl-make-your-japanese-account-now--31512.phtml

At some point you get asked for an address. I used "123 Tokyo Street." :rofl:
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,619 mod
    Game is freaking beautiful, I can't wait!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35901.html
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • HARD BREADHARD BREAD The heartiest... Joined: Posts: 757
    I didnt know there was a tales thread on SRK...im a big fan of the series having played every game except tempest and innocence...im more excited for vesperia than knights of ratatosk however(i think the battle/capture idea is stupid for a tales game).

Edit: anyone who is a tales fan and hasnt played tales of destiny remake needs to do so NOW!...THE best tales game imo next to rebirth and eternia...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=51Zx0c5yWcI (for anyone who has yet to see or play ToD Remake...just to give you an idea of how much fun this shit is)...
    A wise man said: Never pay full price for late pizza.
    Next main Tales game is for Wii.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/886/886944p1.html
    Namco's Tales series appears to be on a collision course with one console in particular: the Wii. At a press conference held in Tokyo on Monday, Tales series manager Makoto Yoshizumi revealed that the firm is now developing a new Tales game for the Wii. The new game will be the main title for the series for fiscal 2009.

Wii isn't new to Tales, of course, with Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World having just hit the system in Japan a couple of weeks back. Unlike that sequel, though, the new game will be comparable to a Tales of Destiny or Tales of Phantasia in terms of standing. As Yoshizumi said, it will be a "mothership" title in the series.

No details were shared on the new game, as the focus of the press conference was on new Tales titles for the PSP and DS, and some non-gaming developments for the series as a whole.

First 360, then Wii? I'm happy.
    Those being the two next-gen consoles I own, I'll agree. I think I'd prefer XB a little more, but as long as the Wii ones play well and support the GC controller, I'm good.

Speaking of which, I noticed a weird little movement quirk in Vesperia's battles. Sometimes, you walk instead of run. It works a bit like Smash Bros., where if you tilt the stick a bit before going all the way, you walk into a faster walk, but never run. It happened on multiple controllers and is a bit annoying; I'm hoping it can be turned off.

Still didn't beat that damn wolf. :sad:
    For the wolf, it helps a lot if you beat down his little friends first. Once he's alone, use your Limit Bottles and spam the hell out of Yuri's Divine Wolf Burst Arte (it's a low level version of a Mystic Arte, just do an Arcane Arte like Cerberus Blast and hold the button down).
    Got a friend to try the multiplayer and we beat that Boss. :tup:
    #ipressallthebuttons
  • I Kei II Kei I God Emperor Joined: Posts: 230
    I plan on snatching up Vesperia as soon as I possibly can. I have Abyss coming in the mail before long.
    SSF4: Ibuki
    UNIEL - Linne, Nanase
    YouTube - youtube.com/user/Mikadok
    "The Power of Raida"
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,619 mod
    I want to go back and finish abyss but i dont want to burn myself out on the gameplay style and what not before Vesperia
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
    This was posted in the DS thread and figured it should be here too...

oh and I really really wish I could play Vesperia..
    -Setzer FFVI

With the Japanese release coming out in August, doesn't that mean the NA release at earliest will come out in winter or is it a world wide release?
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    Been found wanting.
    - A Knight's Tale

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file