SFA2: Hitboxes now available

Comments

• TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Sundays Im gonna hold A2 training sessions along with ST times might change from time to time I'll keep you all posted. Brian if you are available to help that would be cool. CleverAdvisor sucks. :china:

W00t! man do I ever need help in this game!
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Sundays Im gonna hold A2 training sessions along with ST times might change from time to time I'll keep you all posted. Brian if you are available to help that would be cool. CleverAdvisor sucks. :china:

W00t! man do I ever need help in this game!
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • Quick ManQuick Man Joined: Posts: 497
    Any general tips for Rolento? I can't find a good use for knives: the jump up portion feels way too slow (possible to do instant air knives?). I havent even attempted the crazy CC's as training CCs is really tough in a live match if youre not used to him or CC's or A2 for that matter. All his pokes seem pretty good thus far though s.hp (like the "teach me A2 post" says) seems to have whacky hit boxes... it just looks so cool though :sad: His pokes seem to have very specific uses...

Also where are the widescreen A2 images coming from? I want to be able to do that!
  • DreamfireDreamfire ~And it's a long way forward, so trust in me. I'll give them shelter, like you've done for me.~ Joined: Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Any general tips for Rolento? I can't find a good use for knives: the jump up portion feels way too slow (possible to do instant air knives?). I havent even attempted the crazy CC's as training CCs is really tough in a live match if youre not used to him or CC's or A2 for that matter. All his pokes seem pretty good thus far though s.hp (like the "teach me A2 post" says) seems to have whacky hit boxes... it just looks so cool though :sad: His pokes seem to have very specific uses...

Also where are the widescreen A2 images coming from? I want to be able to do that!

Knife is one of the best projectiles in the game, yes you can instant knife basically you just do double tap the button. Use it anytime for zoning - to get them wanting to jump into you (where you'd antiair CC), to match their fireballs if they are trying to zone you, and to counter hit people trying to poke between your strings. Cancel them off standing/crouching jabs, c.mk and just mix it all up in general. Once you get them into the corner you can keep them pinned down with knives like crazy. But always be on the look out for jumps because its really the only way to get out of it aside from random ass supers and a couple ACs, so be ready for antiair CCs.

s.fp is only good for antiair certain stuff above you, but generally not worth it since if they block it - you die. Most of his other pokes I'm sure you know how to use, but if not ask and I can explain further.

As for his CC, it's not really crazy at all it's easy. On the ground you just start with a sweep and (assuming it landed) you scouter jump (super jump) forward. If you can do that you can do his CC, since from there all you're doing is hitting buttons. Most people will just mash lk and get about 3-5 reps and then go for another scouter jump (lvl 1 is 1 rep, lvl 2 is 2 reps, etc.) What I do is just piano all 3 kicks instead of just mashing lk, so whatever is easier for you.

Antiair CC is the samething except you just start with a s.jab.
    <randomdps> Yes, it's like your characters are walking through a sea of gummy bears
    Darian on how slow A3 is.

<Hakero> fucking brazil is in tropical geography
  • Quick ManQuick Man Joined: Posts: 497
    For the CC, does the slide cancel into the super jump or do you just link it or whatever (CC properties)?
  • DreamfireDreamfire ~And it's a long way forward, so trust in me. I'll give them shelter, like you've done for me.~ Joined: Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's a straight cancel and immediately start doing the LKs, or piano kicks. You can see as an example here:

You can also watch most of those sets and learn basically how he could be played sorta (they are kinda old), but definitely learn him your own way. Everyone's Rolento is pretty different which is why he's a fun character.
    <randomdps> Yes, it's like your characters are walking through a sea of gummy bears

• Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 785
    Question about alpha countering low attacks: do usually you buffer the alpha counter motion into your crouch block or do you crouch block, and then do the alpha counter motion afterwards? To put it visually, is it better to try to do

:l::db: (block):d: + p/k

or

:db: (block) :l::db::d:+p/k?

I've been trying to do the latter for a while, and it seems very inconsistent, like you have to do the motion extremely quickly.
    Holding a shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: The Nine Ball of Fighting Games
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
    I always do it the latter because adding some extra motions could equal you getting caught in a valleCC if you're trying to play footsies. I don't really have any advice for it other than just keep practicing to get your speed up :(

• doujinshi_2001doujinshi_2001 Superman That Ho Joined: Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I always do it the latter because adding some extra motions could equal you getting caught in a valleCC if you're trying to play footsies. I don't really have any advice for it other than just keep practicing to get your speed up :(

nigga you don't do shit except not come into ggpo no more >=(
    Niggas got carlos canceled two days in a row. - Adam Warlock
    Pokemon Heart Gold: 5242 4130 9548
  • Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 785

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Putting the extra motion would make it more of a guess, than a reaction. Oh well, back to practice. I heard somewhere that people piano the low alpha counter, I'll try to work that in and see if I get better results.
    Holding a shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: The Nine Ball of Fighting Games
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • DominicanPowerDominicanPower Shit Iz Real Joined: Posts: 1,069

I'm down for some lessons.
  • omniomni Joined: Posts: 476 admin
    Question about alpha countering low attacks: do usually you buffer the alpha counter motion into your crouch block or do you crouch block, and then do the alpha counter motion afterwards? To put it visually, is it better to try to do

:l::db: (block):d: + p/k

or

:db: (block) :l::db::d:+p/k?

I've been trying to do the latter for a while, and it seems very inconsistent, like you have to do the motion extremely quickly.

Block and do backwards dragon punch command + punch/kick.

Derek Daniels
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ok this sunday, Ill be on quite a bit so show up, Ill definitely be on from 1-3 MT time.
  • MagikMagik Criminey Joined: Posts: 118
    Hey I really want to get into alpha 2, so i have 1 question

which version should i get? I've been playing on the SNES.
    'Ol Betsy and the Five Avengers
    Best version is arcade by far, so I would recommend playing that. Next is SFAA for PS2, but timing is off on things as well as damage. SNES version is by far the bastard child of all 4 ports (SNES, SS, PS2, ARC)
  • AnakronAnakron Alpha Male Joined: Posts: 2,391
    Best version is arcade by far, so I would recommend playing that. Next is SFAA for PS2, but timing is off on things as well as damage. SNES version is by far the bastard child of all 4 ports (SNES, SS, PS2, ARC)

What exactly is the difference between SFAA and arcade. Isn't AA supposed to be fine once the dipswitches are set correctly?
    #SNKPlaymore on rizon
    isn't it funny that capcom put a mechanic called focus into a game designed for people with ADD
  • CSSCSS i quit mashing custom finally Joined: Posts: 174
    What exactly is the difference between SFAA and arcade. Isn't AA supposed to be fine once the dipswitches are set correctly?

all of the a2 players i've talked to have told me that unlike a3, a2's dipswitches still haven't been quite figured out. :sad:
    NickRocks wrote: »
    And GGPO players wont travel, they are like 14 and play on keyboard
  • strizzmatikstrizzmatik Brick = Shat Joined: Posts: 250
    Yikes. Played randomdps a few days ago and got fucking bodied about 20 games straight. Using my TE stick to play was a little weird, the super-sensitive buttons didn't help me out much when I kept getting random CCs out when I'm trying to stand Roundhouse lol. I think I won maybe three rounds, haha. It was definitely informative though :D I used to play A2 a lot when it dropped but never had good competition and really didn't like A3 at all, so I been trying to get back into it. GGPO has without a doubt the best competition online IMO.
  • BeaMBeaM 「Elec!」 Joined: Posts: 332
    I just started to learn this game like two days ago, man have I been missing out. This thread has been a big help, many thanks.
    「PSN: HK_Karakusa | XBL: PK Elec | :U | Max Anarchy Demo Champ? o ok 」

Main thing I found was timing and damage which might not be a dip switch thing. Try doing rose's drill cc, you have to do it very fast, and SI seems stronger.
    Yikes. Played randomdps a few days ago and got fucking bodied about 20 games straight. Using my TE stick to play was a little weird, the super-sensitive buttons didn't help me out much when I kept getting random CCs out when I'm trying to stand Roundhouse lol. I think I won maybe three rounds, haha. It was definitely informative though :D I used to play A2 a lot when it dropped but never had good competition and really didn't like A3 at all, so I been trying to get back into it. GGPO has without a doubt the best competition online IMO.

If you ever want games hit me up on aim, feilong9842
  • strizzmatikstrizzmatik Brick = Shat Joined: Posts: 250
    I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of SFA2 was by far the best home conversion. It was definitely better and much more arcade-perfect due to Saturn's dedicated 2D chip, whereas PSX manipulated its 3D chip to get a bastardized 2D emulation.

On a side note, does anyone still have the old SFA2 guide, know where I could get one, or knows of some scans? Best strategy guide ever written IMO.
  • SeanxFaytSeanxFayt aka KintoUn Joined: Posts: 560
    omgg love this thread! We just need more alpha 2 players
    . . .
    I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of SFA2 was by far the best home conversion. It was definitely better and much more arcade-perfect due to Saturn's dedicated 2D chip, whereas PSX manipulated its 3D chip to get a bastardized 2D emulation.

On a side note, does anyone still have the old SFA2 guide, know where I could get one, or knows of some scans? Best strategy guide ever written IMO.

2D or 3D chips blah blah, we talking about how close the game played to the arcade. I don't care if the SFAA Collection had nintendo graphics, that shit plays closer than Saturn version ever did. Glitches galore.
  • HakeroHakero crazy fucker Joined: Posts: 52
    this thread sucks
    afro legends : We will beat Japan one day at this game. I promise
    Hakero : ROFL
  • yatesyates RandomDragonPunches Joined: Posts: 66
    I am in love with you, big daddy.
    "I'm ALWAYS jacking off on GGPO." - dreamfire -
    omgg love this thread! We just need more alpha 2 players

Everyone says that but truth is there are no people who show up in the ggpo A2 room. It was always me, dreamfire, randomdps, omen. Few other people drop by, most of them play a game with any of us then leave. Few guys show up and I train them, but in general no one be there.
  • HakeroHakero crazy fucker Joined: Posts: 52
    hey jeff (ragingstormx) can you teach us how can you play with macro ?
    afro legends : We will beat Japan one day at this game. I promise
    Hakero : ROFL
    So anyone in this thread want anything added in particular? Something we can add of improve?
    Oh and btw, you guys i see playing sometimes getting wrecked by Adon is killing me. If you block a lk jaguar kick or mk or hk mis-spaced you can hit him for free. Mk and Hk version are FREE CC on hit or blocked. Jaguar tooth is worthless when you have meter, you can last second cc or ac. Without meter just jump up and combo him on the way down. If he does one away from you you are safe. Adon is strictly a poke and punish character.
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889
    I play alpha 2 fairly regularly.

I play gief, wat do against guy.

I try to stand forward and spd his run and jump in but all I get is counter cc'd.

Also make a bison page please
  • doujinshi_2001doujinshi_2001 Superman That Ho Joined: Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    really? gief rapes guy for free
    Niggas got carlos canceled two days in a row. - Adam Warlock
    Pokemon Heart Gold: 5242 4130 9548
    Gief beats a lot of shit he does. The Guy player has to really, really be on point to handle him. For one, Guy has no real answer to gief jumping in..without spending meter. If you see he has none it's free jump ins more than likely into a 360, or block if you expect a reversal hurricane. It's kinda obvious saying it, but I figure I'll mention it anyway. You don't have to go for a 360 everytime you jump in. Just the fact that it's such a threat is a metagame in itself. You can jump in and then block, if you see they activated you can KKK lariat on reaction (or CC their CC if you have the timing.) You can also jump in and go for a CC yourself. A lot of people get nervous with gief in close, and it's a really easy way to land CCs with him since people more than likely won't be sitting there. Just some stuff to think about.

Edit:

I wouldn't try to 360 his run, it's safe as long as they are executing it correctly. What I would attempt to 360 though is a flip into elbow, it's 360 bait most of the time. I remember playing you a while back, basically don't be so predictable with lariats. Guy is gonna try to run a real tight poking and harrassing with shoulder game on gief. You can't really punish the shoulder unless it's a fierce shoulder point blank maybe. Just stick to basics and win with gief's solid normals, antiairs, and mixup.

Guy does fine unless he gets knocked down. You can c.mp, s.lk, s.lp and cc a lot of Gief jump ins, you just have to know the ranges, but he can get him knocked out the air at most ranges. Pretty much a poke fest and abuse s.fp.
    really? gief rapes guy for free

Not when you suck and other guy can play.

Also ryu is hard online. I try to walk forward and block fireballs but I can't :(
    Bison thread summation: Teleport as anti-air. Empty jump-->throw. Empty jump--->st.lk--->throw. Activate--->teleport away--->throw fireball---->teleport behind them/headstomp/Devil Reverse.

You'll also want to do some throws. Maybe some teleports. Probably want to toss in a few more throws, too, by the way. And, just for good measure, throw them some more.

TRICKZ!
    It is hard for me, because I play st/hdr bison, and the alpha bison is just a sad, sad version of that
    If you're approaching A2 Bison as being an iteration of ST Bison, then you've got the wrong mentality. You have to see the character for what it is, rather than drawing a correlation to the one you know. If you're trying to run Scissor Kick lockdown and do st.lk, st.lk, st.lk, st.lk, st.rh shit, then, yeah, it's going to feel like garbage.

A2 Bison holds his own, if you play him properly. Fuck, I can get a couple of wins with MY Bison, and I play him like a jackass.
    Well I mean it is just looking at it like. One bison has awesome tod, maybe safe moves, can dizzy off almost everything.

The other one has no crossup(Maybe he has one? Nothing seems to work) and is fat, and like with no link combos. It is kind of sad really.

I know this is a different game, but like there has never really been another super turbo bison, one that is all offense with 0 defense, and I kinda miss it
    Well I mean it is just looking at it like. One bison has awesome tod, maybe safe moves, can dizzy off almost everything.

The other one has no crossup(Maybe he has one? Nothing seems to work) and is fat, and like with no link combos. It is kind of sad really.

I know this is a different game, but like there has never really been another super turbo bison, one that is all offense with 0 defense, and I kinda miss it

A2 Bison plays like a obese ST Bison. Limited offense, decent defense, half his moves are safe, one his moves is horrible.