Alpha 3: Q & A

Comments

• Terry_nbTerry_nb ... Joined: Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is Karin worth playing in regular A groove (ie the green regular groove with 3 stocks for meter) at all? I'm most comfortable in that groove and V-ism intimidates the hell out of me.

:p

Well, I'm not a Karin player by any means but Karin seems to me solid in A and well I got some time on my hands right now.

She still got her good s. and c. SK's, s.FP, c.SP. the rekkas, both super combo well after some normals and one is pretty good in corner juggels. You also got 3 bars for an AC possibility, even if it misses quite often thx for having low range and being high (it's her FP basicly). Well no uberdamge stuff or unblockabeles, but solid.^^ Even if V is superior thx to 360 VC and all the usual stuff + the inf, at least I remember she had one ..., but better ask some Karin pros around here.
    SFA 4 needs to be made ...
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,066 mod
    I'm trying to figure out what her BnB is exactly.

Thanks for the tips!

>_<
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
    I'm trying to figure out what her BnB is exactly.

Thanks for the tips!

>_<

Np, btw as BnB c.SK,s.SK/c.JP into Rekkas with the sweep ending seems to be commen. At least I saw it in some match vids and a guy I play quite often sometimes uses Karin and goes for nearly the same, he just uses a c.SP then Rekkas insted of the SK's most of the time. Well on block just stop after the second Rekka input. It seems kinda good to me ....

I also think lucky or so plays Karin here. I read something about it in a thread.
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,926
    or the very good cross up FK ...

How the hell do you cross up with his FK anyway? I've tried and tried, but I've only done it once by accident.
    I've been able to nail every cross-up at least relatively consistently except this one.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
    How the hell do you cross up with his FK anyway? I've tried and tried, but I've only done it once by accident.
    I've been able to nail every cross-up at least relatively consistently except this one.

First off I thought of the move as very good, thx to great reach and air to air priority and it is Cody's only cross up possibility. The usefullness is influenced a lot by the hitbox of your opponent. For example take Gief as opponent in vs mode and go into a fight. Then walk up to your knife up to the point were Cody's left hand sprite touches Giefs right hand. Then jump and see for yourself, that it just works fine. Well against smaller chars, like Shotos, is the cross up more difficould. You need to hit the kick button kinda late. I also can't do it against Shotos very consistent ... However, I hope you got an idea now.:sweat:
  • SnoweSnowe Joined: Posts: 45
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone had this video.

There was actually this extremely good match video between Daigo and this other guy from Japan where they have like heaps of matches to see who wins overall. They were both V-Ryu and the stuff coming out was insane. I would upload the video but I formatted and switched comps. If anyone knows what I'm talking about could you please help me out.

The video was also poor quality in colour but damn that match was extremely high level.
  • bushin187bushin187 Joined: Posts: 237
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone had this video.

There was actually this extremely good match video between Daigo and this other guy from Japan where they have like heaps of matches to see who wins overall. They were both V-Ryu and the stuff coming out was insane. I would upload the video but I formatted and switched comps. If anyone knows what I'm talking about could you please help me out.

The video was also poor quality in colour but damn that match was extremely high level.

thats daigo vs masumi i think . I don't have it anymore though

found some vids on youtube which has some

apoc vs ohnuki

apoc vs tokido

v-vega vs a-bison

a-blanka vs a-bison

v-rose vs v-gief

does anyone have anymore vids of apoc balrog
    lp. mp. fp. fk.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin

Wasnt that on a-cho with Daigo as Ryu? and some other guy?

And While I'm here:

-Does anyone have a Tier list that includes isms?

-What about those secret isms are they banned (Grr Shoto Marvel-ism)

Many thanks
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,784
    can anyone with the ABC a3 book explain to me what I'm looking at? :looney:

im pretty sure the 1st yellow boxes are the start up frames, but what do the other pink/yellow boxes and the blue boxes with numbers underneath the start up frames represent?

recovery?

thx

picture of what im talking about
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8139/01180119bs2.jpg
    CFN: GetReady2Die | WhensThirdStrike [Urien, Ryu, Chun, Balrog, Karin]
    I make Jazz-Hop/Lo-Fi/Soul-Hop/Hip House: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
    Just a guess but from looking at the moves...

Yellow = startup+recovery
    Pink = active (hitting)
    Blue = invincibility

As for the boxes in the pictures, it's pretty apparent that blue = vulnerable hitbox and pink = attacking hitbox

I dunno why there's a gap in the yoga flame though.. ?
  • vejaveja Joined: Posts: 24
    Yellow = startup+recovery
    Pink = active (hitting)
    Blue = invincibility

As for the boxes in the pictures, it's pretty apparent that blue = vulnerable hitbox and pink = attacking hitbox

Yes, that's it.
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    a3 vids up at A-cho.

I'm gonna get a couple PS2s and copies of Alpha Anthology for Evo next year...lack of A3 was sad...
  • SpinalBloodSpinalBlood Sagat Wins Joined: Posts: 252
    What is the correct way to crouch cancel for v-sagat when using vc2? I'm feel more confortable instead vc1 and vc3
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    I posted this in an old Sodom thread but this one gets action, so I appologize for any redundancy in the forums:

Three V-Sodom questions for anyone who knows how he works..

1. I've seen the same VC posted by several people except some say VC1, some say VC2, some say VC3.. does it not matter? Is one easiest over the others? VC2 seems to be workin for me so far, at least to make sure they stay juggled. But if an easier way exists, I wanna know! Also, above there was a discreprency(sp?) about what happens after the 2 whiff fierce scrape in corner turn around. Back fierce, then what exactly? Do we know for sure yet?

2. During the midscreen RK - jab scrape repeats, will this work using strong scrapes instead?

3. Is there a good safe non-VC bnb combo I can go for when I have a short oppurtunity? Above everyone says the main combo is normal xx 360 K. but that is WAY unsafe if blocked and without rapid fire weaks, its hard to hit confirm w/ Sodom. normal xx jab or strong scrape also seem unsafe, but way less so than 360 k! Also for block strings, I know some decent ones but none are true combos unblocked.. how how to string to scare them into blocking for the 360 P?

Thanks!
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942
    snip
    1. If you're ending with an OTG then it doesn't matter. If you're going to try for a CC setup, then VC1 is the easiest way to set up a CC. And if you fuck up his VC while in VC1, you can try for a guard crush or guard break, which are harder to do in VC2 or 3.

2. Strong Scrape has a really high hitbox, so it's easier to fuck up by accidentally hitting with it (you want to be hitting with RH, not the scrapes). Strong and Fierce also move forward more than Jab, so you may accidently cross-up your opponent if you keep whiffing Strong or Fierce scrapes. Though if you intend to keep your opponent out of the corner then Fierce scrapes may be what you're looking for (to crossup while midscreen).

3. Short answer; not really.
    Let's play.
    Supposidely Sakura's parrot VC is so easy to perform but i'm having the silliest problems with the whole hurricane kicks / b+fierce or st. fierce to corner.

I anti-air them with a jab DP ...b+fierce and immediately go to hurricane kick (foward version) but the opponent almost always flips or they're too far ahead of me.

Is the timing pretty strict? I can do her corner part of the VC 6/10 (still teaching myself not to accidently overcharge the fireballs).

How long did it take you guys to get her VC reliably down pat?

Any personal stories or helpful advice?

I don't wanna use A-Sakura for life...because her controllable limbs in v are just so <3. And of course damage potential..
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,784

I anti-air them with a jab DP ...b+fierce and immediately go to hurricane kick (foward version) but the opponent almost always flips or they're too far ahead of me.

if they flip it means you are most likely DP-ing them too early, i.e. while they are further away than they need to be. try waiting a little longer so you can deep DP them preventing the flip
    Thank you very much! That solved 50% of the mess.
    maybe a silly custion: LK+LP or MK+MP or HP+HK?? which combination I should use to activate de V-ism?? or depended of the character??

thanks!!........=)
    maybe a silly custion: LK+LP or MK+MP or HP+HK?? which combination I should use to activate de V-ism?? or depended of the character??

thanks!!........=)

This completly depends on the char and special VC you want to use. VC3 is mainly there for confusion VC's, VC1 for combos (like Ryu's Hadorave) and VC2 for unblockable's. Of course there are many exceptions to the uses I mentioned, but well you will see this soon enough, once you learn your chars in deep. It really depends all on the char and what you want to do ...^^
    Terry_nb: thx, I have a lot to learn!!.........=)
    Just because when I get my mind set on something, I tend to overanalyze and try to perfect whatever i'm doing. So.. I'm going to ask more questions about the Sakura VC ordeal. Sorry if they're annoying or brainless seeming. And sorry if this post is long and annoying.

questions for anti-airing the cast with her midscreen VC:

a) What angle should they be or what angle should I want them to be at before activating --> jab DP

b) Must I always hit them -deeply- with the jab DP to prevent flippage?

c) Why do I often find myself messing up because the person flies too far ahead of me even when i'm using the foward version of her hurricane kick..it's almost as if the back+fierce or st. fierce knocks them too far away from me or something. I can't really describe it I just know this is 85% of my problem.

i.e: Jab DP -> Back+FP -> Foward hurricane kick --> then the opponent is tooooo far ahead of me to do a back+FP or st. FP. Aggravating!

How do people react to alternating between shorts and foward versions of the hurricane kicks on reaction? When should I do this and how do I prepare aside from experience?

Better yet...can someone tell me in VIVID detail on how they use her VC according to various situations/characters? How consistant do you get her VC off? Personal storiessss?

~ VCing the opponent while they're on the ground:

- Is there a certain space between me and the opponent that needs to be met on the ground before I activate and jab DP? Would my distancing be messing up the vc?

Again, sorry for all of the questions! I appreciate all helpful feedback. <3
  • Soldier ZeroSoldier Zero Z E R 0 Joined: Posts: 1,643
    a3 vids up at A-cho.

I'm gonna get a couple PS2s and copies of Alpha Anthology for Evo next year...lack of A3 was sad...

$30 right now for it, pretty good buy.
    J
    questions for anti-airing the cast with her midscreen VC:

a) What angle should they be or what angle should I want them to be at before activating --> jab DP

b) Must I always hit them -deeply- with the jab DP to prevent flippage?

c) Why do I often find myself messing up because the person flies too far ahead of me even when i'm using the foward version of her hurricane kick..it's almost as if the back+fierce or st. fierce knocks them too far away from me or something. I can't really describe it I just know this is 85% of my problem.

i.e: Jab DP -> Back+FP -> Foward hurricane kick --> then the opponent is tooooo far ahead of me to do a back+FP or st. FP. Aggravating!

How do people react to alternating between shorts and foward versions of the hurricane kicks on reaction? When should I do this and how do I prepare aside from experience?

Better yet...can someone tell me in VIVID detail on how they use her VC according to various situations/characters? How consistant do you get her VC off? Personal storiessss?

~ VCing the opponent while they're on the ground:

- Is there a certain space between me and the opponent that needs to be met on the ground before I activate and jab DP? Would my distancing be messing up the vc?

Again, sorry for all of the questions! I appreciate all helpful feedback. <3

a) If your opponent is in the air, _almost_ any angle works. The only reason to try to go for a deep VC is so that you can take advantage of VC invulnerability and so that you won't be air-blocked.

b) no. Your opponent cannot flip as long as you do not go into neutral state. It doesn't matter how high you hit them. You can hit with sak's dp with only the very tip of her attack (1 hit) and you can still continue the VC without your opponent flipping.

edit: I just read Rock Lee's response. Sorry, but no -- deep or not has nothing to do with flipping.

c) Now that's odd. My problem with the vc is that sometimes the opponent is _too_ near and the opponent lands nearly on top of Sak, making the back+fierce miss.

I alternate between FP, crouching FP, and back+FP instead of alternating the hurricane kick. FP causes your opponent to fly backwards further but deals the most damage, back+FP moves sak forward, crouching FP doesn't make your opponent fly back, but deals the least amount of damage.

The VC you use also matters. I find it easier to start and continue the combo with VC2, but I'm having trouble transitioning to a corner combo. VC1 is easier t transition into a corner combo, but I'm having trouble on the startup (plus the damage scaling is a bitch).
    If you use all b+fierces, you usually only need to do a forward hurricane once. At the beginning of the VC. But you can throw one in if you need to get closer after a couple short hurricanes.

I thought people used s.fierce to get them to the corner quicker, because it lets you use nothing but forward hurricanes?

VC, jab DP, [b+fierce, forward hurricane, s.fierce, forward hurricane]xN and switch up when you reach the corner.
    Couple notes:

Her FP and back+FP do the same damage during the VC. Doesn't matter which you use.

Also, Sakura's DP has 5 frames of non-neutral frames starting right as she lands on the ground -- meaning the opponent can flip on the 6th frame starting from when her feet touch the ground.

It is possible that the opponent can be high enough in the air that none of Sakura's normals will hit them except toward+FK (overheard). Meaning, it's possible for them to be "too high" in the air for her normals, and if you delay your attack too many frames then they will be able to flip.

In that case, there's a couple of things you can try:

1) qcb+RH as you land from the DP -- the first hit should connect and you should be able to continue the combo when you land from the hurricane with back+HP and go from there.

2) toward+FK as you land from the DP -- it's unfortunately special cancellable only so you'll have to cancel it with a qcb+FK or qcb+SK or a DP. Both qcb+SK and qcb+FK will whiff, but you should be able to land in time to do a b+FP and continue the combo.

3) qcf+JP as you land from the DP and immediately whiff qcb+FK -- whiffing a FK hurricane puts you close enough to continue the combo with back+FP.

4) Rapid-fire JP's -- Technically if you mash on Sakura's JP then you won't enter a neutral state. It's likely that the opponent will fall into them, but there is a possibility that they'll drop through your JP's. You can continue the combo by cancelling a connected JP with a whiffed qcb+MK and then hit with b+FP.

Generally speaking though, the opponent has to be pretty high in the air for back+FP to whiff after an anti-air DP. And as RockLee pointed out, if you're having trouble with them being too far away to continue the combo, then try activating when they are closer and/or use more back+FP's.
    Let's play.
    edit: I just read Rock Lee's response. Sorry, but no -- deep or not has nothing to do with flipping.

err yeah it does.

obviously if you catch them only with the tip of the dp they usually are or fly further away so you can't get em with b+fp before they tech. deep/close dp allows you to b+fp, then qck+k early enough to stop the flip.

anyways, unto v-rose is there any reason to use whiff qcf+lk,b+hp as opposed to just whiff qcf+lk, s.hp. there both have the same juggle effect so is it a matter of damage, preference etc.

also is it normal to not be able to active immediately after sodom's f+kk kick throw. i find it wierd that regular scrape works, his scrape super works, but i can't seem to activate.
    There is no such thing as "before they tech", or "early enough to stop the flip".

Either they can tech, or they can't. You are either in neutral state, or you aren't. It doesn't matter how far they fly away. If you hit too high, the FP may whiff, but they still can't tech as long as you are attacking. A deep hit will likely mean they will be close enough to be hit by an FP, but this has nothing to do with their ability to flip or not.

In VC2, the standing FP after a DP deals 15 points of damage, a back+FP deals 12.
    There is no such thing as "before they tech", or "early enough to stop the flip".

Either they can tech, or they can't. You are either in neutral state, or you aren't. It doesn't matter how far they fly away. If you hit too high, the FP may whiff, but they still can't tech as long as you are attacking. A deep hit will likely mean they will be close enough to be hit by an FP, but this has nothing to do with their ability to flip or not.

In VC2, the standing FP after a DP deals 15 points of damage, a back+FP deals 12.

the other character doesn't stay in the air long enough to continue if you whiff the b+fp anyways.
    the other character doesn't stay in the air long enough to continue if you whiff the b+fp anyways.
    But his point was that they shouldn't be able to tech during your b+FP animation. Only after it ends should they be able to tech flip.

If the opponent is teching before the b+FP animation ends, that means you're doing it too late. If it's whiffing and they aren't teching untill after you whiff it, that either means they were too high in the air or too far away (or a combination of both).

You're right though, if the b+FP whiffs the only thing you can do is whiff cancel it into a DP or something before they hit the ground. Which isn't exactly easy. You're probably better off walking forward before activating, or crouching and waiting to activate (depending if they are too far or too high, respectively).

My apologies about the different FP damages.
    Let's play.

anyways, unto v-rose is there any reason to use whiff qcf+lk,b+hp as opposed to just whiff qcf+lk, s.hp. there both have the same juggle effect so is it a matter of damage, preference etc.

also is it normal to not be able to active immediately after sodom's f+kk kick throw. i find it wierd that regular scrape works, his scrape super works, but i can't seem to activate.

nobody? :sad:
    b+FP with anyone usually does a little more damage than the regular version, with a few exceptions (Sakura, Akuma etc).

I think in A2 (at least the Saturn version) Sodom wasn't allowed to super/CC after the throw, because he threw the person like 90 feet in the air, giving you plenty of time to attack afterwards. I guess it's the same in A3, but only with VC activation.
    I was messing around with V-Chun to experiment with one of her controllable limbs (b+FP) against the computer and stuff. I think I might have found out something?

I'm not sure if anyone knows this or uses it, but...did you know b+FP can completely protect you from sagat's tiger shot (not the ground tiger)?I guess it is because she scrunches a bit smaller when she puts out those meaty hands. So basically when you press b+FP the projectile just floats pass you. And it's so easy to use....and practically no delay afterwards..

This could be pretty useful when chun isn't in a safe position to punish the tiger shot with a c. fierce/foward/rh.
    Any tips with Adon? I'm new to this game and I thought he was a cool character so he's the first one I've been learning. I was reading some FAQ for a X-Adon. it says to use his heavy kick and crouching heavy kick, and says the Jaguar Kick is his bread and butter. Any other tips?

BTW would anyone here like to play on Kaillera? Godweapon server
    I don't know too much about him but I do know his standing RH has pretty good range / priority at the proper distance. Not comparing Adon to Sakura at all, but their far and standing RH are pretty similar..
  • Iczer oneIczer one chillin' at Buxi Bar Joined: Posts: 216
    Any tips with Adon? I'm new to this game and I thought he was a cool character so he's the first one I've been learning. I was reading some FAQ for a X-Adon. it says to use his heavy kick and crouching heavy kick, and says the Jaguar Kick is his bread and butter. Any other tips?

Some info ...
    (...) He's the master of baiting and throw mixups thanks to air jaguar kicks it makes his game so much stronger imo (he loses crossup j.MK though), people whiff a lot of stuff when they guess wrong. His c.MK has great priorty, and c.HK outranges a lot of stuff.
    He doesn't have much combos and plays somewhat similar to Rolento. His c.LP gives a lot of frame advantage. You can link some stuff after it:
    - c.LP (non-counterhit) -> c.LK xx super (he gets a lot of supers since he builds meter fast)
    - c.LP (counterhit) -> c.HK (knockdown, start jaguar kick mixups)
    - c.LP (counterhit) -> super
    - c.LP (blocked), blockstring
    Adon can do solid guard damage. His walking LK is good for pressure, and you can mix in a jaguar kick into your guard strings. A LK jaguar kick will whiff against crouchers, so you can do stuff like ..
    - c.LP -> c.LK (blocked) -> instant air LK jaguar kick (land behind them) -> throw
    - c.LP -> c.LK (blocked) -> instant air HK jaguar kick (blocked), continue guard string
    - c.LP, walking LK x 2-3, ...
    Oh yeah, his f MP overhead is good too, just don't use it too often because he makes some funky noises which makes it easy to read if you don't surprise them.
    (...)
    always coming back
    Some info ...

Thanks dude, I'll try this stuff out. :wgrin:

BTW what's a blockstring?
    Thanks dude, I'll try this stuff out. :wgrin:
    Be sure to try a forum search as well. The stuff you'll read in posts on this forum will be infinitely better than any FAQ you read.
    Let's play.
    Blockstring = string of blocked attacks.

To pressure people and eat guard meter.
    Ok thanks.

BTW who is a good character for beginners to learn, besides Ken/Ryu? I wanna learn someone original.

Also if this helps, I am using a keyboard to play. It feels more comfortable to me than a pad does for some reason. And even though I'm right-handed, I like to play left-handed better. I use arrow keys with my right hand and I use qweasd for attacks.