The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

Comments

• stryderlisstryderlis Joined: Posts: 27
    edited March 2016
    SolDorado wrote: »
    Does anyone have any issues using a Chimp modded 360 TE with PS4 on Street Fighter V? It totally works, but jab/strong are inverted. I checked the wiring and tested on PS3/360 and they are not inverted. On PC, I just force PC mode (holding down short, strong, roundhouse) and it also is not inverted. I was thinking I'd just resolder and switch the connections of jab/strong (1P/2P) on the Chimp board since I don't play on PS3/360. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue. Also, I cannot get the guide button to work on PC. It doesn't show up as a registered button using device manager, so it probably means there's a short somewhere. I've read that I need to wire the HOME point to XGUID on the turbo panel of my TE R1.

The CHIMP worked fine on the ps4 on SFV via my modded TE stick. I don't have any issues with any button's being mapped incorrectly. I also got the brooks converter(white) now and it's pretty sweet. Sometimes my stick acts weird in legacy controls but 99% of the time it's fine, which is why i got the brooks converter.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,932
    edited March 2016
    On Microsoft OS

Guide button on Xbox controllers don't show up on the Controller Properties/Device Manager.
    Blame Microsoft for that one.

The Xbox guide button on Windows only works with select Microsoft applications.
    Its not even fully implemented in Windows 7, I can speak for Win 8/8.1 but it does being up a menu in Win 10.

Still does not show up in the Controller Properties screen.

As far as PS4 compatibility goes
    Sony Dual Shock 4 > Official 3rd Party wired controllers > Unofficial 3rd Party controllers/Converters > Legacy Controllers
    That said only the last category Legacy Controllers are the one that going to give you actual trouble.

As of now the Official and unofficial controllers are lacking all the features the Dual Shock 4 has.
    No tilt control, in controller speaker, headphone jack, until recently no touch pad or RGB Light.

Unofficial and converters are place where they are only because a PS4 firmware update can render the device unusable for the PS4.
    But the good thing is Brook Accessories been really good about getting firmware fixes for their devices in a timely manner. Usually in a few days at most.
    That said, I still really like how Brook Accessories converters work. Right now they are the only brand I recommend for the PS4.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
  • KarriedKarried Joined: Posts: 151
    Anyone know how I can transfer a ChImpSMD that was installed in my Xbox 360 TE-S to a Custom Stick that has a Paewang Installed?

I know I'm going to have to get rid of the Paewang but idk what wires I'm suppose to move from the TE-S to my custom, everything is already set up I just have to transfer it.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,829
    everything is labeled, just move that shit
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • KarriedKarried Joined: Posts: 151
    Vicko wrote: »
    everything is labeled, just move that shit

I don't know what to do about the wires near the guide button on the TE-S
    you're moving the chimp? Just remove everything connected to it and put it in the custom.
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Karried wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can transfer a ChImpSMD that was installed in my Xbox 360 TE-S to a Custom Stick that has a Paewang Installed?

I know I'm going to have to get rid of the Paewang but idk what wires I'm suppose to move from the TE-S to my custom, everything is already set up I just have to transfer it.

I don't see why you can't transfer the Chimp SMD.
    Moving Wires? How clean you want your build to look?
    Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,182
    I miss @Toodles
  • CasualGamerCCCasualGamerCC Joined: Posts: 43
    Was there ever a definitive answer on the TG/Duo support? I've taken apart both style of controllers, traced all the circuits, and tried every logical combination of wiring for the cthulhu and nothing works on either console. The main reason I decided to go with RJ-45 was to use a stick for the shmups on my turbo systems but I can't figure out how.
    Was there ever a definitive answer on the TG/Duo support? I've taken apart both style of controllers, traced all the circuits, and tried every logical combination of wiring for the cthulhu and nothing works on either console. The main reason I decided to go with RJ-45 was to use a stick for the shmups on my turbo systems but I can't figure out how.

I got a PC Engine (the Grey Core Grafix II model), but I haven't gotten around to building a TG/PC Engine cable for my sticks.

How are you going about physically building your cable?
    Are you Crimping a RJ45 connector to a Din 8 cable or are you soldering a Din 8 connector to a Ethernet cable?

Sometimes the Turbo Graphix/ PC Engine consoles are touchy how certain mods are in play.
    Like I know for a fact the Turbo Multi tap will not work with a extension cable in between the multitap and the console.
    But you can have a extension cable going from the Multitap to a controller.
    edited March 2016
    I have a mini din cable that I terminated with an RJ-45 connector as well as an ethernet cable with the big din 8 connector soldered to it. All of my other cables have been controller extensions that are terminated with an RJ-45 and everything else works. :/ I'm glad that there's someone else who's at least considering making these cables. Also, these cables are being used directly as I don't currently have a multi-tap. I'll buy one of those if it's confirmed that the Cthulhu won't work otherwise.
    I have a mini din cable that I terminated with an RJ-45 connector as well as an ethernet cable with the big din 8 connector soldered to it. All of my other cables have been controller extensions that are terminated with an RJ-45 and everything else works. :/ I'm glad that there's someone else who's at least considering making these cables. Also, these cables are being used directly as I don't currently have a multi-tap. I'll buy one of those if it's confirmed that the Cthulhu won't work otherwise.

I will look into the issue as much as I can and I will ask around. I doubt the RJ45 it self is the cause, but having a loose or poor connection could be a factor.

Oh, one thing came to mind, I wonder if snapping on one of those Snap on Ferrite Cores on to the cable could help?
    I have no idea about the core, but there are several in a box somewhere and I'll find one just to check. Thanks again.
  • FrakkinToasterFrakkinToaster Hurm... Joined: Posts: 373
    I've been trying to get a SNES cable working via RJ47 with my MC Cthulhu for years now and nothing works. I've redone the cable several times, reloaded the firmware on the MC Cthulhu, nothing fixes the problem. Has anyone had any success getting SNES cables working on MC Cthulhu?
    edited March 2016
    Edit: I ordered a Retro-Bit SNES extension cable and will update any progress I make.

I'll see if I have what I need to make a SNES cable. Which games did you plan on playing on there? Since I'm mostly looking to use this for shooters, Gradius 3 comes to mind.
    Post edited by CasualGamerCC on
    I love arcade sticks for everything, but for SNES mostly platformers like the Donkey Kong Country games.
  • -=Glottis=--=Glottis=- Joined: Posts: 4
    edited March 2016
    Is it in any way possible to switch between using the d-pad and joystick as input method for Gamecube? Because as of right now the Cthulhu seems to send the input signal to both the d-pad and joystick at the same time, which can interfere quite a bit in some games (Smash 4 being the immediate offender here, as taunting is done on the d-pad, can't be disabled, and takes priority over walking/running for whatever reason). I read in the FAQ that there's supposed to be a "Smash mode" i can enter, but i can't seem to find any info on HOW to do so, nor exactly what it entails. Would be nice to simply have one d-pad mode and one joystick mode.
    Is it in any way possible to switch between using the d-pad and joystick as input method for Gamecube? Because as of right now the Cthulhu seems to send the input signal to both the d-pad and joystick at the same time, which can interfere quite a bit in some games (Smash 4 being the immediate offender here, as taunting is done on the d-pad, can't be disabled, and takes priority over walking/running for whatever reason). I read in the FAQ that there's supposed to be a "Smash mode" i can enter, but i can't seem to find any info on HOW to do so, nor exactly what it entails. Would be nice to simply have one d-pad mode and one joystick mode.

I just did a quick google search for you and wow, it appears to have disappeared from the interwebs. I'm certain it exists however as I used to use it myself.
  • PappusPappus Joined: Posts: 18
    Hey there, I am using the old PS3/PC Cthulu in my Hitbox and it will lead to rapid disconnections during Streetfighter V. Would upgrading to MC Cthulu fix the problem or should the PS3 cthulu already be fine as is on the PC? Running out of ideas to fix the problem.

I know there is a way, but I don't remember how
  • FoxindarianFoxindarian Joined: Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm having some problems installing my 1.0 Chimp. I've soldered the USB wires to their corresponding holes in the Chimp, but when I conect it to a PC or a PS3, nothing happens... What is messing my mind is that I finished the dual mod and then, when I conected the cable to the PC, the stick is detected as a X360 stick, and everything is working fine (buttons, directions), but PS3 says Its an Unknown Device.

Seems like the Chimp is passing through the signal correctly to the 360 pcb... but why it does not work as expected with a PS3 or a PC? is like autodetection is not working... could it be damaged somehow? but in that case how could it work fine with a 360? don't know if I could try to force the conection as a PS3 device...

thanks!
    Your incoming and outgoing sound backwards

www.vickomods.com
    lol

That's what I thought, but I've triple-checked that my connections are just like in the Donovan Myers tutorial (https://www.flickr.com/photos/donovanmyers/4357111832/), with the external USB cable attached to the four "square-placed" points where the USB jack normally goes in a full assembled chimp. The cables going back to the 360 PCB are screwed to the chimp (5V and Grnd) and soldered in the XD+ / XD- lateral holes.

Is it possible that the board is malfunctioning or damaged, but still doing well passing through to the 360 PCB?

Thanks for the help!

That's what I thought, but I've triple-checked that my connections are just like in the Donovan Myers tutorial (https://www.flickr.com/photos/donovanmyers/4357111832/), with the external USB cable attached to the four "square-placed" points where the USB jack normally goes in a full assembled chimp. The cables going back to the 360 PCB are screwed to the chimp (5V and Grnd) and soldered in the XD+ / XD- lateral holes.

Is it possible that the board is malfunctioning or damaged, but still doing well passing through to the 360 PCB?

Thanks for the help!

You could still have the green and white wires completely backwards
    D- is White and Green D+
    Darksakul wrote: »

D- is White and Green D+

Yes, that was also a possibility, but everything is in the correct position: White cable to the Wht-D- hole, and green cable to the Grn-D+; and also XD+ to the D+ in the 360 PCB, XD- to the D-;
    I tried to disconnect again the 360 PCB, but still nothing happens when I connect only the chip to a PC/PS3...

D- is White and Green D+

Yes, that was also a possibility, but everything is in the correct position: White cable to the Wht-D- hole, and green cable to the Grn-D+; and also XD+ to the D+ in the 360 PCB, XD- to the D-;
    I tried to disconnect again the 360 PCB, but still nothing happens when I connect only the chip to a PC/PS3...

got photos of your wiring?
  • axledentaldj2112axledentaldj2112 Joined: Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    FYI: MC Cthulhu pcb in PS3 mode works with my
    ChronusMax Plus V2 (firmware 1.10) converter adaptor on my Xbox One with Killer Instinct Season 1,2 and 3. Sorry it took so long to report. Ive also informed Toodles of this. If your using it on the Xbox One dashboard up, down, left and right move too fast to select the correct thing your after.
    That's because you have to disable the mode where it does digital+analog at the same time

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Edit: I ordered a Retro-Bit SNES extension cable and will update any progress I make.

I'll see if I have what I need to make a SNES cable. Which games did you plan on playing on there? Since I'm mostly looking to use this for shooters, Gradius 3 comes to mind.

Any luck? ;)
  • -Tranquillity]--Tranquillity]- Joined: Posts: 39
    FYI
    The mc cthulhu works great on emulation station running on a raspberry pi 3. Only problem I had was in the menu of emulation station the directionals would occasionally double press on both my sticks running the cthulhu. Very annoing. Plugging in to the pi holding select or holding start to isolate the dpad from analog sticks won't fix the double presses, but holding p1 and k1 while plugging in to force the cthulhu to sega virtual stick does.
  • TommyTenchTommyTench Joined: Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    I've been trying to get a SNES cable working via RJ47 with my MC Cthulhu for years now and nothing works. I've redone the cable several times, reloaded the firmware on the MC Cthulhu, nothing fixes the problem. Has anyone had any success getting SNES cables working on MC Cthulhu?

I'm assuming you mean RJ45 and not RJ47?

With RJ45 i got mine working perfectly. I did have some weird issues when i plugged my controller in (it would disable both controllers, lol). I thought it was a solder bridge underneath the board, but it turns out i had stripped the wires too far and they were touching on the top side of the board (before they went into the soldering holes). So i just spaced them out so they wouldn't touch and now it works perfectly.

It took me a while to figure this out btw so if you have any other questions let me know; ive ran through everything in the process only to find out it was that

Does a standard USB to RJ45 work? Mine worked with a usb cable but not snes, making things even more confusing initially.

EDIT: I used generic SNES cables off amazon. A 2 pack was 6.99 prime or something
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 700
    You should do a continuity test in your McCthulhu.. if it works on PSX/PS2 and USB. then your MCCthulhu has all RJ45 outputs working fine. :)
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    Vicko, how do I disable that digital+analog mode? TIA!
    edited May 2016
    Vicko, how do I disable that digital+analog mode? TIA!

As you plug in your stick hold down Start or Select
    One will disable your Analog, one disables the digital

I forgot which button does which.

Assuming its for PC.
    For game setup in a game or emulator once you get your controls set up
    the next time you can skill the disable procedure and the game will ignore the extra inputs
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    Thanks Darksakul! Holding down my select while pluging my joystick into my ChonusMax thats in my Xbox one, disabled the extra inputs and I now can use the joystick just fine in the Xbox One Dashboard. Hmmm, wish this was setup by default, because if I unplug the joystick, I have to disable that mode. Which Im ok with.
    Thanks!!
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,091
    Was there ever any resolution over Teyah's allegations that the cthulhu lags?
    ST/HDR: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
    Was there ever any resolution over Teyah's allegations that the cthulhu lags?

Many people are just ignoring Teyah's findings altogether, there is many doubts about the legitimacy of his tests
    I would take the entire Lag thread with a grain of salt.
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 900
    Ok so something weird is happening. When playing anything if I hold all 3 kick buttons and then hit a direction my stick will randomly fire off lk or roundhouse. There's no shorts in my wiring and the board has always worked perfectly up til now.

Also it will randomly not let me hit all 3 kicks or all 3 punches. It'll recognize 2 of them but not always all of them. I can piano tap all day and not have issues but all at the same time causes strangeness.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
    Dracula_X wrote: »
    Ok so something weird is happening. When playing anything if I hold all 3 kick buttons and then hit a direction my stick will randomly fire off lk or roundhouse. There's no shorts in my wiring and the board has always worked perfectly up til now.

Also it will randomly not let me hit all 3 kicks or all 3 punches. It'll recognize 2 of them but not always all of them. I can piano tap all day and not have issues but all at the same time causes strangeness.

What game and what system are you playing in when this occurs?
    It could be a in-game bug and not a problem with your stick.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    Dracula_X wrote: »

Download joytokey and set the processing speed to x16 and bind your buttons.
    Then download Switchhitter and watch for intermittent inputs.

http://joytokey.net/en/
    https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

• Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 900
    PC/PS3/ps2 first noticed wired things playing dark stalkers resurrection on ps3
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • HanicIzKanioHanicIzKanio Joined: Posts: 3
    How long does it usually take to get a board after ordering?
    How long does it usually take to get a board after ordering?

a few days if you are in the US
    edited June 2016
    I am in the US and I ordered mine over a week ago, and I haven't even heard back about it. I just got the receipt from paypal and nothing else since.
    EDIT: Payment has already gone through also.

• sasquachsasquach MvC2 making a comeback 2017? Joined: Posts: 365
    I am in the US and I ordered mine over a week ago, and I haven't even heard back about it. I just got the receipt from paypal and nothing else since.
    EDIT: Payment has already gone through also.

I did hear Toodles kinda went AWOL back in January, but I'm not sure. I did order from him last December and got the order a week or two after. Try emailing him or message him on Facebook to see what's going on. Just give it a few more days to see if you get a shipping confirmation email. If the package doesn't ship and he doesn't respond to any of his messages, then call PayPal for a refund. Let us know how things go in the end, since I actually may need a Cthulhu soon.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
    sasquach wrote: »
    I did hear Toodles kinda went AWOL back in January, but I'm not sure. I did order from him last December and got the order a week or two after. Try emailing him or message him on Facebook to see what's going on. Just give it a few more days to see if you get a shipping confirmation email. If the package doesn't ship and he doesn't respond to any of his messages, then call PayPal for a refund. Let us know how things go in the end, since I actually may need a Cthulhu soon.

I sent an email a few days ago with no reply so far, and I just messaged on facebook so I'll update if something happens.

• MenSolMenSol Joined: Posts: 10
    I have the MC Cthulhu and it is kinda weird on ps3. When i plug it in it brings up the Controller menu, I can move up/down but buttons don't work and for some reason Start+Select doesn't bring up the home menu anymore. I did change buttons and stick a while back but haven't used it on the PS3 until now. And in the process i also removed the two L1+L2 buttons. All my buttons are serial connected to one GND point. Everything is basically as it should except i removed 2 buttons that i had connected before and it worked then.

Do I need to wire it differently or short the connectors I don't use or something for it to work properly?
    for the S+S=H function you need two solder points jumped in order for it to work.
  • MenSolMenSol Joined: Posts: 10
    The thing is it worked before. Before I had all 8 buttons, but after I installed new Sanwa buttons plus a new Sanwa stick I decided to get just flat plugs for the superfluous 2 buttons it started to act up like that. I did nothing with the PCB but had the now pointless two extra, worthless plugs just sitting there (I did tape them with electrical tape to make sure they didn't touch anything.).
    did you tape them together? lol

www.vickomods.com
    lol