"Get Ready...Survive!" The New Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread

Comments

• Emperor PaineEmperor Paine Hakkenden Sensei Joined: Posts: 363
    I'll be going to EVO again this year. Hopefully Giby can make it as well. I'll bring a setup and everything for those interested in playing in the BYOC area. We'll try to set something so we can do a mix of games this year for anyone interested in SNK games.

I'll see you at EVO then. I was wondering if you were going to "Final Round" as well?

As for Garou I can bring my 360. Even got KOF 2k2 & 98 UM's on it. Oh and NGBC :lol::
  • the_judgethe_judge Can you feel the love tonight? Joined: Posts: 1,771
    The speed difference isn't so bad really. Just need to adjust to it slightly. Also console would be better since most people will have 360/PS3 sticks at EVO. Supergun would be nice though but we would need specific sticks to play on it. People would probably complain about the sticks not being something they play on. The more setup options the better.

Idk, with these Neogeo based games, I'm somewhat well adjusted to the slowdown when attacks are connecting. With console Garou, not only is it faster, but that slowdown is damn there completely gone. Main reason I complain about it is because I have to readjust my hit confirms and JD's (finally learning how to use em).
    I would bring my 360 with Garou, problem is that I have to connect to XBL in order to play it (effing Microsoft). I got the KOF's and NGBC working fine though.

Hopefully I can be some kind of okay at the game by then. The matches you've been posting are pretty much what has me back on the game.
    PC elitist
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    I'll see you at EVO then. I was wondering if you were going to "Final Round" as well?

I won't be able to make it out there. I would love to go though but right now money is pretty tight for me.
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • GibyGiby SoCal SNK Joined: Posts: 742
    Going to ATL would be awesome. I need to hit the lotto.
  • MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 565
    I would bring my 360 with Garou, problem is that I have to connect to XBL in order to play it (effing Microsoft). I got the KOF's and NGBC working fine though.

Huh, thats weird. I don't have to go on XBL, just "log in" to my account by selecting it and selecting my storage device and away I go.
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
    I won't be able to make it out there. I would love to go though but right now money is pretty tight for me.

That's cool. Since EVO happens in my backyard, I'll see you when you come out here.
  • moltron1stmoltron1st Joined: Posts: 7
    Nocturnal!!!! Whats good man, been a long minute since I last got up on SRK....probably don't even remember me but anyway, whats good?

IS this MOTW port also on PS Store or no? I still have my Dreamcast version....
    "I'm the master of Valentine's Day. I literally make romance into a science."
    KOF98UM-Yuri, Chris, Andy
    Tekken 6-Anna, Nina, Asuka, Law
    MvC2-Iceman, Psylocke, Guile (or Strider)
    IS this MOTW port also on PS Store or no? I still have my Dreamcast version....

It isn't in the store yet. Also stay away from the DC port if at all possible.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    Huh, thats weird. I don't have to go on XBL, just "log in" to my account by selecting it and selecting my storage device and away I go.

It's called a "License." I originally dl'd Garou on my first 360. And when I dl'd it to my new one the license doesn't transfer. So I have to log in to XBL to play the full game. I tried transferring the licenses, but I effed up, and you can only do it once a year.

Also, can Jae do much of anything against Jenet divekick pressure? Too hard to reaction JD those things. Nor do I feel like I have the meter to go through the fight.
    PC elitist
    Also, can Jae do much of anything against Jenet divekick pressure? Too hard to reaction JD those things. Nor do I feel like I have the meter to go through the fight.

Besides JDing and backdashing away you can try his charge kick. It's risky though but it should trade hits and give Jae enough time to kick super after. So if it trades and Jae recovers before Jenet lands you can kick super for free. Also jump up :snkb: and :snkd: are good options to make her stop. If you know it's coming try those. Also jump back :snkd: works pretty well depending on the angle she's coming in. That's Jae's longest air to air range normal. You can also try :d: + :snka: + :snkb: as an AA but it's also risky cause it all depends on the angle Jenet is coming in at you. If you do it at the correct spacing it should counter hit her out of her dive kick..
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • NybbNybb DOUBLE GERMAN Joined: Posts: 458
    Hey, I've been sort of slowly trying to learn this game after first playing it with some friends a little while ago. I've been trying to play on GGPO, but it seems that all the good players just do random character select every game, so it's incredibly hard to learn anything =/

I haven't been able to find too much in this thread or the wiki on how TOP activation impacts gameplay and strategy. It seems like a pretty distinctive feature of the game, but I'm a little bit lost as to how I should be thinking about it. Do players generally prefer to be more aggressive in order to take advantage of the damage increase when in TOP? Or should you try to be more defensive to preserve it? What about when your opponent is in TOP? And what motivates deciding which third of your life bar to designate as TOP mode? I've been playing mostly Tizoc, Gato, and Grant, in that order, so I suppose my questions are mostly aimed at their gameplay.

Aside from that, thanks to everyone posting information in this thread and maintaining the wiki!
    Live in or near Victoria, BC, Canada? Come join our scene, we have occasional tournaments and mostly-weekly casuals and stuff! Check out our Facebook group, where most of our planning/discussion takes place.
    Hey, I've been sort of slowly trying to learn this game after first playing it with some friends a little while ago. I've been trying to play on GGPO, but it seems that all the good players just do random character select every game, so it's incredibly hard to learn anything =/

I haven't been able to find too much in this thread or the wiki on how TOP activation impacts gameplay and strategy. It seems like a pretty distinctive feature of the game, but I'm a little bit lost as to how I should be thinking about it. Do players generally prefer to be more aggressive in order to take advantage of the damage increase when in TOP? Or should you try to be more defensive to preserve it? What about when your opponent is in TOP? And what motivates deciding which third of your life bar to designate as TOP mode? I've been playing mostly Tizoc, Gato, and Grant, in that order, so I suppose my questions are mostly aimed at their gameplay.

Aside from that, thanks to everyone posting information in this thread and maintaining the wiki!

It has been explained before. TOP placement is a preference really. It all depends on how you plan on playing. If you are using a rush based character usually placing TOP at the start of your life is the better option. Usually defensive players place their TOP at the end of their life bar. It's good because it helps out with things like time out wins and landing some damaging hits to make a comeback. You have to remember also that when you are in TOP mode your life slowly regenerates. I usually place mine in the center since I tend to play both ways depending on who I'm playing. When you go into TOP mode the game slightly pauses for a second from in game lag. So it also helps in that timings change when that happens. So if someone is doing a combo on you and TOP activation occurs, it gives you that slight chance they might miss time something. As for when your opponent is in TOP mode. You want to make sure you watch for your openings, because in TOP the opponent deals more damage. So it's bad news for you if they land a combo usually. There are characters that really benefit from TOP also like Kain. Kain can guard crush easier in TOP mode thanks to the guard crush bug he has. Characters like Grant and Kevin are scary in TOP when they have meter. Again it's all a preference so just use what works for you.

Also Giby has been doing some great clean up work on the wiki. We'll both be doing lots of cleaning up and making it easier to follow. Hopefully soon all the important character info should all be in the wiki soon.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • NybbNybb DOUBLE GERMAN Joined: Posts: 458
    Thanks for the response, that was very informative. Looking forward to seeing the wiki again once you guys are through with the revisions.
    Live in or near Victoria, BC, Canada? Come join our scene, we have occasional tournaments and mostly-weekly casuals and stuff! Check out our Facebook group, where most of our planning/discussion takes place.
  • MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 565
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • logiclvlogiclv Washed up veteran Joined: Posts: 97
    I love this game. I'm currently getting wrecked on GGPO cause everyone is so pro already. I'm trying to find people to level up with me on GGPO. Anyone interested? If so, please look me up.

GGPO Tag: GamerTron

Eventually, I'm going to change my GGPO tag to logiclv just to match my other tags.

I'm really trying to learn MOTW now and get decent at it. I asked about playing MOTW @ evo last year. People were interested but didn't have the set up. I will be @ evo again this year to play and learn more.

I can break Terry's power dunk no problem. Any tips on breaking Marco's DP? I find that I have to press A+B REALLY early, but it's so freaking hard. I practiced forever in training mode, but it's still really difficult.
    As for Garou I can bring my 360.

We definitely need to play this more. Offline preferably.
    I was thinking of going to Evo this year. If I do, I'd certainly be interested in getting together with some Garou. I could try bringing my MVS and supergun with me if people want?

Yes, please bring it.
    ssf2t, sfa2, motw, kof, umk3, mk9, msh, rotd, tmnt:tf
    I can break Terry's power dunk no problem. Any tips on breaking Marco's DP? I find that I have to press A+B REALLY early, but it's so freaking hard. I practiced forever in training mode, but it's still really difficult.

This has been asked many times before. There is no real trick besides practice doing it. You have to press :snka: + :snkb: as soon as you do the dp special. When you hear the first sound coming out of Marco's mouth is when you suppose to press :snka: + :snkb: if that helps. The :snkc: version is a bit easier to break but has slight more recovery on it. Just think of it as all one motion when you try doing it. Also are you using a pad or stick?
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    Odd comparison, but think of Marco's DP break like Ken's kara throw in SSF4, but with a smaller window (and different button)
    Basically, hit C and immediately hit A+B afterwards. You should consistently get the break with this mentality.
    PC elitist
  • FaykFayk OVAHDRIVE! Joined: Posts: 330
    Odd comparison, but think of Marco's DP break like Ken's kara throw in SSF4, but with a smaller window (and different button)
    Basically, hit C and immediately hit A+B afterwards. You should consistently get the break with this mentality.

I dunno if it's all in my head, but I also find it easier to break for some reason if I do close C-> DP -> break (or whatever close up he can cancel, I haven't played the game in weeks and am a total scrub)
  • logiclvlogiclv Washed up veteran Joined: Posts: 97
    Thanks for your help. I'm still scrubby, but I will keep practicing to get my execution on point. Have to get the feint cancels down too.

I play on stick. I think it's easier to break Marco's DP with C, but I feel DP with A is a lot safer in case I fuck up. So...break DP with A seems more difficult since I'm pressing A twice (as opposed to plinking DP with C, A+B). My button presses get sloppy. I know I have to do it clean, but it's difficult.

Like Fayk, I also find that doing the DP motion early during an attack or jump kick is easier. After the attack is over, then I press A then A+B. It's weird. It's almost as if I'm storing the motion like guard cancelling. Anyone else vouch for this?

For example, if I'm on offense I'll do s.D, DP motion, then s.A, A+B. If I'm on defense and I have to DP on the fly, though, then it's more difficult for me to break DP since I'm not throwing out an attack beforehand. I'm pretty much tensing up when I break Marco's DP, because I have to do it so fast.
    ssf2t, sfa2, motw, kof, umk3, mk9, msh, rotd, tmnt:tf
    Breaking Marco's dp+C is much like how Viper players negative edge Fierce-Feint-Fierce with Heavy Thunder Knuckle in SSF4. Usually if they screw up, they leave themselves wide open. However, they allow themselves an easier timing scale to link the 2nd cr.Fierce after the feint.
    Obviously you can't get this consistently right off the bat. Like Noc said, just practice until you fingers memorize the proper cancel window.

Main reason you two probably find the break easier during a combo is the in-game slowdown that occurs when you land a normal. Most likely gives you a small buffer window that allows you to more efficiently get the break.
    I will say, Gato's stomp break. That is some challenging stuff.
    PC elitist
    Reason it seems easier on hit is because the timing slightly changes when you put someone in hit stun/block stun. So it gives you enough time to input the A+B as the dp connects to break it. On whiff it's done faster. The :snka: version is the safest one. Even when breaking it on hit it recovers fast so you can't punish Marco for it. The :snkc: version has a bit more range and recovery. Both have their uses though in a match. I would say it's closer to roll cancel timing if you've played CvS2. Think of it that way.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    Yo Nocturnal, how is that wiki page coming along? I would like to hit that up with some training before EVO so you don't completely murder me. Speaking of which whenever we fight you are not allowed to use your "A", "C", or "D" buttons. Also you can only pick Rock. $500.00 money match. lol

Your game right?!?????
    Yo Nocturnal, how is that wiki page coming along? I would like to hit that up with some training before EVO so you don't completely murder me. Speaking of which whenever we fight you are not allowed to use your "A", "C", or "D" buttons. Also you can only pick Rock. $500.00 money match. lol

Your game right?!?????

Me and Giby will try getting most of it done before EVO. I'll use rock sure. $500 mm is a bit much for me though. I don't have that much money to spend like that lol. I need the buttons though.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    Haha, I'm just messing Nocturnal. I'd be a fool to mm you. Especially for that much money. lol
    Will you MM me? :D

Son! I've heard your name far to many times to count and I know your legit.
    Your just out to get some easy money. lol
    I'll have to see how my lvling up comes along by evo.
  • jt4mtbjt4mtb Mission Complete! Joined: Posts: 172
    If anyone here happens to be in/near the Philadelphia, PA area, I'm having a garou session at my place this Friday night. There's a small group of us that try to get together and play whenever we can; so I'm trying to get a regular thing (ideally monthly) going here. I'm located near the Phila. airport; about 10 mins from the Sheraton where NEC and Winter Brawl was held. Either post up or shoot me a PM if you're interested in coming by.

If anyone was watching the Garou stream from Winter Brawl, it'll be most of the same guys that were playing there that'll be here (along with the random goofy stuff we tend to do at times :razz:). Barring my PC crapping out on me, I'm going to try streaming our sessions too for anyone who wants to watch. Gotta share the love of this wonderful game.
    --JT
    I'm glad to see people stepping up and doing things for the community. This is what the fighting game community should be about. Getting together with players and playing/learning games. If you guys can do a stream and I'm not working I'll be glad to check it out. I can give those playing some help if they don't mind.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • FaykFayk OVAHDRIVE! Joined: Posts: 330
    Nocturnal, out of curiosity, where are you running/hosting/etc your wiki for the game that was mentioned earlier. How much/what areas of the game/etc are you trying to cover with it? Everything I assume?
    We're trying to get everything covered, and at the same time clean up stuff that was added before (some of the stuff people added in the past is wrong or just silly) So far we have the main page complete and we're slowly working our way into the character sections. Overall its about 20% complete. Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Shoryuken Wiki, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Strategy and More!
  • Milk StoneMilk Stone Joined: Posts: 200
    If anyone here happens to be in/near the Philadelphia, PA area, I'm having a garou session at my place this Friday night. There's a small group of us that try to get together and play whenever we can; so I'm trying to get a regular thing (ideally monthly) going here. I'm located near the Phila. airport; about 10 mins from the Sheraton where NEC and Winter Brawl was held. Either post up or shoot me a PM if you're interested in coming by.

If anyone was watching the Garou stream from Winter Brawl, it'll be most of the same guys that were playing there that'll be here (along with the random goofy stuff we tend to do at times :razz:). Barring my PC crapping out on me, I'm going to try streaming our sessions too for anyone who wants to watch. Gotta share the love of this wonderful game.

I think you told me about this on GGPO, I'm in the tri-state area (DE), but airport is pretty far so it's highly doubtful I'd come by. So your PC crapped out? I guess that explains why you haven't been on.
    I think you told me about this on GGPO, I'm in the tri-state area (DE), but airport is pretty far so it's highly doubtful I'd come by. So your PC crapped out? I guess that explains why you haven't been on.

Actually, couldn't have been me since I don't have GGPO :sweat:. I think it was Hubbs that you're thinking of; he keeps telling me about meeting/playing some really awesome player named Secret on GGPO and that I need to play him sometime. I can't answer why he hasn't been on though. So out of curiousity, where about in DE are you?
    --JT
  • HuBBsDoctorHuBBsDoctor GVN Fo Sizzle! Joined: Posts: 916
    Yo Secret! ? I haven't been playing a lot of ggpo garou lately, but when i get on i never saw you.
    Mastermind of Gaming Vision Network
    The home of the GVN Winter Brawl and Summer Jam.
    Ah, yeah, I forgot his name so I wasn't sure if it was you or someone else. Kept thinking "Hoggs" for some reason, haha.

Anyway, I'm about 20 minutes from Wilmington. Question; which version of MOTW do you all play when you meet up? The PS2 version?

I'm on GGPO right now if you want to play.
    Actually, we usually play the original Neo Geo version. I've got two superguns I built, two MVS motherboards (both with a unibios), and two Garou MVS carts. I've got PS2-to-Neo adapters for anyone who has a PS2 stick/pad to play on.

Anyways, I'm about to get some sleep. If you ever want to come up and play, let me know. Hope you can make it out sometime if not tomorrow.
    --JT
    That's dope! Got any pictures?
    Very cool, takes some technical expertise to make those. How's the lag on the HDTV?
    On my tv, I almost never notice any lag. It's almost 5 years old, so it doesn't really feature any fancy post-video processing effects that's a common cause of lag. On a rare occassion when I turn on a game, there'll be some lag; but for some reason it'll go away if I change to any tv channel briefly and then go back to the input source the game is on.
    --JT
    I wonder, because mine is a Samsung (about two or three years old), and while it has a "game mode" to reduce lag by about 30%, it's still very noticeable in timing-sensitive games. I've disabled all the post-processing effects, but even without them, the TV still has to scale the image up to fit the vertical panes and also has to de-interlace anything not running in progressive scan mode. For PS2 Garou, this looks really ugly because while in T.O.P. mode, the characters have permanent scanlines when they should be blinking rapidly - that's the case with any flashing sprites, like the shadows simulating transparency.

I haven't been able to circumvent those two things, so I stick with emulation. It's a shame HDTVs haven't really overcome this, they still have only have one or two native resolutions.

Do you have a CRT you can use?