Some crap about Ken

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
I am really suprised at the lack of Ken information on these forums. I guess ill tyr to open up some conversation here.
My favorite Team is Spiral/Ken/Doom. Obviously spiral builds meter and has her own strategies with Doom that dont really need Ken, but I use a simple Ken strategy that covers alot of kens weaknesses like movement. I use spirals projectile assist and dooms anti-air. After I build some meter with spiral and chip away about half the life off an opponents character, I tag in ken and play it like this..... if the opponent trys to turtle I call doom rock in their face and if a combo lands then that person will die. If not, I jump back to draw them to the middle of the screen and call spirals assist and jump-in arial combo. This may seem overly simple but it really covers alot of ground. First of all, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that calling doom's anti-air and rushing down people with ken puts pressure on, but what is often overlooked by Ken users is when to use him. If you use Ken at point at the begining of the match then it should be fairly obvious to any opponent that you will try to combo him up, and lets face it it aint exactly like ken can fight from long distance or build meter quickly. on the opposite end of that spectrum is saving Ken to finish people off. This is definitely better than starting the match off with him, This strategy banks on the opponent who is almost dead not being able to adapt. I see many Good Ken players get greedy and end up losing alot of matches because the frustration of not being able to finish somebody off makes them do one of two things: keep pressing on even if the opponent has gained momentum, Which ussually comes from long range attacks as ken trys close the distance. the second way i see them lose is in trying to over compensate for kens failures by carelessly calling in assists who get beat up with the same long range attacks ken is getting killed with. In my personal opinion Ken is best used as a filler and a good anti-air.
When it comes down to it, Ken is pretty much useless except for the anti-air unless he can dominate. In fact, I like to think of Ken as more of an assist himself then as a character to beat other characters. When I pick Ken, I basically see the match break down like this. If Ken can take out 30 to 40 percent out of the middle of each characters life then he has successfully been used.
Of course If i could kill every oppont with ken alone i would, but there is something to be said for doing the unexpected and being good at it. I have beat many players who were far better then me With a solid but not over bearing Ken strategy. So some restraint when using him in a match when it comes to attacking opponents with fresh life and finishing people off, not to say it should be avoided completely, but it is extremely demoralizing to an opponent if and when they catch on and realize the hard way that you have some strategies to back up your tactics. Using ken as a filler to take a little bit of life from each opponent may seem like a bunch of crap, but the fact that Kens strengths are so obvious can work against him in many cases. Of yeah i forgot. Using spirals Projectile assist is good with ken because it has very different pace from that of dooms rocks. any way yup

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    So your goal is to keep away with a character who has no range?

You state that Ken's goal is to do 30-40% damage, and Spiral's is to do half of a characters life.

So either you expect Doom to finish off 2 characters and a lil' bit, or you're happy with losing.

By the way, do you like my short paragraphs?

I'd make them longer, but I have to compensate for your abysmally formatted shitbrick.

You need some much better team dynamics. Ken can't cover for Spiral or Doom if you're keeping them away.

And you say yourself that I'm expecting you to try and get in and combo, but that's your strategy.

Oh wait, it's CALL ASSIST jump in and combo. Nobody thought of that before?

In response to this entire strategy, my Cable will shoot your assists till they both die, then Storm will run the hell away. If you try to get in, *my* Ken will punch you in the face. GGPO
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    JALbert
    So your goal is to keep away with a character who has no range?

You state that Ken's goal is to do 30-40% damage, and Spiral's is to do half of a characters life.

So either you expect Doom to finish off 2 characters and a lil' bit, or you're happy with losing.

By the way, do you like my short paragraphs?

I'd make them longer, but I have to compensate for your abysmally formatted shitbrick.

You need some much better team dynamics. Ken can't cover for Spiral or Doom if you're keeping them away.

And you say yourself that I'm expecting you to try and get in and combo, but that's your strategy.

Oh wait, it's CALL ASSIST jump in and combo. Nobody thought of that before?

In response to this entire strategy, my Cable will shoot your assists till they both die, then Storm will run the hell away. If you try to get in, *my* Ken will punch you in the face. GGPO

What the hell are you talking about dude? Cable? even a scrub can beat cable with spiral.
    I was explaining how Ken affects some strategy, i didnt actually say anything aobut how i use Doom or Spiral. My point was that i win the most and see most people win more with ken when they use him in moderation, like a staller. Not keep-away, not rushdown crap. Keep-away ken doesnt work by anybodies standards and everybody knows about scrubby ken corner combos? The actuall team i play above never actually centers on ken.