The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match Thread

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
Well you probably know this already but if you didnt, this remake of KOF 2002 is coming to the PS2.

While were at it, let the discussion/hype begin!

KOF2k2 has 43 playable characters, hoping this one will add 7-10 more characters so we can have over 50+.

Which character that was missing from KOF2k2 you like the most to appear in this remake?

For me is Heidern...i like him in 98' UM, but i like the '01 version better....I have a good feeling hes going to be in this game.

Comments

• Dandy JDandy J now you face a super saiyan shaolin Joined: Posts: 2,790
    im excited simply on the presumption that if they follow the same method as 98um and add every nests char, lin and jhun will be in
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
  • shadowkillershadowkiller Ama/Magneto/Tron Joined: Posts: 266
    If they bring foxy back and add diana id get it.
    It's been so long since I've fought in Midgard.(Freya)
  • CrisiumCrisium Kevin Joined: Posts: 199
    I want Heavy D! I like boxer characters so let's put him in.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    I hope they buff the gimped characters so the game is not as boring as regular 2k2. Making AAs not shit would be nice too. And they should make new music, because the original music is really fucking terrible.
  • DJ EtherDJ Ether Send them to the cementary. Joined: Posts: 236
    If that give it a little of that balancing treatment like they did wtih 98UM. I'm fucking pre-ordering that shit.
  • CrisiumCrisium Kevin Joined: Posts: 199
    Good point about 2k2 having terrible music. 2k3 got updated music in it's PS2/Xbox release, but 2k2 didn't and it really shows. 98 had good music though, so I guess they just sucked that year in the music department.
  • Jimmy BonesJimmy Bones U know the deal gee! Joined: Posts: 1,588
    Any pics or something?
    That'll be good.
    Also known as LordJimmyBones.

ST: Rog, O.Ken, Claw
    GGXrd: Leo
    SFV: Rog, Guile, Claw, Sim
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    This is being shown at TGS along with 98UM XBLA and KOF XII.
  • tatsunicaltatsunical tragic hero Joined: Posts: 863
    if they bring back heavy d then lucky glauber should tag along too. to me he was the best kof character ever
    Good point about 2k2 having terrible music. 2k3 got updated music in it's PS2/Xbox release, but 2k2 didn't and it really shows. 98 had good music though, so I guess they just sucked that year in the music department.

Eolith was the problem. 2k1's music was even more terrible, even if it's hard to believe.

I don't think D! will be in by the way, for some reason SNK never has two boxers in the same game.
  • experiMILKexperiMILK NAHuntsvile Joined: Posts: 287
    make ramon god tier ;_;
    SKRILL GURLZ
    2 TRILL GURLZ
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Heidern should have never EVER stopped being a charge character. Whoever came up with the idea of him being a motion character in Eolith should be hunt down and shot. :mad:
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge I am Hatred. I am the Night. Joined: Posts: 16,362
    ^^Replace Heidern with 99/2000 Robert and I feel the same way.

And there hasn't been anything released. No pics, no vids. So sit tight.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
    Heidern was fine as a non-charge character. Dunno why people freaked out about that.
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
  • FSgamerFSgamer Cheap Tactics!!! Joined: Posts: 1,315
    Hopefully SNKP won't take forever to release the game like they did with KOF98UM.

I'm wondering if they'll make any changes to MAX mode.
    FSgamer aka FS7 --- Cheap Tactics for the Win ---

random CvS2 player
  • YetonYeton King of Lurkers Joined: Posts: 127
    2k1's music was even more terrible, even if it's hard to believe.

Yeah, that stuff was awful. Sounded like someone farting in the bath. :rofl:
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,412
    new music and better sound quality,new backgrounds(old ones sucked),new art(please for god sake) and smoothed graphics
    nerf choi and billy kane
  • ryu-biryu-bi Come Back... Joined: Posts: 539
    an indicator showing when you can use the HSDM would be nice
    I pick number 7
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,231
    Can we get this shit on next gen please?

• CoosCoosCoosCoos Yep. Joined: Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man I have a big knack for learning high execution characters in SNK games.

I'm so learning both Angel AND May Lee for this real talk.
    AE: Fei

Marvel: Mag/Doom/Dante

UNIEL: Waldstein
  • Shady424Shady424 Joined: Posts: 378
    I'm assuming the console 2k2 extras might be in. King, Shingo, Rugal, and Geese for sure.
  • Random123456789Random123456789 Finally logged in! Joined: Posts: 551
    I'm assuming the console 2k2 extras might be in. King, Shingo, Rugal, and Geese for sure.

They were in the U.S. version with KOF01 bundle.
    What is there not to know??

Wonderful statement from Keits:
    "Children are not an opportunity to me. They are a 20+ year prison sentence."
  • OverworldOverworld Low Tier Joined: Posts: 1,595
    I agree with the new backgrounds, for most of the games I liked the backgrounds, 2k2 had really, really terrible ones.
  • Lazy Foo'Lazy Foo' Banned Joined: Posts: 109
    This is being shown at TGS along with 98UM XBLA and KOF XII.

Oct 9th cannot come fast enough.

I sure do hope they put the full KoF cast up until 2002. 64 Characters not counting alt versions. I can tell you getting them all on screen won't be easy. :rofl:

PS: That's obviously a crappy photoshop.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Heidern was fine as a non-charge character. Dunno why people freaked out about that.

Imagine Guile's Sonic Boom being a QCF motion and his Flash Kick being a DP motion (with both moves retaining the same properties).

It's THAT bad.
    They were in the U.S. version with KOF01 bundle.

Nope. KOF 2002 came out with 2003. KOF 2000/2001 came out in a bundle.
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,947
    Any game that allows me to play as my girl Angel is dope with me.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    Imagine Guile's Sonic Boom being a QCF motion and his Flash Kick being a DP motion (with both moves retaining the same properties).
    Except that Heidern's fireball doesn't have the crazy startup, speed, or recovery of a sonic boom, and moonslash isn't even invincible. He basically went from 'kinda shitty' to 'pretty good' when they took away his charges.
  • Mycah LeonhartMycah Leonhart The Pope of Bootyism Joined: Posts: 1,028
    Call me crazy but...

I'm looking more forward to '98 UM then '02 UM, I don't think there needed to be an '02 UM it's not THAT old and there is KOF NeoWave.

'98 is a CLASSIC and '98 UM is pretty much a Gumbo of the Orochi Saga it has EVERYONE from '94 to '98

If there was going to be a '02 UM it should have waited till 2012 and have XII's style, I think it's too soon for an '02 UM and it's too close to '98 UM and might overshadow it.
    R.I.P. Nate Hunt - Gone but never forgotten.
    Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens.......
    Netplay Fix = http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=214258&p=8269146
  • Jimmy BonesJimmy Bones U know the deal gee! Joined: Posts: 1,588
    '98 is a CLASSIC

Agreed.

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
    Also known as LordJimmyBones.

ST: Rog, O.Ken, Claw
    GGXrd: Leo
    SFV: Rog, Guile, Claw, Sim
  • Random123456789Random123456789 Finally logged in! Joined: Posts: 551

It's THAT bad.

Nope. KOF 2002 came out with 2003. KOF 2000/2001 came out in a bundle.

Woops. You're right, sorry. I knew it was one or the other. (shrugs)
    What is there not to know??

Wonderful statement from Keits:
    "Children are not an opportunity to me. They are a 20+ year prison sentence."
  • Lazy Foo'Lazy Foo' Banned Joined: Posts: 109
    Call me crazy but...
    If there was going to be a '02 UM it should have waited till 2012 and have XII's style, I think it's too soon for an '02 UM and it's too close to '98 UM and might overshadow it.

...can we please, as a board, stop with this notion that people can only play one game at a time? They had this senseless idea that SFIV is somehow going to kill SF2HDR and it's bullshit there, too.

I currently play ST on GGPO, 3s and CvS2 at the arcade, 98UM at parties, and the only thing that's stopping me from picking up Mahvel is Calc 2. I'm not going to get Super AIDS if I play more than one game at time.

I will say this, 98 has a better engine than 02 and 98UM will probably be better than 02UM even if it has then entire cast from 94 - 02. That doesn't mean 2k2 wasn't great (balance issues and all) and that I won't love playing 02UM.

And what's the point in waiting for HD KoF02 when KoF XIII is right after the next game?
  • orochi ryuorochi ryu Tevale Joined: Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Heidern should have never EVER stopped being a charge character. Whoever came up with the idea of him being a motion character in Eolith should be hunt down and shot. :mad:

Definitely.

Kof2002 is my favorite kof eva, so a remake sounds :tup:
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,134
    Maybe im the only one who is waiting to see this game on Arcade platform (Type-X2 i guess), KOF98UM and KOF2k2UM on the same local is godlike to me, but is just a hopeless dream.
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
    anyone complaining about Heidern losing his charge properties probably only played the game for a few minutes [which I can't blame you for] or has only watched videos. It's really not that bad and there's leagues of other characters better than him in that game anyways
    Iggy from MMcafe translated an interview with the producer for this game (and another one with the KOF XII producer posted in the KOF XII thread).
    KOF 02 UM

- So far, it?s on PS2. No other machine/arcade?
    NG: Not for the moment, but it will depends on the answer of the public. My priority here is to make a polished game.
    Y: The home version is our priority. We won?t work on any other version until the PS2 version is released.

- How far is it?
    NG: Around 65% done. It is playable, and it will be at the TGS.

High resolution like 94RE ?
    NG: We thought about it, but no.
    Y: We listened to the reactions to 94RE, and most of them was rather negative. That?s why we are doing KOF XII now: 94RE tought them that we had to create our high definition sprites from the start instead of basing them on existing old sprites.

The original 02 is still the most popular game of the series in Japan, and it is still played regularly. How did you try to create a game better than the original?
    NG: Each player has his own opinion. We listen to all of them, what we should keep, what we should change or fix, and chose exactly what to do to not destroy the original game. That was our first thought when thinking of new stuff to add.

KOF98UM added several new moves. Will you add some as well? Will you add some moves from 98UM in 02UM?
    NG: There will be much more new moves in 02UM than in 98UM.

Will you choose all the characters from 99 to 02, or go back from 94 ?
    NG: 02UM will use the Nests chapter as a base, so we chose the characters from 99 to 02.

What about the characters from non KOF games, like in SvC Chaos?
    NG: It?s difficult to answer. It?s still a secret? You may be surprised by some of our choices.
    Y: ? is there hope?
    NG: Well? I can?t be more precise before the TGS(w).

If we can use bosses in versus, do you think you will make modify them?
    NG: If we do that, of course we will. But if we do, we have to make sure the boss will still have his boss status, and still feel like a boss. We will change them so they can be used, and change not only their move properties, but even their parameters.
    Either way, it?s a home version, so you can imagine already (w)

The character from the Eolith era (K9999, Angel, etc) were erased from the Nowave port on Xbox. What about this time?
    NG: Well, I see many people wondering about this on the net. I can?t answer now, but at least, what I can say is: the game will have a Neogeo mode like 98UM did, and they will at least be there for sure.

New stages? Returning stages or BGM?
    NG: We won?t add new stage as much as creating new stages and BGM from scratch. There won?t be BGM or stages from the past game (s?). Some of the BGM will be arrange versions from famous old BGM.
    Y: The strongest point in 02 is its balance. This UM will be built around this, and change the rest. 02 was created in a very difficult time for us, and there are several points that need to be redone.
    By the way, Nowave used 02 as a base, but was a totally different game. Basically, 02UM is the 02 we would have created if we were making it now.

What about the most minor characters, like Kyo1 and 2?
    NG: I can?t talk about them at this point, but of course, they won?t be left out.

And the characters that were added in the consumer versions, like Shingo, Geese or Saishu?
    NG: Some of them may? You will see at the TGS? (w)

If you keep 02 as a base, do you plan to add strikers?
    NG: Since it?s the Nests chapter, we could have, but we decided to keep 02 the way it was. No strikers.

How will characters like Foxy or King find their ways into their teams?
    NG: There will be different teams and original teams. You?ll see at the TGS.

Ura characters ?
    NG: You?ll see, it?s a secret. We haven?t announced anything about the game, and I guess there will be much different questions after the TGS. Please come and play! Also, there will be a 98UM and 02 tournament as well.
    Y: And a 02UM tournament?
    NG: The 02 tournament will be on 02UM. We?re working hard on it. By the way, like last year, I will be there on the public day to play 1 on 1 against the players and chat with them.
    Y: I hope you have your helmet ready?
    NG: Please don?t throw eggs at me. It?s against the rules! (w)
    But I think the players who like the orientation of the project will be pleased with the game.
    Y: As we said earlier, several people want a new game with neogeo sprites. We heard their complains, and we are not going to change everything for the sake of it.

Good to know that the old backgrounds and music will be scrapped. And it seems that the Eolith characters drama was true since the producer can't say for sure if they will be in the rebalanced version.
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,311
    Hmm... I'm really hoping they put in something similar to Neowave's 3 "grooves;" i feel like that was one area where it was without a doubt better than just 2k2's max mode
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • JackTenrac!JackTenrac! Dollar Yen - Level 304 Joined: Posts: 2,808
    Looking good so far for SNK. No crap tracks please.
    Brett at T7- "Bearrama?!"
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
  • TurbovecTurbovec Crazed Johnny user! Joined: Posts: 1,000
    That sucks about K9999, Angel and I'm assuming May-Lee. It'll be a shame not to see them in the final product (or at least the latest revision), since they were one of the few good things to come from Elioth. But if that's the case, I can assume that the new KoF dream match will not include them as well. Then again, Angel in high-res might have been to much awesomeness for one game to have.
    I'm here to do 2 things. One, chew Bubble Gum. Two, kick ass. And I'm out of Bubble Gum.
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,410
    I'm pretty sure that it's just K9999 that they can't use, because Angel and May Lee have shown up at times since then and there was no problem. Angel is even in one of the newer Days of Memories games:
    http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/daysofmemories/daysofmemories4.htm
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/mobile/i-mode/special/dom_koto.php
    The seventh chapter casts you as a member of Iori's band, with younger versions of most of the characters, including Athena, Leona, Kula, and Angel.

The only appearance K9999 has made was a BG cameo in arranged version of 2003, and even then he had to be covered up pretty well.
    My guess is that he's allowed in any ports of 2002 since that game was completed before whatever company who owns the rights of Akira threatened legal action if he was put into any more games.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...