The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

Comments

• gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, is there any benefit having the USB as well?

Nope, just use RJ45 for what you want.

You're right - in your situation there's no need for an IMP.
  • btanouebtanoue Joined: Posts: 19
    It also seems, I can't sue the USB from the PCB that came with the Stick right?
    So no Turbo and such.

In other words, you can't have both wired up, right?

btanoue
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 554
    i use the back/select hole on the TE to mount neutrik rj45..

and wire the turbo button to be the Select/Back :)

bAvFw.jpg
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    Very clever!

I might go that route.

You can't have both connected though. The original Mad Catz PCB and the MCC PCB right?
    Like use the USB that came with it for the PS3 and the RJ45 for all the other retro consoles?
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 554
    i use rj45 for everything, just let the ps3 pcb be there and just use it for the turbo/home buttons (MCCthulhu has better compatibility with PC's)
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    Thanks very much for the info. I can finally place my order on focusattack.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 425 ✭✭
    If you only use your cthulhu for pc/ps3 then usb is all you need?(no benefit to using an rj45?)
    Actually I plan on using it for my Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Wii (in GC mode)

So I need the RJ45 I believe.
    Does anybody on this site have 13' or so DC and GC cables?
    I don't mind buying them.

PM me if you know someone or post a link.

EDIT:

RJ45 -> DC
    RJ45 -> GC
    about 13 feet.
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 178 ✭✭
    I'm aware of Toodles' policy on sending the ICs out for the cost of shipping (I've read the entre thread.. yeah.) which is why I suggested it. I have sent PMs to no avail, hence the bumps.
    I ended up buying the IC on his site (via the PS3->MC Cthulhu upgrade kit), and left a note to contact me. He sent it out and still hasn't contacted me. It's fine if he thinks I screwed it up.. he could have atleast dropped me a PM or publicly called me an idiot over the thread. I understand how busy people can be.. *sigh*

I got the IC in the mail yesterday and it did the trick! The 2 Punch button now works like a charm! If anyone else is having an issue where button presses aren't being detected but voltage is going through the IC, replacing it is the resolution.
    THE Crossbone install tutorial. Now available on my MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

• PhattyPhatty CONTINUE? Joined: Posts: 365
    plugged in my stick one day and directional inputs started going crazy. Tried unlplugging the joystick, usb, neutrik boot, pcb wires. Checked drivers, went through both ps3 and 360 mode but nothing worked. Heres a video of whats going on.

So can anyone help me out here?
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭
  • VOLDOMVOLDOM Joined: Posts: 104
    A friend of mine is running a Soul Calibur 2 tournament, we chose the Xbox version since is the only one that does 720p, but soon as we started to set all the stuff we ran into what seems to be an incompatibility problem with our Cthulhu boards, neither of our sticks equipped with this PCB work with this game, any ideas of why is this happening?
  • DanAdamKOFDanAdamKOF Joined: Posts: 979 ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is running a Soul Calibur 2 tournament, we chose the Xbox version since is the only one that does 720p, but soon as we started to set all the stuff we ran into what seems to be an incompatibility problem with our Cthulhu boards, neither of our sticks equipped with this PCB work with this game, any ideas of why is this happening?
    Cthulhu doesn't do 360, you're either using the board for the wrong system or you're missing some details.
    Cthulhu doesn't do 360, you're either using the board for the wrong system or you're missing some details.

As he's talking about SC2 then I'm assuming this is in reference to the Xbox1

In which case I hope that he's using an MC Cthulhu, a suitable USB plug adapter, and updated firmware.

If he's talking about SC2 running via 360 emulation, then yes - you are absolutely correct.
  • VOLDOMVOLDOM Joined: Posts: 104
    Its the Original Xbox, the big black box with the green plastic on the upside XD, and yes, updating to latest firmware was the first thing we tried but no dice, My first thought was that it could be a problem with my stick, but after we tried all my buddies sticks with cthulhus, and neither of them seemed to respond once you fire up the game, software reset works, and the sticks worked perfectly with other games we tried, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and CVS2 EO, so it must be an issue with Soul Calibur 2.
  • DanAdamKOFDanAdamKOF Joined: Posts: 979 ✭✭✭
    d'oh, shows what happens when you read too quickly while at work :)
  • SWUDCERSWUDCER Joined: Posts: 3
    Quick question, trying to update my cthulhu, how do I start the device in "bootloader mode"?
    Quick question, trying to update my cthulhu, how do I start the device in "bootloader mode"?

It is all in the MC Cthulhu documentation and readme file in the Zip folder you downloaded. Please read.
    Thanks, what's the diference between cthulhu.2.3.1ms and the 10ms firmware?
    Thanks, what's the diference between cthulhu.2.3.1ms and the 10ms firmware?

The speed at which the device communicates with a PC/PS3. I'd say go for the 10ms version to play it safe, but I'm sure it's debatable. Use which ever version you like.
    Thanks again, I just used the 1ms one and it wasn't being recongnized by the PS3, I swapped the USB to RJ45 cable for another one that I had lying around and it worked just fine, weird.
  • Allen2688Allen2688 Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey i just got my PCB and i wired up my button box, it recognizes in my system's and device's folder and all the buttons work fine, but when i use it on a game nothing works! please help D:

the game i use it on is a racing simulator called lfs i have used other button devices on this game but decided to get this pcb cuz it was so nice!
  • ElvenmonkElvenmonk Joined: Posts: 6
    Hi I was wondering to get my Cthluhu MC to work with the Wii/U do I need to install a PiiWee on it or could I just make an R45J cable from a classic controller and get it to work that way? Also if I don't have a home button, will that cause a problem ifI need to PiiWee?
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,184
    Hi I was wondering to get my Cthluhu MC to work with the Wii/U do I need to install a PiiWee on it or could I just make an R45J cable from a classic controller and get it to work that way? Also if I don't have a home button, will that cause a problem ifI need to PiiWee?

you will need to dual mod your current setup with the PiiWee as the MC does not have native support for the Wii (only via GC). I'm not 100% if the PiiWee have support for S+S=Home, but i'm pretty sure it does

The PiiWee PDF explains how to enable Home so that Plus + Minus = Home

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/piiweewelcome.pdf
    Hey i just got my PCB and i wired up my button box, it recognizes in my system's and device's folder and all the buttons work fine, but when i use it on a game nothing works! please help D:

the game i use it on is a racing simulator called lfs i have used other button devices on this game but decided to get this pcb cuz it was so nice!

You'll need to be more detailed as to what you're playing and on what system and how you're playing etc.
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

• Allen2688Allen2688 Joined: Posts: 2
    I use it on my PC when i plugged it in, the driver says it was installing but then is said device was disconnected about 3 times then i went into the device manager and saw it there, and all interfaces (buttons) where useable, I was using this chip for a Sim racing game called live for speed as a button box, iv seen other people do this so i decided to try it out but when i connected it to the game it says it detected it but none of the buttons where responding in-game, please help
  • lvk96lvk96 Joined: Posts: 2
    I wired up my MCCthulu incorrectly, when view the MCCthulu's device properties in the control panel of the PC, I find that I've wired the joystick correctly and all the directions register correctly, but the buttons are unresponsive/wrong ones will engage.

Right now, even if I don't touch the fightstick, the button 7 will constantly be actively pressed down according the the MCCthulu's device properties. Button 2 would engage when I press the button I want for "short". Every other button does not respond according to the pc when I press them, just "short" and the constantly active button 7

Here is how I'm trying to wire the layout to be so when i play it'll look like this:
    Jab Strong Fierce Select
    Short Forward Roundhouse Start

^ Two end buttons i'm using for Select and Start, I'm not going to wire the 4thKick or the 4th Punch so i grounded both those two terminals by connecting both these terminals to a ground terminal. I also grounded the home button by connecting the home terminal to another ground terminal. Here is the current wire layout I have right now.

03122012179.jpg

03122012178.jpg

Sorry about the messy wiring, I'm pretty new this this.

So can anyone help me fix this wiring dilemma?

Thank you.
  • EdgeKunEdgeKun Two-Tailed Fox Joined: Posts: 158
    you will need to dual mod your current setup with the PiiWee as the MC does not have native support for the Wii (only via GC). I'm not 100% if the PiiWee have support for S+S=Home, but i'm pretty sure it does

The PiiWee PDF explains how to enable Home so that Plus + Minus = Home

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/piiweewelcome.pdf
    I've actually been wondering something similar to what Elvenmonk asked. While the PiiWee is currently the way to go, I'm wondering if there's any hope for a firmware update that makes "Classic Controller" an option through the MC Cthulhu. Mostly because my current sticks have achieved a rather zen-state* with their modding, and I'd prefer to simply use what I have installed without needing to add a 3rd board and without needing a cable running out of the box (in addition to the RJ45 port) etc.

* Feel free to also take this as "I'm lazy". =P
    Two Tailed Fox > Hedgehog
  • NeoChaosXNeoChaosX loves violin music Joined: Posts: 645
    I've actually been wondering something similar to what Elvenmonk asked. While the PiiWee is currently the way to go, I'm wondering if there's any hope for a firmware update that makes "Classic Controller" an option through the MC Cthulhu. Mostly because my current sticks have achieved a rather zen-state* with their modding, and I'd prefer to simply use what I have installed without needing to add a 3rd board and without needing a cable running out of the box (in addition to the RJ45 port) etc.

* Feel free to also take this as "I'm lazy". =P
    IIRC, the chip that the firmware is stored in is starved for space. To make room for Classic Controller support would require either getting rid of support of certain controllers in the firmware (Gamecube support seems like an obvious candidate, but at least one more system would have to be kicked off as well), or a redesign of the MC Cthulhu that allows for larger firmware.
    Fear The Fin

Project Justice: Yurika/Chairperson/Kurow | AE2012: Rose | BlazBlue CS: Noel | Soulcalibur V: Viola
    I use it on my PC when i plugged it in, the driver says it was installing but then is said device was disconnected about 3 times then i went into the device manager and saw it there, and all interfaces (buttons) where useable, I was using this chip for a Sim racing game called live for speed as a button box, iv seen other people do this so i decided to try it out but when i connected it to the game it says it detected it but none of the buttons where responding in-game, please help

Still dont know what PCB you're talking about, so thats a good start. Some games, especially older games may not support the 'PCB' natively, and you'll need to use a program like xpadder or joy2key to map the buttons to keyboard inputs to get it to work properly. Also, all of Toodles PCBs are detected as POV inputs, which some games may also not recognize, so you'll need to configure it accordingly.

snip
    smart post is smart

What he said.

^ Two end buttons i'm using for Select and Start, I'm not going to wire the 4thKick or the 4th Punch so i grounded both those two terminals by connecting both these terminals to a ground terminal. I also grounded the home button by connecting the home terminal to another ground terminal. Here is the current wire layout I have right now.

Sorry about the messy wiring, I'm pretty new this this.

So can anyone help me fix this wiring dilemma?

Thank you.

You do not need to short the Home, 4P and 4K buttons if you dont want to use them, so remove the grounds from them.

Make sure you're following Toodles Recommendation for button order and that you've actually connected the buttons to the right screw terminal. Button 7 is grounded somewhere, so check to make sure you dont have any loose or stray wire anywhere.

• PhattyPhatty CONTINUE? Joined: Posts: 365
    So can anyone help me out? There's a tournament this weekendand hopefully I can get my stick working by then
  • lvk96lvk96 Joined: Posts: 2
    You do not need to short the Home, 4P and 4K buttons if you dont want to use them, so remove the grounds from them.

Make sure you're following Toodles Recommendation for button order and that you've actually connected the buttons to the right screw terminal. Button 7 is grounded somewhere, so check to make sure you dont have any loose or stray wire anywhere.

Thanks! I got it to work!

Like you said, it turned out that some of the screw terminals weren't screwed in properly so they didn't make proper contact with the wires. I rechecked all of them and tightened the screws and now the fightstick works flawlessly.

I'd also like to thank Toodles for making such an awesome pcb, so that even wiring n00bs like me can make a custom fightstick :D
  • SkrawneySkrawney Joined: Posts: 90
    So I was planning on making a shmups stick, with a couple 555 timers so things are easier on the fingers. Will more than one of these draw too much power from an Mc Cthulhu and cause problems?
  • x86Daddyx86Daddy Joined: Posts: 2
    My searches haven't been fruitful, but I apologize if this has been covered before... "wii" is too short to use as a search term. :-(

Has anyone used MC Cthulhu with Wii homebrew like Retroarch, MAME, SNES9x, etc... successfully? Those apps are quite happy with normal Gamecube pads, but I've read reports of various games going sideways when people use things like PS sticks and Mayflash adapters as GC pads, because of discrepancies in how it handles analog.
  • SkrawneySkrawney Joined: Posts: 90
    The MC Cthulhu emulates the game cube controller iirc, It has differen modes. On default it does stick and pad inputs, if you hold start when you plug it in it does pad only. If you hold select it will do analog stick only. There is a smash bros mode too if you hold mp+mk, it has access to the c-stick with button commands. Try them out and figure out which one you like best. I found the analog stick was slightly off axis in analog mode.
  • snake_gravysnake_gravy Joined: Posts: 8
    Hi all, was having some trouble with my Chimp SMD interacting with my 360 controller recently. If anyone has had similar issues, or may be able to help out I would greatly appreciate the advice. The thread below has more details.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/chimp-issues-after-months-of-use.173305/#post-7802055

thanks much
  • alonzoramonalonzoramon Joined: Posts: 26
    Welcome Sheets:
    PS3 Cthulhu: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/PS3CthulhuWelcome.pdf
    MC Cthulhu: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/MCCthulhuWelcome.pdf
    ChImp: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/chimpwelcomev2.pdf
    ChimpSMD: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/chimpsmdwelcome.pdf
    Imp: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/impwelcome.pdf

MC Cthulhu newest firmware: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/cthulhu/MCCthulhu23.zip
    MC Cthulhu Variations firmwares:
    http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/cthulhu/MC_Variations.zip
    Cthulhu troubleshooting guide: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/t.46572/page-40#post-2271122
    Chimp troubleshooting guide: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/t.46572/page-85#post-2273436
    ChimpSMD newest official firmware: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/chimp/ChimpSMD12.zip
    ChimpSMD Firmware Variations: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/chimp/ChimpSMD_Variations.zip

Imp thread:http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/s.59232/

Q: I'm having problems on SF4 AE for PC.
    A: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/t.46572/page-163#post-5526956

Q: When using the Cthulhu on a PC, I see Select and Start are buttons 9 and 10, and the Home button is button number 13. How come there is a button 11 and button 12, but nothing ever turns them on?
    A: Buttons 11 and 12 are read by the Playstation 3 as L3 and R3, the 'clicks' when you press down on the analog sticks. Even though nothing on the Cthulhu activates them, we still have to send the information to the PS3 so that it believes we are a proper controller.

Q: Why won't the PS3 turn on when I press the Home button?
    A: When the PS3 is off, it cuts power to the USB ports. SIXAXIS controllers are the only ones that can wake a PS3 up from being off. No wired controller can ever turn a PS3 on.

Q: When using the Cthulhu on a PC, moving the stick around causes BOTH the X/Y axis to change, and the POV Hat to change to match. When using the Cthulhu on a PS3, moving the stick around causes BOTH the d-pad to change, and the Left analog stick to change to match. Why does this happen, and how could I change it?
    A: The Cthulhu is designed to do this; it's normal and won't cause any problems. This setup was created as a compromise between how PC games usually expect the directions to be reported (X/Y axis) and how the PS3 expects the d-pad to be reported (POV hat). With this setup, you can just plug and play on most if not all of the games you want to play on both PC and PS3. If you would like the stick to be reported as one and only one of those for whatever reason, hold down the Select or Start button when plugging in; I don't remember which is which, but one disables the X/Y and only reports dpad/POV hat, the other disables POVhat/dpad and only reports over the left analog stick/X/Yaxis

Q: Where can I access the D+/D- lines for a dual mod?
    A: D- (white) can be tapped in the D column. D+ (green) can be tapped in the E column.

Q: What is it?
    A: The MC Cthulhu is the multi-console version of the Cthulhu. It uses a more feature-rich chip that allows for the board to support more than just the PS3.

Q: So what's different?
    A: The chip is different, and it comes with diodes that help protect the console in case the cord is plugged into more than one console at a time. The green board is the same, all of the parts are the same, the pinout is the same, etc.

Q: What consoles will it work on?
    A: Currently, the MC Cthulhu will work on the PS3 (with all of the functionality of the original PS3 Only Cthulhu, so yes, it works just fine on PC), Xbox1, Dreamcast, Playstion/Playstation 2, Gamecube, NES, Super Nintendo, 3DO*, Sega Saturn and TurboGrafx16/PC-Engine consoles. Playstation support appears to work well with many converters.
    (3DO support is currently limited to being the only controller. No daisy chain support or support in a daisy chain.)

Q: What about Wii?
    A: The GameCube support will work on any game that supports a GameCube controller. (GG:AC, TvC, Smash Bros, Metal Slug Anthology, etc.)

Q: What about on Smash Brothers?
    A: Yes! The Gamecube support in the MC Cthulhu includes two different modes for Smash Brothers play. These modes are very experimental so feel free to speak up any input on how it could be improved. Information on how to enter these modes and how they work can be read up on here: Universal PCB (eventually) thread

Q: I have a Cthulhu, but I don't know if I have a PS3 only version, or an MC Cthulhu. How can I tell the difference?
    A: If the Cthulhu is assembled, just plug it into a PC and check the game controller applet in the Control Panel. The name should be very clear about whether it is meant for PS3/PC or is a MultiConsole version. If the Cthulhu is unassembled, look in the bag for a set of four diodes; MC Cthulhu kits come with diodes, but PS3 Only versions don't. If you're looking at just the chip, look at the first row of text on the chip; the PS3 Only version will have the text 'F24' on it, usually 18F2450. The MC Cthulhu will have the text 'F25' on it, usually 18LF2550.

Q: What about Xbox360?
    A: Nope. Xbox360 uses special chips to prove they're licensed. Until they get publicly cracked, I dont think its going to happen.

Q: What about console X?
    A: Maybe, but for now I need more feedback on the consoles already supported. No promises, no guarantees.

Q: If I buy now, and then you get console X added, won't I be screwed?
    A: No, you'll still be fine. The MC Cthulhu includes a bootloader that allows the firmware to be updated in the event a new console gets added.

Q: I have a PS3 Cthulhu now. Do I have to buy a whole new board?
    A: No. Upgrade chips are available. Installation is just a matter of popping the old chip out, popping the new chip in, and soldering the four diodes into place; if your Cthulhu already has the four diodes on it (board revision 1.4 or higher) then you don't even have to do that, just swap chips. You can find detailed instructions on the diode installation here:
    Select Your Power

Q: Where can I buy an MC Cthulhu?
    A: Godlike Controls
    Focus Attack

Q: How does the board connect to the console?
    A: The Cthulhu board has a set of unused holes near the USB jack, labelled with row 1-3 and columns G, A-F, and V. Each one has a specific purpose. For each of the possible consoles you want to use with your stick, you need a cable for that system (from an extension cord or dead controller) and you solder the wires in that cable to specific points on the Cthulhu.

Q: So if I want to play on PS3 and Playstation, I'll need 2 cables coming off of the MC Cthulhu board?
    A: Exactly.

Q: I don't plan on ever playing on a Gamecube/PSX/Xbox/ConsoleX. Do I have to put in that cable?
    A: Nope. Only put in the cable for the consoles you want to play on.

Q: So how do I install the Playstation, or Gamecube, NES, SNES, or Xbox1 cable on the MC Cthulhu?
    A: Instructables for all supported consoles have been placed. Easiest way to find everything related to the Cthulhu is to go to Instructables.com and search for 'cthulhu' which will bring up everything I've done, and a couple of cool knitting instructions.
    Gamecube: How To Install an Gamecube cable onto a Multi-Console Cthulhu
    PSX: How To Install a Playstation cable onto a Multi-Console Cthulhu
    Xbox1: How To Install an Xbox1 cable onto a Multi-Console Cthulhu
    NES: How To Install an NES cable onto a Multi-Console Cthulhu
    SNES: How To Install an SNES cable onto a Multi-Console Cthulhu
    A collection of all of them can be found in rtdzign's RJ45 thread:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/r.100475/

Q: How do I update the firmware? Where is it?
    A: A link to the most recent version is at the very top of this post. Read the included readme.txt for directions.

Q: I get a weird error when I try to doubleclick Bootloader.exe?
    A: Bootloader requires dotNet, which can be downloaded here: Microsoft .NET Framework

Q: What's the button mappings on all of the consoles?
    A:
    Spoiler:

Q: What about if we only want one cable on the stick at a time? Is there way to make removable cables?
    A: Yes. Please look into this thread which covers how to use RJ-45 modular connections for making cables.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/r.100475/

Q: You said the firmware on the MC Cthulhu can be updated. Can I update the firmware on my current PS3 Only Cthulhu?
    A: No. The PS3 Only Cthulhu doesn't contain the ability to update firmware. Even if it did, it wouldn't help; the chip in the MC Cthulhu is much stronger than the chip in the PS3 Cthulhu. There is a piece called the SPI module that is needed for most consoles that just doesn't exist on the PS3 Cthulhu chip.

Q: Can I order console cables from you?
    A: Sure. I have extension cables for Playstation, Gamecube and on hand; the same ones used in the Instructables. Price is listed below.

Q: Can I pay you a little extra to install them on the MC Cthulhu for me?
    A: I'm sorry but I just can't do that right now. If I had the time, I would, but the SF4 rush currently underway has everything crazy for everyone.

Q: Would it matter what kind of PS cord i use? Do I need a PSX cord or a PS2 cord?
    A: PS2 cord is identical to a PSX cord. If it plugs into the controller port on a PSX or a PS2, then it will work for this.

Q: What about converter support?
    A:
    Spoiler:

Q: What is it?
    A: The Chimp is a new board that combines a PS3 Cthulhu with an Imp into one board. It's made for wiring along side an Xbox360 pcb so your arcade stick can work on both 360 and PS3 cleanly and easily.

Q: What's different about the ChimSMD versus the Chimp?
    A: http://shoryuken.com/f177/greetings-lizard-lick-amusements-130032/index350.html#post9514577

Q: Why would I get a ChimpSMD instead of just getting a Cthulhu and an Imp?
    A: Lots of reasons.
    1. With only one board instead of two, the Chimp will be easier to wire up to the 360 board.
    2. Autodetection. The Chimp can identify when it is plugged into an Xbox360 and automagically go into 360 mode. No slide switches, no holding down buttons, just plug in and go on any system.
    3. Trigger inversion. If you want to connect the Chimp to an Xbox360 pad that requires the triggers to be inverted, the Chimp will handle this for you. No more transistor or inverter chip hacks.

Q: So why would I ever want to use a PS3 Cthulhu instead of a Chimp?
    A: There are some reasons for that as well.
    1. If you're going to mod more than just a 360 and PS3 pad together, you'll have more than one cable coming out of the box, and risk causing severe problems if its ever plugged into more than one console at a time. The diodes on a PS3 Cthulhu will help you route all of the power in a way that is safe in case that ever happens.
    2. The PS3 Cthulhu can be upgraded to an MC easily. The Chimp can ONLY support PS3/PC USB, and cannot and will not be upgradable to a Multi-Console version.
    3. If you prefer using the Xbox360 board when connecting to a PC, a regular Imp will make that easier for you. Using the 360 pad on a PC requires holding down three buttons (Short, Strong, RoundHouse) when using a Chimp, while the Imp used just the one button or slide switch, however you set it up.

Q: What about other consoles like PSX, Gamecube, and Xbox1 supported on the MC Cthulhu?
    A: They are not and cannot be made to work on the Chimp.

Q: Will there be an MC Chimp in the future?
    A: No. I simply can't. The pins that would normally go to the extra console cables are currently used to control the Imp chip present on the Chimp.

Q: How do I install the Chimp in my TE/SE FightStick?
    A: Here is the current wiring diagram. Definitely post up in this thread if there are any questions or areas that are vague:
    Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/5ychimpmadcatzp

Q: My X/Y axis moves when I hit a trigger button in 360 mode.
    A: Known issue with pads using analog triggers requiring inversion. Please read:
    http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-cthulhu-chimp-board-thread-mc-firmware-2-0-released-162026/index285.html#post9194306

Q: What should the button layout be?
    A: This is rather important, so please pay close attention to this answer. The layout that I HIGHLY HIGHLY absolute must insist upon is the layout from the original MadCatz sticks:
    For PS3:
    [] /\  R1  L1
    X  O  R2  L2
    For Xbox360:
    X  Y  RB  LB
    A  B  RT  LT

You can probably rig up things to use a different layout if you like, but they won't be supported.

Q: My 360 board requires the triggers to be inverted. What do I do?
    A: On your 360 pad, remove the two trigger pots. Try to keep middle pad of the pots intact if you can; the side pads can be ignored or torn without care, but it'll be easiest if you can leave the middle pad in place. Connect the wire from 3K_Invert screw terminal to the middle pad of the right trigger, and the 4K_invert screw terminal to the middle pad of the left trigger. If the middle pads got torn from removing the pots, follow the trace to find another point to connect the wires.

Q: Can I use a ChimpSMD in a stick by itself?
    A: Certainly. The only thing to keep in mind is that it will still try to go to 360 mode if you plug it in with Short, Strong, and Roundhouse held down. As long as you don't hold these buttons down when plugging it in, it will work just fine on PS3 and PC by itself without being dualmodded.

Q: I want to use the Xbox360 mode on a PC.
    A: If you hold down the Short, Strong, and Roundhouse buttons (1K, 2P, 3K) when plugging it in, it will skip the autodetection and go straight to Xbox360 mode.
    1. All pcb's must be common ground.
    2. All pcb's must be powered at all times.

Q: My MadCatz 360 TE/SE fightstick occasionally has a problem where the RT and LT buttons will stop working. If I replug, they work for a while, but eventually go out again.
    A: Known problem with 360 TE/SE boards, and happens whether it is dual modded or not. No known 100% fix. Suggest you rearrange buttons so you dont use RT or LT.

If you're interested in ordering, please try ordering from one of our online resellers:

Focus Attack
    Gremlin Solutions (UK)

If you can't find what you're looking for, or have other reasons to order from me directly, that's fine, but it really is preferred you go through a reseller when possible.

Q: How do I order?
    A: Easiest way is through the Paypal shopping cart setup: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/order.html

Q: How long to ship?
    A: Please allow 3 business days for packing and shipping out.

Q: How long will it take to arrive?
    A: West Coast: 2-3 days after mailing. East Coast: 3-4 days after mailing. Rest of world: 2 weeks after mailing.
    whats the best way to use minimal ground points with the non soldering mc cthulhu ?
    look for the ayzo
    wow quoting the entire first post? lol
    daisy chain your grounds on your buttons
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats the best way to use minimal ground points with the non soldering mc cthulhu ?
    Are we talking as the sole PCB or as a Dual Mod?

Ether way you do whats called DAISY CHAINING
    http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#SPLICING_AND_CHAINING

for being the ONLY PCB, just daisy chain your grounds for all your buttons.
    Only grounds you need to use are for your USB cable, and 1 ground for your inputs. If you want to you can include your Joystick's grounds to the daisy chain.
    I do recommend giving your joystick is own ground contact, using one of the gnd points near the directional inputs only because many fine its easier to manage.

As for a dual mod, is one of the input grounds connected to a PCB (ether the cthlhu or your other PCB usually a Xbox 360 PCB) you are fine as the only ground the common ground Xbox PCB needs to connect to the cthlhu/chimp is the Xbox 360's USB ground. A 2nd ground line isn't a bad idea, any point on the XBox 360's ground plane would work to connect to a free gnd.
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • CHIEFxIRONLUNGCHIEFxIRONLUNG Squaresoft purist. Joined: Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Had a quick question. I'm looking into modding my PS3 SE so I can use it with all the games I found for my PS2. I was looking into the MC Cthulhu but something never resolved in my head.

If the connector on it is USB (with A/B cord)...then where exactly does the RJ-45 console cords come in? I'm just breaking out in wanting to work on my arcade stick but everyone starts somewhere. Looking forward to doing LED work as well, pray for me.
    its not fine, but at least it makes sense. your a fucking retard if you cant even grasp that. only a retard would die for people they dont even know to increase these peoples bank accounts. now why dont you go and applie to the army retard, you would fit in quite nicely with the rest of them ignorant bitches.
    you need an imp to go with the cthulhu, and you connect rj45/usb to it
    If the connector on it is USB (with A/B cord)...then where exactly does the RJ-45 console cords come in? I'm just breaking out in wanting to work on my arcade stick but everyone starts somewhere. Looking forward to doing LED work as well, pray for me.
    you need an imp to go with the cthulhu, and you connect rj45/usb to it

technically you dont need an imp if you're not dual modding the stick with a 360 pad. he just needs to wire up the rj45 as per the link above and make his cables accordingly.

• CHIEFxIRONLUNGCHIEFxIRONLUNG Squaresoft purist. Joined: Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Thank you for the information, guys. I'm still trying to figure out how the stick and buttons connect to the Cthulhu as well as the keystone jack. It's worth a shot. Just looking for a decent solution to using my favorite stick on different consoles and not have to worry about cords shorting out for a while.
    its not fine, but at least it makes sense. your a fucking retard if you cant even grasp that. only a retard would die for people they dont even know to increase these peoples bank accounts. now why dont you go and applie to the army retard, you would fit in quite nicely with the rest of them ignorant bitches.
    once its in your hands it will all make sense.

• ezkialrageezkialrage Ninja Tech Graduate Joined: Posts: 127
    im having one slight problem with my mod and im not sure the forum to throw it into. I am not sure if its an Imp issue, a mc cthulhu issue or my xbox pcb.

basically, unwired my 360 TE stick, attached all the MC cthulhu wires, and then attatched the imp to that. I plugged it into my pc and updated the MC cthulhu firmware no problem. so i plugged it into the ps3 and bam, working great. i plugged it into the 360, and the xbox no longer recognizes the TE stick. i find it so odd since all the inputs get routed thru the og TE pcb and the PC and the PS3 can recognize it.

also, no matter what i plug it into, (pc, ps3, xbox), one of my turbo button lights is always on. and if i start up with the stick in LS mode, there is a feignt green glow under the home button, and the red turbo light is brighter.

tldr: my xbox 360 TE stick can be used on ps3 / PC but not the Xbox 360. any advice? anything im missing?
    Still Training...
    xbl: ezkial rage
    psn: ezkial_rage

Ibuki / Rose / Pink T.Hawk
  • AladarAladar Joined: Posts: 12
    Just wondering.. is there a way to make a Chimp controller work with NullDC? As far as I understood, the only way to map controlls is to make a config file with the exact name of the controller, but.. that's kind of impossible, when it announces itself in Windows as "ChImp PC/PS3 Controller", and you can't put / in the filename..
  • jugosojugoso FG enthusiast Joined: Posts: 179
    So I wired a McCthuluh with RJ45 -> usb and got it working on ps3. After a week it is not being recognized by windows and I can't make it to "flash mode" either.

The stick could've got some sunheat (it's summer time around here) during this week I wasn't at home, but I don't think it could've been that much heat.

Any suggestions?