The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

Comments

• LuCieDLuCieD mediocore SF player Joined: Posts: 26
    hi toodles, i'm new about this stuff

Ive got question here..
    is possible that hori FS EX2 to become dual mod (PS3&360)? coz i Heard EX2 pcb is not common ground. Any solution into this?

it's kinda off topic but I just curious coz i never see anyone mod xbox EX2 stick to become dual mod. Thx before
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    hi toodles, i'm new about this stuff

Ive got question here..
    is possible that hori FS EX2 to become dual mod (PS3&360)? coz i Heard EX2 pcb is not common ground. Any solution into this?

it's kinda off topic but I just curious coz i never see anyone mod xbox EX2 stick to become dual mod. Thx before
    There is a solution, but not one that would be cheaper than buying a MadCatz common ground pad. The MadCatz CG 360 pad have been used with the Cthulhu board to make a ton of 360&PS3 sticks.
    ·
    Alright, parts came in, all orders have shipped, and what I have left is all nicely bagged up ready to go out. I have 18 kits ready to go, any of which cane be made into a solderless version in moments, and one solderless already assembled and ready to go. Prices are same as listed in here:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5545036&postcount=43

Please note I am also open to trading for various stuff. Disgaea 1&2 PS3, Phantom Brave PS2, Dynasty Tactics 2 PS2, Disgaea 3 for PS3, MVS carts, 360 or PS3 games, Xbox live point cards/game cards, just about any CPS2 boards, the PCB from inside a Wii fighting stick, GBA SP or Micro, and all sorts of random eclectic stuph.
    ·
  • NumbskiNumbski I show off my balls. Joined: Posts: 910
    Okay - I'm just now finally getting serious about actually USING my UPCB. :P So I might not be the best person to ask, however...

Since you pointed me at the Arduino yourself, I can't help but wonder if an arduino shield might be simpler for you to make. Seems like it can read/write fast enough.
    ·
    Okay - I'm just now finally getting serious about actually USING my UPCB. :P So I might not be the best person to ask, however...

Since you pointed me at the Arduino yourself, I can't help but wonder if an arduino shield might be simpler for you to make. Seems like it can read/write fast enough.

The Arduino is simple enough that a stand alone board would actually take up less room than a full shield, and be cheaper than your normal decimelia.
    Using the Arduino/Atmega16 as a base would mean no full speed USB support like I have now. Speed of the actual chip, the Arduino is faster, sure (16MIPs vs. 12MIPs), but not enough to justify losing the debugging capability I have now,and the on chip USB tranciever. Believe me, it was considered, and is too a degree still considered.
    ·
    BTW - you've got money. :)
    ·
    The Arduino is simple enough that a stand alone board would actually take up less room than a full shield, and be cheaper than your normal decimelia.
    Using the Arduino/Atmega16 as a base would mean no full speed USB support like I have now. Speed of the actual chip, the Arduino is faster, sure (16MIPs vs. 12MIPs), but not enough to justify losing the debugging capability I have now,and the on chip USB tranciever. Believe me, it was considered, and is too a degree still considered.

Well, I'll work on getting my hot tub wired up (the new topside should be showing up today!), and after that - now that I'm semi-clueful, I might give it a whirl just for fun. :)

Search returns just a few results when I search for "sanwa flash" - did the upgrade board project ever pan out?
    ·
    Oh, btw - are you sure about size? I mean the arduino mini is just freaking TINY. Just a thought. :)
    ·
    Search returns just a few results when I search for "sanwa flash" - did the upgrade board project ever pan out?
    I'm making a few friends in the Mechanical Engineering college that have access to their rapid prototyping equipment, so there is still the possibility of getting the plastic pieces for the flash clone so I can finish it. There's still the problem of expense getting a mold made, but there's no sense in worrying about that until I get a proto or two made. Its still on the list of things to do, but is lower on the list than getting the Cthulhu board fleshed out.
    Oh, btw - are you sure about size? I mean the arduino mini is just freaking TINY. Just a thought. :)
    I meant compared to the size of a decimilia. Decimilia size is a little bit larger than the Cthulhu board. Yes, the -mini, -nano, and other small versions, especially surface mount versions, of the arduino will be smaller than the Cthulhu board; Most of the area of the Cthulhu board is there for the wide spaced connection points for easier install and so screw terminals can be used. If I wanted to forgo those and just use .1" spaced holes on the side, I could probably get it down close to the size of boarduino, but the goal isn't size. The goal is to make is as easy to use as possible, then as buff as possible without making it harder to use. The UPCB will always be buffer than the Cthulhu board, and 50% larger, but it is difficult for some people to install. The assembled Cthulhu board, like the one Im sending you (thanks BTW), is hands down 100% the easiest to install PCB into a custom stick. Put the wire in the hole, screw down, put a USB cable in the plug, and you're done. In order to get that kind of ease based off an Atmega, I'd be looking at the exact same sized board, and less reliable USB support.
    ·
    Instructable for assembling the Cthulhu board is up. Feel free to point out any problems or typos or unclear instructtions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_Assemble_a_Cthulhu_PCB/

I'll gather some stuff together and hope to make a dedicated thread proper over the weekend.
    ·
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    I should be getting at least one of those new PS3 PCBs in the near future. Are you thinking of doing a PS2 version? I'm also thinking of getting a UPCB, but I've just been extremely low on free time lately.
    ·
    I should be getting at least one of those new PS3 PCBs in the near future.
    Appreciated, they'll be here.
    Are you thinking of doing a PS2 version?
    There will be a multi-console version in the near future, and you can betcherass PSX will be one of them, but I dont have an ETA on that yet. I don't want to start selling multi console versions until I have a bootloader coded that will allow for firmware updates like the UPCB has. Then, I'll be be able to work on fixing converter support. Once those two things are done, I'll have multi-console versions of this board available. The board will be the exact same, but the chip will be different, so if you want to install a Cthulhu and upgrade to the multiconsole version, just pop out the old chip and pop in the new chip.
    ·
    Got my package! :woot:

Time to bust out the soldering iron :wgrin:
    ·
    Everything about this board screams quality.

Cthulhu_Domz.jpg

Thanks again Toodles :rock:

+rep for you dawg
    ·
    Someone asked me for an idea about how long assembly of a kit takes. I just clocked myself putting one together:
    10 minutes to assemble the kit
    1.5 minutes to solder on the USB jack
    2 minutes to solder on the screw terminals
    1 minute for wire trimming cleanup and inserting the chip.

So it takes me just under 15 minutes from start to finish on a complete board including all of the options.
    ·
  • ShinJNShinJN Point, Shoot, Video Joined: Posts: 832
    Ok, I'm sold on these. Will there be another revision to this board? If not, i am ready to purchase 3 complete un-assembled kits. Toodles, you have a PM.

Domz, how did you get the PC to recognized the board as "Handcrafted by Domz?"
    Jimmy Nguyen
    level|up series, Chief of Operations - www.levelup-series.com
    FightStick Tech Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/shinjnSRK
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5890858&postcount=6738
    ·
  • final_cutfinal_cut All day long Joined: Posts: 2,083
    Keeping in mind that added screw terminals and a USB jack will add something like $10-$15 dollars to the cost of each board, do you honestly feel it would make that big of a difference?

Yes. I would definitely buy one, it would make it so much easier to use.
    RIP Ol' Dirty
    ·
    Ok, I'm sold on these. Will there be another revision to this board? If not, i am ready to purchase 3 complete un-assembled kits. Toodles, you have a PM.
    Replied to PM, but I figured an answer here would be good for everyone: The board itself is the final revision. I don't forsee any need to change the board, even when I get a multi-console version done. For the PS3/PC version, the code and chip are finalized; there will not be any change to the PS3/PC code.

There WILL eventually be a multi-console version of the chip and code to be released whenever the hell I get time to work on it. The board itself will NOT change. If you have a PS3/PC version, and want to make it multiconsole, all you'd have to do is pop out the old chip and pop in the new chip. However, there is NO ETA on will this will be available because there's a lot of code to be written to make it happen.
    Domz, how did you get the PC to recognized the board as "Handcrafted by Domz?"
    That was a little bonus for people who pre-ordered. All of the Cthulhu boards now identify as 'Cthulhu PS3 Controller'.
    ·
    Nice and quick reply to post. Thank you for the info. And that is an awesome bonus. =)

Will read reply once it arrives in my box.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5890858&postcount=6738
    ·
    Mine got here really fast - 2 days after I paid. :)

I have 3 sticks "in the shop" getting assembled, and of course my primary stick that I'm *still* trying to fix the paint job up on. :(

But hey - I'm getting there. :)
    ·
    Yes. I would definitely buy one, it would make it so much easier to use.
    Prices, including the optional USB jacks and screw terminals, are available here:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5545036&postcount=43
    Parts are on hand and ready to ship out immediately.
    ·
  • RickstahRickstah chubby chubby Joined: Posts: 677
    toodles - as soon as i get paid you will have a pm with an order.

great work!
    ·
  • AnthuzadAnthuzad The 'thuzad Joined: Posts: 19
    Just a quick question, will this work with my Vista x64 ?
    ·
    Just a quick question, will this work with my Vista x64 ?
    Have I tried it directly on x64? No. I dont have access to any 64 bit machines.

However, I can tell you that the board, when connected to a PC, is 100% HID compliant. There are no drivers except the Microsoft HID drivers; so you KNOW there will be no 'driver signing' problems.

If you have ANY type of game controller, including PSX->USB adapters, that work without drivers, then the Cthulhu will definitely work.

If any Cthulhu customers have access to a Vista64 machine, a definitive answer to this would be nice.
    ·
    Ninja edit: thanks for the doc with board details. Toodles is the man.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    ·
  • dtampincodtampinco Noobius Maximus Joined: Posts: 182
    Hi Toodles, I'm pretty new to all of this, but I was wondering:

If I purchased one of your boards, would that be all I need to fix my broken Hori SC4 FS3? Say I toss the stock PCB, get some wires, buttons, quick disconnects and joystick, connect them to your board and I'll be good to go on my PS3? All without soldering. Do I surmise correctly?
    ·
    You would be correct. Just purchase the fully assembled board and all you have to do is connect the wires to the board, buttons, joystick and you are good to go. Toodles really has made it too easy to make a PS3/PC joystick.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    ·
  • dtampincodtampinco Noobius Maximus Joined: Posts: 182
    ^^^

Sweet!! I'll be PMing now! Thanks!
    ·
    Hi Toodles, I'm pretty new to all of this, but I was wondering:

If I purchased one of your boards, would that be all I need to fix my broken Hori SC4 FS3? Say I toss the stock PCB, get some wires, buttons, quick disconnects and joystick, connect them to your board and I'll be good to go on my PS3? All without soldering. Do I surmise correctly?

If you get the already assebmled $40 one, yes, installation won't require any soldering. Make sure that when you cut the wires connecting the stick to the PCB that you cut as close to the original PCB as possible, so you have enough wire length to get it to whereever you mount the Cthulhu board. Ditto for the small board holding the buttons on top for start and select.
    ·
  • AnthuzadAnthuzad The 'thuzad Joined: Posts: 19
    Have I tried it directly on x64? No. I dont have access to any 64 bit machines.

However, I can tell you that the board, when connected to a PC, is 100% HID compliant. There are no drivers except the Microsoft HID drivers; so you KNOW there will be no 'driver signing' problems.

If you have ANY type of game controller, including PSX->USB adapters, that work without drivers, then the Cthulhu will definitely work.

If any Cthulhu customers have access to a Vista64 machine, a definitive answer to this would be nice.

Thanks, that sounds good enough for me, guess I'll be dropping you an order sometime before christmas ;)
    ·
    Guys, the response has been overwhelming. All of the stock I have on hand has been spoken for. There is a number of boards currently en route to Chad at LizardLick, so with luck they should be available to buy from LizardLick.com in the next day or two. Having the boards available to buy from the same place everyone will be getting their parts from anyways seemed the best option for everyone.

If you're interested in getting a board, watch this thread for a little bit and I'll announce and link to them when Chad gets the boards.

I am extremely happy at how well received these are becoming. Thank you all. I just ask you post up pictures of the board installed, and write up any feedback, good or ill, for everyone to see.
    ·
    I would like to give mad props to Toodles for designing such an awesome board. I received my kits on Friday and immediately ripped into the box.

Packaging - A++
    Toodles throws in all the parts for each kit into an anti-static bag. As an added bonus, he even dry mounts the IC Socket for you. lol.

Quality - A++
    All the components are quality parts. Toodles ensures that what you get is a grade A product. Do not doubt this product.

Assembly - Too easy, but always double check before applying the solder.
    Assembling the board is a cake walk. All the solder points on the board are pre-tinned so all you need to do is apply the iron to the point and melt your solder to seal the hole. I recommend you get rosin core solder, lead or lead-free. If you can read and follow directions, Toodles' Instructables assembly guide is all you need for reference. It's an easy solder job that no one can mess up. After all the soldering is done, let the components cool down for a few minutes, especially the USB port. That sucker gets HOT. Inserting the chip will take a nice firm press to get it lodged in. Don't baby it but don't Hulk it in either.

Side Note: I picked up some lead-free solder from a local electronics store and was told is had a rosin core (the packaging didn't say so). So I began soldering the board using the lead-free stuff and hated it. The solder joints did not come out shiny and made my solder job look like a hack. I found some scrap lead rosin core solder and was only able to solder a portion of one of the screw terminals. These joints came out nice and shiny. Woot. I think I'll take my chances with the lead stuff.

Testing:
    I plugged my board into my PC and it immediately recognized it. No drivers needed. Before testing, I made sure to tape off the VCC terminal. Then I screwed in a wire to one of the grounds and then began touching each of the screw terminals to see if the buttons and directions were engaged. As expected, everything worked. I have yet to test it in an emulator because I am currently constructing my joystick cases. I do not want to gut my old ones because I am lazy lol. I will post gameplay testing results another time.

Pictures! http://www.flickr.com/photos/shinjn/sets/72157607768788327/

I personally recommend the Cthulhu board. I'm pretty anal when it comes to products and have a high expectation level. This board meets all expectations. This product gets the ShinJN Seal of Approval. GO GET ONE!
    Jimmy Nguyen
    ·
    I appreciate the kind words and pictures; hope you stay happy with the boards.
    ·
  • EskerEsker 41236C Joined: Posts: 402
    Side Note: I picked up some lead-free solder from a local electronics store and was told is had a rosin core (the packaging didn't say so). So I began soldering the board using the lead-free stuff and hated it. The solder joints did not come out shiny and made my solder job look like a hack. I found some scrap lead rosin core solder and was only able to solder a portion of one of the screw terminals. These joints came out nice and shiny. Woot. I think I'll take my chances with the lead stuff.

Lead-free solder requires a higher temperature to use than leaded, and will typically not come out with a shiny surface. So long as the surface is at least smooth without cracks or ripples, that's good enough for lead-free. It's just how it is.
    Scrub. I don't want no scrub.
    Scrub is a guy who can't get no wins from me.
    Mashing on his cheap-ass pad, getting really mad,
    Throwing a tantrum at me.
    ·
  • TingBoyTingBoy Tingaling Joined: Posts: 1,709
    Lead-free solder requires a higher temperature to use than leaded, and will typically not come out with a shiny surface. So long as the surface is at least smooth without cracks or ripples, that's good enough for lead-free. It's just how it is.

I always thought I was doing something wrong with my soldering =P. Ah well, everything I soldered together with lead-free stuff hasn't given me problems yet.
    ·

LOL. I wish I knew this before being so judgmental on the lead-free stuff. I did notice the higher temp requirement. I thought my iron was being flaky on me. Thank you for dropping some knowledge on me.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    ·
  • ulovemikerochulovemikeroch Joined: Posts: 1,802
    It says that start and select together make the PS button, but what about games such as T5DR that require both be pressed to exit whatever mode you are in?
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ·
    It says that start and select together make the PS button, but what about games such as T5DR that require both be pressed to exit whatever mode you are in?

Start and Select bring up the in-game menu ONLY if you have the home button disabled. If you use a dedicated home button, that's not a problem.
    ·
  • bitkidbitkid BiTKiD Joined: Posts: 685
    wow this is totally amazing. So this is basically an interface to wire up standard stick buttons and a stick to a PC or PS3 via USB connection? Awesome! I have been wanting such a circuit board for a while now but didn't know anyone that made one. I like the simplicity of your design Mr. Toodles. I will definitely be ordering one from Chad ASAP.
    Dat shit's hoopz n yo-yos dawg!
    ·
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,541
    this looks great, so basically i can play ps3/xbox360 if i dual PCB with the common ground right?? and with the upgrade you're doing in the future it will be PSX/PS2/PS3/Xbox360 by just inserting the new chip?? im really tempted about this i have a HRAP that i'd like mod so i can play mostly next-gen and ps2 instead of having 2 or 3 sticks :tup: :woot:
    USF4 - Rufus/Sim
    KOF 13 - Duo Lon/EX Iori/Shen
    ·
    this looks great, so basically i can play ps3/xbox360 if i dual PCB with the common ground right??
    Yup. Keep in mind, it still takes a bit of work to get it going, so that is NOT a project for a n00b, but if you've done a dual pcb setup before, you'll find it easier to do with the Cthulhu because the points you need to connect up are easy to access.
    and with the upgrade you're doing in the future it will be PSX/PS2/PS3/Xbox360 by just inserting the new chip?? im really tempted about this i have a HRAP that i'd like mod so i can play mostly next-gen and ps2 instead of having 2 or 3 sticks :tup: :woot:
    The Cthulhu will never support xbox360, so that would only be true if you have it dual'ed with a common ground xbox360 pad. If you dual the PS3 Cthulhu with an xbox360 pad now, and then the multiconsole version comes out, to support PSX you would need to pop out the old chip, pop in the new chip, and solder a PSX cable to the Cthulhu board to the points marked on the grid close to the USB jack.
    ·
  • Kaytrim's KustomsKaytrim's Kustoms Kustom Stick Builder Joined: Posts: 1,202
    Man am I late to the party. I just found out about these being offered on LizardLick. Figured that I need to subscribe to the thread. I'll be using these for sure in some of my builds. Too bad about the darn MS security though.
    Visit my site to see what I have for sale: http://www.kaytrimskustoms.com
    Visit my blog for updates: http://kaytrimskustoms.wordpress.com/

< AV by GuMz
    ·
  • TwinnissTwinniss Joined: Posts: 764
    wait wut, pop out old chip??

does the Cthulhu board have usb updating?
    A single Pot buster does 45% damage on Chipp with full life.

·
    wait wut, pop out old chip??

does the Cthulhu board have usb updating?

The current PS3/PC version does not. The future multiconsole will.
    ·
  • zombie cptzombie cpt sweet zombie jesus! Joined: Posts: 473
    First of all, huge props to Toodles for making this awesome little board that could.

While it won't win any beauty awards, this board can be made to be ps1/2/3 and xbox360 compatible. Just wire up a ps1 pad to a xbox360 like you were going to do a dual pcb, then wire them up to the ps3 board like you were going to do a dual ps3 and xbox360 via DPDT switch. I stuck the ps1 pcb to the back of the xbox360 pcb with double sided tape to reduce the amount of room the pcb will take up inside the stick. Here are some pictures to show you what I mean.

Front shot
    IMG_0333.JPG

Back shot
    IMG_0336.JPG

And if you think that looks messy, you should see my first one, way worse wiring in that one.
    ·
  • ulovemikerochulovemikeroch Joined: Posts: 1,802
    Holy shit zombie haha that's amazing.
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ·
    And if you think that looks messy, you should see my first one, way worse wiring in that one.
    Well done, man. You'll be adding the D+ and D- wires from the Cthulhu board later I assume? It looks like you have everything connected except those.

The part I think is cool about doing that is you can still use the easy to access points on the side of the Cthulhu to connect to the buttons and stick; even with screw terminals. :)
    ·
  • zombie cptzombie cpt sweet zombie jesus! Joined: Posts: 473
    Well done, man. You'll be adding the D+ and D- wires from the Cthulhu board later I assume? It looks like you have everything connected except those.

The part I think is cool about doing that is you can still use the easy to access points on the side of the Cthulhu to connect to the buttons and stick; even with screw terminals. :)

Yes sir, took me about 2-3 hours to get this point and I decided to call it a night. I will finish it up and post the finished picture soon I hope.
    ·
    Dang, that does look nice cpt.

Have people commonly done that direct linking of multiple PCBs? I was about to do one and thought I was being kind of creative. Guess not.

So can the Xbox 360 PCB use the same USB connector as the Cthulhu/PS3 PCB?

P.S. It will be amazing when the Cthulhu is PSX compatible.
    ·