Power Instinct 3: Groove on Fight

SinJulSinJul Tiger Bazooka!Joined: Posts: 291
34000301.jpg

This game should be pretty unknown to people not living in Japan and somebody from the german fighting game community linked me to match videos of this game. I found the game pretty interesting, so I thought others should see it at least once.
The game was released in 1997 for the ST-V plattform (which is some Sega Saturn arcade plattform) by Atlus and is the 3rd part of the series. It's more serious compared to the first 2 games.
Informations on the controls can be found on gamefaqs (just search for Groove on Fight), so please discuss a bit and share your opinions!

Tournament Part 1/5
This is the first of 5 parts and the other parts are replies to the previous part. Also there is a playlist on the same youtube account with over 20 more matches from last year.
http://www.akihabarashop.jp The best shop for Arcade Parts!
http://sinjul.wordpress.com/ My Arcade Stick News/Reviews blog!

Comments

• aqualungaqualung aka roadapple Joined: Posts: 460
    Yeah, this is a pretty goofy / fun series, even when its trying to be serious. (I think most people on here are somewhat familliar with it)

Even tho Power Instinct Matrimelee (Shin G?ketsuji Ichizoku: T?kon Matrimelee) is pretty average at best, we still play it on 2df occasionaly, mainly for fun.
    11:23:41 AM Led: yes 'cause the guy use a trick
    11:23:55 AM Led: like using again and again the same blow
    11:24:05 AM Led: or grabing
    11:24:10 AM roadapple: XD
  • DeadlyRave-NeoDeadlyRave-Neo Joined: Posts: 500
    yeah this game is really fun but it run too slow on mame:sad:
    friends dont let friends use macros
  • SinJulSinJul Tiger Bazooka! Joined: Posts: 291
    yeah this game is really fun but it run too slow on mame:sad:

Yeah that's true. I have set it to skip frames automatically and it runs a bit better. But don't let us start a MAME discussion here:rofl:

Imo GoF is much more serious than the other parts of the series. The combos in this game are totally crazy and the damage is so high that I think they cry when they eat one of those.

Matrimelee is more like a sequel to 2 than Groove on Fight is imo. It has more characters from 2 than GoF has.
    I wish I had a cabinet with GoF because that seems to be the only way to really play it .:sad:
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    Yeah that's true. I have set it to skip frames automatically and it runs a bit better. But don't let us start a MAME discussion here:rofl:

Imo GoF is much more serious than the other parts of the series. The combos in this game are totally crazy and the damage is so high that I think they cry when they eat one of those.

Matrimelee is more like a sequel to 2 than Groove on Fight is imo. It has more characters from 2 than GoF has.
    I wish I had a cabinet with GoF because that seems to be the only way to really play it .:sad:

Saturn version is a good port of the game and lets you do 4 player mode also.
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • SohSoh Thunder God assisted Joined: Posts: 74
    :rofl:

I was sure someone would have started a GOF thread after seeing those videos :tup:
    Haha, I just had to. But I guess it didn't suprise you that I created the topic:rofl:

@nocturnal: I read that the Saturn version is missing a lot of frames and doesn't look as good as the arcade version. But I guess that's normal for older games.:shake:

Anyway thanks to Soh for uploading the matches.:wink:
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    I also could have sworn that on mame it ran pretty good at least on my PC. I'll have to try it out again to see what problems it does have still.
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • ReXXXSopranoReXXXSoprano Triple Da G.O.D! Joined: Posts: 1,509
    Those matches were off the chain. I've never seen high-level matches in GOF before so I was most impressed.

As far as GOF on MAME is concerned, it works perfectly for me. 60 frames and all that good stuff. Just make sure your running a later version of MAME and the ST-X Bios

I might give GOF on Saturn a look because of the 4-player mode.
    Those matches were off the chain. I've never seen high-level matches in GOF before so I was most impressed.

As far as GOF on MAME is concerned, it works perfectly for me. 60 frames and all that good stuff. Just make sure your running a later version of MAME and the ST-X Bios

I might give GOF on Saturn a look because of the 4-player mode.

I use MAME++ 0.119 and have the ST-V Bios. I can play 3rd Strike without any slow downs but this game has some but I don't know why. Maybe somebody can help me with that. Just send me a PM with a piece of advice or add me on ICQ/MSN.

I'll play Solis and Popura. I hope I can find somebody to play this game with in Germany. Maybe the Americans can record some matches because your community is bigger than ours and you might find somebody to get into the game with.

What characters do you think are the best? Imo M-A-D is probably the best in the game and then followed by Solis and Tenjinbashi.
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    Mine runs well on 0.116. You guys may need to tweak some settings around for it.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • MagicianMagician Joined: Posts: 255
    I love the SHIT out of this game!!! :lovin: It is THE (main) reason I have a saturn. If you've never had a chance to give the 4 player mode a try, you are SERIOUSLY missing out. Once you get a group of people who seriously know how to play the game, it becomes something like the "Bomberman" of fighting games.

Damage in this game IS borderline ridiculous which is why when I DO play against other people we ALWAYS play on the lowest damage setting so that rounds actually last a little while. A somewhat strange thing to notice is that as you get closer to the end of your health meter, you actually seem to get more stamina; in otherwords it seems like you have to do more to take away that last bit of health (this will become very apparent with trying to cheese what you think is just a line of health).

The stuff that was posted from Mi-Ka-Do (also available on YouTube) is top knotch in terms of quality game play. Unfortunately I've never actually played the arcade version (or tried it on MAME). I can however confirm frame cut out on the saturn version as well as the absence of moves and thus absence of certain combos. And yes the saturn version does NOT look nearly as good as the arcade version. Nevertheless it is seriously one of THE funnest games I've ever played. And yes, it CAN be played seriously as the Mi-Ka-Do clips will verify.

If anyone needs any tips (at least for the saturn version), let me know.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    C'mon just because you die from 2 combos doesn't mean that the damage is ridiculous :D This game is one of the best fighting games EVER! I got it to work on my computer and the gameplay is just pure awesome. I'll try to get some people to play it and even if I fail I'll try to find an Arcade that has it when I go to Japan next year.

So keep this thread alive! uhhh combo discussion anyone? :D
    Well, since you use both Solis and Popura here are some tips/combos (note: these tips are based off the saturn ver as I do not currently have a way to test the arcade or MAME ver... in addition, you could help me verify differences between these versions):

Solis Running Combo:
    1) j GA (jump w/ "launcher")
    2) d GA (RE-launch your opponent after you touch the ground)
    3) qcf LP (time the projectile so that when it hits, your opponent stumbles)
    4) ff P (dash P)
    5) special chain finish (the qcf chain w/ different kicks)
    Note: if the timing for the punch is kind of hard, then use kick... it will still take off a lot of health)

Popura Corner Combo:
    1) ff GA (looks just like regular GA, but allows you to connect the next hit)
    2) d GA
    3) wait till your opponent is somewhat close to touching the ground and Tag Team Super
    Note: for some reason, you can only chain w/ a DASHING GA into a d GA
    I have yet to see someone combo w/ a Tag Team Super in the arcade ver and am wondering if this is possible or not. This is definitely possible on the saturn ver.

Hope this is a decent start.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    solis overhead combo:
    1)j.GA
    2)ff P
    3)HP (2hits)
    4)dp.lp
    5)HP (2hits)
    6)qcb.lk

Poke combo:
    1)lp
    2)lk
    3)hp (2hits)
    4)dp.lp
    5)qcb.lk / whatever you want.

I'll post more when I saw the match videos again and played around a bit:rofl:
  • Bebop129Bebop129 AKA: DJLC Joined: Posts: 385
    This is a really great game that no one knows about.

I'm glad people on hear got word of it.
    I need some awesome stick art...
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    I was trying to play this since 2001. Drove me up the fucking wall how slow MAME was at the time.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
    Can anyone varify the presence of Tag-Team combos in the MAME ver? This is DEFINITELY possible in the Saturn ver. The key to doing this is either being in the corner or being point blank to your opponent and launching them with d+GA and inputting the tag-team super command when your opponent is close to hitting the ground (this of course requires you to delay before inputting the command). Btw, has anyone else been able to get this game to work smoothly on their PC?

Keep Play'n. Peace
    d+GA>Tag Team Combo works, I tested it.
    Also it works smoothly on my notebook but not on my normal computer. Maybe the graphic card on my notebook is better or whatever.

Larry:
    2xc.lp>c.lk>c.hp>qcf.lk/hk
    2xc.lp>s.lk>s.hk>qcf.lk
    j.OA>dash.P>DP.lp

M.A.D:
    2xc.lp>s.HP>dp.OA
    Grab.P>qcf.hk>dash.P>qcf.lp>dash.P>qcf.lp>dash.P>DP.OA

Tenjinbashi:
    j.OA>c.OA>Super
    2xc.lk>c.hp>TK.lk

DP=Dragon Punch
    TK= Tiger knee
    Here are some Larry combos:

"Drop The Bomb On You" Corner Combos:

Larry and Anyone
    1) DB (d,d + K = only the 1st part will hit)
    2) GA
    3) d GA
    4) TTDB (Tag-Team Death Blow = d,d + P during tag)

Insult Variation (of the combo above) done to mess with your opponent:
    1) DB (d,d + K = only the 1st part will hit)
    2) GA
    3) ff P
    4) DB
    5) d HK (kick flaming body on ground)

The main concept to get out of the Variation is the link from GA to ff P. For those characters that can link GA into d GA, this should work (at least in the corner). The standing GA will kind of serve as substitute for a j GA.

Tap Link Combo
    1) uf HP (Cross-Up)
    2) d LP x3
    3) d LK
    4) d HP
    5) qcf HK
    6) u + K

More combos for other characters to come.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    Originally speaking, I had planned to release all of my combos on gamefaqs as well as make a combo video but since I'm super lazy, I will premier my combos here. Hopefully I can work on both of those things some time in the near future. In the mean time here are a few combos you guys can try out featuring what I'll call aerials (combos involving a standing normal linked into a jumping normal):

Gartheimer
    Insulting Aerial Combo (5 hit)
    1) d LP (2 hit)
    2) d LK
    3) uf LP
    4) u,d HP

Note: this is another of those really insulting combos that can only be done on tall characters.

Oume & Otane
    Note: both of these combos should be done on tall opponents.

Single Aerial Corner Combo (16 hit)
    note: your opponent should be in the very corner and you should start right next to them.
    1) u LK right in front of your opponent (8 hits)
    2) d LP
    3) d LK
    4) HK (4 hits)
    5) D, u GA
    6) u + K

Double Aerial Corner Combo (22 hit)
    note: your opponent should be about a character away from the corner and you should start right next to them.
    1) LP x2
    2) uf LK (7 hits)
    3) LP
    4) uf LP
    5) u,d GA (10 hits)
    6) ff, u + K

Remi
    Ride The Blade Aerial Combo (6 hit)
    1) cross up j HP
    2) LP
    3) LK
    4) f+LK
    5) uf LK
    6) u,d LP/HP/GA

This is a really sweet combo that can be done on anyone. To simplify this combo, you can just take out step 3.
    Note: in the Saturn version for some reason you could be point blank to your opponent and LK will utterly whiff, yet if you are near the corner and you cross up your opponent the LK will connect.
    Note: the last 2 hits of this combo works pretty well as a surprise overhead when you jump straight up right in front of your ducking opponent and hit LK immediately as you are going up.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    You can even do a tripple aerial combo with Otane&Oume:
    Tenjinbashi in corner
    j.lk>jf.lk>jf.lk(2hits)>u,d.DA

this combo should have 28hits.

Any idea on the tiers? I guess Tenjinbashi and M-A-D are the top tier characters but no idea how to rank the others.

If you need a training mode, just download a cheat file for MAME and activate infinite life. That's how I practice ^^
    I don't think I would necessarily put either of those 2 as top tier although I have seen some very good game play from both characters. Almost undisputably, I will say that Falco falls under God tier. The 2 really huge weapons he has is a fairly easy DB combo that takes off a world of health and he is the only character who can regenerate health while not tagging out... at a fairly fast rate unless you have really bad luck. A 3rd very good weapon for him is his jumping HK. It has good priority and is also great for cross ups. Of course he has other things going for him too, but those 2-3 things really puts him on top. I would put Hizumi and Bristol under him as the next up. Towards the bottom I would put Remi, Popura and Garth. Just about everyone else I would put somewhere in the range of middle tier. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Mainly because of the parrying/repelling system in this game you can do decently with just about anyone. Case in point, I've see some monsters make scarry things happen with Remi. You can punish the crap out of people with any character as long as you have the skills. Btw, in case I didn't mention it before, I do all of my play/testing on the Saturn version (which I STRONGLY suggest people try if they're ever able to get 4 players together). I will hopefully be able to give the emu version a go one of these days when I get a better computer (whenever that is). In the mean time, keep those combos coming.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    Here are a some more combos to try out:

Oume & Otane and Damian
    Tag-Cancel Double DB Combo (34 hits)
    1) d,d + K (12 hits)
    2) TTDB ( Tag-Team Death Blow = d,d + P while tagging) (22 hits)

Note: get close and corner your opponent before you perform your DB. The only thing you have to do in this combo is figure out the timing of when to tag (you will cancel the last frames of your 1st DB and connect the 2nd DB while your opponent is still stunned from the 1st DB). It is possible to get ALL hits of your first DB in with careful timing. I did not try this, but you MIGHT be able to squeeze in a weak hit or two before going into the TTDB.

Damian
    Double Rose Corner Comb (13 hit)
    1) db LP
    2) db LK
    3) B HK (direction in capitol letters indicates setting in that direction)
    4) B, f HP (2 hits)
    5) B HK
    6) B, f HP (2 hits)
    7) ff P
    8) SCC (3 hits)
    9) u + K

Man, I found this combo 6 freak'n years after first playing this game! :wgrin:
    Note: you will want to start this combo in the very corner, point blank to your opponent. Timing for the the 2nd set of roses is a bit strict.

Bristol, Bristol-D and Garth
    Boss Combo
    1) j GA
    2) ff P (2 hits)
    3) d GA
    4) SCC (Special Command Chain for respected character)
    5) u + K

Note: for a strong finish, you can complete the combo with a TTDB (Tag-Team Death Blow) after step 3.

*On step 4 you see that I refer to something called the SCC (a naming convention I coined... just cuz I'm sick like that). In this game, this a 3 part command move all characters have that must be done using the same command but with attack buttons going from weakest to strongest (ex: LP, HP, GA) (the specific command depends on the character you are using).

*If you guys don't know what GA is, this is your "launcher," whereas DA is your "evasion attack". In many cases GA is considered a punch and DA is considered a kick.

For Garth you can do modified version of this combo that takes off an almost surprising amount of health:
    Insulting Cross-Up Combo (7 hits)
    1) uf GA (Cross-Up)
    2) ff P (2 hits)
    3) ff P (opposite direction) (1 hit)
    4) immediately break after 1st hit of ff P w/ d, u LK
    5) u + K

This combo takes off about 60%!

Keep Play'n. Peace
    Chris: stand close
    TK.lp>s.lp>s.lk>s.hp>Chain
    s.lp>s.lp>s.lk>s.lk>s.hp>Chain or Super (very difficult to combo into super)

Tenjinbashi:
    j.GA>c.GA>TK.lk (I guess hk also hits but I have to test that)
    c.lk>c.lk>c.hp>TK.lk (can be used after cross-up with j.df.hp but use 1c.lk only)

Larry:
    c.lp>c.lp>s.lk>f.hk>qcf.lk/hk
    j.hp>dash.hp>dp.xp (x=any)

My personal tier list:
    Top: M-A-D, Tenjinbashi
    Upper: Larry, Falco, Chris, Solis, Hizumi
    Mid: Remi, Popura, Oume&Otane
    Low: Popura, Gartheimer

No character is unplayable. I created this tier list considering dmg per combo, cross up possibilities, high/low possibilities. M-A-D can kill you with 1grab and another combo. Tenjinbashi's bomb grab is insane.
    I don't know if I need to go into detail for every character but I will if it is needed.
    Chris

One VERY unfortunate difference in the Saturn Ed is that you CANNOT combo Chris's HP into Super. For those that play the Saturn Ed, you may notice from time to time that the COMPUTER can combo just about any damned thing that it wants to... with any character! One thing that I see on occasion with Chris is comboing from HK into Super. If this is possible in the arcade ed, please let me know. In the mean time here are some combos to try out:

Air Drill Cross-Up Combo (16 Hits)
    1) uf HK (on top of opponent's head)
    2) break w/ ftd DA in the air (cross-up) (3 hits)
    3) d LP x3
    4) d LK
    5) LK
    6) HP
    7) SCC (qcf Ps = 5 hits)
    8) u + K

Note: the drill MUST end up as a cross up, thus landing you RIGHT BEHIND your opponent in point blank range for all the hits to connect. Also note that on step 7 it is actually possible to cancel hits too early so that you only get in 4 hits (at least on the Saturn Ed; if this is different on the arcade please let me know).
    If anyone could verify the following combo I would appreciate it:

(Unverified) Double Aerial Combo (16 hits)
    1) uf HK x2 (1st K done while going down, 2nd K done while going up)
    2) break w/ ftd DA in the air (3 hits)
    3) d LP x2
    4) d LK
    5) LK
    6) HP
    7) SCC (5 hits)
    8) u + K

Tenjinbashi

I'm 95% certain that d GA into tk GA will connect for Tenjinbashi. It is most recommended to end your chain with df HP as opposed to just d HP (the hit itself will look the same, but he will take a quick hop forward to get in the hit and it will still combo). Here's a sweet chain combo for you guys to try:

Max Chain Cross-Up Combo (13 hits)
    1) uf HP (cross-up)
    2) LP
    3) d LK
    4) LK x2
    5) df HP
    6) qcb HP
    5) f,f (or uf,uf)
    6) u + K (6 hits)

Note: In case you like jam'n bombs into your opponent, you can sub step 6 with a tk LK.

Tip of the Day

In this game it is recommended to finish SCCs (Special Command Chain = 3 part special move) if possible once they are blocked as you will USUALLY have decent recovery. One character of noticable exeption to this is Larry. In fact, I would very much advise AGAINST using that move at all for him. If you were to look at competition vids you will notice 1 of 2 things: the player getting punished after a block or of them messing up the move and not getting in all hits. Instead I would say abuse the hell out of his qcf P (especially the LP version).

Keep your tips and questions coming!
  • SixMachineSixMachine Joined: Posts: 2,346
    Hey I'm new this board and I found this place while actually trying to find for some resources on this game.

Well, anyways I like this game a lot. I decided to pick up Solis and managed to pick up a thing or two from those match vids.

I like how she can basically cancel almost any move she has into a prism. Her running attacks seem a lot more safer if you do a prism (one of the guys in the vid got punished severely by tenjinbashi be just doing a running punch and nothing off it).

Well currently I was trying to see if her tnt punch can be useful for anything. I've been experimenting and its annoying to hold 2 buttons while doing a combo.

Oh yeah I'm playing mame not the saturn version which i hear makes a difference.
    In this game NO ONE recovers from just doing a dash P (or a dash K for that matter). This is why in most cases it is recommended to cancel into a SCC (for Solis this is done w/ qcf Ps). If you dash P and it is blocked you could cancel into a LP prism (if you try any other P you can be punished because of the slow start up), however I would still recommend the SCC over the prism if the dash P is blocked because it does more cheese and you could bait your opponents into being hit by the later parts of the move.

Unfortunately, I have not found her TNT punch to be particularly useful at all. I never use it, nor do I ever see players use it in competition.

And yes, there are some significant differences between the saturn edition and the arcade/MAME edition. For now, I still test on the saturn as my computer is not all too powerful.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    I re-read my message and noticed I did sound kind of weird. It just looked like he had no followup after a running p.

Well anyways I got a combo for solis:
    1)f,f lp (running punch)
    2)dp lp (light prism)
    3)d GA (uppercut)
    4)d,d k (super: if they are too close to the corners it screws up the dash a bit)

Its really easy and takes a crapload of damage. You can execute this combo after a pop up by a j. GA. I tried to see if a tag combo can connect at part 4 and it seems to work but you have to be fast.

I've been using the SSC after DA and I get pretty good results when you crossover.
    I still like the prism after f,f though because it seems to stop your momentum after a running attack ( even f,f k).

Also have any combos with Hizumi? I think he connects moves pretty nice. His qcf k adds a nice amount of hits but I need to integrate it into something because it seems pretty unsafe by itself.
    Hizumi is more about cross up combos with his "teleport".

stand half a screen away:
    qcf.OA>f.tele>c.lp>c.lk>s.hk>qcf.lk

Probably his most basic combo. I'll test out more later but got to go to school now
    Hizumi is actually one of my fav characters to use. I wouldn't necessarily say that I use his teleport all THAT much in the game. For cross-ups I will abuse the crap out of his dive punch (hold d while jumping and press HP). It can be VERY hard to block this for some reason. His regular jumping HP is also pretty good for cross- ups.

Generally speaking I avoid using qcf K. Needless to say, you will get thoroughly punished if this move is blocked. About the only special use that I can think of for that move is as a cross-up. If you are somewhat close to a ducking opponent, it could hop over them and hit them from behind, but this is quite the gamble. Computer does this all the time.

Here is one of the best combos that I have for him (it is a slightly revised version of one I contributed to in gamefaqs):

Hizumi

Dizzy Chain Link Combo (11 hits):
    1) qcf HP or GA ("electricity")
    2) uf HP (cross-up)
    3) d HP (you MUST be in deep to get in the rest of your hits)
    4) d LP (pause just a bit - you must link into this move)
    5) d LK
    6) HK
    7) SCC (qcb Ps: 4 hits)
    8) pin (df k, k = "slide kick" or u + k)

This combo is named such because you will almost always get your opponent dizzy the 1st time you hit this combo. If you are not in deep at step 3, you will not be able to get in all the rest of your hits. You should be able to tell as soon as you hit d HP. If you are NOT close enough, just cancel into his SCC and pin your opponent.

As for uses of the teleport, you can set up some limited cross-up pressure games. What I like to do is toss dead partners and immediately teleport behind the opponent. It is also very handy when attempting to escape the supers of certain characters.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    I tried to find new combos for Hizumi but I could only find one.

dash back and press LP+HP> dash forward.hp> qcf.lk or Chain

Else he's pretty much about high/low mix ups and teleport cross ups.
    Also use the qcf.k after you hit with an overhead and the do a dash forward punch into the qcf.k
    Here is the first part of a new tournament I've uploaded recently:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KTEqiBNJCE

follow video responses to see the remaining parts.
    Thanks for the vid. Those Chris players were pretty neat.
    Bumping this thread because of new tournament match vids from Japan!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6453740
    Gartheimer infinite found:
    Video on Nico Video

Dunno if more Japs will play him now. Never seen Kero or Siki0-02 play him.
    Nice vid. Haven't been on this board in a while. What's the commands to do the infinte. I don't use garthheimer but I would like to check it out.
    Man, it's been a little while since I've been on here. I knew about the Garth infinite, but only in the corner on the saturn (I could only go back and forth once in the middle of the screen). He does have another infinite that involves his super, but that is some major over kill. Say, are there any OC or LA GOF players, holla cuz I'd sure like to play against you guys.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    I played this game for fun and just to check out the power instinct series. I really like but I wish more people will play it (I live in new york and I don't know anyone who has even heard of this game). I haven't touched this game in months but if it came on ggpo or 2dfighter I would play.
    I played this game for fun and just to check out the power instinct series. I really like but I wish more people will play it (I live in new york and I don't know anyone who has even heard of this game). I haven't touched this game in months but if it came on ggpo or 2dfighter I would play.

Same goes for me. But I'll fire it up again later and maybe I'll find some new combos. In Germany I'm also the only one that actually likes the game.
    Yes, just about no one here has ever heard of or seen this game which is a real shame. Being that the only console release for it was on Saturn didn't exactly help out the title too much. I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but in the US being released on the Saturn was already bad enough, but being released as a RAM cart game meant that it would NOT be released in the US ( that and the fact, that the US tends to frown on anything remotely risque). Even with that said, I still love my Saturn. I used to be a devout stick person, but the momement I touched the Saturn pad it was almost like finding a greater truth / enlightenment.

Thankfully, I chanced upon this game many years back with a friend while at an import game store. It was hard for the game not to catch your eye. The box art was kind of alluring (this is Range Murata art damn it). The pics in the back seemed fairly interesting to me too. Interestingly enough, at the time, it seemed to be the best selling or most wanted import Saturn game at that store. (I wonder where those purchasers are now). What really sparked my interest was taking a look through the instruction booklet (which I was fortunate enough to be able to do and was to me actually the strongest selling point). I was very surprised to see how deep the game engine seemed. To make a long story short, it wound up being the funnest fighter I have ever played.

I never actually had a chance to mess around w/ the arcade ver or the MAME ver, though I would really like to (hopefully I can get up on a stronger computer in the near future). I will say this though, playing 4 player mode w/ people who know what they're doing on the Saturn is freaking awesome! Hopefully one day we'll see a more accessable console release of a Power Instinct Collection with GOF. In the mean time, just keep intruding people to GOF in whatever way you can.

Btw, I just wanted to thank Soh really quick for posting vids. Good stuff. Keep it coming. I'm also kind of curious exactly where it's coming from and from what event. General game question: I've seen in a vid that Larry has some sort of donkey kick. Is this his down GA (the ducking launcher)? If it is, the Saturn version of this move looks WAY different. Instead, he crouches down and palms the opponent into the air.

Keep Play'n. Peace
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    lol i know this game, in fact i know the whole series all the way.

It was a semi-hit in arcades because of the crisp combos and fast game play.

I was playing mostly ninja and monk, fun times.
    Btw, I just wanted to thank Soh really quick for posting vids. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

There is one more tournament to upload on Nico Douga, but now I haven't much spare time to make all the cuts needed.

Here are the links:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7356356
    http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7363966
    http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7364884
    That's a really good solis/Larry player in that last vid. Is that all of that tournament? Because it looks like he was trying to get killed off to set up another match.

Also since it's in a round robin format do you know the standings?
    RavenTech - you say it was a semi-hit in the arcade. Were you actually able to play GOF in an arcade in the US? I've never seen it in an arcade, not even in Japan (I did see Power Instinct 1 & 2 in the arcades here, tho you needed to look a little hard).

Soh - hells yeah, keep em coming.

From the looks of the vid, I don't think Larry's "donkey kick" is his down GA. I have a feeling that it may be a missing move on the Saturn ver. Does anyone happen to know the command for it? Thanks.

Keep Play'n. Peace
    Downforward+HK if I remember correctly. But the move is useless as you cannot combo after it. Guess I tested it before.
    RavenTech - you say it was a semi-hit in the arcade. Were you actually able to play GOF in an arcade in the US? I've never seen it in an arcade, not even in Japan (I did see Power Instinct 1 & 2 in the arcades here, tho you needed to look a little hard).

Keep Play'n. Peace

Actually i came from china, so yeah, we had 2 or 3 PI3s in the state, one of the arcades even had it on large screen too, back then only the games with big splashy sounds got put on the big screen, therefore SFA2, SS2 and PI3. PI3 was mainly there because PI legends did very well in arcades, then i guess PI3 was too different and everyone shifted to KOF97

I remember there were 4-5 PI1 in our city spread out in different arcades, because the voice and sound effect were so mild, there were always in the corner.
    Raventech - so you played the game in China (not the US)?
    SinJul - you MAY be correct for the command on the donkey kick, but I seriously think they took out that move on the Saturn. I've been playing it for 12 years now and have never seen that move (I tried the command but to no avail).

Keep Play'n. Peace
    yup, never seen one in US.
    Don't cry guys, maybe the next Power Instinct will be Groove on Fight 2. Dunno where the new one actually went, was it released? I just hope they make a new GoF. The game is just so awesome.
    I'm not crying over GOF (...now). Hopefully I can give the arc ver a go in the very near future. For those who got it running fairly smoothly, what are the stats of your comp and what ver of MAME are you using? I don't think I've seen any further continuation of this game yet. The closest I've seen was Matrimalee, but GOF people already know that's not a continuation. Who knows, maybe in 2015 (refer to the character endings). I really hope they make an arcade accurate collection, but that maybe wishful thinking. As downloadable content on a current platform could a strong... maybe. :smile:

Keep Play'n. Peace