"Get Ready...Survive!" The New Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread

Comments

• jt4mtbjt4mtb Mission Complete! Joined: Posts: 172
    Of course. There's two CRTs in the house; one I usually keep one supergun connected to, and the other is upstairs with my classic consoles. With my HDTV, I can't say I've seen any sort of problems like what you have *knocks on wood*. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    --JT
  • Milk StoneMilk Stone Joined: Posts: 200

Interesting music bug I came across earlier in the emulated version. Sounds really fucked up, but I hear parts of Jae Hoon's song in there. Can't identify the other layers.
    Alright, barring any technical difficulties, I'm going to try having a stream up sometime around 9pm EST and going until we get tired of playing. It'll be on my channel: jt4mtb on USTREAM: .
    --JT
  • Milk StoneMilk Stone Joined: Posts: 200
    Chat isn't loading for me.

EDIT:

Had to restart my PC for it to work. Stream quality is pretty smooth but it freezes every now and then.
  • HuBBsDoctorHuBBsDoctor GVN Fo Sizzle! Joined: Posts: 916
    Just want to give a big Shoutout to JT for holding that awesome Garou session last night/this morning. So hype.
    Mastermind of Gaming Vision Network
    The home of the GVN Winter Brawl and Summer Jam.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Thanks for your help. I'm still scrubby, but I will keep practicing to get my execution on point. Have to get the feint cancels down too.

I play on stick. I think it's easier to break Marco's DP with C, but I feel DP with A is a lot safer in case I fuck up. So...break DP with A seems more difficult since I'm pressing A twice (as opposed to plinking DP with C, A+B). My button presses get sloppy. I know I have to do it clean, but it's difficult.

Like Fayk, I also find that doing the DP motion early during an attack or jump kick is easier. After the attack is over, then I press A then A+B. It's weird. It's almost as if I'm storing the motion like guard cancelling. Anyone else vouch for this?

For example, if I'm on offense I'll do s.D, DP motion, then s.A, A+B. If I'm on defense and I have to DP on the fly, though, then it's more difficult for me to break DP since I'm not throwing out an attack beforehand. I'm pretty much tensing up when I break Marco's DP, because I have to do it so fast.

Try breaking it by HOLDING :df: when pressing A+B, that works for me if I try to break it without combo-ing into it.
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 565
    It was really great last night. Great when I can get out to play. You the man Joe.
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • djdellydjdelly JD ABC FTW Joined: Posts: 704
    so who all is going to be at EVO?
    DigitalGypsy
    "Don't worry Delly, hangovers dont exist at Evo. Something about the air..."

etkelley
    "djdelly: Conductor of the hype train."
  • GibyGiby SoCal SNK Joined: Posts: 742
    You know Noc and I will be there ;)

You better be there this year. If Amanda gives you hell I'll send you a pic of my chest to show her, that should keep her occupied for a few weeks/months.
    You know Noc and I will be there ;)

You better be there this year. If Amanda gives you hell I'll send you a pic of my chest to show her, that should keep her occupied for a few weeks/months.

Oddly enough I think the plan is for Amanda and I to fly in on Monday with her flying back to FL sometime on Thursday, so she shouldn't be giving me to much hell.... but i'll be sure to let you know if she wants the pics anyway ;).

I'll be booking my room next week and will be brining my Neo geo home system for some old school SNK salty suite.
    DigitalGypsy

etkelley
  • Emperor PaineEmperor Paine Hakkenden Sensei Joined: Posts: 363
    I live in Vegas so it's a given that I'll be there. I've also been telling the heads here and everyone is getting hyped for some Garou. Expect some extra heads to be playing. We should get enough peeps for a side tourney.

I'll also have my camera setup to record the hype matches.(like I do every year) Since I'm not jumping on any of the "major" tourney's this year, I'll be good for all side ones. I will be breaking between SNK and Arcana3 Hopefully the stations are close to each other
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    I was thinking about bringing the 360 version along. Unless the game comes out on PSN by then (which I doubt). The more setups the better though. If it does come out on PS3 then we should probably use that port. Most players there will have PS3 sticks at EVO. The majority of the games will be ran on the PS3 like last year. If you guys do bring a AES setup I'll have to bring my Neo stick along. I'm hoping there is a decent enough amount of people to run something. If not casuals is fine as well. I'll probably be mainly hanging the BYOC area anyways.
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • KerseyKersey Cyrax Wins Joined: Posts: 504
    I'd rather play on console just so I can configure my buttons.
    I was thinking about bringing the 360 version along. Unless the game comes out on PSN by then (which I doubt). The more setups the better though. If it does come out on PS3 then we should probably use that port. Most players there will have PS3 sticks at EVO. The majority of the games will be ran on the PS3 like last year. If you guys do bring a AES setup I'll have to bring my Neo stick along. I'm hoping there is a decent enough amount of people to run something. If not casuals is fine as well. I'll probably be mainly hanging the BYOC area anyways.

I'm bringing the Neo version and 2 neo sticks for sure.. I'll also have a handful of other neo fighters... ss2, ss4, KOF 98, Last blade 1 & 2.... MD3 and TSS. I'll have my PS2 stick in case the ps2 version makes and appearance. I've been informed that the mythical garou player that made his garou appearance at EVO two years ago will be there.... they say he's better than the Japanese... :)
    DigitalGypsy

etkelley
    I'm bringing the Neo version and 2 neo sticks for sure.. I'll also have a handful of other neo fighters... ss2, ss4, KOF 98, Last blade 1 & 2.... MD3 and TSS. I'll have my PS2 stick in case the ps2 version makes and appearance. I've been informed that the mythical garou player that made his garou appearance at EVO two years ago will be there.... they say he's better than the Japanese... :)

Alright coo. Better than the Japanese? Hmmm...I'll have to see that for myself.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    If we really do need another setup I can bring my 360. On it i also have SS2, KoF 98um, Kof 02um, NGBC. Also if anyone has a work "fatboy" ps2 I could bring Garou, KoF 98 & 02um's, Last Blade 1&2, WakuWaku7, and all my other SNK stuff.
    Like I said before. The more setups the better. Just bring what you can.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    more setups is great, but more players would be better. I know we have at least 7 players showing up right now, we need to bring that number up to 20 :)
  • HadoukenXHadoukenX Joined: Posts: 51
    Has anybody heard if garou is coming to psn?
    A couple of websites reported that it will be on the Neo Geo Station q1/q2 this year, but I don't know if there's official word from SNK on it.
  • FaykFayk OVAHDRIVE! Joined: Posts: 330
    So how welcome would people like me who are terrible at Garou be? :D
  • DigitalGypsyDigitalGypsy MN 3S Scrub Joined: Posts: 360
    The more players the merrier. I for one will spend the weekend intoxicated. I can't wait to see this mysterious Garou player. Betcha he's a chumpass in a ponytail. ;)
    Now he's just being a buttface.
    I'm still sorting out my money situation; if I can afford the trip, I'm definitely going to head out to Evo.
    --JT
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,235
    I'm going to Evo and would love to play Garou. I'm pretty shit though.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    I'm going to Evo and would love to play Garou. I'm pretty shit though.

It's no prob. Don't be afraid to join along. If you need help on something we can explain it to ya in person.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    There is about 10 of us here in Vegas that play so that will help with numbers.
    I'll give locks of hair to all if those 10 enter the tourney :D
    Would that be locks of chest hair?

If the tourney's on ps2 or a 360 there might be another one or two fl players willing to enter... They can't play on a neo stick or a 4 button snk cab :|
    DigitalGypsy

etkelley
  • the_judgethe_judge Can you feel the love tonight? Joined: Posts: 1,771
    Okay, so I wanna assume that the unified Garou setup will be 360 or PS2
    Because of annoying arse Microsoft, I won't be able to run Garou on my 360. So I will be bringing my laptop instead, which might have to be for casuals.
    PC elitist
    I'll give locks of hair to all if those 10 enter the tourney :D

LOL I'll hold you to that.
    PC setup would be good but only problem would be having to plug and setup buttons each time. I suppose it's the same as console but probably more of a pain. Best thing would be to have it set aside for casuals with 2 set stick setups on it. I'll see about bring my 360 then since even though my 360 is pretty old and it's all open. It will look like crap but still runs. It doesn't really matter what setup is used to be honest. I can adjust to just about any setup.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • jamiejame911jamiejame911 Ever learning Joined: Posts: 424
    We all know this is one of the most balanced fighters ever, but:

If you were to put your two cents in what balanced changes to each char would you make Noc?

-I think the windows should be opened up a lil bit on the feints and breaks, not do dumb it down but to make it a lil more accessible to the modern crowd. Not many people will spend days on those things and they are among the strictest inputs out there.

I will say that after a year of practicing Butt's dp cancel I can get it 85% of the time now. So yeah it does come with patience.
    Casually playing:
    SFIV: Fei, Yun
    ST: Ryu, Deejay
    SG: Valentine
  • FaykFayk OVAHDRIVE! Joined: Posts: 330
    I will say that after a year of practicing Butt's dp cancel I can get it 85% of the time now. So yeah it does come with patience.

I'm glad (in a sense) to hear this based on how much I miss it, being totally new to the game but maining him. I think the other day was the first time I break'd it correctly and actually had enough time to be "oh, I guess I did that. Huh, they're in the air. I guess I can hit them again *mash some random kick*".

Long way to go, but as someone who only plays the game occasionally and for 2 months (technically, but only a handful of times ever) it was still nice to see the progress, however slight.
    We all know this is one of the most balanced fighters ever, but:

If you were to put your two cents in what balanced changes to each char would you make Noc?

This was asked a while back but I'll just repost it here and add some other things I think should be tweaked to balance it better. This is more towards the engine and specific bug fixes. I think characters themselves don't need much change.

-TOP mode should be tweaked slightly or just remove it from the game. They should probably just give everyone the TOP attack as an extra special move instead. All they really need to do is fix the slowdown from TOP activation and have it so the damage is equal no matter the size of the TOP bar.

-Fix the throw escape bug. It doesn't just apply to Tizoc. It's just that it hurts him more because he needs throws for damage.

-Fix the slow downs that happen in game from specials. Specials like Jenet's dive kick special cause slow down or even Kevin's TOP attack. I blame the hardware since at the time SNK was using the max potential of the Neogeo hardware. PS2/360 versions did slightly fix the slowdown issues at least.

-Breaks should probably cost meter and same for guard cancels. Though I think they are fine as they are now. I know most people wanted it more like RB2. It would help remove Kevin's corner guard crush break loop stuff. The only problem with this is that now meter building will take longer for certain characters. Some characters need their break cancel to build meter.

-Have it so when you FC (feint cancel) it creates more push back during block strings or when you combo from them.

-Remove Kevin's special cancel and Gato's stomp cancel. They wont be able to build meter as fast.

-Remove the Jenet hit stun bug.

-Remove the Rock freeze bug that happens when Freeman hits him with his counter super. It's not really a huge deal since Rock can't be hit anyways when he's stuck. It's also a situational type of thing. Chances of it happening in a match is very small.

-Remove the 0 frame unblockable super bug.

I think those modifications would at least give certain characters better match ups and chances in the long run.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    I'm glad (in a sense) to hear this based on how much I miss it, being totally new to the game but maining him. I think the other day was the first time I break'd it correctly and actually had enough time to be "oh, I guess I did that. Huh, they're in the air. I guess I can hit them again *mash some random kick*".

Long way to go, but as someone who only plays the game occasionally and for 2 months (technically, but only a handful of times ever) it was still nice to see the progress, however slight.

I've just been practicing when I feel like it over the past year. On hit its all bout breaking when it connects. It really becomes pretty easy. The whiff is truly the hard one. I started the Gato stomp cancel this week and can get it 1 of 3 times. Gato is a character that really feels like he has weight when you play him. Even more so than Tizoc...

-Thanks for the input Nocturnal!

New A-cho vids and the grey Tiz is really making everyone look bad. What do you think of his style Noc?:

That blue Grant had amazing JDs imo. He really knew the properties of moves to be able to do that so consistently.
    Casually playing:
    That's pretty much how you are suppose to use Tizoc. Lots of poking, keeping yourself well spaced so they can't reach you and just being patient overall. Even though some of the opponents weren't using the throw escape bug. Tizoc still has problems vs good rushdown cause he doesn't have fast enough specials besides his 360 to GC or :d: + :snka: + :snkb:. All he can really do in those situations is to JD to create openings/gaps to be able to poke something out.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
    This was asked a while back but I'll just repost it here and add some other things I think should be tweaked to balance it better. This is more towards the engine and specific bug fixes. I think characters themselves don't need much change.

-TOP mode should be tweaked slightly or just remove it from the game. They should probably just give everyone the TOP attack as an extra special move instead. All they really need to do is fix the slowdown from TOP activation and have it so the damage is equal no matter the size of the TOP bar.

-Fix the throw escape bug. It doesn't just apply to Tizoc. It's just that it hurts him more because he needs throws for damage.

-Fix the slow downs that happen in game from specials. Specials like Jenet's dive kick special cause slow down or even Kevin's TOP attack. I blame the hardware since at the time SNK was using the max potential of the Neogeo hardware. PS2/360 versions did slightly fix the slowdown issues at least.

-Breaks should probably cost meter and same for guard cancels. Though I think they are fine as they are now. I know most people wanted it more like RB2. It would help remove Kevin's corner guard crush break loop stuff. The only problem with this is that now meter building will take longer for certain characters. Some characters need their break cancel to build meter.

-Have it so when you FC (feint cancel) it creates more push back during block strings or when you combo from them.

-Remove Kevin's special cancel and Gato's stomp cancel. They wont be able to build meter as fast.

-Remove the Jenet hit stun bug.

-Remove the Rock freeze bug that happens when Freeman hits him with his counter super. It's not really a huge deal since Rock can't be hit anyways when he's stuck. It's also a situational type of thing. Chances of it happening in a match is very small.

-Remove the 0 frame unblockable super bug.

I think those modifications would at least give certain characters better match ups and chances in the long run.

Do you think this would inadvertently boost already dominant characters like Grant and to a smaller extent Kain and maybe Jenet? I think Grant would def move up to close to S tier alone, if a lot of these changes were to occur which affect Kevin and Terry and def Gato (all having the most to lose). In the end, Grant would need some sort of direct nerf. I think his corner juggle with df C should then maybe cost meter also?
    Casually playing:
    Do you think this would inadvertently boost already dominant characters like Grant and to a smaller extent Kain and maybe Jenet? I think Grant would def move up to close to S tier alone, if a lot of these changes were to occur which affect Kevin and Terry and def Gato (all having the most to lose). In the end, Grant would need some sort of direct nerf. I think his corner juggle with df C should then maybe cost meter also?

I think the strong characters would still be in the same spots. I think Kain would probably be hurt the most with those tweaks. If you remove TOP mode and the 0 frame bug. He can't go for guard crush setups anymore. Terry would still be pretty solid I think. Gato and Kevin would still have good options even without building meter quickly. Jenet would still be good cause of her dive kick. The added pushblock from FCs wont really change her pressure game too much. People tend to complain about the Grant corner loop with :df: + :snkc:, but you have to remember it's something that only works in the corner. The main thing to note though is that with those tweaks other characters will get better. Tizoc wouldn't be as low tier and would have better chances in matches. I think the bug and engine tweaks would be a better option than to tweak characters directly.
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • ReigninAcaiReigninAcai SakNation Joined: Posts: 42
    Played this for the first time on XBLA tonight, simply amazing! Thankfully I have my brother to play against me. I heard the netcode is God awful, not to mention that there's nobody online to play with anyhow. Most of the people I know from SF4 online, haven't even heard of this title. If anybody wants to gamble and give the netcode a try and go a round add me.

Based out of So Cal
    Gamertag: SatsuiYesHadou
    SSFIV: Sakura
    3S: Ryu/Oro
    Garou: MOTW - Hotaru Futaba