Alpha 3: Q & A

1909192939496»

Comments

• MrOldTimersMrOldTimers Joined: Posts: 9
    I need some help. Ive never played this game in my life and I just started last week. Im going to pick 2 characters out of this group: Kain, Guy, Balrog (boxer), Sodom and Adon. I will most likely drop balrog cause the ass beating I got last weekend was ridiculous.

1. Why is Fei Long broke? Does anything beat his c.Fierce or ANY of his normals?
    2. Does anything beat Zangiefs Lariat or ANY of his normals
    3. Can Balrog (Boxer) beat anyone

Guy looks quite hard so I think ill set him aside as a character ill learn when im more comfortable with the game.
    If anyone has ananti-starts again fei long, Zangief, Blanka or Ryu. Please,help

(Can someone tell me how to use the search feature on the thread?)
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I need some help. Ive never played this game in my life and I just started last week. Im going to pick 2 characters out of this group: Kain, Guy, Balrog (boxer), Sodom and Adon. I will most likely drop balrog cause the ass beating I got last weekend was ridiculous.

1. Why is Fei Long broke? Does anything beat his c.Fierce or ANY of his normals?
    2. Does anything beat Zangiefs Lariat or ANY of his normals
    3. Can Balrog (Boxer) beat anyone

Guy looks quite hard so I think ill set him aside as a character ill learn when im more comfortable with the game.
    If anyone has ananti-starts again fei long, Zangief, Blanka or Ryu. Please,help

(Can someone tell me how to use the search feature on the thread?)
    1. For the most part Fei was only in the console versions, and most higher level A3 play was based on the arcade version, so there's not a ton of matchup knowledge out there.
    2. Zangief lariat has a ton of invulnerable frames and is legit anti-air and anti-crossup. He is vulnerable on the top of his head/arm after the first few frames, but whether or not that makes a difference depends on what character you're playing.
    3. Arcade version of Balrog is good, though he has issues fighting V-ISM characters. Console version actually has worse hitboxes IIRC, but you can select the arcade version of him in the console versions.

If you're playing Sodom- LP Jigoku Scrape (qcf+LP) and level 1 sai super are both safe on block, and he has a lot of good normals both ground and air. HP and MP Jigoku Scrape punishes blanka's rolling attack on block, as does reversal Daikyou Burning (360°+HK). If you do medium Jigoku Scrape early enough you can catch fireballs or people who are trying to jump.

Balrog (arcade version) crouching HP can trade with Zangief's jumping attacks, and you can punish blocked lariat with crouching mediums if you're close enough IIRC. His kick super will beat fireballs if you have enough distance and time it right. Jumping LP/LK are good attacks air to air and in general. Far standing HP/HK has good priority, and you can use it to poke/trade with fireballs (if you are playing Balrog many trades will be in your favor). LP dash punch, LK Dash Grand Upper (charge b, d/f+K for A-ISM) and all levels of both supers can punish Blanka's rolling attack on block if timed correctly (assuming no weird console version changes).
    edited November 2015
    Hello! Thank you so much for your time TS. I know Alpha was played 20 years ago but it has a mini revival where I'm at. I'm getting anthology today. Since this really my first SF I'm goingvto play (neo geo guy), I'm goingvto stick with Karin,Sodom and aism Chun. When i have everything diwn ill try gen or guy. But for niw ill stick with those 3.

Ill sift through the boards for info. Apoc's high level greek speak in confusing but ill manage.

If anyone has anti blanka, x chun (wtf) strats for Karin that would help
    Post edited by MrOldTimers on
    edited November 2015
    Thank you TS for the strats. Looks like Sodom can handle blanka

Sodom:

1. What is the difference between X,A,V (why does he have 2 themes?) I was going to play A but it seems his VC's are what makes him good?
    2. Any tips doing his VC's
    3. I saw a VC with Sodom which was mostly chip damage (joku scrape over and over again). IS he still safe even in this mode?

System questions:

1.What is walk cancel and crouch canceling
    2. How do buffer, shortcut and setup 360s?
  • Sweet PoisonSweet Poison Knowledge is power. Joined: Posts: 981
    Anyone have some links to Dhalsim Alpha 3 videos? Also is there a thread regarding Dhalsim gameplay? I didnt see one.

Thanks.
    My hunger's never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me.
    Thread Bump

Can someone please explain a chun lis mix up game? Who is more and the good?
  • BraboChokeBraboChoke I take my food for thought with a pinch of salt Joined: Posts: 799
    Anybody still have the AAA3 guide book zip file?

Anyone?

We just got a mame version of Alpha 3 at work and im having fun smashing a colleague of mine. Need to maintain tech advantage.
    edited November 2015
    Thread Bump

Can someone please explain a chun lis mix up game? Who is more and the good?
    I do not understand this question.
    Anyone have some links to Dhalsim Alpha 3 videos? Also is there a thread regarding Dhalsim gameplay? I didnt see one.

Thanks.
    Playlist of Dhalsim matches:

Thank you TS for the strats. Looks like Sodom can handle blanka

Sodom:

1. What is the difference between X,A,V (why does he have 2 themes?) I was going to play A but it seems his VC's are what makes him good?
    2. Any tips doing his VC's
    3. I saw a VC with Sodom which was mostly chip damage (joku scrape over and over again). IS he still safe even in this mode?

System questions:

1.What is walk cancel and crouch canceling
    2. How do buffer, shortcut and setup 360s?

X-Sodom doesn't have any distinct advantages over A- or V-ISM Sodom. The swords are a superficial buff, their actual hitboxes are mostly all the same.

Like most character's Sodom's best mode is V. If you can't actually do any of the combos that's going to be a problem, but you still get access to close and far normal normal moves at any range, which is a boost for a lot of characters. Yes, repeated HP Jigoku Scrape is safe on block when V-ISM is activated.

Crouch cancels were explained on the page before this one.

360° motions only require the 4 main directions, and you can actually skip the diagonals (ie. left, down, right, up+button).

Zangief gets a 20% boost in his SPD range if he doesn't cancel into pre-jump frames, and R. Mika has a good kara throw with her far HP, but those are the only command throw special cases that come to mind.
    BraboChoke wrote: »
    Anybody still have the AAA3 guide book zip file?

Anyone?

We just got a mame version of Alpha 3 at work and im having fun smashing a colleague of mine. Need to maintain tech advantage.
    Nope. But I have a copy of the book, if you had any specific questions.
  • Sweet PoisonSweet Poison Knowledge is power. Joined: Posts: 981
    TS, thanks man for the videos. Also is there a place where the characters are ranked per the ism they can select? I know any version of Sim is supposedly good but I want to know from good to best how Sim's ism's rank. Thanks.
    My hunger's never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me.
    edited November 2015
    Like most characters, his best modes are V, A and X-ISM in that order. X-ISM is the weakest mode because it has the most problems fighting V-ISM characters, but it is viable when that is not a concern.

Also like most characters, when you first start playing the character you are probably going to get more out of A and X. You're giving up damage options by playing V, and you don't get them back until you learn how to land your VCs etc.

In general, there are tier listings at Zero Gravity 2 (Japanese A3 website which should give you the general idea. There is also a match up chart where different players will give matchup opinions on a character, but those are all in Japanese.

Overall:
    A-ISM matchups only:
    4hzMTs8.png
    TS- Thank you for the help.

I meant Aism Chun Li mix up game. I was told to start with Chun to get used to the game.

OK what is charge partitioning? IS there anyway to store charges? (Sorry im very new to SF)

Im going to stick with Karin, Sodom/Chun Li and Juni. Yes Juni, im actually starting to like her more than Karin.
    By your questions, I'm guessing you come from an SF3 background?

No charge portioning to speak of in the Alphas.

Guard meter is a bit like the stun gauge in the SF3 games, except it's stun damage that you take for blocking. So characters with high-priority attacks get an automatic buff because they're basically still doing damage on block. Also like the stun gauge, when people's guard meter is about to break, they sometimes start to get predictable, which can work out to your benefit.

Chun mixup is mostly based on her priority as opposed to high/low. So it's more frame trap vs throw than high/low. However, Senenshu (hcb+K axe kick) is an overhead and is pretty decent. The general strategy for learning Chun is to be a brick wall of pressure and keep moving forward, and then mind your anti-airs when people jump to escape pressure. After a knockdown either do block strings for guard damage (meaty close standing HP into crouching HK) or throw.

You may want to start with X-ISM Chun Li. All of her normal are as good or better than A and she does more damage. She loses the fireball, but that's not a main part of Chun's gameplay in A3. She gets the Hakkei (charge b, f+P palm strike) which does more damage. She loses Tensho Kyaku (flash kick upkicks) since X-ISM Chun can only do this as a reversal and not on demand. But her normals are good anti-air on their own. She loses the Senenshu as an overhead, but you can live without it. She gets Spinning Bird Kick instead, which isn't great, but can be useful for getting out of trouble since it has crazy invulnerable frames at startup. The biggest loss is probably the fireball super.

Chun is good at pressuring with her normal attacks (standing MP, close standing HP, crouching HK), and her jumping LK crosses up and can be hard for characters without invulnerable anti-air to deal with on the ground, or beat air-to-air. She can also do an attack string of crossup jumping LK, close standing HP, crouching HK. The HP and HK don't link, but it's a frame trap, and the string does a lot of guard damage if blocked. The loop can be repeated on hit or block. Her walk speed also allows her to get away with walkup -> throw more than some other characters.

Defensively, she has good anti-air with her normal attacks (mainly crouching HK, or standing LP (counter hit) xx jumping attacks, etc). The primary purpose of early Kikosho (fireball super) is anti-air. Senenshu has invulnerable frames at startup, and can be used to beat counterpokes, though her normal attacks do a better job.

• silent_strikesilent_strike Joined: Posts: 30
    What is the general strategy for using Adon?
    Aris for Skull Girls DLC!
    Never really picked up Adon. Seems to be based around pressure with normals and keeping track of your spacing? Haqq215 is the best GGPO/Fightcade Adon, you can look up some of his matches on YouTube:

And here is a playlist of matches featuring Adon:
    edited November 2015
    TS- Im more KOF than anything. I did try 3rd Strike but I tries Elena. I saw a charge partitioning video regarding remy. I thought it applied to all charging characters. Since ive never played a charge character (even in KOF/FF), I was looking on tips to charge/store moves.

Hmm that X-ism Adon is looking mighty nice.
  • VCFan1001VCFan1001 Joined: Posts: 285
    edited March 16
    Hey whats up guys, I'm new to alpha 3 and want to be good at this game.
    The characters that interest me are v-ism juni and v-ism honda
    but on the fight cade version I dont see her on the character select screen is she not in this version ?
    I dont understand how the game works is there some videos I can look at to learn the basics of alpha 3 the only site
    i know of is: http://sfzero3.web.fc2.com/combo.htm and Xenozip videos on youtube
    also is there and videos showing how v-ism juni supposed to be played
    @TS
    Post edited by VCFan1001 on
    edited March 28
    @VCFan1001
    Juni / Juli / Balrog are all in arcade version of Alpha 3 but you have to enter a code at the select screen to use them.
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/564869-street-fighter-alpha-3/cheats

I don't know that there's a basics video for new players. There's some stuff on GameFAQs in terms of written guides.

Juni videos:
    Basic links and V-ISM combos

Matches:

Honda is pretty simple to pick up. Would suggest you start with A-ISM for both Juni and Honda just to get a feel for the characters.

Honda basic combos

Honda matches:
    Post edited by TS on
  • iWinWeDateiWinWeDate Whiff punish everything. Joined: Posts: 303
    Does ken have a crouch cancel infinite or a 100% Vism combo?
    1P Ken has a recharge infinite with jumping HP, I don't know if it works for player 2P Ken because the corner crossup rules are different.

I've not seen anyone pull it off in a real match.

edited March 31
    Are you sure the ken player had enough time to activate Vism and do another j.hp? I'm new to a3, how are the rules different on p2 side?
    Edit
    I just tested it, and ken has enough time to activate Vism and continue the combo.
    Post edited by iWinWeDate on
    Corner crossup rules are different between Player 1 and Player 2. This is mostly an issue when it comes to infinites- characters that need to jump up-forward will switch sides if they are 2P. Ryu can do jumping MP as a V-ISM infinite, 2P Ryu can't because he will change sides when he lands/whiff.

Charcters with neutral-jump infinites (Cody, Vega etc) aren't affected as much, but characters who have to jump forward have to use different combos, though most of them still have infinites, they just involve crossing into/out of the corner.

@ 01:24
    Thanks for the info bro.
  • YodellerYodeller Joined: Posts: 4
    How do I deal with Guy as Rose? This matchup always ends in a loss for me and pretty much stops me dead in arcade mode.

I try defending and only attacking after he attacks but he always manages to deal so much damage with just a single move or combo. Plus I don't deal that much damage myself so defensive probably isn't too good on its own.
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Has anyone seen the new ken full screen AA vc? It's similar to ryu's. I've always theorized it was possible but was never able to find a timing to prevent flipping. This would also probably be the best vc against Sakura since the traditional AA VC does not work against her.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE