The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

1201202203204205207»

Comments

• kev_the_bevkev_the_bev triumph. Joined: Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    does the MC Cthulhu board work with the Brooks adapters and CronusMax?
  • shingouki2shingouki2 Joined: Posts: 4
    sasquach wrote: »
    I did hear Toodles kinda went AWOL back in January, but I'm not sure. I did order from him last December and got the order a week or two after. Try emailing him or message him on Facebook to see what's going on. Just give it a few more days to see if you get a shipping confirmation email. If the package doesn't ship and he doesn't respond to any of his messages, then call PayPal for a refund. Let us know how things go in the end, since I actually may need a Cthulhu soon.

I sent an email a few days ago with no reply so far, and I just messaged on facebook so I'll update if something happens.

Any news? I wanted to order one myself.
  • Moreira_XMoreira_X Joined: Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    shingouki2 wrote: »
    Any news? I wanted to order one myself.

Second that. Since godlike is closed, is toodles making anymore of these?
  • 240pWOW240pWOW Joined: Posts: 7
    damn I was about to order 3 more! hopefully distributors come online soon...
  • wikidone0321wikidone0321 Joined: Posts: 79
    It looks like I procrastinated too long on trying to make my stick :/ The MC Cthulhu was going to be the logic board :(
    Emailed Jenni from Focus Attack they have stopped stocking it do to inconsistent stock. Hopefully Toodles addresses the issues and brings them back out. I was also looking at Piiwee board for Pokken Tournament, Smash 4, Tekken Tag 2, and TvC. Oh well. Guess I have to pad hack a GC controller.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,829
    Paradise arcade should have some of toodles' remaining PCBs. Otherwise, you can always find stuff in the trading post.
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Vicko wrote: »
    Paradise arcade should have some of toodles' remaining PCBs. Otherwise, you can always find stuff in the trading post.

Yeah I called Paradise. They said they were out right now but should get some in the next couple of weeks :smiley:
  • Forum ViewerForum Viewer cute butthole Joined: Posts: 234
    Hey guys, does anyone here know what's going on with ths MC Cthulu's directional input?

It seems my Cthulu is registering directional inputs from the analog stick, rather than the dpad.

I noticed this when playing Scenario Campaign in Tekken 6. My character moved around in Free Movement (which is permanently bound to Left Analog Stick) when using my Cthulu stick. But my other sticks worked normally, the character moved around in the normal fighting stance that you get from d-pad inputs.

Additionally, I noticed an issue in Tekken Tag 1 HD (part of Tekken Hybrid) that would not let move the cursor up and down at the character selection screen, but would work perfectly fine again in a match or in the main menu. This issue is the same when using the analog stick on a DS3.

Aside from all of that, I noticed there is an increased delay with character movements on my Cthulu sticks. Compared to my other sticks, my movements felt a lot slower. I ran some input delay tests in 3SO's parrying mini game, and it seems my Cthulu sticks was slower to the ball than my other sticks.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I heard there's a fix where you can force the MC Cthulu into d-pad or analog mode by holding start or select when plugging the stick in, but I unno if that's tru.

Have to page @Toodles to see if he knows the problem.
    Rick Ross alt
    Rising Tacos since July 5th, 1994
    Viewing forums since November 23rd, 1996
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 696
    Cthulhu moves POV and X/Y Axis (dpad and left analog) at the same time..

to tell cthulhu to do one of those, you must plug the cthulhu USB cable with Start/Select button pressed (one of those, don't remember which one did what thing). Really easy to test..

if it doesn't, you might need to update your cthulhu.

Good luck!
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    answered first post... lol
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • Antonio-o-oAntonio-o-o Joined: Posts: 306
    Does the Imp v2 add any additional processing? By that, I'm asking if it would introduce any additional latency.
  • sasquachsasquach MvC2 making a comeback 2017? Joined: Posts: 364
    Does the Imp v2 add any additional processing? By that, I'm asking if it would introduce any additional latency.

No it won't, it's only switching the data wires from one PCB to the other. It won't affect inputs at all.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
  • Antonio-o-oAntonio-o-o Joined: Posts: 306
    @sasquach

Thanks.
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    edited September 2016
    I'm really struggling getting reliable connections on the screw terminals of my PC/PS3 Cthulu. I have to fold the bare cable and clamp it down really hard to even get it to register for whatever guage the JLF harness is :(

Also, does it cause problems having analog and digital registering at the same time (SFV)? It's almost impossible for me to hold buttons while I plug it in due to my setup (otherside of the room, plugged into an extension).
    Post edited by thecapsaicinkid on
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
    I'm really struggling getting reliable connections on the screw terminals of my PC/PS3 Cthulu. I have to fold the bare cable and clamp it down really hard to even get it to register for whatever guage the JLF harness is :(

Also, does it cause problems having analog and digital registering at the same time (SFV)? It's almost impossible for me to hold buttons while I plug it in due to my setup (otherside of the room, plugged into an extension).

pics of your wiring?

Also, can't you hold the button while plugging it into the extension? Shouldn't be an issue either way though

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • SirSerpaSirSerpa Joined: Posts: 93
    Just reinstalled my ChimpSMD into an old shell and it's acting a little funny. It works just fine on PC, but isn't recognized on my PS3 or PS4 (via Legacy Support). Any thoughts?
    Skrull Invasion
    "Just remember when you're not practicing that someone somewhere is and when you meet them, they will win." -Ed Macauley
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,750
    SirSerpa wrote: »
    Just reinstalled my ChimpSMD into an old shell and it's acting a little funny. It works just fine on PC, but isn't recognized on my PS3 or PS4 (via Legacy Support). Any thoughts?

So it works fine in your PC but not your PS3?

Is your ChimpSMD dual modded with anything?
    And if it is what the stick is being identified on your PC as? The Chimp or what ever Xbox 360 PCB you are using?
    Never pay double the retail price
    100% Working on PC. Used to be dualmodded to the TE2 360 PCBs but now its just the Chimp. On PC it is recognized as PC/PS3 Chimp.

Thanks for your help!
    Skrull Invasion
    "Just remember when you're not practicing that someone somewhere is and when you meet them, they will win." -Ed Macauley
    What color is the light when plugged into a ps3?

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Both Red and Blue when plugged into PC or PS3.
    Skrull Invasion
    SirSerpa wrote: »
    Both Red and Blue when plugged into PC or PS3.

Try a shorter/different USB and see if that helps

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • axelito397axelito397 Joined: Posts: 3
    I'm trying to build a stick for my dreamcast and Joey from focus attack send me here. I'm new at this to be honest. I asked for the Ps360+ and he said that akishop is no longer producing it and my only option would be Cthulhu.

He said that I'll need a little bit of soldering which I can do (practicing right now). I have no guidance on how to make a fighting stick work for a dreamcast or the things besides the PCB to make it. Any advice will be appreciated.

I wanna use Sanwa jlf and button. Ps360+ or Cthulhu instruction would be appreciated thanks!
    plenty of posts about that, bud

please search

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    I researched and most of the links that seem to have good information are broken or they take me to the main forum page. We are in page 207 and I already backtrack a lot of pages and most of the talk about last gen and current consoles.

I can't find anything specific to dreamcast. I learned that I need to solder the controller's cable but don't know to which hole. Or if is possible to removed the USB and replace it with a RJ45 and buy a RJ45 to dreamcast plug.

I know my questions sound minuscule, but would help immensely if somebody could point me out to the right tutorial to do this. Thanks!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,750
    axelito397 wrote: »
    I researched and most of the links that seem to have good information are broken or they take me to the main forum page. We are in page 207 and I already backtrack a lot of pages and most of the talk about last gen and current consoles.

I can't find anything specific to dreamcast. I learned that I need to solder the controller's cable but don't know to which hole. Or if is possible to removed the USB and replace it with a RJ45 and buy a RJ45 to dreamcast plug.

I know my questions sound minuscule, but would help immensely if somebody could point me out to the right tutorial to do this. Thanks!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/100475/rj-45-multi-console-cthulhu-arcade-stick-tutorial-ver-2/p1
    Never pay double the retail price
    Thank you guys, that'll help!
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714
    Is it possible to use a dual PCB mod where you have a Toodles MC Cthulhu and a Brook Universal linked together? if so, would I need a Chimp? A friend and I are considering to do just that to a gutted stick we have.

If something like that were possible, every major console ever released for the most part would be compatible with this stick.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
    Deathfist wrote: »
    Is it possible to use a dual PCB mod where you have a Toodles MC Cthulhu and a Brook Universal linked together? if so, would I need a Chimp? A friend and I are considering to do just that to a gutted stick we have.

If something like that were possible, every major console ever released for the most part would be compatible with this stick.

You should not.. you should need another RJ45 Port and just 1 USB output (Brook UFB for USB output and Rj45 port for MCCthulhu outputs)

If you'd just want 1 RJ45 Output for all the consoles, then you might want a IMPv2.
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

• DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714
    edited November 2016
    Torta wrote: »

You should not.. you should need another RJ45 Port and just 1 USB output (Brook UFB for USB output and Rj45 port for MCCthulhu outputs)

If you'd just want 1 RJ45 Output for all the consoles, then you might want a IMPv2.
    So if I use an Imp version 2, that would work? interesting. I thought that the Toodles MC Cthulhu had a built-in Imp switch. Guess I was mistaken.

Which would you recommend, the single RJ-45 with IMPv2 or the double port method?

On that topic, I'm considering to gut and reconstruct my Hitbox because the RJ-45 on it is likely a defect. Recent online research and me using 2 different RJ45 Akishop Dreamcast cables are my evidence. I honestly didn't know for over a year because I didn't have a Dreamcast chord.
    Post edited by Deathfist on
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • moltomoltomoltomolto Joined: Posts: 16
    edited January 12

So if I use an Imp version 2, that would work? interesting. I thought that the Toodles MC Cthulhu had a built-in Imp switch. Guess I was mistaken.

Which would you recommend, the single RJ-45 with IMPv2 or the double port method?

On that topic, I'm considering to gut and reconstruct my Hitbox because the RJ-45 on it is likely a defect. Recent online research and me using 2 different RJ45 Akishop Dreamcast cables are my evidence. I honestly didn't know for over a year because I didn't have a Dreamcast chord.

I'm interested in doing the same mod myself. I'm wondering if getting an IMP board is the only way to output both through the same RJ 45 port? If you were to daisy chain the UFB and the MCC via the 20 pin connector that would not work?

I feel like the two ports would be easier IMO but kinda ugly and wasteful when you can just have one
  • FrakkinToasterFrakkinToaster Hurm... Joined: Posts: 372
    I've been trying to get a SNES cable working via RJ47 with my MC Cthulhu for years now and nothing works. I've redone the cable several times, reloaded the firmware on the MC Cthulhu, nothing fixes the problem. Has anyone had any success getting SNES cables working on MC Cthulhu?

Well, I finally discovered that my MC Cthulhu does in fact work on SOME SNES games. On Donkey Kong Country it doesn't work at all, on Mario All Stars only the Dpad and start button work, and on Castlevania 4 everything works. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?
    TommyTench wrote: »
    I've been trying to get a SNES cable working via RJ47 with my MC Cthulhu for years now and nothing works. I've redone the cable several times, reloaded the firmware on the MC Cthulhu, nothing fixes the problem. Has anyone had any success getting SNES cables working on MC Cthulhu?

I'm assuming you mean RJ45 and not RJ47?

With RJ45 i got mine working perfectly. I did have some weird issues when i plugged my controller in (it would disable both controllers, lol). I thought it was a solder bridge underneath the board, but it turns out i had stripped the wires too far and they were touching on the top side of the board (before they went into the soldering holes). So i just spaced them out so they wouldn't touch and now it works perfectly.

It took me a while to figure this out btw so if you have any other questions let me know; ive ran through everything in the process only to find out it was that

Does a standard USB to RJ45 work? Mine worked with a usb cable but not snes, making things even more confusing initially.

EDIT: I used generic SNES cables off amazon. A 2 pack was 6.99 prime or something

Yup RJ45, typo. Does your MC Cthulhu work on Donkey Kong Country? For some reason mine works perfectly on Castlevania 4 and not at all on DKC.
    I just plugged it into my PC to test it, according to the USB controller settings all the buttons and the joystick function properly.
  • insomniaticmeatinsomniaticmeat Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey guys,

I'm building a hitbox and am planning to use the ChimpSMD for it. Living in europe, my options are pretty limited, PCB wise. The only other board I could get, would be the Brook Universal Fighting Board, which would cost almost 3x as much as the Chimp.

For the time being, I will only play SFV on PC, so I don't see any reason not to go with the Chimp. It has SOCD cleaning and supports the PC, so I should be all set.

Am I missing something? Is there a difference in input lag between those two boards?
    Hey guys,

I'm building a hitbox and am planning to use the ChimpSMD for it. Living in europe, my options are pretty limited, PCB wise. The only other board I could get, would be the Brook Universal Fighting Board, which would cost almost 3x as much as the Chimp.

For the time being, I will only play SFV on PC, so I don't see any reason not to go with the Chimp. It has SOCD cleaning and supports the PC, so I should be all set.

Am I missing something? Is there a difference in input lag between those two boards?

ChimpSMD is fine but.. what about XInput games as SFV (tho it now supports directinput but is a pain in the ass)?

Maybe Brook ps3ps4fighting board would be better for you!
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

edited February 13
    Hey guys,

ChimpSMD is fine but.. what about XInput games as SFV (tho it now supports directinput but is a pain in the ass)?

Sorry, I'm not completely familiar with the difference between XInput and DirectInput. I did a quick Google search, and from my understanding XInput is Microsofts current input API, and DirectInput is the predecessor. Is that correct? And you're saying the Chimp only supports DirectInput, Streetfighter V supports both, but the DirectInput support sucks in some way, right?

Edit: I can't get the ps3ps4 Fighting Board here in Germany unfortunately. The only shop I could find, that is carrying this stuff, only has the Universal Fighting Board.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,903
    Edit: I can't get the ps3ps4 Fighting Board here in Germany unfortunately. The only shop I could find, that is carrying this stuff, only has the Universal Fighting Board.

You can order the PS4/3 Brook boards on Ebay.
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey guys,

Hori Fighting Commander for PS3/4/PC is your best padhack if that's an option for you. No SOCD cleaner but outside of vanilla MvC3 you won'the need one..
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -Razer Panthera BNIB
    -TE-S
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W, BenQ RL2455HM & Monoprice 8204
    gahrling wrote: »

You can order the PS4/3 Brook boards on Ebay.

Oh, you're right. Thanks for the hint! I'd appreciate it, if someone could clarify that/why the ChimpSMD isn't an optimal choice though.
    Hey guys,

Hori Fighting Commander for PS3/4/PC is your best padhack if that's an option for you. No SOCD cleaner but outside of vanilla MvC3 you won'the need one..

I'd prefer going with a fresh PCB over gutting a controller. Also, to my understanding, the SOCD cleaner does make a difference in SFV. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Anyone have their MC Cthulhu working on SNES Donkey Kong Country?
    edited February 17
    Hey guys,

Can anyone elaborate on what's wrong with SFV's DirectInput support? Because the statement that it sucks, is the only thing keeping me from getting a Chimp atm..

Edit: Apparently no one can, so I'll go with the Brook ps3ps4 then, just to be safe. No screw terminals for me, I guess..
    Post edited by insomniaticmeat on
  • TimstuffTimstuff Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool Joined: Posts: 418
    So this is my Cthulhu / Imp switch / 360 fightpad PCB setup, which I want to add native PS4 support to:

JGKkiJV.jpg

I have only plugged this thing into an Xbox 360 maybe twice since I built it, and I was wondering if it's possible to just swap out the Xbox 360 PCB with one of those Brook PS4 PCBs? Or maybe a padhacked PS4 controller, if I wanted headset support? (A somewhat frivolous feature given what a pain those pads are to hack, which could easily be replaced by a $20 USB sound card if I ever need it, but I'm still curious.) Would it really be that simple or am I missing a step?