Columbia, MO: It's just Too BRISK, baby

Comments

• SmokeMaxXSmokeMaxX T.O. of A.R.K. Joined: Posts: 7,974
    Hey guys, A.R.K. IV is coming up September 17th-18th in Jacksonville, AR! We are expecting ~200 people with games such as SSF4:AE, SF 3S:OE, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Melee, Brawl, BB:CS II, and more! Competitors are coming in from several states to compete!

Note that our tournament is working on securing sponsorships from well known companies which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. The Traveling Circus has expressed interest as of this time. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on the official tournament thread here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sep-17-2011-ark-iv-ssf4-mvc3-mk9-bb-csii-melee-brawl-more-jacksonville-ar.137427/
    I'd normally respond to replies on this thread, but I'm so busy with Med School that I don't have time. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional SRK community as a whole. Thanks guys!
  • DINOSAURDINOSAUR STRONGBRONY Joined: Posts: 43
    ooomg I am never playing H Miyako again. F Miyaki's air super loli elbow knocks down and 6C is actually good for something? Why play anything else?
    you'll get punished heavily if your just rushing down and pushing buttons...I think you should really sit down and think about GG fundamentals again or actually PLAY the game...
  • DINOSAURDINOSAUR STRONGBRONY Joined: Posts: 43
    roooofl 3S online is horrible on my K-Mart Internet connection. Some dude was doing hadoukens and the lag was so bad it looked like he was kara throwing them. Guess I don't get to play this one online.
    you'll get punished heavily if your just rushing down and pushing buttons...I think you should really sit down and think about GG fundamentals again or actually PLAY the game...
  • Omicron AustinOmicron Austin Downright Fierce Joined: Posts: 358
    Hey, Extrumentals, I had my first meeting with the other officers of the Competitive Gaming Team. Still no details, but everybody's cool with a stand-alone fighting game tournament not bogged down with Call of Duty and Starcraft 2, so that's a step up from last year. We're considering holding a Melee tournament at the same time, but I'm not sure if we will. If we get a school-sponsored venue, hopefully I can talk them into charging a venue fee as low as 2 to 5 dollars or so.

Right now, I mostly have to decide when I want it to be. I don't even have an idea for a month, let alone a day of the week (probably saturday).
  • BobSmackBobSmack BV CTO / FR Administrator Joined: Posts: 2,519 mod
  • ExtrumentalsExtrumentals Captain America? No, I use Sgt. Justice. Joined: Posts: 74
    Do you think they'll agree to it?
    I'm the best at what you do
    Alright, November 5 seems like the likely date for a tournament. No major details yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Still think you'll contribute about 5 people to the body count? I'd like a decent turnout so people here won't keep thinking fighting games are a joke. I feel like I'm not getting much respect from the Starcraft and Halo groupies in the Competitive Gaming Club. Ah well.

Oh, and the venue fee won't be more than 5 dollars. Might even be free, I dunno. I need some way to encourage setups to be brought.
  • ExtrumentalsExtrumentals Captain America? No, I use Sgt. Justice. Joined: Posts: 74
    You should make a new thread and link it to me and I'm pretty sure I can get 3-5 or more people to come along. What all is included when you say a set up? Like a t.v, system and game? Also, if you wanted to, you could YouTube advertise to for attention.
  • Saikyo SethSaikyo Seth Joined: Posts: 91
    Hey just a heads up, I no longer live in the Jeff City / Columbia area but I'll be by that way from time to time. I'm headed up that way this Friday if anyone wants to meet up for some matches. Unfortunately I don't have a pad or venue we could play at. It will probably be around early evening. Hit me up on here if you guys are interested. I'm crazy rusty but ready for some GGs.
    OYAJIIIIIIIIIII!
    Is Nov.5 still a go?
    We're having trouble securing the venue for that day, so I don't want to lock anything in and force commitments, but hopefully it's still a go.
    Game City would be a good spot.
    Yeah, I've got to delay it until I can get the spot for it.

Also, the idea was to get a free, easy venue on campus with university funding, so we just need to find a time we can reserve a spot.
  • BaztasticBaztastic Irregular Maverick Hunter Joined: Posts: 465
    Hey CoMo! this is Baztastic, a member of the St. Louis Bar Warz stream team. we've been bringing the hypeness every wednesday from our HQ for well over a half a year now to let the world know that the midwest knows how to get the fuck down in some Fighting Games! what we're trying to do now is get more info about us out there in the hopes that we all can help put the Midwest FGC on the map.

so, watch WNF, watch Big Two, but at some point tomorrow, please feel free to give us a look. we'd love to have you stream monster!

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...m-bar-battles-final-fight-ae-2012-umvc3.3383/

thanks for your time and hope to see you in the chat!
    xbl - bluberrylite
    | 1926 * 1931 * 1934 * 1942 * 1944 * 1946 * 1964 * 1967 * 1982 * 2006 * 2011 |
    http://stlbarwarz.tumblr.com/ - Check out Season 2 details and more
    www.facebook.com/stlbarwarz - Like Us!
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Hey, I moved back to Jefferson city so if anyone would like to meet up for some matches sometime send me a message and we can try and work something out.

Right now evenings are kinda bad for me, but I have some time available in the mornings and afternoons.

You can also add me on XBL: Saikyo Seth

Really hope there is still a scene in this area.
    OYAJIIIIIIIIIII!
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    This is it! Only one week remains to register for UFGT8, which goes down from May 25th to the 27th in Chicago / Northbrook, IL. If you choose to register at the door, it will cost $10 more than it does right now, and you will not be seeded regionally or by skill. Here are just a few of the reasons you need to be at UFGT8:

-Fun and Games corner, including Super Balrog Ball and DIVEKICK, to keep you busy winning prizes between your pool assignments.
    -Community panels, including discussions hosted by Justin Wong, Iron Galaxy Studios, and Victor "Sp00ky" Fontanz
    -Cheap trip! Hotel rooms are only $69 a night, and parking is free.
    -Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown beta and free tournament; the midwest's first chance to play FS!
    -FOUR Character Auction side events; SSF4AE, KoF13, SFxT, and UMvC3
    -The Ultimate Payout System, which scales payouts and bonuses with the number of entries in a game, and pays out roughly the top 10% of entries
    -Cash bonuses in SSF4AE, UMvC3, and SCV provided by EVO. Cash bonus in MK9 provided by WB/NRS. Cash bonus and custom arcade stick prize in Skullgirls, provided by Autumn Games.
    -Infinity Gauntlet trophies for 1st place in SSF4AE, UMvC3, SFxT, SCV, SG, MK9, KoF13, Mystery Game Tournament, Super Balrog Ball Tournament, and Divekick Tournament.
    -Over 80 raffle prizes, including nearly 40 arcade sticks. Everyone who pre-registers is automatically in the Door Prize Raffle, everyone who attends panels gets tickets to the Panel Raffle, and anyone who plays in the Fun and Games corner gets Fun and Games Raffle Tickets.
    -Every setup, provided by Focus Fire, runs on an "EVO" Asus monitor.

Head over to http://ufgt.us/ and click Register to get it taken care of. Preliminary pool assignments (subject to change) will be available online on May 21st for review, and you'll have a day or so to spot regional seeding problems and get them to me. The final set of pool assignments will be available on May 23rd. See you guys in just under two weeks, and please travel safely to Chicago.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • jd1nojd1no Joined: Posts: 11
    yo columbia. my roommate and i are trying to get some people playing marvel in this town. i know youre here, so let me know if yall wanna play. my gamertag is danger dino. id also like to try to get some sort of weekly thing goin like stl has, obviously not on the same night since bar warz is the shit. whatcha guys think? i mean, we're right in the middle of the state, no reason we cant get stl and kc players here too.
    Unfortunately, myself and a friend of mine are back in STL for a few months while school is out. We'll be going back to Columbia eventually, though, and I'll be glad to play whatever when that happens.
    Hey jd1no I'll try to add you on XBL. Try adding me if I forget. "Saikyo Seth" on XBL. I currently don't own Marvel but still play it sometimes so if we can get something up i'll come out to have my v.joe team bodied.

As far as XBL online stuff goes I have sfxt, skullgirls, and ssf4AE, SF3, kof 2002, and marvel 2 (which I'm horrible at) online. Don't know if any of these games are your thing. Crazy rusty at everything but sfxt at the moment but it comes back pretty quick.

Good to know there's others in the area into fighters.
    OYAJIIIIIIIIIII!
  • Dubya_FingazDubya_Fingaz Joined: Posts: 5
    Yeah i graduated but i will still be in freakin CoMo, it would be awesome to meet some folks that play fighters beyond hadouken inputs. I got UMVC3, and MVC2 skullgirls, tekken 6 VF5 and SFAE but im still just a intermediate player at best. Im in chicago at the UFGT tournament in chicago right now (my hometown).
  • jd1nojd1no Joined: Posts: 11
    sweet deal. you guys(if youre in columbia) should go into slackers and pester them about starting some fighting game tourneys there haha. ill add ya on live. we'll get some shit goin here!!!!
  • x7chaosx7chaos Joined: Posts: 61
    Hello everyone. I use to live in Columbia before I moved to South Carolina. I didn't get into fighting games until years after I had move. Just wondering how the community is in my old town.
    KOF XIII: Kensou/Athena/K'
    T6: Heihachi
    UMvC3: X-23/Rocket Raccoon/Akuma
  • dotsdfedotsdfe Joined: Posts: 2,315
    I go to school up at Mizzou (at least for another year, I'm graduating next spring barring anything going wrong) and was wondering if there's anything for local Marvel play up there. Given that this thread seems fairly dead overall, I'd be surprised to see anything, but it's worth a shot.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/jul-28-2012-como-stetics-columbia-mo.162056/

Sign-up, tell friends and help get this out there. I'm organizing everything and I also have this out on Fb, let's go CoMo!

http://touch.facebook.com/#!/events/427293797311138?__user=100003986413247
  • freefree Moving the soul. Joined: Posts: 583
    Forgot this thread existed, we still get together for the occasional Third Strike every now and then. Nice to see people still play here.
    like Tom Cruise off of Top Gun.
  • yoshemitzuyoshemitzu Joined: Posts: 1
    The post looks insanely dead, but in case someone else in Como is browsing it, add me on steam @ KenJennings or GFWL @ yoshemitzu47 for some matches. We could also possibly meetup for some offline at some point. I play on PC.
  • SmokeMaxXSmokeMaxX T.O. of A.R.K. Joined: Posts: 7,974
    A.R.K. V is about a month away and we'd love to see all you guys there! We're expecting about 200 people from ~10 different states (including confirmed attendance from Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, Louisiana, California, and Oklahoma) and are throwing in at least $1400 in bonus pots to support some of our games (including $600 each for AE and UMvC3). It will be on August 25th/26th in Jacksonville, AR with games such as Super Street Fighter IV: AE, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, King of Fighters XIII, Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Soul Calibur V, Street Fighter X Tekken, Mortal Kombat 9, and SkullGirls.

For more information (including an estimate on how much 1st/2nd/3rd will win in AE/UMvC3), visit the official thread here (http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/aug-25-2012-ark-v-1400-bonus-pots-feat-the-best-of-the-south-jacksonville-ar.158608/) or holler at me. For anyone who wants to come, I heavily encourage you to preregister online at www.arktourney.com/registration before August 18th to save money on venue fee.
  • MrJack01MrJack01 Seven Joined: Posts: 2
    Omfg, Ive crashlanded in heaven. Praise the thunder gods for the blessing that is Shoryuken. I thought I was screwed when I moved here -_-.
    Anyways, if anyone wants to play Blazblue, MVC2, Naruto Storm Generations, or pretty much any other fighting game dont hesitate to message me -_-.

Any tournaments around here for BB? or SF x TK?
    Also Im new to Missouri, I just moved here from FL, and I gotta say its pretty quiet for video gamers here...
  • freefree Moving the soul. Joined: Posts: 583
    Bumping this for any new bloods, post up or hit me with a message. Still a couple of us around that play.
    like Tom Cruise off of Top Gun.
    I'm looking to gather and grow the CoMo scene. On Facebook add CoMo gaming tournaments and join the group CoMo Colossal Clashes. Tell your friends and look for another tournament in the next couple months.
  • ModestDeityModestDeity Joined: Posts: 9
    I'm looking to gather and grow the CoMo scene. On Facebook add CoMo gaming tournaments and join the group CoMo Colossal Clashes. Tell your friends and look for another tournament in the next couple months.

I know a T.O. (ran small tourneys out of Slackers) in Jefferson City and some players there and maybe I can convince them to start coming to Columbia to play. I live in Fulton but work in Columbia so maybe I could get some sessions in the evening some time. Let me know. I'm really excited to have come across this thread, because offline play is so hard to come by!
    Yeah, if we can get more to this areas scene....or lack there of, we would be able to bring other areas in like a kc, stl, chi town, etc. What games do you play?
  • ModestDeityModestDeity Joined: Posts: 9
    Well I'll play anything, but my best games are probably the 3 newest from Capcom, UMvC3, SSF4AE, and SFxT. I'm decent at ST as well. I played Tager for a little bit in BB but I haven't kept up with his changes, terrible at 3S, GG, and every other fighter I haven't mentioned (especially 3D fighters).
    Ok CoMo, wake up! I'm trying again at getting this thing jumpin so Friday,Sat and most likely Sunday as well I'm open for a session. Lemme know what game and if you have and I don't, bring it. Or if someone is trying to host, post it and let everyone know. Let's get somethin goin.
    Friday I'm hosting a grind session and look to do this once a week. If you're in the the surrounding area of Columbia, please feel free to join CoMo Colossal Clashes on fb too.
  • MrJack01MrJack01 Seven Joined: Posts: 2
    Any gamers still out there in Mizzou land? Id love to get some fighting games going. I just moved here and dont really know anyone who plays fighting games, its always Call of Duty or Halo... Ugh....

I play Blazblue mainly but I love fighting games and generally play whichever one is available... except Ehrgeiz.
  • GnarrGnarr Monsterifik Joined: Posts: 394
    There are some players in CoMo. I would join the "STL BarWarz" Facebook group and ask for the como players. There are at least 3 or 4 that I know of. Most of them play SF4 and Marvel.
  • tierlesstierless Joined: Posts: 1
    Anyone Feel like gaming today can meet wherever. Message on facebook and I'll call for meetup :).

I'm going to go ahead and post here to say that if anybody new shows up in the Columbia area in the future, send me a message. I'm still here.

This post will remain true for up to one year from now, so don't get discouraged if this thread isn't active.