Skullgirls~

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
Hi~ my name is o_8.

Some friends ( including some SRK members- Zinac is our main programmer :9 ) and I are putting together our own 2-D fighting game called "Skullgirls." There was actually a thread about it on here about a million years ago. We've made a lot more progress since then, rebuilding the engine into something that represents what we wanted more. We felt like now would be a good time to mention the game again, since we'll be having a work-in-progress demo available at the upcoming Anime Expo convention in LA, as well as future conventions, such as SDCC.

You can check out more info about the game at the website: http://www.skullgirls.com

Part of why we are showing the demo at conventions is to get people motivated about the project, as well as to show that we are making progress on it. We will also be looking for help in various parts of the project, including sprite art, animation, effects, and sound.

Here is an example of what the sprites look like so far:
This is one of the characters, Filia- she has a living hair monster attatched to her head named "Samson."
http://pub.tenkuu.net/Images/pixel/filia_sprite_colors.png

and here is an example of artwork of Filia
http://pub.tenkuu.net/Images/2007/filia_win_01.jpg

More info to come, eventually :0/ We hope to make a lot of progress on this project during this summer. Its a very exciting and motivational time for 2-D fighting games in general lately.

Comments

• TALrulesTALrules Sniffy Joined: Posts: 387
    the characters look really original
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,051 mod
    I can't freaking wait, I want to get my hands on Parasoul already!

Also dieing to see you draw Emi when you meet up with woof at AX.

:lovin:
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • SocketmanSocketman StandOut Joined: Posts: 77
    character designs are interesting, and the style of the character kinda remind me of a deformed "kingdom hearts" style or "the world ends with you".

what is the game ganna play like? is it more combo based like arcana hearts, or will it be more poke based kinda like 3rd strike?
    "I heard he just had his neck broken. That tree went all Ibuki on his ass... " - Rhio2k
  • HenakiHenaki Joined: Posts: 2,661
    me and woof are part of the team too!!!

im a tester/gameplay... guy.

wish i could say more! zinac is a great programmer and o_8 is a great artist!

if you have marketable skills and time to spend, please contribute!
  • mcginnismcginnis Smile :D Joined: Posts: 2,123
    Diggin Miss Fortune and hoping it's more combo based.
    "If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today."
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge The Age of Murder and Storm Joined: Posts: 16,176
    Parasoul and Cerebella are cool.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • Spooty WhiteboySpooty Whiteboy I must break you! Joined: Posts: 2,772
    Parasoul and Cerebella are cool.

It was original at the time. Sadly, it has already been ripped off by Windy X Windam. By the time Skullgirls comes out...it will be considered completely unoriginal.
    Live Tag: Spootz
    PSN: SPTwhte

"There's a complicated answer to that question. You see, I think we could all know Batman in our hearts, if we just intensely and obsessively study all of his comics, tv shows, movies...and..
    No. I don't really know Batman." - Dr. McNinja
  • Shotokan SymphonyShotokan Symphony FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX Joined: Posts: 1,703
    I really, really wish I could work on this game with you, o_8, but until I get some sprite experience(and, yeah, a new lappy), it ain't happenin'. But.. um.. does anyone offer lessons?
    "Though diminished by jets and telephones, each day the world grows conceptually larger. As a focal point, this big world demands a big house, with big people to fill it. When politicians and movie stars prove inadequate, only gods remain." - MiracleMan #12
  • AlterGenesisAlterGenesis new srk is trollin Joined: Posts: 3,454
    Good shit, fellas. Keep up the hard work.
    #ipressallthebuttons
    XBL: AlterGenesis
    PSN: AlterGenesisOP
  • FoldoutChairFoldoutChair Smiley Joined: Posts: 180
    Ah wow! I am looking forward to this!

You know if you're gonna do netplay or not and keep updating it with balance changes and patches or not yet? Because it'd be awesome for this to come out as a solid fighting game! I love the concept.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    it's 2011 now and if you are trying to read this thread from the beginning then lol
    http://shoryuken.com/content/skullgirls-coming-2011-press-release-3491/
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Looks interesting...I am def. gona get it for Painwheel, love that design.
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • pootnanniespootnannies numb the pain of numbness Joined: Posts: 3,085
    are you animating in flash or are you doing it on paper and then scanning it in. i'm not too interested in sprite work but i can help with the animation
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • woofwoof : - ) Joined: Posts: 2,503
    ^definitely not flash animation

also ya i am part of the sg team, you guys better play this shit or ill start making threads in sf4 forum
    so you animate directly with pixels first?
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

• Saotome KanedaSaotome Kaneda Watch your back Joined: Posts: 5,332 mod
    ^definitely not flash animation

also ya i am part of the sg team, you guys better play this shit or ill start making threads in sf4 forum
    which will get immediately closed
    Original Team Sp00ky Member - Only the finest of Poverty™ Gaming Hipster™
    Comic-Z vs Super Metroid Watch if you want to lose your mind
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,881 mod
    Oh man, 1 artist and 1 programmer. No wonder this thing has taken so long. Must be rough.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    so you animate directly with pixels first?

its hand drawn scanned made into pixel line art and then finished.

which is the same method pretty much every actual company that makes 2d fighters uses.
    by the way, when i say flash i mean drawing frame by frame with a tablet. it's much easier then doing it on paper. although most people are more comfortable using traditional pencil and paper

• GhostalGhostal カースヘッド Joined: Posts: 1,393
    I've got a few years (6 to be exact) of computer programming under my belt.
    I'd be happy to contribute seeing as how it's the season of summer.
    Just PM me.
    Jimmyjtran: shang tsundere
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,926
    I remember this shit. Looked kinda promising if maybe a tad rough around the edges.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,607
    it really looks interesting, and the sprite work looks really good :tup:, hoping to see a demo
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    I dig the art style. Very unusual and different.

I like Umbrella. She looks like the small-and-powerful-but-bad-on-defense kind of character.
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
  • AlzarathAlzarath Remember, salt is part of a balanced diet. Joined: Posts: 3,536
    Nice.

I like Filia and Parasoul ;D
    "For the amount of new players who play FGs, you won’t see nearly enough new talent in top 8s. This is because too many people are bitches." - Aris

PSN: not_alzarath (East Coast) | @AlzarathEX
  • COUMCOUM COUM Joined: Posts: 442
    congrats on not quitting yet, that you guys have been working on it for so long even with no end in sight is a really good sign for an indie project
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,072
    The new sprites look great. Good luck for your project!
  • FoldoutChairFoldoutChair Smiley Joined: Posts: 180
    I checked the old thread looking for what the mechanics are. Has anything changed since then? I'm curious about how it'll play. The Beast Mode idea seems pretty cool if it's done right.

EDIT: Also it's pretty easy to guess that Painwheel has super armor. Am I right?
  • nekichnekich donjon endjinn? Joined: Posts: 287
    Groovy, i thought the project's dead.
    And that sprite sheet looks yummy. How long did it take to draw one frame?
    Hey, old man, are they biting today?
  • Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,903
    Looks excellent
  • Zombie ShoesZombie Shoes bad at video games Joined: Posts: 772
    I like the art direction you're going with.
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,134
    The first time i heard about this project was in 2006, i was almost totally sure that this was dead. Nice news to see you alive guys.
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
  • TheVagabondTheVagabond Joined: Posts: 111
    Yay, it surfaces.
    "Apparently I'm wasting these 90-hour weeks trying to use my utter lack of knowledge about fighting games to ensure the tournament-worthiness of weeaboo wannabe sexist emo deviantart flash-game shit that's simultaneously ugly and low-framerate, is made specifically as fap material for neckbeards, isn't innovative at all, and plays like Clayfighter crossed with War Gods. " - Mike Z
  • <EDT3K><EDT3K> im on kid no 2 Joined: Posts: 240
    hmm relly nice, cant wait til i see the finsished product!
    BLAH BLAH BLAH!!
    i was here in 99'
  • b1gaznb1gazn SWAG Joined: Posts: 7,463
    :pray:
    The last 10 years playing MvC2, I can honestly say I still see things playing marvel now that I've never seen before. crazy - clock

I'd rather buy 6 copies of MvC2 than buy 1 copy of TvC3!

I am now playing ____ when _____ comes out I will be leveling up in that game, even if it is crappy because I am a gaymer!

LOL Super MvC3? The game isn't even a year old and they are already scrapping this game.

I want Ariel in SMvC3!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Wow I remember this from way back, anyways still looks great, can't wait to try out Painwheel and Peacock.Good luck.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,540
    i like the character designs.. they're quite clever for a loli-fighter
    i hope you'll get this finished and enjoy positive reactions.. it certainly looks promising :)
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,673
    i like it... looks very original :)
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • fallotfallot Joined: Posts: 1,475
    I wish it was Skullgirls and Kenshiro :(
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 PRAISED BEEF Joined: Posts: 54,611 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sounds like great competition for SFIV.

ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay

• ZazzariusZazzarius Shaaaaaaaa! Joined: Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    o snap i thought this died

good to see it back

perhaps i should get involved again . . .
    "Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts,
    with barest wrists and stoutest boasts,
    he thrusts his fists against the posts,
    and still insists he sees the ghosts."
  • chopachopa Joined: Posts: 932
    I enjoyed the breif run I had with the demo ages back, glad to see it still on track.
    Bleach DS2nd FC: 1547 1407 9810
    JUS FC: 1890 7151 3409
    Pokeymanz: 0301 6273 4857
    If you want a game in the above AIM/PM me
  • ShinRekkaShinRekka Remapping the Soul Joined: Posts: 63
    Love the art and sprite work...seriously awesome. :D
  • LeRaldoLeRaldo SFII'HF Joined: Posts: 415
    SG has my interest.
  • arstalarstal Joined: Posts: 2,968
    How are you planning to sell this?
    --- The folks who oppose progress in fighters are the Tea Partiers of the FGC.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Yes I would also like to know, u caught my attention as well.
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    How are you planning to sell this?

We are considering several different options at this time. All I can really say is that we are not ruling out any options.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,628
    Look kinda cool. LOL filia looks like an arcana heart version of female eddie.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    We are considering several different options at this time. All I can really say is that we are not ruling out any options.

haha i'm gonna hate talking like this.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    If you ever decide sometime down the road that you'd like to change the title of your game to a really terrible one, call it "Darkana Heart." :wgrin:
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    nicely done on miss fortune
    -Bulldancer
    You get to blaze medical marijuana in peace you lucky motherfucker. RIP bruv

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
This discussion has been closed.