The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

Comments

• gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    So I wired a McCthuluh with RJ45 -> usb and got it working on ps3. After a week it is not being recognized by windows and I can't make it to "flash mode" either.

The stick could've got some sunheat (it's summer time around here) during this week I wasn't at home, but I don't think it could've been that much heat.

Use a multimeter to test continuity between the Cthulhu and RJ45 jack. Also test whatever cable you are using to connect to a machine.

Failing that then go through the Cthulhu troubleshooting guide which should be in this thread.
  • Ian ConwayIan Conway Rocket to Rail Joined: Posts: 131
    Ok, so this thread is really long so I'm just trying to figure out what i need so that i can mod my stick

i have a 360 TE stick and i want to dual mod it for ps3. id prefer a solderless solution cause i haven't soldered before, but if its a requirement ill get over it. Just wondering what i need.

• VOLDOMVOLDOM Joined: Posts: 104
    Can I use rotary sticks such as the Seimitsu/SNK LS-30 with the Cthulhu?? where can I get the schematics for wiring this??
  • ChoppaholicChoppaholic Sometimes Down Never Out Joined: Posts: 143
    I recently got a hitbox...what's the difference between a hitbox edition cthuhlu + and a MC Cthulhlu?
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭
    the MC supports multi console whereas the cthulhu+ only supports PS3
    the MC supports multi console whereas the cthulhu+ only supports PS3
    can the cthulhu+ be upgraded like the Mc?
    I was playing my hitbox with the Hitbox Cthuhlu+ pcb earlier today and I noticed that some of the buttons are very slow to respond on SF4AE...I checked all the wiring going to the buttons and the buttons themselves and everything checks out..I also have a second regular arcade stcik with a MC Cthuhlu and it very reponsive..could it be the board?
  • NewGenNewGen aka SUPERDAVE Joined: Posts: 546
    my friend who can't make an account on this website asked me to post this

"
    Specs: Hori HRAP V3 VX + Chimp + Spark Optical Sensor
    Problem: Everything that I've plugged my stick into (PS3, 360, PC, PC w/ forced 360 mode) it doesn't register. On the computer it doesn't even show as a connected device although the lights on the Chimp light up accordingly. I then removed all the wires from the Chimp to see if that registered on the PC alone. It didn't so I followed all the tests in Toodle's post here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-official-cthulhu-and-chimp-thread-try-our-new-dreamcast-flavor.46572/page-85#post-2273436. I'm not sure if I needed to have everything screwed in for the tests as I did it with just the Chimp alone, but everything checked out except for the voltage on pins #5 and #6 on the small chip. The voltage was about 5 volts for both. I've uploaded images here: http://imgur.com/a/DyIlP. Please let me know if more information is needed
    According to the guide, this means that I need a new large chip. If I get one, will that make my stick work reliably again or is it better to just get a new Chimp? If I do get a new Chimp, is there a way to prevent this from happening again, or is this something out of my control?
    History: Bought the stick used from a friend and it was completely stock. Installed a Chimp and split the USB cable that came with the stick and screwed it into the chimp. The wires to all the other buttons were split and soldered with another wire to screw into the Chimp. The stock USB cable became unreliable (wouldn't connect) after a couple of months of use so I removed the stock USB cable, and drilled a hole in the case to plug in a USB cable to the Type B port. The Chimp has been installed for about a year. About 5 moths ago, I installed a Spark Optical Sensor."
    thanks for reading toodles, if you can help him out, i'll pass it on.
  • DR|WDR|W Joined: Posts: 8
    my friend who can't make an account on this website asked me to post this:

"Specs: Hori HRAP V3 VX + Chimp + Spark Optical Sensor

Problem: Everything that I've plugged my stick into (PS3, 360, PC, PC w/ forced 360 mode) it doesn't register. On the computer it doesn't even show as a connected device although the lights on the Chimp light up accordingly. I then removed all the wires from the Chimp to see if that registered on the PC alone. It didn't so I followed all the tests in Toodle's post here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-official-cthulhu-and-chimp-thread-try-our-new-dreamcast-flavor.46572/page-85#post-2273436. I'm not sure if I needed to have everything screwed in for the tests as I did it with just the Chimp alone, but everything checked out except for the voltage on pins #5 and #6 on the small chip. The voltage was about 5 volts for both. I've uploaded images here: http://imgur.com/a/DyIlP. Please let me know if more information is needed

According to the guide, this means that I need a new large chip. If I get one, will that make my stick work reliably again or is it better to just get a new Chimp? If I do get a new Chimp, is there a way to prevent this from happening again, or is this something out of my control?

History: Bought the stick used from a friend and it was completely stock. Installed a Chimp and split the USB cable that came with the stick and screwed it into the chimp. The wires to all the other buttons were split and soldered with another wire to screw into the Chimp. The stock USB cable became unreliable (wouldn't connect) after a couple of months of use so I removed the stock USB cable, and drilled a hole in the case to plug in a USB cable to the Type B port. The Chimp has been installed for about a year. About 5 moths ago, I installed a Spark Optical Sensor."

thanks for reading toodles, if you can help him out, i'll pass it on.

I was just able to register on SRK. ^ This is actually my stick so if anyone that can help would reply to me, it would be much appreciated!
  • P_$m0n3$-YP_$m0n3$-Y Puneta Caguena! Joined: Posts: 781
    need some helps plz...I have a new alienware laptop...which has that nvidia chipset where some sticks will not work...so my vshg dont work anymore and its dual modded by a brawl pad from j and j modding....i scooped up a hori vlx premium thinking it would work with the chipset but it dont. any one can help me get the vlx to work on my laptop plz.
    SSF4 AE 2012 - Main (Dictator) Secondary (DeeJay)
    Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/salvaboricua
  • Oroku SakiOroku Saki Joined: Posts: 9
    For the MC Cthulu, how big are the mounting holes? I wanna get some adhesive pcb mounts.
  • GohanmonGohanmon Joined: Posts: 16
    Before anyone refers to me any post about this, I've searched all over the internet for a solution...

I have a dualmodded TE (originally for XBox) dualmodded with a ChImp. It works fine on both consoles. However, when I went to my friend's house to play AE on the PC the stick was a lost cause. I tried holding the select button down method but it didn't work. I checked under the control panel arcade controller settings. It was listed as ChImp PS3/PC, the stick was registering ALL button/stick inputs. Both POV Hat and axis was registering without select held down, axis only when select was held down. The stick was not registering at all in AE for PC, which really confused me. We eventually gave up. Anyone have a solution? We prefer not to mess with 3rd party joystick to PC programs. Thanks in advance
  • xpulsexpulse Ice Ice Baby... Joined: Posts: 301
    Snip

Check the first post and make sure you follow exactly what Toodles described. On the other hand, I think you can force X360 mode if you hold LK/MP/HK (default) before you plug in your stick. I personally find that MUCH easier than fiddling with the button config and such. Once you're in X360 mode, SF4/AE recognizes the stick in the same manner as it is on the console.
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
  • GohanmonGohanmon Joined: Posts: 16
    counter snip
    Thank you very much, wish we didn't miss the part of forcing Xbox mode. Shit. Am I supposed to hold the buttons until I get to the button config screen to config controls and stuff, or can I let go as soon as its plugged in?
  • DR|WDR|W Joined: Posts: 8
    Snip
    You should be able to let go once it's plugged in
  • xpulsexpulse Ice Ice Baby... Joined: Posts: 301
    Snip Hard With a Vengeance
    Like what DR | W said. Whip out the wire, hold down 1K/2P/3K, plug wire into usb port on pc and look for lights to blink on the control panel. It should show you Player 1 being lit (unless you have multiple controllers/joysticks plugged in).** Release buttons and check "Game Controllers" app in Windows. It should say something close to "Arcade Stick/TE" (sorry, been a while since I've had to check). You should be able to do a button check and joystick directional check. If everything seems fine there, you should be good to go. Once you start SF4AE, the joystick will behave exactly as it would on the console. Everything is Default, so if you're cool with the base button setup, you don't need to configure anything. Happy Fighting!

**It should be noted that when you plug the joystick in for the very FIRST time into the pc, you will need to let Windows configure the drivers for it. It'll take a minute or two. After the first time, you won't have to worry about that again, unless you plug the joystick into a different port than you originally used (you'll have to go through drivers installation again). If your Windows is up to date, you shouldn't *need* to download any driver to get things working. If you do, there are plenty of resources for that in the rest of Tech Talk (just search!)
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
  • manoftheleafmanoftheleaf Tech Hit Tournament Series! Joined: Posts: 544
    I have a question and sorry if this issue has been addressed in the past. I dual modded a friends HRAP VX3 Marvel 3 edition with a ChImp this last spring/summer. It's been working until recently. The Xbox 360 side will not detect anymore from both the USB jack and the outgoing screw terminals on the ChImp. The 1st Player LED will come on but the device will remain unknown in the controller applet. I troubleshooted the Xbox side and it works as a stand alone and so does the ChImp.

Checking the continuity I followed the traces and I followed the signal from the XD-/+ to the small chip on the ChImp. They do not go all the way through. Continuity is lost right at the chip. I'm not sure if that info is relevant or not but it leaves me to believe that its something to do with the 'Imp' part of the ChImp. I'm not sure what caused this, but any and all help would be appreciated. All hail the techies!

EDIT: Forgot to include the type of ChImp; its a ChImpSMD v3.1
    No my tag is not a NARUTO reference! Its my last name translated from Hawaiian to English!
  • hipsterfonthipsterfont oTL Joined: Posts: 2
    So I bought a ChImp unassembled kit way way way back in the day (v1.1 on the PCB), finally put it together a few days ago. I saw there were updates the ChImpSMD firmware to fix various things like Start+Select not activating Home in 360 mode. I assume these will work on mine? I couldn't get a good picture that showed the IC.
    So I bought a ChImp unassembled kit way way way back in the day (v1.1 on the PCB), finally put it together a few days ago. I saw there were updates the ChImpSMD firmware to fix various things like Start+Select not activating Home in 360 mode. I assume these will work on mine? I couldn't get a good picture that showed the IC.

ChImp and ChImp SMD are completely different things.

I'm not even sure if you can update the firmware on the original ChImp board.
  • hipsterfonthipsterfont oTL Joined: Posts: 2
    ChImp and ChImp SMD are completely different things.

I'm not even sure if you can update the firmware on the original ChImp board.
    Can someone with a ChImpSMD give me the full model name/number off the PIC microcontroller? It's the big long chip mounted vertically in the center. I just want to know if the firmware is compatible. If I gotta burn it with a serial programmer I can. Heck, if I gotta recompile it myself I can always dump the firmware off my existing ChImp and check for bugs. I'd rather not have to if I don't though.
  • VIC_20VIC_20 Joined: Posts: 1
    I know I'm new here and this is probably a silly question, but I have searched around the thread and I can't find an answer, so here goes. I have 6 MC Cthulhu boards and I use them mostly for PS2 games. Everything always works great, until I tried "WWE All Stars" for PS2, it says the controller is unplugged. What's so different about this game? Is there something I can do to make this work?
  • MingoDynastyMingoDynasty PC gaming master race Joined: Posts: 5,471
    Where can I buy a ChImp SMD? GodlikeControls says it won't ship until like September...

Also after buying a ChImp SMD, is there any else needed for a dual mod on a Xbox 360 stick?
    Where can I buy a ChImp SMD? GodlikeControls says it won't ship until like September...

I think that's for last year, dude.

Also after buying a ChImp SMD, is there any else needed for a dual mod on a Xbox 360 stick?

Aside from the usual soldering? No.

• pablofsipablofsi Joined: Posts: 124
    What are the cons of running the 1ms firmware (using a high speed usb cable). Would wearing be greater? any risk?.
  • JessehJesseh Joined: Posts: 13
    Alright guys, I think I'm going to go for PS3 Cthulhu to go with my PS3 TE stick, so I can use the stick on my PC, that's how it should work, right? So, the welcome sheet says it requires no soldering? Is that for real? How is it connected then? Mind explaining, I didn't quite understand that part from the welcome sheet. So little more explanation would be in place, I think.
  • speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 716
    Can anyone confirm that Saturn is well supported by the MC Cthulhu and FGWidget ? I had trouble with a straight RJ45 to saturn cable and also inside a FGWidget setup. Both work well with a PS2 input/output.

And do I hate the new SRK theme/search engine

• EGeekoEGeeko Joined: Posts: 6
    This concerns dual modding a xbox 360 madcatz round 2 TE stick with the ChImp. After installing the ChImp, all functions of the ps3/pc worked great! When plugged into an Xbox it also worked, but there were a few issues. First issue: I cannot navigate the Xbox guide with the joystick. All of the buttons work fine and the Xbox guide button works fine, but I can't seem to move around the home and store. It is stuck highlighting just the game. Second concern: When the stick is set to DP, and I hold down on the stick, if I press or hold roundhouse, it disables my down input on the joystick. Instead of crouching roundhouse I get standing roundhouse. My last concern: so,e of the joystick directions have a delay as if I am holding them longer than I need to. This especially happens with left and down. If I hold left for 2 seconds, then go back to neutral, my character will continue to walk left for another second. Please help me. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to try to save this stick without having to replace that board with a Xbox fight pad pcb. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I disconnected everything, and then organized the cords inside, and then reconnected a different chImp, and the issues still occur. Worse part about it is that this isn't my stick... It's one of my friends... So I really need some help.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex HARDBody Joined: Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    So where is the psx cable I need for the Cthulhu ?  Is it a specific type?  Can I just sacrifice an old PSX pad (non-dualshock)?  Would the colors of the wires match up to the info on the instructable page?  Just want to make sure.  

Also, another thing, has anyone tried a PSX wired Cthulhu with a Laugh PSX to JAMMA converter (http://etokki.com/Arcade/PSX2JAMMA)?  
    Post edited by Pablo_the_Mex on
    So where is the psx cable I need for the Cthulhu ?  Is it a specific type?  Can I just sacrifice an old PSX pad (non-dualshock)?  Would the colors of the wires match up to the info on the instructable page?  Just want to make sure.  

You can use any PSX or PS2 controller cable (including extension leads). Official controllers tend to follow the same wiring colour schematics, but I'd recommend double checking everything with a multimeter anyway.

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Alrighty, having the weirdest problem with a dual-mod involving a ChImp SMD (the setup is MadCatz 4716 with a ChImp SMD).

With everything soldered together, all directions and buttons work, except for the Home button.
    When I press the Home button, the PCBs disconnect, so I presumed there was a short somewhere.

So I removed the wire connecting both PCBs' Home/Guide buttons, and checked each individually; both work fine on their own when the Home/Guide contacts were not bridged between the two boards (ie, the 4716's Guide contact works on its own when touched to Ground, as does the ChImp SMD's Home screw terminal).
    Putting the wire back between the Home/Guide contacts on the two PCBs causes the constant disconnection whenever the Home button is pressed.

I also tried this setup with two separate ChImp SMD boards, just in case.  The same 4716 was used, though.

I'm at a complete loss about what could be going wrong here.
    Any insight?

*EDIT* So the weirdest thing is that the same 4716 works perfectly fine (Home button included) when dual-modded with an MC Cthulhu+Imp2.  The only difference between the two setups is that I included the Trigger Inversion circuit with the MCC while I connected the signals directly to the Invert-4P/4K terminals on the ChImp.  Now that I think of it, this is probably the case, since it seems that the High signal on the 4617's triggers isn't 5V; took me forever to realize this when my Trigger-inverted LT and RT were causing the left and right analog sticks to jiggle slightly even though those were already centered.  Though I'm actually wondering why only the Home button exhibited this issue, and not any other button (especially the LT/RT triggers).

Sadly, I've already finalized the wiring and closed up the stick; otherwise it'd be interesting to try out the inclusion of the Trigger Inversion circuit and connecting those inputs directly to the 4P/4K on the ChImp rather than the Invert-4P/4K.
    The MCC in the stick right now is overkill for the owner (only uses it for PS3/X360), but oh well.  I might try this with the other trigger-inversion-needed 4617 that the same customer has.
    Post edited by FreedomGundam on
    Current stick: custom Modular ABS stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex HARDBody Joined: Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭
    gahrling said:
    Stupid noob question, so 
    You can use any PSX or PS2 controller cable (including extension leads). Official controllers tend to follow the same wiring colour schematics, but I'd recommend double checking everything with a multimeter anyway.

gahrling said:

So if I have a multimeter, how do I know what each wire is supposed to be at?  Sorry for the dumb ass noob question.  
    So if I have a multimeter, how do I know what each wire is supposed to be at?  Sorry for the dumb ass noob question.  

Use the PSX table. Identify which wire is which by using the multimeter's continuity setting.
  • promkingpromking Joined: Posts: 6
    I cant get windows to recognize m stick to update the firmware. I've tried everything, when I plug it in all four lights come on, then windows says there's a problem with your device...
    sounds like your USB is soldered incorrectly
    or, if you hold down LK MP HK does it force 360 mode (if you're dual modding)?
    Which USB should I use the 360 USB?
    Hook up directly to the board?
    Or RJ45 USB out?

Yes I am dual modding, it works perfectly on my Saturn, I don't have a 360 anymore.
    LK MP HK are which buttons sorry I don't play 360 or have Street fighter. 

I use the stick from Shmups 

Thank you.
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Barlog always wins Joined: Posts: 2,780
    How hard would it be to switch out an Imp v1 with a v2? I didn't make the stick. Just curious.
    ST/HDR: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk/O.Gief | USF4: Bison/Hawk
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero
    GGPO: x64 | Supercade: epistaxis64
    Yes it still works, I just wanted to update the firmware, so I could use it on my dreamcast.
    you should use the cthulhu or imp USB/RJ45-USB
  • ced64kced64k Joined: Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    I finished two new sticks with mc cthulhu. No problem with the ps3. But I have a strange problem with the rj45 gamecube cables. It works, but sometimes when I plug/unplug the cable, the wii power off immediately, like a short circuit :/

Solved : I crushed a pin when testing with my multimeter :D
    Post edited by ced64k on
    Making an XBOX cable. Where can I find the diagram to make one?
    I'm a little confused the only diagram I can find to make one is to solder it into the board... I can't make one RJ-45?
    promking wrote: »
    I'm a little confused the only diagram I can find to make one is to solder it into the board... I can't make one RJ-45?

IIRC it is the same as the USB out on an MCC. So if you have an Xbox cable then crimp it in the same way as USB.

• studtrooperstudtrooper Barlog always wins Joined: Posts: 2,780
    It might be cheaper to just buy a USB-to-Xbox cable.
    ST/HDR: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk/O.Gief | USF4: Bison/Hawk
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero
    GGPO: x64 | Supercade: epistaxis64
  • ced64kced64k Joined: Posts: 5
    Can you tell me the mapping for Gamecube (example for PS3 "1P: Reported to PS3 as ‘square’ button")
  • ElvenmonkElvenmonk Joined: Posts: 6
    I'm copy pasting this from the PiiWee thread since I figure it'd get looked at here:

So I have a stick with just a MC in it. I want to install a PiiWee in it.I want to install a PiiWee in it for my Wii U for TTT2 and various VC I have over the years. However I have a few questions.
    First I have no home button and was confused with the instructions of how to choose your starting stick. Do you mean I put a wire between home and ground, thus connecting the two? Also is it really needed?
    Then I was wondering without an IMP can I do an RJ45 port? It's not needed (I'm fine making a hole for the Wii cable to come out of) but would be nice.
    And last can I still run the buttons through the MC? Like where the buttons are supposed to connect to the PiiWee can I soder it to the MC like I would if I was installing a cable into it thus working with the RJ45 port?Or have it set up so the buttons can work with both? And if so for the buttons working on both how exactly would I do that? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to get a PiiWee so I wouldn't have to buy a new stick.
    http://m.instructables.com/id/How-To-Install-an-Gamecube-cable-onto-a-Multi-Cons/ Hey....I used this guide to have my Toodles Cthuhlu work on my Wii....when I plugged my fightstick into the Wii it shut down the console...I check all my wires for continuity and all is well but every single time this happens...I used the same stick on my ps3 with no issues...any ideas?
    your gc cable may be shorted somehow or in the wrong order
  • DacoTacoDacoTaco Joined: Posts: 26
    edited March 2013
    not sure if this has been said before or not ( couldn't find anything on google so ye :/ )but i have 2 issues with my cthulhu and atm which kinda irritate me. maybe some1 knows whats going on?

1) my nes cable is not working. it might be the cable (the connector itself is damaged but works when soldered to a snes controller...) but maybe its a known issue?
    2) when i connect the PSX connector (connected on the first row of the cthulhu btw, RJ-45 jack on second ) to an xtokki360 it wont do anything. if i unplug the cthulhu (but keeping the xtokki connected) and plug it back in it works fine... also a known issue?

(btw , i used a USB/PSX cable i got from my old mayflash stick. hence why PSX is wired directly to the cthulhu and not to a RJ-45 jack)

EDIT : btw, isn't there a better gamecube mapping (or different GC mode) ? i really dislike it that 2nd kick = A and not first. feels very awkward for me
    Post edited by DacoTaco on
  • DacoTacoDacoTaco Joined: Posts: 26
    i hate double posting, but its a added bump & notice for change XD

i connected a female RJ45 jack to the nes connector , connected it to a snes controller (which has a RJ45 jack in the same layout as MC cthulhu, so i could share the snes connector with my stick and keep the controller) and it worked. i connect the NES connector to the stick and it doesn't. meaning the factor of a broken connector is out of the question. what i did notice is that when i connect the stick the nes seems to get a signal everything was pressed (meaning according to documentation on http://pinouts.ru/Game/snescontroller_pinout.shtml , that the whole data line (pin 4, connected to C ) was pulled low? o_O;

PS : this is a pal nes im working with btw