I?ve gone through all the VS threads, looking for as much technical/in depth stuff(link combos, traps, useful character properties),? thanks to all the people who already shared what they knew(big thnx to Bizm)? I?m still missing a lot of stuff? here it is(I added stuff from all the recent VS vids that have come out)
so far, this thread is broken into 3 primary posts.
1&2. Character combos & notes/strategory(updated 11/17/08 thanks to Magnetomaniac, Skankingarbage)
3. General character strategies
4+. In depth characters
How to use this post
(in particular) this part of the thread contains most of the quirks and fancy things to do w/ each character. BUT**** some combos were taken from skillsmith... does that make them unpractical?... YES. in most cases. how do u use them though? create your rushdown w/ character XXX, and apply a part of w/e crazy combo is there. There are plenty of bnb's listed & not listed here though. so keep an open mind.
* ES?s are souped up specials; here, (EX?s are the souped up specials in 3s)
* EX?s are the supers(capcom should?ve just stuck w/ one system?)
*I use prefixes for my notation? just incase bitchy people come accusing me of writing it all down as a;slkjdfa;slkdjfasdf+super
s. = standing ___
j. = jumping ____
d. = dashing ____
c. = crouching __
D,F,B,U+_ =do that direction w/ the attack(i.ei, U+hp for iron man)-is a direction, as oppose to a character state(crouching, jumping, etc?)
AttackA/attackB/attackC= you have the choice between these attacks while doing the combo
WRR= wash rinse repeat..tho its become obsolete after time. anything in this case(even things that arent infinities) are now in this notation:
where xN means the combo can be done infinitly(for those unfamiliar)
-link combos(assumed that they are all linked, unless a + is stated? where in that case, the rest of that combo is chained, and that part is linked)
-gamefaqs contains movelists for each character. select characters & movelists have been described below/in the wiki
Donovan, Phobos, Pyron, Oboro B.:
They?re mainly not in VS, but SS vids have combos of ?probably from VC. I?ll put the critical ones up later, after the important stuff is done?
For oboro? I?m pretty sure hes banned in tournies, so I?m gunna hold off on him too.
- dash c.lk, +c.lp c.lk c.hk: dashing distance combo. starts low.
- c.lk c.mp(1hit) s.mk c.hk: chain combo that keeps good distance for normals to hit. use
after overhead or to punish something.
- c.lp c.lk, + c.lp c.lk, (+s.lp) c.hk: the +s.lp is optional if you started out very close.
it gives more red and white damage which is cool. you can also use the c.lk to avoid GC's at
a distance, so you have time to stop and punish accordingly during links.
s.lp, s.lk, +s.lp, s.lk, +s.lp, c.rk
*can start w/ s.lk, and end the main link w/ s.lk instead
[d.lp(or lk), +s.lp, c.lk, +s.lp]
-I cant rushdown with this particular string effectively yet, but realize the power in it. if you can do it consistently(when you want to... and yes, you shouldn't do it every time) then you can eyeball when to finish the combo, and go for knockdown->mixup. (i'll replace eyeball with that term.. i'm having a brainfart...)
*a safe chain ender seems to be c.mk. the frame recovery still seems to have anak at a disadvantage, but it's signifigantly safer than his other moves.(so you can do c.mp, c.mk[assuming the mp hits] & be relatively safe)
Ghetto throw setup:
blocked c/s.lps->ES throw.
-difficult to tell when the lps are stopping, & when the throw will come out.
- dash mp, +c.lp c.lk s.mk c.hk: one of his dashing link combos. c.lp is easiest to link
after a dash mp, s.mk can be replaced with c.mk c.mp or s.mp, but i choose s.mk for range.
c.hk to knock them down at the end and mix up.
- dash lp, +c.lp c.lk c.hk: don't press c.hk unless you confirmed the dash lp, c.lp c.lk for
a rushing benefit. this is an easier version of the next one i will list.
- dash lp, +c.lp, +c.lp c.lk c.hk: with this one you have a chance at avoiding GC's if your
body is out of the way. the amount of c.lp's you can fit depend on how close you are, but
when you push them back far enough just either c.lk c.hk or just c.hk after the lp's, both
- jump in lk hp (or hp hk on tall characters) c.lk s.mp(2 hits) s.mk (or 1 hit c.mk) c.hk.
this chain combo specifically puts you at a perfect distance for another bubble trap/mixup
loop. use it after near poison hits.
- poison gas, dash hk.
- near sonic wave, normal or ES, dash close then cancel and chain combo.
- bubble, sonic wave, dash back kick. simple special combo.
- bubble, water gyser, ES sonic wave, hcf 2k. damaging special combo, not recommended, but
Jab rush: [d.lp, s.lp, c.lp]xN
(effective, except against a good guard canceller)
HOD juggles- Can be rotated between sonic waves? can be thrown into the bubble trap
?Bubble trap/loop?- Corner knockdown, bubble, apply pressure, (they get grabbed), short gas, jump in->knockdown, WRR(can be countered)
[-The bubble trap may require meter, but with proper play, getting meter should be easy]
-imo this makes him top tier
Backward dash hops for 3 times(gives 3 options for his AA)
- c.lk, +c.lk, +c.mp xx qcb p: the combo timing changes. the link from the c.mp is very
different from the link from c.lk to c.lk. the best advice i can give for it is look at some-
one who can do it, and then press the buttons by the sound of it. her c.lk links pretty fast,
while you have to delay her c.mp for some weird reason.
- jump in mp mk, land c.mp xx qcb p: basic jump in combo.
- chicken guard mp, c.mp xx qcb p: easy chicken guard combo.
- c.lk, +c.lp, +s.lp, +dash lp, +s.lp, c.mp xx qcb p: one of her easier dashing link combos.
the +s.lp after the +dash lp is optional, you can go from the dash lp to the c.mp xx qcb p
to make it easier.
- infinite 1 (very hard) c.lp, +s.lp, +dash lp, [c.lp, +s.lp, +dash lp, +dash lp]. you can
start it out the way out of the brackets, but you need the commands in the bracket to get
closer and not let them slip away. the main thing you want is 1 dash lp's to get closer. i
don't recommend going for this or practicing it too much, it's not very practical to get too
much more damage than her basic combos.
- infinite 2 (very hard) c.lp +s.lp, [+dash mp, +s.lp +s.lp] : an even stricter timing than
dash lp infiniting. again, not practical and not recommended, but can be used once in a while
in casuals i suppose.
- infinite 3 (very hard) on demitri or taller characters, [j.lp mp mk hp land +dash lp, +dash
lp]: infinite with style, but not too practical either.
-infinities have ~2 frame window for links.
d.mp, c.lp, c.mp, +c.mpXXshyness strike
c.mpXX shyness strike
d.lp, c.mpXX shyness strike
c.lk, c.lp, s.lp, dashXXlp, +c.mpXX mp shyness strike (rdp+mp)
c.lk, c.mp, +c.mp, shyness strike
j.mk, lp,lp ,[lp, lp, lp, dashXX]x(2-3), [(optional)j.lk, j.mp, j.mk, ], s.lp, s.mp, shyness strike
s.mk, apple for you(untested, but seen)
Preferred dash in: s,mp, s.mk, s.lp(only hits high on some characters though)
- c.lk, +c.lp c.lk, +c.mp xx charge slash or ES spirit: note that the hp spirit will not combo, needs to be ES. this is the easiest way of linking sword normals into a special, while still getting good damage.
- c.mk xx hp spirit: your good low meaty combo. it combos and you can hayate after without them mashing out of spirit in time. if far then pull them back and dp. thanks to ihira for this tip -> on the number pad on player 1 side, 412 mk 36 hp will give you the c.mk xx spirit shortcut. me personally, i go to neutral then hcf hp since i was used to it that way.
- jump in mk hk, c.mk xx ES or hp spirit: to be on the safe side use ES spirit. sometimes the
jump in combo pushes the opponent too far for a hp spirit. but if you're close go for it.
- dash lp, +f+lp f+mp, +c.mp xx ES spirit: note that you don't have to do f+lp then f+mp. you
can just hold the forward from f+lp.
-d.lk, .lp, c.lk, c.lk, c.lk, low charge slash(B->F+k)
-c.lp, c.lk, +c.mpXX(charge)b->f+ HK.
-d.lk, +c.lp, +c.lk, +c.mpXX ES Fireball, into QCF+P move,into D,D,+2P ES move
-[+d.lk, +s.lp, +s.mp]xN
-d.lkXX lk chargeslash, +c.lpXX ES fireball
***Bishamon also has an unblockable ES Fireball which revolves around hitting an opponent at a certain distance with a
Dashing RH (doesn?t matter if it's blocked) and doing an ES Fireball immediately after.
- c.lk, +c.lk c.mp c.hk: a good chai ncombo that avoids GC's at a distance. c.lk c.lk c.mp
gives you enough time to react and stop if a GC comes out. his c.mp deceivingly whiffs DP
GCs at times.
- max distance c.lk c.mp c.hk: his chain at a max distance when you want to meaty, the most
common situation to use this is if the opponent techs your throw and you want to follow up
and meaty after.
- close s.hp c.hk: a close chain to easily meaty with and get decent damage off of.
- c.mk c.hk: c.mk from max distance alone can whiff GC's, it has a good animation. c.hk can
punish a GC if it has already been out long enough. this chain is used when in need of range
after a whiffed pursuit.
- j. lp mp mk hp, land s.lp or GC: this is a mixup i really liked to use. i put it in the
basic chains and B&B section because it's an air chain. but here's how it works. do the lp mp
mk hp at a good fast but smooth pace. if you do this right, you will get j.lp, mk when you
whiff the lp. if it hits, you will get lp mp mk. and then the hp at the end for extra block-
stun. if they stayed on the ground, you will get jump in early lp whiff, mk hp which you can
combo from cleanly. and if they jump and tried to chicken guard, they get the full chain in
which you can GC their chicken, or s.lp unblockable them.
-ES. Batdrill, lp, +lpXXES bat fireball, ES batdrill, million bat super
*in general, you can combo most things off a connected ES batdrill
-s.hp, ES Chaos Flare(firebat), +s.mpXX (ES) Demon Cradle(uppercut)
-(I personally think hes shallow combo wise? hes just keepaway, uppercut, keepaway, uppercut? boring imo? except for Midnight bliss)
- c.lp, +c.mp xx ES roll: her most damaging combo. not too damaging but it does make the
opponent feel uncomfortable.
- dash mp, +ES roll: time to time the ES roll while she's still in the air, then press the
punches as soon as you se her recover on land.
- after reset or opponent's wake up, meaty late dash mk, +c.mp xx ES roll.
- c.lp c.mp s.mk c.hk: her most damaging normal chain combo that reaches far. if you're too
far after a few ticks just go with c.lp c.mp c.hk.
- c.lp c.lk, +c.lk c.hk: two chains here connected. this is for smaller crouch characters
that whiff the other chain combo. like gallon, q-bee.
- c.mp s.mk c.hk: simple meaty chain if you're having trouble with wakeup timings.
- jump in or neutral jump punish with (j.lp) j.mk, land c.mp xx ES roll: use this if you
jumped with a neutral for mixup or are jumping in and know you will land a hit.
-d.fp, +c.mp, lp hopslash/mp rollingbuckler
-d.mp, +c.mkXXES rolling buckler
-c.lp, c.lk, +c.mpXXDancing flash
-c.mkXXplease help me(lk+mk)
*make sure you know how PHM works w/ the distancing of the buttons you press.
*works only w/ your back to the corner
-DF, [s.mkXXlp hopslash<catmidget hits>]xN, rolling buckler
-DF, [+c.lp, c.lk,<cat midget hits>, walk forward]xN, Dancing flash near end
-DF, [c.lkXXmp hopslash]xN, Finisher
*the cat midget is suppose to combo after the lk? doesn?t work for me? I?ll haflta practice on the dc to make sure it works.
**someone test this: for both DF combos, close ES delta kicks can be thrown in when close(close so that you hit them on the way up)
- c.lk c.mp c.mk s.hp: a damaging chain that leaves the opponent neutral
- c.lp c.lk s.mp c.hk: this chain avoids GC's at the far range of c.lp c.lk, which you can
- c.mp c.mk: his normals do good damage, this is usually used after some ticks and stuff to
early anti air/poke string and combo wtih.
- c.hp c.hk: easy meaty and decent damage.
- c.mk xx qcf p, up-forward+p: regular beast cannon combo, if they block don't go diagonal
up, go backwards. the up-forward combos if you hit.
- c.mk xx ES beast cannon, u/f, u/b, u/f, down: mid screen beast cannon combo on middle
weight and heavy weight characters which is the majority of the cast.
- c.mk xx ES beast cannon, up, forward, up, forward: mif screen beast cannon combo on light
- c.mk xx ES beast cannon, u/f, u/f, u/f, down: basic beast cannon combo on middle and
heavy weight characters.
- c.mk xx ES beast cannon, up, forward, up, down: basic beast cannon combo on light weight
1. Chain combos:
- C.Lp -> C.Lk -> C.Mp -> C.Mk
This is Talbain's longest range combo, because C.Mk actually reaches longer than his S.Hp. This sets you up really well do any random thing you want, too, because you're in range for a dash/jump-in/BC shenanigans, while being out of the range of most characters' normals.
2. Damaging B&Bs:
- Crossup J.Lk \/ C.Lp (-> C.Mp) XX Moment Slice
This is the only reliable way to land Moment Slice. Theoretically, you could land it without crossing up if you do a jump in and then omit the C.Mp, but it's more trouble than it's worth when you can just do BC bullshit for more damage. Only do this when you're crossing up, and DON'T use it on Q-Bee, cos the Moment Slice will whiff.
- Air BC \/ ES Climb Razor
This is a ghetto combo, and it does 39% damage to a character with average Vitality. Air BCs are not the safest thing to have blocked, so make sure that it hits them when you're very close to the ground. Also, don't try the Climb Razor if you hit the target airborne - you're just begging to waste meter like that.
3. Dash Combos:
- D.Lk OR D.Mk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mk -> S.Hp
This is the standard short hop combo. The chain I've written is the strongest chain you can follow up with that doesn't frequently whiff. It's theoretically possible to do just about any chain after a Short Hop, but you're likely to be pushed out of range if you do a 4-hit chain, so just do the one I listed. For Q-Bee, substitute S.Mk for C.Mk.
As an added note, D.Lk can cross up pretty easily against shorter characters (Morrigan, Lilith, BB Hood, Q-Bee, Talbain).
- D.Lk, D.Lp \/ C.Lp -> S.Mk -> S.Hp
This is a dash link combo. The advantage of Dash Links is that they're much easier to hit-confirm than Short Hops, but they don't work on every character.
This Dash Link is most important when you have an opponent cornered. You can use it mid-screen, but you're likely to go flying over your opponent - not a good situation. This Dash Link will whiff shorter characters during their crouch, so you might as well forget it.
- D.Mk, D.Lk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mk -> S.Hp
This Dash Link is more effective mid-screen, because you can start it from far enough away that you won't fly over your opponent. The catch, however, is that it doesn't work on as many characters. This Dash Link only works on Bishamon, Demitri, Anakaris, Victor, Jedah, and Rikuo.
4. Beast Cannon variations (aka what Mag actually wanted me to post, lol)
- Forward -> U/F -> U/B -> U/F -> Down, OR Forward -> U/B -> U/F -> U/B -> Down
This is the common BC juggle. This one will maintain your position on the screen, and allows for a pursuit afterwards. The second variation is mainly for if you activate the BC too close to your opponent - you can just fly past them and start the zig zag from behind them.
Finally, as a variation against heavier characters, you can sub the Down with a D/B or D/F. The diagonal will pretty much guarantee landing all five hits. You probably won't be able to land the pursuit afterwards, but who cares? :P
- Forward -> Up -> Forward -> Up -> Foward
This is a good juggle, because for one, it's slightly easier than the zig-zag in my opinion, but more importantly, you can put your opponent in the corner very easily with this one (as if he needs ANOTHER way to do that, right?). You can very rarely land the pursuit afterwards, but in my opinion, you shouldn't bother.
- Foward -> Up -> Up -> Down -> Up
This is the most surefire way to land all hits in the corner. There are some easier ones, like Fwd -> U/F x3 -> Down, but it doesn't work on every character. I don't actually know every character it whiffs, but for sure it whiffs Demitri and L.Rapter. So, my best advice is to just make a habit of that one. Be sure to do the 'Up Up' really fast, or your opponent will fall too low by the time you do the 'Down'.
- Forward -> U/F -> Down -> U/F OR Forward -> Up (when opponent is cornered)
The trick is to be really high over your opponent on the 'Down', and quickly change to the 'U/F or Forward'. This works because the game thinks that your opponent is blocking something both in front of and behind your opponent. Most people know about this and will not let you try. Do not try this against someone with a good GC, and be prepared for opponents to try and jump out of it after the second attack.
Also, random trivial info: I'm not sure how many people know this, but you can actually do the unblockable at mid-screen; however, the timing and spacing is way too strict for it to be practical, and let's be honest - no one is gonna let you get away with trying, anyways. :P
** beast cannon will be abbreviated as "bc"
j.mkXXj.bc, \/, ES uppercut
*this combo displays 2 things that people forget/dont see
-aerial moves are bufferable
-ES moves juggle(I thought it was ES-> special, but in this case, its special->es...Ill explain if pple catch this comment, and dont understand)
jump/dash in, lp, lk, lp, ES Uppercut
d.mp, d.hp, s.lp, +s.lk, +s.lp, uppercut kick
DF- [jumpin], c.mk, short hop(d,d+PPP), lp, mp, forward, lk, mk(last 5 inputs were his ?raging demon super?)?pursuit, or turn off DF
<corner>[d.lk, d.hp]xN, finisher-ES nunchuks(sp? don?t kill me)
-many combos ending w/ ES wolf cannon, can combo into an ES wolf uppercut
-I think, if you?re not attacking(which you should be), or are at a critical point in the match(near death), dp beast cannonXXaway+punch, does a decent job of building meter
-short hop= D+3K is a really short hop..
(*Notesome of its frames are invincible. I had an instance the other day, where my friend did ES soul fist, and I hopped through it... I was amazed)
- c.lk c.mp s.mk c.hk: basic close range damaging combo.
- c.lk c.mk c.hk: it's important to mix up with this since it hits low 3 times. c.mk c.hk is
also an option for hitting low and early anti airing at the same time, with good range!
- c.lk, +c.lp c.lk s.mk: his best far range combo after dash mp's and such. not so much good
damage but it adds up after being stacked.
- c.lk s.mk c.hp: this is ok if you're out of the first combo's range.
- jump in mp hp, dash mp, c.lk s.mk c.hp: this is a good jump in combo. i like his jump in
because it hits from full screen. so if Bishamon tries to spirit you can punish him with
this. you can also dash hp before dash mp for some extra hits and damage.
- dash over crossup hk, c.lk c.mp s.mk c.hk: this is good against small characters.
- dash mk, c.lk s.mk c.hk: good air to ground combo.
- dash hp: this is an infinite, but it's very hard to keep this going for a long time. timing
is strict, and it isn't recommended. but if you're going to use this, use it on victor and
bishamon since they can get infinited while crouching.
Ad.mp, +ad.lk, +ad.lk
*try setting up the ES spin scythe(his bigass projectile) to keep em on the ground? follow w/ unblockable super? WRR
DF: [F+[LP, LK, MP, HP]]xN
*need to be hovering barely off the ground
*jedah?s attacks lunge after wiffing a move in a a dash. So you can do d.mk, d.mp, and the mp will gain signifigant range. Groundash backward will make him lunge backwards
Magman's written guide: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XH0YZWB0
- c.lk, +c.lk, +s.lp c.hp s.hk: this chain is to avoid GC's at a distance on reaction. it
also strings with early anti air with s.lp. the s.hk at the end is to recover her c.hp sweep
- c.lk c.mp c.mk c.hp s.hk: her main chain combo after an IAD or to hit with.
- c.lk c.mp c.mk xx tenraiha: not easy at all to execute, but it's worth it to practice. it's
practical with practice and super dexterity, so if you're maining LeiLei go for it. in the
corner you can loop traps with qcf hp, c.lk c.mk c.hp chain to hit low all the time, then
cancel the c.hp with tenraiha (not as hard to execute) and the spikes will OTG you again for
- dash c.mp c.mk. or c.mp c.mk alone: this is used in dash mixups mainly, but it can early
anti air, and it's a chain you can use to confirm a sweep with.
- f+mp c.mk: this far poke avoids GC's, and recovers her spike ball faster. it's not used
much for a combo though, just to zone and poke with.
LeiLei's tricks aren't in her combos, she only has a few useful ones.
iadATCK, s.lp, s.lk, s.rk, mp, mp, UP
*the 2 mp's cancel the rk into heaven spike super
Dizzy opponent, hp projectile, iad.rk,(projectile hits), iad.rh, cont w/ ground combo
-2nd projectile after the shrunken(star?sry for sp) is always a dizzy projectile
-a sort of ?double jump? is done when properly releasing the air pendulum(by pressing K after lei lei begins to go up during the initial part)
-the spike balls on Heavenly spikes(lk, rk, mp, mp, up) can otg