Why are wake-up supers frowned upon?

2»

Comments

• ChromeXChromeX Joined: Posts: 231
    most people PROS included frown upon wakeup super simply cus they can't confirm it, simply an issue of practice. tell me it cant be done....properly.... then challenge me on 2df. although a wakeup super is only a viable option with a super like kens (sa1-3), physical attack and VERY fast\a bit invincible. its only useful to maybe half the cast.
    Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
    You should call me Hadouken 'cause I'm down, right, Fierce"
  • ShinRyuXShinRyuX Joined: Posts: 136
    yang's sa1 is safe upon block. you can use it on wake up...but it's a one hit high parry
  • metricmetric - Joined: Posts: 1,203
    Mio, I hope you know Bodler is trolling. I don't know whats worse, his trolling skills or the fact that people are actually being trolled by him. :sweat:
  • True_TechTrue_Tech dragon the body Joined: Posts: 2,737 mod
    stop feeding the troll
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    weak up necro sa3..is good

I have to disagree with that. I myself am a Necro player, and using SA3 upon wake up is a very bad idea. 99% of the time you and your opponent will exchange blows and they end up doing more damage to you than electric snake does to them. Realistically electric snake can get only 1 or 2 hits before you get stuffed. If you're going to wake up super with Necro, make sure its Magnetic Storm. Then again, not even that is a good idea. You should save it until you know it'll connect to maximize damage.

Anyway, Wake up supers are just part of the game, and anyone who makes excuses from it is a scrub who thinks supers should only be connected through stupid ass combos. Obviously this player was either ken or chun li.
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,498
    Y'know, this was debated before. And realistically, you're only going to wake-up super in certain situations.

1) You smell the opponent's attack.
    2) Your character really doesn't have any other wake-up option.
    3) Desperation.

Situation 1. React accordingly. Why blow a stock? If you actually smell the attack coming, assuming your execution is good, if you've read the opponent, then block/parry/jump out of whatever your opponent throws at you. There's always another option.

Situation 2. You get this when you've got someone like SA1 Makoto or SA2 Alex. But at the same time, Situation 1's solution still applies. If you're good enough to see the reversal, then, again, react accordingly.

Situation 3. Play your trump card and hope you get lucky. Better lucky than good, right? Or something like that. Lucky will only get you so far in 3rd Strike. Besides, most characters have another wake-up move that you can at least use in place of wake-up super (shotos have Shoryuken instead of blowing a whole super, for example).
    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
  • MagnetoManiacMagnetoManiac EX MagMan™ Joined: Posts: 6,697
    this discussion should be "why are wake up PARRIES frowned upon"

wake up super is a lot cooler in my book.
    凸 (⊙▃⊙) 凸 Hold that
    Team "Get that shit outta here"
    So, do YOU know the match-up?! - team gdlk
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    Mio, I hope you know Bodler is trolling. I don't know whats worse, his trolling skills or the fact that people are actually being trolled by him. :sweat:
    Well I hope you know that your post was made about a month after my last post, where I smelled the trolling and abruptly stopped responding to him 1/3 of the way down the page...

But back to wake-up supers. When people start getting really offensive and are good at mixing up on your wake-up, you can find yourself in a situation where you guess wrong every time. That can be the time when you need to set the tone by using an invincible start-up super that tells him to back the fuck off. Other situations can be just like Duralath said: if you gain enough experience to smell the opportunity beforehand, then go for it. The only problem is that it's pretty hard to just guess right all the time with good players. They are always aware of your super meter, so you have to do it at a very unexpected time.
    this discussion should be "why are wake up PARRIES frowned upon"

wake up super is a lot cooler in my book.

why exactly are wake up parries looked down upon?
  • MagnetoManiacMagnetoManiac EX MagMan™ Joined: Posts: 6,697
    why exactly are wake up parries looked down upon?

i don't have a problem with people that do it all the time since it's free rape.

one could argue that 3s at a level is a guessing game. but wake up parries turn it more into a guessing game which i really don't prefer.

it does happen a lot to characters like alex who don't have too much of a low threat, or 12 since a good player really isn't afraid of what he can do.

wake up supers cover high, low, and throw meaties. wake up parry only covers 1 of them. at the cost of a meter though of course.

most characters that wake up with parry are like, urien, Q sometimes (after he has enough taunts), makoto, yun (i see it often). probably more but i can't think of any right now.

but wake up parry is just annoying. i guess it's the feeling that always comes to my mind which is "wow lucky guess"
    凸 (⊙▃⊙) 凸 Hold that
    Team "Get that shit outta here"
    So, do YOU know the match-up?! - team gdlk
    That's true. As a Necro player, people always parry my attacks on their wake up and I eat combos all day long. I do agree wake up parry is annoying, but it's something you have to overcome by mixing it up.
  • Gray FoxGray Fox Joined: Posts: 1,993
    If you are consistently successful or the means you use allow you to win, then ride that shit until it doesn't work anymore, adapt to the new problem, and repeat.

Playing differently because people are bitching is sort of counter intuitive because people tend to bitch when they lose....so you're probably doing things right.
    Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it, Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, Snap it, work it, quick - erase it, Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it, Lock it, fill it, call it, find it, View it, code it, jam - unlock it.
  • 1hitparry1hitparry Scrubasaurus Joined: Posts: 1,516
    If you are consistently successful or the means you use allow you to win, then ride that shit until it doesn't work anymore, adapt to the new problem, and repeat.

In the short run, I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. However it's good to build up an arsenal of wake up options other than wake up super so you face someone who does adapt, you don't get stomped on. But yeah, if it works, it works. It's your opponent's fault for not learning.
  • TheJokerCPCTheJokerCPC 8*A*8*A Joined: Posts: 1,178
    So much talk about the wakeup super any opinions on mixing up with opening round supers such as ShinHado?
    Put on my O.J. gloves and watch me kill this shit.

SSF4: AE - Guile
    3s: Ryu SAIII
  • Bill307Bill307 Joined: Posts: 548
    So much talk about the wakeup super any opinions on mixing up with opening round supers such as ShinHado?
    Personally, I sometimes buffer QCFx2 at the start of the round so that if my opponent whiffs a move with long recovery or does something like Yun's shoulder or EX mantis slash, then I can try to 1-button super them on reaction.

But deciding to do a super without waiting to see what they do first is almost always a bad idea, imo. (Except for Genei-Jin vs certain characters, obviously.)
  • TheJokerCPCTheJokerCPC 8*A*8*A Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Yeah I totally know it's risky but once you've fought someone a couple of times can't you just smell that whiff in the air? haha
    Put on my O.J. gloves and watch me kill this shit.

SSF4: AE - Guile
    3s: Ryu SAIII
  • Bill307Bill307 Joined: Posts: 548
    No actually, I don't use my sense of smell at all. I do it strictly on-reaction: no psychic powers are invoked.
  • drobizhdrobizh Joined: Posts: 416
    Some people say you should super on wakeup if you see an attack. What a bunch of bullshit. If you can see the attack why would you super through it. Parry it and hand out your most damaging combo rofl.

Don't make no mf-in sense anywayz.
    pretep.konzole-slovenija.com/forum/index.php

Slo fighting community.
    Some people say you should super on wakeup if you see an attack. What a bunch of bullshit. If you can see the attack why would you super through it. Parry it and hand out your most damaging combo rofl.

what if the super will do more damage than a combo? What if you straight up suck at parrying? It's not BS to super when you see a chance. If it's a combo based super then yes, combo into it, but for supers such as gigas breaker, magnetic storm, and etc what's so bad about activating it when you KNOW it will connect? Using magnetic storm I can take out 40% of my opponents life just because they let out a loose attack on my wake up.
  • comoesacomoesa not too bad.. Joined: Posts: 1,163
    Meh wake up super could care less.

If it workd it works, wakeup in this game is about taking risk since doing safe things like meaty crossup arent available to most characters inthis game.
    FOREVER NEVERMORE
  • RandomnessRandomness Yoga pokemon Joined: Posts: 314
    wake up super is usually simply not worth it, as has been stated several times already. there are occasions when it's nice tought, especially if you have a safe wake up super.

remy can do ex RRF and cancel the first hit into SA1 for a completely safe wake up that pushes the opponent half screen away. usually worth the meterburning if you're facing dudley or someone else that can almost instantly kill you if your in the corner.
    "You are not your battle points" - Tyler Durden
  • VPTVPT I give up... Joined: Posts: 765
    A lot of characters don't need wakeup super, like there's no reason for Ken to ever do it because he can just do dragon punch instead.
    I'm no pro, but wake up Shoryuken does not beat meaties (Ken's standing roundhouse, Yun/Yang's palm, etc.). His wake up reversal super does on the other hand.

I like to do Ken's wake up super since the invincibility beats almost anything (*almost). The only downside is that it's mad risky. I can predict the opponent into falling for it about 50% of the time--which is fine for casuals by my standards.
  • bodlerbodler The Unmixupable Joined: Posts: 1,068
    I never seen this in any match but I discoverd that wakeup elenas life regain has invincibility on wakeup. If done on wakeup anything that the oponent does will go trough it even ragin demon
  • ChromeXChromeX Joined: Posts: 231
    I'm no pro, but wake up Shoryuken does not beat meaties (Ken's standing roundhouse, Yun/Yang's palm, etc.). His wake up reversal super does on the other hand.

I like to do Ken's wake up super since the invincibility beats almost anything (*almost). The only downside is that it's mad risky. I can predict the opponent into falling for it about 50% of the time--which is fine for casuals by my standards.

wakeup shoryu beats like 70% of meaty moves O.o....im fairly certain the only ones that will beat it clean, no trade, are the "close" moves like with akuma hes got far mk and the close mk, or ken far mp close mp....and it can still be beaten if theyre meaty timing was bad. wakeup shoryus arent the best idea, not unless you know.
    Originally Posted by drobizh View Post

ppl can see wakeup attacks....i have. i cant consistantly, you have to be fast as the devil, it takes alot of practice but i have done it, and to answer you use a super and not a parry because once youve seen it and activated your super has them, 100% no bs. if you parry its still a guess parry cus youre now picking one of 2 options slows you down by 50%. i mean....see and drum or see think about is this a move i gota parry high or low and then parry before it hits you? gl with that
    Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
    You should call me Hadouken 'cause I'm down, right, Fierce"
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,126
    Let's face it. I play Hugo. and I play Hugo with Gigas Breaker. Now as you all know, it is already hard to land, and it becomes nearly impossible to set up if people are playing to avoid it. I notice people's playing style changes when my meter is full. So anyways, I was playing and I did a wake up gigas on someone, in which he yelled "Oh wow, a WAKE UP super". I don't see why is is so bad, considering I may never land it otherwise since his routine would consist of ex tatsumaki x infinity.

Anyone care to clarify for me? Are all wake up supers frowned upon? or is it just gigas? If there's a valid reason i'll admit I suck shit.

If the person you are playing is dumb enough to stand next to you on wakeup, as -HUGO- with -gigas fucking breaker Super art- and a fucking -full meter-, than that person is dumb as fuck shit and a little bitch.

Oh and you don't suck. Remember, the first rule to getting better in fighting games is to realize, like Neo in the matrix, "there is no cheap". No such thing. Doesn't exist. And if your opponent is bitching than he is unquestionable shittier than you, so feel good about that :)
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • chapelchapel Joined: Posts: 23
    I don't always wake up super... but when I do...
    no wait, I always wake up super, my bad.

I always assumed it was so telegraphed, that people would know how to bang out of it or defend against it. But when I see someone walking in on me on offense, I do it.

Also, I'm not all that good to begin with so I tend to flail a bit...

*this is in 3S mostly... and Super Turbo... and Alpha.
  • Totengott666Totengott666 sweep the leg Joined: Posts: 20
    Holy Necrobump Batman.
  • chapelchapel Joined: Posts: 23
    It was literally the first thing that popped up when I was searching 'Wake up super". I didn't even realize how old it was. I thought it said 8 days old, not years.
2»